Volunteer Colombia Cartagena 7 Social Programs to Choose

Based in the city of Cartagena, the A Broader View volunteer programs have made immense improvements in the everyday lives of the Colombian woman and children we work with. The greatest commitment is to make a radical change in the living conditions and focus on early childhood education. With ABV volunteers help programs such as the Learning Center, Elderly Care, Housing programs and cultural and sports have been able to expand and help fight extreme poverty in these vulnerable communities.

Social Welfare / Child Support
Child Care Center
Language & Cultural Immersion
Elderly Care
Education / Teaching
Women Support
Children Support

• ABV’s Colombia Cartagena program is available year-round, you can start any day of the week

Impact

501 (c)3 nonprofit USA based organization – you can tax deduct the program fees.
Available year-round. You choose your own program start and end dates.
245 perfectly balanced projects - experience, price, service.
100% cultural immersion including local home-stay and guesthouse accommodations.
Program fees include airport transportation, orientation, housing/meals, 24/7 in-country support.
Suitable options for solo travelers, gap year, honeymooners, families, mature travelers & groups.
Excellent safety record and Platinum rated non-profit organization per Guidestar ABV alumni reviews.

working at the fundation
Rosalind

I’d love to return one day!

My time in Cartagena was wonderful. I met so many lovely women and men through my time spent at the foundation, especially the women I worked with. Although sometimes I felt that I could be doing something more effective or instantly productive to some people’s lives I soon realized that the need for emotional support and basic health education is monumental too. I offered to give basic English lessons at the end of the group sessions every morning and I was so pleased to see how enthusiastic the parents at the foundation were to learn after not having much opportunity to beforehand. I spent a lot of time with the toddlers too, to make sure I spent as full a day as possible volunteering and they were so adorable and I found it very rewarding to see them remember me and developing character - even over the period I was there.
I think it’s a beautiful, inspiring, sprawling city that has a lot of social issues at its core but is fundamentally full of great charming people who make the place so vibrant and welcoming. I’d love to return one day!

cartagena
kristine

Abroaderview immersion

It was a wonderful experience volunteering in Cartagena. The Abroaderview immersion program gives a unique opportunity to learn Spanish and at the same time learn more about the Colombian people and culture. The Foundation in which we worked with my daughter is surprisingly well run and really makes a difference for poor families and their children. It was an honor to be part of it and to get to know the adorable children and the fantastic staff.

Rachel

Colombia Cartagena

I went to Colombia with a broader view in the midst of a breakup hoping to find a distraction, but what I got was much more.
I felt like there were so many elements to the trip. There was the volunteer work at the foundation and my relationships with the ladies who worked there, the mothers and the babies. And although there was a lot of work there was also a LOT of laughter.
There was my home life and my relationship with my host family which was fun and warm.
Then there was my individual exploring which I really enjoyed.
All these elements made for a trip that was truly rich in its blessings.

Camilla

My heart in Colombia

I absolutely loved my overall experience in Cartagena, Colombia. My main reason to go to Cartagena was to help out at an institution where poverty was high and resources were very limited. I absolutely had a blast with my host family. I got really close to the mother of the host family, Elena. I call her “Mami”. We did everything together. We went to beaches, we went jogging, dancing, cooking, touring, eating, praying and going to church together. I really believe that she stole my heart and a big piece of my heart will always be with Mami and the family. My Spanish teacher was fun and I did learn a lot from her. My ABV coordinator was helpful and always there when I needed help.

RichardM

2nd Trip Nicaragua

This was my second trip with A Broader View, the first to Colombia. Nicaragua is an experience...one not to be missed. But remember that Nicaragua is the second poorest county in the Western Hemisphere and creature comforts aren't always available. On the plus side, everyone involved with the program was very helpful and thoughtful. And I was pleasantly surprised how positively the young people at the project interacted with me. And now I have a third trip with ABV Peru Cusco, will update the review with that trip as well.

Nadia

Colombia Cartagena Children Program

Abroaderview is a great program, especially for first time travelers like myself. Traveling alone, it was very important that I always felt safe and abroaderview was able to ensure that for me. I could not ever imagine a more perfect way to spend my time. Truly life changing.
The project coordinator was fantastic. He showed us all around, made sure we always felt safe, and always kept checking in. He was very personable and easy to talk to. He perfectly integrated the volunteer work and getting to know the culture and history of the city.
Take your time to fully enjoy all parts of the city of Cartagena. If you get the chance, a nice weekend trip is a four hour bus ride to Santa Marta, with incredible beaches, restaurants, and a great hostel.

I found if very difficult to keep the kids well behaved as there were so many of them and they all really craved attention.
margaret

Fun

great experience working with young children in a disadvantaged population. Lots to share and learn.

Interesting bus ride along the beach regardless of incoming tide!

Difficult to deal tactfully with overt differences eg teachers threatening blows if child didn't eat lunch, or punishment for child biting child was for victim to inflict similar bite on perpetrator!

Good to be accepted into family.

Npt really anything. Perhaps a little more research in host country. Eg the centre where I was assigned in the US seemed fairly disinterested while the one where I went was really into it!
Andrea

I Love Colombia Cartagena

I did a three week stint with A Broader View in Colombia. Overall the experience was incredible and I love the idea of splicing volunteering with vacation. I hope that I made a small difference in the lives of the children at the Hogar and I met some wonderful people during my travels. Colombia is a beautiful country. My host family really welcomed me in like a member of the family and it was great to experience another culture through a home rather than through hotels and all the touristy things to do. Everyone should do something like this at least once in their lives to really gain a different perspective on the world.

About A Broader View Volunteers Corp

A Broader View Volunteers is a registered 501c(3) nonprofit charity located in the USA. Our organization was founded in 2007 and is based in Pennsylvania. Our charity # is 26-0594308, you can fundraise for the cost of the trip in our website and all...