• Costa Rica

Activities Airport Transfers
Nov 07, 2019
Dec 19, 2021
21 travelers are looking at this program

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel on the beach in Manuel Antonio. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers. Groups are small with 2 to 14 people.

The TEFL Program consists of 12 modules:

- Teaching Listening & Reading
- Teaching English with Games
- Assessing & Testing Learners
- Introduction to international English exams: TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge

Maximo Nivel is internationally accredited and the Maximo Nivel TEFL Certificate is accepted by institutes, language schools, and universities around the world.

• 9-10 rating 96.53%
  • Academic Rigor 8.8
  • Job Assistance 9.6
Deborah

TEFL Course Dec 2021 Maximo NIvel Manuel Antonio

I was impressed with the approach, in the way the training led to the whole experience of becoming a TEFL teacher. Both the academic and practical teaching were geared to lead the pupil from knowing very little to knowing everything you would need to launch into immediate capability of teaching. It was great to leave with the ability to teach both in classroom and online. The fact that the final teaching week was with actual paying students on their way to being taught English was challenging but certainly brought a sharp focus to the process! We were privileged to be taught by Jacqueline Bira who is incredibly skilled in delivering the program with a unique blend of experience, a LOT of commitment, and the sheer force of a dynamic, yet approachable personality. Whilst the course itself was illuminating and value for money, being part of the process under the tutorship of Jackie was probably an equally illuminating educational opportunity into what a skilled teacher can impart! The course was tough, and requires absolute commitment and focus.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Sitting in front of a computer and being faced with a class, live and in real time, as their teacher, for the first time. Preparation and understanding of the topic, and the process was key, plus the "just do it" and launching oneself in to the unknown!
Charlie

An amazing month!

I had an amazing month here in Costa Rica. The TEFL trainer was amazing, lively and energetic. It did not feel like you were taking academic classes. We worked in an air conditioned room which was lovely given the hot weather outside.

There was a large practical teaching element at the end, where we took control of an English class for an hour a day, for five days. It was great to gain practical experience. We received feedback after each lesson which helped us acknowledge our weaknesses and strengths.

The location is perfect. Very close to the beach and the national park. I stayed with a host family in Quepos which was a 15 minute walk, followed by a 15 minute bus ride (which only costs $0.50). An amazing month!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
In Manuel Antonio National Park, I saw a monkey open my bag, search through my stuff, take out my stuff and throw it on the ground. Quite suprising.
TOM

Maximo Nivel TEFL Certification

I cannot say enough good things about Maximo Nivel, and in particular about my TEFL Trainer Jacqueline Bira. If passionate, dedicated, knowledgeable and scary smart is a 10, Jackie is a TWELVE. She gives 100% to her students, 24/7. Jackie knows how to praise and when to give tough love. Her professional expertise is deep and wide, born of her own TEFL teaching experience. She has that unique ability to combine academic rigor with crazy fun. Her classes are NEVER boring, always enlightening. I highly recommend Maximo Nivel generally, and Jackie Bira especially.

Rachael

MUST GO, MUST DO

Moving to Costa Rica and joining the TEFL program at Maximo Nivel was easily one of the best decisions I have ever made. The TEFL trainer Jackie is an incredible human and so insanely good at her job. This course taught me everything I need to know to be a successful ESL teacher. Before committing to the program I asked to speak with Maximo Alum who have finished the course, with the three people I spoke to I not once heard a bad thing about the program and now that I have received m certification I can say with confidence that this is a superior program to choose.

My advice for anyone that goes through this program would be to stick with it, work your hardest, and know that you will not be perfect but you can learn from the mistakes you make and become an even better ESL teacher.
George

Amazing program!

This program is perfect for anyone looking to get TEFL certified while enjoying the beauty of Costa Rica. The program itself is packed with valuable information that future English teachers will definitely benefit from. The practical teaching component was also very useful to those without any prior teaching experience. Our trainer Jackie was amazing and very knowledgeable. We always looked forward to our classes as it was fun even if some days were challenging. The location in Manuel Antonio is close to the beach so that's also a plus! Highly recommended!

Just do it! This course will give you all the information and real experience you'll need as a new ESL teacher.
Alexander

Wonderful program!

The Maximo Nivel TEFL program in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica was an amazing experience. Our TEFL trainer Jackie was honestly the best teacher I have ever had in my career as a student. She was extremely thorough in her lessons and was an amazing and supportive resource throughout the whole class. Not only was the Maximo location a beautiful place to get certified, but the program was also filled with beautiful people who made the whole trip a truly enriching experience. I highly recommend getting certified here! Pura vida!

My advice to future travelers that take this course is to really embrace the whole experience! You get what you put in. Show up ready to learn and ready to work hard and you will have an amazing experience. This program will help you grow in many more ways than just becoming an ESL teacher.
Rebecca

Maximo Nivel Costa Rica

Maximo Nivel Costa Rica (Manuel Antonio) was such an amazing experience and I could not recommend you attend more! The teacher Jackie is by herself worth every penny, but on top of that you get an incredible view, intensive knowledge, and continuous support. I did the Maximo course with my husband (25 and 28) and not only did we learn so much it also truly pushed us to become better human beings!! I know finding a TEFL certification can be difficult in a sea of information, but are truly so grateful we chose Maximo!!! Don’t think about it just do it!!!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Practical teaching week was the most important and beneficial experience I’ve had all year!
Olivia

Well Worth It

TEFL training with Maximo Nivel far surpassed my expectations. The housing accommodations, staff, location, and instruction was incredible! Living and studying in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica has been a dream. My host family was very kind, and it was a great way to practice speaking Spanish. The accommodations were clean and the food was great! The course work is rigorous -as it should be- since it basically consolidates what could easily be a year-long collegiate level class into one month. Thanks to my incredible teacher, Jackie, and my other classmates, I feel prepared to go on and live my dream!

What was your funniest moment?
I really enjoyed the banter amongst our class. Over the course of a month, it is all but inevitable to become close to your classmates. I think one of the highlights, however, was a geography drawing competition between a Brit and an American...let's just say neither one is particularly good at drawing the United States...

Apart from what the others have already suggested, I would also advise that any travel you intend on doing, you are prepared to leave until you've finished or to start beforehand. Manuel Antonio is a beautiful place, and you will certainly have beach time. But don't be fooled! The classes are intensive and require outside-the-classroom prep time. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks so much for your reply. I'd love if you could connect me with them! I'm going to be studying at Maximo in January 2017 and am very keen to teach :)

I would definitely recommend a laptop. You'll need it to work on assignments and lesson plans out of class. The building can get pretty hot, so being able to relocate to cooler locations is a must. Regarding clothes, I wore decent shorts and collared shirts for the classes. For interviews, I would recommend something more business casual.

The cost of the program varies by location and what type of stay you prefer (apartment, hostel, or homestay). I have added a link to the estimated program costs below that you may find helpful. In general, the cost will be somewhere between $2000-$2500, not including your flight. http://www.maximonivel.com/tefl-tesol/prices/