Reach To Teach - English Teaching Jobs in Taiwan

Reach To Teach - English Teaching Jobs in Taiwan

Do you enjoy travel? Do you enjoy being around children? Do you think you have what it takes to be a creative and inspirational teacher? If so, then teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) may be the perfect opportunity for you. Reach to Teach staff are all former ESL teachers from countries around the world. We understand the business and care about our teachers and their students. The schools we represent are among the best in the business.

When you arrive at your school, our support does not end. We are there to help you through your exciting year of cultural challenges and adventures. We currently have many exciting opportunities in Taiwan. Reach to Teach is a FREE ESL Teacher Placement service. All you NEED is a 4 year degree, but you MUST have a great imagination and sense of adventure! If you would rather be experiencing the varied cultures of the world instead of the inside of a cubicle, this is for you!

Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
1 Year+
Salary / Benefits
We offer positions all over the island of Taiwan. The average salary for a first-year teacher is between $1,600 and $2,000USD. Some of our schools offer a flight stipend or a contract completion bonus, while others include paid holidays and other perks. The cost of living in Taiwan is extremely low, so you can expect to save a large portion of your paycheck once you're set up. Taiwan also offers an excellent Universal Health Care plan to all employees.
Kaohsiung, Taichung, Tainan

Hi, I'm keen to know more and apply for this program. I am located in Saudi Arabia at the moment. My current contract expires, May 2016. When is the best time to apply?

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Ismari
Swellendam, Western Cape, South Africa
University of Stellenbosch

100% for Reach to teach!

When I made the decision to teach abroad, I contacted a few recruitment agencies. Reach to teach responded within one day and I had an interview with them they day thereafter. Since then, through the whole process of packing up my life in one country to move to the next, Reach to Teach had been a constant support.
Reach to Teach has been there through every single obstacle I've faced in Taiwan (and I had my fair share) and Carrie Kellenberger is honestly the greatest! I would recommend this agency to anyone at any given time!

Abby
Taipei
University of British Columbia

Not a reputable agency

The school Reach to Teach placed me at was atrocious. I felt that it was a horrible working environment.

If you're unfamiliar with the area, reputable schools in Taipei create healthy learning environments that allow their students to thrive. It's a travesty that not all students are experiencing this type of education, but luckily this is not the case at many schools.

The fact that Reach to Teach aligns themselves with a school like this clearly demonstrates their lack of integrity, professionalism, and dedication to the teachers that join their agency.

Response from Reach to Teach

Dear Abby,

I’m sorry to say that we have no record of ever having placed a teacher in Taiwan by the name of Abby or Abigail, nor do we have any records of a person named Abby or Abigail being placed in any of our programs from the University of British Columbia.

As you didn’t list any reason as to why you thought the school was bad or what your problem was with your school, we are assuming that you have us confused with one of our competitors.

For any potential teachers reading this review, please have a look at the reviews below or the 120+ reviews on our Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/ReachToTeach/reviews. We do our best to take good care of all of our teachers.

For anyone who would like to speak to one of our current teachers to find out what our services are like, please email Carrie at [email protected] or John at [email protected]

We welcome anyone to get in touch with us about any of our programs.

Megan
Brock University

Highly Recommended!

Moving to Taiwan was a spontaneous decision that could not have happened without the help of and encouragement from Reach to Teach. After receiving a reminder that my TESL's groupon would soon expire, I figured I should do the course. Then, after completing the course, I figured I should have a look at what the ESL market had to offer.
I was immediately attracted to Reach to Teach owing to it's stellar ratings and reviews and decided to send them my documents to get more information. The next morning I had a warm and exciting email waiting from Carrie providing me with thorough information on the process. Her professionalism, passion for ESL Education and the expat life in Asia had me immediately hooked on the idea of moving to Taiwan. Through her incredible efforts, I was beginning my training at a great school (Kojen American School) in Taipei, less than a month later.

Since then, Reach to Teach has regularly checked in and hosted some fantastic events for teachers. I have not had any issues this far with relocating, getting set up in Taiwan or with the school I have been placed with. Carrie and the rest of the staff at Reach to Teach offered such sound advice on how to prepare, and have solid relationships with the schools they work with, ensuring an easy transition.

I would highly recommend Reach to Teach to anyone considering teaching overseas!

Kieran
University College London

A company that genuinely cares.

Reach to Teach are, from my experience, an exceptionally professional and personable company. The recruitment and interview process was straightforward, and following it, I was in regular contact before leaving for Taiwan. Just as an example of the attention and care they have: before leaving I mentioned as an aside that I planned to travel with a bulky item. I was immediately sent details on restricted items and information from a number of websites and threads, as well as their own research from asking colleagues and friends. Since arriving six months ago I have received emails about regular events they host and other updates. This is a company that genuinely cares.

intaiwan
taipei

Highly recommended !

I highly recommend Reach to Teach! This is my first teaching job abroad (in Taiwan) and as you might expect I was a little nervous about finding a job with a reputable school and moving half way across the world. From submitting my application, Reach to Teach were excellent. They replied quickly to emails and phone calls, and were very supportive throughout the application process and once I arrived in Taipei. Importantly I felt under no pressure to take a position unless I was completely satisfied with the job on offer. In country RTT regularly arrange social events that make it easy to connect with other teachers/friends and offer a great deal of advice.

As a first time teacher I would defiantly advice using Reach to Teach to find a suitable employer.

I can't think of anything I would change about the RTT service.

MichelleB
Miami University

High Quality Organization

I knew I chose the right program once I started getting quick emails and phone calls directly from the owner and colleagues. Moving across the world can be a daunting, but rewarding experience and Reach to Teach made it such a easy and welcoming change. If I needed any assistance though out the on boarding process they were always there, and very attentive. Reach to Teach follows up with you throughout the experience making sure you're happy, comfortable and really enjoying your time and adjusting properly. I definitely recommend going through Reach to Teach to anyone who wants a personal experience.

I honestly can't think of anything wrong. I was fully informed and taken care of throughout the whole experience.

Kelly
Changhua, Taiwan
School of Oriental and African Studies

Go with Reach to Teach if you want to teach in Taiwan

I am currently working in Changhua, a small city in central Taiwan. I was hired through Reach to Teach, and am incredibly grateful for the support I’ve received from them.

Back in Canada, I spent endless hours researching various English teaching opportunities in countries all over, and after many different applications, interviews and a few offers, I had a tough decision to make about which country (and company) to choose in the end. The Global Director of Recruiting made it easy for me to feel that Taiwan and Reach to Teach were the right choice. After six months on the job, I’m still glad I made that decision.

From the start of my journey, the Director of Recruiting has been friendly and professional. Because she comes from Canada and has lived in Taiwan for so long, she can relate well with new teachers while providing a bridge for understanding and adapting to Taiwan. She has been available to answer any questions or concerns throughout the entire process both before and after arriving.

Reach to Teach also hold regular events to help teachers broaden a network here in Taiwan. I’ve really enjoyed getting to know such a high caliber group of people, and look forward to the next events! Life in Changhua is a little slow, so a trip to Taipei is a nice treat—and just a quick HSR (high speed rail) ride away.

Taiwan is a wonderful country, the pay is pretty good, the food is excellent, and the people are friendly. The language is difficult and takes real commitment to learn, especially if you focus a lot of energy on your lesson plans and teaching English. My recommendation is to find a language exchange partner—one of the best things I've done since coming here. Also, if you get a scooter you'll magnify your enjoyment tenfold. (At first, I never thought I would brave the roads here on a scooter myself, but it turns out it was just inevitable, and it opens up a whole new perspective!)

I’m glad I made the choice to come to Taiwan, and I’m glad I came with Reach to Teach.

In addition to the awesome events held in Taipei, some sort of network with other programs/schools in the smaller cities (such as Changhua) would be helpful—though of course is asking a lot! But if I'm being honest, it is difficult to meet other expats here without going to Taichung or Taipei. While I enjoy the school, the kids are fantastic, and Reach to Teach has been incredibly supportive, from what I’ve experienced so far, the social scene for foreign teachers in Changhua is lacking. However, of course the upside is you can immerse yourself more thoroughly into the wonderful Taiwanese culture.

SeeKeller
George Washington University

They've got your back

Reach to Teach is a solid resource for new teachers, veteran ESL folks, or English speaking people thinking of teaching in Asia. Their customer service is top notch. The staff walked me through all the aspects of getting the job: the job search, interviews, demo, follow up, and job acceptance! Additionally, they have provided insightful advice to me while in my current position. What’s best is that they host socials every so often to ensure that you can meet people in your new community. I was surprised to learn that they are the ONLY recruiting company in Taiwan that does not charge its customers a finder’s fee. I feel lucky to have worked with them and would recommend them to anyone, especially those looking to teach in Taiwan.

If I could change one thing, it would be to have found out about Reach to Teach earlier in the process, like before I left home. Using their connections might've made the transition easier, but I am happy nonetheless.

Andrew

Satisfied Public School Teacher

Having previously taught in South Korea for a few years, I had plenty of experience living and working in Asia. However, the transition to a new country with a new system/visa requirements can be chaotic. Upon hearing excellent reviews from friends, I was able to work with Rick from Reach to Teach and I am very satisfied with the overall experience.

Rick and Steve accompanied me to my new job on the first day in order to sign the contract and translate. They also gave me excellent advice regarding what documents I should gather along with what to expect. In Taiwan, the Visa process is much different than Korea but their ongoing support made this effortless.

Furthermore, the fact that Reach to Teach has so many amazing events once you are in the country allows for you to easily transition into a new culture and meet some great people along the way.

Coco
Taipei

Reach To Teach is Wonderful

RTT has long term relationships with the schools they work with and will help you with any problems that may arise.
The day to day management of the school was very supportive and gave flexibility in how we as teachers could express ourselves.
Difficulties only cam with some communication between management and the owners on issues of bonus compensation and other benefits.

More follow up after being placed.

Teacher123

Great Service

Reach to Teach is a great service and I highly recommend them to anyone looking to find a teaching job in Taiwan. The staff are super helpful and always willing to lend a hand in any problems that might arise. 10/10

megs84
Taiwan

Reach To Teach really cares about their teachers.

I've been teaching ESL for several years now. I taught in South Korea for two years before making the decision to move to Taiwan. I found both of my teaching positions through Reach To Teach, and my recruiters were excellent. Their correspondence was always on time. I received numerous phone calls and check-ins from both of my recruiters during the job hunting process. They took time to answer my questions and helped me navigate through contracts and visa procedures. The schools that I was placed at were good schools that paid well and took care of me. My favorite part about Reach To Teach is their monthly events. They don't hold a lot of events in South Korea, but the Taiwan events were a lot of fun and I had a support network in place within my first month of moving to Taiwan, and Reach To Teach's support was on-going throughout my time abroad. I have recommended Reach To Teach to a number of friends and co-workers over the years, not only because their services are free, but also because it's a great organization that genuinely seems to care for their teachers.

jennioos
San Francisco, California
Massey University

Teaching in Taipei

It's been a couple years, but I had an overall great experience. Working with the children was extremely rewarding, but the school never paid me for overtime when they asked me to stay behind to make backdrops and decorations. I think it's a cultural thing, because in the U.S. we always got paid for overtime. Just be careful of that, so that they don't take advantage of your time. The pay was great though, and after my year of teaching I got to go on a huge 2 month trip throughout Asia. I believe we visited 9 countries, and still had money left over! The people I met there were great, and Taiwanese people are incredibly nice, though a little shy, so you need to give them a chance to warm up to you. :)

Taiwanren
Taipei, Taiwan

Very helpful and legit program.

Reach to Teach was very professional and gave me a very good idea of what to expect in Taiwan. They had a thorough interview process and even helped me develop a demo for the interview process at the new school. When I had a problem with my contract they were their to help me immediately. Life in Taipei is amazing and offers tons of opportunities to learn Chinese/Taiwanese culture (martial arts, meditation, qi gong, tea ect) but also has a pretty good social scene. Unfortunately, my first year I was stationed in Taoyuan which a smaller but still busy and polluted city outside of Taipei, which didn't offer much in terms social life or groups suitable for foreigners to learn Chinese culture.

kbelle
Vermont
St. John's Central College- Cork

great support from reach to teach

I used R2T to secure a job in Taiwan. Since I wasn't living in Taipei, I didn't participate in most of the organized activities for teachers. However, I was always invited and when I did go I met lots of great people. R2T was really supportive during my transition to teaching and helpful when I needed something. The job that they helped me get was an honest, fine job. Not the very best possible, but safe, honest and more than just ok. I would definitely recommend using R2T to a friend who wasn't too confident about going without a recruiter.

andrewbudrobinson
I'm in Taipei, Taiwan (ROC).
Colorado State University

Pretty Swell Company

Getting a job through Reach to Teach was extremely pleasant. Carrie helped me out every step of the way, and I made it to Taipei safe and sound. I was able to find an apartment the first week and started teaching not but two weeks in. My job placement was great, and I'm very happy to be where I am. No difficulties yet to report.

alm004

Reach to Teach is great!

My experience with RTT has been amazing. They were incredibly supportive in helping me find my teaching job and patiently answered my many questions. They helped me find a job that was exactly what I was looking for and gave me accurate, honest information. Since I have been in Taiwan, their support has been even more valuable and has gone far above and beyond what I expected. They have given me information on everything from teaching materials to local places to hang out. Their monthly social events have helped me develop a social network here, which is very comforting in an unfamiliar country. Everyone from RTT is totally approachable and always available to help.

TeacherPeter
Nanjing, China
Carnegie Mellon University

Best Agency in Taiwan

Agents in the ESL world don't have the best reputation, and for the most part for good reason. They connect teachers with jobs and take a cut, whether directly from the teacher or from the school. A lot of agencies also get involved in other shady practices. If you use an agency, you're going to get paid less than if you find a good job on your own. There's no way around this.
So, why use an agency? It's actually very hard to sift the good schools from the bad. Working conditions can get pretty terrible on the bad side of things. If you're applying from your home country, it's virtually impossible to know what you're getting into. If you're already there and you do a great deal of research, you still won't really know until you get there. Reach to teach has been around for a while and they have longstanding relationships with a variety of schools.
As far as Agencies go, Reach to Teach is hands down the most responsible I have come across. They are very straightforward and they put a great deal of effort into finding the right job for each candidate. Reach also offers a strong social network and ongoing support to teachers once they arrive and throughout their year long contract. Whether or not you chose to use an agent or not is really up to you. If you use an agent, I strongly suggest you chose Reach to Teach.

Barlo
Bangkok, T-bone-land
University of Pittsburgh

Smart Service, Great Social Scene, Loved Taiwan

I had a great experience with Reach to Teach. They set me, and my girlfriend us in Taipei. We were set up in different schools, by they were nearby.

All for the better that we went to different schools, as we broke up about 3 weeks after arriving in Taipei. Remember that song, 'It wasn't me,' yea...well...

Reach to teach put me in a quality school, with pay that was better than average for Taipei. Good social events, and I met some great people through those.

Though Reach to Teahc didnt offer much to help me find housing, I would certainly recommend them strongly.

Andrew

Reach to Teach Can Be Trusted

It has been my good fortune to know the founder of Reach to Teach (RTR) for over a decade both as a friend and as a recruiter. The school I work for has had a long and close relationship with this recruiting agency and it has sent many foreign teachers to us. I am actually a little envious of RTR teachers. My first six months in Taiwan was a rocky experience. Comparatively speaking, RTR rolls out the red carpet for it's teachers that leads straight to the school they are going to work for. As a former manager of 12 foreign teachers, they would liaise with us concerning the teachers they had. After a choice was made we were informed of the teacher's arrival date. RTR arranged for a limousine service to take them to their initial accommodation. Sweet! In a number of cases, new foreign teachers stayed at my home initially. Even after they arrived at our school RTR would check in with them to see if everything was alright and if they were settling in properly. Sometimes a representative would accompany a new teacher to our school or simply come by to touch base with their teachers and with management. There was even a situation I recall where someone from RTR came in to mediate on behalf of one of their teachers who had some concerns long after they had started working for us. I have found Reach to Teach to be professional, dependable and trustworthy. Whether you are a school in need of foreign teachers or a teacher looking for a job I can recommend Reach to Teach to you.

Yours sincerely,

Andrew Burgon
Senior Foreign Teacher
Kid Castle American Language School
Ing Chuen Branch

Ashley
Winnipeg, Manitoba
University of Manitoba

Besides a great job, also provides amazing support!

I couldn't have been happier with the service provided by Reach to Teach. After having dealt with a number of questionable recruiting agencies while looking for a teaching job from Canada, it was such a relief to connect with Reach to Teach. Once completing a phone interview (where my Grandma said I couldn't come to the phone as I was in the bathroom), Reach to Teach helped to find me a great job.
Their service didn't just end at finding me a job. Upon arriving to the new and exciting, yet extremely overwhelming country of Taiwan, members of the Reach to Teach staff helped me to adjust to my new home and meet new friends. They regurlarly plan really fun social events that give you the opportunity to meet teachers that have been there for years, as well as those that are just arriving. The events also gave the opportunity to experience different activities or parts of the city. It ALWAYS included amazing, local food, and usually some refreshing beverages. I met some of my closest friends through these events. The staff at Reach to Teach were also useful in helping if any questions or issues arose, or if you just wanted someone to chat with.
Since returning to Canada, I have recommended Reach to Teach to any of my friends that show interest in teaching overseas!

Reach
South Africa

Great Program

Reach to Teach was a perfect fit. I met a great group of fellow teachers from all over the world, worked in a supportive school close to my place and could not of enjoy Taiwan anymore.

BAE

Great Recruiting!

Reach to Teach is the first and only recruiting company that assisted in helping me get my teaching position in New Taipei City, Taiwan. I came to Taiwan independently and decided to apply/interview for positions in country. After a week of many teaching positions, unsuccessful interviews and a lot of frustration, I came across RTT's ad looking for teachers to fill positions, and sent my resume immediately. A recruiter got back to me on the same day and I was already impressed with the person I spoke to - with their questions and information. Unlike other recruiting agencies, and after 4 months of being hired, RTT has managed to do their best to be a support and help. I receive monthly emails and invites to social events for the foreign teachers. This is why I rated RTT a good agency to contact for finding a teaching position overseas! Whenever anyone asks me about teaching overseas, I will definitely refer them to check out RTT.

I am satisfied with the school I work at. The things I enjoy about being there are the overall atmosphere and the kids I teach. I incorporate a lot of creativity in my lessons - playing a lot of BINGO, competitive word and sentence games, and use a reward system for good behavior and hard work during the week. The thing that has been challenging for me is to keep up with all the information I have to remember - but I best organize by keeping a schedule/planner I look at daily. As for adapting to Taiwan, the culture and other things, it's a great place to teach and live. I try to keep an open mind and a positive attitude, and I think that's what's helped me get through the challenges and unexpected things that I've encountered.

joymeckes
Paris, France
Chapman University

Reach to Teach in Taiwan

Reach to Teach got me my first TEFL job ever in Taiwan. At first glance, it almost seemed too good to be true, but it really exceeded my expectations.

After being waitlisted for the JET program, which was an extremely long process, I was very eager to find another way to get to Asia. I applied to RTT, and was surprised by how quickly they got back to me. I had an interview with Mitch within a few days, and got a decision almost immediately. Even though it was already May and I wanted to be there by the end of June, RTT managed to match me with a school and help me get my papers in order so quickly, that I got there before July.

Throughout my time in Taiwan, RTT was a great resource for socializing and getting to know Taipei. They regularly organized weekend activities, and I made some lifelong friends during my time there. Really, I couldn't be more pleased with how much they helped me. Taiwan was a life-changing year for me, and I couldn't have experienced it without RTT. I strongly recommend them if you're considering teaching in Taiwan.

Charlotte88
Hsinchu, Taiwan
University of Canterbury

Reach to Teach

I found the support given by RTT to be really great. The monthly meetings (although I have only been to one) are a great way to meet other teachers and it was nice to meet other people who were also just new in Taiwan and in the same boat as me. I trust RTT selects the schools carefully and I know if I have any troubles I can go to Carrie for help. The school I am at is really friendly, and although the first week has had quite a few challenges, I am really happy to be teaching there for the next year.

I would recommend anyone looking to teach in Taiwan to use RTT. It is such a new and confusing experience moving to a new country and having support really does make all the difference.

portteach
New York, NY
State University of New York

An opportunity to teach in Asia

Reach to Teach found a set me up with a great program to teach ESL in Taiwan. They were courteous and very pro-active as far as finding a placement for me. I would recommend Reach to Teach to anyone looking to teach ESL in a foreign country.

Alan
Okcheon, Korea
University of Pretoria

Reach to Teach

I was impressed by the additional support offered by RTT. When the time came to renegotiate my contract, I contacted the RTT guys and asked for some help. I got taken to coffee and a chat. Mitch Gordon wanted to know what I was looking for. From that point he guided me and help me get exactly what I wanted. With his help we weighed up the possible options. When the time came to negotiate, I got more than I expected. RTT areprofessional and well organised. THey also, ulike many other recruiters are prepared to do what they promise.

Annanaqu
NYC
Binghamton University

If you're going to teach in Taiwan, do it HERE!

Mitch and the support at RTT are trustworthy, well organized and fun. Taiwan can be an intimating place so its great to be set up with a group of bright-eyed teachers in the same position.

Highly, highly recommended! Get out there and explore :)

Alex
Chicago
Arizona State University

A Great Experience with Reach To Teach from Interview to Contract Expiry

Reach To Teach was side by side with me during my initial research process, through the interview and acceptance stage, at my arrival in Taiwan, and during my year.... they even gave me nice fair well to boot.

The company structure is extremely solid and professional and the people working for RTT maintain this reputation. Right off the bat I found the company was responsive, informative, honest, and genuine. I never felt I was being "sold" or pushed to do something but rather I always felt I was having a conversation with a group of people that were genuinely trying to find the best fit for me.

RTT answered all my questions in the time leading up to my arrival in Taiwan and really helped me prepare physically and psychologically. Then, upon arrival, I had the chance to meet with other RTT teachers through sponsored events and networking implemented by RTT.

During the year I had a few small problems and RTT staff were always willing to help. They created an incredible environment for me during my year in Taiwan both on the professional side (teaching) and the social side. It was truly one of the best years of my life and some of the people I met during that year have remained as some of my best friends.

Honestly, Reach To Teach is an incredibly well run company that provides professional service, expert advice, and genuine care for teachers. They have my full endorsement!!

VSage
Toronto, Canada
Ryerson University

Very Dedicated and Helpful Organization

When my boyfriend and I decided to teach English in Taiwan we showed up at a hostel with a little money, no experience and a lot of hope. We contacted Reach to Teach after we arrived and they were very quick to respond. When we first sat down for an interview we thought they were too good to be true, it must be a scam! We couldn't have been more wrong. They were totally genuine, knowledgeable and truly dedicated to putting good teachers with good schools. They placed us in jobs within 2 weeks and were there for us until the day we left. The support was amazing. Reach to Teach is more like a community than a recruiting agency. I attribute my great experience in Taiwan to finding Reach to Teach.

As any ESL Teacher can tell you, finding a good teaching job abroad can be difficult. Similarly, a lot of ESL schools feel that finding a good teacher is equally difficult. This is where we at Reach To Teach come in. Our motto is matching