Teach English in Thailand with CIEE

The CIEE Teach in Thailand program places individuals just like you in paid semester or year positions teaching English at primary, secondary, or universities in locations all across the beautiful country. Anywhere you teach in Thailand, you will have the opportunity to learn more about Thai culture, eat delicious Thai food, travel on your time off, and boost your resume with international work experience!

From deciding where you would like to teach abroad, to preparing to return to your home country after your time abroad, CIEE will be there to support you. In addition to finding a job for you in Thailand, you will be provided complete pre-departure support including an online course to help you prepare for your adventure in Thailand. You will be given visa guidance, and CIEE will even pay the fee to process your visa! Our 24/7 support and in-country orientation will ensure that you are supported throughout your entire program with CIEE Teach Abroad.

A CIEE TEFL Certification will give you the tools you need to succeed at being a teacher starting on your first day. Learn more about CIEE’s TEFL Certification Courses.

Unfortunately due to the nature of this particular program you must sign up for either 6 months or a year. But there are plenty of other volunteer organizations that would be happy to have you come volunteer for two weeks!
Yes, you need a bachelors degree in any field.

• Benefits 9.2
  • Facilities 8.9
Kalie

A teacher’s journey abroad

As a teacher with 5 years experience teaching elementary school in the US, I was equal parts excited and anxious as I made the decision to further my career and gain more experience teaching abroad in Thailand. CIEE/OEG was helpful with the transition process, especially when there was a miscommunication regarding our living accommodations when we first arrived at our placement. The four months I spent at my school teaching Thai students are ones I will never forget. The students are so excited you are there to help them learn and grow. I know I learned as much from them as they did from me. One most memorable time was when we celebrated the Christmas holiday and all classes each had their own party with delicious food, music, and gift exchange. They invited me right in and wanted me to be part of it all! I will never forgot the students’ and teachers’ hospitality from such an amazing part of the world.

Natalie

Thai'd Up in Teaching

My five months teaching English in Thailand was unforgettable! I was placed in the quaint Northern Thailand Isaan city of Khon Kaen. My kilometer walk from my eight story condo to Anuban Khon Kaen School I looked forward to every morning. My "chicken on a stick" lady greeted me with a smile and an enthusiastic, "Saw-tee-kah TEACHER!" Many friendly waves and an occasional ride from families at school made this walk fun and a way to forget about the heat.
Teaching in a Thailand School was an amazing experience. Students were eager to greet me every morning and their work was always done with effort and neatness, almost like an art piece. There were many celebrations at school during my five months teaching. Waikru Day there was dancing, singing and flower giving to the teacher. The Queen's birthday was full of many magical and colorful Thai traditions. I also went on a total of four field trips that included many hours on (and off) the bus.
I formed many relationships during my time in Thailand. I became close with three other English teachers whom I traveled with on weekends to Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Nong Khai, and Koh Samet. We had similar backgrounds and dreams and experienced the Thai culture together. I am still in contact with them today. I also formed new relationships with Thai families and some of my students.
If you are thinking about going to teach in Thailand....DO IT! There will be times of frustration and sheer joy. Be open-minded, a learner and experience independence. It all makes you a better person. This experience will impact the rest of your life.

More language background in Orientation?
Pawnee

Wang Chan, Rayong, Thailand

Packing up and leaving my air-conditioned home, with heated water, a queen bed with multiple fluffy pillows, the easily accessible grocery store around the corner, 24/7 food delivery service, and my loving family and friends to living in Rayong, Thailand where I have a shared bathroom, a shower with freezing cold water, one 7 eleven, and a variety of spiders, insects, and geckos to keep me company was a difficult transition that also included teaching english to high schoolers for the first time. There were times I felt it was too much, particularly when I first arrived in Bangkok and was informed that my luggage was being held at the airport due to complications resulting in the airport holding all of my belongings for two weeks or when all of the money in my wallet was stollen while I was running on the school track. It's funny though because if I could rewind and undue all of the difficult things that happened to me I wouldn't change a thing, none of it, because I have come so far and I have learned so much from all of my mistakes. This experience has made me less afraid. Less afraid to ask questions, to try, to fail and to learn. The relationships I've built here have been so genuine and humbling. My tutoring sessions with my students quickly became hang out sessions where we would not only learn but go out to dinner, water parks, or make sandwiches and watch a movie. I became not only a teacher but a friend. I even attended a thai wedding for one of my co-workers and wore a traditional thai dress. As my year abroad is coming to an end I can't help but plan for my next trip hopefully teaching english at another school in another part of the world where I can use the skills I have gained here in Thailand and continue to better myself and make a difference in someone else's life.

I would have appreciated more information on what to bring. My expectations were quite low so I ended up over packing when in reality I would have been able to buy most everything I needed either in Bangkok or in my Province. If I had known how minimal supplies would be at my school I would have bought a book of children's novels and games. Those would have come in handy when tutoring.
Benjamin

Awesome experience

I have loved teaching in Thailand so far! I have been here for a semester, and the experience has been great. CIEE was very helpful with orientation and I have been fully supported. I definitely would recommend! I think the best part about CIEE is that they have put us in good locations with people. I applied with my friend from home, and they placed us together. They have been very amenable with all my requests, and if anything bad were to ever happen, I feel confident that I would be supported

I was initially in some very mediocre housing, but have since moved. CIEE guarantees our housing through the program fee. They need to make sure the housing is adequate for the participants before they move there.
Marla

Thailand experience!

This was hands down the best experience of my life! I met people that became my life long friends! I got to emerge myself in the thai culture and it was amazing! I not only learned so much about their culture I also learned a lot about myself. This experience is something that I will remember forever! I would highly recommend teaching abroad. Seeing the how happy the students are to see you and get to know you is pretty amazing.

Some of the pictures that were shared before I left looked nothing like where I was staying. Maybe update some pictures
Danielle

CIEE Thailand

It was an opportunity that I’m grateful to have had, that I’ll never forget. I made lifelong friends and loved learning about the Thai culture. CIEE is a great company that has your back the entire duration of your trip :) I felt immediately welcomed in safe in my apartment and at the school I was teaching. Although there were a few bumps, they were always quickly resolved and overall it was a great experience!

Lower Program Fee
Bailey

Teach abroad

No one can truely prepare you for the cultural differences you will endure by living in a third world country after growing up in America, I think ciee did a good job at trying their best. In hindsight I would still have done it through them because they provided comfort and someone to ask questions to when I first moved here. I also think I got really lucky with my school. I love the students and my coordinators are really helpful.

There were improvements that could have helped with my specific school, but because every school is so different I can’t think of anything that would help an entire group of teachers who are places all over.
Shawnda

Best program to launch your career and life abroad!

Teaching in Thailand with CIEE was the perfect program to help me pivot from corporate America to a life and career abroad. With no prior teaching experience, CIEE provided me with a surplus of information and tools to successfully leap into being an international educator. From the moment I was accepted into the program, CIEE was incredibly responsive with any questions or concerns (no matter how big or small). They kept me well-informed on each step before my departure and were equally as supportive my first few weeks in Thailand. I had multiple opportunities to join calls, webinars, and forums to speak with participant alumni and hear their experiences firsthand. This allowed me to get a glimpse of what my day-to-day might look like and reassured me that I made the right decision. Additionally, CIEE staff members have deep international experience, and I valued working with people who were knowledgeable and passionate about travel and life abroad.

Natalie

"Teachaaaa!"

My five months teaching abroad in Thailand has changed my life! Living in Thailand for five months immersed in the Thai culture was very impactful. My placement was perfect for me. I felt so happy and welcomed in my Northeastern town and Anuban school. The best part of my experience were the Thailand relationships I formed as well as the English teachers I met at CIEE orientation and at my school. I have continued these relationships upon my return home.
My apartment was in an ideal location-I was able to walk to my school daily as well as find my meals and shop for necessities. I encourage everyone to become part of your local community-get out and meet people, take classes and immerse yourself in Thailand! I was able to travel every weekend either by bus or plane. I swam with elephants in Chiang Mai, bathed in the luxurious waters in the tropical island of Koh Samet, rode bicycles in Ayutthaya, and had many relaxing Thai massages! The possibilities are endless! Travel in Thailand is so easy and cheap. I felt safe my entire time abroad.
Because of my experience with CIEE and OEG I have made lifelong connections and have gotten to know Thailand and share my experiences with my school community here in America. I definitely plan on teaching abroad again. If you are thinking about teaching abroad with CIEE...just DO IT. It will change your life too!

Caroline

Caroline's Teach Abroad Experience

I would want future participants to know that this is one of the scariest, hardest things you'll ever do--and you have to do it. You'll regret it forever if you don't, but even worse--you'll be missing out on the chance to become a different version of yourself. I am different because of Thailand: I am more well-aware of my privilege, I am less worried about trivial things, I am more aware of the importance of being friendly towards foreigners here in America, I am more appreciative of things, I am more confident and able to take on new challenges alone. Most importantly, I am proud to be who I am, and I have a newfound level of respect for myself; you won't find this confidence, this self-worth, if you don't test it. Also, I want MORE out of my life than I did before; meeting travellers, learning about their life experiences and their various ways of arriving at their careers, made me less likely to settle in my own life. For instance, I learned about a writer who has been freelance writing for 10-years while he travels the world, and that is my new goal: I've learned through this experience that the 9-to-5 desk job is not the only option.

Perhaps we could be set up with an alumni who could offer personalized advice; also, it would've been nice to have a longer time at orientation to meet new people, or even various mid-way through orientations to meet new people, because meeting Americans was the hardest part! (Maybe in December CIEE plans a trip for people in their various provinces? Halfway through?)
Jen

Kawp Kun Ka CIEE Teach in Thailand Program!

After a very positive experience teaching English in China with CIEE from 2015 to 2016, I decided to use CIEE again to help me secure a teaching position in Thailand from 2016 to 2017. I am so glad that I used CIEE to help me find my last teaching job in Thailand! My school, supervisor, and students were wonderful, and I loved having the opportunity to learn about Thai culture and to travel in Thailand and Southeast Asia. Before leaving for Thailand, CIEE was there to help every step of the way. The current Teach in Thailand Program Coordinator, Kerry Plath, is always prompt, thorough, and honest when responding to emails and answering questions. CIEE helped me a lot with the work visa process for Thailand, and their pre-departure courses about living in Thailand and Thai culture helped me feel prepared before leaving the United States. CIEE's partner organization in Thailand, OEG, is also extremely helpful when you're in the country. OEG and CIEE give all teachers on the program a week-long orientation in Thailand, which is a great opportunity for participants to network and meet other teachers who will be placed in the same school/province/town as well as in other parts of Thailand. The orientation also provides seminars on the Thai language, Thai culture and history, and teaching English in the Thai classroom to help prepare teachers for starting their teaching jobs in Thailand. Anytime I ever had a question or concern in Thailand, all I had to do was email CIEE or OEG, and I always knew that they would respond helpfully and promptly. I had an amazing time teaching English in Thailand, and I really think that CIEE and their partner OEG played a huge part in making my teach in Thailand experience smooth and successful. I would definitely recommend CIEE's Teach in Thailand program to anyone who is interested in teaching English in Thailand. Especially if this is your first time teaching abroad, you can be sure that CIEE will help you to complete all of the documentation needed to legally work in Thailand and place you in a reputable school that will guarantee you accommodation and a steady salary each month. You can also be sure that if you have any issues with your school or contract, CIEE will mediate and advocate on your behalf. Thank you so much again CIEE for all of your support! Once again, you made my teaching abroad experience stress-free, fun, and fulfilling. :)

Stephanie

Teaching in Suphanburi, Thailand

Having no clue what to expect from living and teaching in Thailand, I have been so overwhelmingly happy with what the experience has been like so far! CIEE was great in helping place me at a school that I feel welcomed and at home in. I have been able to get to know some of my Thai community, have taken Thai boxing classes at the local college, celebrated Thai festivals with other foreigners in my town, motorbiked to the biggest Buddha in Thailand less than 50 km away, and have indulged in more delicious Thai foods than I knew existed. Teaching through CIEE, I was able to meet tons of other English teachers excited about traveling. I was able to explore the most beautiful beaches, temples, caves, waterfalls, mountain villages, animal sanctuaries (Thailand literally has everything) almost every weekend with people that share the same passion and desire for travel and cultural immersion. Teaching has been a fun and sometimes hectic learning curve -- I've learned to lesson plan, control a classroom of 50 wild Thai high schoolers, and get used to the different structure and pace of a Thai school, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've grown to love my students and have met some of the best people in my life while teaching and traveling in Thailand. I have 5 more months here, but already can't imagine leaving the Land of Smiles.

I got very lucky in my placement and have ended up loving teaching high school in a town pretty close to a busy city, but neither of those were what I had originally requested. I don't know how much say CIEE has in this, but maybe making more of an effort to meet requests, at least in region or in teaching level. It would assure applicants more if they knew they would get at least one thing they requested.
Me on top of a mountain in Thailand
Gabriela

Two Thumbs Up

CIEE is a great program to teach abroad through! They provide a placement for you to teach, housing, pre-departure support, a training in Thailand to meet the other teachers and create a network of support/travel buddies and you get paid a salary to do it! The staff are very friendly and always available to answer your questions big or small. Their counterpart in Thailand is also a wonderful group of staff (OEG) who are willing to help you with anything and they have an incredible knowledge of Thailand, most are Thai or are ex-pats who have been living there for years. The one thing that was a bit shocking was how expensive CIEE was, but with everything that they provide you with, the cost is worth it. My experience with CIEE is one I still think about everyday, I have made great friends, excellent connections and feel like I have a deeper connection with Thailand than most tourists or even teachers do. They are the best company to go through if you have never taught abroad and/or you are looking for excellent support through every step of the process. If you have any doubt about moving abroad or changing your life, they are the ones to get you through it.

The one thing that is helpful to know before leaving is that everyones placement is different. Everyone is guaranteed housing, a job and payment for their work but each school does this differently. Some give you money in your stipend for rent, others pay for it separately (also most schools do not cover utilities). Some people's contract gives them a week of vacation, others don't. Some people have to sign up for bank accounts to get their money, others get a check. Each school is unique and once you arrive you will figure out how your school works!
Jessica

Teach in Thailand

My experience with CIEE has been great! They've been helpful since before I left on my trip abroad and continued to help me throughout my time here. They took the time to answer my very specific questions before I left for this adventure which made me feel more comfortable before leaving home. After arriving to Thailand they had a well organized orientation for the first week in Thailand, the orientation was very helpful and had a lot of good information which was the perfect way to start my experience. I've been nothing but happy with CIEE and would recommend them to anyone who is planning on teaching in Thailand.

*UPDATE 11/14/2017*
Before coming to Thailand I had zero travel experience. CIEE made me pre-departure easy and stress free so my experience was already off to a great start. They have been available to me for questions and concerns the entire time I've been in Thailand. I loved working with CIEE so much that I have now applied for another program through them. I trust them and the people working there :) I'm currently still here in Thailand but this experience has 100% changed my life, it's allowed me to travel and do something I love, working with kids, at the same time.

Getting more specific information from the schools for the school profiles that are given before leaving. For example, my school profile said I would have over a month off during semester break and it turns out we only get a week and a half. So just having updated clear information if possible.

*UPDATE 11/14/2017*
I think having updated school profiles so that all the information is correct (not sure if that is up to CIEE or OEG) but I had a lot of information given to me on there that wasn't correct so my school wanted to get it fixed.
Michele

CIEE Teach in Thailand is one of the best decisions I've ever made!

I studied abroad through CIEE in Seville, Spain in 2013 and had such a great experience. After studying in Sevilla, I knew I wanted to live abroad again and I am so glad I did!

The week long orientation was such a great way to make friends and it really eased any nerves I had about living and working in a foreign country.

I definitely recommend this program if you want total support and guidance on obtaining your visa, making friends, finding a school, and finding housing.

I honestly have zero complaints about my experience with CIEE thus far - all positives!!!

About CIEE Teach Abroad

CIEE offers paid teaching positions in Chile, China, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Morocco, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, and Vietnam, and volunteer programs in Spain and Portugal, for university graduates looking to teach English abroad and...