By CIEE TEFL Programs   Reviews (32)   87% Rating

CIEE Online TEFL Certification Courses + Job Placement Services

By CIEE TEFL Programs   Reviews (32)   87% Rating
Start your summer right! Spend two weeks in Vietnam completing your practicum.
Start your TEFL course online, then hop on a plane to complete your practicum in Ho Chi Minh City July 17-29. You'll earn a 190-hour TEFL certification and complete the program with tangible work experience. In essence, you'll be an awesome candidate for a full time teaching position at home, online, or in Southeast Asia!

Do you want to professionalize your international adventure? Get TEFL certified with CIEE, the leader in International education and exchange since 1947, helping people gain understanding, acquire knowledge, and develop skills for living in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world.

CIEE currently offers 3 different online TEFL courses:
  • 150 Hour Course: (11 weeks) Online Professional Certificate including 20-hours practicum teaching -- for $1,000
  • 60 Hour Course: Self-Paced Intro to TEFL certificate -- for $300
  • 30 Hour Course: (3 weeks) Age Specific TEFL Certificate -- for $270
What makes CIEE TEFL unique?
  • Accredited by the World TEFL Accrediting Commission, and peer-reviewed annually by professors of Linguistics employed at US Universities
  • Feedback from your tutor and peers via video comments, weekly emails, and a weekly live virtual tutorial with your classmates
  • Access to the CIEE Alumni Network – a global matrix of 350,000+ professionals
Interested in a CIEE Destination TEFL program?
North America » United States of America
Teaching Practicum
Training Type
Online
Training Length
20hours
Job Placement
500.00

Mostly yes. There is a weekly online meeting with your teacher, and you can select from a variety of appropriate times. Also, they want you to keep pace with the class, so that you'll do roughly one m...

Rating Values

• Benefits
  • Facilities
  • Instruction
  • Difficulty
  • Job Assistance

Juliana

Great experience!

The CIEE TEFL course has been a great experience and I'm really satisfied about my time and money invested in it. I took the course because a friend of mine was going to take it and I thought it was a good opportunity to do it as well. I'm glad I made that decision!
This is an intense course and it requires time and commitment from the students, mostly in the first part of it; at the same time it is a really well structured course and designed for the students to organize according to their own schedules.
Definitely it's a door for great experiences and it's really helpful if you want to start a teaching career.

Casey
Maine

Well worth it!

The CIEE TEFL course has proven to be an invaluable experience. At first, I was hesitant because it was my first on-line class, but my tutor did a great job facilitating classroom discussion and was always there to assist my classmates and I through live tutorials and active weekly discussion boards.
The course can be intense and does require a commitment. However, do not let that steer you away! I really enjoyed being able to plan my own schedule and work at my own pace. The flexibility of the course allowed me to complete it alongside a full-time job and I was able to plan around scheduled meetings and vacations. As expected, I walked away from the course with the knowledge to organize and design lesson plans and to communicate with my students. Weekly discussions with my tutor and “pro” tips from previous alums allowed me to walk away with a toolbox filled with all sorts of sample activities and lessons. However, the CIEE TEFL program was so much more than that! It really helped me to develop my cultural awareness and intercultural communication skills.
The TEFL certification is a great thing to have in your back pocket if you are planning on spending time abroad, but it can also give you the tools you need to teach English right from your hometown, whether it be in an on-line classroom, or at a local EFL center. The course material even helped me organize more efficient training tools for my current job! With your CIEE TEFL certification, the possibilities are endless!

Priscilla
Costa Rica

Great course!

This was an excellent course, very beneficial for my teaching career. It was also very well organized and nicely structured; the instructions were always clear. Plus, the tutor and CIEE staff were very helpful.
You should know it is a time consuming course so you need to manage your time very well in order to keep up, but I assure you it is totally worth it.
I highly recommend it. It will help you get a job in multiple countries, for either in-person teaching or online teaching, so you have multiple options to choose from.

Travis
China
University of Central Florida

CIEE review

Overall going through CIEE was a great experience. I really wanted to have someone there for me during the process of applying. They were able to help and keep me on track with all required documents needed and who to send them to. I believe this process people can do on their own, but having a team like CIEE makes it a lot easier! Whenever I had questions or concerns, they would never hesitate to assist or give me the correct information needed. I think going through CIEE was awesome and convenient. If you have any questions for future reference, they will gladly be able to assist you and give you any information you want to know. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Lindsay
Nanjing, China
Drake University

Great guidance and TEFL were EXCELLENT

Because I am far beyond my college years and didn't know where to even begin, CIEE was a tremendous help in guiding me through the process of finding a job and obtaining my TEFL certification. Ally was my little angel providing me with support and answering all my questions in a professional and timely fashion - everything from serious stuff to ridiculously trivial stuff!
The TEFL course was excellent and our instructor was fabulous! It was challenging in that I worked a full-time job so I had to do a bit of juggling but I managed to complete everything. Likewise, it got my brain thinking as a teacher again after being out of education for 12+ years. I will admit that the class could be a bit unrealistic compared to what you are thrown into in "real life" but at least it gives you an excellent foundation. For example, almost all the teaching scenarios in the class were something like - "you have a class of 8 students with intermediate-advanced English skills". In actuality, at least in the teaching placement I am in, I have classes of 45-50 college students with barely any English skills...and I have 12 of those classes, so around 500 students! Needless to say, it is absolutely necessary to be flexible, adaptable, creative, and willing to laugh at yourself and the situation you may find yourself in.
Now that I have been in China for a year, I have been able to secure a new job for next year that pays considerably more than my CIEE placement at a school with amazing facilities. But I am so happy for my current experience because I have learned a ton about myself and what I am capable of when placed in a new and strange environment. CIEE and the TEFL program helped me along the way and I always knew I could reach out to them with questions or concerns should anything arise.

The cost of the program is a bit pricey. While the support and guidance were great, I don't know if it is worth the $$$ now that I have been here. However, at the time, it was the best for me.

Amy
Phoenix, Arizona
Dartmouth College

CIEE TEFL

I had a wonderful experience with CIEE TEFL. I decided to take the course even though my contract to Teach in Thailand (which I also did through CIEE Teach Abroad and would highly recommend to everyone!) didn't require I have a TEFL certification. I loved that the course was online, so I was able to get my certification without stepping into a classroom every week. The course was structured enough to keep me reliable, but allowed enough space that I was able to travel and work and still complete my certification. The instructor (Annette!) was amazing and was always willing to help and answer any questions I had. And the staff at CIEE (Molly, Jeannette and Ally!) were amazing. They are so helpful and I always felt supported while completing the certification.

The lessons were extremely helpful, and I can honestly say that getting my TEFL certification through CIEE was a life saver. Teaching is underrated, and I was so grateful I took the steps to get certified before jumping into teaching abroad. I learned so much about general classroom guidelines, developing relationships across cultural boundaries, supporting different learning styles, and developing and effectively executing constructive and positive lessons for all students and learning types.

I'd recommend this to everyone! Thanks so much CIEE TEFL!

When I took the course, I thought it would be great if they did some kind of TEFL abroad program... and later that year they rolled out one of these programs! They now offer TEFL courses in places like Thailand and Vietnam, which is amazing. They are really on the ball and are always striving to make their program better and more effective.

Gabriela
Tampa, FL

Well worth it!

Overall, I am extremely pleased with CIEE's 150-hour TEFL training course. I decided to take this course the summer before going to teach abroad in Spain, and now that I've just finished I can confidently say that I feel prepared for my job abroad.

The course's interface, Canvas, is extremely user-friendly and makes it easy to view course content, submit graded work and interact with other peers.

Despite the fact that this course is 100% online, it is very holistic in its teaching approaches. Aside from traditional lectures in the form of slide presentations, this course also had audio lectures, discussion boards where you can have great discussions with other people also taking the course, real-life scenario situations and short quizzes along the way to check for understanding. I interacted with the course material, I was not a passive observer. I was asked to give my opinion, to analyze, to create, to rate, to evaluate and more. Best of all, the course has given me a huge list of resources that I have archived in my computer for the future when I need lesson plan ideas, need to refresh my memory on a topic before teaching, and much more.

The course is very demanding, you will spend 10-15 hours a week between doing assignments, intreating on discussion boards and attending class online. It is all worth it!

Dave
Fort Lauderdale, FL
American University

Getting TEFL certified through CIEE

This is a great class to take for anyone interested in a career as an EFL teacher. It was informative, well-organized, and interesting. The course content is a combination of PowerPoint slides, videos, discussion boards, and quizzes. My instructor was helpful and responsive and I enjoyed working with her. The practicum gives you hands on experience working with students who are learning English, and is very rewarding. It is true that I was given a lot of information over the course of ten weeks, and I had to budget your time accordingly. Within 10 weeks we had to complete 130 online class hours, take a short quiz at the end of each module, a weekly written assignment of about 500 words, grade three written assignment of our peers, complete a final written assignment, complete a final exam, and attend a weekly conference with our instructor (we're given an extra month to complete the 20 hour practicum). But being an online course allowed me to work at my convenience, and it was never overwhelming.

Bottom line, CIEE offers a great online education program for anyone who's serious about TEFL, and provides great resources for future job applicants.

Catherine
Falmouth, ME
University of Maine- Orono (main campus)

I Chose The Right Course

I started this 150-hour course scared and nervous because I hadn't taken a class since I graduated college in 2014. I didn't know what to expect, how much work their really was, or if I'd be able to complete my practicum! But here I am, on the other side of this course, feeling a whole lot better about teaching English abroad than before. I was able to complete my practicum, even though I was terrified of messing up in front of my students. I even learned grammar, which was something that was never taught to me in school. This course not only made me feel more comfortable as a teacher, but it also helped me with my writing.

It's perfect.

Molly
Cumberland, Maine

Worth all the time and effort!

There is a lot to be learned in CIEE TEFL's course, but it's worth it if you're serious about pursuing a career in teaching English to nonnative speakers. You do need to be very motivated and organized to do well, but I knew that going into an online course. This is NOT a certification class you can take just to receive a piece of paper. The tutors and staff really want you to understand the material and be proud of your work (and there will be a lot of it!). The expectations are high from the get-go, so it's important to hit the ground running.

Small classes, weekly tutorials, discussion boards, and clear learning outcomes are some of the highlights in this course. The online platform is also really easy to use. The 20-hour practice teaching component, in particular, really cements the theory and strategies you're shown in class. I would recommend this course to anyone who is planning on teaching English abroad, or even anyone looking to advance in the field.

Colin
South Korea
Hope College

Good Course!

I believe that this course was quite helpful. It was a very long course but that also meant that it was all inclusive. My teacher was very good. She always left great comments and was there if we had questions or needed advice. I found some of the material to be very helpful and some of it not so much. The school that I am teaching at is very book focused so it is difficult to use any creativity. However, the course did help with just relating to the kids in general.

Caden
Madrid, Spain
University of Minnesota

Useful, but expensive

Overall, the 150 hour TEFL course was moderately helpful in learning new strategies for teaching English. The best assignments were related to direct application of strategies and techniques whereas the least helpful assignments/lecture had to do with a philosophical exploration of teaching, learning, and cross-culturalism. The course was unduly expensive and requires a lot of time. Now, while abroad I find myself using some techniques and finding even more inapplicable. But, I am glad I took the course, at least to feel better equipped.

COST!

Gregg
Minneapolis, MN
Hamline University

Thailand is Great!

Teaching in Thailand is a wonderful opportunity for personal growth and enlightenment! Every day is a grand adventure with the students, faculty and community members. Living in a "compound" with other English teachers from the United States adds so much to the adventure. This gives all of the members an opportunity to have a support system during the school day and outside of the school day as well. Members of the "compound" get to travel together on the weekends and have a built in "family" for holidays and other special events. One year being twelve zones away from home couldn't possibly be better than being in Thailand. Everyone would love to have this marvelous experience of teaching in Thailand!

Kelsey
Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin- Madison

It is what you make of it

A bit of background on myself: I am a 23-year-old graduate of UW-Madison and I took the 150 hour CIEE TEFL course in preparation for my CIEE Teach Abroad Program in Chile. I have had quite a few hours of classroom facilitation but no experience teaching English, though I am well versed in the language.
The cons: An online course of how to run a classroom, in my mind, seems bound to fail, so perhaps this review is unfair. What I mostly gained from the coursework was what to specifically google the things I need to know as a future teacher. Exams were super easy to skate through, and I didn't really have to read all of the slides to do well on the tests. I wish the course would have focused more on lesson planning and less on how to adapt to a new culture and educational theories that I will probably rarely consider day-to-day. I also hated the pseudo class discussions online where posting is mandatory and you have to reflect on classmates' comments. Certain types of media were really difficult to upload and I had some technical issues.
The pros: The course has a mostly-intuitive layout. It provides you with a ton of resources at the end of every module which was one of the few things I knew I would return to. I did gain a better understanding of how to plan lessons which is key. Classroom videos and critiques of live teachers did help, but those only came near the end of the course. My tutor was awesome and easy to get a hold of. I also really enjoyed the practicum component of the course.

Less personal reflection/discussion online and more videos of live classrooms/activities.

Celena
Elk Grove, CA
San Francisco State University

CIEE is legit.

After a reasonable fee of $1000, and 11 weeks of power points, discussion posts, quizzes, and useful weekly assignments (including the production of lesson plans for the future), you gain access to the world! I am now eligible to teach in South Korea, and I feel well-equipped to do so! A lot of valuable information is given in this course, and whatever is not explicitly written you can find on your own using the provided links to legitimate educational resources.

You do have to find an institution and/or people to tutor for Practicum hours on your own, but CIEE provides advice and a tutor--a real person to communicate with via video calling. CIEE also provided me with a letter as proof of enrollment during my application process for teaching abroad. All you have to do is email these people and they'll get right back to you.

The tech stuff is easy to figure out if you've been around computers, the coursework isn't at all over the head of anyone who has successfully done at least some college units, and if you're a slow reader, I'd carve 20 hours per week out of your schedule to complete the work. Through CIEE, it's not at all a grueling process to earn your TEFL certificate. :)

The Power Points can seem long, but if you find yourself zoning out, you can skip ahead to the review portion or to the unit summary and obtain the essential information.

Jacqueline
Gwangju, South Korea
University of Vermont

Leason Planning

The lesson planning portion of the course was really helpful! It enables me to discover all the option I have for creating fun and effective lessons. Now that I'm teaching, I am avle to use the resources I practiced in my TEFL course!

The course was eatimated at 12-15 hours a week but I often needed mire time than that. I would advertise it as 15-18 hours.

John
Phrae, Thailand
Macalester College

CIEE TEFL: My Bridge From Topeka to Thailand

During this 10 week TEFL course I developed my awareness of the field and practices of TEFL and gained a deeper understanding of the components of the English language applicable to teaching EFL. I’ve also developed appropriate lesson plans for a variety of learners to aid both their receptive and productive skills and their use of English. This course has given me the confidence to step into my classroom in Thailand. The practicum gave me first-hand experience with teaching so I could better understand what was to come.

Now I'm in Thailand teaching English to 6th grade students and I use the skills I learned from my course every day. I have an awareness of how to build my lessons in a way that brings the learners along with me to eventually create projects using the English skills I taught them. I know many games and have access to many resources to keep English learning exciting. I'm able to blend together my new learnings from the teachers here in Thailand with my understanding of TEFL theory I learned in the course. Currently, I am having a nostalgically joyous time teaching Christmas to the children in my classrooms.

The CIEE TEFL program really helped me become a successful teacher equipping me with the skills and confidence to kickstart teaching English to Thai students. I would recommend the CIEE TEFL course to anyone who is going to teach overseas.

This might be specific to when I took the course, but there were a couple of issues that arose when I went through the program. First, our main contact, the coordinator of the program, was promoted to a different position in the company and we were given a new coordinator just two weeks in. That transition was a bit difficult because some of the students in the course had asked questions to the first that went unanswered for quite awhile. Secondly, our tutor became very ill week three and decided she was unable to continue with us. We received a new tutor who was not briefed on what we had accomplished so far or what questions had been asked and answered. Things were a little redundant for a week or two, but overall I welcomed the new tutor.

We also had our mandatory tutoring sessions once a week at 5:00 eastern so 4:00 central for me. I thought this was difficult to make many times because I worked a day job and had to request off for this. Maybe having a few different times to choose from would have made it easier to attend these sessions.

Brittany
Austin, Texas
Stephen F. Austin State University

Good Course

The 150 hour TEFL course sounds like it would be a lot of work, but you learn so much from it. The weekly discussions with the tutor were fun and it was nice to get feedback throughout the course. Overall, I would definitely recommend the course to anyone thinking of taking it.

There were a few tech problems, but it wasn't much to worry about.

Emily
Zamora, Spain
University of Tampa

Great if you want to be on your own schedule--a lot of work too!

This was my first experience with an online course. An online course wasn't my first choice but it fit my timeline and schedule much better than taking a class in person. I was able to do most assignments on my own schedule and own time. However, it was much more work than I anticipated. Luckily, it was during the summer and I only had a part time job because if I had a full time job I am not sure that I would have effectively gotten the most knowledge out of the course. The tutor was wonderful and helped talk me through my decision to teach abroad in Spain. We also still keep in contact occasionally and she's still willing to give me ideas and assistance about TEFL!

Make sure it's clear to the class participants how much work the class really is!

Gretchen
Indianapolis, IN
Anderson University

Comprehensive and Enriching

I learned so much from CIEE TEFL. The material was easy to understand, but also valuable information to learn from. Our instructor welcomed any questions we had and made our online group sessions valuable and engaging. The projects and tests were productive. If you put in the time and effort, you saw the results of this. I highly recommend CIEE TEFL.

I would have liked to have a one on one video time with my instructor. It may have been helpful when reflecting on my work I turned in or any questions I had that I didn't feel comfortable address in the online webinar group meetings.

David
Ulsan, South Korea
Georgetown University

Good Course, could be better

The course was fine. It covered a lot of material that has been useful in my first weeks teaching in Korea. I will definitely refer back to the downloadable units and the many links. The practicum element was great too; I learned many things from the teacher I observed. I would recommend to anyone looking for a solid online program.

It is too easy. The resources are good, especially the "Find out more" sections at the end of each unit. I feel there could have been a bit more content in the course itself. I did like the recorded examples, but I did not like the cartoon tutors in the lectures.

Emily
Napa, California
University of Oregon

Learning to teach

I was hesitant at first to take the TEFL certification course through CIEE. I already had a teaching position and the course was not necessary for the job. I decided that it was still a good opportunity and took the class. I am glad that I took the course. It was a good refresher of some methods that I had learned at the university. It was a great opportunity to begin collaborating with other students and create lesson plans and activities that could be implemented into the classroom.

The course was great. I liked the vides incorporated into the course. I did have issues with one of the paperwork and administrative side. I had to pay 14 dollars to pick up my certificate at the post office because they sent it priority mail and didn't put enough postage on it. When I e-mailed about the issue. No one responded.

Claire
Madrid, Spain
Indiana University- Bloomington

Video Recordings

I usually feel pretty uncomfortable in front of a camera so having to record myself giving a 7 minute class to invisible students was a nightmare. I probably worked on in for a few hours because I kept making mistakes or laughing. In the end I just started having made up conversations with the students. I'm sure it was pretty painful to watch and I'm thankful only the teacher could see it.

I think there were some computer issues. If I completed an online text that was short fill in the blanks and I missed a hyphen I would get the question wrong and have to do the whole exam again. That got kind of annoying.

Sarah
Phuket, Thailand
Texas A&M University

Helpful in preparing me for overseas

The CIEE Certification Course was super helpful in helping me understand what I was going to be getting myself into when working abroad. I had never taught in a classroom setting before, so the course gave me a lot of insight in how to prepare for classes and create lesson plans. It also gave me different ideas for activities I could do in the classroom to make a more interactive approach to teaching. The course was a little expensive for me. I feel that I could have done a similar course for less.

The program could have been improved by making it more affordable to people or offering some sort of scholarship/waivers.

Megan
Buffalo, NY
State University of New York- Brockport

Great Course, Helpful Team

I enjoyed the CIEE TEFL Course. They were very helpful during the course and afterwards when I was applying for a job overseas. The course was very informative, especially since I do not have an education background. It provided many ideas for teaching your own class and also provided links to many additional resources online for EFL.

The certification course and teach abroad programs are a bit pricey. In comparison to other programs, it may be rather affordable, I'm not sure. The price tag is just intimidating.

Bianca
Seoul, South Korea
California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo

20 hour hands on teaching

Doing the 20 hrs hands on teaching was one of the most touching experiences I ever had. I was lucky enough to do my 20 hr teaching during my summer internship at work. My company was so thoughtful in providing an English class to its workers that didn't speak English at all They were all adults and I felt intimidated at first, but in the end it was so inspiring to see them try so hard to learn.

The program is a good challenge but it is very time consuming.

Whitney
San Jose, California

Great TEFL Course!

The curriculum was very organized and easy to understand. I thought they did a good job of keeping the program interactive even though it was done through an online platform. After completing the course, CIEE has been very consistent in sending opportunities to teach and use my certificate and has offered continuous support.

Na

Rita
Shanghai China
Providence College

Tefl in China

I am so grateful for ciee 150 hr tefl course. It prepared me for one of the most amazing experiences in my life. Teaching EFL in China has helped me grow professionally and personally. My daily environment living and working in Asia is a constant challenge that a look forward to everyday. When I enter the classroom my students make it all worth it! Without CIEEs TEFL course I would not have the foundation to be an affective teacher. I came to China well prepared and ready to teach English!

Matthew
Oswego, IL
Northern Illinois University

helpful course for getting a head start

The TEFL-course is well designed and uses a platform that is very user friendly. It also connects you with other people wanting to teach abroad, and in that way is a useful networking resource and support forum. I highly recommend this comprehensive course if online certification is what you are looking for.

If I could change one thing, I would probably make video conferencing mandatory, at least once or twice to get to know the other faces in the classroom and connect with instructors.

Hyun
San Rafael, California
San Francisco State University

Tefl 150 Hr Course

CIEE provided me with an engaging course that kept me on my toes! Our tutor Niamh was absolutely terrific. She was supportive throughout the course and gave feedback immediately. Between juggling other courses she has teaching nailed down. It was a great intro to what you'll be doing out in the field.

Some typos in the lesson slides. Weekly tutorial could be a little more rigorous or more time for Q & A.

Trevor
Salt Lake City, Ut
University of Utah

A hassle-free way to travel the world

Having spent the last four years in pursuit of a degree in Spanish and Latin American studies, I was ready to start travelling the world and visiting the places I had been studying about. The problem is, everyone wants to travel the world or live abroad, but very few have the finances to pick up and leave whenever they want. I started out by searching for jobs in various countries in South America. Finally, I came across CiEE. I began investigating the teaching programs at technical colleges throughout Chile. It was just what I was looking for! As an instructor, I would have a stipend that would allow me to stay for an extended period (10 months) while still able to travel around a bit with money I had saved up. Their 150 hour course seemed daunting at first, but the staff wasted no time in reaching out to me and making sure I had access to all of the resources necessary to successfully complete the course. After finishing the online portion, I found an opportunity to observe ESL classes at my university as part of the 20 hour capstone practicum. I was able to pass "with distinction" and I'm now just weeks away from travelling to Chile where I'm sure I'll have the time of my life!

It is definitely a high-content program. While the staff is more than happy to help out in anyway, you'll want to make sure you can set aside 10-15 hours a week in order to fully take advantage of the program.

Erica
Boston, Massachusetts
Stonehill College

Worth the Effort

The CIEE 150-Hour Certification Course is worth the effort and time that it takes to complete. If you are looking for a good course, or a good company that you can trust to get you where you want to be, this is exactly the course for you.
I took the course after I returned from abroad in order to have a physical certificate, and while there was a break down in communication during a change in staff and I was never sent my certificate, I would still recommend the course and the company. I have used the company three times now, and I've yet to be wholly disappointed with anything.

I would suggest that they try to make sure that the certificates are received by students. The course itself was great.

CIEE: Council on International Educational Exchange – world leader in international education and exchange – is a nonprofit, nongovernmental organization. For more than 67 years, CIEE has helped thousands of people gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world.

At CIEE TEFL, we believe that English teachers are part of humanizing international relations, and the purpose of teaching English abroad is to facilitate intercultural exchange in the classroom, and provide opportunities for students in a globalized world.