Online TEFL Certification Courses
Guide to online TEFL certifications
An online TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification course is a training program that prepares you to teach English abroad and covers topics such as grammar, classroom management, lesson planning, and more. Not only can a TEFL certificate open up doors to higher salaries, but they give you the confidence to lead a classroom of students of all languages and cultures.
Depending on your goals, enrolling in an online TEFL course could be a great option since you can become a certified teacher without having to leave the comfort of your home. Learn about online TEFL certificates and decide if this route is right for you.
Benefits of getting TEFL certified online
When weighing the pros and cons of getting TEFL certified online, there are several clear benefits.
- Flexible schedule: Online TEFL courses are a good choice for people who are currently working or have other time commitments. Most programs are self-paced, allowing you to complete work when you have time. They are available in both full-time and part-time formats which adds to the flexibility.
- Saves money: Doing a TEFL certification from home helps you avoid costs you would incur during an in-person course. You’ll save money not paying for transportation, accommodation, and activities.
- Can be done anywhere: You can do your TEFL certificate anywhere in the world when the classes are on your phone and laptop. If you’re traveling for work, pleasure, or family engagements, you can bring your course with you. It’s especially handy for digital nomads who are currently country-hopping.
- You can get started right away: In-person courses have set start dates and attending them requires months of planning. With an online TEFL certification program, you can begin your course often as soon as you pay the course fees.
How to choose an online TEFL course
Choosing an online TEFL course doesn’t have to be overwhelming. Here are some of the top things to consider when making your decision.
- Accreditation: There is no single, international accreditation body that evaluates the world’s TEFL courses. Reputable online TEFL programs will instead be accredited by an independent or national organization.
- Cost: Online TEFL courses range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand, depending on the company you choose.
- Time length & instruction: Many schools will require a minimum of 120 training hours before you can start teaching English abroad, but you can take advanced training of up to 250 hours or more.
- Live teaching practice: Some employers specifically look for TEFL-certified candidates who have had live teaching practice, whether it was in-person or online.
- Job placement assistance/support: Many TEFL providers offer job assistance to their graduates, sometimes for life!
Online TEFL Courses
View the latest teaching job postings on our job board.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are online TEFL certificates recognized?
Online TEFL certificates are recognized by employers all over the world. As long as your program is accredited and meets the number of hours required (at least 120), your TEFL certification will likely be accepted.Related Content
How can I get my TEFL certificate online?
Once you choose your program, apply, and are accepted, you can usually start right away! Many online TEFL certification programs are self-paced.Related Content
Is an online TEFL certificate worth It?
Yes! Online TEFL certificates are worth it if they fit your goals, budget, and lifestyle. If you’re looking for a traditional classroom program or want to do your certification abroad, then an online program may not be right for you.Related Content
What is the best TEFL certification?
There are many fantastic TEFL training companies so it’s hard to say which is the best. The best company for you will be one that checks your major boxes: budget, timeframe, support, and self-paced vs. live sessions.Related Content
Is it better to have a TEFL or TESOL certificate?
TEFL and TESOL certificates can both be used to teach English abroad. The only difference is that TESOL certificates are traditionally geared toward teaching non-native English speakers in native English-speaking countries.Related Content
Is it hard to pass an online TEFL course?
Online TEFL courses are rigorous and will require you to do readings, assignments, and even live teaching practice. You will need to work hard but many programs include tutoring in the course fee in case you need more support.Related Content
Can you fail an online TEFL course?
Although it is possible to fail a TEFL course, it’s rare. Many TEFL course providers allow students to redo assignments and are enthusiastic about providing extra support to anyone struggling.
How long does it take to get a TEFL certificate?
Full-time TEFL certificates can usually be completed in a month while part-time programs run for as long as 6 months.