Teach English in Italy and Austria Summer 2018

Teach English in wonderful cities throughout Italy and Austria during Summer 2018. It's the perfect summer job for students, especially in the education field and who want to enhance their teaching experience. The English Camp Company, L.L.C. organizes English Summer Camps in Italy and Austria for 7-14 year olds. We offer an enjoyable, interactive atmosphere where children can use everyday English and improve their knowledge of the English language in a fun, relaxed summer camp environment.

Hi, thanks for stopping by! To be eligible to teach for this program you must be a Native English speaker. For additional eligibility questions we recommend reaching out to the program provider directly, which you can do here: http://www.theenglishcampcompany.com/contact.html .
You can find the application form and requirements on this page on our website:
There is no upper age limit. Applicants just have to be over 18 to apply.
Please contact the ECC directly for this information.

• Benefits 9.5
  • Facilities 9.9
Andrew

The best summer of my life

I have to start by saying that Nate and Ash Poerio are without a doubt two of the nicest people I've ever met. Having not known them at all before this experience, they were not only amazing bosses but vital resources and great friends. I entirely expect to visit and catch up with them in the future. They are genuinely good people and do whatever they can to help. Since I was a director at three camps and a tutor at one, I was able to see how hard they work to ensure the summer goes smoothly for tutors, directors, host families, and of course, campers. I can only describe the work they do with the most positive superlatives.

Every single one of my host families was sweet as could be, adorable, and did anything and everything within their power to ensure I was having the best time. Of the four I stayed with, I keep in frequent contact with three of them, and message one of them at least once a week. I even plan on visiting them in the winter. The only unfortunate part of being in a host family is having to leave them, which I promise is a much harder thing to do than you can imagine. I really felt like I was part of the family after my time with each one.

While I had no idea what I was getting into this summer, I never thought it would be as all-around great as it was. I got to fall back in love with a country I adore and its people then explore one I don't know nearly as well from a local perspective, all the while teaching adorable kids and making sure they had a great summer. I don't know that there is a better job in the world.

Do not hesitate to reach out to me on Facebook (Andrew Boas) to hear more or ask questions about this truly incredible experience.

If anything, I think the only way to improve your summer on this program is to make sure you really take advantage of all the possibilities and fun activities your host family presents. Never decline to do something if you're tired or just uninterested, I promise it's far more rewarding to participate!
Rachel

Life changing experience!

What an incredible opportunity! I have made so many connections and relationships with people from all over the world. I am so grateful to have worked with so many like-minded, fun loving tutors. And on top of meeting my incredible coworkers, the experience of living with host families was life changing. I'm so happy to say that I have made life long friends and "family". Only a few weeks have passed since camp ended, but I'm still in constant contact with my families! Having very little teaching experience before this was not an issue. I was able to work with the youngest and the oldest kids who brought forth lots of energy, eagerness and excitement. Many thanks to Nate and Ashleigh who were beyond helpful the whole time!
As I saw in a review below, you get what you give. Please give this job your all and show your families, kids, and tutors respect. If you do so, you're going to LOVE this job!

Julia

FUN SUMMER

I loved this experience because I love adventure, kids, and meeting new people! I am a kid at heart so being a camp counselor is perfect for me to let out my goofy side. Orientation was great getting to know all the other tutors and well prepared me for camp. The host families were all amazing! They took me to different festivals, dinners, and towns! I really felt at home with my host family and loved getting to learn their life story and be a role model for the kids. Camp was crazy and fun!! I had the 6 year olds and they were all hugging me from the second they learned I was their teacher. Nate and Ashleigh were super kind and easy talk to you. If you have an open mind, easy going spirit, child-like heart, and are ready to take on a new culture, work hard, and travel around Italy- this experience is for you!! You get out what you put in! :)

I loved how the program was run!
Julissa

Best Summer with the ECC

If you are looking for the best summer traveling all over Italy and Austria then this is the just the thing for you! You get to meet people from all over the world, and create friendships that will truly last forever. Everyone is so kind, and caring towards one another. This is an experience of a lifetime that people need to take advantage of. You get to see all these little towns that you normally wouldn't see, and really get to emerge yourself in the culture by living with a host family. Camps are such a great time because the kids love it, and it simply doesn't feel like a job with all the fun you have all day!! It's also an amazing feeling to teach these kids another language with fun activities you plan out for them! If you are looking to get out of your comfort zone, and travel around to the coolest places then this is the perfect thing to do!!! I will never forget my AMAZING experience with the ECC!!!

Stephen

The English Camp Company is Awesome!

Nate and Ashley (the owners of the company) are great! They were very helpful both in training the tutors and afterwards once we were sent to our different camp locations. The host families were so hospitable. I still talk to them on a regular basis and am so happy to have made a few Italian friends along the way. I would highly recommend this experience to anyone interested in teaching overseas for a short amount of time!

Andrew

Summer of a lifetime !

I really enjoyed continuing to work as a TEFL teacher, working at 3 different countries in one summer.

A fantastic way to experience the different cultures, as well as seeing new sites of interest, whilst learning about the history and traditions of each country.

An massive opportunity to meet new great open minded people, whilst doing a fun job and staying with host families who really look after many of the tutors very well.

I would highly recommend The English Camp Company to anyone as it is an fantastic, friendly and professional company worth working for.

Annie

Two Great Summers

I worked as a tutor for the English Camp Company in the Summers of 2014 & 2015. Both times were all around great experiences- Nate and Ashleigh were always quick to communicate and on top of our schedules. I never had a problem getting from place to place, or having a host family pick me up. Besides the smooth logistical side, I had an incredible time bonding and living with the host families. I still keep in touch with some of the amazing families I stayed with, who were so incredible kind and gracious to me staying in their home, and who taught me the joy of living like an Italian, la dolce vita. I also loved working with the other tutors and with the kids, everyday was energetic and fun. I made so many great memories and friends and gained so many insightful experiences working with The English Camp Company!

Nina

Wonderful Experience

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to work at English camp. It was perfect for me since I love working with children and I love summer camp! It's really important to be open minded about what will happen because there is so much you won't know until the last minute, but that's part of the fun! Nate and Ashley work so hard to match you with great host families who often will make this the experience of a lifetime! Even more, they actually pay you, which is unlike a lot of similar abroad opportunities!

Having an experienced tutor at camps with new tutors would help new tutors a lot.
Jamie

EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME

Working with the English Camp Company this past summer was an AMAZING experience shared with AMAZING people. At the start of your adventure you are provided information about safe travel and what to expect when traveling. As you arrive, you are greeted with the warmest welcome possible by Ashley and Nate themselves. During the journey of teaching English in Italy (and maybe even Austria) you are surrounded by a rich culture that is spectacular and inviting. For me, this past summer has been an experience that I will cherish forever, along with the friends and families I met along the way. If you are looking for a way to experience culture, language, FOOD, good people and a chance to use your fantastic teaching skills, apply to the English Camp Company TODAY!

Luke

What an AMAZING summer!

I honestly don't think there is a better overseas program than this one! Working with the English Camp Company this past summer has been such an incredible experience and while there is so much to say about this program, I will try to be brief in writing this review.

When I arrived in Italy, the camp owners (Ashleigh and Nate) met me at the train station and somehow knew exactly who I was. It was a really good welcome and that set the tone for the rest of the summer because Italian hospitality is nothing like anything you've ever experienced before. It's amazing to say the least! They really looked after us, right from when we arrived to when we were sent on our way to our first camps.

The first week was spent with orientation and training which involved getting to know the other teachers, learning how and what we were going to be doing all summer and getting comfortable with teaching Italian students... which if you're not familiar is quite the experience. Ashleigh and Nate were really good at answering questions, and preparing us for the summer ahead. You can tell they really care about you and the other teachers and they really have a heart and a passion for what they're doing across Italy... teaching English. Oh and don't let the idea of being "new to teaching" or "I don't know how to teach Italians" scare you! You also have to remember that when you (and everyone else) arrives in Italy at the beginning of the summer, nobody really knows what they are doing but by the end of the summer, you really feel like a pro. It takes time to get comfortable but after a few days of camp, it just becomes second nature.

While overseas, you are staying with a host family at each of the camps you are teaching at. And trust me, these families are so welcoming and just incredible. You'll end up meeting half the town on your first night and eating some of the best pasta you've ever tasted. You become a part of their family and they really go above and beyond to make you feel at home and comfortable. The biggest advice I can give is try everything and don't be afraid of getting to know them. Spend your time with them, not on instagram or facebook. If you have a sensitivity to any sort of food, these families go out of their way to accommodate. One of our teachers from last year was a celiac, and the family went out and bought a brand new set of cutlery and plates for her so she would be "safe." For me, my host families took me to the Swiss Alps where we climbed to one of the highest stations in the Alps, we went swimming in the ocean, went to Milan, Rome, Perugia, went gliding in the Alps, and went out to eat and see different cultural events. Don't be shy. Get in there and have fun.

The camps are set up in such a way that kids don't spend all day in English classes but rather "experience" English through camp songs (yes you must sing and be crazy), through games and activities as well as English classes. You are assigned your own group of kids that will be in your class for the duration of the camp. Get to know them, they love hearing about where you're from, how many brothers or sisters you have an what kind of pets you have. Italians are also crazy about taking selfies. So go ahead and take a few. Above all, be yourself. The most challenging part of the summer for me was the speaking english part. You need to really break down your English and speak in a way that THEY can understand. This sounds more difficult than it is. Seriously, after 2 or 3 days, it's second nature. And being completely honest, after spending a whole summer overseas in Italy, when I went back home, I actually found it difficult to speak English normally again. Which was amusing.

These camps rest solely on how well YOU perform as a teacher/tutor. This might be intimidating to hear but think of it like this: at the end of the day when you see those kids going home, laughing and speaking so quickly, trying to tell their parents about everything that happened and how much they love English camp, you can be sure that it's because of your hard work and energy. And that's what keeps them coming back.

Although I have hundreds of stories that I could share, I'll briefly share one with you. This was at my first camp and I was teaching the oldest kids (10-13 year olds). We had been working all week on the English Past Tense which I thought wasn't going very well. They didn't seem to be getting it as fast as I wanted and I didn't think I was teaching them as well as I could have. I felt bad. After the weekend, on Monday morning, I had a parent come up to me and say that over the weekend, her daughter (whom was in my class) couldn't stop correcting us on our English. Apparently they were using the Past Tense incorrectly and her daughter corrected them endless times using stuff we had been learning all the previous week. That was a good feeling and the point is that even though these kids might not always express their gratitude or show you their understanding, they actually do get it and appreciate your work.

When asked to sum up the whole summer and what it takes to be successful, I'd say this: To make the summer an unforgettable one, you gotta let your guards down and just have fun, be silly and be energetic. Be bold with your teaching, tell the kids stories, and get to know them. Show them that you want their English to improve and that you love the job. Even when it's +45C outside and you're sweating buckets, forget about it and just have fun. Enjoy every moment and try everything. Don't be shy of not fitting in because they know you're not Italian already so you got nothing to worry about. And above all, relax. It's gonna be one heck of a summer!

Summer 2016... let's do this!

There is not much that can be improved because the program is already pretty amazing. But if I had to say one thing that they can improve on is: telling us what we needed to bring and what we didn't need to bring.

I definitely overpacked when I came to Italy (and I only brought one bag) but still, would have been nice to know. For example, I brought jeans and a sweater, both of which I didn't wear once. I also brought too many t-shirts and never wore half of them... the reason being was because we had camp shirts given to us that we wore during the day while at camp. So you only needed t-shirts for the evening when you went home.

You also didn't need to bring a computer. An iPad would have been plenty. And make sure you bring stickers and small little things to give out to your students at each camp. They LOVE getting little things like pins, pencils, flags, little treats. Be creative.
Tom

Hands down, the BEST abroad program in the world.

I don’t know where to start...

Organization/Orientation: By far the most organized and exceptional experience I’ve ever been part of from start to finish. Ashleigh and Nate keep you updated well before your trip to Italy and Austria, throughout and to the end. You'll have nothing to worry about from the moment you arrive at the train station in Italy. Orientation was so informative, eventful, and entertaining. You'll meet people from all around the world and learn about their culture and background. Learning new games and camp songs, taking daily notes, and communicating with everyone are some of the best advice I can give. It makes the experience that much more enjoyable and will nonetheless prepare you for your an exciting summer. I've never felt more equipped to teach English before working with The English Camp Company. The sights are absolutely breathtaking. The food is the best you’ll ever eat in the world. Making lifelong friendships within the first week is inevitable.

Teaching in Italy: Truly rewarding. I won’t ever forget all of the children I spent so much time with. It's an amazing opportunity for anyone considering a career in teaching/education. I was a mathematics major and loved every minute of being an English tutor. I discovered so much about myself while learning about all of my students. I learned how to lesson plan, write plays, and incorporate fun into every activity/game. Teaching in different parts of Italy and Austria will bring its many challenges, but as long as you embrace each day that you're fortunate enough to wake up in and teach in a beautiful country, it'll be a breeze. 3 words: PERFECT. SUMMER. JOB.

Travel/Italian : I lost count of the amount of places I went/saw in only 7 weeks. The beaches are absolutely gorgeous.
Before going to Italy, I hadn't ever spoken the language. By the third week I had learned so many words, phrases, and gestures that I automatically fell in love with the culture and began speaking italian in different places. It's awesome.

One of the greatest and inevitable gifts you'll receive when you travel abroad are making friendships and networking internationally. If you've never travelled abroad you may have a few friends from other countries growing up that you get to know. When you get the opportunity to travel and make friends abroad... it's amazing. It opens your eyes to new places and opportunities. It broadens your horizons and gives you a more open outlook on the world. The benefits of having friends abroad give you places to stay if you want to travel throughout the year, a reference point to the best locations, and so much more.

If you want the opportunity to travel with an amazing, (5-star) affordable program, look NO further. Take the time to apply. You don't have to take my word for it. Scroll up and down and look at all the reviews. Talk about a reputable summer job. The places you’ll go will amaze you. Ashleigh and Nate have the most incredible summer already waiting for you, so why not join.
Look for me in summer 2016.

I wouldn't change anything about the program. It was truly amazing working for Ashleigh and Nate. I was blessed to be hired, and gave 100% effort each day.
Julia

Any Teacher's Dream

The English Camp Company helped me grow into the teacher that I am today. There are so many delightful aspects about being an E.C.C. tutor, that it is almost difficult to choose my ultimate favorite. Working with such wonderful Italian children day in and day out in both the classroom and through fun-filled afternoon activities was the highlight of my entire year, let alone summer. Meeting the world’s most hospitable families who treat you like one of their own, as well as creating long lasting relationships with both fellow tutors and students are just a glimpse of arguably the best experience of my life thus far. Nate and Ashleigh, the masterminds behind this wonderful organization, are two of the most caring, organized and welcoming people on the planet. They make you feel right at home. Orientation was the perfect start to an unforgettable summer because it is a time to meet everyone in the group and learn all of the necessary skills to be successful in the classroom.

Out of the three host families I had last year, I can honestly say with confidence that I cannot choose one I love more than the other. I talk to all of them on a regular basis and I sent them all Christmas packages as a way of saying thanks so much for inviting me into your home for an extended period of time. My favorite Italy memories are the ones spent bonding with my families because they gave me a home away from home in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I learned so much from them, including a little bit of Italian. Each family was different in their own way and I loved learning how to cook meals from their specific regions. The truly want to spend time with their tutor and the kids absolutely LOVE when the tutors go out of their way to enjoy quality time with them as well. I highly advise the new tutors to be mindful of their families, be eternally grateful for treating the tutors like family, and go on the mini excursions that the families plan for their tutors! (The travel opportunities with families are the best)!! The camps are all in gorgeous regions of Italy and each provide an entirely different experience. I absolutely loved the aspect of traveling to a new part of Italy every two weeks. This program allows you to meet new people, live with amazing families, eat the BEST food, teach in a positive and loving environment and travel--- truly an offer that can't be beat!

Working with all of the charismatic, Italian children and passionate staff, and getting the opportunity to travel throughout one of the most beautiful countries on Earth is an experience that I will cherish forever.
This program is without a doubt one of the best out there--- especially if you are looking for an authentic, Italian experience with wonderful families and amazing students. If you want to feel safe, and feel instantly right at home; look no further, because the English Camp Company is the real deal.

My only wish would be to have a final summer "wrap up" get together so that all the tutors could meet again to say goodbye one last time. I loved orientation so much because everyone was in one place, and it was so easy to bond and create instant friendships! If you have the opportunity to do ECC, you will absolutely LOVE orientation. The English Camp Company is a decision you won't regret.
Amanda

Best Opportunity to Work Abroad

Working for The English Camp Company was the best summer experience I have ever had. Ashleigh and Nate welcomed us with open arms. Orientation with the other tutors was fun and informative. I had never made friends so fast in a 3-day period. The orientation camp was a great way to get the ball rolling and see what the summer would be like. Take advantage of this week because it is the only time you get to work with all the tutors at the same time! The actual job didn't really feel like work because you're having so much fun teaching the best kids ever. You get so attached to your campers and host families that you never want to leave. But worry not, you are always a train ride away from the next best camp and family. The experience I received with the ECC far exceeded my expectations. I would work with them again anytime.

Organization: Extremely organized. If you have a question it will be answered. Either by e-mail before you get to Italy or by phone calls when you are there. You never feel lost when travelling from camp to camp because they provided you with more than enough information with your itinerary and how to get there. Camp directors are always one step ahead and making sure everything is planned and ready before we welcome the campers. If we were missing materials the camp director was on it right away. I can honestly say that I never felt at a loss.

Travelling by trains: One of the best parts of travelling in Italy and Austria. You get to see amazing sceneries and spend time getting to know fellow tutors. You are also getting the full Italian experience of train travel.

Host families: I was blessed to have amazing host families. Not one host family made me feel like I was not included. The families are kind hearted, open to learn about you and where you come from, have the best intentions and want to show you around. Leaving host families at the end of each camp was one of the hardest things because you didn't want to. I personally, am still in contact with some of my host families and this proves that they make it feel like a home away from home.

At times dealing with native Italians can be little frustrating because they have a different mentality. Don't take it personally. Be open minded and you will see that they just want what is best for you, the camp and the campers.
Madeleine

A Perfect European Summer

My first time out of the United States was my summer with ECC. As a first time traveler, I was apprehensive to leave home for such a long time. However, Nate & Ashliegh, along with the other tutors, host families, and kids at camp made me feel right at home. Nate and Ashliegh are the best bosses I've ever had, they are so organized and on top of everything. Traveling from town to town was a breeze, and their camp orientation had me extremely prepared to teach the kiddos at camp! Every tutor I had the pleasure to work with was on top of their game, and colaboration was easy an fun! We even traveled together after camp, some of the tutors will be my friends for life! can't say enough good things about my host families, these wonderful people went out of their way to make me feel like a part of the family! They cooked amazing meals and brought me to cities such as Milan and Rome. The days at camp were alway fun and well organized! Everyday I was amazed by the kids and their excitment for English. You will work hard, you will meet amazing people, eat wonderful food, see beautiful place, and never want to go home.

This is a stretch, but they could emphasize brushing up on your camp songs before you arrive. A vast knowledge of camp songs makes the morning warm up that much more enjoyable for everyone involved!
John

Phenomenal!

My experience with the English Camp Company was absolutely incredible. Nate and Ashley are great and they definitely make sure that you are well prepared to teach english efficiently at all the camps. The training week is a blast and very informative. Everything is set up perfectly: the host families, the various camp locations, the train tickets. Every new location was a new adventure and getting from one place to another was very simple. This is an excellent way to see the country. I was able to be in the very south of Italy, as well as up north. And then the transition to Austria blew my mind. Each culture was fascinating and there is plenty of time outside of the teaching hours to discover the food, people, and country. Finally, the children at the camps were a joy to work with. Their energy was constant!

Preparation for the final show was mildly stressful for me. However, most of the other tutors loved this and put together excellent skits.

About The English Camp Company

The English Camp Company, L.L.C. organizes English Summer Camps in Italy & Austria for 7 – 14 year olds. We offer an enjoyable, interactive atmosphere where children can use everyday English and improve their knowledge of the English language in a...