CIEE Online TEFL Certification Courses

Teaching English to non-native speakers is essential now more than ever. Both at home and abroad, the necessity for English teachers is growing daily. Getting TEFL certified means greater job opportunity in your hometown, as well as the promise of adventure abroad. With CIEE, the leader in international education and exchange since 1947, you get the support and knowledge of over 70 years of experience as well as access to the resources of over 350,000 alumni across the world.

CIEE currently offers 3 different online TEFL courses:
  • 180 Hour Course: (14 weeks) Online professional certificate including 20-hours practicum teaching and 30-hours age specific course –for $1,150
  • What makes CIEE TEFL unique?
    • Accredited by the World TEFL Accrediting Commission, and peer-reviewed annually by professors of Linguistics employed at US Universities
    • Feedback from your tutor and peers via video comments, weekly emails, and a weekly live virtual tutorial with your classmates
    • Access to the CIEE Alumni Network – a global matrix of 350,000+ professionals
    Interested in a CIEE Destination TEFL program?
  • Support and guidance from CIEE staff in Portland, Maine.
  • Small class size (13 or fewer).
  • Personalized attention and weekly tutorials from your tutor.
  • Alumni network of over 350,000 across the globe.
  • Job opportunities both at home and abroad.

Hi Victor! Yes - as Joanna said, you are expected to find your own practicum in your area. I found it intimidating at first but it is actually a great way to prep you for the job hunt that is ahead of you. CIEE's list is a good starting point but don't limit yourself to it, I am sure you will find plenty of schools, non-profits that work with immigrants, churches, etc. in your area that will be...
Mostly yes. There is a weekly online meeting with your teacher, and you can select from a variety of appropriate times. Also, they want you to keep pace with the class, so that you'll do roughly one module per week. There is also a final date when the practicum is due. However you can do the course at your convenience, and whenever you have available time.

• Benefits 8.9
  • Facilities 7.2
  • Instruction 9
  • Difficulty 7.3
  • Job Assistance 8.3
Molly

In-depth curriculum, easy to use site, great course!

As someone who recently finished college having the course offered online is great. The 150 hour certification is a good amount of work but it is on an easy to use platform, and the tutor is easily accessible when help is needed. The weekly discussions provide assistance when needed and allow for group discussion that flows more naturally than a discussion board. I have little to no teaching experience, especially when it comes to teaching someone a foreign language and I found that this course not only helps with lesson and content but also how to teach to different students. Whether that is students of different ages or different learning style preferences. The course prepares you to be flexible and have the ability to make adjustments as needed.

I think that the course description could have been a little clearer, especially before signing up for the course. I would have liked to know ahead of time in clearer words what was expected of me, especially in reference to the practicum.
Leslie

Door opener!!

I am so very thankful to have taken this course because it really helped me grow as an educator and as a person. When I took the course I was going to school and had a full time and the amount of work we had to do each week was very manageable. If I was ever stumped or needed guidance I could always reach out to a classmate in our group discussion or contact my professor, who always got back to me on time even though she was in China and we were in completely different time zones. It gave me more intel as to how to lesson plan, manage my time in the classroom, the different ways I could modify my lectures to cater to students needs, and how to work with my co-teacher to help my students understand the material. I think anyone who takes the course will really learn a lot and become a better person for it. Theres a lot of little things that you don't think about when you consider teaching abroad and this course helps bring them to light and prepare you for your journey ahead. After the program I left for my 1st job abroad, had the best time of my life met great people, had the most amazing school and students (whom I adore) and felt very prepared to do my job right and really be an effective teacher. Yes travel is a big part of this journey but what it really comes down to is the impact you make in these children's lives and I feel that this course really helped prepare me for this. I would definitely recommend this TEFL certificate through CIEE and may you also have an amazing teaching experience as I did. The certificate is the 1st step needed and you won't regret it, these kids will change your life! :)

I think it's a bit expensive but worth it, aside from that the program itself is fine as it is. Thank you!
Eric

US teacher approves! Great content, flexible format and live instructor!

This course is a great example of getting what you pay for. It teaches the same kinds of theory, tools and best practices as those required by my state teacher license exam. The online platform and thoughtful pacing made it easy to balance this thorough course with my day job. The weekly live sessions with the instructor are also very helpful for getting feedback from a seasoned professional in this subject area. Always do your research but make sure this one is under consideration!

Timothy

This certificate has opened new doors for my future.

I found CIEE's TEFL course to be extremely helpful in preparing me for my time teaching overseas. The course was well-designed and easy to follow. My instructor was easily available to help answer questions, and gave excellent advice every time we spoke. The online platform made it easy to keep in touch with my classmates throughout the course, and the exercises that we completed together really helped to make these "online identities" feel like friends (starting with the very first assignment, Two Truths and a Lie, where we broke the ice). I particularly appreciated the course's instruction on the science of learning and the benefits of teaching and exploring new languages (everything from "It's useful in the job market" to "Understanding a language helps one understand a different culture"). Reminders like these made the less-exciting lessons feel worth it.

The course that I took was designed to be 120 hours online (or maybe 130?). This equates to about one hour a lesson. In most cases, I spent a bit more time than that to complete each segment; I was really aiming for a "Pass with Distinction," however, which could explain my slower pace. Make no mistake, the course is a significant time commitment--I would not have been able to take it while I was still studying at my university.

CIEE has successfully placed me with a school in Shanghai; however I am not yet there and this is my first foreign placement, so I cannot speak on the exact usefulness of my TEFL certification just yet! I will say that, after receiving my certificate and exploring the employment options that it affords me, the course seems to more than pay for itself. With this certificate from CIEE, I am able to teach in a myriad different countries. The opportunities seem endless! China is on the horizon, but receiving this certificate has inspired me to think beyond the next year and consider exploring different corners of the world... something that I would not have considered prior to learning about all that this certification course allows me to do. These opportunities, paired with the easy user experience and helpful guidance that I received from CIEE's TEFL instructors, make the course one of the best investments I have placed in myself. I would highly recommend it to those who are looking to become TEFL certified.

Nothing is perfect, and this TEFL course is no exception. However, after completing all of the lessons/units and understanding what this certificate affords me, I cannot think of anything to improve this course. It is well-designed, concise without feeling bare, and integrative of all learning styles. Yes, clicking through a thousand PowerPoint slides can feel exhausting, but I am uncertain how else these lessons could be accomplished without such a format. In the end, it is worth it!
Kate

A worthwhile and helpful intro into teaching English abroad

I did a lot of research into different TEFL programs and found that CIEE was the most well reviewed and reputable program. The $1900 fee is well worth it for both the course and the assistance with the visa process and connections with jobs. I don't have a background in teaching and so the course was a great intro into the world of teaching, specifically teaching in a foreign country. The help with finding a job and the visa process was also worthwhile, as both those processes can be pretty overwhelming. I'm still wrapping up the course and so far have had quick responses and help from the CIEE staff. Would definitely recommend!

While the course is helpful, it's not quite as challenging as I would have liked. The assignments are good at making you think critically about teaching in a foreign country and to practice planning lessons, the lessons themselves are easy to rush through and aren't as challenging as I would have liked.
Rebekah

Teaching in china

I have been teaching in china the past year, thanks to my tefl certification and CIEE. I absolutely love it! The skills you learn make you more confident in being able to work with the kids abroad. It is also a requirement for China now, so I am glad I decided to do it, even before it was deemed necessary. Despite being super expensive, it is a certification I will have for life, and that is worth the price.

There is a lot of videos, and is rather expensive coming right out of university
Kate

Very helpful course!

I am so grateful to have taken this course through CIEE! I already knew that I was getting a job through CIEE, which is why I rated the job assistance one lower. My tutor was very helpful, she answered any and all questions I had and she was a great instructor. It made me very excited to go teach in Korea this fall, and helped me realize the true challenges I would face. It's clear that this CIEE TEFL course was created from people who have seen participants teach abroad many, many times, and brought very valuable information. It taught me things I would have never thought of, and I appreciate the collaboration with my tutor and other students. Even though it was online, I feel like I got to know my classmates and the material very well. I am anxiously waiting my departure date to use what I learned through this course. I cannot recommend it enough!

Valerie

In-Depth Learning for Beginners

I have never taught before and was afraid that this TEFL course would be difficult, but it was easy to follow and emphasized points in a way that is easy to understand. There are some parts of a few presentations that could be worded better, in my opinion, but there is nothing so egregious as to distract from the learning. I love that it uses a variety of methods for teaching, including live tutorials with a tutor and the rest of your class, written exercises, video examples, and more!

I think someone could go through the course presentations to make all wording as clear as possible.
Shawn

Leading to a Life Abroad

After college I decided to travel and wanted to stay abroad as long as possible so I figured I'd get a teaching certificate to travel around Asia for about 5 monthsa nd then teach for a semester or a year. Little did I know that I would still be living abroad working as a teacher over 2 years later! The course was simple, direct and allowed you to work at your own pace and only had to attend a once weekly meeting. The homework assignments were very useful and practicum was a big help for when the real teaching began! If you don't want to try one of the sessions abroad are are trying to complete the program while still in school then this is a perfect fit for you! I also got an extra 30 hour specification certificate for free!

Cheryl

TEFL Certification

I loved the dynamic conversations with my class, my teacher inspirational stories and the overall process. I learned so much about cultural differences in the view of the English language that I never considered previously. I also love the possibilities of having a certification and being able to teach around the world. I would love to have a 2nd career where I can live, for a time, in different countries teaching and absorbing the culture. This certification is the start of that opportunity.

Allison

Gap year success

I took a gap year after I graduated from my undergrad. I wanted to use the time to learn new things, and I chose to get TEFL certified. I was familiar with CIEE from working with my college’s International Education Office. The price was reasonable and they included practicum hours into the program, which was a huge bonus for me. I put a lot of work into it, and as a result, learned a lot. I love tutoring my students and CIEE helped prepare me with a skill set that can meet their needs.

I was a bit discouraged by the lack of involvement some of my course mates seemed to show, but that’s not on CIEE. Other than that, I found it was a learning curve for me to know exactly how to do the assignments. (When they say less than 600 words, they mean it! 601 words will get you docked)
Samantha

A Great Way to Teach

I am so happy I made the decision to participate in this program! As a full-time student, dealing with my regular courses was manageable. I have been wanting to get a TEFL certification for several year, but the timing was always off. Then I found this program. It is just like any online class I have ever taken, but better because there is no question as to whether the information and skills I am learning will ever be used. I know that I will be able to teach English to students of all levels at the end of this course. It helps me feel more confident in myself knowing that I will be able to travel and work at the same time, especially since I absolutely love to travel and visit new places! To anyone who loves travelling and wants an affordable way to do it, I highly recommend getting a TEFL certification! The CIEE course is definitely something you should strongly consider!

Olivia

Practical Course with Concrete Benefits

I really liked the TEFL online 150 certification course because 1) you learn the essentials of English grammar, as well as teaching methods, 2) it gives you framework to teach on your own out in the world, 3) by taking the course I was automatically eligible to teach in Spain (Murcia program). I was offered that teaching job and it was secured before I even finished the course! Additionally, the course presents all material in an easily digestible way. The certification is internationally recognized and never expires. It's a win-win for CIEE and the student.

I found most of the material to be readily available on the internet. I paid 1,000 dollars for the course, which I felt was a bit steep. I think $500-$750 would have been more reasonable.
Stephanie

TEFL Certificate Through CIEE

Going into the TEFL certification course, I was unsure of what to expect. I was taking the course because I had already been accepted to teach abroad and needed the TEFL certification to be eligible .

I felt that the course itself was an amazing preparation for someone who would be going overseas to teach English. It prepared you in multiple ways; from teaching English itself, to planning and preparation, to classroom management. Each section had a variety of way of getting information across and it checked for your understanding through discussion boards and quizzes, which in turn prepared you for the graded coursework at the end of each unit.

I felt that I always had my questions answered by my course instructor in a timely manner and all of my graded assignments had very constructive feedback attached with it. I also liked having a chance to get on a weekly webchat with other students of the course and the course instructor. It was a way to talk about what we learned (which really helped solidify all the information we took in) and we were able to ask questions!

I will say that I am already a licensed teacher (with a focus in TESL from college) so most of the concepts taught were more of a review for me. Sometimes it felt redundant because I deal with these things on a daily basis, but it was still good to think about how I would put it into practice teaching overseas. I know it may seem like the course is expensive, but what you get from it is worth it. Access to plenty of materials to use in the future and a readily available instructor on top of what you learn makes this course worthwhile for the certificate.

Being that I am a full time teacher, I felt the weekly course expectations were very rigorous. It was difficult for me to keep up with the course at times (even with great time management) because I work 7-5 Monday through Friday. If there was any way the course could be slightly condensed, I think it would greatly assist those taking the course who are currently employed.
Rebecca

A Course for All Language Teachers

Despite the fact that I've been a teacher for more thaan four decades, there's always more to learn. While the class is primarily designed for ESL teachers, anyone who teaches a language can benefit. The online sessions focus on classroom instruction with some attention to theory. The weekly required graded assignments compel one to think about teaching practices. The workload is cumbersome, but the support is awesome.

About CIEE TEFL Programs

CIEE: Council on International Educational Exchange – world leader in international education and exchange – is a nonprofit, nongovernmental organization. For more than 70 years, CIEE has helped thousands of people gain the knowledge and skills...