Travel Teacher: Cultural Exchange - The Fiji Islands

Travel Teacher’s Cultural immersion programme in Fiji is a unique way to experience the world. It offers deep insight into another culture, its languages, food, beliefs, traditions and community. It is very different to the non-stop, tick-box type of travel. In fact, it’s not about traveling, it’s about staying and actively participating in a community.

You will join a group of like-minded travellers as you stay with our host family and glimpse into daily life, engaging meaningfully with the people who call it home, you rapidly integrate into the local community. Each day will be immersive and packed with adventure travel opportunities.

This programme is for enthusiastic individuals who want to discover the real Fiji, are positive, open-minded and eager to explore.

• Join a group of like-minded travellers
  • Live like a local
  • Packed with adventure travel opportunities
  • Accessing many places that traditional tourists do not get to see
  • Develop confidence and leadership skills

Impact

Whilst our cultural immersion programme has unending benefits for those who take the plunge, this also extends to those who open their doors to you. It brings much-needed economic benefits to local communities and provides work in places where there aren’t many alternative options. In turn, this increases the morale and living conditions of local communities and can reduce some of the hardships they previously experienced.

Joe

Fiji 2017 Review

What a wonderful opportunity to embark on an amazing challenge! The ability to embrace their culture and lifestyle was eye-opening and rewarding experience. In addition, the privilege to teach pupils of whom showed respect, kindness and a willingness to learn. The rapport you will build with your selected class is astonishing and a relationship like no other. Finally, the range of expeditions on offer are impressive and guaranteed to make you very excited!

Having a shop to buy water and snacks from within the village.
Alannah

It’s what you’re looking for ..

I wanted to travel the world while making an impact to places i visited in anyway possible - therefore Travel Teacher appeared perfect for me and clearly many others. Little did i know that making a change to a place like Fiji and the Fijian people would also completely change and impact me as a person - my outlook on life and the world along with my perspective on happiness has been broadened and i find myself being fascinated with the smallest of things now that i have experienced such a wide variety of lifestyles, from teaching children who had nothing but huge smiles on their faces, crossing a river to get to our home, showering in fresh water to then visit 5* hotels, beautiful islands and huge shopping malls, i can appreciate all assets of life along with a variety of different people and cultures. This is the best, most rewarding thing i have experienced yet and I've met people i will never ever forget :)

It couldn’t. It’s a really thought out program where you get to see a high majority of Fiji as well as being able to really get involved in Fijian life, teaching and living around the local children and creating bonds with them. For me, this was exactly what I was looking for.
Holly

Fiji- Travel teacher-My experience

My time in Fiji was exactly what I expected. Full of culture, variety of foods and appreciative people. Fiji is a beautiful country which has a variety of beautiful beaches and exclusive islands which we were lucky enough to visit. Alongside this we got to explore waterfalls, caves, speedboat experiences and local shopping. Fiji itself is quite poor in some areas so whilst we got to visit the exclusivity of upmarket hotels, in contrast we really got to see how individuals valued what we had especially the school children who we taught. The children were always happy and it was great to see an impact being made within schools and across culture.

-bit more information on the cost of local things e.g food, drinks to know how much money to bring
Sarah

My Time in Fiji

Travel Teacher has been such an amazing experience which I am so glad I participated in. I have learnt so much from my time in Fiji and have loved every aspect of it, from working and building relationships with the children and experiencing the Fijian culture to going to different islands and doing many exciting activities. We had the chance to develop our own skills and the balance between learning and volunteering in the school environment and exploring the many adventures Fiji has to offer was a perfect. I have been pushed out of my comfort zone and gained in confidence and also met some great people!

Richard

Great experience in Fiji

Going to Beachcoomber island, great company, scenery, snorkelling, sun and people. Simply breathtaking and beautiful. Take a boat on sunny day to a little island in the South Pacific that is paradise, snorkel in beautiful clear blue seas surrounded by marine life and warm waters, lay and a golden sandy beach in sunny warm weather and then take a stroll around the island in 20 mins - all in all a beautiful day I will never forget

Difficult to say it was a fun packed program coupled with a great experience with the Fijian students. Very hospitable natives and beautiful surroundings. Difficult to improve!!
Aaron

BULA! My time in fiji

Well for me going to Fiji was life changing, the overall experience really gets you out of your comfort zone(in a good way) TravelTeacher is such a unique charity-you actally get to experience the life of a fijian but also expored fiji as well.

For me career and which way to go had always been a struggle, I've done plumbing and restaurant management-but it wasn't me. Thankfully I was able to go back to college and study sports (which I should of done in the first place) I loved my course and my Tutor Matt gave everyone in the class to come to Fiji, it wasn't like a 2 week holiday(ok in a way it kind of was but it was more) the Itinerey looked amazing as well as the experience. Not also are we traveling to Fiji but we will have a Teaching qualification in education and training level 3. Even though it's a stepping stone-Rome wasn't built in a day :)

One of my favourite moments was when we went to beach Comber island, it was beautiful, we also got to see some turtles and I went in the water and did 2 minutes of snorkeling(as I can't swim I had to have a life jacket) but it was really good just being in the ocean and not knowing what was underneath you. My best experience was when we had our school day, teaching is something I have a passion for as doing sports development and coaching to then hopefully become a P.E teacher. It was really something getting that teaching environment and the kids are so sweet again very different to England, not just the people but the school, everything is so basic which was nice-no technology, the community was WOW I have never seen such a string community like this.

While we were there we had our 3 hours at school(which was such a joy as teaching is something I want to do) The Villiage we stayed In Nammitukula was such a blessing, everyone was so happy to see us and to be in our company. I have never seen a community this strong before. It also gave my time to reflect on my faith abit more as there were other Christians there. But the overall experience was just WOW, we went to beachcomber Island(dream world) I can't be more thankful for this oppertunatey. Thank you to Vani and Watson(which I hope you guys see they are lovely) Also a Thank you to cheeka and his family. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, even if you don't want to do to teaching you learn so much more about yourself and the people your around(surrounding, different way of life, out of your comfort zone) It's such a good idea that both party can bennifit, it helps us as learner a and helps the teacher(support) and the community. :)

Everyone is so friendly and they all say BULA! (Mean hello) overall this experience given me a platformto stand on as we're getting a quificaton in education and training, even if you done want to do teaching, this experience gives you so much more, it gives you confidence, making use your initiative/adapt, helping you as a person to grow. The best thing is it doesn't just help us, it helps the teachers as we aid in there lessons. 10/10 highly recommended to anyone. Vanaka(means thank you)

Chanice

Travel Teacher

Honestly can't explain my time doing Travel Teacher! It was everything I expected and more, I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I got so much support from the Travel Teacher team and the other participant, everyone just feels like a big family. As cheesy as it sounds Fiji is a home away from home and it wouldn't of been without the people.
Teaching at the school was an overwhelming experience, little things we take for granted these children would love to have. They were constantly excited and raring to learn, it was an amazing learning environment to be around. This experience changed my life and I couldn't be happier that I took part in it.

I honestly couldn't think of any improvements. I just wish it didn't have to come to an end but that's nothing that can be helped.

About Travel Teacher

Empowering you to pursue life-changing experiences around the world, leaving a positive mark on the communities you visit and the environments you explore.

Travel Teacher connects volunteers, classrooms and communities through meaningful study abroad...