EDUCO: Teach English in Italy at Summer Camps

FINAL SHOWS
FINAL SHOWS
Scavenger hunt
Scavenger hunt
My first ever group. They gave me life!
My first ever group. They gave me life!
Casual trip to the top of a 'cherry picker' on an excursion to the fire station... we had more fun than the kids!
I have so many memories from this camp and made lifelong connections.
I have so many memories from this camp and made lifelong connections.

EDUCO is a non profit educational company that provides Italian students with fun, enriching hands on opportunities to learn the English language.

We are recruiting creative, passionate and responsible mother tongue English speakers to teach English in Camps throughout Italy - from the Alps to the islands of Sicily and Sardegna - on our accredited TEFL through Peformance & Play program (in collaboration with Trinity Stars). This is a unique opportunity to enhance your CV and cultural horizons by learning how to teach through games, sports, drama & songs all taught at our orientation. Accommodation, food and transport during and between camps is provided and tutors also receive a generous study grant which is based on the number of weeks spent teaching.

If you dream of spending a summer in Bella Italia while doing rewarding work with children and meeting people from all over the world - then this is the experience for you.

• Living with Italian host families, working in a culturally diverse team environment, free transport from camp to camp, company accommodation during weeks on hold, networking possibilities in Italy following program
  • Earn a TEFL through Performance & Play Certificate accredited by the International TEFL Accreditation Council
  • We are proud to provide our tutors with the highest compensation of any summer camps program within Italy, and among the highest within the EU.

You do not need to speak Italian in order to apply for our camps. While knowledge of the language can be an advantage, our camps are full English immersion and we discourage tutors from speaking Italian with the children. Every camp has local Italian staff (including the director and helpers) who may assist with any language barriers.

• Benefits 9.5
  • Facilities 9.3
Stephanie

Summer Dream!

I’ve been doing Educo camps for two years in a row now and I’m so excited to head back for my third Summer with Educo this year!
It’s an unreal experience travelling around Italy, teaching, being immersed in the culture and sharing memories with new friends.

I was both excited and nervous to stay with families during my time at camp as I’d never done anything like this before. Each family I went to gave me a warm welcome and were eager to get to know me. We shared evenings together talking, eating, drinking and laughing together and they were kind enough to take me to places around their towns and cities so I could explore the sights. I stayed in touch with my families afterwards and I managed to visit them again the next Summer which was so sweet.

Within the camps you’re a part of a team, working together to create a fun and magical experience for the children. You get the chance to embrace your inner child alongside your peers as you lead and take part in the activities with the children.
My favourite part of camps is being able to create a final show with your class. You work with your class to write a story and a script in English and you spend time with them making set and costumes. It’s a rewarding experience having your class help create a show in a completely different language to their own and seeing how proud their families are of their incredible work.

The support from the Educo team is second to none. The orientation was so fun and insightful as we were trained and mentored on how the camps work and what was expected from us as tutors in a camp. You meet so many new people at the orientation who you are experiencing this new adventure together with and create strong bonds along the way.

I highly recommend you spend your Summer with Educo camps. If you’re looking to teach, travel, experience a new language and culture and make lasting memories then apply and have an incredible Summer!

Emily

Amazing First Time Traveling Experince!

This experience was the first time I have travelled alone and EDUCO made it so simple and safe to get around the country. The first week of orientation was a brilliant opening week to Educo and, although intense, really taught me about the company and its goals. I really believe theatre and interactive education is the best for language learning and was so happy to find myself working for a company whose beliefs comply so much with my own.

The camps I worked on (Paestum and Napoli) were amazing and teaching English was such a rewarding job. I still keep in contact with one of my class helper who became a really good friend of mine too.

The host families were the most loving and kind families and I am very grateful to them. During the time I lived with them, I learnt the importance of buffalo mozzarella, met their entire family including great aunts who spoke no English at all, went to an Italian first birthday party, read to the children and taught them English in the evenings and saw some really local and fascinating parts of Italy.

Finally, the other tutors that I met through Educo were amazing. I was so lucky to work with some amazing people from all around the world!

If you are lucky enough to teach at a camp with a pool remember this... Italians are very particular about hair and believe if you walk around with wet hair you WILL die. On my camp, after pool time every day all the children would bring hair dryers and no more lessons would take place until every stand of hair was dry!
Harneet

An Incomparable Experience!

After teaching with Educo for just one summer, I can say that not only did I get to fall in love with the experience but Italy as a whole! I went into Educo excited about being in Italy, but this was so much more than just that. The Educo staff do everything to try and make you feel at home and are there for you throughout the entire experience - no matter which part of Italy you're in. The host families and kids are some of the most lovely people along with the other tutors and people you get to meet on this adventure.

A great way to create incredible and unforgettable memories!

Embrace every single moment - your time with the host families, with the other tutors, the lovely Italian kids, and treasure ITALY!
Cat

A Summer Dream

The staff and your fellow tutors at EDUCO truly become like family. I was able to spend an entire summer in the most beautiful place with some incredible people.
I really enjoyed teaching the students, both you and the students have an amazing time in the classroom or outside playing games! The teaching style is very kinesthetic, most of the time the class is up on their feet and learning through fun games that challenge and motivate them.
During the summer, you stay with host families: the families I stayed with were so welcoming and incredibly accommodating. I loved diving into the culture and learning the Italian language.
I will absolutely be returning again this summer, the students and the friends I met really changed my life for the better! Thank you EDUCO!

If there are any mishaps while traveling, EDUCO staff are always there to help you. This is a job where you need to be comfortable traveling from city to city every 1 to 2 weeks. More importantly, when things don’t go according to plan in or outside the classroom, you have to be willing to overcome those obstacles with positivity and the knowledge that the staff and your fellow tutors are there to help you.
Rob

Excellent, rewarding experience

Doing Educo summer camps has been an amazing experience for me. I have so many wonderful memories of the places I've seen and the people I've lived or worked with.

Staying with host families means you experience real Italian life. Expect to be shown around the local area, fed wonderful food, introduced to people in the town etc. Everywhere I've stayed the hospitality has been amazing.

Camp locations vary, so you get to stay in tiny villages, big cities, and everything in between. My very first camp was in a remote area and the second was in Milan. They were both equally charming in different ways.

You work alongside people from all over the world in camps. This means you can represent your country by bringing your own culture to the camp. This is particularly true for Culture Day, which is one of the afternoon activities. You can have so much fun. Water Games in another popular afternoon activity which is a load of fun.

Each day starts with a morning circle where you sing songs that you learned at orientation. This is daunting at first but there is so much support from the main training team to help you. Bring energy and enthusiasm and you'll have an amazing time!

Everything you need is in the training manual. The core team are all very approachable and can help if you need any guidance while at camp. Camp Directors are always on hand and there are also Camp Helpers to provide extra support to both tutors and campers.

Keith

Excellent program

I went in to Educo not knowing what to expect and have thoroughly loved my two summers spent with them. Educo provides a great week of training, fun teaching curriculums, and housing and food (mostly provided by wonderful host families). You meet so many great people whether it's other tutors, host families or campers. Camps last either 1 or 2 weeks which keeps things fresh and interesting.

Educo also provides great assistants along the way. They are quick to respond to any questions through email and provide multiple phone numbers you can contact while you're there. If you ever get lost or just need general guidance they are available. When you transfer camps you will usually travel with another tutor so you are rarely alone.

I recommend this program for anyone who is loves working with kids and wants to explore Italy.

Bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm to each day of camp. It will make you and the people around you enjoy their time more.
Daniella

A wonderful way to spend your summer!

I had heard about this program from a friend of mine who had completed it the following year. Everything she told me was wonderful but I truly had no idea how great it would be.

I spent 9 weeks in camp and every week created memories that I will never forget.

On top of having a wonderful time in and out of camps, the company works hard to make sure you are safe 24/7 and should an issue arise (which, in my 9 weeks did not), they are very fast with replying and solving it.

Also, these hard workers spend the year creating amazing curriculum that both you and the kids can enjoy. After a week of training and breaking everything down, you feel completely confident walking into your first day at camp.

I HIGHLY recommend this company and feel honoured being able to work for them.

James

AMAZING

I just completed my second summer with Educo and it was, in a word, amazing (see: title)! I can’t recommend this experience enough; you’re able to travel to and explore Italy, whilst being able to be a tutor at a camp- with is incredibly rewarding and a lot of fun too!
Every host family I’ve stayed with has been warm and welcoming and eager to show me the area. Every part of Italy is full of its own culture, food, and sights; it's an incredibly diverse country.
Tutoring at the camps is its own experience. Being part of a great team, all with the focus to make the camp as fun as possible, whilst being educational and teaching campers English, is unlike any other experience I've had. Play games! Teach songs! Direct a play! Film a Zombie Apocalypse video (a personal favourite memory)! Every camp and place you leave you take with you; you really do make memories for life. If you’re in any way interested in travelling and education this is absolutely the role to apply for!

Alex

Educo summer camps 2019

I had the pleasure of spending a month in Italy with Educo. I spent one week in training, and three weeks in camps. I spent two days in Bologna prior to meeting the team I was very nervous and I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but once I met the team I was instantly at ease. Three of the tutors met me in Bologna train station and drove me to the place we were staying. On that night I met with the entire team and everyone else and everyone was so friendly at welcoming.

Initially when the training started initially it was a bit awkward but we were given an amazing amount of support and training that after two/three days, it was fine! Once training was complete, I was feeling pretty emotional! If you decide to do this, you will bond with people and you will make some great friends, even though some of them you may only be with for a week. The next day I went to meet my first host family and Educo organised all of this (including transport). It was the same with all three of the host families I stayed with.

Within the camps, you may be with some tutors from your training, but you may be with return tutors, or both. For your first camp, you will probably nervous but after an hour or two, you'll start to feel at ease. After a couple of days, you will start to feel comfortable with what you're doing. Educo give you everything you could possibly need and they even give you a big manual which has planned lesson examples for every different level you could possibly teach. You will be teaching a class (usually of 8-12 kids but it can be bigger or smaller), but you will most likely have a helper with you (who is Italian) so you get stuck or need help, they are there. The only thing you have to be aware of is that not all kids behave nicely all of the time.

If you're thinking of doing it, DO IT! It's not something I ever thought I would do but it turned out to be one of the best experiences of my life. Overall Educo will help you feel at ease, everybody is super supportive, and Educo will give you everything you need any more. Also if it helps anyone with dietary requirements, I'm vegetarian and Educo catered for this and let the host families know as well.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment was at the end of the first week of training where you have to perform a morning circle song to everyone. A morning circle song is basically a song that you will teach to the kids and perform with them (probably a bad description but still). I was so nervous for this but afterwards I got a great amount of feedback and everyone (trainers and other tutors) will help you!
Adrian

An excellent mix or learning, teaching and broadening your human experience

It was extremely rewarding Traveling around to some amazing places around Italy, while living with host families during your teaching weeks. It creates an authentic experience for you and families you get to stay with. The food is amazing and the group of people you get to work with is exceptional and so unique.

It’s also great that you create wonderful relationships with your other co workers. You eat together, laugh together , sing together and act utterly and wonderfully silly together. It leaves you with a feeling of satisfaction and togetherness that you share at the moment with people you work with. All that mixed with amazing food and wine and beautiful scenery creates bliss.

So I would highly recommend this for young adults and even older ones looking for a change in scenery and pace.

I would try to increase the rate the tutors get paid, giving returners more of incentive to come back
Hanna

Enriching experience

Having only started my Educo journey this summer, I already can’t wait to come back next year! Educo is the perfect answer to anyone looking to work travel and have a fun and rewarding experience over their summer. You get to meet such interesting and fun people, brush up on your Italian language AND experience delicious home made Italian cuisine every evening! What could be better?! My favourite aspect is that you get to embrace Italy in such a unique and authentic way. You can feel more like a local than a tourist, and your host families honestly treat you like one of their own! You have the opportunity to visit the most beautiful locations that you’ve probably never even heard of and really feel like part of a wider family. The Educo team are always fast to respond to literally any request or concern and are reliable and supportive in every way. Educo is honestly the best way to make not just professional connections but friends for life and the best stories to tell. You can earn AND save money whilst simultaneously gaining incredibly rewarding experiences with kids, getting a qualification as a TEFL teacher and discovering the delights of Italian culture! Can’t recommend enough!

What was your funniest moment?
I have countless funny moments from kids, families and tutors but one of my favourite moments was on the last day of my camp in castelfranco Emilia after the final show when all the parents and staff were celebrating the end of an amazing week. We had food and music and the speakers were turned right up when one of the kids favourite songs “old town road” came on. Everyone started to gather and create one huge circle egging their friends and family to go in the middle. Naturally people were a bit reserved and no one really went in the circle but just danced round the edges. Then all of a sudden, just before the beat dropped, one of the youngest boys at the camp- only 6 years old- came bursting through the audience with his cap on backwards and just burst into an incredible breakdance routine! What made it better was that he had been one of the shyest campers all week and we NEVER would have expected him to do something like that but he just totally came out of his shell and totally owned the moment and just went for it - flips and freezes and all! All the kids were cheering, the tutors was stunned and the parents all filming! He became the little superstar mascot of the camp and everyone wanted pictures with him afterwards! It was such a fun and special thing to witness, knowing that we had all helped to create that moment for him to grab hold of!
Jamie

They Can't Keep Me Away!

Working with EDUCO has been one of the best experiences of my life. To be able to spend months travelling around beautiful Italy, enjoying the culture, the cuisine and the climate has been an incredible opportunity.

For me, there are so many positives about the Programme I could write for hours, but I'll keep my review to the most important 3: the families, the friends and most importantly the kids. (I'll save the best until last)

1. The families are incredible, it is easy to think that they are just people who give you a room in a house, but they are so much more than that. Every family I have stayed with have been incredible, they invite you into their lives and into their family. They treat you to all of the best food and drink Italy can offer, in fact, my last host family who lives 10 miles north of Vicenza asked what my favourite foods were and made an effort to cook it for me. (The Italian version of a Roast beef dinner is very special) .

2. Over the course of summer, you work with a number of other tutors from around the world, and for me, making theses new friends was one of the best parts of working with EDUCO. I have since travelled to the USA, to Ireland and to France explicitly to see some of my old colleagues. The friendships you make with EDUCO are friendships for life!!!

3. Lastly and most importantly are the kids / the campers / the Italians / the crazy and energetic bundles of joy that keep me coming back year after year. The students are absolutely brilliant, they are so full of joy and energy and wonder that it makes me wonder why I say working in the UK for the rest of the year. Of course, working with children there are challenges and tough moments, but the smiles and laughter on the children's faces makes it all worth.

I love EDUCO any everything they do [I am already planning on returning next year]

Hannah

Educo summer 2018 - Dream Job

Working with Educo is wonderful. You have one week of training with a beautiful team who are there to support you as much as they can! You then get to travel around Italy and get paid for it! The teaching can be daunting but once you realise the kids are there to have fun and learn English you end up having just as much fun as they do! Staying with host families that look after you and are so welcoming and accommodating, I’m vegan and Educo informed all my host families before hand of my dietary requirements and the families definitely made sure I had enough to eat! You will hardly ever travel alone and you get to form some really strong relationships! Wonderful company to work for! I would definitely recommend this programme if your looking to explore Italy, meet some great people, teach some beautiful kids and eat some awesome food!!

Nicholas

Experience of a Lifetime

I heard about Educo through a friend who lives in Italy, and I’m so grateful to have had this experience!
I was at a loss here in the states as to how I should spend the summer months, so I did some research and discovered this opportunity to teach Italian students English through drama while traveling and experiencing authentic Italian life! Needless to say, I didn’t hesitate to apply!
For orientation, Educo set us up in a really nice hotel on the Adriatic Sea! I met other English speaking tutors from all over world and I made a ton of new friends and connections. During orientation, they fully prepared us with all of the information that we needed before we were off on our own. After orientation, I was ready to meet my first host family, travel Italy and teach! During my summer with Educo, I had the opportunity to work in camps from Parma in the North to Napoli and Senise in the South of Italy and I ended my summer camp experience at a camp on the beautiful Lake Garda, near Verona. It was really great to see different regions and experience different customs and traditions across the country. During my teaching experience, I also was able to take a week off and travel Sicily! I can’t think of a better way for a teacher to explore this beautiful country while doing what you love!
The schools in which the summer camps are held were all very different but the camp activities were universal! Educo kept every camp fully stocked with supplies for teaching and with materials for the final show. Italian kids are really affectionate and warm, they make you feel welcome and they’re so excited to have a native English speaker as their teacher! There is a final show that your class performs at the end of every camp which is a great way for campers to get creative! Their families are so excited to see them speaking English and having fun while they do it! It’s always sad to part with your camp at the end. I still have artwork and letters that my students made for me! Also, don’t worry about speaking Italian! The camp directors prefer that you only speak in English and there is always enough support in your camp, you’ll never be left in the dark.
The host families that you stay with will always have a kid attending the summer camp that you are working, so they usually will drop you off in the morning with their kids at the camp. Every host family that I stayed with were so incredibly hospitable and welcoming! They will take you out to eat and sometimes coordinate with the other host families for events, trips or parties! Also, be prepared to stuff yourself on authentic Italian cuisine during your stay! Italian families love to feed you and take care of you. Its equally hard to leave your host families when the camp ends. On Facebook, I’m friends with every host family that I stayed with while traveling!

This company was a pleasure to work with! Educo staff are personable and always available for questions or concerns while you are at the camps. I met the Educo staff during orientation, and I kept communication with them via Facebook or email for the entire summer.
I cannot recommend this program enough! It was an experience that will stay with me for forever!

Teaching in Italy with Educo was great! They prepare their tutors well at orientation, and they are always available for support. It was a pleasure to work with Educo!
Nicholas

Experience of a Lifetime!

I heard about Educo through a friend who lives in Italy, and it was such an incredible experience! I plan on going again next summer! I was at a bit of a loss here in the states as to how I should spend my summer. My friend, knowing my background in both Theater and Education, informed me of this opportunity to teach Italian kids English through drama while traveling the country and experiencing authentic Italian life! Needless to say, I didn’t hesitate to apply and once I did, I knew I was in for a lifechanging experience! For orientation, they set us up in a really nice hotel, on the Adriatic Sea! I met other English speaking tutors from all over world and I made a ton of new friends and connections. During orientation, they fully stocked us with all of the information that we needed before we were off on our own. After orientation, I was ready to meet my first host family, travel Italy and teach! During my summer with Educo, I had the opportunity to work in camps from Parma in the North to Napoli and across the South of Italy. I ended my summer at a camp on Lake Garda, near Verona. During my teaching experience, I took a week off to travel Sicily as well! The camps were incredible and well stocked with supplies. Italian kids are really affectionate and warm, they make you feel welcome and they’re so excited to have a native English speaker as their teacher! The play, in English, that your students perform at the end of every camp, was the best way to end a week or a two week stay! Your students families are so excited to see them speaking English and having fun while they do it! It’s always sad to part with your camp at the end. I still have artwork and letters that my students created for me while I was their tutor! On facebook, I’m friends with every host family that I stayed with while traveling. Also, don’t worry about speaking Italian! You are given a helper with each group of students and they are fluent Italian speakers! The camp directors prefer that you only speak in English anyway! The host families that you stay with will always have a child attending the summer camp that you are working, so they usually will drop you off in the morning with their kids at the camp. Every host family that I had were so incredibly hospitable and welcoming! I stayed on a luxurious vineyard by the biggest lake in Italy! Also, be prepared to stuff yourself on authentic Italian cuisine during your stay! Italian families love to feed you and take care of you. As if this isn’t incredible enough, you are paid weekly by Educo with room and board and travel costs accommodated for! Educo staff are personable and always available for questions or concerns. I met everyone in the Educo staff during orientation, and I kept communication with them via Facebook or email for the entire summer.