TEFL Certification in Manuel Antonio Beach, Costa Rica

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel on the beach in Manuel Antonio. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers. Groups are small with 2 to 14 people.

The TEFL Program consists of 12 modules:

- Teaching Listening & Reading
- Teaching English with Games
- Assessing & Testing Learners
- Introduction to international English exams: TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge

Maximo Nivel is internationally accredited and the Maximo Nivel TEFL Certificate is accepted by institutes, language schools, and universities around the world.

Apart from what the others have already suggested, I would also advise that any travel you intend on doing, you are prepared to leave until you've finished or to start beforehand. Manuel Antonio is a beautiful place, and you will certainly have beach time. But don't be fooled! The classes are intensive and require outside-the-classroom prep time. Good luck and have fun!
Thanks so much for your reply. I'd love if you could connect me with them! I'm going to be studying at Maximo in January 2017 and am very keen to teach :)
I would definitely recommend a laptop. You'll need it to work on assignments and lesson plans out of class. The building can get pretty hot, so being able to relocate to cooler locations is a must. Regarding clothes, I wore decent shorts and collared shirts for the classes. For interviews, I would recommend something more business casual.
The cost of the program varies by location and what type of stay you prefer (apartment, hostel, or homestay). I have added a link to the estimated program costs below that you may find helpful. In general, the cost will be somewhere between $2000-$2500, not including your flight. http://www.maximonivel.com/tefl-tesol/prices/

• Benefits 9.5
  • Facilities 8.3
  • Instruction 9.9
  • Academic Rigor 8.3
  • Job Assistance 9.6
  • Instruction 10
Heather

Serious Fun

This class was far more in-depth and effective than I could have ever imagined. While I did get a chance to enjoy the beach and rainforest, this was an intensive course that prepared me to teach English language learners. I already hold a master's degree in education, and I have about a decade's experience working in schools. But this course taught me techniques I've never before even touched upon. Audra is an incredible trainer. Her energy is unmatched, as are her wit and ingenuity. She and her assistant, Nicole, take the time to meet with trainees individually on a regular basis. She was incredibly clear about what she needed from us in terms of our assignments and practical teaching, and more importantly, she knew what we needed to do to best teach our learners. Finally, she made the course fun! If you are having trouble deciding where to get your TEFL certificate, the team at Manuel Antonio is the one to work with. Plus, the view from the school is beautiful (Pacific Ocean and mountains)--a toucan flew right up to me while I was on the school's patio! I can't believe this course was only four weeks long; it was such an immersive experience.

Grant

Great course

I had a really good time in manuel antonio. The course isnt easy, and you will spend lots of time doing work on assignments, leason plans, and teaching prep, but it is worth it. The course gives you 2 three day weekends we used to travel, and on other weekends hungout around the town or at the beautiful beaches/natural parks. Our instructor Audra was a blast, and really fun person who kept the class fun, interesting, but also laid back. She understood that this experience is about fun too! Overall, had a great time and will miss manuel antonio. If you want the best burger in town, go to the burger joint next to express burrito. Fabian will hook it up with an ultra.

Maybe more free time for traveling
Shaefer

TEFLawless Month!

I enrolled in the TEFL certification course as a way to travel after college. But I ended up learning so much in just four, short weeks. For anybody interested in TEFL, Maximo Nivel in Manuel Antonio is the place to do it. The staff is amazing and Audra, the instructor, is the best! The class is challenging, mainly because of the great view from the building. There is a lot of work involved but you will have free time to enjoy the beach too.

Shaefer

I am leaving a smarter person

This month has been amazing and I learned more than I ever thought possible. I came in with little knowledge about TEFL and teaching and I am leaving with so much new information. I am blessed to have spent the month with Audra absorbing all of the new information and then the opportunity to have a week of practical teaching was amazing. The people that I spent the course with made everything so fun, even grammar week, and taking the course while in the jungle of Costa Rica was a huge bonus.

Natalie

I had the time of my life! And I owe it all to them.

This course was very challenging but so worth it. It was a crazy four weeks but I learned so much. The staff is amazing and the environment is so welcoming. Even during rainy season in Costa Rica, they kept us busy with activities and opportunities to do fun things. I have truly enjoyed my time here in this tiny tropical jungle of a town. I made so many connections here and they will last a lifetime. I can't wait to see where life and TEFL will take me.

They are currently updated their textbooks and teacher references and supplies and I think this alone will vastly improve the program and how they teach English.
Sierra

Awesome month in a neat spot!

The course was wonderful, really interesting and engaging, and Audra is the best! She’s super knowledgeable and understands the challenges and perks of living abroad. She’s also a wonderful all around teacher! Being able to both observe and get some hand on teaching experience really prepared all of us for a future of teaching abroad. Audra has also been incredibly helpful to everyone looking for a job directly after the class. Awesome month!

Morgan

Pura Vida

The TEFL course at the Manuel Antonio location was fabulous in every sense of the word. The curriculum, the assignments, observations, etc. are essential to the teaching English experience-- the hands-on approach follows the logic of practice is perfect. The instructor Audra is incredible because she is knowledgeable, dedicated, helpful, extremely available, and fun (you best believe that last descriptor is important during grammar week). When I was doing research on my TEFL program, I wasn't able to find any negative comments, critiques, or criticisms. That's because ''this is the Cadillac of TEFL courses'' [some of Audra's first words to us] and you absolutely get the quality you pay for.

Dave

Maximo Nivel TEFL rocks

It was everything I hoped it would be and more. After taking a 100 hour online TEFL program with a prestigious university, I still didn’t have the confidence or skill set to go into a classroom. Today I leave Manuel Antonio a teacher. If you have ever wanted to teach English abroad taking the hands-on TEFL course in Manuel Antonio is the place to do it. The beach is wonderful and offers a great balance to all of the hard work in store for you.
When I first came across the opportunity to take the TEFL course in Costa Rica I was sceptical of the overwhelmingly positive comments and almost didn’t take the opportunity because of it. I am so glad I did though. The course is top notch and Audra, the TEFL trainer in Manuel Antonio, is nothing short of spectacular. She is a force to be reckoned with. No sugar coating here, but she will take you under her wing until you are ready to fly yourself. Failure is not an option. For me, she exemplifies what it means to be an educator a mentor and a friend. You will just have to meet her to understand. Pura Vida!

I highly recommend this course. If you're serious about becoming a teacher then this is a great course to get you there.
Juliana

Pura Vida

The last four weeks at Maximo Nivel have been some of the best of my life. Not only is Manuel Antonio a beautiful location with amazing people, but it also welcoming and culturally rich. Ticos are warm, friendly, and helpful. Taking the TEFL certification course in a beautiful place only made the experience even more magical. The actual TEFL course was intense, fun, challenging, interesting, and useful. Audra Wooldridge is an amazing teacher and person. She cares for her students and teaches with genuine enthusiasm and passion. It obvious that she is committed to her work and loves her job. The course is a whirlwind and every moment is used wisely. Every lesson, observation, writing assignment, and discussion is purposeful and meaningful. There is no fluff. It's all real. Even having been a high school Spanish teacher, this course has challenged me and taught me so many useful techniques and skills that I am ready to use and implement. Thank you, Audra and Maximo Nivel for making my dreams come true!

Julia

It will be the best 4 weeks you've ever had!

Taking this TEFL certification course has been one of the best decisions I've ever made! I have met so many wonderful people and have gotten to enjoy the nature and beauty of Costa Rica. My classmates and I worked very hard through the entirety of the course, but it was so worth it. Big thanks to our amazing instructor Audra - she made the course (even classes about grammar) so exciting and interesting for all of us. I'm looking forward to using this certification in the near future after graduating college! If you've EVER wanted to learn to teach English, this is the place to do it!!!

Mia

Amazing program!

I loved my time here in Manuel Antonio. Maximo Nivel exceeded my expectations in every way. This course is challenging and so worth it! Audra makes it really engaging and she is by far one of the best teachers I have ever had. The Manuel Antonio location is absolutely beautiful and I enjoyed going to the beach almost every day. If you are on the fence about whether or not to take this course, do it! I am SO glad I did and I'm starting my new job in San Jose because of it!

James

Awesome Course

Loved my experience at Maximo Nivel, Costa Rica! I am sad to say goodbye to all the wonderful staff who work there, you are all darlings. Even though I couldn´t speak a lick of Spanish and came not really knowing what I was letting myself in for, everyone was very patient with me and accommodating. The host family experience was fantastic, I´ll definitely miss them a lot! Staying with a local family made my experience in Costa Rica so special and taught me a lot about Latino culture. Overall I can´t fault Maximo Nivel for their professionalism, positive attitude and enthusiasm about what they do. Would recommend to anyone looking to do a TEFL course for sure. God bless you Audra, you´re an inspiration to us all. Hope to see you all again sometime soon! Pura Vida Hombres. 🤙🕺☀️

Haani

Prepare to Grow! Beautiful Experience! Audra is a Rockstar! 100% Worth It!

I had no idea what I was getting into when I started this TEFL program. I was a bit overwhelmed by the newness of everything when I arrived to Manuel Antonio but the staff is outstanding and instantly made me feel very taken care of.

The course load gets heavy (but manageable) by the third week so be prepared to work hard! I was recently leafing through my final portfolio, surprised by how much material we covered AND by how much I learned about myself. The course offers plenty of practical teaching experience and I learned more about HOW to teach in four weeks than I did during my entire Linguistics/TEFL program in college. Amazing, right?

You will not find a better TEFL instructor than Audra! She made the course- including grammar- so engaging and fun with her hilarious anecdotes and charming, quirky personality. Despite her busy schedule, any time I had a question regarding anything, Audra was always an email away -and still is. She works extremely hard and genuinely cares about each and every student.

I look forward to teaching in San Jose over the next six months : )

My apartment was pretty expensive!
John

TEFEL in Manuel Antonio - EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS!

Are you thinking about enrolling in the TEFEL Certification Course offered by Máximo Nivel in Manuel Antonio? I just completed the 4 week course and I give it my absolute highest recommendation! The lead instructor, Audra Wooldridge, is a fabulous teacher. She is very strong on content (you will learn A LOT and work hard!) and brings her engaging, dynamic, and fun personality to class each day. With her guidance and enthusiasm, our group of 12 developed a unique group chemistry that helped all of us work together and learn from one another. Audra is supported by a very competent and friendly staff at Máximo Nivel in Manuel Antonio. In addition, the support we received from New York based Yvonne prior to our trip was first rate!

Asha

Great Challenge, Great Opportunities, Better Person

Hello! Want to learn how to TEFL? You've come to the best organisation. Ok I only did it once, but when last have you had an experience with absolutely no regrets? Thats how good this course was! In just 4 weeks, I have grown as a person and I have an invaluable that I have already begun using and will continue using for the rest of my life. Not to mention, the lifetime job placement? Who else does that?!!
The staff are very supportive, Audra, Laura, Karen, McKenzie, Kate, all lovely people who want you to succeed! Though the course is challenging, it is worth it. Learning a new language is never easy, so as a teacher, you must also go through the challenge.
Audra is absolutely the best! She makes the large amount of work very doable, we chew and swallow in small chunks. She is the perfect example of how to TEFL, so observe her from Day One and you'll see she's the real thing!
Do you want to travel and work? Do you prefer a life with no regrets? Looking for a change from your daily monotony? Look no further, Maximo Nivel, Costa Rica, TEFL Certification. Choose this course and Make. It. Happen.

About Maximo Nivel

Máximo Nivel (Maximum Level)—The Intercultural Center of Latin America

Máximo Nivel is a family-owned, social enterprise founded in 2003. Our three intercultural centers are locally-based organizations focused on international education and cross...