SIT: Vietnam: Culture, Change, and Development

Examine economic and social development in the cultural context of Vietnam, one of Asia’s most dynamic and rapidly changing countries.

Major topics of study include:

Pressing issues caused by rapid urbanization within the context of the Doi Moi “Renovation” economic reform
Challenges of sustainable development and current strategies for new rural development in the Mekong Delta
The effects of war, development, and tourism on Vietnam’s rich but increasingly fragile heritage
The lives of Hmong and Red Dao ethnic minority groups in the Sapa mountains

Alexandria

My Best Experience Abroad...Ever

SIT's program in Vietnam is an incredible opportunity. It is the most immersive program I have ever taken part in- from homestay families in Ho Chi Minh City to eating local food and trekking through the rice paddies in Sapa. You will travel everywhere from remote jungle to mega-cities that never sleep (especially when Vietnam wins a soccer match!). Experiential learning is the focus of this program, so while the material may not be difficult, you are constantly learning something new (including how to cook a local dish like Banh Xeo, how to buy clothes in a Vietnamese market, etc.). The food is phenomenal and unbelievably inexpensive, I would suggest trying everything! It is so easy to engage with the culture, explore, travel, and make lasting relationships. The coffee shop culture is also huge there, and every coffee shop is a unique space with delicious drinks! Definitely get the golden bubble tea from Koi.

Make sure you have an easy-going attitude! Schedules are definitely subject to change last minute, but I had no issue with that.
Charlie

Chick to Sparrow

Overall, being part of the SIT Vietnam Culture, Social Change, and Development boosted my confidence and abilities to be independent and versatile. Travelling internationally became an enlightening and fun experience to meet new people and cultures. Being able to widen my cultural immersions, global perspective, and foreign discoveries gave direction toward a path I wanted to seek and be an active global citizen. My time with SIT abroad gave me the opportunity to meet, understand, and appreciate the multiculturalism around me.

My experience in Vietnam was very unique as I went knowing the language at an intermediary level. The SIT staff members, faculty, and student volunteers were all extremely nice and forthcoming. They were very eager to help and show us around on their mopeds. In addition to the support, our travels throughout the country was exquisite. We got to see lots of different cities, environments (delta, mountains, urban, rural), climates, nonprofit works, etc. in 16 weeks roughly. A grand tour of the whole country was nice and pleasant in addition to learning about the history and development of the county over the years. The coursework was very self-oriented which is a style of teaching I preferred as I have more room for interpretation of my writing direction and project.

Biggest thing I got from the experience is the travel bug, and life-long friends. I had the opportunity to travel with my local peers and revisit them during a graduation trip back! I significantly improve my language as well, placing Advance-mid for my speaking and Advance-low for reading and writing. I hope others take on the time study abroad experience!