Online TEFL Certification + Personalized Coaching & Tutoring

Online TEFL Certification + Personalized Coaching & Tutoring

Welcome to online learning, teaching abroad, and international travel. This is not your Mom's Online TEFL Course

Yes--you can learn to teach English at a professional level by taking a self-paced, online course with Maximo Nivel.

The Maximo Nivel online TEFL Certification course is different from regular online courses. Most online TEFL courses simply concentrate on ESL theory; they’re automated online courses—"one-way learning" because you miss the class interaction and the practical teaching component that regular onsite TEFL courses offer. At Maximo Nivel, our online TEFL course has been built directly from our onsite TEFL course—not only do you get the theory, but you get to discuss it and ask questions with your TEFL Trainer through 15 hours of included one-on-one coaching and tutoring. Most importantly, you teach 6 one-hour lessons with a live English student online!

Maximo Nivel's one-on-one, personalized online TEFL training course makes you a better teacher!

Teaching Practicum

Sara
Cusco, Peru
Northern Arizona University

Teaching in Cusco, Peru!

When I signed up for the course in Cusco, I was very excited! I am a teacher in the United States and I really wanted to continue teaching, but I wanted to gain experience teaching another age group and do some traveling. Moving to Cusco was the best decision I could have ever made!

Upon arrival, I was struck by the beauty of Cusco and the liveliness of the city. There are many people (tourists, volunteers, locals) who are constantly busy, yet extremely friendly. I was set up with a host family that was absolutely incredible! They helped me to learn more Spanish and made amazing food! I lived with them while I took the TEFL Course, which was perfect!

The TEFL program itself was phenomenal! I was able to receive an individualized education due to a smaller class size. My classmates and I became great friends! The instructor is also incredible. He is very passionate about teaching and encourages the future TEFL teachers to be just as passionate. The teaching practices and techniques that I gained through this course are so useful and effective for every day teaching! I also enjoyed the fact that practical teaching was part of the course; it truly helped me to prepare for when I would start teaching my own classes!

Currently, I live with a fellow teacher, (it was easy to find affordable housing!) and I am teaching full time. I LOVE my job! Teaching English has been one of the most rewarding experiences that I have had. The students are incredibly motivated and dedicated. It pushes me to be a better teacher, and person, every day!

Along with teaching, experiencing the culture and traveling around Peru has been quite the adventure! The people are so helpful and friendly. The culture is so rich and diverse, and the food is delicious! Some of my favorite places so far that I have been to are Machu Picchu, Puerto Maldonado and Puno. I would recommend this course and experience to anyone!

Erinn
Portland

TEFL Hybrid Program

As a nursing Mom in my forties and an experienced teacher, I was nervous that I would be thrown into a group of twenty-somethings that only liked to party. However, from the very beginning it was clear to me that this was a serious program that expected its students to be serious as well.

As a mother of four with a nursing infant and a job I wasn't able to spend an entire month away from home. Enrolling in the Hybrid Program allowed me the opportunity to follow professional pursuits as well as be a Mom and work at the same time. Maximo Nivel was extremely accommodating and hospitable towards out family. We timed our travel to Costa Rica so that our whole family could come along for part of the time.

My TEFL instructor, Audra, was just amazing. From the very beginning she was available to Skype, phone call and e-mail with me whenever I needed it. Once arriving at the Maximo Nivel campus in Costa Rica I was ahead of the students in the book work. I had a little bit of catching-up to do in other areas- but that was to be expected and my TEFL instructor, as well as my fellow classmates, helped me to get up to speed right away.

Being an experienced teacher with a few college degrees I was also worried about what I would learn in this program. Audra is hands down one of the best teachers I have ever had. I learned so much from her every day. She treated me with dignity and respect and met me where I was at during each lesson. I was able to take away from the program exactly what I needed to in order to blend my prior teaching experience with my new ESL teaching skills.

I feel confident that I am now qualified and have the overall experience needed to teach ESL anywhere in the world. I also know that both Audra and Maximo Nivel will be there to support me when needed both now and in the future. I highly recommend this program.

Jake
Eugene, OR

Hybrid TEFL Course at Maximo Nivel

As a hybrid student at Maximo Nivel, I had a terrific experience. Doing the first two weeks of the course online from my home made it possible for me to keep my job in the states while still getting to get an abroad teaching experience the last two weeks of the course. I loved the flexibility of the online portion of the course, although I did not feel extremely connected to Maximo Nivel, my course instructor, or classmates during the online portion. Aside from some time zone confusions, my instructor was still very present and able to Skype with me whenever I needed and I felt supported, just not connected to the program. That all changed when I arrived to my teaching site in Costa Rica and met my classmates and instructor. Everyone was extremely welcoming. As a hybrid student, I had done all the reading I was supposed to have done and if I hadn't, I would have felt behind the rest of the class- I was in fact ahead of them on some things. One hard thing was that I had missed some cool lessons with the class during the first two weeks that couldn't be given over Skype (one class the instructor apparently taught in czech). All in all, I was grateful for my experience in the hybrid program. Doing the first two weeks online allowed me to keep my job in the states, but I still feel like my two weeks in Costa Rica were enough to give me a taste of what teaching abroad would feel like

Perhaps the online students could have a Skype date with the rest of the class where they meet everyone and maybe even get to sit in on some lessons via the computer? Not sure if that would work, but just a thought. All in all, I knew what I was getting into, more or less, with the hybrid portion and was ready to accept some things that couldn't be changed (i.e. missing the class taught in czech and getting to know my classmates).

Nick
High Point, NC
Appalachian State University

Maximo Nivel in Manuel Antonio

My time in Manuel Antonio was a great overall experience. I grew as an individual being able to travel and the host family I lived with was everything I could have asked for. The towns of Quepos and Manuel Antonio were both small enough that I was not overwhelmed exploring these new places. It was nice to be so close to the beach and with the bus fare being less than a dollar, transportation was easy. The TEFL class itself was a great experience because of the teacher. Audra brought energy, positivity, and fun to the classroom everyday. I learned a lot about English that I had forgotten as far as grammar and feel like the actual teaching week builds confidence to run a classroom in the future. I know that if I have difficulties in this career with job placement or lesson planning, I have a great support system in Maximo to offer guidance.

Cheers to all that made this experience fantastic.
-Nick

More practical teaching and a book of comprehensive lesson plans to walk away with

Erika
Boston, Massachusetts

Amazing Program

I completed the TEFL certification course with Audra and the entire experience was nothing short of amazing. I could not have asked for a better support system at Maximo Nivel and Audra never ceased to amaze me with her deep subject knowledge. Her extremely fun personality combined with her passion for teaching always left me feeling engaged and eager to learn. The course was tough at times but knowing that Audra was there for me every step of the way, for any question or concern, was a huge help. I am now TEFL certified and will be starting a job in the fall. Choosing Maximo Nivel was easily one of the best decisions of my life and I would recommend them to anyone.

Stacey
Dayton, OH
Wright State University

Adventure Awaits!

I completed my TEFL Certification at Maximo Nivel with Audra as my instructor. Audra is nothing less than an amazing teacher. She excelled my high standards by surpassing them with encouragement, training and information that I would not have found elsewhere. She helped me become a stronger problem solver and ESL teacher. The materials for Maximo were beyond what I thought I would get for the cost of the tuition. Solid, concrete information that should cost thousands of dollars was given to assist me in pursuing my life long dream at a nearly half the cost. There was no hidden fees or gimmicks.
I would recommend this course to anyone who is wanting to teach overseas. This course is a great start to get you going in the right direction. I hope you make the SMART decision to sign up right now! You will not regret it!

"With this certification the world is your oyster." -Audra

Luci
Hawaii

In a Nutshell

First Audra, our instructor, was informative, energetic, and a great teacher role model. As an experienced teacher, I found her instruction reflective of the way she wanted us to teach. In place of preaching, she demonstrated. Second, the staff went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed. Lastly, Manuel Antonio is a beautiful place full of amazing people and a rich culture.

I participated in the hybrid program. As an experienced teacher, this worked well for me. I would suggest that there be videos of various teachers teaching that hybrid students could watch and evaluate with their mentor teacher.

Máximo Nivel (Maximum Level)—The Intercultural Center of Latin America

Máximo Nivel is a family-owned, social enterprise founded in 2003. Our three intercultural centers are locally-based organizations focused on international education and cross-cultural experiences. Our programs include: Volunteer Abroad, International Internships, TEFL Certification, and Spanish Language