By Reach to Teach   Reviews (13)   95% Rating

Reach to Teach - Teaching Jobs in China

By Reach to Teach   Reviews (13)   95% Rating

Reach to Teach has positions with English language learners of every age. You may teach Kindergarten classes to children aged 4-6 years or you may teach business English classes to professionals. All positions are in great schools with a tailored curriculum and western management. We work with great schools in cities ranging from Shanghai to Beijing, and Shenzhen to Tianjin. Reach to Teach teachers receive continuous support throughout their contracts. Our China team is eager to help you set out on your next teaching adventure!

Asia › China › Shanghai
1 Year+
Salary / Benefits
Your salary depends on your experience, qualifications and teaching location.
Harbin

In China you have to be at least 22, if the company you are working for is following the laws. My co-workers were mostly between 24-28. There were a few teachers in their 30s, most of those teachers h...
It depends on the school and the package that is being offered. Most are a reimbursement though, not an upfront paid ticket.
Technically no -- you could find work under the table without any teaching degree or TEFL certificate in China. However, in order to legally qualify for a work visa in China, it's in your best benefit...
I want to start teaching, what do I do?
will i be given some sort course curriculum to follow to make it easier to teach

Rating Values

• Benefits
  • Facilities

S.
Charlotte, North Carolina
University of North Carolina- Charlotte

Stress Relievers

Overall 10

I loved my experience teaching English for the past 3 years in the Republic of Georgia and wanted to continue traveling to other parts of the world. After successfully completing the S. Korean application program, events occurred that abruptly ejected me from participating in that program. I was shocked and depressed about it and anxious about my near future plans of continuing to teach overseas.

But Carrie and John of Reach to Teach were not only extremely professional, but also extremely supportive in helping me find an alternate opportunity in China.

In thinking back over the entire process of applying for S. Korea and China, I now see how attentive and nurturing they were through both processes. Applying for foreign employment is not easy to navigate sometimes (even more so with Asian countries). S. Korea particularly is a gauntlet of hurdles and hoops with zero room for error. With that said, their knowledge, contacts, and experience were that much more useful in making a stressful experience, manageable and less stressful.

I don't know much about other agencies in this field, but I would highly recommend these guys for really knowing and caring about what they do.

Christopher
Brisbane
Queensland University of Technology

Considerate agency

Overall 10

The first thing that comes to mind with regards to Reach To Teach is the concern they show for the well being of applicants. From the get go I always felt the importance Reach To Teach places on matching the right person to the right position! Next week I leave for Guangzhou to work at Wall Street English. Reach To Teach made it easy.

Steve
China
University of Missouri- Columbia

Nothing but a Positve Experience.

Overall 10

This review is being written half way through my first year teaching in China - so it does lack a perspective that compares RTT with other avenues to one might take to find a teaching position here. That being said, I feel not only satisfied, but very fortunate that I chose to work with them.

Every step of the way I found the staff (I interacted with Rick Goodman primarily), to be friendly, prompt with replies, willing to take time to address any and all questions, and honest with their answers. I have also found that I could rely on RTT to continue to assist me with these very same qualities after my contract had been signed and I was living in China. When I try to think of something to relate that perhaps could have been better with my experience with them, I find I am just staring at the screen blankly - which is honestly a very refreshing surprise!

As I plan on continuing to teach in China I am highly likely to continue to think of RTT first, and would recommend them without hesitation.

I really tried to think of some something critical to offer - but could think of nothing outside of the absurd (ummm.....free cupcakes on Tuesdays???)

RTT has honestly meet any and every expectation I think one could reasonably have - at least from a first-timers perspective.

Chad
Anji, China
Oregon State University

Why Reach to Teach

Overall 10

In my experience with Reach to Teach I found the most beneficial aspect of the program to be its support. From the moment you are accepted until the moment you leave your recruiter is there to support you. Often there are logistical complications due to miscomunications. Having Reach to Teach there to help with any issues adds extra security and eleviates much of the stress when teaching overseas. This allows you to focus on your job as a teacher rather than the politics of teaching overseas.

It would be great if you didn't force people to gender identify on the review. If this is a must, than including transgender or other gender options would be great.

HighlandGirl
Jilin City, China
University of Abertay Dundee

Exactly as Advertised

Overall 10

Finding a job in China through Reach to Teach was effortless. After completing the application form and questions on their website, Carrie took care of everything else. Finding out exactly what type of person I was and what my expectations were for the year abroad. Then she found me a position that suited me perfectly, putting me in contact with the school's management but also taking time to take me through the expected duties as well as giving me lots of information and resources about the city and area I'd be moving to.

The experience so far has been more that I ever thought it would be. The staff at the school are incredibly supportive and helpful, if there is anything at all I don't understand or am unsure of, they are there in an instant. Whether it be teaching related, or opening a Chinese bank account or if I simply don't understand a note that has been pinned to my apartment door. The accommodations are exactly what was advertised on the school's website as are the benefits.

I would recommend the Reach to Teach company to anyone.

For me, the whole experience was painless and hassle free. I can't think of anything that I would change.

Claire
Taizhou, Zhejiang, China
Seton Hall University

Very helpful, great personal attention

Overall 9

I was in brief contact with multiple recruiters while hunting for a job in Asia; Reach to Teach was by far the best. Rick, my contact, was always available for questions and gave straightforward info.

No complaints about Reach to Teach! Get ready to be very patient when applying for a Chinese work visa, though--that was a pretty long process.

Ian
Nanjing, China
University of Guelph

Nanjing

Overall 10

Nanjing is such a beautiful city! There is so much to do here and the type of job that I have makes it very easy to get out and take in the city sights. It's been great being able to check out a 15th century pagoda in the morning and then taking the short subway ride back to work to then teach the cutest children ever!

The only difficulty is that a lot of the foreign events happen during my work hours, so a change of housing location might be in order for next year to help remedy that issue.

More locations and more company options. From my discussions with other individuals who have been hired through Reach to Teach there seemed to be a lack of diversity in where they were being directed. In my experience, I was only offered two companies to work with. While it was nice to have a smaller selection, it would have been an additional benefit to know what my options were geographically and financially (i.e. having two or three companies that teach junior and senior children but differ in terms of where they operate in Shanghai/Nanjing and what the difference in salary is).

Provider Response

Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate it. Placing teachers in China is a bit more complicated than other countries-we have to look at teacher qualification and current openings and weigh that with what the local government requires for a work permit. In the end, we send teachers every offer that they are qualified for AND can get a visa for, which sometimes limits options. Rest assured, we will send you information on every job you can get.

JScott
Wuxi China
Northern Illinois University

My Time in Wuxi China

Overall 10

I am a teacher in Wuxi China. As a woman I feel very safe. Living here and working here is like have about 15 big brothers. My office is prominently male, and whenever I go out I feel like I am flanked like the president. Living and working in China has been great. My landlord is excellent and works well with me, because random things break all the time. My neighbors are nice too, even though we don't understand each other. I gave him the number to our foreign service officer in case I have ever had problems, and he called him once, when my key snapped in my door at 5 am and he came right out to help me. I have made some great new friends and it feels like a family here. Sure the buracracy can be a little awkward, but all in all I have enjoyed my time here so far and I think I may stay here longer.

I would be nice if there were more women in my office, but that wouldn't be the program's fault.

Anji_Teacher
Anji, Zhejiang, China
Griffith College Limerick

Reach to Teach vs. School

Overall 8

My review must be taken as a dual review of the program (Reach to Teach) and the school (Anji Shangshu Private High School). Reach to Teach and their staff were and have been nothing but helpful during the process of applying for the job and getting over here. They are in no way related to the conditions of my every day life here in Anji.

As far as the school is concerned, I'm really incredibly disappointed: the school has provided no help in the way of determining student level and required materials; finding and procuring teaching materials; developing a syllabus; enforcing student discipline, etc... In fact, I asked what methods for disciplining students there are and was told that there are none: this even extends to the point of other teachers having told me about students attempting to physically assault them last year! (an offense for which there is no punishment: the students are kept at the school to keep their parents' money flowing in. Additionally, the students are incredibly unmotivated, poorly behaved and disrespectful, including such behaviour as talking over the teacher at normal, conversational volume during class and unplugging the teacher's aids (e.g. dvd player) to plug in and charge their cellphones. After just 2 months of trying to teach them, I've really reached the end of my rope.

In short: my reviews are as follows: Reach to Teach: 9 out of 10, Anji Shangshu Private High School: 2 out of 10

See above

LalaTasmania
Shanghai, China

Reach to Teach and Kid Castle

Overall 10

For anyone interested in moving abroad, I highly recommend Reach to Teach. I have worked with other recruiting agencies in the past, and from my experience, Reach to Teach has offered me the most assistance. I mostly worked with the China Recruitment Department, and was very impressed with the updates and callbacks post-interview. Reach to Teach matched me with the best job through Kid Castle. Kid Castle is an after school academy that relies on the Total Physical Response teaching method. I find this school a very effective program for teaching English, and am so happy with my job situation. From both sides, Reach to Teach and Kid Castle made a great effort to help me, up until I arrived in China. If I had questions, I continued to ask both sides for answers, and both provided the best solutions. I have heard stories of people never hearing from their recruiters after they take a job offer, but I never experienced this with Reach to Teach. I felt they were honest, listened to what I wanted in a job (rather than trying to fill the next available spot in any school), and gave immediate response to e-mails. I know that anyone going through Reach to Teach will find what they need.

esther.reille
Hangzhou, China
King College

Reach to Teach Service Review

Overall 10

My experience in China has been unforgettable. There were times throughout my time here that I wanted to pack my bags and run back home. Then one of my students would speak a perfect sentence to me in English and the world became right again.

What can I say about China. The food was delicious and sometimes questionable. All in all, every bite was an experience waiting to happen. I remember once a month taking a trip to the bank and how a 20 minute transaction always ran for an hour and a half.

Walking out of my apartment, I can hear my neighbor gasping at the sight of me, hauling in a long breath and letting out a piercing scream...after the second time, it wasn't funny anymore. However, she taught me to be aware that I was different, an as an African-American, whenever I stepped out of my apartment, I was a lesson to be learned for some people.

I enjoyed my time here immensely. I made life-long friends and will leave with the satisfaction that I had somehow touched someone's life clear across this vast world.

joela416
Cincinnati, OH

Reach to Teach...in Taiwan

Overall 6

Reach to Teach did a great job during recruitment, and really made us feel comfortable about picking up and moving to China. They did pick a great location based on the preferences we had communicated. However, we did end up in a very isolated location, at a school that basically left us to our own devices and offered very little support. We didn't rely on Reach to Teach as much as we should have, but it seemed that their presence was really much greater in Taiwan. All the Reach to Teach events happened in Taiwan, which, at least as of '08-'09, wasn't the easiest place to get to from the mainland. Anyway, I think Reach to Teach as an organization was great, but our experience was tainted by our (naive) preconceived notions of what we thought we would like (small town, away from big cities and pollution). And while that would have been great for someone who knew a bit of mandarin and enjoys isolation, we knew no mandorin, and there was really nobody around who spoke English, thus, no social life whatsoever. It was also very difficult to leave our town for the nearest city with any kind of expat presence. I would definitely recommend Reach to Teach, especially if you have interest in Taiwan, but otherwise, stick to the big cities (we loved Hangzhou, and visited as often as possible).

Alida
Johannesburg South Africa

My Taiwan experience

Overall 10

I taught in Taiwan for just over a year after I graduated. It was an amazing experience that I would not change for anything! Taiwan is a great country with friendly people and is great to live in. It is so easy to travel around the island and to other countries.

RTT ( Mitch Gordon) was very helpful in accommodating our needs.My husband and I both needed a job and had lots of requests ;-) But RTT made it happen and placed us at a school (Uncle Sam American School) in Sanxia, just outside Taipei. RTT was very efficient and before we knew it we were on a plane. RTT also helps you to meet other people by hosting social events and we have made lifelong friends over there.

We had about 7 foreign teachers at our school.I taught the little ones ( 2-3 year)and just LOVED it. It is great to see them grow and learn. It is not always easy, but you learn how to deal with the issues and our Chinese teachers were very helpful. After kinder garden we taught the elementary school kids. This was a bit more challenging because I did not study to be a teacher and you need to know how to handle some kids, but like I said you learn quickly and there are lots of ways to get nice tips;-) For me it was important to keep it highly energized, the kids love to learn via games. You get training for the first week or two and then you are on your own with lesson plans and the actual teaching, but luckily you always have a Chinese teacher in the class to help you out.

Living in Taiwan is a great experience. You can earn a lot and the living costs are really not high.

I would recommend teaching in Taiwan and using RTT to anyone.

Enjoy

Alida

As any ESL Teacher can tell you, finding a good teaching job abroad can be difficult. Similarly, a lot of ESL schools feel that finding a good teacher is equally difficult. This is where we at Reach To Teach come in. Our motto is matching great teachers with great schools.

There are a lot of ESL jobs available abroad, however it can be difficult to find one which matches your wants and needs. Reach To Teach is here to help. We carefully screen all our schools to ensure our teachers know as much as possible about their school and the contract they will be signing. You can feel comfortable and confident moving overseas knowing what your job will be like. Best of all, our services are 100% free!