Volunteer Teaching & Education in Panama with TravelBud

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from TravelBud.

Be based in a coastal town in Panama
Be based in a coastal town in Panama
Teach 4 afternoons per week in Panama
Teach 4 afternoons per week in Panama
Teaching children in Panama
Teaching children in Panama

Volunteer as an English teacher in the quiet seaside town of Pedasí, Panama. 4 Hours from Panama City, this quaint rural town is surrounded by rustic beaches - the perfect spot to be stationed while you teach English to students aged 6-12 after school.

You'll work 4 days per week (Monday to Thursday) in the afternoons meaning you'll have long weekends each week to explore Panama's stunning countryside. Your accommodation is communal and included in the price, along with 3 home-cooked meals per day, Monday to Thursday. You'll also get airport pickup and 2 days of accommodation with a city tour in Panama City!

And, of course, you'll get our comprehensive pre-departure support to help you get ready for the trip plus 24/7 in-country support for anything that might happen once on the ground and even to help you plan a trip on those long weekends!

• Work just 4 afternoons per week teaching English.
  • Be based in the quaint costal town of Pedasí, 4 hours from Panama City.
  • Have long weekends every weekend to explore this exciting country.
  • Accommodation included with 3 home-cooked meals on school days.
  • Get airport pickup with 2 nights accommodation and city tour on arrival.

TravelBud is offering flexible options amidst COVID-19. Our following start dates are open to enrollment:

Costa Rica: November 23rd
Myanmar: June 29th

• Benefits 5.5
  • Facilities 5.5
Sherry
No, I don't recommend this program

Teaching in Panama with TeachPTY

Bait and Switch. Not worth the value. This program did not provide the services listed on the website. Travelbud did not provide 24/7 support after I arrived in Panama and did not request feedback after I completed the program. The TeachPTY host changed the agenda each week employing others to teach during the time I was supposed to be teaching English to the students.

My attempts to provide feedback to Teach PTY and Travelbud have been ignored.

Why should someone pay to "volunteer" while others make a profit?

Don't charge so much money to volunteer, honor what was promised to the volunteers. Be honest and upfront if the agenda changes, so the volunteer has plenty of time to adjust or change plans. Be respectful, listen to both sides without judgement and offer refunds of the contract was breached (as it was in my circumstances)
Response from TravelBud

Hi Sherry,

Thank you for your feedback. As mentioned over email, we are very sad to hear that you felt your experience on our Panama program did not live up to your expectations and are sorry that you did not accept our offer to speak over the phone and hear your feedback.

As you know, TravelBud offered this program through our in-country volunteer partner in Panama, Teach PTY, where TravelBud provides the majority of the pre-arrival support and Teach PTY provides all the in-country services which includes things like airport pickup, accommodation, volunteer activities, meals, and 24/7 in-country support.

Saskia provided you with full pre-arrival support assisting you with guides on what to pack, what flights and insurance to purchase, visa guidance, and answering all your questions before arriving in Panama. She also checked in with you regularly throughout your time on the program.

After investigating your feedback thoroughly we have found that in addition to TravelBud providing extensive pre-arrival support, Teach PTY went over and above to make your experience as pleasant as possible and provided all the services listed on our website.

When it comes to volunteering abroad, it's important to be adaptable to changes in plans and schedules which sometimes takes place to accommodate the needs of the community one is working with. We are sorry that the change in schedule which took place had a negative impact on your experience but hope you can understand the needs of the community need to be prioritised when it comes to volunteering abroad.

We hope that over time you will be able to look back on this experience with a change of heart. Volunteering abroad is no walk in the park but it provides a great opportunity to step outside of your comfort zone, travel to and explore a new country, help local communities in need, and gain a new perspective.

We wish you all the best for your future endeavours, Sherry.

The TravelBud Team

ben

Teach in Panama

My experience teaching in Panama has been amazing and very eye-opening. I instantly felt comfortable and at home with the team because of their friendliness and hospitality. They were very hands on and supportive; and will be with you every step of the way. The kids are so great and energetic; and they bring much energy and excitement, it is hard not to see your impact and influence on them and the community. Of course, there is always help from our supervisors if ever needed! I never felt alone or overwhelmed. The accommodations and community were great! The staff and everyone I met were friendly and always willing to help. My supervisor always encouraged me to travel and experience as much as the Culture as possible. He gave great suggestions and helped me navigate the country. The food was amazing! Every meal got better and better. I could not feel any less at home.
*Also, it is beach weather (humid and rain as well) so do not need much cover!! I packed way too much .

Saskia was an amazing contact. She has been with me constantly along the way. I also felt supported by her.

Be open! Get out and get involved in the community. DO NOT be afraid to travel either!!!
Response from TravelBud

Hi Ben,

Wow, we are thrilled to hear how much of an amazing experience you've had on our volunteer teaching program in Panama. Saskia in particular is beaming after reading your review :)

We're so happy that you contributed to the impact our program has on the local communities in Pedasi and have no doubt that this experience will stay with you for the rest of your life.

All the best for your future, Ben.

- Stu and the TravelBud team

Read my full story