Aliore: Live with and teach English to a family in France!

Aliore: Live with and teach English to a family in France!

Teach English to a French family and enjoy free room and board!
Aliore places native English speakers in home-stays throughout France. Teachers typically spend 15 hours a week teaching English to their host family. These exchanges can be formal or informal depending on the preferences of the family. This is a great opportunity to be immersed in French culture, and improve your linguistic skills. Placements are usually in southern France, however, positions are available in Paris, and other areas in France. We send volunteers to France year round, inquire about a placement today!

• Travel at low cost and live like a native!
Europe » France » Montpellier
Europe » France
Project Types
French
Year Round
All the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary to organise the placement with a host family in France (placement includes accommodation and meals)
Orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
Transfer from the airport/ train station to the host family
Guidance from in country coordinator throughout your stay
multiple locations available

Depending on how long you plan to go to France, the costs vary! 4 weeks : 390 € 8 weeks : 490 € 12 weeks : 590 € Hope that helps! Here's the link for more info: http://www.aliore.org/catalogue-a.html?produit=L2
Yes if your English is perfect, then it is possible to take part to this programme and if your native language is Spanish, it is even more interesting as we have families interested in practising both languages!

Andre
Brisbane AU

Tarbes 2016!

I had the very, very best time staying with my host in Tarbes for 4 weeks in October/November. I found the most lovely, kind and generous host in Suzanne and left feeling truly fortunate to have had the time and the most authentic French experience-thankyou both Suzanne and Soizick! I found myself included in activities with family and friends and have come to adore the lifestyle and food! All-in-all it was a fabulous experience and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a cultural/language experience.

From my communication with Aliore prior to my departure I knew what to expect it in fact was beyond my expectations. These excellent programmes are a little short on reviews which is not a problem with the Aliore but rather the past participants hence my making sure I add my thoughts here!

Erika
Vaughan
York University

An Amazing Opportunity for Cultural Exchange

There's such a lovely versatility and flexibility to this program. Personally, I was lucky enough to be have the perfect placement with my host family but I understand reality happens and this can seem scary to some people. However, I assure you the risk is worth it. If you are a positive and open candidate you'll absolutely love it!

So first off, Montpellier is a wonderful city. To me, it was just big enough to be urban and fun without the typical drawbacks of a big city. The old part of Montpellier, which is also the majority of its downtown core is a pedestrian zone and its really well connected with the tram system as well as trains/busses to nearby cities like Nîmes. There are tons of parks, cafes, shops to visit and while I was there in this past spring there was an arts, music, culture or even extreme sports festival on the weekends.

As I mentioned, my placement was superb. I was living right in the downtown core, a five minutes from central station and about 40 minutes from the beach. Not only that but my host family was really genuine, kind and fair in terms of hospitality and their expectations of me as a live-in language assistant. I had a wonderful experience thanks to them as well as Soizick and Naïa who were so helpful and accessible along the way.

I had an incredible time doing this program. With cultural exchange, however, I believe you get out of it what you put in. So if you're ready, go for it! It would only take a bit of savings, some effort and a open spirit.

I obviously really enjoyed the program and the Aliore team did provide help, resources and support but sometimes I felt underprepared to teach. It's probably my inexperience as an actual teacher or perhaps the unpredictability of children. I cans suggest adding more to the archive of teaching resources and maybe promoting that they're being used. Again, a lot of this is up to the tutor and the student.

Carol
Melbourne

Live like a French family member

I saw the way one French family worked, juggling everyones wants and needs, and making room in their lives for me, taking me on outings to spots I could not reach by public transport.
I met their friends and neighbours, listened a lot and gradually gathered the courage to chat a little...even got an earful from the lady over the road who disapproves of their dogs! Maybe its best to nod and smile!
How else could I have seen an English class in a French school, helped with the primary student's swim class and gone to the rentree parents meeting!

I agree with the family mother that the weeks of return to school are not the best time to have a live in language helper...let the kids settle into their routines first.

Vrinda
India

Teach English in France

I lived with a French family in Villeneuve Les Maguelone, close to Montpellier. It was the most amazing month of my life. The family I stayed with was extremely cooperative and kind. I ended up calling my mother and telling her that I feel I have a real family in France, people who took care of me just like my parents. They used to cook separate meals for me because I'm a vegetarian, took me to the neighbouring cities over the weekends. I cooked them an Indian meal, showed them a bollywood movie and did a little bit of yoga with them. It was a language and cultural exchange program for me!

Marianne
Newcastle, Australia

conversational exchange

Wonderful program. I was fully immersed in the French way of life. The family were welcoming and showed me many places off the tourist list. I could have stayed longer if my visa allowed me. It is the best way to experience France and the people of France. I emailed the organisaton a few times regarding information and they were prompt to reply. Just a great experience.

I needed a better understanding of how the transport system worked.

Christine
United Kingdom.
University of Wales- Trinity Saint David

Very poor value and very inflexible

The owner of this company Soizick offers a very poor and inflexbile service. She charges high fees for which you get very little in return. I would recommend that you look elsewhere. A very poor experience and zero customer service.

Response from Aliore

Unfortunately your daughter refused a nice family because she wanted to speak French to all members of the family. French families are happy to share their culture and language but they welcome English tutors especially for their kids to hear some English at home, this is the deal! The parents of the family offered to your daughter were happy to speak to her only in French but she declined...

I pay attention to the quality of my families just like I pay attention to the quality of the participants so that everyone have the best experience.

Mario
Vancouver, Canada

Excellent Program

I had the time of my life while in Paris, thanks to Aliore and its director Soizick who gave me the best customer experience I have ever had. If I had any questions or needed support she was always there to assist me; first she carefully selected a host family for me and made sure I was OK all along, a big THANK YOU to her!

Since everything was well taken care of by Aliore, I didnt have to worry about anything else and just concentrate in learning French, which happened to be the main purpose of my trip. I was able to go from 30% to 70%.

I would definitely recommend this program over any similar program! Traveling, learning a new language and living abroad is such a great experience, I would recommend everyone to do this at least once in their life time.

Honestly, there's much room for improvement, I would probably recommend to create a Facebook group for participants so they can all provide support for each other while abroad.

Kaye
Australia

Teaching English in Montpellier

I stayed with a very welcoming family on the immediate outskirts of old Montpellier. I was invited to participate in all the family social activities and outings and as a result met a wide variety of interesting locals and managed to gain some insight into everyday French life. In my free time I could walk into town and took the opportunity to visit museums, attend concerts etc. My family had a very relaxed approach to the actual lessons, I had sessions with both a teenager and with an adult at very varied levels of English ability. The most challenging part of the stay is probably living in someone else's space. Establishing a good rapport with the family before arrival, we did so with via Skype, can help you to see if you will feel comfortable with them and to ascertain the nature and level of English sessions.

A better understanding of the level of English ability and greater assistance with access to good teaching resources.

Alexandra
Sydney, Aus
Macquarie University

Amazing opportunity for cultural exchange in France!

I spent an unforgettable month in the Loire Valley with a wonderful host family. They were so welcoming from the start and I was included in daily life as well as the events and parties that were happening while I was there. They introduced me to French culture as well as helping me to organise some tourist visits in my spare time. I even had the opportunity to travel to the coast with them for July 14 celebrations.

I was teaching English to a mid teen - there were ups and downs, and obviously it was difficult to motivate a teenager to study English during school holidays, but I was able to discover ways to keep it interesting by using games and popular music in English. Conversing in 'franglais' was also a great way to improve both of our respective vocabularies.

Aside from helping the family with English, I drastically improved my French comprehension and speaking (the first week is the toughest). It's incredible how much you absorb after a month of being immersed in the country. I would definitely recommend having basic French language skills before you sign up as a placement outside of a major city will mean (at least in my case) limited to no English outside of tourist sites.

The team at Aliore are professional and helpful. They did an excellent job at matching my interests and expectations to a family and were easily contactable by phone or email throughout my stay. If you're on the fence about doing this program, just go for it!

My placement was in a more rural/country area of France, so it was difficult to organise and visit the sights or go out during my free time without a car (public transport was limited).

Margaret
Melbourne, Australia
University of Melbourne

Vive Aliore

I had a wonderful experience staying with a family in Paris. I was made to feel very welcome and to feel at home and part of the family. I was only there for a week which made this relaxed openness even more amazing. I wish I had been there longer and would love to go back.
I am not a teacher and the two young girls were a bit reluctant to speak English one to one with me which was quite understandable given that they didn't know me. I worked around this by speaking with their mother in English so they heard a lot of English. Had I been there longer I think this would have helped them. Dinner around the table was a really good time for this. I also did some reading with them and some naming games.
I was able to practise my French which pleased me. It would have been more difficult for me if I had not been able to speak at least some French.
During the week days when the girls were at school and their mother at work, I had time to visit many places in Paris and get to know the local area better than if I was there as a tourist staying in a hotel.
Everything went smoothly with the arrangements made for me by Aliore which was great.

I was aware of wanting to fulfil my responsibility to help the girls with their English. Given my lack of teaching skills perhaps some more concrete suggestions about games, books etc might have helped. I was certainly given some ideas which helped and perhaps I need to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day!

Joanna
Abu Dhabi
Pace University

A ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME Unforgettable Experience!

I was lucky to get such an amazing family. We had an instant chemistry and they treated me like royalty and now we are lifelong friends. Aliore is affordable. In fact, it is the cheapest way to experience such a program. I enjoyed every moment helping a family improve their English whilst I got to improve my French and eat delectable foods. It was such a magnificent cultural exchange. You won't regret it.

Amy
Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

Wonderful way to experience true French culture!

I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to truly experience the daily routines, social customs, and typical cuisine of France. It is an unparalleled opportunity to ask questions about things you see or learn, discuss your own culture and get to know a great family. While I was in France, I attended concerts, toured Montpellier and Avignon, and went to the beach with my host family, and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

Because you become so immersed in the family's life, some people may feel lonely after a few weeks or want to meet others their own age. My family was particularly thoughtful and introduced me to another family's au pair, who was my age, and we met up when we both had free time.

Geoff
Hamilton, New Zealand
University of Waikato

An amazing experience in Montpellier

I was fortunate to be placed with a wonderful family in Montpellier during January 2014 and at all times was made to feel part of the family.
I had traveled from a New Zealand summer to the South of France to be immersed in the language and culture.
I had the opportunity to visit schools in Montpellier and to share my 'kiwi' culture with the young people and to help them with their English.
In the family I was able to work with the children and adults in the home, who were at all times keen to improve their English and get to know all about life in NZ.
For me, this was such a beneficial experience and the exchange of language and culture for all parties was so enriching.
I will certainly look to be involved in such a similar experience in the very near future.

More 'in country' support/communication whilst on the experience.

Jonathan
sydney, aus
Macquarie University

Teaching English in France

I taught English in the French Alps, which was very much an eye-opening and positive experience. My host family was fun, generous and welcoming, they treated me as one of the family and included me in family outings and day-to-day activities. I am grateful that the parents made a special attempt to introduce me to local culture (skiing, local and regional French cuisine, sights in the region etc.)

I improved my knowledge of French incredibly, mostly in terms of speaking, listening and everyday words and jargon.

The children (early to mid teens) were reluctant to sit down and study English however when speaking English with them in everyday and family life they were always eager to 'show off' and join in, strengthening their skills.

The most difficult times were when no one was home during the weekdays, usually I would travel into town or nearby areas to explore/see sights. Also I found in my area there wasn't much opportunity to meet people my age (early 20s).

Maybe the opportunity to meet others my age during the weekdays or late nights when the family was unavailable.

Shereen
Exeter, UK

A truly fulfilling experience!

I took on this program straight after completing A level French in the hope of improving my confidence in speaking before starting French at university. The team found the perfect family as the young girl I taught had the same proficiency in English as I did in French and we both helped one another with a great use of 'Franglais' when necessary!
I stayed in the beautiful Cévennes, was welcomed warmly by the family and given a room with a view of the mountains. The location was truly picturesque however spending a month in rural France is obviously an enormous change for a born-and-raised city girl and at times it was extremely quiet. I would urge those who enjoy the night-life available in the city to think carefully before committing to a month, however for those who prefer peace (or want a challenge) it is the most wonderful place to spend your time teaching!
At 18, I have only recently completed sixth form and the thought of becoming a teacher was extremely daunting. Of course, a little resistance to the lessons was to be expected of any teenager during the summer holidays and it takes a patient and determined spirit to keep searching for ways to captivate and enthuse the student with various exercises and games. I communicated only in English with my student, so as to provide continuous speaking practice, and she responded enthusiastically to the challenge, gradually improving her pronunciation and expanding her vocabulary base. When it came to teaching grammar, she was obviously not as enthusiastic and I had to search around on the internet for little quizzes to interest and involve her as much as possible.
Ultimately the experience is as worthwhile as you make it, so it is vital to have the courage to throw yourself into life in France and take on the opportunities presented to you. I found that, despite going out to be a teacher, I in fact learned so much myself and feel ready to begin French at university with greater confidence. I would absolutely recommend this trip as it truly was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and I cannot thank the Real Gap team enough for making it happen!

The links to teaching websites were not very helpful, therefore sites with useful lesson plans and activities on offer would be much appreciated.

Aliore offers unique travel experiences, customized to your interests.

We offer:

Language Workshops
Cooking Classes Abroad
Customized Workshops about global history & culture
Dance and singing classes
Arts and Crafts.
and much more!

Do what you love around the world while experiencing the local way