Teach English Abroad in Chile with CIEE

Teach English Abroad in Chile with CIEE

Teach in Asia in 2018, and get paid!
Looking for a way to travel and teach abroad and still earn a competitive salary? CIEE can help you make it happen! Our Teach Abroad programs in China and South Korea start in February 2018. Teach in Thailand has one and two-semester opportunities with start dates in May 2018. See you there!

Teach Abroad and experience Chile's unique landscape, language and culture. You'll find towering mountains, deserts, and beaches side by side, as well as indigenous cultures and Spanish influences, all jumbled together in Latin America's most prosperous country.

CIEE's Teach in Chile program offers classroom teaching jobs at community colleges in cities throughout the country. Intermediate Spanish skills are required.

CIEE's Teach in Chile Professional program connects teachers with private English instruction clients through a prominent language training company in Santiago. Participants travel throughout the capital and teach both young children and adult professionals. Spanish is not required, but you will need at least a year of formal or informal teaching experience.

Both programs require TEFL certification or equivalent, so CIEE's 150 hour TEFL and Teacher Preparation course is automatically included!

• Includes 150 hour online TEFL certificate program
Exclusions
Airfare
SIM cards
Visa
$2,900 program fee includes online TEFL certificate program, orientation on arrival, temporary accommodation, international travel and emergency medical insurance (US citizens and residents), pre-departure orientation course, and continuous support from CIEE staff based in Chile and the USA.
Concepcion, Melipilla

Lauren
Austin, TX
Texas Christian University

CIEE Teach Abroad in Chile

Teach in Chile provides a wonderful opportunity for the experienced or first time traveler. They offer college graduates of all ages the chance to live and work in another culture, language, community, and hemisphere. What makes this program unique is their phenomenal orientation program starting right when you get off the plane. It gives you the tools to succeed from the beginning so that you can figure the rest out on your own. This program impacted my life by directing my career choice. It furthered my passion for international education and continued to strengthen my intercultural knowledge. Going abroad teaches you how to be flexible, curious, and open-minded, but teaching abroad with CIEE goes steps further by immersing you in the Chilean workplace and pushing you outside your comfort zone to truly live as a Chilean. You always have support if you need it, but they encourage you to truly integrate. I would highly recommend this program, especially to those looking to improve their Spanish. Don't miss Parque Bicentenario!

Frank
Santiago
State University of New York- Plattsburgh

CIEE Chile

Some days I leave the DUOC, the institute that I work at, and I quench my hunger and thirst with a delicious "rico mote con huesillos" in the plaza. On other days I board the bus to go and explore a random city. Teaching in Chile with CIEE is well worth the investigation. Whatever you do, Chile and the CIEE offer satisfaction. The program provides English teachers with a valuable teaching and learning experience. It provides you with the chance to teach as a professor in a real upper-level learning environment. With this experience you really get to test yourself and explore your passion for teaching a language and learning about another culture.

This program can be improved by offering more information, provided by teachers and alumni of the program, to those who are interested in teaching in Chile. For example, each professor from each sight should be required to write about the sight they are working at and their likes and dislikes about it. For me it wasn't easy to decide which sight I wanted to teach at and feedback from passed teachers would have really helped me make a decision.

Hanna
Orlando, Florida

Overall, fantastic!

CIEE has gone above and beyond my expectations since the beginning. The application process was easy and simple. They were always eager to answer my questions and provide me with information. I am so glad that I went through them instead of trying to do it on my own. The visa application process was intimidating at first but they helped me through the process in the States as well as when I arrived in Chile. Also, the online preparation course that I took while I was still in the States gave me a piece of mind because it explained what expectations I should have living and teaching in Chile. Once I arrived, our group of new teachers had a week of training in Santiago where we were educated about a variety of topics that we might encounter in Chile: housing, transportation, Chilenismos and the language barrier, food, traveling, and more. Overall, I am so grateful that CIEE has supported me in this journey!

I cannot think of any major improvements. Perhaps, allow the TEFL certification class to be more directly related to the country that the teacher will be teaching in. For example, I had to make a few projects for the class that were about Spain but I was mentally preparing myself for Chile.

Jennifer
Washington, D.C., United States
Georgetown University

Supportive Program

Since I studied abroad in Chile with CIEE, I trusted the CIEE Teach Abroad program. Right off the bat, their US staff was helpful. Once accepted, I participated in the pre-departure course and found the information useful. Regarding the placement, I had some reservations about Santiago in terms of safety, but I was ultimately placed there, although it was my third choice. To be fair, CIEE is very transparent in saying that they cannot guarantee anyone's placement.
While I still would have much preferred Vina or Valpo, I am grateful for my experience here in Santiago. My colleagues have taken an interest in me and always help me when I have questions.
In relation to the on-site support, I have nothing but praise for them. Upon my arrival, the coordinator was very accommodating with my food allergies and insisted on taking me to the hospital when I presented with a second degree burn. I couldn´t say thank you enough to her.
Since she has been promoted, we've had another coordinator, who is equally knowledgeable and personable.
Overall, I would recommend this program to a friend.

Provide more information about each campus from the get-go.

Jennifer
Boston

CIEE Teach in Chile

I chose CIEE for my work abroad experience mostly practical reasons as they were one of the only programs I could find for teaching programs in Chile and Argentina. Despite this I have been very happy with my experience with CIEE. They made everything very simple and provided an overabundance, in my opinion, of support and additional material. There was a pre-departure course I had to take before arriving to the country with useful information about phones, housing, the transporation system etc. along with more emotional support about culture shock and such. I personally found the culture shock information repetitive as I had already traveled outside the country, but I know others apprieciated it. Once arriving to the country the staff were all very nice and supportive and gave great advice about the city. They also gave my group a free month's stay in a hostel until we could find our own housing which was fantasic. What I most liked about this program is that I have a support system that will help me if I have a medical issue (they provided insurance) and I have a group of other English speakers who I can hang out with when I need a break from Spanish. That was really important to me.

Rebecca
Colorado Springs

Teaching in Chile with The Language Company

CIEE's application, pre-country orientation, and in-country orientation were very helpful when making the difficult adjustment to life in Santiago, Chile. They provided all the necessary information, like how to secure a temporary residence visa, what to look for in potential apartments, how to set up a bank account, Chilenismos, health and safety tips, and provided support and encouragement every step of the way. It is great having an in-country coordinator to talk to who is knowledgeable about Chile, and is available to meet and talk with whenever difficulties are encountered, like unforeseen health issues.

The biggest issue with this program is the housing aspect. They provide two paid weeks in a hostel in a great part of Santiago, and offer tons of advice and recommendations for reputable sites to find housing, but that uncertainty of where you'll live is a bit nerve-wracking at first.

CIEE offers paid teaching positions in Chile, China, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Morocco, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, and Vietnam, and volunteer programs in Spain, Portugal, and Senegal for university graduates looking to teach English abroad and immerse themselves in a foreign community.

Want to learn