Cuso International works collaboratively with overseas partner organizations on locally and nationally managed projects. Our volunteers bring their professional skills and work on long-term solutions that will have an impact on local communities, and the volunteer, for generations to come.
Our volunteers share new ideas, experiences and perspectives, building relationships that last beyond their placements.
Volunteers offer professional skills that are not readily available for development work in the country where they are placed. Volunteers work with local partners to support training and development of people who directly provide services that would otherwise be denied to disadvantaged communities, passing on those skills to colleagues so that services are sustainable.
Cuso International volunteers are selected for their personal qualities including intercultural sensitivity, flexibility, adaptability and the ability to work well with others.
View Program Information
• Attendance at a Cuso International assessment day (candidates must cover the first $150 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and accommodation costs)
• Travel and accommodation costs associated with pre-departure training
• Return airfare and visa/permit (this includes a return flight in the case of a family emergency)
• Coverage for required vaccinations, medications and comprehensive health insurance
• Accommodation while overseas
• A modest living allowance, which varies depending on the country where you are placed
• Quarterly payments to support you in your placement
• Modest support for accompanying partners
• For placements requiring Spanish language, substantive in-country language training is provided for those who already have intermediate knowledge
• Volunteers are expected to fundraise before their departure with a target of $2000 to support future volunteers and raise awareness about International Development and the work of Cuso International