Natalie Southwick

Volunteer Abroad Expert

Member for

5 years

Natalie has made appearances in 16 different countries to date. Her favorite is definitely Colombia, where she spent 3.5 years ogling mountains on a daily basis, eating an overwhelming amount of arepas and working with human rights organizations. She's currently finishing up a master's degree in Denver, where her main activities are trying not to get in fights about Boston sports teams and attempting to convince herself that the Rocky Mountains are just as good as the Andes, even though we all know that's not true. She exists at @nsouthwick, her blog, and on Google+.

Travel Experience
0-5 Countries
Traveling in Central or South America? These hostels in Latin America are beautiful, colorful, and fun to stay at. Add them to your itinerary to kick your next trip up a notch!
Curious how to transition from studying abroad to living abroad? Lifelong traveler Simone shares insights in our latest interview about how you can study abroad and stay abroad.
When Natalie began writing for us at Go Overseas five years ago, she had no idea how much she would experience. Hear her share lessons she learned from her time as one of our longest contributors.
Can you turn your passion for teaching into a career abroad? One woman did, and you can too! Read our latest interview to see how she transitioned from Canadian study abroad student to teacher in Belgium, Singapore, and beyond.
Need some sun this semester? Consider choosing a study abroad destination near the beach. Here are 11 of the best beach destinations and tips for studying abroad there.
Hey there, new grad! Ready to teach abroad? We've collected 9 of the coolest teaching opportunities available for the coming years, so you can snag a cool placement and travel the world too.
When Emily studied abroad in Chile as a college student, she had no idea it would begin her down a career path abroad. Read her interview to learn more.
2017 is the Year of Sustainable Travel, according to the UN World Tourism Organization. What does this really mean, how can you decipher the language around sustainable tourism providers, and what are your responsibilities as a traveler? Read on to learn more.
If studying abroad has only reinforced your desire to spend the rest of your life overseas, you might be wondering what's the best way to turn that experience and interest into a post-college career move. The harsh truth is, there isn't one right way to do this -- in fact, almost...
There are oh-so-many reasons to pencil a gap year into your life plan. A well-planned gap year can help with college applications, boost your resume, help you switch fields, or just give you a change of pace and chance for a fresh start. But there's also a practical aspect to it....

My Guides

Most schools and
How long do you teach in Chile for? 11/01/2016
Hi Lauren,
As Ally wrote,
Is it necessary to have certification to teach English abroad? I have a four year degree. 11/01/2016
Hi Lola,
This depends what
Is Bolivia a good teach abroad destination? 11/01/2016
Hi Dianna,
Unfortunately
I understand that the employer will sponsor the work visa, but will they also sponsor a dependent's school visa ? 11/01/2016
Hi Pete,
If you're already
Is it possible to leave your teach program/school early? 11/01/2016
Hi Danny,
The short answer
Will my TEFL certification be enough to get a teaching job? 11/01/2016
Hi Dagny,
I'd second Lauren's
Are there any graduate degree programs in environmental science in Latin America taught partially in English? 11/01/2016
Hi Lucy,
You absolutely can
Can you study abroad twice? 11/01/2016
Hi Zachary,
This is a bit of
What is the biggest challenge for a student that will be studying abroad for the first time? 10/19/2016
Hi Mara,
This is really
Is it better to study abroad during the fall or spring semester? 09/29/2016
Hi Harriett,
You should
Are there any programs/countries that welcome seasoned teachers 65 and older? 09/29/2016
Hi Angela,
Is it better to stay in an apartment, dorm or homestay? 09/15/2016
Hi Tanner,
I'd definitely say
Do people eat out or cook more? 09/15/2016
In general, if you sign up to If I plan to teach for a year in South Korea, would I stay in 1 school the whole year? Or can you get transferred? 08/30/2016