Affordable Group Volunteer Programs in 35+ Destinations Worldwide with IVHQ

Affordable Group Volunteer Programs in 35+ Destinations Worldwide with IVHQ

When you volunteer as a group with IVHQ, you have the ability to completely tailor a program to meet the needs and interests of your group. With group options available in a variety of project settings, IVHQ are able to ensure that your group gets the most out of their experience abroad!

To volunteer as a group you are required to have at least 8 members, and you are able to nominate a group leader, who will be in contact with our IVHQ Groups team right from day one. Your group can be made up anyway, whether it be a high school, university, corporate or religious group, we can customize a program for you.

Discover below 5 of the 30 group destinations currently available to IVHQ groups. You can find more information on volunteering as a group on the Groups section of IVHQ's website.

• Guatemala: Groups in Guatemala can stay in the same accommodation, arrange private transport and build a range of cultural and tourism activities into their itineraries prior to departure. IVHQ's local team in Guatemala also assign a dedicated coordinator to your group for the duration of your stay.
  • India: A large group can easily be accommodated together in India, whether it be teaching at the same slum school, working on a medical campaign or taking a weekend trip to the Taj Mahal! With the bustle of Delhi, or the serenity of Dharamsala, there are two awesome group destinations to consider in India.
  • Morocco: If you are after a program with a large focus on cultural immersion, Morocco is the perfect destination to consider. Groups can stay together in a large Riad, and use their afternoons to explore many of the points of interest in Rabat, many of which are free!
  • Romania: With fully customizable programs and start dates, groups in Romania are able to leap into life as a local, and truly experience all that Miercurea Ciuc has to offer! With 6 exciting volunteer projects, there is plenty of options for groups.
  • Peru: If your group is looking for a unique type of volunteer work, Peru - Cusco should be top of your list. With a central hub in Cusco, groups can take part in a range of volunteer work, while still being accommodated together in the evenings and for any additional activities added.
North America
Oceania

Deborah
Kempsey, NSW, Australia

Teaching English in Ho Chi Minh

I went to HCMC for 10 days to volunteer teaching English to young adults. The entire program was executed with precision and accuracy; from transport from airport to hotel via private bus, to tours, to teaching in an English school.
I was with a group of 12 in total, 10 Tafe students and 2 tutors. We all supported one another and stuck together everywhere we went. The area we stayed in was an hour from the city centre, and being the only obvious looking foreigners, the locals soon got used to talking to us.
This trip was unique because it was full of many 'firsts' - first time to an Asian country, first time teaching, first time traveling with people I did not know.
Ho Chi Minh is extremely humid and hot. However, if you feel the cold like me, bring something to keep you warm when you are in air conditioned buildings or buses. Crossing the road is definitely something you need to prepare for ahead of time, it can be scary otherwise. According to our local coordinator, wearing a backpack on your back or front is safer than wearing an over the shoulder bag. Things to do when you get free time; water puppet show, cu chi tunnels, war museum, mekong river delta, vietnamese cooking class, Back of The Bike Tour, Markets, river cruise. We did not encounter many mosquitos, surprisingly, nor did we get sunburnt, but never underestimate the need for sunblock and repellent. I didn't bother taking an umbrella, because you can get ponchos everywhere. Bottled water is also everywhere, and its cheaper to dine out than cook your own food. You just need millions of VND because A $1 is approximately 17,400 VND, and you will find yourself running out of cash quickly because you will have millions of dong, but it will only amount to about A$100. There are lots of ATM's that give you VND for a small fee. Check out the Vietnamese candy/chocolates in the snack aisles of the supermarket. There are Vietnamese and Western toilets in HCM, but we were encouraged (told) not to put the toilet paper in the toilet, because the sewerage system is not adequate. There are bins for the paper. (Always carry tissues with you).
The entire experience left me feeling like staying a few more days and not being ready to leave when we did. We met so many smiling and kind people, and made many new friends in the students we interacted with. I did get better at crossing the road, even by myself at night. Teaching English took me beyond my comfort zone, but I soon forgot about that and went with the flow of interacting with the students. The biggest impact this has had is that I want to see more of the world and experience more cultural differences. I've learned how to show respect and humble myself, in another culture, yes, but also here in Australia too.
Thank you IVHG for this opportunity <3

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Deborah, thanks very much for your detailed and informative review, I am sure future volunteers are going to find this very useful! It's also excellent to hear the program made such a positive impact on you and that you wanted to stay for extra days. We look forward to you volunteering with IVHQ in the future.
Sean - IVHQ Vietnam Program Manager

Samantha
USA
Suffolk County Community College

IVHQ TANZANIA

I volunteered with IVHQ for three weeks on the medical program in Tanzania. I had an incredible experience! The staff were so friendly and helpful. They answered all of my questions promptly and thoroughly. The accommodations were much more comfortable than I could have imagined, and the excursions were so amazing!! I will absolutely be volunteering with IVHQ again. They are lovely people and I had an excellent experience.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Samantha. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience! We're really happy to hear you had an incredible time in Tanzania and look forward to having you back on another IVHQ program soon.
Will - IVHQ Tanzania Program Manager

Qianbo

Thailand Outdoor Work Program

It was a good program. The best part of it is the local people, from the support team to the host family. Everyone was welcoming and friendly. The food was awesome (omelet was the best :) and the living condition was also acceptable. The village we worked in was a very natural village and there were many chickens around. We had a great friendship and I think some of my friends even went back for the next year.

In terms of what work is suitable for volunteers to do, I think they can identify it clearly. Since some of the work requires some skills, not all the volunteers can do it.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Qianbo, I'm pleased to hear that you had such a great experience in Thailand and that you made lasting friendships during your time there.
Sam - IVHQ Thailand Program Manager

Julia
Chicago, IL
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Merida Mexico Volunteering

I went to Merida with a few other members of my University's Spanish Club for a week over our Spring Break. I was really excited to go because I had never been to Mexico before and I would be able to volunteer while being there. My group was placed at CRIT, a hospital that is funded by the government for kids with neuromuscular disabilities. I absolutely loved the placement that we were at and I felt feeling really good every day. We took an uber to our placement because it would be cheaper, but if your placement requires a bus make sure you wake up with enough time to get on. The other workers and volunteers help you understand the bus system during orientation, which helps a lot. Our volunteering was only from 9am-1pm which was very nice because it gave us enough time to go out during the afternoons if we wanted to, but if we wanted to stay in we were able to have a short siesta (nap) or take a swim in the pool which was in the backyard. We also got our lunch at our placement. The food at our volunteer house was very delicious. Dinner was prepared by the abuelita at the family's house. The food she mad was cooked with love and was very delicious, can not say that enough! We also came in a day early which is how we got to do a day trip to Celestun. The afternoon trips that we did were to the 3 cenotes and to Uxmal. The prices were very affordable and worth it. Hope that if you go on this trip you will enjoy it as much as I did!

I dont see any ways that it could be improved.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Julia, Thanks for sharing a little of your trip to Merida, Mexico! We are so thrilled that your group enjoyed the experience, from the volunteer placement to the free-time activities. Thanks for being an awesome group; we would love to have you back!
Kirsty – IVHQ Groups Program Manager

Mariam
Kuwait

Kenya volunteer trip

It was one of the best experiences of my life and was amazing. Filled with everlasting joyous memories and experiences. The trip exceeded all my expectations and gave me so much in return. I was shocked with the generosity and warmth everyone greeted and showered us with there, it was overwhelmingly heart warming. Could not have asked for a better trip and experience. Our university brought some students to volunteer at Kenya Mombasa and little did i know that i would be getting so much out of this trip than the alternative. I have learned so much form this experience and believe it has transformed and is transforming me into a better version of myself. It has opened my perspective and view on the world and life's aspects. As well as allowed me to have a better insight to others cultures and traditions including having a more well rounded appreciation for diversely different cultures and histories. Overall the trip exceed all my expectations positively and i could not thank born again orphanage and IVHQ team enough for the great memories and everlasting happy memories i hold in my heart, so thank you for everything, everyone even the people of Kenya were so welcoming, it all made our stay that much more better and wonderful.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Mariam, Thanks for sharing! It is great to hear that you had an amazing experience in Kenya, which exceeded your expectations. It is beautiful to read about the warmth and generosity showed to you by the local people and of the knowledge and insight you gained from this experience. Thanks for being an awesome volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.
Will – IVHQ Kenya Program Manager

Jessica
Galesburg, Michigan, USA
Ferris State University

Volunteering in Costa Rica

I had a great experience volunteering through IVHQ! They were incredibly helpful coordinating everything in advance and for preparing us. The local team was absolutely incredible. I really enjoyed working with the kids doing well-child check ups and practicing my Spanish with them. We had some teenage girls teach us some local dances and even though we didn't know Spanish well and they didn't know English at all we were still able to communicate through the music and dance!

More communication with the local team before meeting them would have been nice. We coordinated with the team in New Zealand and they communicated with the local team in Costa Rica but we never actually communicated with the local team until we were there.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jessica, Thanks for sharing. We are so glad that you enjoyed the volunteer work in Costa Rica and it is awesome to hear that you were able to connect with the locals through music and dance! Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Synthia
Castaic
University of California- Los Angeles

Antigua, Guatemala - A Hidden Gem

For one week, I volunteered under the medical project through IVHQ in Antigua, Guatemala. I chose Guatemala because it was one of the most affordable programs offered by IVHQ, but my experience completely surpassed my expectations. The local volunteer staff was beyond helpful and kind. They directed us to the best eateries/tours and supported us in every way throughout the entire trip. I highly recommend this program to anyone who's looking for a beautiful cultural experience at a low cost!

Everything was fantastic! My only criticism is that I wish IVHQ included the dates of accommodation on their website. I booked the wrong dates for my flight, but it wasn't much trouble dealing with it.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Synthia, We are thrilled to hear that you received excellent support from the local team and that the program in Guatemala surpassed your expectations. Thanks so much for your support and for being an awesome volunteer.
Lachlan – IVHQ Guatemala Program Manager

Jasmin
Clarksville, TN
Austin Peay State University

My Ecuador experience

As an experienced traveler, I have to say that I was impressed with the accommodations for our group and the friendly and knowledgeable staff. We felt taken care of the entire time we were there, we knew what we needed to do and what they expected of us ahead of time. Staff was willing to help us understand the culture and our mission at all times, no question went unanswered. I am so happy I got a chance to participate on this trip and I look forward to future trips. I enjoy working with IVHQ.

Provide transportation for short term groups from home to office and to work site (street kids program) so that the volunteers can feel more safe during their stay. Provide information about the location, work site and staff more in advance for planning purposes.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jasmin, We are so glad that you enjoyed your time on the program in Ecuador and felt supported by our local team. You look like a great group of volunteers! We would love to have you volunteer with us again in the future.

Courtney
Lovettsville, VA

My Review

When I told the children I was from America, they were very excited. They were working in their workbooks and one table began quickly flipping through the pages until they found a picture of the earth and the moon, to scale. They ran up to me and showed me the page and pointed to the moon. "Is that where America is?" they asked. I laughed and showed them on the earth where America was, and then pointed to South Africa, where we were currently. "America is very far away from here, but not THAT far!"

I loved it! My only regret is not staying longer.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Courtney, What a nice story! Thanks for providing a beautiful snippet of your time on the program in South Africa. We hope to welcome you on another IVHQ program in the future.

Cindy
Smiths Falls

My Experience Volunteering in Naples!

I cannot recommend IVHQ enough! I had the best 2 weeks of my life volunteering with NGO Support in Naples. The INN staff were so helpful and welcoming.

I couldn't get over the culture and character in Naples, it was absolutely beautiful. I was a little scared at first because I'm sure a lot of you looking into volunteering or travelling to Naples have heard some horror stories... Well, I can assure you that all the locals I met were very kind and helpful, to say the least. I made some very dear friends that I've been keeping in touch with.

We had a lot of off time that we spent exploring all the sights that Naples had to offer. We also had time to visit Rome, Sorrento, and Pompeii. I would recommend this experience to anyone!

ps. Try not to drink a cappuccino after 10 a.m., the locals might laugh at you!

I honestly wouldn't change a thing. Everything was great.

Sarah
London
University of Aberdeen

Teaching English in Cusco

When I was looking at volunteering options there seemed to be a minefield of choices, problems and good and bad reviews out there. I believe some negative reviews are from mis-informed people who haven't done enough research into how the company operate and where the money goes. One reason I chose IVHQ is because their website makes this information very clear.
The lead-up to my volunteering was well organised, and I had access to ask any questions I might have. Luckily I have been to developing countries and knew what to expect but the introduction videos are a great way to manage expectations. You should definitely expect to have nervous moments when volunteering abroad or moments of feeling out of your depth. However, with challenge come great rewards. During my week volunteering in Cusco I felt that I made a real difference to the people there and in many ways wished that I had been able to stay for longer. You will meet interesting people, see and experience local culture but most of all, with some hard work, you can make a difference to local lives. At the end of the day volunteering is about what you can give, the impact on you and the benefits you feel are just an added bonus. For anyone embarking on teaching English, doing a TEFL course beforehand or simply exploring teaching methods across various age groups can certainly help you feel a little more prepared and improve the impact you have once you arrive. If you are simply unsure if volunteering is for you then I would definitely say try it, it will almost certainly be an experience you won't forget!

In some ways it would be nice to know what age group was being taught in advance as it would allow for some preparation, however, I appreciate that this can be difficult for the local staff to prepare and manage.

Sam
Sydney, Australia

I didn't want to leave!

Volunteering through ILCS was everything I hoped it would be but completely different to anything I had imagined! I was a little apprehensive about teaching adults but they were the most incredible, motivated and amazing group of people I could have wished for. Lessons were filled with laughter, learning and exchanges of culture. The commitment and determination of the students saw them learn quickly which made it easy for us volunteers to feel like we were making a difference.
And the program wasn't just about the placement. I was blessed with a super star host family that despite some language barriers treated me like I was one of their own. They cooked incredible meals that they made sure I ate plenty of! I know it sounds cliche, but we formed a bond that has lasted beyond my visit and I hope will last forever.
Lastly, the social structure was a lot of fun. Samad, our wonderful field co-ordinator made sure all the volunteers met up weekly which was a great way to make friends and swap stories.
4 weeks wasn't nearly long enough and I'm already plotting my return :)

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sam, thanks for your feedback. It's great to read that you felt well supported by IVHQ, our local team and your host family. It sounds like you had a really positive experience and we won't ever get bored of hearing this from our volunteers. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Stephany
Elmont,New York
State University of New York- Plattsburgh

MY TIME IN IVHQ INDIA!!!!!!

This program has been a lifechanging and incredible experience, from the people I have met in and outside off the program. If you wish to immerse yourself to a completely different environment then India is the place. My time at the slum school was terrifying at first, but later on became one of the most life changing experiences and I definitely learned more from these children than they could ever hope to learn from me. My host family not only fed me and gave me a place to stay but they made me feel like part of the family. Never have I met such a funny, and loving group of people in my life and there was never a dull moment when I was with them. If you wish to come to this program, let me tell you, it won't be easy and it will leave you on sensory overload at all times. The things you see outside of the program will leave you in shock at times and you will feel a culture shock once you are here. If you want comfort and luxury living then maybe this isn't for you, but if you're willing to handle all the beautiful mayhem that India has to offer then try it. I promise you won't regret it. My biggest advice when coming here is to stay as open minded as possible and let yourself get immersed in the culture and your family as best you can because you will learn so much from them. These aren't life changing experiences for nothing because you will have to work for it. IVHQ is an incredible program and I wish whoever wishes to join a safe voyage/

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey Stephany, It's great to hear from you! Thanks for sharing a little from your time in India with IVHQ. We are so glad that you experience was so rewarding and we hope to welcome you on another program again in the future. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to