• Costa Rica

Tandem Conversation Program
Office-wide WiFi and computer lab
Salsa dance classes
Cooking classes
Free coffee and tea and on-site snack bar
Institute is open 7 days/week
Airfare Travel Insurance
Feb 15, 2022
Aug 27, 2022
26 travelers are looking at this program

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel on the beach in Manuel Antonio. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers.

The TEFL Program consists of 14 modules:
11. Teaching Listening & Reading
12. Assessing Learners
13. Introduction to International English Exams
14. Practical Teaching

Maximo Nivel is internationally accredited and the Maximo Nivel TEFL Certificate is accepted by institutes, language schools, and universities around the world.

Program Highlights

• Academic Rigor 8.8
  • Job Assistance 9.5
Beverly

Memorable experience!

My experience with living in Costa Rica was one that I will never forget. I ate delicious food and stayed with an amazing host family. Participating in the TEFL Program at Manuel Antonio was great, too. I met wonderful people, who I now consider lifelong friends, and learned new techniques for teaching English. My trainer, Jackie, made sure we stayed on top of our work and did our best when it came time to teach our lessons. The staff at Maximo Nivel welcomed me and were supportive throughout my program. Thank you for a memorable experience!

Pros
  • Maximo Nivel had a spectacular view of the ocean.
  • I enjoyed great food from my host family and from the free cooking classes.
  • The staff at Maximo was super friendly and supportive.
Cons
  • There was too much work crammed in a short amount of time.
  • We used a lot of paper because there was no technology.
  • We never taught children/teens but only focused on adults.
Raejean

Amazing Program

This was an amazing program; you do not need to have a background in education/teaching to take the TEFL program at Maximo Nivel. I completed 4 weeks of intense studying, teaching locals and learning different methods to become an effective teacher. The course is for all learners and the TEFL trainer in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica was amazing. (She knows what she’s doing) My experience is unforgettable and positive. I had amazing classmates and the staff at Maximo Nivel was extremely helpful when I was in need. I recommend this program to anyone who wants another skill in education or a career change.

Pros
  • Full experience of Costa Rican culture
  • Build long lasting relationships
  • Becoming an effective TEFL instructor.
Cons
  • A lot of homework & readings in short amount of time
Sarah

Incredible Experience

I truly cannot recommend this program enough. I went in with high expectations and yet all my expectations were exceeded. From the gorgeous scenery and wildlife to the hearts of the staff, I was impressed. Everyone was helpful, supportive and easy to work with. The class itself was engaging and rigorous. I learned more than I could have ever anticipated. Between our instructor and the practical teaching experience, I feel prepared for my job as a TEFL teacher. And, yes, I was able to secure a job before graduating.

Pros
  • Practical teaching
  • Classroom knowledge
  • Cultural experience
Yadira

Magical

I was part of the TEFL Hybrid program, so I completed my first 2 weeks of the program online, and joined the rest of the group in Costa Rica foe weeks 3 & 4. It takes organization, dedication, self motivation, and communication to successfully complete the online portion. You do have a trainer available to help you and grade you/give you feedback, but it does require a lot of self discipline as well. Once you're with your onsite classmates, trainer, and students, the real fun begins! Everything you have read about, learned, and continue to learn, will be put in action! It's challenging indeed, but the support from classmates, trainers, support staff, community, even the students themselves are so supportive and dedicated...it's just a magical experience that I DEFINITELY do not regret!! My experience came with additional personal challenges that I faced during the program, and still I do not regret it. In fact, I would do it all over again the same exact way. Obtaining my TEFL Certification from Maximo Nivel-Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica was one of the best decisions I have made in my entire life. You can do it too! Pura Vida!!

Pros
  • Learn new strategies & techniques to support Language Learners
  • Lots of opportunities to immerse into the culture
  • Meeting of people from all over the world, from different backgrounds, different ages, and beyond
Marlie

AMAZING WORK AND EXPERIENCE

Doing this program was the best idea I had in all my six months abroad.
The work is rigorous but it definitely prepares you for a career as a teacher. In four weeks you are given the absolute best in terms of materials and knowledge needed to become an ESL teacher. I grew in ways I never could have imagined that I would and ways I definitely needed to. The coursework is not difficult, it is just fast paced and rigorous. This is not a program for those that are not motivated. Trainer Jackie is a true gift to the program and I could not have survived without her.

Samara

TEFL review

Amazing course!! I was unbelievable how much I learnt and produced in 4 weeks, super organised course, thought out and we really covered everything that we needed to become a TEFL teacher. Jackie my TEFL trainer is incredible, she is inspiring, supportive and knowledgeable in every area! The course was tough but I was never bored!! I would definitely recommend! I feel totally prepared to go out into the world as an independent teacher whilst knowing I still have academic support whenever I need it! :)

Hannah

Amazing TEFL course!

What an amazing experience I had at Maximo Nivel!
This TEFL course definitely warrants a lot of hard work, but the quality of teaching, staff input and excellent facilities make it all worth it.
If you are willing to put the effort in, you will both come away with the experience of a lifetime in one of the most beautiful countries in the world and develop teaching skills that anyone can benefit from; from the very beginner to most experienced teachers. Everyone can take something away from this course.
It’s intense, but 100000% worth it. You won’t regret studying TEFL here in Manuel Antonio. Thank you Jackie and Maximo!

Pros
  • Teaching
  • Facilities
  • Job Assistance
Cons
  • A LOT of work
Avery

This program changed my life for the better

I loved the TEFL certification program at Máximo Nivel in Manuel Antonio. The program is rigorous and it’s definitely not a vacation, but by the end of the four weeks you will definitely look back and realized you earned a lot more than a certification. For me, I learned many life lessons, made life long friends, and had an experience that changed my life forever. If you have a passion for teaching, for experiencing a new environment, and for expanding your world view, then this program is definitely for you and I promise you will love it.

Pros
  • Great value for price
  • Excellent staff and students
  • The perfect expat location in Costa Rica

Apart from what the others have already suggested, I would also advise that any travel you intend on doing, you are prepared to leave until you've finished or to start beforehand. Manuel Antonio is a beautiful place, and you will certainly have beach time. But don't be fooled! The classes are intensive and require outside-the-classroom prep time. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks so much for your reply. I'd love if you could connect me with them! I'm going to be studying at Maximo in January 2017 and am very keen to teach :)

I would definitely recommend a laptop. You'll need it to work on assignments and lesson plans out of class. The building can get pretty hot, so being able to relocate to cooler locations is a must. Regarding clothes, I wore decent shorts and collared shirts for the classes. For interviews, I would recommend something more business casual.

The cost of the program varies by location and what type of stay you prefer (apartment, hostel, or homestay). I have added a link to the estimated program costs below that you may find helpful. In general, the cost will be somewhere between $2000-$2500, not including your flight. http://www.maximonivel.com/tefl-tesol/prices/