13-Day Budget Japan Tour with The Dragon Trip

Age
Min. 18 years
16 travelers saved this program

About This Program

Our 13-day tour will show off the many sides of Japan in an action-packed itinerary. Not only will you see the main sights in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and elsewhere, but the Dragon Trip itinerary allows you to fully immerse yourself in Japanese culture. There’s a sushi making lesson, a calligraphy class, a visit to the sumo district, trips to local bathhouses and – of course – karaoke. (Don't worry, the last one is optional.) The 13 days also includes plenty of opportunities to explore Japan’s beautiful countryside, with its shrines, temples and endless hiking trails.

• Make sushi, learn calligraphy and practice zen meditation with local masters.
  • See all the unmissable sites like Mt Fuji, Hiroshima Peace Park, and the Shibuya Crossing.
  • Waste no time traveling as you zoom between cities on bullet trains.
  • Unwind in a hot spring in the shadow of Mt Fuji.
  • Enjoy cosplay karaoke, Japanese arcade games and real-life Mario kart racing with your fellow trip-goers.

Day 1-4: Tokyo-- For your first breakfast here you will be heading to Tokyo's iconic Tsukiji fish market to have the freshest sashimi you will ever have. You will then get to try your hand at making sushi and of course you get to eat it after. Visit the Anime and Manga hub of Japan0 Akihabara. While you are in Tokyo, you will have the chance to participate in many add on tours like: Real Life Mario Kart, Sumo Wrestling, or going to a local bathhouse

Day 5: Kamakura-- After spending a few days in the modern capital of Tokyo, it will be time to head the medieval capital- Kamakura, home to the first shoguns. Once you have seen the famous Great Buddha Statue, you can head to one of the many beachside bars and watch the sunset. Here you have the option to rent a surfboard for the evening.

Day 6: Hakone-- With a few trains and bus rides, you will arrive a beautiful Lake Ashi, where you will board a pirate ship! From here, you will cross the lake and get an awe-inspiring view of Mt. Fuji. One more journey, this time by an epic cable-car, you will get dropped of at Oowakudani- an active volcano site. Here you can try black eggs, a local delicacy that gets its coloring from the sulphuric water that its boiled in. After a long day journeying, you can soak in a traditional Japanese bath that is characterized by its sulphuric water.

Day 7-10: Kyoto-- On day 7 you will have your first bullet train experience to get to Kyoto. This city is filled with culture and you will see that in their temples, shrines and – of course – stunning geishas. There is a large student population which means that there is a great music scene- we recommend starting in Kawaramachi. For a quintessential Kyoto experience, we recommend attending a live geisha performance or wandering through Pontocho alley while sipping on sake and watching for geishas. One of your last days in Kyoto we will start the day with a boat trip down the Hozuwaga River and head up to the Arashiyama Monkey Park where you can feed monkeys. Day 9 will be a calming day to recuperate from the day before, we will go to one of the oldest sake breweries and finish the day with a calligraphy class.

Day 11: Hiroshima--At the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, you will find out how this city came to suffer the consequences of the world’s first atomic bomb, but you will also learn that Hiroshima is now the standard bearer for a peaceful and nuclear-free world.

Day 12-13: Osaka-- For your final destination, you will arrive to the Shiaibashi area just in time for Lunch- we recommend filling up on yakitori, ramen, or sushi. Now its time to hop on the subway to Osaka castle to explore the enormous moat and nine level donjon. In the evening, we will see who our Dragon Trip Arcade Challenge Champion is and then walk to the Dotonobri riverfront. Here we will be surrounded by eating, drinking, gaming and club options galore. For your last night, you will sleep in a quintessential capsule hotel

What's Included
Airfare
Meals
Some Activities
Travel Insurance

Although we don't provide meals for you, you will constantly be surrounded by the best Japanese food. You will have ample opportunity to stuff yourself with Ramen, Sushi, Sashimi, Yakitori, and anything else your heart desires. You will get to compliment all of your food by washing it down with some sake.

Throughout your trip with us, you will stay in many different types of housing. One of the most iconic Japanese lodgings is the capsule hotel, where you will spend your last night. On day 5 you will spend your night at a beachside hostel, where you can either enjoy a night sitting in the sand or try your hand at surfing!

Hosted by The Dragon Trip

The Dragon Trip is an adventure tour operator that specializes in affordable, off-the-grid trips in China, Japan, and Southeast Asia. Whether it is camping on the Great Wall in Beijing or learning to make sushi in Tokyo, we provide travelers with one...

Availability

Two Weeks
$2262 USD

• Staff 9.5
  • Organization 8.1
Catherine

Catherine’s Trip

Travelling via public transportation allowed us to connect with ordinary Japanese people. The diversity of trips and experiences gave us a wonderful glimpse of an amazing country and has encouraged me to want to revisit Japan on my own. Will definitely be back to Japan as there’s too much to see.

Favourite experiences include the food and the Tokyo Municipal Building.

All this was helped by the great group of people I found myself traveling with.

Skip the hostel in Hiroshima and reduce the reliance on Snapchat
Tracey

Japan November 2017

My first overseas experience going solo. Choose Japan as looks safe and interesting. I was not disappointed. The tour is suitable for all ages of fitness levels are good as there is a lot of walking and stairs. The places visited were varied to cater for different interests. Nighttime activities are varied but can be missed if tired. Tour leader “Alan” was fabulous, entertaining and hot on great with all members of the group.

Communication to entire grou not just some.
Shreya

Fun and adventurous!

The dragontrip was a great way to experience the highlights of Japan! The trip covered various cities which explored a great mix of culture and modern everyday life. Got to explore many different aspects of the cities such as food, temples, shrines and museums. The accommodation of hostels we stayed at were clean , tidy and the staff were friendly. The guide was knowledgeable, friendly and approachable. The group was targetted towards young adults who want to explore culture, history and also the booming nightlife of Japan has to offer! Overall the trip was short and sweet and covered the right amount of cities in the time frame and was all laid out!

Better time management skills. More warning for the amount of walking and hiking the trip has I'm offer
Gabrielle

Japan

Japan is a fantastic county and I will be coming back in the future to explore further. The trip had a range of activities which were all really good. I was happy that all travel was included it made it easy to get around. All cost of activities was included too and it was really good to have a last night out in Osaka in the arcades and having drinks in the hostel. I really enjoyed the calligraphy lesson. Seeing the robot show in Tokyo was interesting to see too, there was so much to do in every city that we went to.

Champi

Perfect balance of everything

Great way to see and experience a lot of Japan. A good balance was achieved in regards to seeing sights, tasting food, experiencing nature, and getting involved in the culture. A lot of walking involved - which I found was a good way to explore the cities/towns as well as a way of getting amongst the nature during the many hikes. Fun group of mostly 20-30 year old people made it an ideal way of sharing the experience with like-minded people. The only downside was that the details of each day were often left to the very last minute - making ir difficult to plan out what what to wear, what to carry in the backpack etc. Hostels were all nice, clean, comfortable and central. Alan, the tour guide, provided excellent history and information throughout, with useful top tips on where to go eat and drink across the country. Overal, excellent tour!

A little more detail provided regarding each day's itinerary/activities (preferably the night before each day) to allow us to better plan.
Jessica

Best trip Ever!

This was my first trip outside of my country and was really nervous since I could not speak the language. But with help of our leader and the awesome people I got to know and become friends and had the time of my life! I could always count on the leader to know what to do and helped us all bond. The hostels we were placed in were clean comfy and the staff always did there best to make me comfortable. He did not hound us to go fast or yell at us I felt very comfortable around him.

Have the times we would be getting up in the morning put in the itinerary.
Sander

Moē out of 10:

Great tour, Alan was an amazing tour guide who new so much about the sights/subjects that the museums had less info aboit the subject. Lead us to amazing "of the book" places that we wouldn't have discoverd were he not oir tour guide. Gonna miss you Alan!

Ryan

Just amazing!!

One of the greatest experiences I have ever had!! My group was amazing and the country is outstanding and this trip made me love the culture the people and the FOOD! The trip truly gave me the experience of what Japan is both modern and old from the hustle and bustle of Tokyo to the Beauty of Kamakura and hokone. Alan did a incredible job to keep it fun and will defiantly be returning.

Johan

Awesome

People make it or break it and this was the best trip i ever had!
I was really happy to have alan as our tourguide, really cool guide

Would recommend to others!

But i dont get why we have to wrte 400 characters, im a guy with not so many words

If its most around 20-30 years old, they better stay in that range and not alot older, its more fun to do something with the whole group than just a few people
Sarah

First tour

This was my first tour to japan and I absolutely loved it! The tour guide was fun and easy to talk to. I’ve really enjoyed my time on the tour making new friends! Would recommend this tour to anyone. I’m glad that I will take away new memories and treasure them for ever. The activities on the tour was so enjoyable too and I felt relaxed about the tour and didn’t feel uneased. I would look into doing more tours in the future.

More information on history
Francesca

Japan

This trip was fantastic! I wish the trip description had been more specific about the physical requirements of the trip, since some of the hikes were very difficult. I think the trip should only be for younger people. We had older people who couldn't do the hokes and didn't really integrate with the group due to the age difference. Also, the capsule hotel was not very nice. WeBase was fantastic, as was the guest house.

A little more organization: have the tickets of places line up already so we don't waste time buying them.