Teach English in Chile & Online TEFL Certification with CIEE

The farmers market in San Bernardo, Chile
The farmers market in San Bernardo, Chile
A shot from within the Valpo port
A shot from within the Valpo port
San Pedro de Atacama is in northern Chile and is the driest desert in the world!
I went to Salar de Unuyi, Bolivia during my winter vacation.
Chiloe, Chile
And don't forget Santiago is a few short hours from spectacular mountains for skiing!
Santiago has a neat blend of old and new architecture.

Teach Abroad and experience Chile's unique landscape, language and culture. You'll find towering mountains, deserts, and beaches side by side, as well as indigenous cultures and Spanish influences, all jumbled together in Latin America's most prosperous country.

CIEE's Teach in Chile program offers classroom teaching jobs at community colleges in cities throughout the country. Intermediate Spanish skills are required.

CIEE's Teach in Chile Professional program connects teachers with private English instruction clients through a prominent language training company in Santiago. Participants travel throughout the capital and teach both young children and adult professionals. Spanish is not required, but you will need at least a year of formal or informal teaching experience.

Both programs require TEFL certification or equivalent, so CIEE's 150 hour TEFL and Teacher Preparation course is automatically included!

• Includes 150 hour online TEFL certificate program

• Academic Rigor 7.5
  • Job Assistance 10
Jacqueline

Teaching in chile

My expereince in Santiago, Chile was amazing! I lived and taught English here for 10 months. Through all the great and challenging moments, it was so rewarding. I had so much support through CIEE while making this huge transition into living and teaching abroad. Even before arriving, CIEE provided information about the country and was so helpful with the visa process and any additional questions. While in country, I was always able to ask for help from my advisor and solve any problems. I learned so much about myself and what I am capable of! I also loved learning about the culture of Chile, as well as improving my Spanish language skills. I also got the chance to travel and explore this amazing country, which is something I´ve always dreamed about. The experience overall is unmatched! I hope you

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would pack differently. I would bring more winter clothes--pants, sweaters & shoes. Because it was colder overall than I expected. I had to either buy extra stuff or have visitors bring things from home for me.
Alice

Teach in Chile with CIEE

I am very satisfied with my experience teaching abroad through CIEE. The program helped with everything from the TEFL course, obtaining a visa, employment, airport pick up, housing for the first couple weeks, Chilean ID, health insurance - basically all of the bureaucracy and logistical stuff that does not come naturally to me and really stresses me out!

I have never taken an online course and I was hesitant about it at first but CIEE does a really good job of covering everything you might need to feel confident in your first English teaching experience. The tutor was very responsive and supportive, and the course provides you with access to many helpful and up to date resources.

They were even super understanding and helpful when I had issues with my TEFL course and obtaining my visa.

Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

Thanks Alice, I know there was a lot to balance before departure and I'm so glad you felt supported through it all! We sincerely hope you continue to have an amazing experience in Chile!

Ali

I love CIEE

I love CIEE! They were flexible with me throughout the entire process and incredibly helpful with pre-departure tasks and anxieties. I am conducting research on women's soccer here in Chile and they were great about catering the program to my needs. They communicated and responded within hours or days. I am an organized person and I am not sure if I could have maneuvered all of the logistics without CIEE. Originally I planned to move abroad without a program but maneuvering the job market in a foreign country and a foreign language, getting a visa, not having an emergency contact, getting health insurance, getting travel insurance, all ended up being too much and CIEE swooped in and saved the day!

With that said, I did not find TEFL very interesting. It felt very tedious with a lot of unnecessary busy work. I felt it was overpriced and the gist of the material could be covered in half the hours necessary.

I would improve the hosted during orientation week. I wish we would have been notified of the start of orientation earlier. I wish there were more scholarship opportunities. I wish there were more treacher training in the beginning orientation week. And Lastly I wish there was an option to test out of the TEFL course if we have teaching experience.
Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

Thank you Ali for giving your feedback and I am so happy we were able to accommodate your research, I'm sure you are learning a lot about soccer and teaching English!

It was our pleasure to work with you and help you set for an amazing experience abroad!

Matt

Great Program in a Great City

I must say I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in Chile and CIEE has been extremely helpful in all situations. CIEE gives you the assistance needed to help succeed in both your job and daily life. They provide you with a TEFL course if you don't have your certificate and are very supportive throughout the entire visa process (which can be a real pain). When you get down to Chile, there is a week of orientation that is very valuable. You learn about Chilean culture, see some of the city, and go over what it's like to teach at DUOC. However, CIEE is not there to hold your hand through every small step of your process. I appreciated that and know that if I ever did have a problem, CIEE was there to help. Santiago is a wonderful city with tons to do and see. While CIEE doesn't place you in a home/apartment, they do give you the tools you need to find one that fits your lifestyle. Like I previously mentioned, CIEE is never overbearing but do reach out from time to time to ensure all is well and that there aren't any issues. Finally, they provide insuranace which was cruical to me. All in all, I'd suggest this program to anyone interested in teaching abroad!

My advice would be to get to know Chileans as well as your fellow program members. Of course your program members are all interesting and kind but meeting Chileans gives you a true sense of what it's like to live in Santiago. They are truly friendly people and interested in foreigners.
Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

Thank you Matt for the great feedback, especially about your tips for meeting Chileans, as I know this can really make an experience abroad so much more fulfilling. I know you studied there so it's great that you are able to go back and experience it through a different lens!

Jacqueline

Teach in Chile!

This such a great experience! I am currently in Santiago, Chile, and it is a unique, fun, learning adventure! From the beginning of the experience, I have recieved so much support from CIEE. Before leaving, Katy helped answer any of my questions and was able to calm my impatience and help with my visa needs. While in Chile, my CIEE advisor, Camila, is an awesome resource. She was so helpful during the first week orientation, setting up times to get our visas, helping find housing, answering any questions through Whatsapp or email, and meeting with us individually to better understand our unique experiences here. While living abroad has many expected challenges, CIEE has done their part to make the transition as smooth and painless as possible!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
For me, the most nerve-racking was all the "firsts" right when I got here. At first, my flight was delayed a whole day and I had to arrive from the airport to orientation by myself. However, CIEE was helpful in telling me how to get there, where to go, etc. After that, the "getting settled" experiences such as finding housing, opening a bank account, navigating transportation, and getting our ID cards, were all fun challenges in a new country and different language. It was difficult sometimes to go out of my comfort zone in these situations, but it was so helpful to talk with my CIEE advisors and other participants to know that we can share knowledge and support to better our experiences!
Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

Thanks Jackie, it is great to hear everything is going well! Your comments about "firsts" are definitely something that most people remember as being nerve racking, especially when things don't go exactly according to plan. I'm glad you felt that CIEE was able to offer support to help you get through these uncertain times and I know you will continue to have amazing experience!

Kaylee

Amazing experience!

So much to say!
First of all, CIEE is amazing and worth the price to go with them. Camila and Katy helped tremendously with visas, residency, finding a place to live, and preparing for the trip.
Duoc is great. Some American teachers struggled with their lack of preparation for us, but once we got into the groove we all did great. I had never taught before in my life, but Duoc was there with any question I had. You definitely have to be proactive and ask questions. Duoc will gladly help you, but they will not be the first ones to give you everything you need. You have to ask!
Duoc pays about $900 a month, which is enough to live off of but you may want to get a tutoring job to travel or save money.
I work in Los Cerrillos and live in Bellavista, about an hour commute. It isn't too bad, especially since I go reverse commute. I do have to take a metro and a bus.
I love my coworkers and my students. My students are so sweet and work hard. Teaching came at an ease for me but I was so nervous since I had never taught before. Duoc gives you student books to go off and and they are super easy to follow. At times, they are a little dull but you can ask coworkers and other TIPs for more material or create your own. Most tips have about 5-7 classes, all about 90 min, but some have 3 hour. Duoc has Saturday classes, but no TIPs this year have any. I don't have Friday classes which is very nice, but not everyone has Friday off. I also don't have any night classes, and most TIPs don't work past 7. Chile is pretty pricey, but not too bad. Going out to eat is very expensive and adds up, so when you're in the hostel take advantage of the kitchen. It's pretty easy to travel around Chile. Flights are cheap and bus rides are even cheaper. Santiago itself is very but but so easy to get around since the metro and bus system goes to every corner of the city. I haven't yet felt unsafe, but it's easy to avoid dangerous areas. I have a phone plan and a bank account, which CIEE helps you set up. Any questions I have I can ask and overall it's been an amazing experience.

More preparations from Duoc's end. They are available when you need, but to start everything was unclear and felt disorganized. It's an adjustment to the low context culture, but now that I am in it all I feel way better.
Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

Kaylee, thank you so much for your positive comments. We love setting you all up for an amazing experience with the support and tools you need. It's so great to hear how positive your experience has been at your school and I know you will impact so many students during your time there!

Natalie

Life in Chile is Amazing

My time in Chile has been nothing but enjoyable. The transition from the US to Chile was very easy with the help of CIEE. They prepared us before and after arrival with cultural lessons and information sessions to help as acclimate to the new culture and lifestyle. CIEE was very helpful in the visa process and helping us with our ID cards and Chilean bank accounts. Our coordinator in Chile is always available for any questions we may have and checks in just to make sure we are doing well. It's definitely nice knowing we have a familiar face to turn to if we have any questions.

Chile is an amazing country. It's very easy to navigate and the people are very friendly and willing to help you if needed. I've even had the chance to make friends not only with Chileans but people from all over the world. Every weekend there is something new to do or see. If you like hiking, Chile has amazing hikes and are easily accessible through public transportation. There's often street fairs on the weekends that sell handmade goods. It also has a really fun night life, it's very common to go for a long late dinner with friends and hang out on restaurant patios. It has everything from nice restaurants, to bars and clubs. There's definitely something for everyone.

One of the things I enjoy most about teaching in Chile is the students. Everyday I look forward to seeing them and getting a chance to not only teach them but learn from them too. Being close in age as them has been an asset because you can relate to them easily and often have common interests which are fun to incorporate in class. My coworkers are very friendly and have been generous with sharing ideas for activities in the classroom. I truly love my job.

I can't recommend this program enough! You'll make amazing friends, grow professionally and have the most memorable experiences.

Jamie

Teaching English in Chile

Thus far, I cannot speak highly enough about my experience in Chile. With the help of Katy, Camila and the CIEE team, I feel confident in making Santiago my new home for the next 10 months. Katy and Camila alike were incredibly helpful throughout my very messy visa experience and supported me every step of the way until it was finally approved (the day prior to my departure). Overall, I feel as though CIEE set me up for success in my present career opportunity teaching English at DUOC. DUOC is a wonderful institution filled with a myriad of diverse students, welcoming staff members, and rigorous academic material. In the states, I am a teacher so I feel as though this experience will be very rewarding for me in having experience with teaching ENL students. Additionally, this experience provides you with innumerable contacts, resources, and colleagues that help you every step of the way. I am very grateful for the experience and ecstatic to see the opportunities that lie ahead.

Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

Thank you Jaime, it is so great to hear such positive remarks. We strive to set people up for success and we are always happy to hear that you felt that! I know you were a bit anxious to teach older students since your previous experience was with younger students, but I hope you have enjoyed the change! We wish you all the best with the rest of your time in Chile and teaching in the future.

Jonathan

Santiago is a great city

Santiago is a great city to live and work in. I was given a lot of help from Katy and the rest of Ciee settling in and showing me around during the first few weeks. I knew someone in Santiago so I had moved into my room soon after I moved in. The classes consisted of about twenty students and the vast majority of them were willing to learn and were excited about being taught by a native English teacher. You teach approximately twenty hours a week and make enough to live comfortably on, but I would suggest bringing a few thousand dollars to sustain yourself before your first paycheck. There are a lot of places to travel in Chile too. Vina del Mar is not far away. It is an easy hour and half bus ride and has a fun beach. There are also a lot of great street food if you're into empanadas.

Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

It's great to hear of your enjoying your time and eating lots of empanadas! It was such a pleasure having you as part of this program and to learn about your previous teaching experience. I hope you continue to explore and enjoy as much traveling as you can!

Ben

Teaching English in Concepcion

Overall a very good experience. I liked the support from Ciee when first arriving. The orientation was helpful, but I feel like it could have been a little more specific about certain Duoc expectations (maybe show us what the textbook looks like, and an example class).

I think a big take away from this experience was a type of independance. I graduated university last year, and this was the next step to really being on my own, from finding an apartment to live in or buying groceries for the week. It was a lot of responsibility but I think I learned a lot about myself in the process. I (hopefully) learned about some Chilean culture too, made a few friends and had lots of BBQ. I ended up getting a motorcycle too which was an absolute blast! It was a great year, and a good introduction to teaching, and made me really reflect on my personality and possible career paths. The other Tips in the program were very nice, but I didn't see much of them once I went down to Conce, just because they are so far away.

I studied abroad with Ciee and one thing I really liked was all the excursions and trips they did on the weekends. I think something like that would be fun
Jacqulyn

A truly supportive and helpful organization

Teaching abroad through CIEE was an exciting, rewarding, and moving experience. I felt supported through the entire process. CIEE prepares you for job interviews, job duties, cultural awareness, pre-departure information, and all the little things in between. I felt safe my entire time abroad and always had someone to ask for help when I needed it. Among all the amazing things CIEE provides, I think the orientation and in country support exceeded my expectations the most. I never felt alone and was introduced to Santiago, Chile so that I quickly felt comfortable abroad. The in country support staff is fantastic, accesible, and a priceless resource. I was living happily on my own after just one week and I couldn’t have had that kind of success without CIEE. I appreciated follow ups, check ins, and fast responses. Mid year gatherings were fun and helpful. I owe so much of the comfort I felt in Santiago to CIEE.

Cherie

Chile is an incredible country

The work at The Language Company has been exactly what I came for and the travel in Chile has astounded me. I came here as a seasoned language educator with the goal of having a stimulation and shift in my profession, to improve my Spanish, and travel through Chile. Within one year, I've had a great start and love it enough to hope to stay another two years! The value of the work itself and the organization and support of TLC has been very motivating; I really look forward to going to my classes every day. The work load is a good pace, but not overwhelming once you get a hang of everything. Most people don't work a full day on Fridays, which allows for weekend travels. Once I started travelling, I only realized how incredibly beautiful and pristine the nature is in this country. One year simply isn't enough to see it all. Also, if you're coming to learn Spanish, TLC does offer Spanish group classes, which really helps. Having come here with CIEE gave me the initial support I needed and a community to be a part of right off the bat. It's totally worth coming with CIEE than own your own mainly for the contacts, the peace of mind upon arrival and just having the visa status in order to hit the ground running with no legal problems.

Jay

Great Experience, Make your Own Way

I have had a great experience with the program. To get it out the way, the price of the program is expensive. That would be the thing that I would change about it.Other than that, I had a great time! The online courses were good as a foundation to the world of TEFL. The in-country Coordinator for our group, Camila, is awesome! Very helpful. She is extremely helpful and always available by email and whatsapp. My mentor and the English program at my site, San Andres, are great! They helped me acclimate to the environment well. If you want an experience abroad that allows you to be independent, puts some money in your pocket to travel with and gives you a balance of structure and freedom to move around, then I say go for it. This is my last month here and reflecting back on my time, I am glad I came! #noregrets

My only qualm about the program was the price of the program. But its a great oppurtunity for people teaching TEFL for the first time.
Lauren

CIEE Teach Abroad in Chile

Teach in Chile provides a wonderful opportunity for the experienced or first time traveler. They offer college graduates of all ages the chance to live and work in another culture, language, community, and hemisphere. What makes this program unique is their phenomenal orientation program starting right when you get off the plane. It gives you the tools to succeed from the beginning so that you can figure the rest out on your own. This program impacted my life by directing my career choice. It furthered my passion for international education and continued to strengthen my intercultural knowledge. Going abroad teaches you how to be flexible, curious, and open-minded, but teaching abroad with CIEE goes steps further by immersing you in the Chilean workplace and pushing you outside your comfort zone to truly live as a Chilean. You always have support if you need it, but they encourage you to truly integrate. I would highly recommend this program, especially to those looking to improve their Spanish. Don't miss Parque Bicentenario!

Frank

CIEE Chile

Some days I leave the DUOC, the institute that I work at, and I quench my hunger and thirst with a delicious "rico mote con huesillos" in the plaza. On other days I board the bus to go and explore a random city. Teaching in Chile with CIEE is well worth the investigation. Whatever you do, Chile and the CIEE offer satisfaction. The program provides English teachers with a valuable teaching and learning experience. It provides you with the chance to teach as a professor in a real upper-level learning environment. With this experience you really get to test yourself and explore your passion for teaching a language and learning about another culture.

This program can be improved by offering more information, provided by teachers and alumni of the program, to those who are interested in teaching in Chile. For example, each professor from each sight should be required to write about the sight they are working at and their likes and dislikes about it. For me it wasn't easy to decide which sight I wanted to teach at and feedback from passed teachers would have really helped me make a decision.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About CIEE Teach Abroad

CIEE offers paid teaching positions in Chile, China, Czech Republic, Morocco, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, and Vietnam, and volunteer programs in Spain and Portugal, for university graduates looking to teach English abroad and immerse themselves in...