Paid Teaching & TEFL Program in Thailand with TravelBud

The people you meet here will always be there to support you
The people you meet here will always be there to support you
TravelBud
TravelBud

Teaching in Thailand offers some incredible opportunities to push your own boundaries and explore an incredible corner of the world all the while making a meaningful contribution to the lives of the children you teach. TravelBud's program ensures you're super well prepared for the classroom and includes an in-country TESOL/TEFL course, in-class real life training, 2 days of practical teaching at a local Thai school and a week's cultural orientation.

We also offer 24/7 in-country support throughout your stay and will guide you through both your program and visa applications to help you avoid any costly mistakes and get you ready for your teaching adventure in no time! The TravelBud team have plenty of first-hand experience teaching English in Thailand, so you'll be speaking with someone who's gone through this exact experience before - this way you'll be given the best advice on everything, whether you're wondering what the TESOL/TEFL course entails or simply what clothes to pack.

• Guaranteed paid teaching job with a monthly salary of $950 to $1300 (USD).
  • Excellent pre-departure support to prepare you for the experience of a lifetime.
  • 24/7 in-country support for anything you might need while abroad.
  • Top quality internationally accredited in-class TESOL course completed in Thailand - with 2 full days of practical teaching experience in a Thai school.
  • A full week of Thai cultural orientation, which includes 7 hours of Thai language lessons, lessons on Thai culture, society, history, politics and geography, and tons of awesome cultural excursions.

Upcoming Start Dates for our Paid Teaching Programs in Asia

Thailand: March 30th
Vietnam: March 23rd
South Korea: March 2nd
Myanmar: January 27th (Closing December 2nd)

Hi Garth, Our Paid Teaching program in Thailand costs $2200 for the full program - which includes an in-depth TEFL certification course and Thai cultural orientation in Thailand before you start teaching, as well as your guaranteed job placement with a monthly salary of $950 to $1300 at one of our trusted and vetted school partners. 24/7 support is also provided throughout your time on our program...
Hi Traci, thank you so much for reaching out to us. Could you possibly give us more information? Which one of our teach abroad programs would you be referring to? It also depends if you have a TESOL/TEFL certificate already because if you don't, you would need to do our in-country TESOL course. In our in-country TESOL course and orientation, you will not be permitted to have your child with you...
Hi Romee, thanks for reaching out! Yes, a TESOL or TEFL certificate is required to take part in this program. Our program does include full TESOL certification which is done during a 120 hour in-class course conducted in Thailand. The TESOL certificate you'll get during our program is accredited and is valid worldwide. In Thailand it is definitely one of the most respected and widely accepted...
Hi Heather, thanks for reaching out! We have a few of options available to you. We currently have two volunteer teach programs, one in Thailand and one in Panama. The Thailand one lasts about 1 month, the Panama program lasts from 4-12 weeks. With the Thailand program you travel to various English camps throughout Thailand and so get to see a great deal of the less explored parts of the country....

• Benefits 9.2
  • Facilities 8.3
  • Instruction 8.9
  • Academic Rigor 6.4
  • Job Assistance 9.2
Allison

TravelBud will Make it Work for You!

I cannot recommend teaching abroad with TravelBud enough! I only had 3 months available to teach abroad, so TravelBud provided me the option to take my TEFOL course online instead of abroad to maximize my experience in such a short timeframe. This allowed me to take part in a cultural orientation, then get placed at a wonderful school that took me in and made me feel at home in no time! TravelBud gave me the chance to make lifelong friends, teach a wonderful group of students, travel around to neighboring countries/cities, and to even join a local soccer team!

If you are considering teaching abroad, TravelBud is the best way to feel safe while expanding your boundaries every single day! They ensured I was placed at a safe and wonderful school, checked in on me several times, and ensured my experience abroad was no less than extraordinary!

Immerse yourself in every moment and say yes to everything!
Katie

Amazing time teaching English in Thailand!

I am currently living and teaching in Thailand after completing my TravelBud TESOL course and placement, and I am having an absolutely amazing time. The cultural orientation and course fully prepared me for life in Thailand, and I felt very ready to being life as a teacher here. I was able to gain experience in the classroom through my TESOL, which made me feel more prepared for teaching than those I have met that went with online certifications. I also made amazing, life long friendships through TravelBud that I have maintained throughout my time here. We have been able to travel together, both during and after the course, and have experienced many of the amazing things that Thailand has to offer. Teaching in Thailand is an amazing, life changing experience and working with TravelBud makes the process very easy and even more rewarding.

I would advise future travelers to, first of all, do this program! And once you are on the program, I would definitely advise you to take full advantage of every opportunity. Say yes to everything, and go on every trip possible. Fully insert yourself into your local Thai community and participate in as many activities as possible. You won't regret it!
Matthew

A Unique Opportunity

I found my experience with TravelBud to be unique, and exhilarating. I am beyond grateful for the opportunity I was given here in Thailand. I have been teaching for approximately 4 months at this point in time. I have hiked to temples in caves, I have gone swimming in the ocean, I have attended multiple football games (Go Buriram!), and had the fortunate opportunity to share meals, coffee, and stories with people in this wonderful country. Everything began by a 1 month TESOL program in Thailand. They picked us up from the airport, and we were able to make acquaintances with several like-minded personalities that have the same desire, and motivation to leave their homes and come to teach English in Thailand. From here we traveled to the location we would spend the next month, Hua Hin Thailand. Home to the King's Summer Palace, where you will meet countless new, and amazing people, including some incredible local people. This was a fantastic place to begin the journey simply because it is used to foreign tourists, but not to the point of being over-saturated. The English proficiency is high enough that you aren't completely and utterly lost you will use this time to make some friends with local Thai people, and truly break out of your shell an incredibly useful skill in your endeavor. The TESOL course provides you with the framework to be a successful teacher, and the instructors are all ex-teachers, or sometimes even current teachers themselves within Thailand. During the course you will gain a new mom, known as แม่ "Mother" in Thai. As well as make many new and beneficial additions to your circle. With a full month of immersive instructions, and a great opportunity to begin your immersion into Thai culture you are given the chance of a lifetime to show your worth, and to show yourself just how life changing this experience can be. Use this month as an opportunity to delve into places far outside your comfort zone, this is your chance. You will get hands on experience teaching in a school, as well as have the opportunity to be surrounded by wonderful dogs to help relieve stress while finishing up the course. With guaranteed placement you can rest easy about where you will end up being placed. While you don't find out where you are placed until the last few weeks of the one month course, it really shouldn't matter. They do their best to place you where you wish to be placed, but you are here to experience a new culture, to see a new part of the world, and to change the lives of hundreds of children. I assure you, wherever you end up being placed, it will be the experience you want as long as you are willing to jump in. I requested the North originally, preferably close to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai, I am now located in one of the less tourist traveled areas known as Isan. I am grateful that I am here, I feel fortunate that my request wasn't carried out. Being here has afforded me countless opportunities and things I never expected, and would not have been able to get in the North. So wherever you end up, don't fret. Just ride with the experience, take it easy, relax, and "Mai Bpen Rai"(It's okay… everything is okay… don't worry).
Cheers, and enjoy your new life as a world-citizen.

Jump in, lower your expectations and you will be amazed, and shocked, and taken aback by everything that comes your way. If you set no bars, every moment will be a flurry of joyous emotion.
Getting on the plane is the most surreal experience, don't be surprised if your 1 year teaching adventure turns into 1.5 years, 2 years, 3 years, or 5 years.
Leah

One of the best decisions I've ever made - teaching abroad in Thailand

After graduating university, I knew I wanted to deviate from the traditional path of finding a 9 to 5 job and settling down. Nowadays, there is an abundance of online teaching abroad sources to help you get started. I did extensive research trying to find reputable company to go through. TravelBud really calmed my nerves about all the logistics of moving abroad. Lucy was so supportive and walked me through steps of the visa process and important paperwork. I currently teach first grade math and am loving it. There is something really special about the culture, language, and people of Thailand. I've met so many wonderful Thai people that love sharing their culture and customs. I would definitely recommend teaching abroad to anyone who is interested in stepping out of their comfort zone and experiencing culture.

Be flexible and adapt to the 'mai bpen rai' thai way of life. Thailand is a very relaxed country - don't try to change the system and go with the flow.
Ben

A great help with my unfortunate obstacles

Before finding this program, I was set to go to Colombia. Issues meant that 9 months of plans fell apart. It was January when things went wrong and I was in Thailand by March, all thanks to TravelBud.

I had never had to do a visa before (Colombia was visa free for me at the time), never had to apostille a certificate, never had to do a police check and background check, it was all very daunting. TravelBud made this process easy, so easy I was done in a month.

I already had a TEFL, so TravelBud made sure I had a job before getting there. The pay was great (very comfortable) and even when an emergency struck 3 months into my new adventure and I had to return home, TravelBud helped there too. Their service helped me in a time of great need

Nothing at all.

I was very comfortable and secure
Taylor

Teacher Taylor Takes on Thailand

Teaching abroad is without a doubt the best decision I've made within my 24 years of life. It's allowed me to truly learn myself and what I am capable of. Ever since moving abroad and becoming solely dependent on myself, I've had a newfound sense of confidence. And I have TravelBud to thank just for that! They showed me my options and enlightened me on a way of life that I could be living, but wasn't exactly sure how to pursue. I am also grateful for TravelBud and their Cultural Orientation. Looking back on my year in Thailand, and assessing interactions I've had with other foreigners who didn't come through TravelBud, the difference is immensely noticeable. I found that I was way more prepared for the way of life in Thailand and trained to be more open minded and accepting of the cultural differences. I was able to stay patient with the language barrier and food orders that got lost in translation. The Cultural Orientation provided by TravelBud also enabled me to be more understanding and respectful of the culture that I had just immersed myself in.

My advice for future travelers would be to stay as open minded as possible and remember to always stay patient. Coming from the western world, adapting to the way of life and customs in Thailand can be a bit frustrating. But once you get over the initial culture shock, the way of life in Thailand can be absolutely beautiful. It will teach you to not take life so serious. I've learned how to sit back, relax, and to just enjoy everyday with what I have. I can't tell you the amount of times I've heard, "don't worry teacher, not serious", this past year I've lived in Thailand.
Jakub

Semester teaching in Thailand

After graduating university, I looked into options for moving abroad for a change of pace and scenery. This program was wonderful in helping me get started teaching in Thailand. The in-class TESOL really laid a good foundation for teaching skills and I was able to do the practical application in real Thai schools before my certification. I really enjoyed the cultural orientation, and being able to do Muay Thai and cook Thai food during the orientation week. TravelBud also made the visa and paperwork side of things clear, so that I could focus on the fun part of this journey. I teach high school in a small town in northern Thailand and have really enjoyed the laid back Thai lifestyle and culture. I’ve made lots of new friends, and developed a lot of skills I wasn’t expecting. It’s been a great semester of fun, learning, and delightful food.

The only complaint I could have was that the price point was so high. However, I realise you get what you pay for and it’s been a flawless experience. In that aspect, it makes it worth every penny.
Holly

Teaching in Thailand

I left my job as a dental hygienist in the states to pursue another passion of mine; travel and culture. I'm so glad that I committed to working with TravelBud to get my TESOL certification to go back to a country I fell in love with two years prior! The first month in Hua Hin, Thailand was so much fun and the people I met in my program will be lifelong friends! The program is extensive and requires quite a bit of work and time but they prepare you very well for teaching in a Thai classroom! I am in a smaller more rural town now teaching which has its challenges but my experience so far has been great! I love teaching English to my students at school and will hate the day I have to say goodbye. I have learned so much about myself and the culture so far and I cannot wait to see what else is in store!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Thailand is full of unfamiliar foods but the two things I ate that were the most unfamiliar were chicken feet and a scorpion. I will never do the scorpion again but the chicken feet grilled are actually really good!
Response from TravelBud

Hi Holly,

We're all so pleased to hear that your experience teaching in Thailand has been a positive one, and that our TESOL certification course was a lot of fun and helpful.

Enjoy every moment with your students. We've got no doubt that you'll cherish this experience for the rest of your live. If there's ever anything we can do to help, please don't hesitate to reach out.

All the best,

Stu and the TravelBud team

Brooke

All smiles in the land of smiles!

I’ve now been in Thailand an entire year and it has been the most rewarding experience I could have ever imagined! The in-class TESOL was the perfect way to acclimate myself to teaching English and the cultural orientation provided me with a strong foundation for my immersion into Thai society. The job placement process was smooth and I absolutely love my school and town! I teach the most amazing kindergarteners and have formed genuine relationships with my co-workers, both Thai and foreign. The in-country support is one of my favorite aspects of this program, as there was always someone to go to with questions and to check in on me. I highly recommend this program to anyone looking for a truly life changing experience!
Living in Thailand there are challenges and surprises at every turn, but the growth is so amazing.

Thailand doesn’t give you what you want, it gives you what you need! Go in with an open mind and heart
Response from TravelBud

Hi Brooke,

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We're so happy to hear that you're having an amazing time teaching in Thailand and that our TESOL course and cultural orientation helped you prepare for life as an English teacher in Thailand. And of course, it's great to hear that you're loving your teaching placement too!

We're always here to help so please take full advantage of our in-country support :)

Keep embracing every moment of the experience and growing as a person.

- Stu and the TravelBud team

Josh

Travel Bud

Travel Bud was extremely helpful with all our pre-departure planning. They made sure we were constantly up to date and in the loop with what was happening and what we needed to do. They assist you in getting all your relevant documentation together. You are made to feel at ease knowing you have everything you need.

It is almost always very scary going on adventures like these, and I can confidently say that Travel Bud really make you feel a lot calmer and less nervous while leading up to your departure. They are always available to help you when needed and answer any questions you have (even when you have very many - sorry Lucy! ;))

Travel Bud is also great with communication. They always check up to make sure you are okay and checking if they are able to help in any way.

I would (and already have) highly recommend Travel Bud to anyone.

Marco

TravelBud’s support

Using a travel agency to start working overseas comes with many benefits. When working with TravelBud, not only do you get administrative support, a great Tesol course and you get to make connections pre-departure, but you also get emotional and honest communicative support. My agent, Lucy, communicated well and was always ready to answer any questions or guide me through any difficulties. I recommend using TravelBud because you will be working with individuals who have experience in what you are about to embark on. There were many times leading up to my departure where the agency and Lucy would share stories about their adventures and give their advice. Now, in Thailand, I often refer back to those stories and little gems in order to get me through whatever challenge I can overcome.

Always say yes and be open to connect. When traveling abroad, opportunities you never even dreamed of come your way. When you embrace these chances with open arms, that’s when life really starts moving.
Fruzsina

Placement-only program

I only did the orientation week as I already had teaching qualifications. In the orientation week, they tried to squeeze lots of information in about culture, history, language, expectations in school which was helpful. Even though we were asked about our priorities for placement, it was not clear how it actually worked, how it was decided who goes where. For me, it worked out well, but for some, it was completely the opposite.
In general, I found the program quite expensive for mainly getting only some advice on life in Thailand and getting a placement, we had to pay everything on top of that (accommodation, food, etc.). It's nice to have all this information in one place, and get prepared for the life in Thailand, but I feel that we've just been passed from agent to agent, and that inflated the costs. Apart from that, I'm happy that I met like-minded people at the orientation week, and we were always kept busy with programs. However, I don't find it essential for teaching, as most of the time, you'll only get the answer: "it depends on which school, which region".

As many people come here without experience and only with an online TESOL course, it would be helpful to get more info about lesson planning, different teaching methods, grading system, classroom management.
Response from TravelBud

Hi Fruzsina, thanks for the review and for taking the time to go into so much detail with your feedback.

Lucy mentioned what a great time you're having in Thailand and that's fantastic to hear :)

I just wanted to take a moment to highlight some of the other benefits you get from our program - even though you didn't need our TESOL course - I apologize if you're enrollments coordinator didn't highlight this properly for you. You'll also benefit from our lifetime placement guarantee. What this means is that once you're finished your contract in Thailand, you can renew there at the same school or a different one, free of charge. You can also opt to switch out to another program destination which you may qualify for such as Myanmar or Vietnam to teach there - you also wouldn't be charged for us or our partners facilitating that again.

And just quickly to touch on the agent system you mentioned in your review - I know it can seem a little intimidating and perhaps confusing. In Thailand, there are thousands of agents who recruit teachers for schools within the country, most of these don't have the means to reach quality candidates to hire them directly. They then reach out to ground handlers in Thailand like our partners you were fetched by and accommodated with when you arrived. These handling partners make sure you have a smooth arrival into the country and are as prepared as possible to be a responsible and effective teacher by putting you through the intensive (but fun) orientation you had. They also handle on-the-ground issues which your agent or school may be unable to solve for you. These can include things as serious as major medical or legal emergencies or language barrier issues and basic culturally-sensitive conflict resolution. We handle the outreach, marketing and recruitment on behalf of all parties you've dealt with in Thailand. We have long-standing relationships with these partners and know their management personally - we also regularly do visits and meet-ups with our partners to assess the continued quality of service being provided to everyone.

Regarding your suggestion for improvement, I'll have Lucy reach out to you but our program does come with access to many of these online resources for teachers. If you could take a look and if you feel they could be improved, please send us or our partners an email so that we can build on that feedback and improve the resources for you going forward.

Again, thanks for the review and we're thrilled to see you having a good time in Thailand!

Charlène

After 3 months in Thailand...

I have always wanted to go to Thailand, not just to travel but to live an authentic experience. I wanted to be able to work there, build my professional experience as a newly qualified teacher and discover this country, its people and its traditions.
All of that seemed impossible to achieve by myself and I am very grateful for the help and support that was given to me by TravelBud and their partners.

I have been in Thailand for 4 months now and this experience has definitely been full of surprises and hopefully there's a lot more to come. I have been teaching to great kids, have seen amazing landscapes and met great people.
Here, I have learnt not to have any expectations and just appreciate every moment because that is the true beauty of this journey.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
As a non-native speaker, I had a lot of documents to ge translated. I learnt just a few weeks before my departure that I had more documents were needed and that they had to be translated in English. I was already very nervous and stressed out but leaving, going to a new country on the other side of the world, by myself and with no job just yet and this administrative problem was just an unnecessary problem that I didn't need to habe at this moment. Everything went wellin the end but the moment before leaving was probably the most difficult that I had tp overcome.
Response from TravelBud

Hi Charlene, thanks so much for the wonderful review! I know with French nationals there are a bunch more hoops for you to jump through to be able to legally teach in Thailand. I'm glad you were able to make it work and are having a wonderful experience so far!

Lucy reports that you had a great attitude throughout the support process and were an absolute pleasure to work with and she knew you were going to make a great success of your time in Thailand!

All the best with the rest of your time :)

Goretti

This was an experiment

This was an experiment of sorts for me because this was the scariest thing I have ever done in my life. I was so excited for this amazing opportunity and in many ways it did not disappoint... I wanted a chance to experience something different and out of my comfort zone and this afforded me that! I just wished I had done more research regarding the program as a whole I got so caught up in the splendor, the pomp and circumstance that I overlooked all the very real things I would be facing once I was in country(Homesickness, finances, TESOL course, culture shock etc.). Regardless this was an unforgettable journey filled with precious memories and I will forever be grateful for the beautiful chapter I get to add to the story of my life. Thank you Travelbud! For those interested make sure you do your RESEARCH before and what are you waiting for... go ahead and be brave!

There were a lot of hidden costs involved or maybe I was just not aware of it eg. CBC, degree authentication etc. It’s important to make future prospective people aware of all the costs outside of what we’re already paying towards the package ahead of time instead of finding it out as we go along. It can be quite a financial contraint as the package is already pricey.
Response from TravelBud

Hi Goretti, thanks so much for this wonderful review! We’re so thrilled to hear that this experience did not disappoint you even though it was short.

Homesickness and culture shock are unfortunately aspects of teaching abroad which everyone experiences at some point, this is why our pre-departure support staff puts so much effort into making sure our participants are as prepared as possible for what is to come prior to arriving in-country. Having said that, we’re well aware of how daunting the thought of leaving your life behind and settling abroad can be, so the fact that you gave it your best shot is something you should be really proud of.

We’re sorry to hear that you felt that there were hidden costs, but our enrolments team takes all our applicants through the costs involved during the interview, prior to them signing up.

We really appreciate your insightful review and especially your feedback, as we are constantly looking for innovative ways to make sure all our teachers have the best experience possible!

Mitch

TEACHING ABROAD - THAILAND

My journey started back in 2016 when I embarked on an in class TEFL course in Hua Hin, Thailand. As I am sure you know I went through a wonderful company called TravelBud, who looking back were excellent in everything. From clarifying everything needed and all costs onvolved to setting me up exactly in Thailand with appropriate agencies to assist me in finding a job.

TravelBud were great in such a way where they fortunately provided me with all the information on what to expect and how life would be in Thailand. I really was amazed and taken back by their professional service and guidance throughout the entire process. When I arrived in Thailand with some of my fellow friends where we were picked up from the airprort and taken to our hotel which were all included in the fee, this was great as chaotic Bangkok was quite the place to walk into first time being abroad. So having some professional guidance and assistance was excellent.

Everything was made clear and even before leaving my home country TravelBud provided me with a packing list as well as necessities to take abroad which came in very handy throughout my time in Thailand. I think for me what is the best part was that TravelBud are always eager to give advice and suport no matter what the situation is even if you have finished your course with them and it has been months later.

Their expertise and knowledge about living abroad especially in Asia is outstanding and I highly recommened going through them if you are wanting to work and teach abroad.

Response from TravelBud

Thanks so much for the glowing review Mitch! It's great to see how positive your experience is, even after all these years and how fondly you look back on how you started your journey with us.

The whole team remembers you and we're thrilled to be part of your journey from day one. Keep up the awesome work, we know you've made a great difference to the lives of your students!

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About TravelBud

At TravelBud everyone you deal with is someone who has taught abroad before and has walked the very path that lies ahead for you through teaching abroad. We all passionately believe in the life-changing power of the teach abroad experience, both for...