Help Disadvantaged Children in the Colorful Andes of Ecuador

Child eating lunch in Ecuador
Child eating lunch in Ecuador
Helping children in Ecuador
Helping children in Ecuador

Guide, mentor, and tutor children living in poverty to give them a head start in life. As a volunteer, you will help children, families, and preschool teachers in an area of Quito that needs it most. This is a great volunteer opportunity for all types of volunteers.

Our Ecuadorian host partner needs your help in these areas:
- Childcare and teaching: toddlers and preschoolers.
- Construction: maintenance and renovation of childcare facilities.
- Physical labor: landscaping, painting, and masonry.
- Teaching English language skills: helping early childhood educators with their conversational English through games and fun learning activities.
- Public health: Helping with health campaigns and promoting healthy habits like washing hands with soap and water.

Volunteer projects start year-round so visit our website for the most up-to-date information.

• Total immersion in the Ecuadorian experience at this child development center.
  • Work with Ecuadorians on projects that are priorities for them. Support local development.
  • All logistics (except for international airfare) arranged by our staff, so you can focus on volunteering.
  • Global Volunteers' policy: safety trumps everything. Volunteers are well taken care of by their Team Leader while on a service program.
  • Discover the gorgeous Andes and Quito, the highest capital city in the world, with its vibrant and fascinating cultures.

Impact

Make a real difference in the lives of the children and teachers at these early childhood development centers. Expand their opportunities by providing essential services playing with and guiding toddlers ages 1-3, assisting their caregivers, helping improve their classrooms and educational resources, and enhancing their health and nutrition. Thanks to volunteers such as yourself, and the women who support these centers, these children have a safe, nurturing space where they can learn and grown while their mothers are at work each day. Without these centers, these children might be left to the street or an abandoned home. Global Volunteers' support of the centers help keep them running year round. You'll receive tons of gratitude from these smiling, engaging children.

M

Exceeds your expectations

My daughter and I have volunteered with Global Volunteers for 2 years and we are looking forward to working again soon! It is a fabulous opportunity to help and experience new cultures. The best part is meeting the local people! Our work in Quito, Ecuador was headed by Maggie Bjorklund and she was fantastic! The program was very well organized and we always felt safe. We spent two weeks doing labor work at a pre-school and loved playing with the children and assisting the teachers. The hotel we stayed was very comfortable and everyone was very helpful. Our daily breakfast was ready in the mornings and our lunches were delicious! We also had some free time to explore the city and to try typical Ecuadorian foods. I highly recommend Global Volunteers! It will exceed your expectations!

We would not change a thing. Everything was very well organized and there was also lots of flexibility to accommodate last minute changes. We appreciate the pick-up and airport return- always on time! Our hotel was centrally located near restaurants and supermarkets.
Carolyn

You will LOVE this experience

Being with these kids in Ecuador changes you. My 12 yo son came with me. What we learned from these amazing people who experienced poverty: that you feel joy, that you love your kids like crazy, that you have hopes & dreams for them, and they are attainable. We saw unending love and dignity there. The teachers at the daycare are angels. Our team worked hard during the day, then at night -over delicious homemade meals- we debriefed, we laughed, we compared all the connections we have between the cultures. The guidance of our leader Maggie- a rock star! We want to go back. My son remembers details about this special vacation, when all other 'beach' vacation memories have sadly merged together, unimportant. It was a such a profound experience.

What was your funniest moment?
Our tour guide Richard, what a comedian! Such a doll
Sue

Sue and Josh

My then 14-year-old son Josh and I loved being part of the GV trip to Quito in mid-February. From a mom's perspective, I saw my son with new eyes as he interacted with the construction "crew" (GV volunteers and local helpers). And I'll never forget watching him as he worked with the young children I was working with. He helped get them ready for their naps and then came back after his building work to take the children down for afternoon snacks, holding their hands, playing little games, using his ninth-grade Spanish with them. I had moments of pride -- and discovery! I never knew my son was so considerate and gentle and it took a GV trip to show me that. Josh adds that the GV trip has given him more confidence to deal with new people and new situations. Altogether we loved our time with a terrific group of people and would highly recommend doing a service trip -- as a family.

Kay

Ecuador

My goal was to help the staff and children in whatever way they felt was needed. I am a retired early childhood special ed teacher so I took activities, songs, books etc but only used what the teachers wanted as part of their day. It was a very rewarding experience but not always easy for me as their structure is very different from an early childhood program in the US. However, the children were very loving and anxious for attention and the teachers appreciative for the help so it was a good way to learn a new culture.

The program director was wonderful, full of enthusiasm and so helpful. Any difficulties which came along were easily solved with her expert help and fluent spanish. She also knew Quito and how to see all the beautiful and interesting areas of the city. I always felt safe and did not worry about being out and about.

My only change would be to bring warmer clothes if I went in Jan. again, especially pajamas. We had some lovely days but evenings were damp and rainy. Without heat in the hotel it could be chilly. My hair dryer also served as a bed warmer!

Marie

One of my best vacations ever

I enjoyed working at the daycare with the kids...they even taught me three year old's Spanish. The other volunteers were amazing, after 5 years, I am still in touch with two of them (in fact one is coming to visit me in May). I went on the Global Volunteers trip alone but never felt lonely, everyone was amazing.

Cora

Children in Calderon, Ecuador, need you!

The two day care centers enable parents to work without worrying if their children are fed, cleaned, taught, and loved while apart from them. The tias or childcare workers are remarkable in keeping the youngsters' attention, challenging them through music, art, reading, playtime. Volunteers can help with the children, with construction projects,or teaching English to the tias.
The only problem I have ever encountered, other than getting lost in Quito which was totally my fault since I had a map, was keeping one toddler from biting...me and others.
The Global Volunteers organization strives to prepare its volunteers for their upcoming experience prior to their leaving their homes as well as provide them with in-country safe housing and travel, cultural opportunities, and language immersion. We are well-fed, comfortably housed, and become cherished workers who have made many new friends, both young and not so young, at the end of our two-week stay. Come join me in Ecuador!

Darcy

Beautiful Family Experience

I went to Calderon, Ecuador with my husband and three boys, ages 13, 10 and 8. It was our first family volunteering experience, and we loved it. The leader was so well-organized and helpful with everything that came along. The other volunteers were a varied and wonderful group and we shared lots of laughs together. The teachers and school children were definitely in need of our help, and we felt that our hard work was appreciated...but most of all, we gained a wonderful new perspective of the love and culture of the people in Calderon. This volunteer experience was sandwiched between a trip to Machu Picchu and the Galapagos, but if you ask my kids their favorite part of the trip, they all say it was volunteering in Calderon.