TEFL Certification in Manuel Antonio Beach, Costa Rica

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Maximo Nivel has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

The view!
The view!
March 2017
March 2017
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Cooking class at Cosi
Sunset in Manuel Antonio

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel on the beach in Manuel Antonio. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers. Groups are small with 2 to 14 people.

The TEFL Program consists of 12 modules:

- Teaching Listening & Reading
- Teaching English with Games
- Assessing & Testing Learners
- Introduction to international English exams: TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge

Maximo Nivel is internationally accredited and the Maximo Nivel TEFL Certificate is accepted by institutes, language schools, and universities around the world.

Travel Grants Available for a Limited Time!

Ready to work as an English teacher abroad? Register today for our award winning TEFL Certification in Costa Rica, Guatemala and Peru and apply for a special travel grant.

Apart from what the others have already suggested, I would also advise that any travel you intend on doing, you are prepared to leave until you've finished or to start beforehand. Manuel Antonio is a beautiful place, and you will certainly have beach time. But don't be fooled! The classes are intensive and require outside-the-classroom prep time. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks so much for your reply. I'd love if you could connect me with them! I'm going to be studying at Maximo in January 2017 and am very keen to teach :)

I would definitely recommend a laptop. You'll need it to work on assignments and lesson plans out of class. The building can get pretty hot, so being able to relocate to cooler locations is a must. Regarding clothes, I wore decent shorts and collared shirts for the classes. For interviews, I would recommend something more business casual.

The cost of the program varies by location and what type of stay you prefer (apartment, hostel, or homestay). I have added a link to the estimated program costs below that you may find helpful. In general, the cost will be somewhere between $2000-$2500, not including your flight. http://www.maximonivel.com/tefl-tesol/prices/

• Benefits 9.5
  • Facilities 8.3
  • Instruction 9.9
  • Academic Rigor 8.5
  • Job Assistance 9.7
  • Instruction 10
Maia

TEFL November 2019 class

This was a very well structured program that I believe everyone who really has the desire to connect with other people through a leadership role, like TEFL, is capable of completing this program. You learn so much through textbook and through experience. It’s a really fun program, you really bind with your classmates, Audra was an amazing mentor and teacher! This whole experience was amazing, from the staff and everyone you meet along your journey while completing this course are memories and teachings I’ll have forever.

Don’t let anxiety stop you from going on this trip! It was an amazing life experience I will always keep.
Luis Gabriel

Gabriel at Manuel Antonio

Hello to whoever is reading this, I am Gabriel as you read and I'm from the beautiful country of Costa Rica, non native speaker, but I love to speak in English. This time that I spent in Manuel Antonio was incredible. Meeting people form different part of the world, we all speaking English, communicating with each other with humility for the other people lives, and believes. I had just an amazing time, with beautiful sunny days, learning how to Teach English to Foreign Learners. The classes were delighltfully good, the way that Audra (the TEFL teacher in CR) taught us was excellent. She helped me a lot to open my perspective in how a person can feel what I had experienced when I learned the language. She recreate a lot of what it feels like. I think she is a the right person to teach you how to do it kindly. At the end teaching English is helping people. I hope that whoever who decides to come to my Costa Rica, come with open arms to learn what this country and the people can teach you.

If you feel that you need it and you can have it, go for it. Go hard or go home.
Heather

Keep Calm. TEFL It Out & Pura Vida!

My experience in the TEFL course at Manual Antonio was Awesome. I worked hard, but it was well worth it. Every hour of class was a meaningful experience. As a retired high school social studies teacher, I had hoped for just such an experience and was not disappointed. My TEFL class jelled into a collaborative community both in and out of the classroom which enhanced my time here. I had a built in support system from all over the world to work and play with. And lastly, the director of this well orchestrated show, our teacher Audra Wooldridge. Audra is a special bred. She loves her job and it shows. Every time she steps into the classroom, answers her an email or gives a student feedback, she gives 110%. Her experience, knowledge, wit, and humor make her TEFL class a one of a kind experience.

I highly recommend this program to anyone who loves to learn, immerse themselves in foreign cultures and teach english!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have liked a local tour of Quepos' running options and trails early on. I found them by my last week here! Also, a more detailed schedule of activities in Quepos.
Kathy

Exceeded Expectations

My husband and I have wanted to do a cultural immersion experience abroad for a long time. We also enjoy helping people, so the TEFL opportunity seemed like a good way to do both and be able to support ourselves at the same time. I'm 49 and he's 57, so we weren't sure how well we would fit into the TEFL class, but have enough experience under our belts to feel comfortable making a go of it. Honestly, we thought we would be the only people over 40 in the class, and were pleasantly surprised to find out half of our class of 8 were over 40 with us smack in the middle, and the other half ranged from mid twenties to early thirties. All were here to learn and grow as well as travel and experience a new culture; with that in common, we've been a tight-knit group, enjoying working and playing together and supporting one another through this valuable, but challenging experience.

As for the TEFL experience, I can't say enough about how great Maximo's program is or how amazing our trainer, Audra, has been. From the moment we arrived (and for nearly a year prior in planning), we've been fully supported. Andy, or representative prior to arrival, answered about a thousand questions by email and spent a full hour on the phone with us. Karen made sure we got to our destination and had a nice apartment lined up for us with a wonderful landlady (we enjoyed her hospitality and also a regular visit from sweet, adorable spider monkeys from the surrounding jungle). Audra kept us working our butts off with the TEFL class, but her fantastic energy, humor and encouragement, as well as superior teaching skills, brought out the best teachers in us and taught us more than I ever thought I could learn in a month's time. She gave us the tools to be excellent teachers, as long as we apply her advice and continue to learn and grow in our practical skills. Abby, Nella and Natty helped with quick-turnaround printing of lesson plans and other materials. And Noiley showed great hospitality with coffee and tea and warm, friendly conversation.

I could go on and on about how great the experience was, but the final proof is in the pudding, so they say. Not even two weeks into the class, Audra provided a plethora of job seeking information along with contacts for those she knew personally, and she reviewed our resumes to help us give them an international appeal. My husband and I applied two weeks ago and already have jobs lined up starting January 3rd. Area schools and organizations have a high regard for Maximo Nivel's training of teachers and Audra's recommendation was gold, making getting a job so much easier. This will be my first teaching job, and that's a little scary, but thanks to the on-site practical teaching experience I know I can do it. I am so grateful to Audra and Maximo Nivel for helping us realize our dream of living and working abroad.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The very first weekend after our class started I had to come up with a mini lesson plan to actually teach on Monday AND read a LOT out of our text books. I felt completely overwhelmed with the challenge of the class. I overcame it by taking one bite at a time, and by lifting my spirits with Beach Church - yes, church on the beach! Beautiful setting and wonderful people helped me to feel God's presence and gave me peace. Honestly, though the course was a lot of work and extremely challenging, I never felt overwhelmed again after that. Audra, our trainer, gave us encouragement every step of the way and made sure we believed we were going to make it through.
Atiya

Bang for your Buck

Hands down the best decision I've ever made. I'm so glad I got my certification in person rather than online/hybrid. The coursework is rigorous and is designed to push you to become a high quality EFL teacher. By the end of the course, you're teaching one hour lessons every day. The school is in a beautiful location, overlooking the beaches and mountains. It was like being in paradise. After working hard all day, be prepared to also work in the evenings to prepare lesson plans, self reflections, or teaching observation papers. This course requires a lot of multi tasking, a skill necessary for teaching. Although it was difficult, I wouldn't have had it any other way. I feel confident in my ability moving forward to teaching English. If you're trying to decide on a TEFL program - this is it.

Be ready to give 100%. This course is just as demanding as it is rewarding.
Kaitlyn

My happiness project

I am a student from Canada who is half way through her Elementary Education degree. I chose to come to Maximo Nivel because I had already traveled to Costa Rica and I fell in love with the culture and people here. This program was difficult but it really pushed me to become a better teacher. I am so excited to follow my passion and I look forward to all the connections I will make in the future because of Maximo Nivel. None of this would be possible without the help of Audra, the best instructor I could ask for. She encouraged me to fix my mistakes and I am leaving comfortable in my ability to teach English. I am so happy that I chose Maximo Nivel because it has been a fantastic learning experience that I will always treasure. I encourage you to follow your guts and take the jump in your teaching career.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I was very nervous the first time I stood up in front of adult learners, but as I started to talk I instantly felt comfortable in my surroundings. I encourage others to do the things that are nerve -racking, as you will find out how great you are at overcoming things that you did not think were possible.
Maggie

TEFL in Manuel Antonio

I had just graduated from college with majors in Hispanic Linguistics, International Studies and Non-Profit Management when I decided to sign up for the TEFL program in Manuel Antonio. I wasn't entirely ready for a full-time job in the States quite yet, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to do a "gap year" in between graduating and getting a full time job back home. Latin America is one of my favorite places to travel and Manuel Antonio is a beautiful beach town in Costa Rica. I had no teaching experience before the program and really didn't know much about English grammar. During the course you learn how to teach effectively, how to lesson plan, English grammar, C.V/resume building and so much more. Maximo Nivel helped me get a job and now I am currently teaching in San Jose for 6 months too. Overall, I highly recommend this program!

I would recommend learning as much Spanish before you go because it helps you live in the country and helps you understand/connect with your students.
Haley

Professional and all around delightful experience

I loved my time as a TEFL student with Audra Wooldridge. She challenged us, encouraged us, and motivated us to be the best teachers that we can be. Maximo Nivel is an incredibly supportive and professional company, and I would recommend many people to take this course. I learned so much about teaching and myself that I so much appreciate. What a great and helpful staff. 20/10! They provide coffee and have snacks and drinks for purchase. I really felt comfortable and supported in every way. It has a beautiful view over the ocean, and monkeys and iguanas hanging out around the building. It's a very beautiful place to study if you don't mind the heat. This was a super interesting program all in all, and I have made lifelong friendships! I am so grateful!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Teaching my first lesson. I overcame this fear by just getting up there and teaching. Its a process that you definitely learn as you go. We learned together, and came out stronger on the other side.