TEFL Certification in Manuel Antonio Beach, Costa Rica

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel on the beach in Manuel Antonio. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers. Groups are small with 2 to 14 people.

The TEFL Program consists of 12 modules:

- Teaching Listening & Reading
- Teaching English with Games
- Assessing & Testing Learners
- Introduction to international English exams: TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge

Maximo Nivel is internationally accredited and the Maximo Nivel TEFL Certificate is accepted by institutes, language schools, and universities around the world.

Apart from what the others have already suggested, I would also advise that any travel you intend on doing, you are prepared to leave until you've finished or to start beforehand. Manuel Antonio is a beautiful place, and you will certainly have beach time. But don't be fooled! The classes are intensive and require outside-the-classroom prep time. Good luck and have fun!
Thanks so much for your reply. I'd love if you could connect me with them! I'm going to be studying at Maximo in January 2017 and am very keen to teach :)
I would definitely recommend a laptop. You'll need it to work on assignments and lesson plans out of class. The building can get pretty hot, so being able to relocate to cooler locations is a must. Regarding clothes, I wore decent shorts and collared shirts for the classes. For interviews, I would recommend something more business casual.
The cost of the program varies by location and what type of stay you prefer (apartment, hostel, or homestay). I have added a link to the estimated program costs below that you may find helpful. In general, the cost will be somewhere between $2000-$2500, not including your flight. http://www.maximonivel.com/tefl-tesol/prices/

• Benefits 9.5
  • Facilities 8.3
  • Instruction 9.9
  • Difficulty 8.4
  • Job Assistance 9.6
  • Instruction 10
Alex

TEFL at Maximo Nivel Costa Rica

The experience was fantastic! The staff was friendly from the very start providing information and answering all my questions before leaving the country. They helped my journey to Manuel Antonio go smoothly since navigating your way through San Jose can be a daunting task even for experienced travelers. The accommodations were clean and comfortable. Audra the instructor was extremely fun and energetic, but professional and knowledgeable. She was a great resource not only for the class materials, but also for local knowledge, travel, and job placement information. I am very happy with the choice I made for my TEFL certification program.

More stable WiFi in the living accommodations.
ashley

TEFL TO THE MAX AT MAXIMO!

Taking the TEFL certification in Manuel Antonio has been a wonderful (but emotional) experience. After tons of research, I picked Maximo Nivel as my school and I cannot express how happy I am with that decision. I would highly suggest taking it in class instead of online. The location is BEAUTIFUL. Audra is an AWESOME teacher! Her energy and enthusiasm made learning even the most mundane lessons interesting and relatable. She really knows what she is doing.
The practical teaching hours you earn in this class are invaluable to the experience. Audra is also more than willing to help you find a job using your TEFL certification. In fact, she said it is her passion :) I would recommend TEFL at Maximo Nivel in Manuel Antonio to anyone considering TEFL!!

Martia

TEFL Love

The TEFL course with maximo nivel was a once in a life time opportunity that has given me a hugeeeee number of new skills and confidence for life. Although it is challenging and at times potentially overwhelming, our TEFL trainer Audra made it all worthwhile. She has such an infectious personality that you immediately fill better when you are in the room with her. Even when us TEFLER's were feeling the burn of lesson planning, she never once let her energy drop. I highly recommend this programme to anyone even thinking about doing TEFL. There really is something special about this course that'll make you have a whole new appreciation for teachers and the hard work they put into their students!!!!!! Plus living in Manuel Antonio for four weeks, what more could you want.

Makayla

TEFL

I had such a great experience doing the TEFL Certification course. I’m very excited to use my certification to start teaching English. Doing the practical teaching week really helped give me confidence that I knew what I was doing and could get really comfortable in the classroom. My teacher was very energetic and helped make the class exciting and fun. It is a difficult course but they do everything they can to help you be successful.

Eleven

TEFL at Maximo Nivel

I spent a month in Costa Rica having a wonderful experience getting my TEFL certification.I was skeptical at first because i had never traveled out of the country alone but i am so glad i made the decision that i did. I recommend this to anyone who is curious about teaching or simply anyone who wants to better themselves! I learned so much in my month of classes and my instructor and her staff were perfect!

Frayne

Learning in Manuel Antonio!

Truly worthwhile experience! The staff at Maximo Nivel really care and are all excellent. One of the best reasons to go to Maximo Manuel Antonio, besides the surrounding scenery, is the instructor Audra. She will work so hard to help you understand concepts and has great sense of humor. Makes the experience worth it just for her! The school is only 15 minutes from Quepos by bus and 20 minutes from the beach. It is a beautiful place to get a TEFL certification and I am certain you will be embracing the pura vida lifestyle within the month!

Rachel

TEFL Maximo Nivel

Getting my TEFL certification in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica was one of the most incredible experiences I have had thus far. When I first got here, I was terrified. I was homesick and didn't think I could stay abroad. However, on the VERY FIRST DAY, my instructor (Audra) noticed I seemed upset. She asked if I was okay and then asked me to go in her office. I started crying to a person I didn't even know, yet I felt perfectly comfortable doing so. She reassured me on EVERYTHING I was feeling stressed about. I felt so much better knowing I was in a place where everyone genuinely cares about you and your successes. I have never felt more supported in my life until I got to Maximo Nivel. Audra was the best instructor anyone could ever ask for. She taught us so much and made it fun in the process! I looked forward to coming to class every day, because I knew I would enjoy myself and I would grow as both a teacher and a person. If you are even considering doing this program, JUST DO IT! There is always going to be something holding you back from an experience as new as this one. But I promise, you will not regret it. If anything, you may regret not doing it. Take it from someone who was absolutely terrified and unsure if they even could do this. Let me tell you, you can do this and you will be so happy you did! Thank you Maximo Nivel for the memories, job opportunities, friends, and growth I have experienced while being here! Pura Vida :)

Stephanie

Do it!

From the moment I arrived, everyone at Maximo has made me feel comfortable and welcome. The TEFL course was structured well and I left feeling confident in my abilities as an English teacher. Audra is an incredible instructor! She truly cares about each of her students and is always available for questions and advice. It was worth every penny to have the hands on practical teaching experience no feedback in the beautiful Manuel, Antonio !

Cassidy

My Experience Getting my TEFL/TESOL

I had the most incredible experience getting my TEFL/TESOL certificate in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica at COSI. My school had a warm atmosphere and all of the staff was supportive and kind. My teacher was the most delightful and helpful person, and made the experience that much better. The beach was only a 5 minute bus ride from school, and was a perfect get away whenever I needed it. Although the course moved quickly, I never felt like I didn't have proper guidance. Finding the "balance" of work and life was an additional valuable lesson I learned along the way. I am so grateful to have had this opportunity, and I encourage anyone interested in this journey to use Maximo Nivel!

More affordable.
Jen

Strive for Excellence

I walked into this program having no idea if this was going to be for me or not. After meeting Audra and observing her teaching style, I realized, this may not be so bad. Her upbeat nature was naturally encouraging and the way you are taught here makes things feel super comfortable. These two pieces really switched up my attitude about getting my certificate. It was no longer just about getting it, but about striving for the level of excellence. The way this program is structured, it really motivates you to succeed to your best ability. They truly care about you and you see this in the way they give up their time to help you. Though it is an intense program, it was a wonderful experience and I am glad I had this opportunity. I can only imagine how fun it would be to actually work for them. Maybe one day my journey will bring me back here.

It would be nice to maybe make it 5 weeks just to be able to have a little more breathing space as the end is pretty heavy loaded.
katherine

Bomb.com

This course was fuego. Audra's the world's greatest teacher and Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio is the bees knees. I cannot believe the amount we have learned and accomplished and I'm so thankful I found this course! The practical teaching hours were amazing to experience, I can't believe that I kind of feel like a teacher now. The people are amazing and all the little side activities of salsa and wine and paint nights and such have just been so much fun. It's been a whirlwind and I an so sad it's over.

if it was longer that'd be nice. I don't want to leave
Emily

Maximo Nivel Experience

Job placement was helpful, but generally we were re-directed to organizations that work specifically with job placement - still very helpful! The building has a beautiful view.
Overall, I would not have wanted to go anywhere else but Maximo! Practical teaching week gives you great exposure to real-life teaching preparation. Our instructor was great and took time to help all students individually. Constant feedback was great for self-motivation and general improvement. I would absolutely recommend Maximo to family and friends.

Kyra

Incredible Experience

Hands down, one of the best experiences I have had. Audra is an AMAZING teacher!! She is so passionate about what she is teaching and it is incredibly contagious. I came into this program with very little confidence in being an English teacher. As I sit here writing this review a month later ... I feel like I am ready to take on the world and pursue a TEFL career with confidence and excitement! I HIGHLY recommend this program if you are looking to be a TEFL teacher. If you are on the fence about it all (like I was when I started), I guarantee you that your mind will change by the time you finish the program. A huge thank you to Audra and Maximo Nivel for a truly unforgettable experience! You guys are AMAZING!

Kelsey

100% Worth It

I had just graduated from college in May and knew I wanted to teach English abroad. There were so many programs and places to choose from and I felt overwhelmed, until I got in contact with Maximo Nivel. From the moment I chose this program they have been nothing but wonderful. They responded to my ridiculous email questions that same day, provided me with all the necessary information before I arrived, picked me up from the airport, bought my bus tickets and made sure I was safe at my living destination all before class even started. The month I lived in Costa Rica truly changed my life. I know that people say that all the time, but it really was an experience I will never forget. My teacher, Audra, somehow made hours in the classroom learning about grammar extremely fun, AND I gained the confidence and knowledge to become an English teacher. The skills and strategies that I learned throughout this TEFL course are skills that are going to benefit me professionally as well as personally. It was definitely 110% worth every minute, dollar, and travel minute. If someone were to ask me about teaching abroad, I would recommend Maximo Nivel instantly.

NA
Mackenzie

Wonderful experience

I had a great time from start to finish. Audra was amazing in every way. She was very passionate about her work and happy to help up find work after the program. I learned so much in such a short a time in ways that I never would have thought of without taking the class. Maximo Nivel in Manuel Antonio also offered a beautiful campus with ocean views and lots of things to do in the area. Pura Vida!!!

About Maximo Nivel

Máximo Nivel (Maximum Level)—The Intercultural Center of Latin America

Máximo Nivel is a family-owned, social enterprise founded in 2003. Our three intercultural centers are locally-based organizations focused on international education and cross...