Affordable Group Volunteer Programs in 35+ Destinations Worldwide with IVHQ

Volunteering Placement
Excursion to Celestun
Excursion to Celestun
Hanging out :)
Fellow traveler on the road. By Mr elephant.
Mombasa is beautiful. Took the kids to the beach for a day of fun from Born Again children home.

When you volunteer as a group with IVHQ, you have the ability to completely tailor a program to meet the needs and interests of your group. With group options available in a variety of project settings, IVHQ are able to ensure that your group gets the most out of their experience abroad!

To volunteer as a group you are required to have at least 8 members, and you are able to nominate a group leader, who will be in contact with our IVHQ Groups team right from day one. Your group can be made up anyway, whether it be a high school, university, corporate or religious group, we can customize a program for you.

Jason

Great opportunity to help where help is needed

This program provided me with a chance to deliver some help where it was really needed, in a northern village of Ghana. There we helped children and adults manage their various wounds in an environment where health care is particularly difficult to find, let alone continuous wound management.

Our coordinator Evans was awesome and helped us with navigation, direction, and pretty much everything involved with integrating with the locals and not feeling isolated.

The experience was great and the impact was felt from wound management to education, every role made an improvement. There was also enough down time and freedom to explore the surrounding cities and have a ton of fun while helping out. We were able to check out some historical castles, eat and dance with locals, and even enjoy a beach amongst other things and activities.

Starting some additional local long term projects would be great and provide more options on the ground for volunteers who are staying for a shorter term. I would also suggest a continuously updating list of supplies/stock needed so volunteers can have a better idea of what to bring, if possible.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jason, thanks for your review of our Ghana program. It's great to hear that you were so well supported and you got to use some of your skills on the project. Thanks for your suggestions - I will pass these on.
Your contribution to the community is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon! ^ Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Emma

Guatemalan Medical Campaign

I could not have had a better time on my medical campaign in Antigua, Guatemala. The staff before and during the trip was so supportive and helpful, always answering any questions I had. Once in Guatemala the medical clinics we were able to work at were amazing! I learned so much and met so many people from all different backgrounds and with different stories to tell. I could actually see that the work I was doing was making a difference in these people's lives and everyone was grateful and happy to have us there. Not only did we do amazing work, we had ample time to tour the city and surrounding areas! The program made it easy to schedule trips to volcanos, coffee farms, and many hikes to appreciate Guatemala's natural beauty :) I was able to do and see so much, easily the best week of my life!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Emma, Thanks for posting about your time on the IVHQ Guatemala Medical project. It's awesome to hear that you enjoyed your volunteering placement at the clinic and still had plenty of time for adventures! We hope you will join us again soon! ^Charlotte - IVHQ Guatemala Program Manager

Bethany

Guatemala construction project

Absolutely awesome! Love every moment of my trip! Not only did we build an after school care facility for kids but we had so many options to do excursions! I learned so much and would recommend this to anyone! It’s a great way to meet new people and to help out a community! Wonderful people I got to work with! Definitely hard work but so worth it ! They will throw you into anything for construction so keep an open mind, have fun and don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty! Just wish I had more time there!

Can’t think of anything
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Bethany, thanks for sharing! I'm pleased you were able to enjoy your customized trip and get to take advantage of meaningful volunteer work and also a range of activities. Thanks again for your great review and we hope you will join us again in the future! ^Kirsty - IVHQ Groups Manager

Carolyn

An Incredible, Fun and Humbling Experience

I went with a group of 10 people to Guatemala to do a Medical Service Campaign with IVHQ. It was one of the most incredible experiences I have had in my life. IVHQ was amazing at coordinating everything and so it took very little preparation on our end. We had clinic days throughout the week where we had the opportunity to work directly with patients to help diagnose and provide medications. I learned so much throughout this experience and was very humbled by all of the wonderful people I was able to meet in Guatemala. IVHQ also helped us to set up incredible excursions, which included hiking 2 volcanoes (one was an overnight camping trip, the other one was a day hike where we roasted marshmallows from the heat of the volcano!), visited a coffee plantation, and went zip-lining. This was such an amazing experience and I would highly recommend doing a trip through IVHQ. I loved the experience so much, I am actually hoping to set up a trip again this summer!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Carolyn, thanks for sharing! We're stoked to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your program, and we're glad you were able to maximise your time abroad by including a range of activities. We look forward to having you back with us again this summer! ^Kirsty - IVHQ Groups Program Manager

Read my full story
Alexa

IVHQ Monteverde, Costa Rica--Eco Agriculture Project

My volunteer experience in Monteverde, Costa Rica was an absolutely life-changing experience! I used my Spanish with locals and was able to translate for my group. I learned so much about ecotourism, organic agriculture, infrastructure in rural areas, preservation of resources/parks, energy produced by renewable resources, Costa Rican culture, and even witnessed directly the effects of erosion and hurricanes. I stayed at the finca, La Bella Tica, with Oldemar and Ersi and appreciated their accommodations so much!
It was such a comprehensive experience in using both my Spanish and Cultural Geography degrees, I could not have asked for a better way to learn and apply my studies! I have gained a new lease on life and am ready to take on new challenges and expand my use of language and knowledge of culture.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alexa, Thanks for sharing! We are stoked to hear that you had an eye-opening and life changing experience in Costa Rica. We have loved having you volunteer with us and we would happily welcome you again in the future! ^Lachlan - IVHQ Costa Rica Program Manager

Deborah

Teaching English in Ho Chi Minh

I went to HCMC for 10 days to volunteer teaching English to young adults. The entire program was executed with precision and accuracy; from transport from airport to hotel via private bus, to tours, to teaching in an English school.
I was with a group of 12 in total, 10 Tafe students and 2 tutors. We all supported one another and stuck together everywhere we went. The area we stayed in was an hour from the city centre, and being the only obvious looking foreigners, the locals soon got used to talking to us.
This trip was unique because it was full of many 'firsts' - first time to an Asian country, first time teaching, first time traveling with people I did not know.
Ho Chi Minh is extremely humid and hot. However, if you feel the cold like me, bring something to keep you warm when you are in air conditioned buildings or buses. Crossing the road is definitely something you need to prepare for ahead of time, it can be scary otherwise. According to our local coordinator, wearing a backpack on your back or front is safer than wearing an over the shoulder bag. Things to do when you get free time; water puppet show, cu chi tunnels, war museum, mekong river delta, vietnamese cooking class, Back of The Bike Tour, Markets, river cruise. We did not encounter many mosquitos, surprisingly, nor did we get sunburnt, but never underestimate the need for sunblock and repellent. I didn't bother taking an umbrella, because you can get ponchos everywhere. Bottled water is also everywhere, and its cheaper to dine out than cook your own food. You just need millions of VND because A $1 is approximately 17,400 VND, and you will find yourself running out of cash quickly because you will have millions of dong, but it will only amount to about A$100. There are lots of ATM's that give you VND for a small fee. Check out the Vietnamese candy/chocolates in the snack aisles of the supermarket. There are Vietnamese and Western toilets in HCM, but we were encouraged (told) not to put the toilet paper in the toilet, because the sewerage system is not adequate. There are bins for the paper. (Always carry tissues with you).
The entire experience left me feeling like staying a few more days and not being ready to leave when we did. We met so many smiling and kind people, and made many new friends in the students we interacted with. I did get better at crossing the road, even by myself at night. Teaching English took me beyond my comfort zone, but I soon forgot about that and went with the flow of interacting with the students. The biggest impact this has had is that I want to see more of the world and experience more cultural differences. I've learned how to show respect and humble myself, in another culture, yes, but also here in Australia too.
Thank you IVHG for this opportunity <3

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Deborah, thanks very much for your detailed and informative review, I am sure future volunteers are going to find this very useful! It's also excellent to hear the program made such a positive impact on you and that you wanted to stay for extra days. We look forward to you volunteering with IVHQ in the future.
Sean - IVHQ Vietnam Program Manager

Samantha

IVHQ TANZANIA

I volunteered with IVHQ for three weeks on the medical program in Tanzania. I had an incredible experience! The staff were so friendly and helpful. They answered all of my questions promptly and thoroughly. The accommodations were much more comfortable than I could have imagined, and the excursions were so amazing!! I will absolutely be volunteering with IVHQ again. They are lovely people and I had an excellent experience.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Samantha. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience! We're really happy to hear you had an incredible time in Tanzania and look forward to having you back on another IVHQ program soon.
Will - IVHQ Tanzania Program Manager

Qianbo

Thailand Outdoor Work Program

It was a good program. The best part of it is the local people, from the support team to the host family. Everyone was welcoming and friendly. The food was awesome (omelet was the best :) and the living condition was also acceptable. The village we worked in was a very natural village and there were many chickens around. We had a great friendship and I think some of my friends even went back for the next year.

In terms of what work is suitable for volunteers to do, I think they can identify it clearly. Since some of the work requires some skills, not all the volunteers can do it.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Qianbo, I'm pleased to hear that you had such a great experience in Thailand and that you made lasting friendships during your time there.
Sam - IVHQ Thailand Program Manager

Julia

Merida Mexico Volunteering

I went to Merida with a few other members of my University's Spanish Club for a week over our Spring Break. I was really excited to go because I had never been to Mexico before and I would be able to volunteer while being there. My group was placed at CRIT, a hospital that is funded by the government for kids with neuromuscular disabilities. I absolutely loved the placement that we were at and I felt feeling really good every day. We took an uber to our placement because it would be cheaper, but if your placement requires a bus make sure you wake up with enough time to get on. The other workers and volunteers help you understand the bus system during orientation, which helps a lot. Our volunteering was only from 9am-1pm which was very nice because it gave us enough time to go out during the afternoons if we wanted to, but if we wanted to stay in we were able to have a short siesta (nap) or take a swim in the pool which was in the backyard. We also got our lunch at our placement. The food at our volunteer house was very delicious. Dinner was prepared by the abuelita at the family's house. The food she mad was cooked with love and was very delicious, can not say that enough! We also came in a day early which is how we got to do a day trip to Celestun. The afternoon trips that we did were to the 3 cenotes and to Uxmal. The prices were very affordable and worth it. Hope that if you go on this trip you will enjoy it as much as I did!

I dont see any ways that it could be improved.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Julia, Thanks for sharing a little of your trip to Merida, Mexico! We are so thrilled that your group enjoyed the experience, from the volunteer placement to the free-time activities. Thanks for being an awesome group; we would love to have you back!
Kirsty – IVHQ Groups Program Manager

Mariam

Kenya volunteer trip

It was one of the best experiences of my life and was amazing. Filled with everlasting joyous memories and experiences. The trip exceeded all my expectations and gave me so much in return. I was shocked with the generosity and warmth everyone greeted and showered us with there, it was overwhelmingly heart warming. Could not have asked for a better trip and experience. Our university brought some students to volunteer at Kenya Mombasa and little did i know that i would be getting so much out of this trip than the alternative. I have learned so much form this experience and believe it has transformed and is transforming me into a better version of myself. It has opened my perspective and view on the world and life's aspects. As well as allowed me to have a better insight to others cultures and traditions including having a more well rounded appreciation for diversely different cultures and histories. Overall the trip exceed all my expectations positively and i could not thank born again orphanage and IVHQ team enough for the great memories and everlasting happy memories i hold in my heart, so thank you for everything, everyone even the people of Kenya were so welcoming, it all made our stay that much more better and wonderful.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Mariam, Thanks for sharing! It is great to hear that you had an amazing experience in Kenya, which exceeded your expectations. It is beautiful to read about the warmth and generosity showed to you by the local people and of the knowledge and insight you gained from this experience. Thanks for being an awesome volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.
Will – IVHQ Kenya Program Manager

Jessica

Volunteering in Costa Rica

I had a great experience volunteering through IVHQ! They were incredibly helpful coordinating everything in advance and for preparing us. The local team was absolutely incredible. I really enjoyed working with the kids doing well-child check ups and practicing my Spanish with them. We had some teenage girls teach us some local dances and even though we didn't know Spanish well and they didn't know English at all we were still able to communicate through the music and dance!

More communication with the local team before meeting them would have been nice. We coordinated with the team in New Zealand and they communicated with the local team in Costa Rica but we never actually communicated with the local team until we were there.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jessica, Thanks for sharing. We are so glad that you enjoyed the volunteer work in Costa Rica and it is awesome to hear that you were able to connect with the locals through music and dance! Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Synthia

Antigua, Guatemala - A Hidden Gem

For one week, I volunteered under the medical project through IVHQ in Antigua, Guatemala. I chose Guatemala because it was one of the most affordable programs offered by IVHQ, but my experience completely surpassed my expectations. The local volunteer staff was beyond helpful and kind. They directed us to the best eateries/tours and supported us in every way throughout the entire trip. I highly recommend this program to anyone who's looking for a beautiful cultural experience at a low cost!

Everything was fantastic! My only criticism is that I wish IVHQ included the dates of accommodation on their website. I booked the wrong dates for my flight, but it wasn't much trouble dealing with it.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Synthia, We are thrilled to hear that you received excellent support from the local team and that the program in Guatemala surpassed your expectations. Thanks so much for your support and for being an awesome volunteer.
Lachlan – IVHQ Guatemala Program Manager

Jasmin

My Ecuador experience

As an experienced traveler, I have to say that I was impressed with the accommodations for our group and the friendly and knowledgeable staff. We felt taken care of the entire time we were there, we knew what we needed to do and what they expected of us ahead of time. Staff was willing to help us understand the culture and our mission at all times, no question went unanswered. I am so happy I got a chance to participate on this trip and I look forward to future trips. I enjoy working with IVHQ.

Provide transportation for short term groups from home to office and to work site (street kids program) so that the volunteers can feel more safe during their stay. Provide information about the location, work site and staff more in advance for planning purposes.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jasmin, We are so glad that you enjoyed your time on the program in Ecuador and felt supported by our local team. You look like a great group of volunteers! We would love to have you volunteer with us again in the future.

Courtney

My Review

When I told the children I was from America, they were very excited. They were working in their workbooks and one table began quickly flipping through the pages until they found a picture of the earth and the moon, to scale. They ran up to me and showed me the page and pointed to the moon. "Is that where America is?" they asked. I laughed and showed them on the earth where America was, and then pointed to South Africa, where we were currently. "America is very far away from here, but not THAT far!"

I loved it! My only regret is not staying longer.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Courtney, What a nice story! Thanks for providing a beautiful snippet of your time on the program in South Africa. We hope to welcome you on another IVHQ program in the future.

Cindy

My Experience Volunteering in Naples!

I cannot recommend IVHQ enough! I had the best 2 weeks of my life volunteering with NGO Support in Naples. The INN staff were so helpful and welcoming.

I couldn't get over the culture and character in Naples, it was absolutely beautiful. I was a little scared at first because I'm sure a lot of you looking into volunteering or travelling to Naples have heard some horror stories... Well, I can assure you that all the locals I met were very kind and helpful, to say the least. I made some very dear friends that I've been keeping in touch with.

We had a lot of off time that we spent exploring all the sights that Naples had to offer. We also had time to visit Rome, Sorrento, and Pompeii. I would recommend this experience to anyone!

ps. Try not to drink a cappuccino after 10 a.m., the locals might laugh at you!

I honestly wouldn't change a thing. Everything was great.