Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Belgium from $465

Volunteer in Belgium with IVHQ
Volunteer in Belgium with IVHQ

Trusted by 110,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Belgium and 50+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 4 volunteer project options in Belgium and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 6 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a hostel, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Belgium, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s Belgium program is available year-round, starting on the second and fourth Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $495 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 10 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Belgium each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 110,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Shuwen

I truly left a piece of my heart in Brussels

It is truly rewarding when you can actually get to see, help, and communicate with refugees is Brussels. Talking with them and knowing their stories are really eye-opening.

When we finished serving coffee and tea for refugees on the first day, the local team leader using his body language and speaking some simple English words to ask us if we paid money to help them, and we nodded. He said that we are all angles. I literally cried a little bit at that time. Also, I remember help the clothes distribution program in local NGO, that is the most meaningful thing I’ve ever done.

Besides, we can also explore the city when we were done the volunteer work. Most importantly, I knew some cool volunteers all over the world and we talked about our stories and did a lot of fun things. This is the experience that I could never had without doing volunteer work. They are the treasure of my life.

I love this program and every single one I knew during this journey.

I left a piece of my heart in Brussels.

The program fee may be can reduced a little in order to stay longer.
yang

A wonderful and meaningful volunteer experience in Brussel

IVHQ and Serve the city in Brussel are like a big family helping people who need help. As a one-week volunteer, I just thought I could only do some basic work for them, but to my surprise, Aneles was such a good leader not only explain the whole organization to us in detail but also introduce us some history about people we help with. Also, there were some other nice people there to help us answering our questions and guided us to places we did our volunteer work. I like the whole project a lot and it taught me a lot of meaningful things I have never known before when I was in China.
Actually, we don't have refugees or people without paperworks much as in Belgium, so I basically know nothing about this area, but after the whole week, I had so many feelings about this. Especially after the day we helped with making breakfast and serving them, there was a man from Syria we had a little chat when I was working, and after I finished my work I met him on the tram. I asked him some questions about why coming to this country and his plan about future. This was my first time to talk to people like him face to face. He was just like everyone else, no different, but he had to leave his country because of the unsafe circumstances in his country and find a place to stay. He also showed me his son's picture on his phone. I could see how much he loves and misses his son, but he couldn't go back. After talking with him, I felt so upset and even cried on the tram, I felt it was so hard for me to imagine people's lives under such circumstances. More I thought, more upset I got. But at the same time, it made me so powerful to continue me volunteer work there, because that was the only something I can do for those people.
So, the volunteer program is wonderful and meaningful, the friends I knew from this program are nice and friendly. I really want to recommend this to all my friends!

What was your funniest moment?
Not only the program is meaningful, memorable, but also the people I knew there were friendly and nice. On the first day we met, that was also my 22nd birthday, we went to a restaurant and celebrate my birthday together even we were very tired after a busy day. Niki, Hannah and Eno are my roommates but also very close friends there. It is so nice to meet new friends there and we really helped each other a lot during the week. We even went to a trip to Amsterdam after we finished our volunteer program.
Marcelle

I will absolutely volunteer with IVHQ again and again!

I cannot say enough positive things about my experience volunteering with IVHQ! This is such an excellent way to travel the world, do a little good, and meet other amazing humans! The support I received both before and during my trip was exceptional. IVHQ guided me step by step to get ready for the trip. They made it so easy!

The program in Brussels was incredibly fulfilling and really left a mark on my heart. I was able to participate in projects to help feed migrants, refugees, and homeless throughout the city of Brussels. The best part was actually being able to interact with these lovely humans because they were so grateful. It was incredibly grounding. It was such an interesting way to get to know Brussels and really opened my eyes to the issues surrounding the migrant population in Europe.

I will absolutely volunteer with IVHQ again and again!

Get to know the other volunteers and the local Serve the City Brussels team! Creating this community really helps make the experience top-notch! The Serve the City Brussels team is incredibly supportive, friendly, and very knowledgable. Being able to hang out and explore with the other volunteers made for a very well-rounded trip!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for taking the time to write your review Marcelle. It is great to hear you enjoyed your time on the program. I know the time you put into your volunteer work was appreciated by not just the local team, but also those receiving the food, I am also sure those you interacted with enjoyed meeting you as much you them. We would love to have you back again anytime! Claire - IVHQ Program Manager.

Galil

Unforgettable Experience

My trip to Brussels was better than I could've ever hoped for. I worked with amazing people (a few who I still keep in touch with), and heard some inspiring stories. On average, we worked for about half the day and had the other half to ourselves to explore Brussels which was exactly what we wanted. The hostile I stayed at was generally pleasant apart from the breakfasts since there weren't too many options (which honestly didn't bother us too much since we were never so hungry at 6am), but everything was well kept and it was fun to get to know the people with whom I shared our room. I certainly recommend a trip like this through IVHQ if you've got at least a week to go where you please. They organize pretty much everything for you such so it makes getting around very easy.

Don't be afraid to just throw yourself into one of these programs, you'll meet amazing people and you can never regret spending time on such work.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review Galil! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time on the program, as well as exploring Brussels along with your new found friends. Claire - IVHQ Program Manager.

Anita

Brussels, Belgium 2018

My experience with IVHQ and Serve the City was great. The support I got from both IVHQ members and the STC team was so great. The preparation for the trip was very helpful and great.
I had been a little skeptical as well as hesitant because I had never traveled on my own before, but a lot of that was taken away the first day I arrived at Brussels. I was met with a team member and he showed me to ropes to traveling around via the metro system there and that was super helpful.
I was able to connect with the other IVHQers I met in Brussels and that made the trip so much better as well. We got to see a lot of the city and I definitely did not think the STC team asked too much of us.

The only thing I could ask for improvement on is getting an itinerary early on (if possible before the trip). This was shared with the STC team at the debrief we had at the end of my program.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Anita. Thanks so much for sharing a review of your experience with us. It's awesome to hear you got to see and enjoy a lot of what Brussels has to offer - its an amazing city! Thanks again for choosing IVHQ and we hope to see you on an other program soon. Jamie - IVHQ Program Manager.

Kiersten

Brussels: Food Outreach

The Food Outreach program I participated in was absolutely amazing! I fell in love with Brussels the first day I was there. There is so much to do and see, and the people are so incredibly friendly! The Serve the City team was so supportive throughout the entirety of my trip, and were extremely realistic of expectations. They flourish based on the idea of “empathy and enjoyment.” They want you to be able to serve the city with empathy, and enjoy yourself while doing it! Not only was Serve the City amazing, but the rest of the IVHQ team that I volunteered with. Although we were very different in many ways, we were also very like-minded. We connected very early on, and spent our free time together exploring the city of Brussels. I would recommend this project over and over again!!

The hostel is not the greatest in terms of cleanliness and quality.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kiersten! Thanks so much for your review. It's awesome to hear you had an amazing time in Brussels and felt well supported during your stay. We hope to have you back on another IVHQ program soon! Jamie - IVHQ Program Manager.

Hanyu

Unforgettable 3 weeks in Brussles

Unexpectedly, the activities are pretty various and interesting, even though volunteers all have their own projects, working team also arrange the timetable according to what we prefer, and everyday we will be led by experienced volunteers.
The accommodation was surpriingly good and tidy.
The language will not be the obstacle, even we cannot speak French, we can also have happy work. Every place we helped is organized and people there are friendly.
The project I chose was Education support, all the kids I met were quite adorable, I really enjoyed lovely time with them.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review, Hanyu and for your feedback too. We're glad to hear you found the work in Brussels to be interesting and had a good time overall. Jamie - IVHQ Program Manager.

Lizy

IVHQ: Trip of a Lifetime

I volunteered with IVHQ in Belgium working on the "Mobile Library" project to assist with the immense refugee population in Brussels. This project provided a recreational outlet for the homeless. From start to finish I had constant support from the IVHQ team. I have volunteered through other programs and have found program fees to be overly expensive, but IVHQ offered a reasonable price and a quality program. The team I worked with during my program was "Serve the City". I have never found a group of more like-minded people and this made my placement the perfect fit for me. I stayed at the Norton House where the hosts provided us with a full breakfast and lunch each day. I have dietary requirements which I am normally able to deal with on my own, but they went out of the way to make sure that I was properly accommodated. Overall, I would highly recommend IVHQ! I am looking forward to my next trip with them.

The projects are all with the same organization "Serve the City". Often times, the other volunteers and I would do different things each day. If I had signed up for one project, it was likely that this would not be the only thing that I would be doing. This did not bother me, but it would be nice to know that in the project descriptions.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Lizy! Thanks so much for your review. It's so great to read how much you enjoyed your time on the program and the connections you made. ​Your feedback is also really helpful - we've already updated our Mobile Library description to make the variety of tasks clearer beforehand. Thanks again, and we look forward to having you back to volunteer with us soon. ^Jamie-lee - IVHQ Belgium Program Manager

Shaun

IVHQ Review - Food Outreach

My short time volunteering in Brussels has been at once inspiring, challenging, eye-opening and hugely rewarding. As part of my placement, I was assigned to a number of NGO's throughout the city aimed at tackling homelessness, poverty and the ongoing refugee crisis.

The broad and varied nature of our work meant that as a volunteer, I was able to gain experience in a number of different charitable settings ranging from a kitchen serving hot meals to those affected by homelessness and/ or poverty to an organisation based in the Raphael center through which we collected and distributed leftover foods from businesses and schools around the city.

Although a six or seven o'clock start might not appeal to many, the early morning starts meant that we would usually finish by one-ish at the latest; a timeframe which allowed us plenty of time in the afternoons and evenings to explore the city, see the sights and sample some of the local foods.

I found that the concept of voluntourism enabled me to make effective use of my Easter break whilst also getting to experience a new country, culture and language; and most importantly, make a positive difference in someone else's life.

For me, I think that one of the most rewarding parts of my time spent in Belgium was the gratitude and optimism shown by clients towards volunteers and vice versa in spite of their personal circumstances. I found this to be both heart-warming and eye-opening as we so often take for granted the little things like a hot meal and shelter.

When applying to volunteer in Belgium I was conscious that I was taking a chance in terms of the programme itself, the people I would be volunteering with and the nature of the work. However, is a chance which I am glad I took as it has led me to an amazing adventure and led me to meet some equally amazing people.

Better communication regarding activities and planning.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Shaun. Thanks for taking the time to review your experience on our program in Belgium. I'm so glad to hear you had an inspiring and rewarding time which also challenged you. We hope to have you back for another IVHQ program soon. ^Jamie-lee - IVHQ Belgium Program Manager