Gain invaluable hands-on experience, working side by side with medical staff and fellow volunteers at a hospital or a neighborhood health clinic. This opportunity will give you an insight into the running and daily routine of a hospital or a neighborhood health clinic. You will experience the stark contrast between Western medical practice and the realities of medicine in developing countries. As the hospitals and clinics are still modernizing there are many challenges faced and as a result you will also see medical conditions that have remained untreated and have developed to an advanced pathological stage. Therefore this project not only provides you with responsibility, it also allows you to broaden your perspective by working at a hospital/health clinic in a developing country.
Furthermore, you can gain experience in a range of different departments and activities within the hospital/health clinic, such as: emergency, pediatric, maternity, diabetes, HIV and many more.
- Observe doctors and nurses from whom you can learn the best medical practices.
- Change people's lives by informing them about HIV prevention.
- Gain Spanish fluency by receiving up to six free lessons per week.
- Go on trips and enjoy fun-filled adventures in various places across the Dominican Republic!
- Experience the Dominican way of life and culture through community engagement.