150-Hour TEFL Certification

Our flagship, 150-hour TEFL certification course provides you with 130 hours of online coursework spread over 11 weeks with support from a personal tutor and small class sizes. In addition, you’ll put into action everything you’ve learned with your 20-hour independent practicum.

Is a 150-hour course more than you planned for? Our 60-hour online introductory TEFL course might be the best fit for you. Worried about practicum? We offer two-week opportunities in various countries where you can get a taste for teaching abroad and complete your practicum under a structured environment. Already know what age group you want to teach - we’ve got a course for that too! Our 30-hour age specialization course will prepare you for young learners, teens, or adults.

To be eligible for one of our courses, you'll need to be a fluent English speaker and at least 18+ years of age.

• 130 hours of online course work with 20-hour practicum component
  • Gain cross-cultural literacy (the relationship between culture and language)
  • Develop a deeper understanding of the English language (English metacognition)
  • Access to CIEE TEFL's Complete Comprehensive Job Assistance Guide
  • Discounted tuition for supplemental CIEE TEFL courses to further professional development

Great question! CIEE TEFL does not require a college degree to get certified so all of our programs would be a great fit. If you're looking for teaching placements without a degree, it varies by country. CIEE TEFL offers a teaching opportunity in Murcia, Spain where only a high school degree is required.

Hi Victor! Yes - as Joanna said, you are expected to find your own practicum in your area. I found it intimidating at first but it is actually a great way to prep you for the job hunt that is ahead of you. CIEE's list is a good starting point but don't limit yourself to it, I am sure you will find plenty of schools, non-profits that work with immigrants, churches, etc. in your area that will be...

Mostly yes. There is a weekly online meeting with your teacher, and you can select from a variety of appropriate times. Also, they want you to keep pace with the class, so that you'll do roughly one module per week. There is also a final date when the practicum is due. However you can do the course at your convenience, and whenever you have available time.

• 9-10 rating 71.67%
  • Content 9.5
  • Engagement 9
  • Platform 9
Gergana

I highly recommend this course

I am very glad I took the CIEE Certification course and I highly recommend it. I didn’t have any prior experience as a teacher before I took the course, but my amazing instructor guided me through the learning process and was always there for me. She helped me understand the different aspects of teaching and the importance of my students’ cultural and personal differences. I liked that the course is structured in a way that allows the students to finish their assignments on their own time. I was able to balance my full-time job and the online classes.

Ammon

Lot’s of content, but very helpful staff!

The course does have a lot of reading and content to cover, however it’s very doable. Each unit and module have a VERY well summarized page at the end. My tutor is with us for the whole course, and genuinely cares about my progress. I’m having a lot of fun doing the course, and I’m very excited to take this knowledge through the rest of my life! What is nice about the TEFL certification is that it lasts you for life, so you don’t have to feel pressured to go out right after you finish the class.

Addie

Great Program!

I would recommend this program to anyone! It is a lot of work, but it is definitely worth the time and is pretty interesting. Everything you learn is necessary for teaching, and you are constantly engaged with others through conversations between you, your classmates, and the teacher. I also like that it requires the practicum to have you experience life in the classroom. This course really prepares you for teaching abroad, and I am so glad I took it. I will feel more at ease now when teaching, knowing the things I do.

Ariana

Worth it

The class is definitely worth the price. The online platform is easy to navigate and very straightforward. The class is very engaging, so be prepared! This class will require a lot of work, but you will learn a lot. There are plenty of additional sources given to you that you may save for future use, and the class really pushes you to interact with your classmates. The weekly live tutorials are optional but VERY helpful. You can get out of this course what you put into it, so make sure to put in the extra effort.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I did not expect the class to be as demanding as it is, but none of the assignments feel as if they are just busy work. There is a lot of work to complete, but there is a reason behind every assignment.
Darcey

TEFL Review

This course offers a ton of great information that is challenging and growing. Make sure you have a few hours a day to spend on this because that is how you will get the most out of the program. If you have the time, I would recommend it in a heartbeat. I had no previous teaching experience so I have been consistently learning and believe that it can benefit me in any type of classroom teaching experience. I love how it goes beyond teaching and includes culture, history, and grammar (which we never learn in school anyway). It is truly an amazing experience!

Stephany

My Overall Experience

I took this TEFL certification through CIEE to go with my teach abroad program in South Korea, Spring 2020. At first, I really thought the course was a little overwhelming, it did seem like there was always so much to do and working full-time did leave me a little nervous. Fortunately, you develop a routine with this course incredibly quick and the tutors are always understanding and supportive. Before you realise it, you've already completed the course and you're closer to your next destination!

Useful info for MGAs are always in the next module!
Joel

Truly a helpful and intuitive course

The beginning of the course was easy and light to get you settled in the first week. They help you will the function of the website and process you will go through. I had an excellent class who were involved in the chats. I would say the hardest part was to remember to go back into the discussion board and do a follow up on the you classmates comments. If you truly want to get help with teaching ESL this course will help you with all of the basics and has a great community to assist you. I wish you all the best and Join CIEE.

Brush up on objectives of a lesson before taking the course.
Grant

Very nice program. A little expensive.

I thought that it was an excellent program, especially for those that have no teaching experience. This program helped me to create lesson plans, and introduced me to some problems that I could face as a future ESL teacher. I think that this program allowed me to learn more about myself, and what kind of methods that I gravitate towards. It also taught me what some of my weaknesses are and how to improve them. As a beginner ESL teacher, I found thus very useful, and it set me on the right track for my ESL career.

I would have liked more lessons on grammar, i thought that this covered a lot of basics but I would like more help on specific, common grammar issues that people face.