Teach English in Chile with CIEE

Teach Abroad and experience Chile's unique landscape, language and culture. You'll find towering mountains, deserts, and beaches side by side, as well as indigenous cultures and Spanish influences, all jumbled together in Latin America's most prosperous country.

CIEE's Teach in Chile program offers classroom teaching jobs at community colleges in cities throughout the country. Intermediate Spanish skills are required.

CIEE's Teach in Chile Professional program connects teachers with private English instruction clients through a prominent language training company in Santiago. Participants travel throughout the capital and teach both young children and adult professionals. Spanish is not required, but you will need at least a year of formal or informal teaching experience.

Both programs require TEFL certification or equivalent, so CIEE's 150 hour TEFL and Teacher Preparation course is automatically included!

• Includes 150 hour online TEFL certificate program

• Benefits 9
  • Facilities 7.8
  • Instruction 9.2
  • Academic Rigor 7.8
  • Job Assistance 10
Ben

Teaching English in Concepcion

Overall a very good experience. I liked the support from Ciee when first arriving. The orientation was helpful, but I feel like it could have been a little more specific about certain Duoc expectations (maybe show us what the textbook looks like, and an example class).

I think a big take away from this experience was a type of independance. I graduated university last year, and this was the next step to really being on my own, from finding an apartment to live in or buying groceries for the week. It was a lot of responsibility but I think I learned a lot about myself in the process. I (hopefully) learned about some Chilean culture too, made a few friends and had lots of BBQ. I ended up getting a motorcycle too which was an absolute blast! It was a great year, and a good introduction to teaching, and made me really reflect on my personality and possible career paths. The other Tips in the program were very nice, but I didn't see much of them once I went down to Conce, just because they are so far away.

I studied abroad with Ciee and one thing I really liked was all the excursions and trips they did on the weekends. I think something like that would be fun
Jacqulyn

A truly supportive and helpful organization

Teaching abroad through CIEE was an exciting, rewarding, and moving experience. I felt supported through the entire process. CIEE prepares you for job interviews, job duties, cultural awareness, pre-departure information, and all the little things in between. I felt safe my entire time abroad and always had someone to ask for help when I needed it. Among all the amazing things CIEE provides, I think the orientation and in country support exceeded my expectations the most. I never felt alone and was introduced to Santiago, Chile so that I quickly felt comfortable abroad. The in country support staff is fantastic, accesible, and a priceless resource. I was living happily on my own after just one week and I couldn’t have had that kind of success without CIEE. I appreciated follow ups, check ins, and fast responses. Mid year gatherings were fun and helpful. I owe so much of the comfort I felt in Santiago to CIEE.

Cherie

Chile is an incredible country

The work at The Language Company has been exactly what I came for and the travel in Chile has astounded me. I came here as a seasoned language educator with the goal of having a stimulation and shift in my profession, to improve my Spanish, and travel through Chile. Within one year, I've had a great start and love it enough to hope to stay another two years! The value of the work itself and the organization and support of TLC has been very motivating; I really look forward to going to my classes every day. The work load is a good pace, but not overwhelming once you get a hang of everything. Most people don't work a full day on Fridays, which allows for weekend travels. Once I started travelling, I only realized how incredibly beautiful and pristine the nature is in this country. One year simply isn't enough to see it all. Also, if you're coming to learn Spanish, TLC does offer Spanish group classes, which really helps. Having come here with CIEE gave me the initial support I needed and a community to be a part of right off the bat. It's totally worth coming with CIEE than own your own mainly for the contacts, the peace of mind upon arrival and just having the visa status in order to hit the ground running with no legal problems.

Jay

Great Experience, Make your Own Way

I have had a great experience with the program. To get it out the way, the price of the program is expensive. That would be the thing that I would change about it.Other than that, I had a great time! The online courses were good as a foundation to the world of TEFL. The in-country Coordinator for our group, Camila, is awesome! Very helpful. She is extremely helpful and always available by email and whatsapp. My mentor and the English program at my site, San Andres, are great! They helped me acclimate to the environment well. If you want an experience abroad that allows you to be independent, puts some money in your pocket to travel with and gives you a balance of structure and freedom to move around, then I say go for it. This is my last month here and reflecting back on my time, I am glad I came! #noregrets

My only qualm about the program was the price of the program. But its a great oppurtunity for people teaching TEFL for the first time.
Lauren

CIEE Teach Abroad in Chile

Teach in Chile provides a wonderful opportunity for the experienced or first time traveler. They offer college graduates of all ages the chance to live and work in another culture, language, community, and hemisphere. What makes this program unique is their phenomenal orientation program starting right when you get off the plane. It gives you the tools to succeed from the beginning so that you can figure the rest out on your own. This program impacted my life by directing my career choice. It furthered my passion for international education and continued to strengthen my intercultural knowledge. Going abroad teaches you how to be flexible, curious, and open-minded, but teaching abroad with CIEE goes steps further by immersing you in the Chilean workplace and pushing you outside your comfort zone to truly live as a Chilean. You always have support if you need it, but they encourage you to truly integrate. I would highly recommend this program, especially to those looking to improve their Spanish. Don't miss Parque Bicentenario!

Frank

CIEE Chile

Some days I leave the DUOC, the institute that I work at, and I quench my hunger and thirst with a delicious "rico mote con huesillos" in the plaza. On other days I board the bus to go and explore a random city. Teaching in Chile with CIEE is well worth the investigation. Whatever you do, Chile and the CIEE offer satisfaction. The program provides English teachers with a valuable teaching and learning experience. It provides you with the chance to teach as a professor in a real upper-level learning environment. With this experience you really get to test yourself and explore your passion for teaching a language and learning about another culture.

This program can be improved by offering more information, provided by teachers and alumni of the program, to those who are interested in teaching in Chile. For example, each professor from each sight should be required to write about the sight they are working at and their likes and dislikes about it. For me it wasn't easy to decide which sight I wanted to teach at and feedback from passed teachers would have really helped me make a decision.
Hanna

Overall, fantastic!

CIEE has gone above and beyond my expectations since the beginning. The application process was easy and simple. They were always eager to answer my questions and provide me with information. I am so glad that I went through them instead of trying to do it on my own. The visa application process was intimidating at first but they helped me through the process in the States as well as when I arrived in Chile. Also, the online preparation course that I took while I was still in the States gave me a piece of mind because it explained what expectations I should have living and teaching in Chile. Once I arrived, our group of new teachers had a week of training in Santiago where we were educated about a variety of topics that we might encounter in Chile: housing, transportation, Chilenismos and the language barrier, food, traveling, and more. Overall, I am so grateful that CIEE has supported me in this journey!

I cannot think of any major improvements. Perhaps, allow the TEFL certification class to be more directly related to the country that the teacher will be teaching in. For example, I had to make a few projects for the class that were about Spain but I was mentally preparing myself for Chile.
Jennifer

Supportive Program

Since I studied abroad in Chile with CIEE, I trusted the CIEE Teach Abroad program. Right off the bat, their US staff was helpful. Once accepted, I participated in the pre-departure course and found the information useful. Regarding the placement, I had some reservations about Santiago in terms of safety, but I was ultimately placed there, although it was my third choice. To be fair, CIEE is very transparent in saying that they cannot guarantee anyone's placement.
While I still would have much preferred Vina or Valpo, I am grateful for my experience here in Santiago. My colleagues have taken an interest in me and always help me when I have questions.
In relation to the on-site support, I have nothing but praise for them. Upon my arrival, the coordinator was very accommodating with my food allergies and insisted on taking me to the hospital when I presented with a second degree burn. I couldn´t say thank you enough to her.
Since she has been promoted, we've had another coordinator, who is equally knowledgeable and personable.
Overall, I would recommend this program to a friend.

Provide more information about each campus from the get-go.
Jennifer

CIEE Teach in Chile

I chose CIEE for my work abroad experience mostly practical reasons as they were one of the only programs I could find for teaching programs in Chile and Argentina. Despite this I have been very happy with my experience with CIEE. They made everything very simple and provided an overabundance, in my opinion, of support and additional material. There was a pre-departure course I had to take before arriving to the country with useful information about phones, housing, the transporation system etc. along with more emotional support about culture shock and such. I personally found the culture shock information repetitive as I had already traveled outside the country, but I know others apprieciated it. Once arriving to the country the staff were all very nice and supportive and gave great advice about the city. They also gave my group a free month's stay in a hostel until we could find our own housing which was fantasic. What I most liked about this program is that I have a support system that will help me if I have a medical issue (they provided insurance) and I have a group of other English speakers who I can hang out with when I need a break from Spanish. That was really important to me.

Rebecca

Teaching in Chile with The Language Company

CIEE's application, pre-country orientation, and in-country orientation were very helpful when making the difficult adjustment to life in Santiago, Chile. They provided all the necessary information, like how to secure a temporary residence visa, what to look for in potential apartments, how to set up a bank account, Chilenismos, health and safety tips, and provided support and encouragement every step of the way. It is great having an in-country coordinator to talk to who is knowledgeable about Chile, and is available to meet and talk with whenever difficulties are encountered, like unforeseen health issues.

The biggest issue with this program is the housing aspect. They provide two paid weeks in a hostel in a great part of Santiago, and offer tons of advice and recommendations for reputable sites to find housing, but that uncertainty of where you'll live is a bit nerve-wracking at first.

About CIEE Teach Abroad

CIEE offers paid teaching positions in Chile, China, Czech Republic, Morocco, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, and Vietnam, and volunteer programs in Spain and Portugal, for university graduates looking to teach English abroad and immerse themselves in...