CIEE Online TEFL Certification Courses

TEFL took me on all kinds of adventures!
TEFL took me on all kinds of adventures!
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Teaching Abroad in Thailand through CIEE Teach Abroad
Teaching Abroad in Thailand through CIEE Teach Abroad
My Students Think I'm a Superhero
Peace Sign Selfie Time

CIEE TEFL provides internationally recognized online courses to fit your learning needs! Our flagship, 150-hour TEFL certification course provides you with 130 hours of online coursework spread over 11 weeks with support from a personal tutor and small class sizes. In addition, you’ll put into action everything you’ve learned with your 20-hour independent practicum.

Is a 150-hour course more than you planned for? Our 60-hour online introductory TEFL course might be the best fit for you. Worried about practicum? We offer two-week opportunities in various countries where you can get a taste for teaching abroad and complete your practicum under a structured environment. Already know what age group you want to teach - we’ve got a course for that too! Our 30-hour age specialization course will prepare you for young learners, teens, or adults.

To be eligible for one of our courses, you'll need to be a fluent English speaker and at least 18+ years of age.

CIEE currently offers 4 different online TEFL courses:
  • 180 Hour Course: (14 weeks) Online professional certificate including 20-hours practicum teaching and 30-hours age specific course –for $1,250
  • What makes CIEE TEFL unique?
    • Accredited by the World TEFL Accrediting Commission, and peer-reviewed annually by professors of Linguistics employed at US Universities
    • Feedback from your tutor and peers via video comments, weekly emails, and a weekly live virtual tutorial with your classmates
    • Access to the CIEE Alumni Network – a global matrix of 350,000+ professionals
  • Support and guidance from CIEE staff in Portland, Maine
  • Small class size (16 or fewer)
  • Personalized attention and weekly tutorials from your tutor
  • Alumni network of over 350,000 across the globe
  • Job opportunities both at home and abroad

Hi Victor! Yes - as Joanna said, you are expected to find your own practicum in your area. I found it intimidating at first but it is actually a great way to prep you for the job hunt that is ahead of you. CIEE's list is a good starting point but don't limit yourself to it, I am sure you will find plenty of schools, non-profits that work with immigrants, churches, etc. in your area that will be...
Mostly yes. There is a weekly online meeting with your teacher, and you can select from a variety of appropriate times. Also, they want you to keep pace with the class, so that you'll do roughly one module per week. There is also a final date when the practicum is due. However you can do the course at your convenience, and whenever you have available time.

• Benefits 8.9
  • Facilities 7.2
  • Instruction 9.1
  • Academic Rigor 7.5
  • Job Assistance 8.4
Keenan

One Fine Class

The TEFL program was a very nice tool for learning about different things to expect in a classroom. It opened up a conversation for scenarios that may take a new teacher by surprise. It also provided quite a few ideas on how to work quickly and go with the flow.

For someone, like myself, with very little teaching experience in a classroom, this course provided a good primer that others who studied Education may have received. I did not study Education so this course did help to give me an idea of what to expect in my own classroom.

While the online portion of the course was beneficial, the practicum really taught me quite a bit. The requirement of getting out and practicing in a classroom was very beneficial. I am happy this is required so that my first time in a classroom wasn't in front of 50 Thai children.

The CIEE TEFL course really was quite nice. The lectures were interesting enough, conversation with other coursemates and the teacher were insightful, and the practicum gave me confidence.

To improve this program I would offer an option to substitute part of the learning experience with an audio file so that information could be learned by listening in the car or on a run.
Dave

Very useful for those who wish to teach abroad

I enrolled in CIEE's TEFL course while I was teaching abroad in Spain. It was 130 online hours plus 20 practicum hours. Our group met weekly online to work on whatever project was needed that week. Our teacher was very helpful and guided us diligently. I got my TEFL certificate in two months and used that TEFL certificate to get a job teaching abroad in Chile. I highly recommend it for those who plan to teach English abroad. Many jobs require it and it shows us many good ESL/EFL teaching strategies.

Madison

CIEE's TEFL Course Offered Invaluable Preparation for Teaching Abroad

I began my TEFL course through CIEE in March 2019 while finishing up my last semester of undergrad, six months before leaving to teach abroad in Spain. I would recommend working ahead if possible; doing so helped me to balance my school work, job, and this course without feeling too overwhelmed.

The course offers amazing resources and modules that prepare you to teach with a diverse range of age levels and group sizes. I also gained insight about working with different cultural groups and was able to refresh my memory on grammar rules (something I hadn't realized I needed!). Since coming to Spain, I have utilized much of what I learned through the TEFL course with my students and in my private tutoring lessons.

My instructor was extremely helpful and accommodating. There were weekly video chat sessions that we had to attend, which I was unable to due to a conflicting work schedule, and she allowed me to watch the recorded sessions on my own time and take notes for credit. She also responded very quickly to all of my questions and messages, and I felt like she genuinely cared about my progress and success in the course.

There is a 20-hour practicum requirement, which initially felt daunting, but I ended up really enjoying my experience. I worked with adults at an ESL center and gained a lot of confidence in my abilities as a teacher. I think the practicum is a very unique part of the TEFL course and am glad that I had the opportunity to do it.

I would highly recommend the TEFL course, especially if you feel unsure about what teaching abroad really entails, because of how much more prepared I now feel in the classroom and in my tutoring sessions.

Lura

TEFL and Me

I thought that the program was a great opportunity to obtain my TEFL and also apply for a job teaching English abroad. I already have an education degree, so much of the content and information provided was a refresher course to me. However, the TEFL course added another perspective as to how to teach English as a foreign language, especially to elementary levels. The Canvas platform that was used is very user-friendly and easy to follow the modules for the weekly schedule. My tutor for the course was very enthusiastic and provided helpful feedback throughout the course, including individualized comments on assignments and detailed video comments on projects. The course was as interactive as it could be on an online platform with forums and discussions with other classmates.

The only improvement I have for my own personal experience is that my class tutor was unable to personally review and grade our class's final assignments due to other obligations. Instead, a different instructor/ tutor reviewed and graded our final assignments, so I felt that she did not have the background of knowing us as students and understanding our progression throughout the 11-week course. I still made a passing grade, but I thought it was a bit odd to have a different tutor grade the final assignments.
Benjamin

CIEE Does it Right

CIEE's online TERL certification course is great. Ten weeks plus an extra four week to complete practicum hours. On top of getting to choose a start date that works best for you, once in the course you have constant communication the entire time. I reached out to my TEFL advisor multiple times and she gave me great advice for the course and it's materials. Great constructive feedback on work that was turned in during the course. This course helped me understand how to teach English as a foreign language.

The course promotes a collaborative atmosphere with discussion boards and weekly online sessions to go over the module of the week. This gave great insight on how to teach english as a second language properly. Being able to have a resource was a huge help.

If you are planning on working abroad, there are many ways to use your TEFL certificate to obtain a position online or a physical location to have extra income.
Julia

TEFL CIEE

I entered this class not knowing what to expect. I was offered assistance right away. I could communicate any issues I had with my tutor or the ciee team. They were all very helpful and got back to me promptly, which was nice.
A lot was covered in my class. Old and new techniques of teaching English, different methods, and different situations we could be put in. We are required to make lesson plans, and that prepared me very well going into my future job. Nothing beats in person experience, but this will definitely set you miles ahead if you have never been in a classroom before as a teacher. The class did take 11 weeks, which was a pretty thorough chunk of time. Yet the online aspect made it a bit easier to get through and maintain my job at the time. My tutor also really seemed like he wanted to support us, which was super nice.

An

CIEE TEFL course overall review

This TEFL course is a part of the CIEE program. Though I do think that the course itself was quite expensive comparing to other TEFL courses that I have found online. However, I do think that you are also paying for the support of the whole CIEE program throughout the whole course along with a high quality online education. So overall, I think the price that I paid was somewhat decent, still a little bit expensive but I liked the support that I got. However, if you do find a TEFL program that you like outside of CIEE, you can go for that and complete it and still apply for the Teach Abroad CIEE but with none TEFL course. Though I went with this TEFL course because I applied to EPIK, which is a english teach program through the Korean government and they are familiar with the CIEE program and figured that was the best way to go. Anyways, good luck you guys!

Tess

CIEE online TEFL course

I took the CIEE online TEFL course to prepare to teach elementary and middle school in South Korea. My experience overall was very positive! While before I took the course I wasn't convinced that a TEFL certification was necessary, in my current position, I couldn't imagine not having the background with theory, lesson planning ideas and practice, classroom management tactics, and practical experience. Even though I did take the course online, the requirement to do 20 hours of practicum work really helped me put the material into practice, and it gave me confidence going into my first days. My tutor and classmates were all wonderful, as well. My tutor was very responsive and gave tons of personalized feedback. She was also understanding when I had to turn in homework late because of work and travel delays. I also felt confident in the instruction and commitments made by CIEE because they are a familiar, non profit study and teach abroad agency. I would definitely recommend this program if you are looking for an online TEFL course!

I would choose your start date carefully. The course is a big commitment, and you need enough time to finish all the work.
Hannah

TEFL prepared for workforce

I really enjoyed my TEFL experience! It was all very well structured so I felt like I was receiving a lot of information but also it didn’t overwhelm me. I had taught English before in a casual setting so it was very helpful to get a more technical/professional training. I would highly recommend this course for anyone who is new at teaching English or wants a more professional training. It gave me the confidence needed to move across the world and feel prepared, and without this training I think the whole experience would have been a lot more daunting. Highly recommend for anyone looking for that last bit of encouragement if deciding to work abroad, and it also looks great on a resume and has helped me get private tutoring since beginning my journey abroad.

Some of the material felt too simple but regardless that still provided a good review and overall the course helped me feel more confident in my English teaching abilities.
Shelby

The Real Deal

CIEE's TEFL course is the real deal. Spoiler alert: This course WILL make you a better ESL teacher.

I'm a planner who spends entirely too much time conducting mountains of research before committing to any one thing (seriously, you should have seen how many Amazon reviews I read before purchasing my 13 gallon, stainless steel kitchen trashcan – who ever know the trashcan market was so big!). Point being – I do not make decisions lightly!

Before taking the plunge, I read my fair share about various TEFL Certifications (all the way from super sketch to legit) on the market. I’m so happy I selected CIEE’s program. While the course was a bit rigorous, it truly pushed me to learn and develop my skills. If you’re looking for a TEFL course simply to tick off a checkbox, this isn’t the one. Take this course if you’re interested in devoting 11 weeks to working with a tutor, learning new material and want to become a knowledgeable ESL teacher.

One of my main reservations about this course was that it is hosted online. Knowing my learning style, this certainly gave me pause. I identify as a good student, but don’t always trust myself to find my motivation. While the course moves along at a fast pace, I was actually very appreciative of the internal deadlines set in the course – they gave me just enough time to complete the work and move along at the same speed of the rest of my peers. This keep me motivated and on track.

By the end of the course, I was surprised by the amount of material we covered. I reflected over the assignments I submitted and was proud of the work I produced (I still refer to them from time to time!). Through the guidance of my tutor and the in-depth lessons covered, I finished the course feeling truly prepared and confident.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I had to restart the process, I would have taken the course sooner!
Callie

A Culturally Aware Course with Lots of Opportunities for Real-life Application

I took this course to prepare for the CIEE Teach Abroad in Thailand program. I wanted to gain intercultural skills and culturally sensitive teaching skills that would help me be the best teacher possible even though I don't know Thai. Since CIEE offers program participants a course discount, I didn't look into any other TEFL courses. However, I have not been disappointed. My favorite thing about all my experiences with CIEE (Study Abroad, Teach Abroad, TEFL) has been the incredible staff who are all experienced travelers with incredible advice and personal accounts of their own traveling experiences. To me, this aspect is invaluable because the specific challenges in any country or foreign job are unique to that culture or environment. Therefore, I loved the resource of a real tutor and the weekly tutorials where we could discuss course content as a group. This made the course a little more personal as well since most of the work was independent besides occasional discussion boards or peer reviews. The course itself was engaging, informative, and very culturally aware. They integrated cultural challenges and communication barriers in much of the material (not just as its own topic). I also enjoyed how they brought up topics multiple times in different contexts to cover how they may change depending on the age group of students, their proficiency level, the country or culture your in, the classroom environment, and many other factors that are often overlooked. The assignments were very practical and required thoughtful responses to how you may handle real teaching situations. It is hard to feel completely prepared for everything as a new teacher (or even an seasoned one), but overall, I am very satisfied with the course content and believe it is worth the investment.

The biggest problem for me was the time restrictions to finish the material assigned for each week. I understand the need to keep everyone on the same unit and to finish the course timely, but I wish there was some more flexibility. Luckily, my tutor, and I would assume most tutors, was very understanding about extending deadlines. As a warning, you shouldn't assume this course is easy enough to complete with a full-time job or other serious obligations. It's possible especially if you mention your situation to your tutor, but take CIEE's time estimations seriously, and adjust for differences based on your own work style.
Michelle

A lot of work, but worth it.

This course was a lot of work. They told us to set aside about 15 hours/week, and they weren't joking. I worked full-time and between that and taking the course, I pretty much didn't have a social life for two months. However, it was still very doable. I also really appreciated, yes appreciated that the CIEE TEFL course includes the 20 hours of real-life-experience as a requirement. I live in a small town and was still easily able to find experience working with ESL students, and that in-class experience helped me learn how to not only interact with students, but how to interact with students who can't easily understand everything that you're saying. As an EFL teacher, I know how important giving instructions is, and without any prior experience giving those instructions, I would not have felt as prepared.

Sonya

Great Program

I am a local coordinator working with international high school exchange students, and I volunteer in an adult EFL program in my community. I took this course to enable me to help my international students as well as provide the training I need to be an effective teacher in our adult EFL classes. I use what I learned on a regular basis both in content and in how to organize a lesson. Our course teacher was awesome and encouraging and made the time online enjoyable. The coursework was rigorous enough and thorough enough to keep me invested in the class for the full length of the course. I highly recommend this program. I did not go overseas to teach so I can not speak to that part of this program. I took it for what I was doing in my like at the time.

Elisabeth

Great experience!

I'm so thankful I completed this TEFL course with CIEE before leaving to teach abroad. I didn't have a background in education, and the hands-on experience through the practicum gave me the confidence and ability to lead a classroom. If I hadn't completed this, I don't believe my time abroad would've started well! My tutor was very personable and professional, and the live sessions and discussion boards were a great way to connect with everyone. Although the class is online, it's still a very personal feel and the small class size is appreciated. I worked full-time while completing this course, and found the time requirement still possible- but keeping current on content greatly helped. I would absolutely recommend this course to anyone looking to increase their skill set, gain valuable teaching experience, or simply expand their horizons!

Megan

Planning to teach overseas? Take this course.

I am so happy I decided to sign up for the TEFL course through CIEE. Not only is it helpful, it has helped me stay calm about my upcoming move.
We all know moving is stressful... Then add in being a new teacher and flying halfway across the world. You need this course if you are making this huge leap. TEFL not only touched on how to teach grammar, classroom management, student behavior and cultural differences, it even helps provide a step by step process to writing lesson plans. This is a MUST if you are new to teaching.
The instructors and supporting staff were amazing. They answered every question, helped with flexibility (I work two full time jobs) and they were always there to assist in anyway possible.
This course is a 10/10 for me. Sign up! You won't be disappointed. You will feel so ready and have the future opportunity to land great positions overseas.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About CIEE TEFL Programs

CIEE: Council on International Educational Exchange – world leader in international education and exchange – is a nonprofit, nongovernmental organization. For more than 70 years, CIEE has helped thousands of people gain the knowledge and skills...