TEFL Certification in Manuel Antonio Beach, Costa Rica

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel on the beach in Manuel Antonio. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers. Groups are small with 2 to 14 people.

The TEFL Program consists of 12 modules:

- Teaching Listening & Reading
- Teaching English with Games
- Assessing & Testing Learners
- Introduction to international English exams: TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge

Maximo Nivel is internationally accredited and the Maximo Nivel TEFL Certificate is accepted by institutes, language schools, and universities around the world.

Apart from what the others have already suggested, I would also advise that any travel you intend on doing, you are prepared to leave until you've finished or to start beforehand. Manuel Antonio is a beautiful place, and you will certainly have beach time. But don't be fooled! The classes are intensive and require outside-the-classroom prep time. Good luck and have fun!
Thanks so much for your reply. I'd love if you could connect me with them! I'm going to be studying at Maximo in January 2017 and am very keen to teach :)
I would definitely recommend a laptop. You'll need it to work on assignments and lesson plans out of class. The building can get pretty hot, so being able to relocate to cooler locations is a must. Regarding clothes, I wore decent shorts and collared shirts for the classes. For interviews, I would recommend something more business casual.
The cost of the program varies by location and what type of stay you prefer (apartment, hostel, or homestay). I have added a link to the estimated program costs below that you may find helpful. In general, the cost will be somewhere between $2000-$2500, not including your flight. http://www.maximonivel.com/tefl-tesol/prices/

• Benefits 9.5
  • Facilities 8.3
  • Instruction 9.9
  • Academic Rigor 8.3
  • Job Assistance 9.6
  • Instruction 10
Caitlyn

I Should Have Jumped Sooner!

I hope to give some details on my personal experience, and on things that I was looking for in a review before I did TEFL.

I only wish that I would have jumped into this opportunity & experience sooner than I did. I found out about TEFL about 3 years ago, and dreamed and planned...and dreamed & planned. The desire came back around a year ago as well, and for all of life's reasons it wasn't my time to go yet. THEN, November 2018 became official--I was on a plane to Costa Rica, had a homestay set-up in San Jose for my first night, where I woke up to find 3 lovely other students that would be on my journey with me. I would then travel off to Manuel Antonio to take my TEFL course with Maximo Nivel/COSI. Our instructor Audra was hands-down INCREDIBLE. She was not only very knowledgeable and educated but also extremely easy to learn from and get along with. I said it then, and I'll say it again, this course could have been real dang dry and boring, but not with the lovely, energetic, & hilarious prof. Audra in the room! Grammar & literally everything else was 'Fun, Fresh, & Frisky!' My 8 other cohorts and I effortlessly bonded with one-another and sometimes laughed 'till tears in class. This made it easy to retain the information we learned and it kept us engaged in the sometimes grueling 8 hour class days. I'm not going to lie, the course isn't for the faint of heart. It is solidly 150 hours of learning, 40 hour weeks of in-class work, time studying outside of class and a whole week of practical teaching that you will be so grateful for. IT IS SO WORTH THE WORK AND THE TIME. I've never been a big lover of school, but this is the most motivated and best effort that I have given to formal learning--it's the best kind. You will come out the other end alive, and more knowledgeable and experienced than when you went in. Audra doesn't let you go down without a fight (or you know, AT ALL).

I came to this course being shy, hating public speaking, not even sure if I wanted to teach, and not a clue with what I wanted to do with my life. I made it through, I made incredible friends, enjoyed my local Tico Family, loved the heck out of beautiful Costa Rica and I am so grateful that I had Audra and the entire Maximo team on my side, for support & encouragement throughout my month with them. It's very organized, goes like a breeze and there's always a staff member on the ground ready to help you & answer all of your questions.

If you're debating on this, and mulling over whether or not you should dive in and do it, my advice to you is JUST DO IT! And do it with the lovely Maxmio! Do it for me, but most importantly do it for yourself--chances are you won't regret it once you get past any fears you may have. And as they say....'You can do ANYTHING for 30 days!'

More communication before you are in country, more details of where you are staying, etc. Everything else was amazing!
Zoe

Best Experience!

The TEFL course through Maximo in Costa Rica was one of the best experiences for me. Audra was incredible and made the course engaging and enjoyable. She taught bus so much in such little time, my classmates and I got stressed a few times, but Audra helped us to feel overwhelmed. Audra did a great job of making sure all of the students accomplished all the work and pushed us to be great teachers.When I finished the course I felt very confident in teaching and knew I would be able to find an amazing job doing what I am inspired to do.

One of my favorite memories from this course would be getting extremely close to the other students in my class and making life long friends. We struggled through and stressed about the course together, but we also finished and graduated the course together, which was such an amazing feeling to graduate TEFL with your new best friends. I never would have thought I'd get so close and share such amazing memories going to the beach and going to class with people I've only known for a month. Overall, this was one of the best experiences of my life and I couldn't have asked for anything different!

Abigail

Time of my life

TEFL through Maximo in Costa Rica was a life changer for me. My teacher, Audra, was incredible. She was extremely engaging and made the class not only fun, but we learned SO much, I read the reviews that said to be prepared for a lot of intense work – but even knowing that, the class at times felt like a roller-coaster. Through it all, Audra did a great job of affirming the students in her course, and also pushing us to see that we could do the work and be successful. I finished the course, and came out feeling like I had learned as much about what I could achieve as I felt confident in teaching. I am already using the certification to teach in a TEFL classroom in Costa Rica, and it is through what I learned from Audra that I am doing so well with my students.

Also, the location and setting of Maximo in Manuel Antonio was incredible. The people at Maximo and around the town were friendly and helpful. The scenery and wildlife were breathtaking – from oceans to monkeys to mountains to waterfalls, I felt like I was in a little paradise.

Kathryn

Amazing!

This course completely changed the direction of teaching I want to go in. I have an elementary certification and always thought that I would want to teach children, however after teaching ESL and teaching adults I realize how rewarding and exciting this area of education is. The course itself is fun and engagin and I learned SO MUCH. Audra is an amazing instructor and gives amazing feedback to ensure that we are prepared to teach once the course is over. I initially thought that sitting in a classroom for 8 hours in a day would be overwhelming considering I haven't been in school for a long time, however the time flew by everyday! I just finish this course last month and I'm so excited to start applying for ESL teaching jobs and travel the world. Thank you Audra and thank you Maximo nivel!

Heather

Serious Fun

This class was far more in-depth and effective than I could have ever imagined. While I did get a chance to enjoy the beach and rainforest, this was an intensive course that prepared me to teach English language learners. I already hold a master's degree in education, and I have about a decade's experience working in schools. But this course taught me techniques I've never before even touched upon. Audra is an incredible trainer. Her energy is unmatched, as are her wit and ingenuity. She and her assistant, Nicole, take the time to meet with trainees individually on a regular basis. She was incredibly clear about what she needed from us in terms of our assignments and practical teaching, and more importantly, she knew what we needed to do to best teach our learners. Finally, she made the course fun! If you are having trouble deciding where to get your TEFL certificate, the team at Manuel Antonio is the one to work with. Plus, the view from the school is beautiful (Pacific Ocean and mountains)--a toucan flew right up to me while I was on the school's patio! I can't believe this course was only four weeks long; it was such an immersive experience.

Grant

Great course

I had a really good time in manuel antonio. The course isnt easy, and you will spend lots of time doing work on assignments, leason plans, and teaching prep, but it is worth it. The course gives you 2 three day weekends we used to travel, and on other weekends hungout around the town or at the beautiful beaches/natural parks. Our instructor Audra was a blast, and really fun person who kept the class fun, interesting, but also laid back. She understood that this experience is about fun too! Overall, had a great time and will miss manuel antonio. If you want the best burger in town, go to the burger joint next to express burrito. Fabian will hook it up with an ultra.

Maybe more free time for traveling
Shaefer

TEFLawless Month!

I enrolled in the TEFL certification course as a way to travel after college. But I ended up learning so much in just four, short weeks. For anybody interested in TEFL, Maximo Nivel in Manuel Antonio is the place to do it. The staff is amazing and Audra, the instructor, is the best! The class is challenging, mainly because of the great view from the building. There is a lot of work involved but you will have free time to enjoy the beach too.

Shaefer

I am leaving a smarter person

This month has been amazing and I learned more than I ever thought possible. I came in with little knowledge about TEFL and teaching and I am leaving with so much new information. I am blessed to have spent the month with Audra absorbing all of the new information and then the opportunity to have a week of practical teaching was amazing. The people that I spent the course with made everything so fun, even grammar week, and taking the course while in the jungle of Costa Rica was a huge bonus.

Natalie

I had the time of my life! And I owe it all to them.

This course was very challenging but so worth it. It was a crazy four weeks but I learned so much. The staff is amazing and the environment is so welcoming. Even during rainy season in Costa Rica, they kept us busy with activities and opportunities to do fun things. I have truly enjoyed my time here in this tiny tropical jungle of a town. I made so many connections here and they will last a lifetime. I can't wait to see where life and TEFL will take me.

They are currently updated their textbooks and teacher references and supplies and I think this alone will vastly improve the program and how they teach English.
Sierra

Awesome month in a neat spot!

The course was wonderful, really interesting and engaging, and Audra is the best! She’s super knowledgeable and understands the challenges and perks of living abroad. She’s also a wonderful all around teacher! Being able to both observe and get some hand on teaching experience really prepared all of us for a future of teaching abroad. Audra has also been incredibly helpful to everyone looking for a job directly after the class. Awesome month!

Morgan

Pura Vida

The TEFL course at the Manuel Antonio location was fabulous in every sense of the word. The curriculum, the assignments, observations, etc. are essential to the teaching English experience-- the hands-on approach follows the logic of practice is perfect. The instructor Audra is incredible because she is knowledgeable, dedicated, helpful, extremely available, and fun (you best believe that last descriptor is important during grammar week). When I was doing research on my TEFL program, I wasn't able to find any negative comments, critiques, or criticisms. That's because ''this is the Cadillac of TEFL courses'' [some of Audra's first words to us] and you absolutely get the quality you pay for.

Dave

Maximo Nivel TEFL rocks

It was everything I hoped it would be and more. After taking a 100 hour online TEFL program with a prestigious university, I still didn’t have the confidence or skill set to go into a classroom. Today I leave Manuel Antonio a teacher. If you have ever wanted to teach English abroad taking the hands-on TEFL course in Manuel Antonio is the place to do it. The beach is wonderful and offers a great balance to all of the hard work in store for you.
When I first came across the opportunity to take the TEFL course in Costa Rica I was sceptical of the overwhelmingly positive comments and almost didn’t take the opportunity because of it. I am so glad I did though. The course is top notch and Audra, the TEFL trainer in Manuel Antonio, is nothing short of spectacular. She is a force to be reckoned with. No sugar coating here, but she will take you under her wing until you are ready to fly yourself. Failure is not an option. For me, she exemplifies what it means to be an educator a mentor and a friend. You will just have to meet her to understand. Pura Vida!

I highly recommend this course. If you're serious about becoming a teacher then this is a great course to get you there.
Juliana

Pura Vida

The last four weeks at Maximo Nivel have been some of the best of my life. Not only is Manuel Antonio a beautiful location with amazing people, but it also welcoming and culturally rich. Ticos are warm, friendly, and helpful. Taking the TEFL certification course in a beautiful place only made the experience even more magical. The actual TEFL course was intense, fun, challenging, interesting, and useful. Audra Wooldridge is an amazing teacher and person. She cares for her students and teaches with genuine enthusiasm and passion. It obvious that she is committed to her work and loves her job. The course is a whirlwind and every moment is used wisely. Every lesson, observation, writing assignment, and discussion is purposeful and meaningful. There is no fluff. It's all real. Even having been a high school Spanish teacher, this course has challenged me and taught me so many useful techniques and skills that I am ready to use and implement. Thank you, Audra and Maximo Nivel for making my dreams come true!

Julia

It will be the best 4 weeks you've ever had!

Taking this TEFL certification course has been one of the best decisions I've ever made! I have met so many wonderful people and have gotten to enjoy the nature and beauty of Costa Rica. My classmates and I worked very hard through the entirety of the course, but it was so worth it. Big thanks to our amazing instructor Audra - she made the course (even classes about grammar) so exciting and interesting for all of us. I'm looking forward to using this certification in the near future after graduating college! If you've EVER wanted to learn to teach English, this is the place to do it!!!

Mia

Amazing program!

I loved my time here in Manuel Antonio. Maximo Nivel exceeded my expectations in every way. This course is challenging and so worth it! Audra makes it really engaging and she is by far one of the best teachers I have ever had. The Manuel Antonio location is absolutely beautiful and I enjoyed going to the beach almost every day. If you are on the fence about whether or not to take this course, do it! I am SO glad I did and I'm starting my new job in San Jose because of it!

About Maximo Nivel

Máximo Nivel (Maximum Level)—The Intercultural Center of Latin America

Máximo Nivel is a family-owned, social enterprise founded in 2003. Our three intercultural centers are locally-based organizations focused on international education and cross...