Oceans 2 Earth: Volunteer with Australian Wildlife

Oceans 2 Earth is an Australian not for profit organisation specialising in volunteering projects for animal lovers and offers a wide range of exclusive Australian animal welfare projects committed to the rescue, care, rehabilitation and release of Australian wildlife. Volunteer activities include bottle feeding joeys, feeding the animals, exercising wombats, collecting gum leaves for koalas and preparing the animals’ food, scrubbing sea turtles’ shells, cleaning enclosures, hand rearing baby bats, assisting in animal rescues and emergency treatment, providing animal enrichments, building nesting boxes and feeders, undertaking environmental education activities, beach clean ups, working in an Intensive Care Unit and research assistance such as the GPS tracking of marine wildlife.

Animals requiring care include koalas, kangaroos, dingos, wallabies, wombats, possums, turtles, flying foxes, bandicoots, wallaroos, lizards, snakes, emus, echidnas and birds of prey plus many more!

Hi Suzanne, Most of our projects require volunteers to be 18 or over, with a couple having an age requirement of 20 or 21. Our Great Barrier Reef Marine Conservation project can be completed by under 18s if they have a legal guardian who is over 18 as their responsible person.

Shannen

Wallaby, Kangaroo and Possum Care

I had an amazing time in the Wallaby, Kangaroo and Possum Care program out of Brisbane, QLD. I got lots of hands on time with the animals and learned so much. If you choose this program, go in with an open mind and a willingness to work and you'll get the most out of the experience. Brian and Lexie are wonderful and kind people and I had a great time staying with them. I would highly recommend this volunteer project to others.

Ilse

Kangaloola Wildlife Shelter

I was a volunteer at Kangaloola for almost 4 weeks and I had an amazing time! In these 4 weeks I was surrounded by Australian animals and it was just amazing seeing how the animals live and behave. I loved cuddling with the kangaroos and feeding them. The people at the Shelter are just the best and they are very kind. I would definitely recomend this project to any oneindig who loves animals and who doesn't mind working hard!

Chloe

West Coast Wildlife

I loved my time at the Darling range, everybody was so friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable, which meant that when it came to my time to leave, I really felt as though I had learnt a lot. The support from the regular volunteers was great, I had a very hands on experience, I had a chance to try everything at least once and everybody made sure that we were involved. I would 100% recommend this project to anyone wanting a hands on, learning experience and I would definitely return! :)

A roster being put into place would assist new volunteers with knowing where they should be and what they are doing on their first few days at the project.
rebecca

Great Barrier Reef Turtle Rehabilitation

I fell in love with Cairns and Fitzroy Island! You get to imagine what life on a paradise island would be like - it was an amazing opportunity to work so closely with the turtles at the rehab centre. This project gives you the chance to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone! Jenny is an amazing woman, she puts 110% into her work and she couldn't have made us feel more welcome. I will miss everything about this project including all the regular volunteers.

I think the price is a little too high.
Jen

Home Away From Home

I cannot praise the Australian Forest Wildlife program enough! They are doing such amazing things to help animals and promote welfare for the incredible species that live in such a unique part of the world. This place felt like home as soon as I stepped through the gate. Glenda and Sarah are absolute super heroes and it was beyond a pleasure to get to know them and learn more about what they do. This hands on experience was one of the best things I've ever done. The hours are long and the work is hard, but it is also so much fun. I am definitely planning to return again.

Effective communication between the volunteers, the project, and Oceans2Earth could definitely use some improvement.
A

Australian Forest Wildlife

My experience with Oceans to Earth was unfortunately far from positive. I felt that the cost of the program was entirely too expensive, considering the accommodations and program provided. Although Oceans2Earth was very helpful in organizing our travels, the organization did not check-in upon our arrival, which seemed unprofessional in terms of safety. The manual provided beforehand concerning our specific rescue was inaccurate, outdated, and misleading. The manual was a misrepresentation of the site as a whole. The accommodations were minimal, which was to be expected, as the site was in in a rural area. However, these same accommodations were unsanitary, and in stark contrast to the cost paid for this trip. As a foreigner, traveling to a new country, those in charge of this facility were unwelcoming and ungrateful. Instead of being appreciative, they were critical and unprofessional. I highly recommend this project solely for those native to the area, for the staff did not look highly upon those traveling from other parts of the world. As for the rescue, showers were permitted every 3-4 days, water was extremely limited, and there was no separation between the rescue and the living facility. Animals were allowed in every area of the facility, including the kitchen. The refuge requires significant renovations, including the removal of carpet, window repair, and an overall deep clean. Personally, I was very surprised that Oceans2Earth promoted such a facility, especially one that was in such stark contrast with the facility pictured online. I was truly disappointed in my experience, and the amount of money I invested. The cost of this trip did not reflect the accommodations provided. I feel that Oceans2Earth needs to re-visit this site, and reevaluate their affiliation with this program.

Response from Oceans 2 Earth Volunteers

Oceans 2 Earth are sorry your experience was not as expected. In response to your review;
- Oceans 2 Earth do indeed have checks in place to ensure volunteers arrive safely.
- The accommodations are described as large cabins which are spacious, warm and clean.
- The cost of the project includes transfers, food, accommodation, the cost to train volunteers and funding to the project to help keep it running. The cost is $78 a day for a 2 week program which is what it takes to keep the volunteer program running. We are a not for profit organisation so all funds benefit the project.
- There is no restriction on volunteers taking showers.
- The photos online are actual photos of the shelter and its volunteers. They fully represent the project.
- As for your feeling unwelcome, I will be looking into this and I sincerely apologise.
We have never received any negative feedback from this project in 5 years. In fact our volunteers find it a magical experience spent working very close with the animals. This includes making them feel comfortable hence why they live amongst the people. All of the animals have injuries and psychological problems so their best interests are what are our concern.
This is a working shelter which is privately owned. The owners devote their lives to the animals and it is because of them that so many animals are saved. There is no other place in Australia that people can experience living and caring for these beautiful Australian animals. It is a privilege to spend time at this project. Unfortunately, I think there has been a ‘disconnect’ between what you have thought the experience to be. I am sorry you did not contact us while you were at the project so we could have discussed this further. We find if people are feeling the culture shock of being in the bush and speak to us about their challenges, we can offer support.

No, I don't recommend this program
Andrea

Wonderful and informative

This project is a good mix for people, who love to do something good and combine it with free time/holiday at an amazing and beautiful place in this world. The work was half time and not too hard, but it needs to be done regularly. For me it was a quite new expeerience to deal with exotic animals, so I learned a lot and got into the ideals and motives of the centres work. The rest of the time is easy to spend in Cairns, because it is a city full of tourists (backpackers) and entertainment. The organisation of accomodation and transport was good and in 3 weeks I had no problems. I can really recommend this project, even for beginners like I have been.

Jean

Gold Coast Hinterland - Heaven on Earth

From the moment you arrive at this wildlife rehabilitation centre, it is like a different world. Being up close to Australian wildlife was so amazing and I was given my own pademelon to look after once I arrived. She was my responsibility and I fed her and cleaned her enclosure throughout the day.
There was a lot of volunteers there and we had plenty of time to head to the Gold Coast for a night out. We saw whales out to see and ate a great meal overlooking the ocean.
There are bats there as well and they are just so cute. I helped look after them and they just hung in the trees around us. There were a lot of babies that had to be rescued from heat stroke and they will be cared for until they get released.
I really got outside my comfort zone but you're only 20 minutes from the beach so you aren't too far from reality. I even got my own cabin.
It was easy to stay positive with so many beautiful animals around me. I will miss my baby.

These people do amazing things for wildlife and I was privileged to see how many animals were released back into the wild. Their rehabilitation rate speaks for itself.
Christine

Gold Coast hinterland wildlife project

Immediately when I arrived it was not at all what I expected. First of all, its a bat clinic, O2E should not list this project as 2 separate projects, one with bats and one with kangaroos and wallabys. So even though i was expecting to work with this other Australian wildlife, as I was not vaccinated for rabies, I mainly worked with the bats. The project description was not accurate at all, the only tasks we did was clean the poop out of the fruit buckets and juice drippers. We saw a few kangaroos at the center but never interacted with them, we couldn't even touch them since they were owned by the local volunteers.
None of the international volunteers were happy here, mostly because the project description was completely innaccurate
Also only a few meals were provided, and I had to pay for my own groceries.

Response from Oceans 2 Earth Volunteers

Hi Kristy,
Thank you for your feedback. We take all negative feedback seriously,
It was unfortunate that at the time of your placement there had just been a large release of animals so there was not a lot of macropods (kangaroos & wallabies) at the project. The release was great news for us and limited animals in care is a positive thing as it means that there isn't any injured wildlife in the area.
The project is a bat rescue centre and a wildlife trauma centre and is marketed as such. The activities in the description are indeed what volunteers are expected to do, however the work requirements are adjusted according to the needs of the project at the time. Cleaning enclosures, preparing meals, doing laundry as well as feeding animals is a large part of what it takes to look after a displaced animal.
We are sorry that your expectations were not met and you did not enjoy working with the bats and would like to offer you another placement at no cost.

No, I don't recommend this program
Heath

Great Barrier Reef Turtle Rehabilitation

An amazing experience. Most of the day is taken up by doing lower calibre jobs such as cleaning tanks, washing out filters, and feeding the turtles. It would be nice to have more jobs which you could see the impact after the day. Such as cleaning out the rubbish that is around the site, or building the facility to be more effective.

I really enjoyed meeting the volunteers who come every day, and the people who help out for the program. If i am ever in cairns again i will definitely go see the turtles again, and see how i can help out however i can.

Great experience i would highly reccomend it. :)

Having more impactful jobs. Like getting rid of rubbish, or maintenance of the actual centre.
Wentong

Very good which beyond my imagination!

As other projects, this new one is very good and ripe. This is a very valuable place for you no matter you want to be closed to cute wallabies,you want to experience an all english enviroment or you want to be diligent. You will learn many things from Lexi and Brian, who run this shelter for many years. They are really good and humorous that they will bring you to the city if you want.
It is not very tired to be here and you could be relax. But if you want to do more, there's jobs waiting for you! Imagine how excited they live with animals in one house! The best time of a day is feeding the wallabies and kangaroos in the pen and cuddling the joey!
Possums are also very cute.
Just come!

I think this one is perfect.
Amélie

Rainforest bat rehabilitation

A very good project. The owner Jenny and her assistants are very friendly and careful. Even past an afternoon to visit around with one of her assistant and another volunteers. Big day, but fantastic day to help to prepare the food, feeding and cleaning. I felt very useful there and I learned a lot about megabat and microbat. Interesting places to visit around for the wildlife and nature lovers with Darrin and its tours and transfers company.

Wenjin

Surf Coast Koala and Wildlife Sanctuary!!

This project is almost perfect, and people here are extremely nice to talk with. It's located in a small town near the beach called Barwon Heads. Definitely beautiful. Accommodation is also satisfying. They drove us to shopping. Cool.

The staff teach you how to work, in turn, in the hope of enriching your experiences. You can see lots of unique animals, like the dingo and kuala. All is well. Just come and enjoy.

Highlight the way of going to Barwon Heads.
Laura

turtle rehab

great experience! although I was only for a week, I felt i was able to actually help, the staff is very friendly and willing to help anyone. It was great to be able to be so close to this amazing animals, feed them and give them a scratch.
the place was very beautiful, so after working it was great to be able to try different things on the island, amazing place to explore!

overall an unforgettable experience! highly recommended =)

Lillian

Great Barrier Reef Turtle Rehabilitation

Wonderful exeperience! The staff are very friendly and the work is rewarding. I was worried that I wouldn't make an impact if I only came for two weeks, but you learn everything within 15 minutes on the first day! Right away you are able to participate in all tasks like feeding, cleaning, and cuddling (scratching) the turtles. It's a really great program that allows you to really help animals, all while in a beautiful location. I was blown away by how good I felt every day after volunteering and spending time on the island. My boyfriend volunteered with me, and although he doesn't work in the animal field, he was invaluable for heavy turtle lifting and hard scrubbing. It was really fun for both of us. I would recommend this trip to anyone, it was the perfect experience!

It would be cool to have had info on the irukandji jelly fish! We spent a lot of time googling them.

About Oceans 2 Earth Volunteers

Oceans 2 Earth Volunteers (O2E) is an Australian not for profit organisation and the only Australian organisation dedicated to animal welfare and wildlife habitat conservation initiatives. O2E specialises in projects committed to the rescue, care,...