CIEE Online TEFL Certification Courses + Job Placement Services

CIEE Online TEFL Certification Courses + Job Placement Services

Enter to win a free 150-hour TEFL certification and $500 Airbnb gift card!
What can you do with a 150-hour TEFL certification and $500 Airbnb gift card? You tell us! Enter to win!

Do you want to professionalize your international adventure? Get TEFL certified with CIEE, the leader in International education and exchange since 1947, helping people gain understanding, acquire knowledge, and develop skills for living in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world.

CIEE currently offers 3 different online TEFL courses:
  • 150 Hour Course: (11 weeks) Online Professional Certificate including 20-hours practicum teaching -- for $1,000
  • 60 Hour Course: Self-Paced Intro to TEFL certificate -- for $300
  • 30 Hour Course: (3 weeks) Age Specific TEFL Certificate -- for $270
What makes CIEE TEFL unique?
  • Accredited by the World TEFL Accrediting Commission, and peer-reviewed annually by professors of Linguistics employed at US Universities
  • Feedback from your tutor and peers via video comments, weekly emails, and a weekly live virtual tutorial with your classmates
  • Access to the CIEE Alumni Network – a global matrix of 350,000+ professionals
Interested in a CIEE Destination TEFL program?
North America » United States of America
Teaching Practicum
Training Type
Online
Training Length
20hours
Job Placement

Mostly yes. There is a weekly online meeting with your teacher, and you can select from a variety of appropriate times. Also, they want you to keep pace with the class, so that you'll do roughly one module per week. There is also a final date when the practicum is due. However you can do the course at your convenience, and whenever you have available time.

• Benefits
  • Facilities
  • Instruction
  • Difficulty
  • Job Assistance

Nathan
Ellsworth, Maine
University of Maine- Orono (main campus)

The staff was very helpful

All the support staff and tutors were very helpful. My overseas coordinators were very helpful in helping me land a job in China and answer any questions I had during the application process. My tutor for the TEFL training course was very nice. His grading policies were fair and he answered my questions in a timely fashion. The deadline for all assignments was reasonable. Make sure to stay up to date on the discussion boards and don't wait to the last minute on assignments.

Margaret
Spain
George Washington University

Great prep

The best part of the CIEE TEFL course is the support from CIEE itself, the tutor, and fellow classmates. Because it's all online, it can be hard to stay engaged, but the powerpoints and virtual tutors are actually very helpful and keep your attention. I recommend tuning in to the weekly video conferences because it's a great way to get feedback and the tutor I had was really capable and great at explaining concepts.
As someone who does not have a teaching background, this course was a perfect way to prepare to teach in a classroom. I am definitely more confident now and have so many resources, activities, lesson plans, and tips for what I'll face as a teacher.
While it is a bit expensive, it's clear that a lot of effort goes into making the course valuable and worthwhile. Great preparation!

More ways for students to interact with each other would improve the outcome for everyone.

Rachel
Chumphon, Thailand
University of Colorado- Boulder

TEFL before traveling! TEFL before teaching!

I have never taken a course so applicable to my everyday live as a teacher. The material was engaging and interesting even on the web! Before even going to teach English specifically it helped me recognize trends in native speakers in my own classroom. You leave this course with a portfolio of lessons and helpful feedback on each one. Now teaching English to non-native speakers I refer to my material daily and utilize all of the skills we learned. I have had teachers who did not take the TEFL course ask for the notes I use, and got from these presentations. I have gotten so many good ideas from my colleagues by doing peer reviews in this class. And I have received many helpful tips on my ideas as well. This course doesn't just give you information and send you out into English teaching, it provides you a chance to practice it as well. Also if you are somewhere where you don't know the native language you have helpful tips for learning a second language of your own!

I have never been a good online student, I thrive on connections made by talking to people in person, I find it difficult to get those online. I get distracted by silly things on the internet and tech problems are beyond frustrating to me. I had grim hopes going into this online Tefl course, and I was totally wrong.

TEFL give you a community, something I never felt in other online courses. Being in a foreign place teaching a foreign language can feel isolating. Some days are incredibly hard this course gives you a community of people all over the world that are doing the same thing as you, you are not alone! And while different countries will have differences being able to get advice and help from your tutor and colleagues is so helpful.

Spencer
Madrid, Spain

A must-have for anyone who wants to teach English as a Foreign Language

I took this course as preparation for teaching English in Spain, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to teach English as a Foreign Language. Not only is the certification incredibly valuable in finding a job, but the class will help you develop as an instructor, as well. The course covers a diversity of topics, ranging from grammar lessons to lesson planning to adapting to culture difference to classroom management. This wide range makes the class apt for both anxious beginning teachers and also veterans looking to hone their skills. The instructor and support staff are all incredibly kind, responsive, and timely, and they always resolved issues as quickly as possible. The most valuable part of this course are the Module Graded Assignments, which give you the opportunity to put together lessons, practice teaching, and get feedback.

At times, the material presented in the slides can become repetitive, but most of it is generally interesting. The discussion boards and weekly live classes also did not promote as much lively conversation as I would have liked, but that may have been a product of the students in my class, so your experience may differ.

Rositsa

Great experience and solid preparation

I really enjoyed being a part of this course and I have to say that it changed my whole perspective on my own learning style and how I viewed teaching in general.

The course is very comprehensive and looks at different aspects of teaching: language understanding, basic grammar, cultural awareness, classroom organization, lesson planning, etc. It was really nice that it combined theory with practical application and gave useful tips and tricks for the classroom. I especially appreciated the live tutorials, it was great to speak to the other students and our tutor in real time - it made me feel like I was a part of a real class to a point where it was sad to say goodbye to everyone at the end of the 11 weeks :)

I liked that I could go through each module at your own pace but you still have deadlines that keep you in check. I work full time and I was able to keep up with the material and assignments each week but when I did the additional readings and research I did end up staying up late at night some of the days, I was so fascinated with everything I was learning. Each module provides a very extensive library of links to articles, videos, blogs and other useful resources which I found very helpful – there is so much about EFL on the web that it’s hard to say which ones are the legit websites.

I did the course without a clear plan in mind and I did not use CIEE’s job placement services, I gave this category a 10 on my rating because they do offer a lifetime job assistance (not placement but guidance) which is amazing and it makes me feel like I am now a part of an exclusive club :) I always thought teaching English as a foreign language was a job I might want to do someday so this certificate course was a perfect fit. I am really happy I did it and I feel confident that now I have the skills and the mindset to be a successful EFL teacher.

In terms of the material presentation, it did feel like it was mostly reading – it was mixed with videos, audio recordings, quizzes, etc. to break it up but I wish there were more interactive pieces to it.

Also, Canva is a great platform but their mobile application is not up to par. I was often on the road and I wish I could have used the app for accessing the module materials and for the live tutorials.

Kimberly
New Hampshire
University of New Hampshire

From A's to Asia

The CIEE TEFL program has been especially beneficial to me because this is also the company that has arranged my travel to teach abroad in China in the upcoming year. The course itself is not especially difficult, but it does take a lot of time and energy. The most useful aspects of the course are the weekly assignments and weekly tutorials. Right now I have spent hours rearranging a lesson plan for our final assignment, but I feel like I'm really doing the thinking that will prepare me for real life situations. The power point presentations throughout the modules could use some work simply because they become very repetitive, but I would rather get some of that repetitive information than not get the information at all. My tutor is very willing to answer my questions, and typically responds within 24 hours which is nice. Overall, I would recommend this certification course.

A few improvements would be making the power points a little less repetitive and therefore less tedious. I also think that I would approach my practicum differently if I did it again. The local adult learning center that I completed my hours at was very accommodating. However, I think it was difficult for the teachers to understand that I was getting my certification through an outside source rather than a university. If I could somehow make that more accessible to them rather than surprising I think it would have helped me out as I approached the first few sessions with them.

Juliana

Great experience!

The CIEE TEFL course has been a great experience and I'm really satisfied about my time and money invested in it. I took the course because a friend of mine was going to take it and I thought it was a good opportunity to do it as well. I'm glad I made that decision!
This is an intense course and it requires time and commitment from the students, mostly in the first part of it; at the same time it is a really well structured course and designed for the students to organize according to their own schedules.
Definitely it's a door for great experiences and it's really helpful if you want to start a teaching career.

Casey
Maine

Well worth it!

The CIEE TEFL course has proven to be an invaluable experience. At first, I was hesitant because it was my first on-line class, but my tutor did a great job facilitating classroom discussion and was always there to assist my classmates and I through live tutorials and active weekly discussion boards.
The course can be intense and does require a commitment. However, do not let that steer you away! I really enjoyed being able to plan my own schedule and work at my own pace. The flexibility of the course allowed me to complete it alongside a full-time job and I was able to plan around scheduled meetings and vacations. As expected, I walked away from the course with the knowledge to organize and design lesson plans and to communicate with my students. Weekly discussions with my tutor and “pro” tips from previous alums allowed me to walk away with a toolbox filled with all sorts of sample activities and lessons. However, the CIEE TEFL program was so much more than that! It really helped me to develop my cultural awareness and intercultural communication skills.
The TEFL certification is a great thing to have in your back pocket if you are planning on spending time abroad, but it can also give you the tools you need to teach English right from your hometown, whether it be in an on-line classroom, or at a local EFL center. The course material even helped me organize more efficient training tools for my current job! With your CIEE TEFL certification, the possibilities are endless!

Priscilla
Costa Rica

Great course!

This was an excellent course, very beneficial for my teaching career. It was also very well organized and nicely structured; the instructions were always clear. Plus, the tutor and CIEE staff were very helpful.
You should know it is a time consuming course so you need to manage your time very well in order to keep up, but I assure you it is totally worth it.
I highly recommend it. It will help you get a job in multiple countries, for either in-person teaching or online teaching, so you have multiple options to choose from.

Travis
China
University of Central Florida

CIEE review

Overall going through CIEE was a great experience. I really wanted to have someone there for me during the process of applying. They were able to help and keep me on track with all required documents needed and who to send them to. I believe this process people can do on their own, but having a team like CIEE makes it a lot easier! Whenever I had questions or concerns, they would never hesitate to assist or give me the correct information needed. I think going through CIEE was awesome and convenient. If you have any questions for future reference, they will gladly be able to assist you and give you any information you want to know. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Lindsay
Nanjing, China
Drake University

Great guidance and TEFL were EXCELLENT

Because I am far beyond my college years and didn't know where to even begin, CIEE was a tremendous help in guiding me through the process of finding a job and obtaining my TEFL certification. Ally was my little angel providing me with support and answering all my questions in a professional and timely fashion - everything from serious stuff to ridiculously trivial stuff!
The TEFL course was excellent and our instructor was fabulous! It was challenging in that I worked a full-time job so I had to do a bit of juggling but I managed to complete everything. Likewise, it got my brain thinking as a teacher again after being out of education for 12+ years. I will admit that the class could be a bit unrealistic compared to what you are thrown into in "real life" but at least it gives you an excellent foundation. For example, almost all the teaching scenarios in the class were something like - "you have a class of 8 students with intermediate-advanced English skills". In actuality, at least in the teaching placement I am in, I have classes of 45-50 college students with barely any English skills...and I have 12 of those classes, so around 500 students! Needless to say, it is absolutely necessary to be flexible, adaptable, creative, and willing to laugh at yourself and the situation you may find yourself in.
Now that I have been in China for a year, I have been able to secure a new job for next year that pays considerably more than my CIEE placement at a school with amazing facilities. But I am so happy for my current experience because I have learned a ton about myself and what I am capable of when placed in a new and strange environment. CIEE and the TEFL program helped me along the way and I always knew I could reach out to them with questions or concerns should anything arise.

The cost of the program is a bit pricey. While the support and guidance were great, I don't know if it is worth the $$$ now that I have been here. However, at the time, it was the best for me.

Amy
Phoenix, Arizona
Dartmouth College

CIEE TEFL

I had a wonderful experience with CIEE TEFL. I decided to take the course even though my contract to Teach in Thailand (which I also did through CIEE Teach Abroad and would highly recommend to everyone!) didn't require I have a TEFL certification. I loved that the course was online, so I was able to get my certification without stepping into a classroom every week. The course was structured enough to keep me reliable, but allowed enough space that I was able to travel and work and still complete my certification. The instructor (Annette!) was amazing and was always willing to help and answer any questions I had. And the staff at CIEE (Molly, Jeannette and Ally!) were amazing. They are so helpful and I always felt supported while completing the certification.

The lessons were extremely helpful, and I can honestly say that getting my TEFL certification through CIEE was a life saver. Teaching is underrated, and I was so grateful I took the steps to get certified before jumping into teaching abroad. I learned so much about general classroom guidelines, developing relationships across cultural boundaries, supporting different learning styles, and developing and effectively executing constructive and positive lessons for all students and learning types.

I'd recommend this to everyone! Thanks so much CIEE TEFL!

When I took the course, I thought it would be great if they did some kind of TEFL abroad program... and later that year they rolled out one of these programs! They now offer TEFL courses in places like Thailand and Vietnam, which is amazing. They are really on the ball and are always striving to make their program better and more effective.

Gabriela
Tampa, FL

Well worth it!

Overall, I am extremely pleased with CIEE's 150-hour TEFL training course. I decided to take this course the summer before going to teach abroad in Spain, and now that I've just finished I can confidently say that I feel prepared for my job abroad.

The course's interface, Canvas, is extremely user-friendly and makes it easy to view course content, submit graded work and interact with other peers.

Despite the fact that this course is 100% online, it is very holistic in its teaching approaches. Aside from traditional lectures in the form of slide presentations, this course also had audio lectures, discussion boards where you can have great discussions with other people also taking the course, real-life scenario situations and short quizzes along the way to check for understanding. I interacted with the course material, I was not a passive observer. I was asked to give my opinion, to analyze, to create, to rate, to evaluate and more. Best of all, the course has given me a huge list of resources that I have archived in my computer for the future when I need lesson plan ideas, need to refresh my memory on a topic before teaching, and much more.

The course is very demanding, you will spend 10-15 hours a week between doing assignments, intreating on discussion boards and attending class online. It is all worth it!

Dave
Fort Lauderdale, FL
American University

Getting TEFL certified through CIEE

This is a great class to take for anyone interested in a career as an EFL teacher. It was informative, well-organized, and interesting. The course content is a combination of PowerPoint slides, videos, discussion boards, and quizzes. My instructor was helpful and responsive and I enjoyed working with her. The practicum gives you hands on experience working with students who are learning English, and is very rewarding. It is true that I was given a lot of information over the course of ten weeks, and I had to budget your time accordingly. Within 10 weeks we had to complete 130 online class hours, take a short quiz at the end of each module, a weekly written assignment of about 500 words, grade three written assignment of our peers, complete a final written assignment, complete a final exam, and attend a weekly conference with our instructor (we're given an extra month to complete the 20 hour practicum). But being an online course allowed me to work at my convenience, and it was never overwhelming.

Bottom line, CIEE offers a great online education program for anyone who's serious about TEFL, and provides great resources for future job applicants.

Catherine
Falmouth, ME
University of Maine- Orono (main campus)

I Chose The Right Course

I started this 150-hour course scared and nervous because I hadn't taken a class since I graduated college in 2014. I didn't know what to expect, how much work their really was, or if I'd be able to complete my practicum! But here I am, on the other side of this course, feeling a whole lot better about teaching English abroad than before. I was able to complete my practicum, even though I was terrified of messing up in front of my students. I even learned grammar, which was something that was never taught to me in school. This course not only made me feel more comfortable as a teacher, but it also helped me with my writing.

It's perfect.

Molly
Cumberland, Maine

Worth all the time and effort!

There is a lot to be learned in CIEE TEFL's course, but it's worth it if you're serious about pursuing a career in teaching English to nonnative speakers. You do need to be very motivated and organized to do well, but I knew that going into an online course. This is NOT a certification class you can take just to receive a piece of paper. The tutors and staff really want you to understand the material and be proud of your work (and there will be a lot of it!). The expectations are high from the get-go, so it's important to hit the ground running.

Small classes, weekly tutorials, discussion boards, and clear learning outcomes are some of the highlights in this course. The online platform is also really easy to use. The 20-hour practice teaching component, in particular, really cements the theory and strategies you're shown in class. I would recommend this course to anyone who is planning on teaching English abroad, or even anyone looking to advance in the field.

Colin
South Korea
Hope College

Good Course!

I believe that this course was quite helpful. It was a very long course but that also meant that it was all inclusive. My teacher was very good. She always left great comments and was there if we had questions or needed advice. I found some of the material to be very helpful and some of it not so much. The school that I am teaching at is very book focused so it is difficult to use any creativity. However, the course did help with just relating to the kids in general.

Caden
Madrid, Spain
University of Minnesota

Useful, but expensive

Overall, the 150 hour TEFL course was moderately helpful in learning new strategies for teaching English. The best assignments were related to direct application of strategies and techniques whereas the least helpful assignments/lecture had to do with a philosophical exploration of teaching, learning, and cross-culturalism. The course was unduly expensive and requires a lot of time. Now, while abroad I find myself using some techniques and finding even more inapplicable. But, I am glad I took the course, at least to feel better equipped.

COST!

Gregg
Minneapolis, MN
Hamline University

Thailand is Great!

Teaching in Thailand is a wonderful opportunity for personal growth and enlightenment! Every day is a grand adventure with the students, faculty and community members. Living in a "compound" with other English teachers from the United States adds so much to the adventure. This gives all of the members an opportunity to have a support system during the school day and outside of the school day as well. Members of the "compound" get to travel together on the weekends and have a built in "family" for holidays and other special events. One year being twelve zones away from home couldn't possibly be better than being in Thailand. Everyone would love to have this marvelous experience of teaching in Thailand!

Kelsey
Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin- Madison

It is what you make of it

A bit of background on myself: I am a 23-year-old graduate of UW-Madison and I took the 150 hour CIEE TEFL course in preparation for my CIEE Teach Abroad Program in Chile. I have had quite a few hours of classroom facilitation but no experience teaching English, though I am well versed in the language.
The cons: An online course of how to run a classroom, in my mind, seems bound to fail, so perhaps this review is unfair. What I mostly gained from the coursework was what to specifically google the things I need to know as a future teacher. Exams were super easy to skate through, and I didn't really have to read all of the slides to do well on the tests. I wish the course would have focused more on lesson planning and less on how to adapt to a new culture and educational theories that I will probably rarely consider day-to-day. I also hated the pseudo class discussions online where posting is mandatory and you have to reflect on classmates' comments. Certain types of media were really difficult to upload and I had some technical issues.
The pros: The course has a mostly-intuitive layout. It provides you with a ton of resources at the end of every module which was one of the few things I knew I would return to. I did gain a better understanding of how to plan lessons which is key. Classroom videos and critiques of live teachers did help, but those only came near the end of the course. My tutor was awesome and easy to get a hold of. I also really enjoyed the practicum component of the course.

Less personal reflection/discussion online and more videos of live classrooms/activities.

CIEE: Council on International Educational Exchange – world leader in international education and exchange – is a nonprofit, nongovernmental organization. For more than 67 years, CIEE has helped thousands of people gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent