Oceans 2 Earth: Volunteer with Australian Wildlife

Oceans 2 Earth: Volunteer with Australian Wildlife

Oceans 2 Earth is an Australian not for profit organisation specialising in volunteering projects for animal lovers and offers a wide range of exclusive Australian animal welfare projects committed to the rescue, care, rehabilitation and release of Australian wildlife. Volunteer activities include bottle feeding joeys, feeding the animals, exercising wombats, collecting gum leaves for koalas and preparing the animals’ food, scrubbing sea turtles’ shells, cleaning enclosures, hand rearing baby bats, assisting in animal rescues and emergency treatment, providing animal enrichments, building nesting boxes and feeders, undertaking environmental education activities, beach clean ups, working in an Intensive Care Unit and research assistance such as the GPS tracking of marine wildlife.

Animals requiring care include koalas, kangaroos, dingos, wallabies, wombats, possums, turtles, flying foxes, bandicoots, wallaroos, lizards, snakes, emus, echidnas and birds of prey plus many more!

Oceania » Australia
Project fees vary by location and project duration and start from $470 AUD for one week. Accommodation and meal options vary for each project.

Project fees include:
Certificate of Participation, if requested

Ilse
Utrecht

Kangaloola Wildlife Shelter

I was a volunteer at Kangaloola for almost 4 weeks and I had an amazing time! In these 4 weeks I was surrounded by Australian animals and it was just amazing seeing how the animals live and behave. I loved cuddling with the kangaroos and feeding them. The people at the Shelter are just the best and they are very kind. I would definitely recomend this project to any oneindig who loves animals and who doesn't mind working hard!

Chloe
Jersey, Channel Islands

West Coast Wildlife

I loved my time at the Darling range, everybody was so friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable, which meant that when it came to my time to leave, I really felt as though I had learnt a lot. The support from the regular volunteers was great, I had a very hands on experience, I had a chance to try everything at least once and everybody made sure that we were involved. I would 100% recommend this project to anyone wanting a hands on, learning experience and I would definitely return! :)

A roster being put into place would assist new volunteers with knowing where they should be and what they are doing on their first few days at the project.

rebecca
United Kingdom

Great Barrier Reef Turtle Rehabilitation

I fell in love with Cairns and Fitzroy Island! You get to imagine what life on a paradise island would be like - it was an amazing opportunity to work so closely with the turtles at the rehab centre. This project gives you the chance to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone! Jenny is an amazing woman, she puts 110% into her work and she couldn't have made us feel more welcome. I will miss everything about this project including all the regular volunteers.

I think the price is a little too high.

Jen
USA
School of the Art Institute of Chicago

Home Away From Home

I cannot praise the Australian Forest Wildlife program enough! They are doing such amazing things to help animals and promote welfare for the incredible species that live in such a unique part of the world. This place felt like home as soon as I stepped through the gate. Glenda and Sarah are absolute super heroes and it was beyond a pleasure to get to know them and learn more about what they do. This hands on experience was one of the best things I've ever done. The hours are long and the work is hard, but it is also so much fun. I am definitely planning to return again.

Effective communication between the volunteers, the project, and Oceans2Earth could definitely use some improvement.

A
Prospect

Australian Forest Wildlife

My experience with Oceans to Earth was unfortunately far from positive. I felt that the cost of the program was entirely too expensive, considering the accommodations and program provided. Although Oceans2Earth was very helpful in organizing our travels, the organization did not check-in upon our arrival, which seemed unprofessional in terms of safety. The manual provided beforehand concerning our specific rescue was inaccurate, outdated, and misleading. The manual was a misrepresentation of the site as a whole. The accommodations were minimal, which was to be expected, as the site was in in a rural area. However, these same accommodations were unsanitary, and in stark contrast to the cost paid for this trip. As a foreigner, traveling to a new country, those in charge of this facility were unwelcoming and ungrateful. Instead of being appreciative, they were critical and unprofessional. I highly recommend this project solely for those native to the area, for the staff did not look highly upon those traveling from other parts of the world. As for the rescue, showers were permitted every 3-4 days, water was extremely limited, and there was no separation between the rescue and the living facility. Animals were allowed in every area of the facility, including the kitchen. The refuge requires significant renovations, including the removal of carpet, window repair, and an overall deep clean. Personally, I was very surprised that Oceans2Earth promoted such a facility, especially one that was in such stark contrast with the facility pictured online. I was truly disappointed in my experience, and the amount of money I invested. The cost of this trip did not reflect the accommodations provided. I feel that Oceans2Earth needs to re-visit this site, and reevaluate their affiliation with this program.

Response from Oceans 2 Earth Volunteers

Oceans 2 Earth are sorry your experience was not as expected. In response to your review;
- Oceans 2 Earth do indeed have checks in place to ensure volunteers arrive safely.
- The accommodations are described as large cabins which are spacious, warm and clean.
- The cost of the project includes transfers, food, accommodation, the cost to train volunteers and funding to the project to help keep it running. The cost is $78 a day for a 2 week program which is what it takes to keep the volunteer program running. We are a not for profit organisation so all funds benefit the project.
- There is no restriction on volunteers taking showers.
- The photos online are actual photos of the shelter and its volunteers. They fully represent the project.
- As for your feeling unwelcome, I will be looking into this and I sincerely apologise.
We have never received any negative feedback from this project in 5 years. In fact our volunteers find it a magical experience spent working very close with the animals. This includes making them feel comfortable hence why they live amongst the people. All of the animals have injuries and psychological problems so their best interests are what are our concern.
This is a working shelter which is privately owned. The owners devote their lives to the animals and it is because of them that so many animals are saved. There is no other place in Australia that people can experience living and caring for these beautiful Australian animals. It is a privilege to spend time at this project. Unfortunately, I think there has been a ‘disconnect’ between what you have thought the experience to be. I am sorry you did not contact us while you were at the project so we could have discussed this further. We find if people are feeling the culture shock of being in the bush and speak to us about their challenges, we can offer support.

Andrea
Bad Oeynhausen, Germany

Wonderful and informative

This project is a good mix for people, who love to do something good and combine it with free time/holiday at an amazing and beautiful place in this world. The work was half time and not too hard, but it needs to be done regularly. For me it was a quite new expeerience to deal with exotic animals, so I learned a lot and got into the ideals and motives of the centres work. The rest of the time is easy to spend in Cairns, because it is a city full of tourists (backpackers) and entertainment. The organisation of accomodation and transport was good and in 3 weeks I had no problems. I can really recommend this project, even for beginners like I have been.

Jean
Kent

Gold Coast Hinterland - Heaven on Earth

From the moment you arrive at this wildlife rehabilitation centre, it is like a different world. Being up close to Australian wildlife was so amazing and I was given my own pademelon to look after once I arrived. She was my responsibility and I fed her and cleaned her enclosure throughout the day.
There was a lot of volunteers there and we had plenty of time to head to the Gold Coast for a night out. We saw whales out to see and ate a great meal overlooking the ocean.
There are bats there as well and they are just so cute. I helped look after them and they just hung in the trees around us. There were a lot of babies that had to be rescued from heat stroke and they will be cared for until they get released.
I really got outside my comfort zone but you're only 20 minutes from the beach so you aren't too far from reality. I even got my own cabin.
It was easy to stay positive with so many beautiful animals around me. I will miss my baby.

These people do amazing things for wildlife and I was privileged to see how many animals were released back into the wild. Their rehabilitation rate speaks for itself.

Christine
San Francisco

Gold Coast hinterland wildlife project

Immediately when I arrived it was not at all what I expected. First of all, its a bat clinic, O2E should not list this project as 2 separate projects, one with bats and one with kangaroos and wallabys. So even though i was expecting to work with this other Australian wildlife, as I was not vaccinated for rabies, I mainly worked with the bats. The project description was not accurate at all, the only tasks we did was clean the poop out of the fruit buckets and juice drippers. We saw a few kangaroos at the center but never interacted with them, we couldn't even touch them since they were owned by the local volunteers.
None of the international volunteers were happy here, mostly because the project description was completely innaccurate
Also only a few meals were provided, and I had to pay for my own groceries.

Response from Oceans 2 Earth Volunteers

Hi Kristy,
Thank you for your feedback. We take all negative feedback seriously,
It was unfortunate that at the time of your placement there had just been a large release of animals so there was not a lot of macropods (kangaroos & wallabies) at the project. The release was great news for us and limited animals in care is a positive thing as it means that there isn't any injured wildlife in the area.
The project is a bat rescue centre and a wildlife trauma centre and is marketed as such. The activities in the description are indeed what volunteers are expected to do, however the work requirements are adjusted according to the needs of the project at the time. Cleaning enclosures, preparing meals, doing laundry as well as feeding animals is a large part of what it takes to look after a displaced animal.
We are sorry that your expectations were not met and you did not enjoy working with the bats and would like to offer you another placement at no cost.

Heath
Sydney
University of Wollongong

Great Barrier Reef Turtle Rehabilitation

An amazing experience. Most of the day is taken up by doing lower calibre jobs such as cleaning tanks, washing out filters, and feeding the turtles. It would be nice to have more jobs which you could see the impact after the day. Such as cleaning out the rubbish that is around the site, or building the facility to be more effective.

I really enjoyed meeting the volunteers who come every day, and the people who help out for the program. If i am ever in cairns again i will definitely go see the turtles again, and see how i can help out however i can.

Great experience i would highly reccomend it. :)

Having more impactful jobs. Like getting rid of rubbish, or maintenance of the actual centre.

Wentong
China

Very good which beyond my imagination!

As other projects, this new one is very good and ripe. This is a very valuable place for you no matter you want to be closed to cute wallabies,you want to experience an all english enviroment or you want to be diligent. You will learn many things from Lexi and Brian, who run this shelter for many years. They are really good and humorous that they will bring you to the city if you want.
It is not very tired to be here and you could be relax. But if you want to do more, there's jobs waiting for you! Imagine how excited they live with animals in one house! The best time of a day is feeding the wallabies and kangaroos in the pen and cuddling the joey!
Possums are also very cute.
Just come!

I think this one is perfect.

Amélie
Terrebonne, Quebec, Canada

Rainforest bat rehabilitation

A very good project. The owner Jenny and her assistants are very friendly and careful. Even past an afternoon to visit around with one of her assistant and another volunteers. Big day, but fantastic day to help to prepare the food, feeding and cleaning. I felt very useful there and I learned a lot about megabat and microbat. Interesting places to visit around for the wildlife and nature lovers with Darrin and its tours and transfers company.

Wenjin
Chengdu, China

Surf Coast Koala and Wildlife Sanctuary!!

This project is almost perfect, and people here are extremely nice to talk with. It's located in a small town near the beach called Barwon Heads. Definitely beautiful. Accommodation is also satisfying. They drove us to shopping. Cool.

The staff teach you how to work, in turn, in the hope of enriching your experiences. You can see lots of unique animals, like the dingo and kuala. All is well. Just come and enjoy.

Highlight the way of going to Barwon Heads.

Laura
Hobart, Australia
University of Tasmania

turtle rehab

great experience! although I was only for a week, I felt i was able to actually help, the staff is very friendly and willing to help anyone. It was great to be able to be so close to this amazing animals, feed them and give them a scratch.
the place was very beautiful, so after working it was great to be able to try different things on the island, amazing place to explore!

overall an unforgettable experience! highly recommended =)

Lillian
New York, New York

Great Barrier Reef Turtle Rehabilitation

Wonderful exeperience! The staff are very friendly and the work is rewarding. I was worried that I wouldn't make an impact if I only came for two weeks, but you learn everything within 15 minutes on the first day! Right away you are able to participate in all tasks like feeding, cleaning, and cuddling (scratching) the turtles. It's a really great program that allows you to really help animals, all while in a beautiful location. I was blown away by how good I felt every day after volunteering and spending time on the island. My boyfriend volunteered with me, and although he doesn't work in the animal field, he was invaluable for heavy turtle lifting and hard scrubbing. It was really fun for both of us. I would recommend this trip to anyone, it was the perfect experience!

It would be cool to have had info on the irukandji jelly fish! We spent a lot of time googling them.

Vicki
Bristol, UK

Too many memories to mention!!

I can't even start to tell you how amazing the Flying Foxes and Aussie Wildlfie programme is. What an experience. I just completed 6 days at the centre and it was magical. Feeding baby flying foxes every 4hours, feeding and cleaning out the adult bats, and even seeing some of the more usual rescues such as possums, wallabies and koalas.
Despite deciding to cut my visit short, I will never forget my experience here and I hope to return next year to help out again, if they'll have me back :)

A clearer description of tasks, schedule and downtime, would really improve this project. It's hard to take time out to see the surrounding area when there is so much to do at the centre all the time, but you need to be a careful not to work your self to the bone. It's a fine balance.

Alexandra
London UK
Royal Veterinary College

Flying Foxes and Aussie Wildlife AMAZING!

If you are truly in love with wildlife and particularly interested in flying mammals this is the best place on earth! The owner of the charity knows everything there is to know about bats of all types and species, to an extent you will not find in textbooks! Very hands on and very friendly people, I had an amazing time and will return when circumstances permit. Not to miss!

They need to expand, there are so many animals, they need more enclosures and more volunteers.

Charles
Chengdu, PRC

Wonderful three weeks with lovely animals

I am a international student from China and came to the surf coast koala and wildlife sanctuary this summer vacation.

People here are really nice and helpful. The homestay drove me to and from the working site everyday and I really appreciate that. I mean I am a college student and don't have a international driver's license, so I really can't imagine what if she didn't drove me.

There weren't many volunteers from abroad, but many locals. This sanctuary was mostly operated by plenty local helpful volunteers with several stuff members and they are all careful and devoted. They told me bunch of interesting stories about the animals there, koalas, kangaroos, wombats, dingos etc. To learn well about these animals first ,and then I could care for them better. The jobs for international volunteers could be chose by ourselves.

My job was to feed the baby joys with bottles and to clean up the koala area. Sometimes, I was asked to help other local volunteers to feed the wallaby or wombats. Those creatures were really, really cute and I just couldn't help but loving them. I fed them everyday, and whenever i brought their bottles or food plates, they would happily jump towards me. Animals are treated very well there.

Some tourist may come to the sanctuary, and it was pretty nice to talk with them with your perspective, a volunteer's perspective.

If I had a chance, I will definitely come to here again. Maybe the joys I fed can still recognise me~

Michal
United Kingdom
Bangor University

Great Barrier Reef Sea Turtle Rehabilitation Centre

Simply the greatest thing I have ever done!! The fellow volunteers were all really friendly and I met new people at the rehab centre every day. I loved feeding all the turtles, cleaning the tanks and giving the turtles a scratch! After all the turtles were fed and tanks cleaned, I enjoyed snorkelling around the island where I saw beautiful marine life which included the green sea turtles! One of the many highlights of volunteering at the rehab centre was participating in the release of 2 sea turtles at the beach, an amazing experience which really showed what volunteering really does. So if you are thinking of volunteering, please do! And if you do, please say hi to all the turtles for me, have fun!!

Cannot be improved, it is simply perfect!

Alex

Fantastic program

It becomes clear pretty soon that not only do these people care deeply about wildlife and animals, but they know a hell of a lot about them too! It's not every day you have the opportunity to get up close and personal with Australian wildlife, but this was certainly an experience out of the ordinary. Whether it was meeting tiny baby bats or chatting with injured (but still very lively!) white cockatoos, Oceans 2 Earth provide their volunteers with some truly unique experiences!

Tom
Australia

Baby bats!

We had such a fantastic time in Queensland with the Oceans 2 Earth Foundation. My favourite experience was visiting the rescued baby bats and other wildlife, and learning about each of their stories, how they came to be at the centre and the plans to rehabilitate and release them back into the wild. The wildlife carers at the centre were friendly and engaging, and I soon noticed the strong rapport between the carers and the Oceans 2 Earth representative who took us to the centre - we knew we were in good hands!

Amandine
Paris, France

Life changing

I've spent almost 2 years in Australia and whenever i'm asked what's your best experience there my answer is always the same: my time with Glenda at the shelter!

I couldn't imagine how amazing it would be.
I haven't seen any kangoroos, wallabies or wombats before in my life but Glenda makes things very easy for you.
Even though she has many responsabilities and tasks to do during the day she's always available for questions or to share her experience with animals.
She is also curious about yourself and make you feel at ease.

Days are organized to fulfill the aniamls needs: feeding and cleaning them, building new enclosures...

Every day is starting with the first bottle which would be repeated every 4 hours for the babies, you will also have to make them exercise, go out to find grass or gum tree leaves with Glenda.
Some of the animals require more intensive care and from time to time you have to assist to change bandages for example.

Living in the bush is just incredible and allows go to enjoy the experience to the fullest!

I couldn't imagine how loving those incredible animals could be and how much i would miss Glenda and the shelter.
I'm grateful i could experience something that intense during my stay in Australia.

Thank you!!

Val
Melbourne, Australia

Sun Turtles and the Great Barrier Reef - perfect combination!

This was awesome. I was able to get up close with the turtles and felt I made a difference to the care of these wonderful creatures. This included preparing their food, feeding them & monitoring their daily food intake, tank cleaning, getting them ready to be released back to the sea, and beach patrols all on a tropical island. Plenty of spare time diving, kayaking, sailing, swimming, etc. Great that my accommodation was organized by O2E too!

On some days when there are many volunteers, there are not enough tasks for everybody. But I believe more things are being added to the project for vols to do.

Berta
España
University of Barcelona

Don't think it twice! Best experience ever!

When I first arrived at the wildlife shelter I thought that I wasn't gonna be able to stay for the time I committed for. You literally live in the middle of the bush with no electricity during the day, minimum phone and internet reception, no running water (the shelter depends on the rain water), a bush toilet,...but after a couple of days after meeting Glenda (the owner) and the animals I wanted to stay forever. It is hard work, long hours and physical demanding but the love you receive from the animals is priceless. I did like it that much that I came back two more times in one year (a total of three times) so I was able to see how my little babies grew up and got ready to go back to the wild, that place was my home in Australia and Glenda my aussie mom.

I think is important to mention that as nice as it is to take care of baby orphan marsupials you must be strong to deal with some hardcore situations, life is life and sometimes as much as we want there’s nothing we can do to save the animals, some die, some need to be put down and you will have to deal with nasty bone breaks, wounds and infections. You will learn a lot and if you already are or you are thinking of being a vet or a vet nurse this is an amazing experience and opportunity.

As soon as I can I will be back again!

Berta

PS: Very useful for you and for the shelter if you possess an international driving license, even better if you know how to ride a manual car.

Gara
Málaga, Spain
University of Navarre

It's the best rescue center I ever been, I recommend it 100%

It's one of my best life experiences.
It changed my way of thinking, my working ideas, everything. I learned how we should take care of the animals and the people, what are the important things in my life and how important is to help the wildlife globally. I went back to Spain being a different person with clear ideas about my future.

It's run by Glenda and Ron and local volunteers, everybody is very helpful and gentle, they will help you with any thing that you need.
You will get so close to kangaroos, wombats, possums, koalas, psitacids, reptiles, wallabies... when you rescue them you help Glenda to go to the Vet or to help them at home, you will feed them with bottles, teach them how to recognize the bush area... you will be their new family, you will get very attach to them and it's wonderful to see them growing and getting ready to be released.

You have also the possibility to met other volunteers and learn about different countries, ideas, way of working.. is a very enriching experience.

If you have the opportunity, you have to go! Go go go go!!

Gara

Cecilia
Ojen, Spain.

Cecilia Santos Peinadi

For me as a vet overseas this experience was totally amazing. The staff involve you from the first day on all the procedures with the animals ad give you support and a lot of love. They were amazing with me and I felt as a member of the big family of the local host organization from the first moment. You will learn how to grow marsupials and birds, you will improve your medical skills and also, your interpersonal skills. The staff is always worried about how do you feel in the centre and they do everything they can to make you feel like at home. No bad words for anyone o any situation. You are going to work with wildlife in they environment and that is just AMAZING.

Alice
Imperial College London

Forget about the real world. This is a different planet.

There is a very detailed review above of what happens during a typical day, so I won't repeat that.

I will say that you need to be prepared for some hard work and very basic living conditions. I loved it and didn't even notice the lack of electricity, running water or mobile coverage. It's also deep in the forest 15 min drive on a dirt road from the nearest shop. It definitely helps if you can drive (even better if you can drive a manual) so you can go on rescues.

Another very important part of this program is Glenda. She is the most amazing, strong woman I have ever met. She basically runs this massive wildlife shelter on her own, with no financial help from the government, and is often physically alone with several orphans to take care of. She will do everything for those animals, to the point of neglecting herself. If you are hard working, willing to learn and can work independently, she will love you. I love her to bits and wish I could do more to help.

Definitely a worthwhile program to spent you time and effort in!

Kitchen & shower conditions could be improved and are currently being worked on. We need 2 Glendas!

Nathalie
Valencia, Spain
Université du Québec à Montréal

Prepare yourself, jump and enjoy!

In this project you "work" from morning to night but you don't feel like working. Conditions are not like a 5 stars hotel, that's for sure, but you certainly get out of it richer then you got in!

We use to wake up at around 7h30 am to prepare the bottles of milk (powder with hot water. Each baby has it's own quantity and medication if to add in it, if needed. You start feeding the babies around 8 (inside). After that you have breakfast yourself (usually cereals withy milk or toasts).

Then you take the older kangaroos (teenagers!) in the bush for a walk and exercice. Then the wombats needed exercice too so we were back in the bush with them too.

After that you have to hang some clean "nappies" (that you use to clean the babies while feeding them) on the ropes outside.

Lunch time! Almost always pic-nic like (sandwichs, etc.). It had to be done fast (we are not there to lose time are we?). Then eating lunch all together outside looking at the australian bush, taking our time was really nice.

After that, 4 hours after the first bottle we gave at 8 a.m. it was time to feed the babies again (at noon).

Then comes the "give grass" and fresh water to the older roos, sweet potatoes to the older wombat, feed the birds and parrots and sometimes go in the bush to feed some other birds that lives there.

Some of the "almost ready to be released kangaroos", those who lives outside, have to drink their milk too so you go outside and give them then you put them to bed. Sometimes with their bottles in the bed, you wrap them in their "pouches" which are covers!

2-3 times a week you have to change the eucalyptus branches that the koalas are eating (taking out the old ones and giving them new leaves to eat). Also do the same for the parrots.

Somebody has to pass the broom too once in a while (outside).
Sometimes wood needs to be cut to feed the fire so you cut wood!
Sometimes you have to fix a shelter for possums or some other things that needs to be done on the site. Fixing a fence or whatever needs to be done.

At 4 p.m. (4 hours later) it's, again, time to give the Joeys (babies kangaroos) their bottles of milk.

Some of the wild kangaroos needs to be fed too (those who have been released and also some others that know there is a "free food all you can eat" at the volunteer project site!!). That means that there are about 50 kangaroos looking at you in the bush or around the house! (you can see their eyes shining in the bush!) You have to open some barrels full of cereals and a type of "cookie" and throw it on the ground so they can eat it. Usually at this time you see the sun going down on the bush (and it's amazing!). It's the most magical hour of the day with the bush walk in the morning.

Now it's your tune to have diner! Inside, all together we cook and eat watching t.v., talking, etc.

As you gave the bottle at 4 p.m. and it's now 8 p.m., you have to do it again! (it can take up to 2 hours, depends on how many babies there are). You give the babies wombat their bottles of milk too!

Then you watch a little t.v., take a shower or read, whatever... until it's midnight (4 hours later = feeding time!). This time you are preparing the bottles for the present feeding, the next one at 4 in the morning (don't worry, Glenda insist to do it herself so you don't have to cut your night of sleep in 2 parts!).

When this last feeding is done, you go to bed happy, dreaming of that kiss you had just before going to bed (a baby kangaroo liked your ears)!

I would give volunteer a video of a "everyday life in this program" showing every task they will have to do once there BEFORE they arrive. Also pictures of the installations in terms of beds, shower, etc. People tend to expect being in a hotel and it's not the case. If they need volunteers it's because they don't have the money they need to do everything that needs to be done so just so the volunteers would be prepared to what they will meet I think they need more "previous preparation". That said, I think whatever you do BEFORE, you will never be prepared for all that affection and love you will receive from the animals you will take care of. This is truly an experience you will never forget and be prepared to dream about going back after!

Oceans 2 Earth Volunteers (O2E) is an Australian not for profit organisation and the only Australian organisation dedicated to animal welfare and wildlife habitat conservation initiatives. O2E specialises in projects committed to the rescue, care, rehabilitation and release of Australian wildlife. Australian animals requiring care