Teach English in Thailand with CIEE

Sunrise with some of the best people I've ever met
Sunrise with some of the best people I've ever met
At one of the many elephant sanctuaries
At one of the many elephant sanctuaries

The CIEE Teach in Thailand program places individuals just like you in paid semester or year positions teaching English at primary, secondary, or universities in locations all across the beautiful country. Anywhere you teach in Thailand, you will have the opportunity to learn more about Thai culture, eat delicious Thai food, travel on your time off, and boost your resume with international work experience!

From deciding where you would like to teach abroad, to preparing to return to your home country after your time abroad, CIEE will be there to support you. In addition to finding a job for you in Thailand, you will be provided complete pre-departure support including an online course to help you prepare for your adventure in Thailand. You will be given visa guidance and our 24/7 support and in-country orientation will ensure that you are supported throughout your entire program with CIEE Teach Abroad.

A CIEE TEFL Certification will give you the tools you need to succeed at being a teacher starting on your first day. Learn more about CIEE’s TEFL Certification Courses.
  • Job placement prior to departure
  • Pre-departure support– including visa assistance and a comprehensive online pre-departure course
  • iNext international insurance with 24-hour emergency assistance services
  • Multi-day orientation – including excursions, meals, and accommodation
  • Provided accommodation

Unfortunately due to the nature of this particular program you must sign up for either 6 months or a year. But there are plenty of other volunteer organizations that would be happy to have you come volunteer for two weeks!
Yes, you need a bachelors degree in any field.

• Benefits 8.9
  • Facilities 8.3
Matthew

Teach in Thailand

Teaching in Thailand was an awesome experience. It was scary at first immersing myself in a new culture but that was my main goal. You have to get a little uncomfortable to grow and that’s exactly what I did. I was placed in a rural area 3.5 hrs north of Bangkok and I couldn’t be happier. Being located where I was gave me the opportunity to get a real Thai experience. Unlike many other foreign teachers, I wasn’t traveling every weekend. I did occasionally travel on school holiday and what not but traveling every weekend seemed exhausting to me. Instead I go to know the locals, made friends with my co-teachers and even hung out with my students on the weekend.
The food is amazing in Thailand and so are the people. Most of the people I met were extremely friendly!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve racking moment for me was my first day of class. I put a lot of pressure on myself and I was pretty scared! Once I got in front of the class my emotions eased and things became a lot easier.
Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

Hi Matthew,

We are glad to hear that teaching in Thailand was a wonderful experience for you! It's great you were able to immerse yourself in your Thai community and make Thai friends. Thank you for leaving a review!

Jeanine

Teaching in Thailand

I am currently participating in the CIEE Teach in Thailand Program. Coming to Thailand to teach is one of the best decisions I've made! It's an incredible opportunity to get out of your comfort zone, experience an entirely different culture, learn about yourself and the world, and make a positive impact. And you get to do it in such a beautiful country with the friendliest local people!

CIEE makes the process of teaching here so much easier than trying to do it on your own as they provide step by step guides and lists of everything you will need. They're also always willing to help, you just have to send them a quick email. There is an orientation when you arrive in Thailand to help you prepare for your journey as well as an opportunity to makes friends with others who will be teaching throughout the country. I cannot recommend this program enough!

I am very happy with this program and my placement.
Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

Jeanine,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your experience in Thailand. We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your time teaching and that you feel supported by CIEE!

Crystina

My First Three Months in Thailand

I arrived in Thailand in May 2019 and was determined to overcome any differences and have a positive attitude. Looking back at that first month, I see that was the necessary attitude to have. Yes, things will be challenging at times. Overall, your perspective will open and your good energy will invite all sorts of fun to come your way. I have so many friends now from all over the world. I adore my co-workers from the US and Canada. We're a like-minded group and we have lots of fun together. I adore my Thai and Chinese co-workers too. Most of all, the students warm my heart. They are so gracious and kind. They treat me with respect and listen to my lessons. They're very smart too. I'm teaching what translates to junior high school in the US. Furthermore, I'm teaching science in an English Program at a public school in Central Thailand. We're close enough to go to Bangkok as a day trip and even closer to the marvelous old city of Ayutthaya. I value my time here because I know that I'll be sad to leave after my year is over, but look forward to a new adventure in Spain with CIEE. I am happy to have chosen CIEE because they set up everything for me. I was placed in a nice apartment that's next-door to my school. I had my visa and all documents handled. I had immediate support and training once I arrived in Thailand. CIEE even took us on fun excursions and threw us a great karaoke party. All of their staff members were helpful and polite. I recommend both CIEE and the deeply-historic nation of Thailand.

I really like the CIEE program and the support offered was worth the cost. At first, I thought I could find employment on my own. I tried that, ended up making four round-trip drives to LA to the Chinese Consulate (driving 500 miles each time), waiting in line for hours, and ultimately not getting my paperwork approved. I had my university diploma, my TEFL certificate and no criminal record. Still, I could not get approved to work in China. Then I found CIEE, and I'm so glad I did. I am very, very happy in Thailand.
Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

Thank you, Crystina!

It's wonderful to hear that you feel supported on the program and that you have been making memories with your new students, co-workers, and friends. We hope you continue to have a great time on the program!

Thank you!

Danielle

Dan Chang, Suphanburi

I could not be happier with this program, my placement, and all the support I have from my school and CIEE. Throughout the application and preparation process, CIEE has been extremely helpful from answering questions to reminding me about deadlines and also keeping me up to date with different events/holidays in Thailand. The school I was placed at is Banhanjamsaywittaya 3 School in Dan Chang, Suphanburi. It is a small town but with delicious food and friendly people. I appreciate the close community and laid back environment. My contract is beginning to wrap up and I am so grateful for this experience. I am beyond happy I chose this program through CIEE because of all the support they have provided. Not once have I felt uncomfortable or hesitant during my time here.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I tried soup noodles mixed with pig’s blood! This was towards the beginning of my journey. I was not familiar with the names of food or how to order. I pointed at another student’s bowl as an attempt to order lunch. As soon as I saw the lady scoop red liquid into the broth, I remembered reading an article about a Thai soup noodle dish mixed with blood. I couldn’t taste the blood but the thought was enough for me to lose my appetite although, I would try it again.
Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

It's great to hear you have enjoyed your placement and the support you received on CIEE's program. We love hearing about your adventures in trying pig's blood soup and stepping out of your comfort zone.

Thanks again,

Gage

1 Month Complete

The staff and support received from CIEE has been nothing short of outstanding. My preferences were noted and fulfilled upon completion of my application. This experience for me was about learning the genuine ways of the Thai culture and exploring the country's hidden gems. Those seeking a true immersion of the culture will be more than satisfied if they chose to partner with CIEE. The CIEE organization has a vast network of professionals in Thailand that allow teachers to experience personal and professional growth in a variety of Thai communities.

An example of the outstanding professional service offered by CIEE was during the week long orientation seminar. The CIEE staff provided different activities that made an easier transition into the Thai culture, including opportunities to learn and practice common Thia language phrases, explaining the Thai hierarchy structure, and bringing in Thia natives to show traditional customs (dancing, cooking, muay thai, etc.)

Additionally, CIEE brought in former English teachers to help enhance teaching abilities and explain how a Thai classroom/school operates. My group was fortunate to be mentored by Mike, a veteran English teacher of Thailand for 10 years. Mike explained different situations that had occurred in the classroom during his time teaching. He also gave many recommendations/advice on topics from structuring lesson plans to classroom management. This was very helpful advice for a first time teacher, such as myself.

I give my full recommendation to the CIEE organization and appreciate their help and professionalism.

Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

Gage,
It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the orientation activities as well as overall CIEE support. We are excited to have you as a teacher in Thailand. Thank you for your review!
-The CIEE Teach Abroad Team

Hendrikus

Exprience of a Lifetime

Not an experience to be classed as 'run-of-the-mill', ordinary or 'same old same old' kind of experience!
Coming to teach in a foreign country with just about everything different and 'new', and sometimes a bit confusing compared to what one has been used to for many years of your life is certainly a challenge, and a boot kicking one out of your comfort zone!!
But boring, mundane, senseless or dull it has NOT been for one minute.
So, why did I take on a challenge like this? To give my soul the opportunity to grow and expand, to kind of test my own 'resilience' and 'survival strength,' to LEARN - about new, different, interesting, stimulating, alarming, amazing!! To learn to be more flexible, open-minded and compassionate. To taste new tastes, see new sights, hear new sounds!
To be able to get this opportunity whilst having the backing and support of a team of really well-meaning, experienced people like those at CIEE and OEG is simply something you should do at least once in your life if it is at all possible for you! Obviously, you need to have an enquiring mind, eager-to-learn-and -experience strange and new - attitude, and a fairly adventurous spirit!
If you do, and this sounds like something you've always wanted to do, then don't hesitate! Apply now!! Contact CIEE and OEG and get the ball rolling. It's a lots of fun, and well worth the 'risk' and effort!!

Not much! CIEE and OEG have got it pretty well down!!
Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

Hendrikus,

Thank you for taking the time to review our program! Your enthusiasm and energy undoubtedly make you a strong teacher. We look forward to hearing how life-changing this experience is for you.

-The CIEE Teach Abroad Team

Trystan

Every experience is different!

I thought CIEE has done a great job with this program. Kerry Has been especially helpful in making things happen and answering all of my questions.

I will say, everybody has a very different experience and a lot of that has to do with your placement. I am in a very small town with not much to do and an hour away from the closest city. That said, I don't think I would trade anyone for my spot. I save so much money living where I do. I love my school and the other teachers there have been so helpful and welcoming. As for traveling, I take full advantage of my long weekends for going around Thailand (I just got back from an awesome long weekend in Chiang Mai), and spend the shorter weekends traveling places a little closer to home.

Also, while my main reason for coming here is to travel. You do have a job. It's not terribly, but the school does rely on you, so you do have to show up, lesson plan, and get those kids speaking English. I only have 20 active teaching hours, but I do use the other 20 I'm at school for lesson planning (and often when I need a break from that - planning for future trips). I do think that sometimes people come here on these programs and forget that they are here to do a job - and this job does take priority.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I'd pack way less stuff and I would read up more about Thailand's history before coming over.
Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

Trystan,

We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your placement and the reason for teaching in Thailand-your students! Everyone's experience is different, and it sounds like you are appreciating your unique experience. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

-The CIEE Teach Abroad Team

Carly

Teach English in Thailand with CIEE

By no means is getting up to live and work in another country an easy thing to do, but thanks to CIEE, moving to Thailand has been the best experience of my life thus far! CIEE provides all of the necessary information and guidance to make the process as simple and painless as possible! From the multi-day orientation to the 24/7 assistance whilst abroad, there is no question that CIEE was the best program choice for me!

In my opinion, it should be noted that the CIEE/OEG staff truly does an exceptional job of making sure all participants feel confident and comfortable with their move abroad. Whether it be a question about applying for a visa or pre-departure queries, a staff member is always willing to assist, support, and offer a helping hand.

My advice to future travelers on this program is to just enjoy it! Teachers are important and respected members of society. Have fun, take it one day at a time, expect the unexpected, be open-minded, and always remember to laugh! All of the preparation in the world cannot prepare you for what’s ahead! Enjoy!!!
Response from CIEE Teach Abroad

Carly,

Thank you for sharing your experience and taking the time to leave CIEE a review! We appreciate all you are doing for your students and community. Great advice for future travelers to embrace the "Mai Pen Rai" attitude.

-The CIEE Teach Abroad Team

Pamela

A Double-Edge Sword

I've been teaching in Thailand for about 4 months now. CIEE and OEG are helpful at orientating and preparing you before moving to a foreign country. They give you as much information as possible and provide you with as much detail as possible. However, they are a bit pricey. You can definitely do this on your own with some research. I don't regret it though.
My placement, however, is another story. I wish I would've been placed with another English teacher or another school entirely. I must admit that I love my students and they are the only reason I've stayed, even though they get a bit rowdy (they are in high school after all). I can tell they love coming to my class and enjoy my teaching style.
I've also enjoyed traveling to the different parts of Thailand, learning about the culture and picking up a bit of Thai.
This was a huge learning experience.

This program could be improved by providing teachers with more information about their placement. Also, by providing information with what to do with you are unhappy with your placement. Not every teacher gets equal treatment in terms of placement. I wish I was given access to statements/reviews from the previous teachers in this school.
I was placed in a house by myself, in a high school with no resources, the Thai teachers barely talk to me (they know we get paid more so they resent foreign teachers), and there is nothing do in town. In addition, traveling by van is difficult if you don't know Thai. I see and hear about other CIEE/OEG teachers having the time of their life with their roommates/fellow teachers, having access to resources and enjoying their province, but unfortunately that wasn't my luck. I thought about quitting many times during some lonely nights. However, it has been a growing experience and has made me a stronger person with thicker skin. I'm extremely thankful for the Filipino teachers and the two other foreign teachers for not making me feel completely alone here.
Sam

I am so glad I did this program!

Moving across the world to pursue a profession I have never done before was definitely scary, but CIEE made it easy and doable by organizing almost every detail other than your prep and flight to Thailand. CIEE provides ample support throughout your entire experience. The orientation program they provide when you first arrive is thorough and gives you a great opportunity to connect with other program members. CIEE (or OEG) is always there for whatever you need. The coordinators all make themselves very available via FB, etc. to answer any questions and concerns you might have. The only concern I will mention is that much of your experience is largely dependent on your placement. While CIEE provided teacher training materials and an idea of what your experience might look like, I feel that this training/information was geared toward residents of cities or suburbs. I was placed randomly in a very rural area of Thailand. My students' English proficiency (high schoolers) is mostly nonexistent, so it was very difficult for me to adjust to teaching at first given that much of our training revolved around English learners with at least very basic literacy. My living condition is inferior to other teachers I know throughout Thailand but far superior to many locals in my rural and low-income area. I would not trade this experience for the world despite the challenges. It has given me incredible perspective and gratitude. As long as you are okay with accepting that CIEE cannot account for every single experience and that many of your questions might be answered with "it depends" until you actually see for yourself, this experience is a MUST. You will grow in so many ways!

I would have loved to read a review or personal feedback/advice from teachers who had been at my specific school before I arrived. I found that there were many things about my experience that are completely unique to other teacher friends (as I'm sure everyone does) and it would have helped me to prepare much better for this experience had I been able to communicate with or hear from former teachers at my school.
Megan

It's worth it!

My time in Thailand has been amazing and should be on everyone's 'Must Do' list. The country itself is full of beautiful places and amazing people. It has been such a rewarding experience to have the opportunity to live here.
I am thankful for CIEE in helping with the process. CIEE does a great job of providing information before leaving your home country, providing visa assistance, and requiring the school to help with visa extension in a timely manner. While the pre-departure information was helpful, I think the most important thing for me was visa assistance. I am very grateful to CIEE for their help in this process and that alone would make me use them again in the future. I also appreciate that any time I have a question I feel that I can contact the coordinator and she will help me the best she can very quickly. She is very approachable, helpful, and resourceful. These things were very important to me in living abroad for the first time and have made my time in CIEE much smoother. On top of this, going through a program like CIEE, that recruits many teachers and includes an in-country orientation, guarantees that you will meet many other teachers. These teachers will become great resources and people to connect with about teaching and missing home, but may even become some of your best friends. I owe it to CIEE (and the in country program OEG) for all of the valuable relationships I have made on this journey.
If you are looking to live abroad and change the lives of young people while doing it, but aren't sure how. I can promise that CIEE will make the move as seamless as possible.
I also took my TEFL course through CIEE instead of another company and felt that CIEE did a good job with this course. Now that I have it, I am set for life and will always be able to use in future teach abroad endeavors. I believe that if you are interested in teaching as a career, or at least plan to teach abroad more than just one time, the TEFL training is definitely worthwhile.

Christian

Teaching in Thailand

My experience has been incredible so far in Thailand. CIEE and OEG were beyond helpful in the entire process of settling us into our schools and helping us adapt to living in a new country.I felt like the orientation time was very adequate, any shorter I would have not felt prepared, and any longer I would have been ready to leave Bangkok. It was also fantastic meeting other foreign teachers throughout the orientation. I made many friends that I have been able to travel with during my time in Thailand. That was a huge advantage of teaching abroad through a program like this. The CIEE and OEG staff was all super helpful and friendly, and were always there to help and walk you through the process of living in a new country. I would highly recommend going through this company, but it is a little pricey. Cheers!

Erika

Apply and change your life!

I’ve had a great experience with CIEE! It’s changed my life for the better and they’ve made the process of moving so far away from home much easier than it would’ve been had I done it by myself. Having their support and guidance has been everything especially with housing/taking care of any larger issues. I enjoy my placement and they’ve answered any questions I had when they arose. They took my placement preferences as a priority which was very refreshing as well.

They also make sure that they invite back previous or current teachers to talk about their experiences which is very helpful and very honest. It’s nice to hear from them because they’ve recently gone through or completed the process.

CIEE answers questions in a speedy fashion and they are knowledgeable about all the laws in Thailand which sometimes come up as later questions or concerns.

I think this program could be improved by talking more about some of the downsides of living in Thailand, while there isn’t a lot I think it’s an important discussion. They could do so by talking about what would happen if you really were unhappy with your placement, some people get placed with certain things that other people don’t have and I’m not sure they were as prepared for it as they could’ve been.
Ande

Apply to this program!

Moving abroad can be challenging, but CIEE and OEG were exceedingly helpful with this transition. They organized school placement, housing, and ensured all steps were correctly completed to receive a work visa. Of course these logistics can be completed independently, but it was reassuring to have the support of OEG staff that are knowledgeable about the school system in Thailand as well as the culture. CIEE and OEG have always been available to answer my questions from when I first started my application to the extension of my contract this month. The staff support as well as the numerous resources provided on teaching, traveling, moving to Thailand, and Thai culture was tremendously helpful! The orientation was also a great opportunity to meet so many new friends on the same journey!

The experience in Thailand truly does depend on your placement, and this program could be improved by providing applicants with the most accurate information about their placements. I haven't experienced this myself, but know of teachers whose living and/or teaching arrangements are not what their contract noted. I think the grade, topic, amount of curriculum provided by the school, and living arrangements are main deciding factors in accepting the contract. This program could be improved by making this information as accurate as possible considering the price of the program fee.
Taryn

Great program! Great experience!

I'm coming up on the end of my 6 months of teaching in Thailand and it has been such an incredible experience! I had been working a 9-5 job out of college and was craving a new adventure. I had always been interested in teaching abroad and CIEE provided all the help needed to make it happen. Upon being accepted, CIEE gave an abundance of useful information about the visa application process, teaching requirements, life in Thailand, and so much more - all of which would've been very confusing and difficult to prepare for had I not gone through an agency like CIEE. Teaching in Thailand provides you the opportunity to not only get out and explore the world but to also help make a difference in the local community. Teaching can be hectic but the children make it totally worth it! I highly recommend CIEE and teaching abroad!

Location:
Don Mueang Airport
( DNK )
Phuket Airport
( HKT )

Thailand has become the most tourist visited country in Southeast Asia. This country provides dense jungles, beautiful beaches, world-class shopping, and stunning architecture. No matter your budget, there is something for you to take part in in Thailand.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About CIEE Teach Abroad

CIEE offers paid teaching positions in Chile, China, Czech Republic, Morocco, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, and Vietnam, and volunteer programs in Spain and Portugal, for university graduates looking to teach English abroad and immerse themselves in...