Middlebury School in Spain: Córdoba

The Middlebury program in Córdoba offers cultural and linguistic immersion through a rigorous curriculum and adherence to the Middlebury Language Pledge. By pledging to speak only the target language while abroad, students will have the best chance of acquiring fluency and actively engaging in the local environment. Participants take their courses directly in a local university, at the Universidad de Córdoba. All students are encouraged to get involved in the community through internships or interactions within the clubs and activities available.

• All course work is conducted entirely in Spanish
  • Students adhere to the Middlebury College Language Pledge
  • Direct enrollment at the Universidad de Córdoba
  • Courses available in many liberal arts disciplines
  • Housing in apartments

Angela

Challenging but rewarding!

I can't think of a better program to perfect your Spanish. Córdoba is small so you won't find many English speakers-which does kind of force you to keep the language pledge. The city is steeped in art history, so that's a great subject to pursue here. Finding apartments was challenging, and not all landlords are up front about the living experience they're offering. It's not the most hopping Spanish city, so I got some cabin fever (coming from NYC) but it's certainly one of the most beautiful.

Better assistance in terms of finding housing, better presence of Middlebury staff in the city itself. I felt like after we found our apartments and had gotten our programs squared away we were on our own, and while we had enough Spanish skills to function, we didn't have as much support as the students at the Madrid or Getafe schools, for instance. Also, the program should have a better network of people leasing apartments in Córdoba as I ended up with a pretty awful living situation since the landlord didn't enforce certain policies with my roommates and we had several facilities issues that he didn't feel inclined to resolve.

About Middlebury C.V. Starr Schools Abroad

The Middlebury C.V. Starr Schools Abroad feature 38 sites in 17 countries and are characterized by a focus on integration with the host culture, both linguistically and socially. In addition to taking academically rigorous courses, students are able...