University of Toronto TEFL Online

By University of Toronto TEFL Online   Reviews (25)   90% Rating

The University of Toronto offers an online TEFL course designed by faculty from a Top 20 university worldwide. The TEFL Online curriculum was designed by the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) at the University of Toronto, a department which ranks 9th in the world for Education.

TEFL Online is offered 100% online with 100-hour, 120-hour, and 150-hour certificate options. Teachers who enroll in the 120-hour or 150-hour courses can choose two elective specializations to tailor their TEFL certificates for their career.

The University of Toronto's TEFL Online provides distinct advantages for ESL teachers:

1. Quality of instruction - The University of Toronto is a top-ranked university, and TEFL Online's instruction is internationally recognized for its quality. Upon completing the course, graduates will receive a professional certificate from OISE at the University of Toronto.
  2. Accessibility and Flexibility - TEFL Online is 100% self-paced, and is accessible anywhere, at any time. Students can choose between the 100-hour course, or the 120-hour and 150-hour intensive courses that include two specialization modules.
  3. Job placement - TEFL Online is partnered with Teach Away Inc., a leading international teacher recruitment agency. Graduates of TEFL Online automatically receive free job placement services from Teach Away.

Enroll today in TEFL Online, and choose the TEFL certification that's right for your ESL career.

North America › Canada › Toronto
Teaching Practicum
Training Type
Online
Training Length
100hours
Job Placement
995.00

Hi Tasheira, Thank you for your question! If you are currently applying for placement through the Teach Away website, there are a few things to be mindful to ensure that your applications stand out. 1...
There are several units in the course that you must complete in order to get your certificate. After each unit there are small quizzes to test your knowledge and also a written portion that is graded...
Hi Jessica, I haven't taught in either Seoul or Finland, however I have taught in Dubai and I loved it! Traveling and teaching are two of the most rewarding activities anyone can do. I found it to be...
University of Toronto TEFL Online

Rating Values

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Tamekeng
NOUAKCHOTT-MAURITANIA

My Experience

Overall 10

I have been teaching English Language for over the last three years in Africa.I have always been appreciated by my schools and students as a good teacher.But when I took the initiative to pay for the TEFL 150 hour course ,I realized that I had throughout my teaching been violating my students rights. Most of the time I decided and imposed on them. I spent a lot of energy during teaching. Infact, it’s stressful. After going through the section on Classroom Management, teaching now is less stressful and more of a fun.Even my students have noticed it. Some keep on asking me why I didn’t introduce the methods I am now using the previous years. I can’t tell them that I was not really a teacher. The program is so rich .The course administrators are accessible all the time.My internet connection eventhough is not strong,gave me little or no problem. I completed the course for a period not more than 4months at my own pace. I strongly encourage all aspiring teachers not to continue wasting their time before paying and start enjoying the course to do so immediately.For,you will neither regret nor be the same. Thank you so much The University of Toronto!

Just keep on doing the good job you've been doing

Volodymyr
Odessa, Ukraine

Great experience

Overall 10

There are a lot of TEFL certificate programs out there, but the one that I always recommend to teachers looking to teach overseas is the TEFL certification through University of Toronto. Unlike many TEFL programs out there, University of Toronto is internationally-recognized. This means that the teacher training will be recognized around the world. This is very important as there are several TEFL programs that are NOT recognized. The course itself designed really great and provides all the info needed for an ESL teacher. I would definitely recommend to my colleagues.

Omar
Gander

Amazing Course

Overall 9

The online course was amazing, easy to navigate, and most importantly provided great tips and material for you to know as a TEFL instructor. My favourite parts of the course were little 1-5 minute video clips of actual instructors talking about their experience overseas. This was great because it was much more casual and gave you a better idea of what situations you might get into while teaching.

Looking back on it now I believe a small amount of the links that were provided in the online course did not work (either out-dated or the hyperlink address must have been changed).

Yamir
Wilfrid Laurier University

WOW... SO IMPRESSED!

Overall 10

The TEFL course content was great and was easy to work through at your own pace. I really liked the focus on English and the tests were not too hard because I always felt prepared after doing the work before. I took a look for a long time to see what TEFL certification courses were available and this one seemed to be the most convenient and easy for me to complete on my own time. I will be leaving soon to teach overseas and I can't wait to use the new skills and my confidence that I have gained by completing this course!

ITS THE BEST!

Oana
Trent University

Great TEFL Course

Overall 10

I must have spent a week of researching the best TEFL Course to take. I wanted to invest in a course that was by a great university and 100% online (have a full time job and not much free time).
After talking to Christie about some questions I had, I signed up in February 2016. I took the course from home or the cottage (it works great on an ipad). I finished the course in 3 and a half weeks. The course is not very difficult and a couple of times that I needed some clarifications, I heard back from their support department within a couple of hours.
I have applied for a few teaching in positions in Thailand and Abu Dhabi. For both positions I have an interview scheduled this week. I am confident that the TEFL Certificate from University of Toronto was a big boost in securing these interviews.
Highly recommended. This is an actual certification course from a top university; unlike some tefl courses going for 1/10-th of the price but are a waste of time.

Karyn
Parry Sound, ON

TEFL Course (Karyn)

Overall 9

The TEFL course was very enjoyable and the content was great. I enjoy how they make sure that you are learning everything about teaching English from creating lesson plans to preparing yourself into going overseas. I am very excited to start my journey overseas and see everything it has to offer. I leave in a month for South Korea and could not be more happy. Everyone in the process has been great from the start of my TEFL course to finding a job and going overseas.

N/A

Jalil

The right course I needed

Overall 10

I was graduated as a TEFL teacher from a different college many years ago and have worked in a few countries both in state and private institutions. In the past 6 years, I've been teaching EFL mostly online and as a volunteer. So, after a long break from classroom activities, I needed a refresher to catch up with the most updated approaches and techniques, especially in the use of multimedia and teaching test preparation, which is in demand nowadays. U of T TEFL course was the right course I was looking for and I enjoyed it a lot. It's well structured and includes everything you need in order to deliver a successful classroom activity. It worked for me as an experienced teacher but it's also perfect for anyone starting a career in TEFL. Also, I'm from Toronto and I know what it means to be certified from the prestigious U of T !

Short videos from a real classroom activity e.g. how to give instructions, how to motivate students, etc.

Montreal
Université de Montréal

Okay course, you mostly pay for the name of the University on the certificate!

Overall 6

I completed the course quite easily. The tests are easy and they're a simple repeat of all the practice questions you get while completing the units. The information taught is interesting, though superficial. I really appreciated all the handouts they give for each unit, I think these we'll come in handy. Since everything is in "powerpoint" style, but on video, taking note is not super easy. You have to re-write everything, no copy pasting possible unless you do screenshots. They give lesson notes but they are in pdf format, so un-editable for most of us and they are crappy notes... You have to complete reflexion journals for each unit: the topics are interesting, but they do not give any usable feedback when reviewing them. If you write them you pass I guess, whatever you write in them. I would have appreciated a bit more effort in commenting these journals, so that my "reflexion" could grow, if that makes any sense.

As for the job assistance, it is non-existant. They have a website with job postings, and that,s pretty much it. When I asked for some support or help, or advice, they sent me an email saying that I was doing a great job at building my profile, that it looked good. Nice, but completed useless. Most of the job posting are a direct to school type of application, so Teach Away actually doesn't do anything. I think it's obvious that I am very unsatisfied with their support. I though that by applying at UoT with Teach Away, I would have some help sorting through the postings and the scams and the legit offers. I was so wrong...

So as I said, you pay for the name of the University I guess. Is it a good thing? I don't know!

Provider Response

Hello, Sarah! We value the feedback of all of our graduates and appreciate your time in offering a detailed review. I am happy to hear you were able to progress through the course with ease. In regards to journal reflection assignments, though the feedback provided is brief I can assure you all of your reflections were reviewed first-hand and graded according to your direct efforts. In regards to jobs assistance, although The University of Toronto TEFL Online does not guarantee job placement for graduates via Teach Away, we are committed to providing graduates of our program with the guidance to feel confident in their choice to teach abroad. It is important that graduates contact the TEFL Online program directly for teach-abroad assistance, and not Teach Away. --- You will be receiving your official certificate from the University of Toronto soon. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected] with any questions or comments!

Sara
Toronto, ON
University of Toronto

In depth and informative

Overall 8

I took the 150 hour course, with specializations in Teaching Business English and Teaching English to Arabic Speakers. As a full-time student, doing the certificate online was really helpful as it allowed me to do the course on my own pace and free time. I think if you're a more practical learner, this might not be for you, but personally I liked the online aspect a lot. I found the courses to be very in-depth, the material gets very theoretical but it becomes easy to understand because it's all explained really well. The quizzes and journals were all great too because they focused on everything you've learned up to that point so there were no surprises (very straight froward). Staff responded really quickly and efficiently to any concerns or questions I had about the course which also made things much easier for me. All in all, would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to get a certification to teach abroad or to improve/add on to any qualifications you already have. I thought the course was a little too pricey at first, but you have to keep in mind that you are getting a lot of information and material including tips and handouts to keep with you, so it balances out really well. The specializations are great too because they can make your teaching resume more attractive depending on where you want to teach and they provide more in-depth info about what you want to learn about that wasn't offered in the regular curriculum.

More assistance with job placement after completion with the course. Material was a little repetitive at times

Isha
New Bedford, Massachusetts
University of Massachusetts- Dartmouth

TEFL with the University of Toronto

Overall 8

I recently completed my 150 hour TEFL course with the University of Toronto, specializing in teaching English to Koreans and teaching business English, and overall it was a positive experience. The content of the course is both relevant and enlightening. Each unit is broken into manageable portions, and the interactive material is easy to navigate. They also provided really great resources and links. Make sure you take lots of notes as there is tons of great information that you'll definitely need to review. The tech support was excellent, they got back to me almost immediately any time I experienced an issue. All in all I would recommend this course to anyone who is seeking a teaching position!

The part of the program that could be improved upon is getting the students better connected with teaching positions after they complete it.

Shilpa
Mumbai, India
University of Queensland

Well-Structured Course

Overall 9

I started the course in 2013, but needed extra time to finish this course. I took the 100 hour course, and the university were flexible enough to award me 2 extensions.

The course was extremely well structured, and the units were well presented and detailed. The reflection journals were especially helpful as they covered all aspects of the unit we studied. Sometimes I felt the assessment was too easy, but it was definitely for the most part, challenging.

I would ideally like that for the 100 hour courses, there be an option (for an extra fee) to be able to continue and choose a specialization. This option, which is available only to the 120 & 150 hour courses is included after you complete your basic certificate. If this was extended and given as an extra payable option, it would prove very useful.

Carisa
Al Ain, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Jackson State University

Quick Responses but No Help with Job Placement

Overall 7

The overall experience of completing the 150-hour TEFL course was good. Each time I e-mailed a member of the TEFL team, I received a response within 24 hours. The content was extremely helpful and useful for teaching ELL students. However, upon completion of the course there was no assistance with job placement.

Some of the attached videos would not play depending on the computer I was using. Once I was informed about how to bypass the videos, everything else flowed smoothly.
I would definitely have liked some assistance with job placement. Simply telling me that I should apply anywhere I was interested in working was not at all helpful.

Provider Response

Hi Carisa, Congratulations on completing our TEFL Online program! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the course, and received responses to your questions and technical inquires in a timely manner. Our course if offered in combination with Teach Away, and all graduates are encouraged to set-up a teacher profile on the Teach Away website to browse and apply for jobs that fit their qualifications and experience. Although placement through Teach Away is not guaranteed for graduates of TEFL Online, if you have questions regarding Teach Away job placement as a TEFL graduate we would be happy to receive them at [email protected] or by telephone at 1-855-833-5665

Philip
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
University of Toronto

Enjoyable

Overall 10

I found the course to be enjoyable and very informative.

I found the degree of difficulty to be appropriate and any concerns / questions I had were promptly dealt with by the course co-ordinator.

I am very happy I undertook the course with the University of Toronto and am most happy to recommend it to anyone considering TEFL as a vocation.

Many thanks to the University.

Philip Dean
(Australia)

No program is perfect. I don't think I would change anything.

Meera
Australia

Staff Support; Placement

Overall 6

The staff were fantastic resolving minor issues like inability to access documents but also with providing extension on the time frame for completion when I couldn't finish the course due to unforeseen family events.

I haven't tried any foreign placement so am unable to comment on that.

Repetition of some aspects of the course course in the specialisations.

Judy
Austin, TX
University of Texas- Austin

Great course

Overall 10

Very interesting course. The content was appropriate and can be used.
The instructors were interesting and added variety. I am sorry it is over and may take additional courses in the future if time allows.

There were occasional technology glitches either from my computer or the program. When they initially happened, I was looking for contact information and it was difficult to locate. I made some expensive phone calls internationally before I was able to reach the correct source to address my questions.

Bozeman, MT
University of Washington

As Expected

Overall 7

I took the 120-hour TEFL course in preparation for my time overseas and was working a more than full-time job at the same time. I found the core material was generally challenging. The printable activities were helpful and the handouts made for good examples. I found the videos to be beneficial depending on the speaker, though some were not as engaging as I had hoped. The course was usually pretty self explanatory and could be somewhat redundant in format - something others may prefer more than me.

If there had been a book along with the course, it would have been easier to follow along. I found the tests were often too easy and not necessarily helping me to retain the information. Overall it was a decent course for online, though having more engagement with a staff member (grading assessments, commenting on journals, etc) would have made this course stronger in critical thinking. I think the various sections are lacking in consistency of difficulty as different individuals present each one - this could be streamlined. The only practical piece of my experience was my own time volunteering in an ESL classroom to SEE the material in action. If their were more video examples of the strategies and tools, that would be helpful. Overall it was a decent course.

Marc
Mexico
York University

Totally worth it

Overall 9

This course has given me much more confidence into being a teacher than other certification centers. Language schools recognize this program and the material learned in new teachers. They give you so much information that at time it's overwhelming but good to have in order to go back to it later on.

Some slides are glitched and need to be fixed. The technical staff took its time on telling me how to fix it myself and when done so they were kind of rude about it. As if it's my fault the slide glitches and I don't know how to fix it myself.

Kevin
Hong Kong

120 hour TEFL course

Overall 9

This was a really useful study programme, that allows you to complete the course at your own pace. The programme content is both relevant and interesting.
A couple of minor technical issues were resolved within 24 hours allowing me to continue the course after using the online contact facility.
I am already teaching abroad, but felt this course was really helpful in reinforcing what I needed to know.
Big thank you to the course team.
Kevin Robinson

Sometimes the video input did not work on my macbook, no great problem as the content was included within the course notes.

Philip
Sultanate of Oman
University of Manchester

Most impressed

Overall 10

I am a vastly experienced TEFL teacher with two Master degrees including one in Education. I undertook this course in order to fulfil an administrative prerequisite. Before the course, I thought the course would be both a stroll in the park if rather boring. I was completely wrong on both counts! Not only was the course challenging and thought-provoking, but it proved a reinvigorating process that has taught me so much. Most impressed.

May I take a respectful bow towards the University of Toronto. Thank you.

There were some minor computer glitches and explanatory inadequacies.

Linda
Lethbridge, Alberta

Completely Satisfied.

Overall 10

Let me start off and explain why a 1 was given on the job placement question. My motivation for taking this course was not to teach abroad, possibly in the future, but to further my current career. I can not rate something that I have not utilized.

I loved how this course allowed me to work at my own pace and I never felt time pressured. It is easy to navigate around the lessons.

I had some technical issues a couple of times but the support was right on top of it.

Overall I more than satisfied with my choice to take this specific TEFL course over the local college course. I am quite confident this course has given me the tools to succeed.

It seems that information from early lessons just got rehashed in later lessons or in the specialization courses. When that information came about there were times that I thought 'we have already been through this'. I can understand why this is done, to reiterate tools and strategies, so that you can be comfortable with the information and to refresh memories. I understand it but I still think it can be a waste of time, energy, and funds to go through something twice. This is by no means a negative as I really did enjoy this course and would do it all over again as it stands.

Essie
United Kingdom
University of Derby

Comprehensive course

Overall 8

I found this course very comprehensive and convenient to complete - you can access it from any computer or mobile device, so you can study for a lesson wherever you have internet or wireless access. There is a good mix of reading, written activities, video and interactive elements, so the lessons are always engaging, and I genuinely enjoyed working through the different modules. Most modules require you to complete and submit multiple 'reflection journals', so making notes and taking your time with each lesson is recommended. I took specialisations in Teaching Business English and Teaching English to Young Learners - there are various topics to choose from, and I think this is an area in which they can expand the course even further. I completed the 120-hour course in 2-3 months, and found the sections on grammar particularly useful.

In terms of support, I received prompt replies from course staff whenever I had a query, and all communications have been friendly and helpful. There is quite a wait until you receive your certificate, but they offer an free electronic copy whilst you await its arrival. No information yet about a work placement now that I've completed the course - this is the only stall in communication so far.

More clear direction for students who have completed the course and which to look at placement options. There were a couple of glitches when viewing lessons on a Windows tablet, so perhaps just checking for compatibility across different browsers could prevent any future issues.

Ahmad

My experience with UoToronto tefl Online

Overall 10

I have taken this course between June and August 2013 and then two modules which were Teaching English for Young Learners and Business English.
In a modern environment and completely on-line delivery this course taught me everything I need to have the confidence to apply for a TEFL teaching job. The course has a lot of video and audio that add more to the information and advice from the experts. I think that this course fully covers the theoretical and practical aspects that you might need to know to be a successful teacher. I highly recommend this class especially that it is backed by Teach Away's support for you to find your dream teaching job.

francesca
Ryerson University

Fantastic Course!

Overall 10

U of T TEFL Online was a great investment, which has enhanced my knowledge of teaching and the English language.

I took the 120 hour course and specialized in Teaching English to Korean speakers and Teaching English to Young Learners. They offer other practical specializations that will help you in your placement field.

TEFL's partnership with Teach Away allowed me the opportunity to work with a Placement Coordinator. I was supported throughout my application process.

When I enrolled there weren't as many specializations being offered and I could only take 2. But I just checked and they offer more plus a 150 hour option!

Australia

Great course!

Overall 10

I enrolled in the University of Toronto's TEFL Online course as I was looking for an online TEFL certificate that would assist me with teaching abroad. I found the course to be very practical, with lots of useful information and suggestions that I will be able to apply when working with ESL learners. It was great to be able to work through the course at my own pace and I have kept copies of the additional hand-outs that are provided throughout the units.

Overall, I found this course to be a great addition to my teaching degree and I look forward to using my new skills when I teach abroad in South America later this year!

There were a few technical errors that I believe have since been fixed.

Kathleen

Highly recommended

Overall 9

I highly recommend this course for those seeking to complete a TEFL certification. It is a great addition to your resume, in particularly for overseas teaching positions.

The course was very informative and well-designed. I particularly liked the 'practical' ideas and advice that I believe would be useful to new and also more experienced teachers.

Overall, I enjoyed completing the University of Toronto TEFL course.

Adding more specific units depending on what type of position you are looking for e.g. working with early years students, adults.

The University of Toronto TEFL Online course was designed by professors at the University of Toronto, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) which ranks among the top 20 universities in the world. Self-directed and 100% online the program offers teachers world-class TEFL training and a globally recognized certification.

To find out how to enroll in this online TEFL course, visit the University of Toronto TEFL Online website.

Community Photos: