Nongovernmental Organizations of South East Asia

Nongovernmental Organizations of South East Asia

The guiding questions of this class are: What is the role of nongovernment organizations in providing services and shaping policy abroad? How do these organizations emerge and evolve over time? What is the relationship between “western” funders and NGOs active in developing nations? How does charity and volunteerism differ in South East Asia? What are differences in the NGO sectors in Thailand and Cambodia?

We will be exploring these questions as we visit NGOs and meet with leaders in four cities in Cambodia and Thailand. Students will also conduct in-depth analyses of the groups we will be meeting with during our trip, leading to a better understanding of the challenges facing NGOs in the developing world, and the role of local, national and international actors in supporting economic development, health care, education, and human rights work.

Chiang Mai
Service Learning
Social Sciences
Sustainable Development
Letters of Recommendation
Cost includes: Tuition, excursions, housing, some meals, local transportation, medical insurance, on-site orientation, pre-departure and on-site support.

Great opportunity!

For those interested in the NGO world, this is a great opportunity to learn from working NGOs in Thailand and Cambodia. It included a nice mixture of NGO visits with downtime exploring tourist sites and gaining cultural competency. Physical workload was minimal; discussions after site-visits served as the "class time" while abroad. CIS staff were excellent and our group enjoyed traveling with them!

Great first experience to Southeast Asia

I had never been to Southeast Asia prior to this trip. My interest is in NGO management, so getting to explore a new place while studying what I loved sounded perfect. There was an even amount of face-to-face time with NGOs while we also had enough time to explore the cities and see the sites. My favorite memory was seeing sunrise over Ankor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia. We did it as a group, and it was an incredible sight.

Some of the cities could be skipped.

About GEO Study Abroad

At Global Education Oregon, we create pathways to international, experiential learning for students, faculty, and university partners. Founded on the belief that international engagement is integral to developing global citizens, we prepare students...