Turtle Rescue and Spanish Immersion Program

Age
14 - 99 years
2 travelers saved this program

About This Program

The Turtle Rescue and Spanish Immersion program offers students the unforgettable opportunity to learn Spanish while making a difference at the same time. Tico Lingo has partnered with a nonprofit organization in Costa Rica dedicated to saving leatherback and green sea turtles. In this one-of-a-kind program, students spend two weeks volunteering before returning to Heredia for two more weeks of intensive Spanish classes and homestay family accommodation.

• Make a positive impact on the people and animal life of Costa Rica
  • See both a remote Costa Rican beach and a traditional Costa Rican city
  • Live with a local family in Costa Rica -- eat the food, experience the culture, and speak the language
  • Connect and work with other volunteers from all over the world
  • Learn the biology of different types of sea turtles and assist with the hatching of baby turtles

The student experience is broken up into two parts: a sea turtle volunteer program held on the coast of Costa Rica, and an intensive Spanish immersion program held at Tico Lingo in downtown Heredia.

During their time volunteering on the beach, students will have the opportunity to care for hatchling turtles, practice their Spanish, and make lifelong friendships in the process. After returning to Heredia, they will live with a local homestay family and take four hours of comprehensive Spanish classes at Tico Lingo each day.

What's Included
What's Included (Extra)

• 3 nights at hip urban hostel in San José
• 10 day of volunteer work with sea turtles
• 2 all-day weekend adventure tours
• Cultural activities; dance, yoga, art, cooking

What's Not Included
Airfare
Domestic Airfare
SIM cards
Visa

14 nights homestay accommodation – Breakfast and Dinner included.
• 10 nights in the volunteer dormitory cabin on beach – 3 meals/day included
• 3 nights at urban hostel in San José w/ typical Costa Rican breakfast.

Why signup?

Your contribution to the program not only helps with the protection of endangered sea turtles but also the betterment of lives of local Costa Rican families. You’ll walk away helping a community of animals and people while improving your ability to communicate in the Spanish language.

Hosted by Tico Lingo

Located two hours from the Pacific ocean and three hours from the Caribbean, Tico Lingo offers a complete Spanish immersion program curated by our expert Spanish professors. Utilizing groups of no more than six students per class, we submerse out...

Availability

Four Weeks
$1850 USD

Jess

Best experience possible!

Originally I just needed to get away from life. The day to day grind needed a break. I researched several volunteering options around central America and found myself being drawn to this one. I had not set out with intentions on learning Spanish. But after looking closley at the project it was clear to me that this was exactly what I needed to do. Do good for the earth, do good for me. I was nervous at first, but quickly all my anxieties diminished. The Spanish immersion I felt was the most effective way to teach me a new language. Jump right in with both feet! My home stay was such a wonderful experience. My host family showed endless patience and a grand since of humor! My time with them will be cherished a lifetime. But that was only half of my amazing adventure! Pairing the home stay with Tortuga Feliz turtle conservation is a brilliant combo! My time at the project was filled lots of laughs, hard work, baby turtles, and plenty of sunshine! I was so impressed with how organized and well ran the project was. I was hands on and very involved with the conservation efforts going on at the location. The satisfaction of witnessing almost instant results from our efforts is a feeling I still hold today. Not effort good things can be said about my entire experience. I'll be back, and I most definitely recommend this program to anyone needing a little self challenge/love. Do it for the turtles. Do it for the community. Do it for You! Thank you to all the working hands behind the scene and on the ground that make this opportunity possible.

In my personal experience, everything was flawless. Thank you!
Lee

Spanish n Turtles

My time in Costa Rica changed my life and it can yours if you want it to.

I was nervous about absolutely everything before booking this program but can honestly say it was the best experience of my life to date.

I loved that everything was so organised which allowed me to just get on and save turtles and learn Spanish. It helped me so much being met at the airport as it was my first ever long haul trip.

Highlights were getting back to basics on a tropical Caribbean beach surrounded by baby turtles. Learning to speak Spanish in an outstandingly friendly atmosphere and being in such an awesome country..
Lowlights were saying goodbye to all the amazing people at the school , down at the beach and especially my homestay family.

Gracias amigos!

100% recommended

Shine

Life long memories made

My main goals when travelling in Costa Rica were to be able to volunteer with wildlife in a program that genuinely made a difference and to be able to learn Spanish while doing so. The Turtle Rescue and Spanish immersion program could not have been more suited to me! Not only did I get to fulfill a dream to really make a difference and help both the turtles and give back to the local community but I also learnt a lot of Spanish, so much more than I expected to in the month that I was there and made friends for life with both my fellow volunteers and my lovely tico family during my home stay, a home away from home. As a huge nature and animal lover, the highlight for me was observing and assisting in the nesting and protection of beautiful turtles and releasing their hatchlings (leatherbacks, greens and hawksbills) in one of the most beautiful places in the world.