Teaching Jobs in Korea with Footprints

Teaching Jobs in Korea with Footprints

Teaching jobs in Korea have been accessible through Footprints since 2001. As one of the oldest recruiters working in Korea, and with several former teachers on staff, we are the most experienced recruiter in South Korea - for both public and private school jobs.

If you're looking for a teaching job in Korea we are here to help you. Obtaining a visa for Korea can take some time and paperwork, and Footprints knows like no other to turn this seemingly daunting process into smooth sailing.

Here's why teaching jobs in Korea are such a great choice:

- Footprints offers the widest range of public + private school jobs.
- Salaries are among the highest in the ESL industry!
- Teachers can live well and save up to half their salary or pay down student loans.
- Enjoy the unique culture and cuisine of Korea.
- Add professional experience to your resume while earning a professional salary.

With all these great teaching jobs in Korea, don't delay and apply online today!

Asia » South Korea » Seoul
Housing: Provided
Health Insurance: Provided
Severance: 1 Month's salary at end of contract
Throughout South Korea

Thanks Donna! Your insight helped a lot!!

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Peter
Liverpool
Staffordshire University

3 years and counting!

Recently I started my 3rd contract with EPIK! My original plan was to stay for 1 year but that has turned into 3. Needless to say things have been pretty good here! EPIK is a good company to work for, but I have seen a little bit of a decline in new EPIK recruits lately, part of the reason is the Korean Public Education system are beginning to cut down on the amount of TEFL Public school teachers in Jeju and other regions, so I have seen many EPIK teachers take the leap to private academy's that seem to offer better housing and benefits. For me I prefer big classes over smaller private ones (I like the chaos of having 30 kids in a class haha) so I am content at the moment! I do feel however that after my current contract has finished I will be moving on to another country to teach and the first place I will start my search is with Footprints! From start to finish you guys helped me all the way to Korea! Without Footprints watching over me, this whole adventure would have been ever more scary. Your help with the application and visa process was invaluable! Not only that but once I arrived at the EPIK orientation in Seoul I was lucky enough to meet other Footprint recruits. It was also great that while in Korea footprint linked us with other recruits who had already been here for some time. Your continued support has been greatly appreciated!

Marc
Steilacoom, WA

Great experience with Footprints

My experience with Footprints was great. They provided ample resources and assistance in navigating the complicated application process. Even after I arrived in South Korea, they were there to help me get on my way. I think the best compliment I can give is that the recruitment process was so smooth, the details of it practically disappeared. Everything was easy and straightforward.

Teaching abroad was unlike anything I've ever done in my life. To attempt to describe it in fewer than tens of thousands of words would not be doing the experience justice, so I will say this instead: if you have the opportunity and the means to go aboard, do it. At least once in your life. I may never live aboard again, but I will always be glad that I did. I learned things about myself and about the world that I couldn't have imagined learning before I left, and I'm sure you'll feel the same if you teach aboard.

Janet
Witsand
University of Stellenbosch

My splendid Footprints experience

I went to South Korea in 2013, so it was a while ago, but I still remember to this day that I had such a pleasant experience working with Footprints Recruiting. The whole application process went really smoothly and I've since recommended Footprints to many friends who wanted to go teach abroad.

The team I worked with was very helpful before my departure as well as during my time in Korea. Their professionalism were reassuring, they had excellent knowledge of the whole process to answer all of my questions and I felt like I was in good hands the whole time. The information brochures/booklets supplied by Footprints with regards to forms and visas were also very thorough and they were wonderful guidelines to ensure that one complete all application forms thoroughly.

I taught at a Hagwon in Wonju, Gangwon-do. It was a small setup with only 2 foreign teachers, but our director looked after us really well. The work environment and housing was all up to standard and we had nothing to complain about. You read of so many people on the internet who've had bad experiences at Hagwons, so it's good to know that Footprints screens their schools properly.

Working abroad is such a great experience and Footprints is a free and reliable service to help you through the process. They will make sure that your work abroad experience is a stress free and memorable one!

Guy
England

Teaching in Seoul via EPIK

"I had an amazing experience, teaching English in Seoul for 2 years. The preparation and application process was made far easier thanks to Footprints. Considering the application process is lengthy and pretty complicated, it was made far more simple, being guided through, step by step (especially as some of the documents are expensive to obtain, and I wouldn’t want to make any mistakes!!)

As for teaching in Korea, it was brilliant! I’d taught around Europe previously but this was a really different experience. The teaching itself was straight forward, some of the easiest lessons I’d prepared actually. The staff were friendly and helpful and I got a great reception from the students too. Korea was fascinating but utterly mad in many ways, I loved it! I learnt a vast amount and grew in myself as a result- I couldn’t have asked for a better teaching experience overseas."

Jessica
Lancaster, PA

Helpful and friendly

It was a few years ago, but I remember Footprints being extremely helpful in assisting me with my application and looking over everything to make sure I was good to go. The step-by-step process they led me through before I finally applied definitely took a lot of stress off of me as far as time management and making sure I had everything ready to send to EPIK. Also, everyone I spoke on the phone with (I'm sorry I don't remember names this far on) was really friendly and pleasant to speak with.

Casey

Footprints helped me get to Korea

From the beginning of the teaching application, and all the way up to landing your job and afterwards as well, Footprints has always been most professional with me. They have people you can directly talk to, that will indeed help you. Going with this recruiting agency, as opposed to chancing it on your own, will definitely give you an easier peace of mind in the life-changing process of becoming an English teacher overseas. I have been working in Korea for the last three years as an elementary school English teacher, and it's all in debt to them for helping me get here.

Meg
Washington, DC

Highly recommended!

I am so glad that I decided to apply to EPiK through Footprints. They made the whole process much, much easier and gave me the peace of mind to know that I was sending a completed, error-free application to the hiring staff at EPiK! They also put me in touch with The Arrival Store, which was a great way to ensure that some essential items like bedsheets and towels would be at my school when I arrived at my placement!

Donna
Wonju, South Korea

An Excellent Decision

So far, I'm having a great experience teaching in a public school in South Korea.

First the bad:
Although a bit of the information provided in Footprints' Word documents were out of date (for example, Gangwon province no longer has 5 weeks of vacation; now it has only 4 weeks, like everywhere else). In addition, I noticed that many other recruiters had provided care packages and other support upon arrival at the airport, which is a really nice idea.

And now the good:
Otherwise, it was really great working with Footprints. The guides for filling out forms and getting hold of documents were incredibly helpful, as was the feedback during the interview process

Korea is a really amazing place, and I wish more North Americans knew about it as a tourist destination, or even just as an interesting country. Every weekend, I see a new place, learn a new activity, have a new adventure, and during the week I have a very stimulating experience teaching high school in the north of South Korea.

It seems my placement is a bit different from most of the other August 2014 EPIK intakes (English Program in Korea - the public school English program). Most people I met are teaching middle/elementary school, have smaller classes and fewer coteachers than I do, and sometimes need to work on weekends, which I do not. However, there are as many upsides as there are downs to my different situation, and I'm really happy with my decision to do this, and pleased with my choice of Footprints to help me through it.

As I mentioned, keeping the documents up to date, providing some sort of care/welcome on arrival, and some continuing support once actually in the country are my suggestions.

Stephanie
Okcheon, South Korea
University of California- San Diego

Thorough and Easy to Work With!

The Footprints team was easy to work with, and very supportive during my entire application process. Even though they had many applications to keep up with, I felt like I was always kept up to speed on what was going, and my application was of utmost importance. It was easy to communicate with the team, and my emails were usually answered right away or sometimes even by phone. It was extremely helpful to have someone on my side who knew the process inside and out, and could help keep me on top of deadlines and expectations. I highly recommend Footprints if you are looking for a recruiter to teach abroad.

Stephanie
University of Washington- Seattle

I would recommend Footprints

I contacted Footprints after doing quite a bit of research about recruiters placing teachers in South Korea. I was very happy with the information provided in terms of paperwork required and availability of jobs meeting my requirements.

I was offered three interviews and three jobs in South Korea. I chose the job in Ulsan after reading some good reviews of that city and the foreign community. I was incredibly happy with my placement at my hagwon. It was professionally ran, and I did not have any problems with pay or work hours. My director spoke fluent English and was incredibly helpful. That wasn't the case for many of the people I knew! Those of us who used Footprints were all happy with our placements.

South Korea was an amazing place to work, if you are willing to work. It is a job and you have to approach it that way. You will be teaching children and that can be difficult if you don't have any experience with kids. I found the people that had the most problems came to Korea for a vacation or didn't like or want to teach children.

If you have an opportunity to teach I highly suggest Ulsan. It is an amazing city with a vibrant foreigner community. You are immersed in Korean culture, but with some amenities from home.

I am now a teacher in the USA and I credit that to my experience teaching in South Korea.

Mikaela
Ulsan, South Korea

An EPIK Experience

Life as an ESL teacher in Korea is not a perfect life, there I said it. However, let's be honest, life will never be perfect no matter where you live. What a job through Footprints Recruiting CAN do is change your life and help you ACHIEVE your goals.

I had three major goals when I arrived:
1. Pay off my student loans
2. Travel and experience a variety of cultures
3. Grow personally and professionally.

Upon the recommendation of a friend, I thoroughly researched Footprints and quickly found the option of teaching in Korea to be the best way for me to reach all three of my goals.

Footprints was incredibly helpful with the application process (a dizzying amount of paperwork), and even now (one year later), I still receive check-in emails once in a while making sure that everything is well. I know that if I ever run into a problem, Footprints will help me.

As I said before, life here is not perfect and you will experience frustrations, but I have found that with the support of Footprints, along with remembering a few pieces of wisdom, life here can be a fulfilling adventure.

Words of advice:

- It's important to be aware of your expectations and assumptions, and even more importantly, be able to modify and adjust them when necessary.
-Be flexible and try and understand the cultural differences.

- Life as an expatriate is about thriving, not simply surviving.
- Soak up the new and weird experiences, try something different!

- Perhaps the most important thing I have realized, the concept that has taken root and blossomed is: Life as an expatriate is all about the people.
- Make friends that will last a lifetime, and enjoy the happy faces of inspired children.

My students make me smile everyday, they also make me mad several times a week. Its my choice to look over the frustrating moments and hold on to memories like this one:

(after a fun class period of being silly)

Me: "Ok, class time is over, good job today!"

Philip: As he plops down beside me with a beautiful smile and contented sigh, "Teacher......"

Me: "Yes, Philip?"

Philip: "Teacher, today was wonderful!"

Me: "Yes, I think so too."

My advice for anyone thinking of teaching in Korea through Footprints Recruiting: Just do it!

Any program will have its imperfections, I would suggest providing a survey to alumni asking them what things they wished they had been told at orientation. I think the orientation week could be revamped in a way that would make it much more helpful.

Tabitha
Gangwon, South Korea
East Carolina University

Overall Good Experience

Footprints Recruiting did a great job with assisting me with obtaining a reputable teaching position in South Korea. I work in the capital city of Gangwon-do, perhaps the most beautiful province in South Korea.

While I love Seoul and go there often via the ITX, which connects my city to Seoul super fast (70 mins), I love living here in Chuncheon and could not have asked for a better placement. The locals are welcoming, friendly, and very hospitable.

I teach at an all-boys high school. With the exception of large classes, which can be challenging, my school (e.g. principal, assistant principal, faculty and staff) are great and make me feel very welcome here and they provided me with a very nice and spacious apartment (2BR/2BA). I was so shocked.

I have just one co-teacher and I teach 21 hours per week and my average class size is 40 students. Most of my students are good, but with such large class sizes it can be challenging. Yet, I'm thankful that I only teach at one school in lieu of more than one.

I've been here for seven months and I can truly say that coming to South Korea was one of the best decisions I have made and I intend to stay longer than a year. When I first got here, I was certain that I would only be here for one year, but life is good and I'm not ready to leave. I have made with friends with people from many different places who have become like family to me here and I get to experience Korean culture and do something I greatly enjoy.

Class sizes are too large and often times, are mixed-level. This poses challenges with class management and being an effective teacher. But this isn't necessarily a program issue, as your situation will vary depending on your school. You could be responsible for teaching 500+ students per week or less than 100. It just depends on your placement, but most high schools are very large.

Also with high school students, they take a lot of exams and are extremely stressed and you may find that many are unmotivated to speak English and maybe even apathetic. Also, your school may or may not have a curriculum, particularly if you are teaching in a high school. This has its advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage, you have freedom to teach whatever you like in your English Conversation classes. The disadvantage is that if you have never taught before, I could see how a new teacher would feel lost, maybe even clueless, especially if his/her co-teacher is hands-off.

Zenith
Vancouver, Canada
University of British Columbia

A great gig

I had a very positive experience with EPIK (through Footprints). The school I was placed at was a reputable public school in a very nice neighbourhood. There was one co-teacher who was personally responsible for helping me with both work and non-work related affairs (such as how to open a bank account, how to set up internet at my home etc.). I formed very close friendships with my coteachers and still keep in touch with them to this day. They really helped me understand more about not only Korean culture, but about the work culture there. If I could do it all over again, I definitely wouldn't think twice.

It takes a bit of time for information to trickle down from the administration. The foreign teachers are usually the last to find out about schedule changes and the like. I often wished I had found out about cancelled classes etc. sooner.

Ruben
Taebaek, Gangwon, South Korea
University of North Carolina- Charlotte

Come teach in Korea

Coming to Korea is certainly one of the best decisions I've made and I thank Footprints Recruiting for being so helpful in the process. I've been asked by several people that are intrigued in teaching abroad and I always mention Footprints because you all really made it as simple as possible and walked me through step by step. I always recommend going through a recruiter, especially Footprints.

I'd like to share my experience with EPIK. English Program in Korea provides teachers with a 9 day orientation that made adjusting to Korea incredibly easy. We learned about Korean culture, language, the school system, food, and teaching strategies to prepare us for the classroom. Everyone is so friendly and down to earth, you meet so many people that are in the same exact situation as you and sharing that experience is already one way to connect.

Groups are split depending on what area in Korea they'll be teaching, so I met friends who now live in my town and province. My group was for Gangwon province, there were about 30 of us. Around 15-20 of us meet up at least once a month, or we visit each other during the weekends. It's really like nothing else I've experienced. I met people that I know I will friends with for a very long time. Orientation really did help me since I had no teaching experience aside from the TESL certificate.

Life in Korea is amazing. I live in a smaller town called Taebaek in the mountains of Gangwon province. The town used to be known for its coal mining and is the highest city in South Korea. I teach at an all boys middle school, a five minute walk from my apartment. Teaching has its ups and downs. Boys can be difficult to manage in the classroom, but overall my experience has been very pleasant. I recently had my six months mark and am considering renewing my contract another year.

I'm lucky in ways I didn't realize when I first arrived. Although I live in a rural area, we have a decent city center and main trains and buses that travel to larger cities within three hours. Also, the foreigners in my town are now like family to me. We have a real tight community and gather once or twice a week to eat out and sometimes take weekend trips.

The majority of foreign teachers I know feel a similar way, some haven't found a reason to leave and have been here for many years. Our jobs are not that absorbing, the benefits are great. We don't worry about rent too many bills. We are paid well enough that we can afford to eat out a couple times a week, take weekend trips, visit nearby countries on vacation and still be able to save. The consensus is: for anyone who is thinking about coming to Korea, don't make it a maybe just do it. You won't regret it.

Cory
Georgetown, Delaware
Lincoln Christian University

GETs are not the problem

EPIK has the potential to be a great program, but can never be under the current culture of Korean education. From my two years of experience under EPIK, the failings of Korean students when it comes to English education are placed largely on the GETs, which is the last place it should be. As a GET, I had no means of authority or discipline in the classroom, so students ran rampant and co-teachers, when in class, rarely did anything to control the students. Slaps on the head or hands with rulers did nothing to discourage troublemakers or improve classroom morale.

When it comes to co-teachers, they NEED to be able to speak English, not only to effectively teach the language but to be able to communicate with the GET. Too many of my friends were little more than tape recorders or robots in the classroom, and had no means of improving their situation because the co-teacher couldn't understand them. In the US, if a teacher is instructing on a foreign language, they are required to be fluent in it, in reading, writing, grammar, AND speech. My English Dept. head could BARELY speak English and had no passion as a teacher, whereas my co-teacher in my last school was fluent and passionate but always cut down by her superiors. That is not right and an all-to-common example of the failure of Korean culture when it comes to education. The older teacher is NOT always right.

If EPIK wants to be a viable program, one that effectively instructs students on how to use English, there needs to be a nationwide curriculum, one that is taught by every teacher across the country. It's no wonder that Korean students are learning English at different paces and levels when every GET is forced to go it alone. Both years, I arrived to NO curriculum, having to scramble to create my own lessons with NO basis to follow. It's certainly expected to have to do lesson-planning, but without a base curriculum, what are we to teach that gives ALL students an equal chance to learn?

There's only so much whitewash one can use before the dirt shows thru, and that's what is happening with the Korean education system. I regularly saw Korean teachers faking important documents to hide the truth of their students' grades; I was told point-blank that all our high school seniors would graduate REGARDLESS of their grades. What's the point in teaching if everyone passes anyway? My Korean co-workers regularly commended my diligence in lesson-planning and teaching, but it's because it's a diligence they don't have! Too many times my KT told me she didn't care about the high school students because of their attitudes and behaviour, and so would not teach them. The growing ignorance of this generation of Korean students will surely show through the whitewash the longer the truth is covered up.

By cancelling the EPIK program, as is rumoured to be happening, you are not fixing the problem. The GETs are not the problem; they want to be the solution, to be the driving force in English education, but we are not given the tools, only the blame. And so, South Korea will isolate itself from the Western world by removing the thousands of Westerners who are eager to share their culture and experiences, allowing Korea to dive deeper into the homogeneity it so prizes. Maybe North and South will someday reunify, but in my view, the isolation caused by dismissing waygook teachers will create in the South a culture akin to that of the North, and they can be alone together.

AlexaHart
Los Angeles, California

Mixed Reviews About Footprints

First off, I want to start out by saying that Footprints is a big placement company. They help place English teachers throughout Korea in public and private schools. Thus, every teacher is going to have a different experience because each teacher is placed in a different school.

With that being said, I was unhappy with the support I received from the Footprints team. Here's how it worked. I contacted them (with the advice of a friend who used them and said he liked Footprints), and long story short, they helped secure a job at a hagwon (private school) for me in Seoul in 2010. I was hoping Footprints would answer my questions about the U.S. visa process, but they were unable to do that, so I figured it out on my own. It can be a pretty confusing process.

Prior to going to Korea, there was very little communication from Footprints about what to expect when I arrived in the country. I was unprepared for the vastly different work environment and went through major culture shock. Not once did Footprints check in with me about how I was doing. And, my school ended up going out of business at the end of the year. Luckily, I saw all my money. The director of the school (GDA Junior in Seocho) was also very unprofessional and paranoid.

I know several teachers who have been very satisfied with Footprints, so perhaps I am an anomaly. I was just surprised that Footprints offered such little support to its teachers.

Outside of work, life in Seoul was awesome. I lived in a really tiny apartment in one of the best neighborhoods - Gangnam, which was close to great bars and restaurants. I joined a couple different gyms and took public transportation everywhere. Taxis were also really cheap. In general, Koreans are really friendly. I was able to make friends with some locals, and they taught me how to read Korean, while they practiced their English with me. Win-win!

My apartment was about an eight minute walk to work, which was also a big plus. I lived within walking distance of local markets as well.

As for a typical day at work: I taught super little kids (ages 3 and 4) in the morning and early afternoon. I got to work around 8:30-9 ish. My kids had zero English experience, so my first few months were super rough. I was given very little instruction and got a lot of criticism from my crazy boss on what to do, so it was a huge learning experience. After about five to six months, I finally felt comfortable in the classroom but felt like my boss was always watching me on the cameras (yes, there were cameras + audio in every classroom).

At this particular school, lunch was provided and taken out of our paycheck. At my second, much better school that I found through a friend the year after, lunch was free.

After the morning kids left around 2:30-3:00 ish, we had a 20-minute period to get ready for our afternoon classes, when we taught elementary school kids. My students had a higher English level in the afternoon, so it was way easier. Also, the curriculum was more set. I taught 3-4 different age groups and levels. Every teacher had a different schedule for this particular school. Some teachers were done around 4-5pm, and other teachers weren't finished until 6:50. Teaching takes a ton of energy since you're on your feet all day, so keep that in mind when thinking about working there.

A note on sick days: They are pretty much non-existant in Korea. I got sick a few times and lost my voice and still came in to teach. Teachers who had more than 2-3 sick days got money taken out of their paychecks.

Overall, my first year in Korea using Footprints was one massive lesson. I used what I learned about Korean work culture to have a great second year at a different school. My first year was a culture schock I wasn't expecting, but I'm glad that I experienced it in the long run.

Sorry to say it, but I do not recommend Footprints. I'd recommend teaching English in Korea to anyone, but do your research first about what to expect when you get there! Hierarchy and harmony are HUGE.

Response from Footprints Recruiting

Hello Alexa - First of all thank you for leaving such a detailed account of your experiences. We would like to respond as there are multiple issue at play and we want to make sure future teachers are aware of what they're getting into.

First - the support received from Footprints. Coaching teachers on how to obtain the teaching visa is essential to what we do. To this extent, all teachers in the process of going to Korea receive a visa guide that explains in detail how to go about obtaining a visa. It's absolutely not rocket science, but can be confusing and seem daunting. I'm not sure how Footprints has let you down here? Teachers can always call or email the office with visa questions, and you'll receive a reply within 48 hours. Have you tried getting in touch with us?

Second - being prepared for a culture shock in a foreign country is something every teacher has to go through. We recommend people to read, read, talk to people who have been to Korea, talk to Korean people in your area and try and prepare mentally. Still, the culture shock can be great.

However, we would like to stress that dealing with culture shock is part of being an ESL teacher, and as a recruiter we cannot making arriving in a foreign country any easier - depending on the contract, we arrange airport pickup and show you to your school and/or apartment.

Footprints is a recruiting agency that helps engaged teachers secure professional employment abroad. Being accepted for a professional position with a professional salary sets certain expectations regarding your ability to improvise, adapt, persevere and handle the circumstances as they are on the ground.

rhowell
Kampala, Uganda
Valparaiso University

Teach in a public school in Incheon

I taught English in a public elementary school in Incheon, South Korea. I have fond memories of my whole year in Korea. While there were many challenges to living in a country where foreigners are such a small minority there were also many perks.

Incheon is a large city approximately thirty minutes by subway to Seoul. While it does not have the wealth of activities and culture of Seoul, there is plenty to do in the city and Seoul is an easy subway ride away. I lived a mere fifteen minute walk from my school and most of my friends could either walk or take public transit easily to their schools. Teaching in a public school means less classes to teach than private, and more dependable salary and more respect of the contract, more vacation days (more travel!). You also get a Korean co-teacher who helps teach and control the classroom with you. Co-teachers can often make or break your public school teaching experience. Sometimes if the level of English is low at your school and your teacher does not assist you, teaching can be incredibly frustrating. Also, public school teaching can be more monotonous than teaching at a private school because there are less individual lessons to teach in one day. Overall, I think public school teaching gives you more opportunities for travel, and more a cultural experience since you are generally the only foreigner in the entire school.

I thoroughly enjoyed living in Incheon, mainly because it is so close to Seoul which is a lively city with a wealth of music, art, museums, good restaurants, shopping, and cultural activities. Lastly, if you're missing home Seoul is the place to find familiarities from your home country.

coreyMO
Ulsan, South Korea
University of the Western Cape

Great experience in Ulsan

I went to Ulsan in 2011 with Footprints. Initially I wasn't all too sure about this whole thing, but I chose to push ahead anyway as I really didn't have much to do staying at home in Missouri.

Upon arrival I was put at ease immediately because we were received at the airport by Scott, who runs the Footprints office in Korea and is the go-to guy for the teachers. We got a footprints arrival package which was really cool, and were taken to our apartments. Scott is a great guy and as we were heading to town from the airport I really did feel like Footprints was the right choice to make.

I gotta say that I'm not a huge fan of the Korean housing, it's tiny and a little spartan in terms of decoration... however it is comfortable and you get used to the small space, if 25 million Koreans can get used to it I can too. Over the months I decorated the place a bit and it did become home.

Teachign was an awesome experience, very different from working with kids in the states as they're way better behaved. The school was great, the co-teachers were friendly and I was lucky enough to have a great restaurant around the corner with awesome Korean dishes... and some cheap soju for after work :)

Founded by English educators in 2001, Footprints Recruiting recruits native English speaking teachers and places them in safe, reputable English institutes and government programs worldwide.

We match clients with the best teachers for their programs, and we pride ourselves in our selection process. We support