Teach English Abroad in Thailand with CIEE

Teach English Abroad in Thailand with CIEE

Teach in Asia in 2018, and get paid!
Looking for a way to travel and teach abroad and still earn a competitive salary? CIEE can help you make it happen! Our Teach Abroad programs in China and South Korea start in February 2018. Teach in Thailand has one and two-semester opportunities with start dates in May 2018. See you there!

The CIEE Teach in Thailand program places individuals just like you in paid semester or year positions teaching English at primary, secondary, or universities in locations all across the beautiful country. Anywhere you teach in Thailand, you will have the opportunity to learn more about Thai culture, eat delicious Thai food, travel on your time off, and boost your resume with international work experience!

From deciding where you would like to teach abroad, to preparing to return to your home country after your time abroad, CIEE will be there to support you. In addition to finding a job for you in Thailand, you will be provided complete pre-departure support including an online course to help you prepare for your adventure in Thailand. You will be given visa guidance, and CIEE will even pay the fee to process your visa! Our 24/7 support and in-country orientation will ensure that you are supported throughout your entire program with CIEE Teach Abroad.

A CIEE TEFL Certification will give you the tools you need to succeed at being a teacher starting on your first day. Learn more about CIEE’s TEFL Certification Courses.

Asia » Thailand
1 Year+
Salary / Benefits
Participants earn at least 25,000 baht per month and receive free, furnished accommodation. Additional experience could earn a higher salary.

Participants starting their teaching placement in May and teaching for two consecutive semesters at the same school are eligible for a 20,000 baht bonus at the completion of the contract.
Chiang Mai, Rural Areas

Unfortunately due to the nature of this particular program you must sign up for either 6 months or a year. But there are plenty of other volunteer organizations that would be happy to have you come volunteer for two weeks!
Yes, you need a bachelors degree in any field.

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Stephanie

Teaching in Suphanburi, Thailand

Having no clue what to expect from living and teaching in Thailand, I have been so overwhelmingly happy with what the experience has been like so far! CIEE was great in helping place me at a school that I feel welcomed and at home in. I have been able to get to know some of my Thai community, have taken Thai boxing classes at the local college, celebrated Thai festivals with other foreigners in my town, motorbiked to the biggest Buddha in Thailand less than 50 km away, and have indulged in more delicious Thai foods than I knew existed. Teaching through CIEE, I was able to meet tons of other English teachers excited about traveling. I was able to explore the most beautiful beaches, temples, caves, waterfalls, mountain villages, animal sanctuaries (Thailand literally has everything) almost every weekend with people that share the same passion and desire for travel and cultural immersion. Teaching has been a fun and sometimes hectic learning curve -- I've learned to lesson plan, control a classroom of 50 wild Thai high schoolers, and get used to the different structure and pace of a Thai school, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've grown to love my students and have met some of the best people in my life while teaching and traveling in Thailand. I have 5 more months here, but already can't imagine leaving the Land of Smiles.

I got very lucky in my placement and have ended up loving teaching high school in a town pretty close to a busy city, but neither of those were what I had originally requested. I don't know how much say CIEE has in this, but maybe making more of an effort to meet requests, at least in region or in teaching level. It would assure applicants more if they knew they would get at least one thing they requested.

Me on top of a mountain in Thailand
Gabriela
Skidmore College

Two Thumbs Up

CIEE is a great program to teach abroad through! They provide a placement for you to teach, housing, pre-departure support, a training in Thailand to meet the other teachers and create a network of support/travel buddies and you get paid a salary to do it! The staff are very friendly and always available to answer your questions big or small. Their counterpart in Thailand is also a wonderful group of staff (OEG) who are willing to help you with anything and they have an incredible knowledge of Thailand, most are Thai or are ex-pats who have been living there for years. The one thing that was a bit shocking was how expensive CIEE was, but with everything that they provide you with, the cost is worth it. My experience with CIEE is one I still think about everyday, I have made great friends, excellent connections and feel like I have a deeper connection with Thailand than most tourists or even teachers do. They are the best company to go through if you have never taught abroad and/or you are looking for excellent support through every step of the process. If you have any doubt about moving abroad or changing your life, they are the ones to get you through it.

The one thing that is helpful to know before leaving is that everyones placement is different. Everyone is guaranteed housing, a job and payment for their work but each school does this differently. Some give you money in your stipend for rent, others pay for it separately (also most schools do not cover utilities). Some people's contract gives them a week of vacation, others don't. Some people have to sign up for bank accounts to get their money, others get a check. Each school is unique and once you arrive you will figure out how your school works!

Jessica
Chonburi Thailand
Washington State University

Teach in Thailand

My experience with CIEE has been great! They've been helpful since before I left on my trip abroad and continued to help me throughout my time here. They took the time to answer my very specific questions before I left for this adventure which made me feel more comfortable before leaving home. After arriving to Thailand they had a well organized orientation for the first week in Thailand, the orientation was very helpful and had a lot of good information which was the perfect way to start my experience. I've been nothing but happy with CIEE and would recommend them to anyone who is planning on teaching in Thailand.

*UPDATE 11/14/2017*
Before coming to Thailand I had zero travel experience. CIEE made me pre-departure easy and stress free so my experience was already off to a great start. They have been available to me for questions and concerns the entire time I've been in Thailand. I loved working with CIEE so much that I have now applied for another program through them. I trust them and the people working there :) I'm currently still here in Thailand but this experience has 100% changed my life, it's allowed me to travel and do something I love, working with kids, at the same time.

Getting more specific information from the schools for the school profiles that are given before leaving. For example, my school profile said I would have over a month off during semester break and it turns out we only get a week and a half. So just having updated clear information if possible.

*UPDATE 11/14/2017*
I think having updated school profiles so that all the information is correct (not sure if that is up to CIEE or OEG) but I had a lot of information given to me on there that wasn't correct so my school wanted to get it fixed.

Michele
Fordham University

CIEE Teach in Thailand is one of the best decisions I've ever made!

I studied abroad through CIEE in Seville, Spain in 2013 and had such a great experience. After studying in Sevilla, I knew I wanted to live abroad again and I am so glad I did!

The week long orientation was such a great way to make friends and it really eased any nerves I had about living and working in a foreign country.

I definitely recommend this program if you want total support and guidance on obtaining your visa, making friends, finding a school, and finding housing.

I honestly have zero complaints about my experience with CIEE thus far - all positives!!!

Curtis

HIGHLY Recommend CIEE's Teach in Thailand Program

I am very thankful for my Google search of "teach English abroad" and CIEE was the first program that came up. It is very highly recognized and their reputation make it one of the best programs to pursue your teaching abroad experience! The staff was more than helpful and was there every step of the way to guide you through the process. Kerry Plath was an excellent coordinator for the Teach in Thailand program and always went out of her way in order to assist you in ANY way! She even brought me a separate Lonely Planet - Thailand book with her in her suitcase to give to me when we all arrived in Bangkok because mine got lost in the mail prior to leaving home. CIEE provided many webinars and Q&A's for participants interested in the program so that there were no unanswered questions during the preparation stage. I am very appreciative of the fact that CIEE simplified the entire visa process, as well as found a school for you to work at. This makes the program fee well worth the price. And as a foreign language teacher, you will be making a higher salary than most Thai teachers so you will earn that amount back in no time! Although my experience in my current town in Thailand has been an amazing one, I would say my favorite part of this journey was the start of it. Every participant met in Bangkok for orientation to prepare for the once-in-a-lifetime experience ahead. I am very thankful for this week in Bangkok because that is also where I met my close friends who I now travel with on the weekends! CIEE does an amazing job at organizing this orientation and it truly helped shake out all the nervousness we had when we first arrived in Thailand. Overall, I am forever thankful I did that Google search that one day back at home. Now I know what program I will use if I ever want to teach abroad again!

I think that some information was disclosed and the participants should be given the information ahead of time (e.g. rent is taken out of our salary, we have to pay electricity/water/wifi).

Steven
Chumphon, Thailand
Black Hills State University

I love Thailand!

Hello everybody,

My name is Steve and I am teaching in Chumphon Thailand. It is a nice town located close to the sea. I work at a private school out in the jungle. I also live on campus which is nice as I am only about 25 yards from my classroom. The school staff and my co workers are awesome. I love it here! The food is delicious and I am starting to meet more English people. They are happy to see another westerner in this beautiful country and have been showing me around town. I love the Thai people but it is also nice to speak to English people as well.

Steve

Michael
University of San Diego

OEG and CIEE are Great

In short, I fully recommend both OEG and CIEE. CIEE staff were knowledgable and excellent answering my questions prior to departure; I even missed a few deadlines and they were able to help guide me through the process none-the-less. In particular, Kerry Plath is great.

The orientation itself is fantastic. I found the classes informative in regards to teaching and general practical tips about living in Thailand. It was also a lot of fun: there were some neat excursions, like the river cruise and sight-seeing at the temple, and the food and accommodations were top-notch. Most importantly, it's a great opportunity to meet other teachers, and there was plenty of time to go-out and socialize.

I'm having a great time at my placement without any issues, so I haven't been in a ton of contact with OEG since I started teaching. However, there have been some useful facebook groups and emails for organizing stuff and looking up fun events that I have found helpful: I feel as though OEG would be there to assist me if any issues were to arise.

My only complaints are with the Thai education system, not CIEE. If anything, CIEE could include more of a disclaimer about what the thai education system is like. That's not to say I'm unhappy, because, on the contrary, I'm having the time of my life, but there is no doubt that the public thai education system is quite unusual.

Kelly
Virginia Polytechnic Institute

CIEE is the best!

CIEE is an incredible program, and I highly recommend it to anyone considering teaching in Thailand (or anywhere else in the world for that matter). They were so supportive and helpful during the whole daunting process of moving abroad, with everything from applying for a visa, preparing and packing, and even a week-long orientation upon arrival. They provided loads of information and webinars about every step, and answered all questions and emails right away. I chose to teach for a semester, starting in October 2016, and almost immediately extended my stay to a year (and counting) once I arrived because I loved it so much. My only complaint was that CIEE was a little expensive, but I can honestly say it's been totally worth it. Partially because of how simple they made the complicated and confusing process of finding a job and applying for a visa, but mostly because of the in-country orientation. My first week in Thailand was spent in Bangkok with the other 170+ participants, where we spent our days learning about Thai culture and language, classroom expectations, work visa requirements, and even some intro-TEFL classes. The information provided helped prepare me for my first-ever teaching experience as well as eased the culture shock, and spending that time making friends with the other participants who were going through the same thing was amazing. Teaching in Thailand has its challenges, and my experience would have been totally different (and much more difficult) without the support I received from CIEE and the friends I met at orientation. I've also met teachers here who've come to Thailand through other programs - or even on their own - and CIEE is hands down the most organized and supportive way to go and I can't speak highly enough about the incredible experience I've had through them.

Jasper
Aranyaprathet, Thailand
Illinois College

Living Abroad: Thailand

This is my second time leaving the U.S.A., and it is the first time living in another country for an extended amount of time. For me, coming to Thailand was not something I had planned; honestly, it was quite the opposite. I stumbled upon the opportunity in mid February, applied by March 1, agreed to coming to Thailand in mid March, and left for Thailand during the first of May. I describe that period time as "excitedly nervous". The idea of living in a new culture with new opportunities, new places to see, new customs, new food, etc. all sounded so exciting! However, there was also the apprehension of what if I don't like it, what if I am not good at teaching English, what if I don't make friends, etc. Looking back on that time period, I can genuinely say making the decision to come to Thailand has been on of the best decisions I have ever made. Every day, I learn more about this new culture and what makes it so special. My school's location, while more remote, is filled with students and teachers that are happy that I am there and excited to interact with me, even if sometimes most of the conversation is through body movements. I live with a Thai family that makes it a priority of making me included in the community as well as showing me places that are authentic Thai. When I have questions or need help, I can count on my coordinator and OEG/CIEE to assist in any situation. I'd encourage anyone that is thinking about living abroad to check out this program and what it has to offer!

I think it would be good if to include information on the visa process once you get to Thailand. When I came, I thought I was set for the year. Then, at orientation, once you are here, you find out there is a lot left to do. Also, it might be good to rephrase the wording on the housing portion. I came here thinking my housing would be completely free. That's not quite the case. My housing is paid by a stipen that comes out of my paycheck each month. So, while I am supposed to make 28,000 Baht, I really make 25,000 Baht

Delorece
Phu Wiang, Khon Kean, Thailand
Hillsborough Community College Florida

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO BE A CELEBRITY ?

You will never feel more welcomed and loved than you are as an English teacher in the primary schools of Thailand. The children will literally run up to you and want to hug you. Even though you are not their teacher and have never met them. There are three buildings at Bannakanluang School. I teach in back building called MEP or Mini English Program. The children will call to me from out of the windows in the building in front of MEP. " Teachaaaa Teachaaaa we love you and then they will blow me kisses and give me the I love you sign with their hands." Students here from Kindigarden to 6th grade are all so excited just to say hello and wave to you. They especially love group hugs. The younger students will call to you "Teachaaa.........hello" , when you say hello back to them they giggle and laugh with each other. It is do cute.......teachaaa and hello are probably the only two English words they know.

The Thai teachers and staff are no less than delightful and will do what ever it takes to help you with your needs. One of the things I really like about the Thai culture is that the Thai people know how to dress up everyday for school. Saving the blue jeans and tee shirts for leisure.
The whole community eating thing here is a bit much for me to take since I am very germ conscious. I love having company to eat with but I am not willing to eat out of the same bowl that others have dipped their spoons into. But the Thai people eat after each other and they never think anything of it. Truly a real since of FAMILY is felt among all.
I have been here for just over a month and I can tell you two things FOR SURE! 1. I want to live the remaining years of my life here. 2. In the beginning it is PARADOX !! It is so FABULOUS and at the same time there are several adjustments to make. The feeling of being frustrated and not being able to speak Thai makes it difficult.
On that note, I recommend learning to speak Thai as soon as possible before arriving. Everything came so fast and it took all of my time to work, purge and prepare for my arrival here I didn't get the time to do that. NO WORRIES!! It will not take me long to learn as I have brought books and CD's. AND EVERY Thai person here is willing to teach you. It makes for a lot of laughter for both parties involved.

- A full day of recovery time between the flight here and orientation. Maybe just meet for dinner the next evening. I LOVE CIEE and OEG!!!
- A lot of schools are in rural areas. Some are so small that they do not have a gym. Maybe not one closer than 1-2 hours away. If being in the gym is a part of your lifestyle, make sure that you choose a larger city to be placed in. It has been my one big regret. But next year, I will seek a larger city.

Tina

Provides good support

CIEE was so helpful during my time teaching in Thailand! I made my decision to leave last minute and they were very accommodating in helping me get my visa in order. I think the most important thing the program gives you is a network of other teachers, which is super helpful when moving to a different country. I met a lot of my friends abroad at orientation with CIEE, which made moving to a different country a lot easier. The program was even helpful after I finished my contract with them in Thailand, helping me with additional paperwork that had nothing to do with them. Overall worth every penny.

Stephanie
Colorado
Western Governors University

Thailand Changed My Life

Where do I even begin?! I was unhappy with my current teaching position in the states, felt like I was getting older and hadn't experienced all that I deserved to, and had an interest in meeting new people from all walks of life. I made the sudden choice to submit my application, put down my deposit and begin a new chapter in my life. The fears, insecurities, and worries flew right out the window the second I met Elizabeth and Pa at our layover in Tokyo. I had never traveled outside of the country for more than one week, once. I was putting my faith in the CIEE organization, Thailand, and within myself. I immediately knew that Thailand would be a life changing experience for me once I started my first day of orientation. It's like freshman orientation all over again - find friends, make friends, be outgoing, explore the area, and figure out where you belong. The activities and lessons during orientation were extremely helpful. Once I got settled into my town, apartment and school, I knew I was going to fall in love even more. I taught during the week; gaining relationships with the students and staff, learning about the Thai culture and Thai school system, learning about myself and my teaching abilities in another country with a language barrier, and met other foreign teachers from all over the world that cultivated into life-long friendships. On the weekends, I'd meet up with my travel best friends, and we'd travel to a new location - exploring different towns, beaches, mountains, and cultures. We slept in tents, tiny rooms, air bnbs, hostels, and on buses. It was all worth it. Every long car ride, sketchy bus ride, or sleeping arrangement was worth it once you got to your final destination.

My favorite memory is every single person I met, and every single adventure I went on. I can't choose one. These 6 months in Thailand were the best 6 months of my entire life, without a doubt.

My only advice to you is to take very opportunity you can to experience the country you are in, speak to as many people as possible, learn about everyone and everything, and eat lots and lots of food! Live this life with your heart first, and experience all that is available to you.

Alexandra

An Incredible Adventure and Challenge

I taught in Thailand for a year and it was the best! When I first got there I thought I knew what to expect. And, despite being wrong, I found my small northern village to be filled with kindness, understanding (lots of communication hiccups at the local market at first), and support from the school and community. Everyone whipped out their best body language and English to help the new teacher. Even though the foreign teachers (and local population) consisted of me and another English teacher I had a blast being immersed in a completely different culture, tackling language barriers, and working with some of the most caring students (yes, even the difficult students were kind at heart). I think the best lessons and mindset you can have (which was stressed at the OEG orientation) was that your students come first (your not JUST here to go to islands for cheap...but don't get me wrong travel is super cheap here), appreciate and get to understand their culture (this isn't America, but it is something great in a different way), and stick through those first couple months. Even though I had traveled or studied abroad the first part was challenging, but as every month passed I would looked back and laugh at the culture shock I had experienced at different times. It is called the land of smiles for a reason.

FYI Future Teachers: Baby powder does wonders for keeping bugs out of your room. Also, pick up a local kitten and your lizard/insect problems will disappear over night! Plus, it is super cheap to take your pets to the vet in Thailand. The food (especially up north) is the best in the world. I hope you like spicy, and believe it or not Pad Thai is that most boring thing on the menu. Go to Phu Chi Fah in the winter months (ask OEG staff for specifics). Oh, and when your mom packs half your bag with soap, tooth brushes, and other US products there is no need. Even my rural village had a Tesco Lotus with a ton of familiar products, similar or cheaper prices, and a Dairy Queen/KFC. But consider bringing your own toothpaste if you like a particular kind...two-three big tubes should be fine. And, most important, WEAR YOUR HELMETS when traveling by motorbike. And tell your students to wear theirs, too. With the humidity and heat your hair is never going to look so good that you can fool your self into not wearing one.

Despite any challenges that arose the staff at CIEE (stateside) and OEG (thai-side) were prompt about getting answers and results. They were all very friendly and professional. I recommend this program to anyone that is not ready to do it on their own.

Have the schools update their profiles with available teaching materials and technology.

Molly
University of Oregon

The Best Decision in the World

Teaching in Thailand had to be the smartest decision I ever made. Before coming to Thailand, I had no idea what to expect. I have travelled in my past, but to move to a country on the other side of the world was a huge change for me. I have always lived in a city, and when I got my initial placement in a rural village, I was extremely nervous. However, being placed in a rural village ended up being the best part about my time in Thailand.

I remember when I looked up my town it didn't even show up on Google. I was a bit apprehensive thinking I would be out in the middle of nowhere but that wasn't the case at all. I was surrounded by such beautiful scenery and was an easy motorbike ride to the city. The amount of help and support I had from my host school was incredible. People bent over backwards to help me in any way that they could. I never met such a kind and loving culture especially when it came to the people in my village. When it came time for me to fly back to the states, my eyes filled with tears saying goodbye to my local friends, like the lady who sold me fruit, the family who fixed my motorbike, and the family who made me dinner once a week. Being in my little village ended up being my favorite part of living in Thailand.

Travel was always a big priority of mine and I was able to have an incredible balance between having a true authentic Thai experience during the week and being a tourist on the weekends. I think being in a rural town really opens your eyes to a "true" Thai experience whether it was helping plant rice in the fields, riding your motorbike at sunset and stumbling across a hill tribe village, or even just singing karaoke with your neighbors while you try exotic foods. I never once felt alone because I was always surrounded by such a strong support system. My co-workers treated me like a family member and you were really able to immerse yourself with the locals in town. I personally think that being placed in a rural community in Thailand was such a blessing.

I moved to Thailand alone hoping for an adventure of a lifetime and it sure paid off. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself. Because Thailand was such a positive experience for me, I am planning to continue to teach abroad for a few more years. I hope the next place I teach will provide me with an amazing experience like my time in rural Thailand.

Honestly, I think the only thing that could help this program is to provide more assistance when it comes to teaching. I did not have an experience in teaching and I think that maybe lesson plan ideas, an idea of things to teach for different levels, etc. would have been a lot of help. The program itself though was tremendous though.

Tricia
Colorado State University

Excellent Staff and an Eye-Opening Experience

This program has wonderful job placement and the Chiang Mai office in particular has stellar staff. The orientation was helpful and it was a great way to meet all the other teachers that are placed around the country for support and travel companions. I was placed in a smaller city and while at first I was hesitant, in the end it turned into the best experience possible. My placement was excellent. I did feel that the cost was a bit high for the services offered.

More Thai language lessons at orientation. More support for the in-country participants when there were discrepancies between the school and the teacher.

Evan
Ohio
Brown University

A Fantastic Growing Experience

After initially deciding to teach for a single semester in Thailand, I extended my contract and ended up staying at my school for 2 years due to the positive work environment, relationships, and satisfaction that came from teaching.

I stayed in touch with many fellow teachers in my program and everyone that I talked to had a very positive experience with CIEE and their schools. Even though I've been back in America for a few years now, I still feel like Thailand is a 'second home' of sorts and I plan to travel there and visit for the red to of my life!

The one week orientation was a great introduction to my fellow teachers and the basics of teaching, but I would have benefited from a slightly longer orientation/training period.

Ilan
Phetchabun, Thailand
University of Maryland

Jump In, Don't Look Back

While most of my friends spent their last couple of months at school stressing over jobs, interviews and salaries, I kept myself busy deciding on my choice of placement in Thailand. I decided to teach in Thailand during my last year of university, and I haven’t looked back since.

Before I began searching for teaching opportunities, I reached out to a couple of friends who had previously taught in the Land of Smiles. Although none of them had chosen CIEE as their provider, almost all recommended the “Teach English Abroad in Thailand with CIEE” program for its reputation, value and placements. CIEE's sign-up process was simple, easy to navigate and full of details. From applying for a Thai Non-B Immigrant Visa to accepting my school placement, CIEE ensured that the stressful part of applying was anything but stressful.

I'm currently teaching in Phetchabun, a town just 4-5 hours north of Bangkok. What Phetchabun lacks in skyscrapers and "concrete jungles," it makes up for in beautiful landscapes, adventurous hikes and authentic Thai experiences. My placement with CIEE is exactly what I wanted and as I continue to teach for a second semester, I couldn't be happier.

The school day in Thailand starts off with assembly at 8 a.m. sharp. There, students sing the National Anthem, listen to announcements and recite prayers. During one particular morning, I noticed students pulling out money from their pockets. After a couple of minutes of confusion -- and many minutes of asking around -- I learned that the students were collecting money for an out-of-district student whose home had burned down. While students in the States will gladly raise money for their own sports teams, it's hard to imagine American students raising money for someone who doesn't attend their own school.

If you're looking to teach in Thailand, but are unsure about the process, I highly recommend looking into CIEE's vast network of current and former participants. CIEE's application platform is easy to understand and simple to use.

Paul
Pua, Nan Province Thailand
Stony Brook University

Thailand

Teaching in Thailand was my first experience living anywhere that was more than 50 miles from where I grew up in Long Island, New York. To put it shortly this has been one of the best experiences of my life. All the apprehensions, and fears I had before I left debunked one right after another almost instantly upon my arrival. The orientation provided by CIEE was a big part in that. Spending a week in Chang Mai with other teachers, former teachers and the support system was extremely helpful for someone like myself who has never done anything like this before. You start to get a feel for the people and culture while still having the support to answer questions and provide information. I also believe that the community of teachers who are all arriving in the same position of having no idea of what to expect is extremely helpful.
After leaving orientation the same fears and apprehensions arise again, and one more time they quickly subside. I arrived in a smaller town outside of a small city, and immediately I felt safe and welcome. The people although largely surprised by seeing an American were always smiling wanting to communicate and make me feel at home. I have met people, seen things, and had experiences that will stay with me forever. More importantly I feel that I have become a part of a community and that is something special that I do not believe happens often.
Six months or even a year may seem like a long time but as I am writing this I am weeks away from completing my time here and it feels like I arrived yesterday. I also now understand why people don't leave. CIEE provided incredible support and helped walk me through this process step by step. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking to travel and teach.

Derek
Hampton University

WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS SOONER?!

Applying to CIEE’s Teach in Thailand program was quite possibly the best decision I ever made. Before coming to Thailand, I’d never been overseas, so I was very nervous and didn’t know what to expect. The program coordinator, Kerry, was amazingly helpful, and she walked me through the entire process. Every time I called Kerry, she answered and talked to me for as long as it took to resolve whatever issue/meltdown I was having. When I ran into trouble with my visa, she made sure my school understood that I’d be coming and didn’t give my position away. The situation was a lot less stressful than it could have/should have been.

The real benefit of teaching in Thailand through CIEE is the support and how your host school deals with you. Schools that work with CIEE have to provide their teachers with accommodations and a contract completion bonus. They stressed making sure I became independent and comfortable travelling around town on my own. I didn’t travel to Thailand alone, and my preference was to be placed in the same location with my travel partner. CIEE actually placed me in the same exact school. It doesn’t get much better than that.

This wasn’t part of the contract, but my school taught me how to ride a motorbike and drive a manual transmission truck. The school also helped me buy my own motorbike and went out of their way to ensure that I had reliable transportation around town. This experience has reshaped my values, wants, and needs. I’ve met a ton of interesting people, and I’ve made some great friends along the way. I wouldn’t trade my time in Thailand for anything. If you’re looking to teach in the land of smiles, and you want to go through a program, you won’t do much better than the Teach in Thailand program from CIEE.

Bryna
University of Texas- Austin

Best decision ever!

I first heard about the CIEE Teach Abroad program after I studied abroad with CIEE in 2014. After I graduated from college, I committed to teach in Thailand for one semester. I was nervous about moving halfway across the world, managing a large classroom and adjusting to the culture. Any fear I had about teaching and traveling abroad quickly disappeared given the constant support CIEE provides. I am happy to say I have made great friends in my community. I value my teaching experience and know I am learning as much from my students as they learn from me. When I am not at school, I explore provinces across Thailand, work on my Thai conversational skills and engage with other teachers along the way. I enjoy blogging about my experience as an official CIEE blogger and have found it to be a very therapeutic outlet. I am so happy with my experience that I have decided to stay and teach for a second semester! This experience is invaluable and the best decision I have ever made!

I think that a lot of information wasn't given until we got to Thailand. I would have liked to have some of that front-loaded beforehand. I also think CIEE can do a better job about communicating with schools on-site because even the information I was given beforehand was sometimes inaccurate.

Eliza
Albany, New York
University of San Diego

An Unforgettable Experience

I will try to put into words how amazing it feels to be in Thailand, teaching English. I welcome Khlong Lan Wittaya's students with a smile and cup of coffee in hand every morning. In return, I see smiles and hear "goodmorning teacher!" The community has embraced me in a way that I never imagined. I feel like I have several families here who constantly invite me to dinners and on adventures. They ask me if I am homesick and I can honestly say "no" because I feel right at home, thanks to them. My life is so simple and I do everything I've always wanted to do in one day. I have time for what really matters and what I truly love to do. Thanks to CIEE, I feel fully supported and confident in their services. They helped me reach my current state of complete bliss, by holding my hand through the application and assimilation process. CIEE gave me the confidence to travel across the globe and pursue a dream I've always had.

It would be nice if schooling assignments were received earlier, because everything was so last minute for me. I rushed to receive my visa and I almost did not get my passport back in time from the embassy in Washington DC. It was very stressful. So maybe just receive everything ealier so that everything does not have to be last minute.

Amy
Phoenix, Arizona
Dartmouth College

CIEE Teach Abroad... It was the best time of my life!

Teaching abroad with CIEE Teach Abroad was the best thing I ever did. After I received my master's degree, I wanted to travel, but I wanted to travel with meaning. CIEE Teach Abroad helped me do just that! I loved that they took care of all the tricky stuff -- housing, my visa, school placement, they offered an in-country orientation upon arrival, and pre-departure assistance and an online course to prepare us. It was all so easy, and the staff was awesome. They are so easy to work with and they have all taught abroad so they know how you're feeling before you go.

I taught in Bangkok Thailand, and it was the most rewarding job I have ever had. The kids were so much fun to work with, and I learned so much from them. I met people I will be friends with for the rest of my life, and my weekends were filled with fun adventures all over South East Asia. While I was teaching, I was able to visit 8 different countries, so I was able to fulfill my travel bug and work with kids all in one go! It was so much fun, and so rewarding. I highly recommend CIEE Teach Abroad to anyone! They also offer an awesome TEFL Certification course, and it helped my teaching skills tremendously. I had previously taught at the university level, but this TEFL course taught me so many things I hadn't considered in regards to teaching.

I am so thankful for CIEE. They truly changed my life.

Molly
Charleston
University of West Georgia

CIEE Teach in Thailand

After, deciding to teach abroad, I did some research on companies to go through. I came across CIEE and had really great feelings about their programs offered and their overall dedication to their participants. The step by step process made it so easy to work with CIEE and complete the process of teaching abroad. I have had help from the minute I started an application and I am continuing to hear from CIEE three months into my teaching experience in Thailand. If you are looking to teach abroad, CIEE has been a phenomenal group to go through and I highly recommend them!

Christopher

Great teach abroad experience in Thailand through CIEE

I made the decision to teach abroad just a few months before getting on the plane, so overall it was a pretty fast process. I found CIEE online and completed an application in a couple weeks. They were very helpful during the pre-departure time. One of my recommenders wasn’t able to submit their letter of recommendation on time, so I had to replace them at the last second. CIEE was understanding, and let a new recommender submit instead. They also had a guide on how to prepare all the necessary documents for obtaining a visa, and getting the visa documents together did require a lot of legwork. The biggest headache for me was getting my state background check, so if I had to do it again I would just get a background check through the FBI. Also, I had trouble figuring out what vaccines were covered by my insurance, but that was a problem with the insurance company.

So after getting my visa and school placement, I was on the plane to a week-long CIEE program orientation in Bangkok. This was a very, very useful and fun time. The orientation was about meeting other teachers from the program, learning about Thailand, and, importantly, learning how to be a teacher. Especially since I did not have any background in teaching or prior experience as a classroom teacher. I think an orientation like this is really critical for people who have never worked or lived abroad before. There is so much anxiety about living in a different part of the world, with people you don’t know anything about, and also having to perform as a professional teacher. It would have been very difficult for me to adjust to a new life and also be a good teacher, at least at the start, without this orientation.

So now I have been successfully living and working in Thailand as an English teacher for a few months. CIEE has emailed me a few times to check in and see how I’m doing, and I’ve been in contact with them with questions about my current program as well as questions about future teach abroad opportunities.

Overall, I’m very happy with CIEE and their staff. Everyone has been very helpful, understanding, and professional. I would like to teach in another country after Thailand through CIEE, and I feel very confident about it. It’s great to have CIEE’s support, from the help with the paperwork that’s required, to in-country orientation, and continuing support for the length of the program.

Tara
Ridgefield, CT
University of Denver

Teaching in Thailand, Do It!

I graduated college a term early and much like many of my peers, I had no idea what the next best step was for me. I had read a lot about traveling through Southeast Asia and all of my closest friends gave rave reviews of their experiences, especially in Thailand. I knew I had a travel bug, but also knew that if I was going to delay the start of my career, I wanted to make it meaningful. My opportunity to teach in Thailand went above and beyond my expectations.

When I finally submitted my application (after lots of encouragement from my friends), I did not have any sort of relief. In fact, when I found out I was accepted through the program, and later on given my placement, I still wasn't sure if this was the right move for me. I was placed in a non-tourist destination in northeastern Thailand, and was the only one from the program placed in my city. I was scared and nervous, and still unsure if i should accept one of my pending job offers or commit to this unexpected path. I communicated with CIEE about my anxieties and insecurities about teaching somewhere and emailed every previous teacher through the CIEE community. CIEE gave me borrowed time to ensure I was happy with my decision, and after a lot of deliberation and trust in fate, I committed! And thank G I did!

Teaching in Thailand was the best experience I have ever given myself. From the lifelong friendships I've made with fellow CIEE-ers to the Thai family that was able to develop into members of my forever family and all of the people I met along the way, I am so lucky for all of my amazing memories. While structure is not necessarily a well-known concept in Thailand, CIEE and their partner, OEG, make every effort to help in the transition from a western world into the simplicity, chaos, and beauty of Thailand.

Amanda
Columbus
Miami University

Experience of a Lifetime. Don't Hestitate.

I did plenty of research before I decided to teach in Thailand through CIEE. I'm so glad I did! I wanted a credible and legitimate program to make for a seamless transition into a foreign country. Pre-departure emails were helpful making sure I had everything accounted for, visas situated (via CIEE) and insurance is even taken care of with them.

Once there, the week long orientation prior to going to your schools was a great learning experience. There were several Thai-language seminars and workshops to get you with some working proficiency, plus lots of extra teaching prep. They definitely get you as prepared as possible. Plus, during orientation, you meet all of the other program participants from all over, and you befriend who will be your closest friends and travel buddies for the next 5 or 10 months (or for life).

All in all, I can't imagine not teaching in Thailand, and not going through CIEE. It's truly a great program with great people helping you through it. I urge you, don't hesitate! Take the plunge. It'll all be worth it.

N/A

Hannah
Portland, Maine
Skidmore College

CIEE gave me the support I needed!

I went to Thailand alone, but with CIEE helping me every step of the way, I felt like I could travel to a new country with confidence. This is NOT a program that drops you off in a foreign country and you never hear from again! Their constant support helped me to easily navigate the application process, prepare me for packing and living in Thailand, and made the nightmare that can be getting a visa, stress free with their step by step instructions and assistance. Once in Thailand, I spent a week at their orientation in Bangkok making friends that I then travelled with throughout the year and talked to about teaching. When I left orientation for my new life in Thailand, my housing was already ready for me and a Thai teacher welcomed me on arrival to guide me.

With the help of CIEE I began my time in Thailand on a positive note, transition smoothly into my new life. I quickly grew to love my farming village, my silly, eager students and created a community of friends and peers. I kept in constant contact with other teachers I had met at orientation, going on weekend adventures and trading lesson plans with them! On my good days and my bad days, it was always a comfort to know that in such a foreign place, CIEE was there for me if I needed help.

It would be exciting if there were more placements in the south of Thailand.

Hilary
Denver, Colorado
Ashford University

CIEE- A Helping Hand

I chose to teach in Thailand with CIEE for countless reasons. This was my first time abroad and I was beyond excited for the journey ahead, despite not having a clue as to how and where to begin- I needed help! I was about to embark on something that I knew would change me forever. It’s the best and scariest feeling in the world. I wanted to feel confident that I was getting everything (i.e. paperwork, visa, work permit) logistical completed, and not only completed, but completed correctly and efficiently. I also wanted a personal relationship/contact to ensure I had actual people there for me while being in a foreign country. CIEE has exceeded my expectations. This journey has been nothing short of amazing, life changing, and challenging, and when I hear from my coordinator randomly on a Monday morning before teaching, I know I went with the right program. The people of CIEE make it such a fantastic organization just as the people of Thailand make it such a beautiful place to live and work

Jenna
New Orleans, Louisiana

Teaching in Thailand

I'm sure anyone who's gone to Thailand will tell you they had an amazing time, so I'll just second that. My experience in Thailand was great. CIEE did a great job in preparing me before going abroad, and their on-site partner OEG was constantly in contact with us, and always there to help. Even while we were working in country we'd still receive information from CIEE, just checking in to see how we were doing or wishing us a happy-Thai-holiday.

I learned that teaching is not my life calling, but I didn't regret my choice of teaching in Thailand one minute. The students I worked with were extremely smart and funny. One class would always ask me, "Teacha Jenna, can we watch Mean Girls"? - I mean, how do you say no to that?!

My school was a little stricter than others, so we didn't have many days off, but I still feel like I explored the country to the fullest. I found time to travel to northern Thailand, the islands in the south, and took many short weekend trips to cities 2-6 hours from where I worked.

I'm glad I went with CIEE and not on my own, because it was great having their support during the preparations. When we arrived in country we had a week long orientation which is where I met all my friends and travel buddies for the time I was abroad. It also created a sense of community and support that I wouldn't have had if I would have gone on my own.

If you are considering teaching in Thailand through CIEE I would encourage you to do so. It was a great experience that I haven't regretted for one second, and I know an experience like that won't come around again.

If you'd like to hear more about my experience, you can read my blog from my time in Thailand here: https://jennaleighschumann.wordpress.com/

The only improvement I can think of is for CIEE to go through their pre-departure information thoroughly because some of it was repeated and it contradicted itself in some places which was a little confusing. Nothing I couldn't work through though :)

autumnbrooks
Yangon, Myanmar

Solid Program for First-Time Teachers in Thailand

I had a great experience with CIEE Teach in Thailand. From my initial questions pre-departure, to ongoing support throughout my time abroad, to the connections I've made with their staff in Thailand and fellow teachers, I was thoroughly impressed.

I was assigned to teach kindergarten at a private school near Bangkok. I had great housing, a great local community, and decent pay. I did find that most other teachers who found jobs on their own were making higher salaries; it is easier to negotiate and "shop around" when you don't find a job through an organization like CIEE.

However, since this was my first experience in Thailand, I was happy to trade a slightly-lower salary for the comfort of knowing I was working for a reputable school, one that treats its teachers well, pays on time, and holds to the contract, and that CIEE had my back if I had any difficulties (which I didn't).

The program provided a week-long orientation before I started teaching in Bangkok; this was a helpful way to adjust to the country and provided some good information. The greatest benefit, though, was in meeting a network of like-minded English teachers to travel with throughout my year in Thailand.

If you have experience teaching in Asia and know how to avoid the pitfalls of newbie teachers, you may want to find a job in Thailand on your own. If you want the security of going through a program, I can't recommend this one highly enough.

CIEE offers paid teaching positions in Chile, China, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Morocco, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, and Vietnam, and volunteer programs in Spain, Portugal, and Senegal for university graduates looking to teach English abroad and immerse themselves in a foreign community.

Want to learn