Save Cambodian Marine Life | Volunteer on the beach

Save Cambodian Marine Life | Volunteer on the beach

We are a grass roots conservation NGO that work to get the job done. We have very unique projects and ideas that are continuously developing and branching into new ideas. We are now very focused on expanding our coral nursery. The Ministry of Fisheries and Conservation support our project 110% and would really like to see our coral nurseries expand to other islands around Cambodia. The bulk of your time on our project will be spent with working on our coral nursery and doing beach and reef cleans. If there are corals that are healthy enough, then you will also transplant coral back on to the natural reef. Teaching English is another option if you are fluent enough. If you are on the project for long enough, then you may also get the opportunity to take part in our seahorse and marine reef surveys.

Asia » Cambodia
Everything is included in the package price except transportation to the island of M'Pai Bei, Koh Rong Samloem. Share accommodation, food and all scuba diving and snorkeling equipment and tools for all projects.

Carys
Tauranga, New Zealand
University of Waikato

Amazing marine programme

Had an an awesome time on this volunteer program. Was fully immersed into the Cambodian culture and got to help out with the local community. The diving was great (water was so warm!) and we were provided with fantastic information and knowledge. It was great to be a part of the marine scientific research and to make a difference with the local coral reef. I found it especially interesting as I am currently studying marine biology and did a project looking at the coral nurseries and fish abundance. I highly recommend for anyone with a passion for the ocean.

The program and staff were fantastic, only thing I can say is that I did get a bit sick of rice - but I suppose it is all part of the experience!

Justin
Prince George, British Columbia

Justin Haws, one of the firsts!

Thank you so much, this experience made my trip more than I could have ever asked for. James was amazing. His experience, work ethic and want to have fun attitude made Save Cambodian Marine Life what it is. We had a blast, and I'm glad I was able to meet James. The program, even though we were the first to volunteer, has so much going for it.

We met locals, learned about their culture and went scuba diving every day. We cleaned the artificial reefs that you see in the pictures, as well as assembled a whole bunch more. One of the best experiences was watching the artificial reefs slowly grow, and by the time our week was up we even had a few fish that were calling it home!

Give this a try, absolutely fun experience. I HIGHLY recommend! Thank you again James, I really look forward to seeing you again on our next adventure!

Honestly, steps were taken to improve everything that could have been. As said before we were the first to be there, so we helped set up whatever we could. I can only imagine what they have accomplished since January!

Beth
Bangkok, Thailand
McMaster University

Great program, great people!

Fantastic experience! SCML gave me a chance to dive everyday, experience different locations and kinds of diving, while helping marine life. I got to stay on a beautiful island, on a pier, overlooking clear water and green forested islands. My time there was meaningful, peaceful and slowed down because you are disconnected from the busy life of phones, internet, etc. I was involved in a variety of projects from protecting marine life, to surveying, to working with kids at a school, to "greening" the SCML location. A very cool stop on my journey! Great program and great people!

The program was just starting up when I arrived. A lot of the things we tried were for the first time and some kinks had to be worked out with what we did. I think once these kinks are worked through and a smooth routine is developed, it will run better.

Martijn
Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Save Cambodian Marine Life Volunteering Program

I had a fantastic time on Koh Rong Samloem and would recommend this program to anyone. It was my first time diving but the instructors were great and let me do lots of different things (collecting coral, building coral nurseries, seahorse survey, fish identification course). Furthermore we had loads of fun helping to build a school, exploring the island and drinking with locals. I just wish I could've stayed longer!

The food wasn't the best but from what I've heard that's already been taken care of!

Frankie
United Kingdom
University of Cambridge

Amazing experience!

Wow, what an amazing place to volunteer! Koh Rong Samloem is an incredibly beautiful tropical island, and by working with SCML you not only get to experience this amazing location and culture but you also get to do your part to protect it for future generations.

Save Cambodian Marine Life is a local NGO in Cambodia that has started to help protect the local reefs surrounding Koh Rong Samloem. When you come to us as a volunteer you will learn, experience and work in different areas of marine conservation and learn