TEFL Certification in Manuel Antonio Beach, Costa Rica

TEFL Certification in Manuel Antonio Beach, Costa Rica

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel on the beach in Manuel Antonio. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers. Groups are small with 2 to 14 people.

The TEFL Program consists of 12 modules:

- Teaching Listening & Reading
- Teaching English with Games
- Assessing & Testing Learners
- Introduction to international English exams: TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge

Maximo Nivel is internationally accredited and the Maximo Nivel TEFL Certificate is accepted by institutes, language schools, and universities around the world.

North America » Costa Rica » San José
120hours
Job Placement
Hotel
Manuel Antonio

Apart from what the others have already suggested, I would also advise that any travel you intend on doing, you are prepared to leave until you've finished or to start beforehand. Manuel Antonio is a beautiful place, and you will certainly have beach time. But don't be fooled! The classes are intensive and require outside-the-classroom prep time. Good luck and have fun!
Thanks so much for your reply. I'd love if you could connect me with them! I'm going to be studying at Maximo in January 2017 and am very keen to teach :)
I would definitely recommend a laptop. You'll need it to work on assignments and lesson plans out of class. The building can get pretty hot, so being able to relocate to cooler locations is a must. Regarding clothes, I wore decent shorts and collared shirts for the classes. For interviews, I would recommend something more business casual.
The cost of the program varies by location and what type of stay you prefer (apartment, hostel, or homestay). I have added a link to the estimated program costs below that you may find helpful. In general, the cost will be somewhere between $2000-$2500, not including your flight. http://www.maximonivel.com/tefl-tesol/prices/

• Benefits
  • Facilities
  • Instruction
  • Difficulty
  • Job Assistance
  • Instruction

Frayne

Learning in Manuel Antonio!

Truly worthwhile experience! The staff at Maximo Nivel really care and are all excellent. One of the best reasons to go to Maximo Manuel Antonio, besides the surrounding scenery, is the instructor Audra. She will work so hard to help you understand concepts and has great sense of humor. Makes the experience worth it just for her! The school is only 15 minutes from Quepos by bus and 20 minutes from the beach. It is a beautiful place to get a TEFL certification and I am certain you will be embracing the pura vida lifestyle within the month!

Rachel
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Indiana University- Bloomington

TEFL Maximo Nivel

Getting my TEFL certification in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica was one of the most incredible experiences I have had thus far. When I first got here, I was terrified. I was homesick and didn't think I could stay abroad. However, on the VERY FIRST DAY, my instructor (Audra) noticed I seemed upset. She asked if I was okay and then asked me to go in her office. I started crying to a person I didn't even know, yet I felt perfectly comfortable doing so. She reassured me on EVERYTHING I was feeling stressed about. I felt so much better knowing I was in a place where everyone genuinely cares about you and your successes. I have never felt more supported in my life until I got to Maximo Nivel. Audra was the best instructor anyone could ever ask for. She taught us so much and made it fun in the process! I looked forward to coming to class every day, because I knew I would enjoy myself and I would grow as both a teacher and a person. If you are even considering doing this program, JUST DO IT! There is always going to be something holding you back from an experience as new as this one. But I promise, you will not regret it. If anything, you may regret not doing it. Take it from someone who was absolutely terrified and unsure if they even could do this. Let me tell you, you can do this and you will be so happy you did! Thank you Maximo Nivel for the memories, job opportunities, friends, and growth I have experienced while being here! Pura Vida :)

Stephanie
San Francisco

Do it!

From the moment I arrived, everyone at Maximo has made me feel comfortable and welcome. The TEFL course was structured well and I left feeling confident in my abilities as an English teacher. Audra is an incredible instructor! She truly cares about each of her students and is always available for questions and advice. It was worth every penny to have the hands on practical teaching experience no feedback in the beautiful Manuel, Antonio !

Cassidy
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica

My Experience Getting my TEFL/TESOL

I had the most incredible experience getting my TEFL/TESOL certificate in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica at COSI. My school had a warm atmosphere and all of the staff was supportive and kind. My teacher was the most delightful and helpful person, and made the experience that much better. The beach was only a 5 minute bus ride from school, and was a perfect get away whenever I needed it. Although the course moved quickly, I never felt like I didn't have proper guidance. Finding the "balance" of work and life was an additional valuable lesson I learned along the way. I am so grateful to have had this opportunity, and I encourage anyone interested in this journey to use Maximo Nivel!

More affordable.

Jen
1 month old
Canada
York University

Strive for Excellence

I walked into this program having no idea if this was going to be for me or not. After meeting Audra and observing her teaching style, I realized, this may not be so bad. Her upbeat nature was naturally encouraging and the way you are taught here makes things feel super comfortable. These two pieces really switched up my attitude about getting my certificate. It was no longer just about getting it, but about striving for the level of excellence. The way this program is structured, it really motivates you to succeed to your best ability. They truly care about you and you see this in the way they give up their time to help you. Though it is an intense program, it was a wonderful experience and I am glad I had this opportunity. I can only imagine how fun it would be to actually work for them. Maybe one day my journey will bring me back here.

It would be nice to maybe make it 5 weeks just to be able to have a little more breathing space as the end is pretty heavy loaded.

katherine
San Francisco
University of California- Davis

Bomb.com

This course was fuego. Audra's the world's greatest teacher and Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio is the bees knees. I cannot believe the amount we have learned and accomplished and I'm so thankful I found this course! The practical teaching hours were amazing to experience, I can't believe that I kind of feel like a teacher now. The people are amazing and all the little side activities of salsa and wine and paint nights and such have just been so much fun. It's been a whirlwind and I an so sad it's over.

if it was longer that'd be nice. I don't want to leave

Emily
Costa Rica

Maximo Nivel Experience

Job placement was helpful, but generally we were re-directed to organizations that work specifically with job placement - still very helpful! The building has a beautiful view.
Overall, I would not have wanted to go anywhere else but Maximo! Practical teaching week gives you great exposure to real-life teaching preparation. Our instructor was great and took time to help all students individually. Constant feedback was great for self-motivation and general improvement. I would absolutely recommend Maximo to family and friends.

Kyra

Incredible Experience

Hands down, one of the best experiences I have had. Audra is an AMAZING teacher!! She is so passionate about what she is teaching and it is incredibly contagious. I came into this program with very little confidence in being an English teacher. As I sit here writing this review a month later ... I feel like I am ready to take on the world and pursue a TEFL career with confidence and excitement! I HIGHLY recommend this program if you are looking to be a TEFL teacher. If you are on the fence about it all (like I was when I started), I guarantee you that your mind will change by the time you finish the program. A huge thank you to Audra and Maximo Nivel for a truly unforgettable experience! You guys are AMAZING!

Kelsey
Colorado State University

100% Worth It

I had just graduated from college in May and knew I wanted to teach English abroad. There were so many programs and places to choose from and I felt overwhelmed, until I got in contact with Maximo Nivel. From the moment I chose this program they have been nothing but wonderful. They responded to my ridiculous email questions that same day, provided me with all the necessary information before I arrived, picked me up from the airport, bought my bus tickets and made sure I was safe at my living destination all before class even started. The month I lived in Costa Rica truly changed my life. I know that people say that all the time, but it really was an experience I will never forget. My teacher, Audra, somehow made hours in the classroom learning about grammar extremely fun, AND I gained the confidence and knowledge to become an English teacher. The skills and strategies that I learned throughout this TEFL course are skills that are going to benefit me professionally as well as personally. It was definitely 110% worth every minute, dollar, and travel minute. If someone were to ask me about teaching abroad, I would recommend Maximo Nivel instantly.

NA

Mackenzie
Costa Rica
University of Arkansas- Fayetteville

Wonderful experience

I had a great time from start to finish. Audra was amazing in every way. She was very passionate about her work and happy to help up find work after the program. I learned so much in such a short a time in ways that I never would have thought of without taking the class. Maximo Nivel in Manuel Antonio also offered a beautiful campus with ocean views and lots of things to do in the area. Pura Vida!!!

Susie
UK
University of Glasgow

My Costa Rica Adventure

So why would you want to do TEFL at Maximo Nivel Costa Rica. Well, the better question would be why you wouldn't want to and I would say this for several reasons. The teachers are great, it gets you actively teaching pretty quickly so you get that practical experience straight off the bat. Also, the way the class is set up, you get to know your fellow students pretty quickly, which is great as you spend a lot of time together. This experience is so much more than just a course. It makes you question yourself, what you are capable of and what you really want out of life. If anything, you get to be in the beautiful location of Manuel Antonio for 4 weeks and I have to say it’s a great place to be! So for me, all that’s left to ask yourself is why am I not there already!

Not at all!

Madalyn
Salt Lake City, Utah
University of Utah

What are you waiting for?!

I can't say enough positive things about Audra and the rest of the Maximo Nivel staff. Even though this course is short and sweet, I feel that I am leaving with the skills to command my own classroom. Audra worked tirelessly to help each student, and provided in-depth feedback in an engaging manner. I recently accepted a teaching job in Latin America thanks to this program! I highly recommend this program to anyone who is considering TEFL!

Lorena
Houston, USA
University of Nebraska- Kearney

Life Changing Experience

By far, this was one of the best experiences ever! In just one month, I learned so much about teaching English, how I can help others succeed, how this certificate benefits, and I also learned a ton about myself. Maximo Nivel in Costa Rica was everything I expected and more! It was literally paradise. Audra and Laura are AMAZING! They're always willing to help no matter what. Audra is also such a great trainer! When I first arrived, I was like, "how in the world am I going to learn to teach when I've never taught in my life?" Now, I feel so prepared, it's like I've been doing it for a while. And it was all thanks to Maximo Nivel COSI, Audra, and Laura! Thank y'all so much for changing my life! I definitely recommend this program to anyone. It will be one of the best decisions ever made! =)

It's PERFECT!

Janeth
University of Nebraska- Kearney

TEFL in Manuel Antonio

Audra and Laura are amazing teachers! The course is intensive but these ladies make it fun! Also the staff at Maximo Nivel are wonderful and always willing to help with anything! The location can't be beat as you are right next to the beach! I would definitely reccomend this course to anyone considering teaching English abroad! It is worth what you pay for and the experience is one of a kind. I feel prepared to teach and am excited for all the opportunities to come after taking this course!

Daniel

Phenomenal Place, Phenomenal Course

My experience has been incredible and I would absolutely recommend this course and location to anyone who may be interested. Audra is a tremendously gifted educator, and a frankly wonderful human being. I am very well prepared to effectively teach our wonderfully complicated language to anyone who may want to learn it. The course itself is no walk in the park, but the delightful manner in which the material is presented makes four weeks of intense study fly by. Just do it!

Audra is so competent and so well prepared that I can't think of anything that I would change.

Erica
Ocala, Florida, USA
University of Florida

Rigorous Course with Awesome Teacher in a Beautiful Place!

The TEFL certification course was quite rigorous! One definitely must earn it, not just receive it. The material was thoroughly presented in an effective manner. Days were packed with class time, homework, reading material, and lesson plans. The books were informative and resourceful. My teacher, Audra, was impressive. Not only was she clearly an expert at teaching grammar, she made it fun. She showed plenty of personality while still being a professional. She had me cracking up laughing every day, all day. Anyone who can make grammar fun, is witty and admirable in my opinion. When I was struggling with the amount of work or feeling discouraged from my mistakes , she pointed me back in a positive direction. She presented the lesson plans just as we were being taught to present them to our future ESL students. She made it look so easy! Having the opportunity to spend our last week doing Practical Teaching with real, Spanish-speaking locals, gave us a chance to apply what we had learned all month. This was the most important part of the course. Real-life experience was necessary to becoming certified. We got a chance to implement everything we had learned, and to present our own lesson plans. After I got over the fear of making mistakes, it became enjoyable. The course taught me how to be prepared with a well-organized, effective lesson plan. By the end of the course, I was comfortable teaching a group of ESL students. It became fun building rapport, managing a classroom, increasing student-talk-time, eliciting information from them, confirming their comprehension, correcting errors, and being relaxed enough to show my personality. The facility itself was outstanding! It was large, very clean, nice landscaping, an enticing snack bar, a kind and helpful staff, air conditioning, wifi, lockers, printers, computer access, and a million-dollar view of the Pacific ocean! I would recommend Maximo Nivel in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica to anyone interested in getting their TEFL certification. Wonderful people, beautiful place, and new, effective teaching skills I can use in the future. Thank you Audra, my teacher, and thank you to the lovely ladies at Maximo Nivel who made me and my dog Rasta feel so welcome during our course attendance (July-August 2017). Thank you for your humor, kindness and joy. Sincerely, Rasta and Erica

By adding me to their staff!!!!!
This program is perfect! I wouldn't mind joining the staff and teaching others what I have learned.

Jasmine
Vienna, Austria

Wonderful experience and staff!

This course was very detailed, intense, and prepares it's participants to teach English effectively! The instructor and staff are very kind, helpful, and attentive to all students' needs! The experience was very fun overall, and is held in a very beautiful setting in a well organized environment. The training is very in depth, and there is a lot of practical experience involved. In the end, all students leave very prepared for their next ventures!

Christina
San Jose
Mississippi State University

Fantastic!

My experience with Maximo Nivel was absolutely wonderful!! The staff is extremely friendly and helpful and our TEFL trainer/director, Audra, was a 12 out of 10!! She cares so much about her students and wants them to succeed. This course is a lot to cover in one month, but she taught everything very practically and efficiently! I was never too overwhelmed with the work load because she always gave us the right materials and tools to succeed. I would 100% recommend taking this course (especially with Audra) if you are thinking about it!

Katrina
Costa rica
University of Oregon

Amazing course and staff!

The past 4 weeks in the Maximo Nivel TEFL course have been absolutely amazing. The staff and other students made this such a welcoming, encouraging and supportive place for my family and I. We are excited for our future but our hearts are also heavy knowing that we will be leaving soon. Also, they have quite a few tourist activities that they help arrange if interested. My husband went white wáter rafting. Thank you everyone.

sabrina
trinidad

Maximo Nivel, Manuel Antonio

I took the accelerate hybrid program at Maximo Nivel, Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. I thought it would have been hard to catch up with my classmates but thanks to an excellent TEFL trainer I was able to understand everything I missed in person. Audra's classes were fun, exciting and enlightening. Maximo Nivel, Manuel Antonio, has a fantastic, friendly and very helpful staff and a nice location! It was a great experience!

Lauren
Clemson University

Fun and knowledgeable

If you are in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica, Audra will make your experience in the class a really fun one! You will learn what you need to know in a very lighthearted way. It is not however without time constraint. Hours after class are required to fulfill your assignments and in spite of the beautiful view from the school, the days can be long. Overall I would definitely recommend this program!

I believe there were a lot of handouts that could have been organized and bound and given to each student as a part of their books.

Kate

SO AMAZING!

This program has evolved my life in a remarkable way. Audra is such a gem! Her spirit is so abundant and uplifting. The amount of support offered during this challenging course is unreal! Audra often stayed after hours to help us with any complications. She answered any questions we had through all hours of the night. I am thankful for the relationships I developed with my peers and the whole staff.
Maximo Nivel in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica changed my life!

Michaela
Xavier University of Ohio

TEFL Course, CR

The TEFL course was challenging and rewarding. The instructors are passionate about their work and offer practical classroom solutions and advice. Through various teaching practicals, observations, and feedback, the instructors create a very hands-on environment. Because it's a 4-week course, the workload seems condensed, but it's very manageable. The most rewarding part is seeing the students understand the material and knowing that they are ready for the next step. Overall, it's a great way to gain teaching experience, learn new techniques, and work with amazing individuals in the classroom!

I paid before program changes happened on the website. I later learned that some of the included amenities (spanish classes, wifi) were modified so that they weren't included in the program fees. It would have been nice to know about these changes so I could have budgeted better.

Marie

TEFL Course, CR

The program is a great way to start a new career or continue practicing a current one. The class is a rewarding experience. The Maximo Nivel website and course-enrollment staff could be more clear. I applied in December, and details were changed in January AFTER I had already paid. This meant that several of the "included program details" I was previously guaranteed did not happen, which can be frustrating on a budget. However, the course itself is really helpful to understand the techniques and tools to teach English as a foreign language!

Keisha

TEFL Manuel Antonio

I loved taking my TEFL in Manuel Antonio! It is such a beautiful location and Maximo Nivel is such a great company. I learned so much through the course and loved my teacher, Audra knows how to keep you engaged and looking forward to your next class ! The staff is great and provide a really friendly and comfortable enviornement. I recommend this program to anyone who loves to travel and enjoys new experiences and truly has a love for teaching ! I loved it!

Catrina
Manuel Antonio
Scripps College

Amazing Hybrid Program

I did the hybrid program, which involved me doing readings and assignments with the assistance of my instructor and joining the class for the final 2 weeks. This flexibility really worked for my schedule. Manuel Antonio is an adorable beach town that was a great place to relax at after the rigorous training every day. My host mom was so amazing and accommodating and I cannot speak highly enough of her cooking. Be prepared for a lot of intense work that improves you so much as a teacher. I learned so much and it was totally worth it and I feel extremely prepared.

Maren

Great Experience

The TEFL class at Maximo Nivel in MA is amazing—Manuel Antonio is gorgeous. Our TEFL trainer Audra was caring, perceptive, funny, helpful, and awesome. It was also a joy getting to befriend some really remarkable classmates. For anyone out there considering taking the plunge and coming to Costa Rica –especially to anyone who is feeling intimidated by the prospect of teaching and being in a foreign country— I was also nervous. It turned out to be a great experience. I'm very grateful to my classmates, Audra, and all of the people who came to participate in our lessons. Highly recommend Maximo to anyone wanting to try/ learn something new. It will be a brilliant adventure. ☺

Robert

Costa Rican Adventures of a TEFL Teacher

Maximo Nivel was above and beyond what I expected. t. Maximo Nivel has done their due diligence in choosing these families that are selected for host stays. My host family is my family now. How many people do you know that can say they have strangers coming in for months at a time to live with them. I am so grateful for my new brothers sis and parents. It was a perfect fit. The real reason that this program was so amazing was because of the amazing teacher I had. Audra was amazing and really made this program and experience awesome. I used to be in the corporate world and didn't have the faintest idea of what the life of a teacher really consisted of. I can now make great lesson plans, know how to really teach information without just narrating to the students. She went above and beyond to convey the course material in a fun and challenging way. I really enjoyed being able to be molded into the teacher I have become and can't wait to add in more of my flare to the amazing blueprint she thought I would respond to as a student. Defiantly not her first rodeo! So if you are on the fence on whether or not this kind of course is worth it, Take that leap of faith and see how well you are paid back with confidence in having the knowledge to go farther. The only thing you can never waste your money on is traveling. Having this amazing course under my belt now is proof of that and an added bonus!

The only thing I have to suggest is that they give the students a little more information on the host families they are with. I know I fell in well with mine but, I had no idea where i was going until I landed in Costa Rica. So that in itself is a little stressful when you are moving to a foreign country for a month.

Felisa
Stockbridge, Ga
Clayton State University

Pura Vida!

When I first started looking for a school that would meet my needs, Maximo Nivel kept popping up in my search inquires. I decided to delve a little further into this program, and I am so glad that I did. From the very start of requesting information, Julia-not sure of her job title, but she was a part of the international program and the reason I eventually choose Maximo Nivel, was very patient and very attentive with answering my many questions. Julia also arranged pick up for my arrival in Costa Rica, provided transportation to my prearranged host family, and was most generous at offering any continuous help if needed.
My first day at Maximo Nivel was no different than the great customer service that Julia had given me; the staff extended the same courtesies. The program at Maxmof Nivel is top notch. I was impressed at how much information was covered in only a 4 week span. The program from my perspective provided:
• Intensive classroom instruction
• An opportunity to observe the teaching skills and strategies by former students of Maximo Nivel
• Techniques to teach English without knowing the mother tongue of the students taught
• How to prepare thorough and in-depth lesson plans
• How to obtain and maintain classroom management
• The opportunity to teach non-English speakers from the community
• Continued support and encouragement
• Life time certification
Audra, the instructor that taught me, was highly knowledgeable, very enthusiastic and energetic. She kept things fun, yet she left no stone un-turned when it came to making sure each of her students was well prepared. I would highly recommend this program to anyone that is serious about wanting to make a difference in the lives of those who want to learn to speak English. Two of the nine students that were in my class had already accepted jobs upon their completion of the program.

Ayanna

TEFL in Manuel Antonio

Taking the TEFL course through Maximo Nivel was so much more than I thought it would be! I did the 4 week program based in Costa Rica and I absolutely recommend taking you TEFL here. My instructor, Audra, was great. She really makes this intensive course fun and possible. The institute itself has most of the resources that you need, and if they don't have something, they'll help you find it somewhere else. The view from the school overlooks the ocean and the mountains and was one of my favorite places to relax. If you have any doubts about taking the TEFL course in Manuel Antonio, don't! They will answer all of your questions and you will definitely learn the key ESL techniques.

More working computers in the computer lab.

Máximo Nivel (Maximum Level)—The Intercultural Center of Latin America

Máximo Nivel is a family-owned, social enterprise founded in 2003. Our three intercultural centers are locally-based organizations focused on international education and cross-cultural experiences. Our programs include: Volunteer Abroad, International Internships, TEFL Certification, and Spanish Language