API- Paid Teach English in Vietnam

Teaching English is one of the most budget-friendly ways to travel, give back to a community, immerse yourself in a new culture, and gain practical teaching experience. Appreciation of cultural diversity and English language skills are increasingly necessary in a global economy. You can help others to expand their personal and professional opportunities, and broaden your own perspective, through your interactions within the school and community. Live abroad while doing something inspiring, fun, and valuable!

API has established strong relationships with schools, language academies, and Ministries of Education around the world to connect teachers, students, and communities. Classroom education experience and foreign language proficiency are helpful, but not required in all destinations. Participants without prior experience teaching English in the US or abroad may wish to enroll in the optional TEFL course we offer. Contact your Program Manager for details.

Cultural Embrace by API is now known simply as API. API (Academic Programs International) has been the parent company of Cultural Embrace since 2012, and API has sent thousands of students abroad since 1997. Our name has changed, but our mission will remain the same. We still aim to transform lives by providing enriching experiential programs abroad that foster increased self-knowledge, cultural sensitivity and understanding of the global nature of our contemporary world.
  • Guaranteed position to teach English
  • Local salary paid to teacher = roughly 16,000,000 VND/month
  • Vietnamese language lessons offered free a few times each semester

• Benefits 5
  • Facilities 5.5
J

Troubling experience with Academic Programs International (API)

I worked at ASEM English center in Vinh, Vietnam, through API, in 2016. I and the 6 other teachers I lived with, some of whom were university students and some of whom were independent clients, expressed some very serious concerns about our safety and about the mistreatment of both Vietnamese and foreign employees at the site that API has refused to address and that continue unmitigated as of 2018. API has never sent a represnetative to visit the site or to meet your employers. They have no knowledge of conditions at the site and know very little about the city more generally. After you pay them and arrive in Vietnam, they will not help you.

I cannot emphasize this enough: there are many, many English centers in Vinh and throughout Vietnam, and you do not need to pay API or any other third party to be able to work at them.

Response from API

API takes feedback from current and former participants very seriously. API was notified by the participant on-site that he was unhappy with certain aspects of the program design and API intervened to address his concerns, after which he expressed his thanks. In recent days, the applicant expressed continued concerns that are currently under investigation. As per API policy, our organization continually solicits feedback from teachers on-site to ensure they are satisfied with the program and API’s efforts to support them in it. An initial review of evaluative feedback from the last 12 months indicates that returning teachers would recommend the program to future teachers.

No, I don't recommend
Dustin

Friendly Staff Connected Me to a Life-Changing Experience

I was passionate to work in a developing country to help students learn English, the language that connects us all. The staff at API were equally passionate about helping me get to Vietnam and embark on the adventure that would change my life. I immediately fell in love with my students and the people in Vinh. The country has become my second home, and API made the connection between me and this wonderful place.

The communication was very friendly and detailed, but sometimes quite delayed and missing important information.

About API

College students may study abroad with API in over two dozen countries across Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East. With a wide variety of courses offered in almost every major discipline and in various languages of instruction, it is...