• Germany

Age Max
Short Term Spring Break Summer Winter Year Round
Apartment Guesthouse Host Family
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30)
Travel Type
Budget Family Older Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

Breakfast, the accommodation, Arabic or German classes, as well as some visits to different landmarks and sites. Some examples include the Arab neighborhood, refugee dorms, and public parks as well as historical sites in the city.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Accommodation Some Activities Some Meals Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Airport Transfers Travel Insurance Visa
Jan 29, 2024
Jul 12, 2024
186 travelers are looking at this program

These volunteer programs are for undergraduate and graduate students, professionals, employees of human rights organizations, retirees and anyone interested in volunteering with refugees in Germany. Volunteers in Germany will have the chance to stay with Arabic or German host families, study colloquial Arabic or German, and experience the German/Arabic culture, politics, and daily life in the city of Halle.

Volunteer with Refugees in Germany is a great opportunity for those who want to work with refugees in Germany. This program will give you the opportunity to organize and participate in activities and events for refugees in Halle, Germany. Many refugees in Germany strongly believe in the importance of education to improve their situation in Germany and better integrate themselves in German society. That is why the Excellence Center provides social, educational, and community activities for refugees in Halle. These activities are mainly for young children, youth and women

Impact

Ethical Impact

With all our Arabic courses and volunteer programs, we aim to make a long term difference for the Palestinian local community through the exchange of ideas and “walking in each other’s shoes”. Our programs and courses foster shared learning, for both our community and you. During your Arabic course, you will get to learn so much more than just the language. You will also get to learn a lot about Palestinian culture and customs and the political situation in Palestine. Additionally, you will have many opportunities while outside the classroom to practice your Arabic in a natural and authentic way while navigating your new life in Hebron. Your time with us in Hebron will also provide you with many opportunities of cultural exchange and mutual learning, both with local Palestinians as well as with our other international participants.

Program Highlights

• Meet new people including Germans, Arabs, Immigrants and internationals in Germany.
  • Engage in educational, cultural and community development activities.
  • Learn spoken German or Arabic.
  • Get to know the refugees situations in Germany.
  • Make a difference in your life as well as in others.

Popular Programs

Arabic

The Volunteer to Teach English and Study Arabic in Germany program provides you with the opportunity to volunteer with refugees, immigrants, and Germans in the city of Halle (Saale), Germany, while studying the Arabic language, and practicing it with native speakers from Syria, Sudan, and Palestine. While you volunteer you will also become familiar with the Arabic and German cultures as you live daily life in Halle.

German

Volunteer to Teach English and Study German (1-13 Weeks): If you are a fluent English speaker looking for volunteer or internship opportunities to improve your German in Germany while you teach English abroad, you are in the right place. If you are endowed with a spirit of adventure, searching for volunteer opportunities, keep reading!

Refugee

Volunteer with Refugees in Germany: This volunteer program is for undergraduate and graduate students, professionals, employees of human rights organizations, retirees and anyone interested in volunteering with refugees in Germany. Volunteers in Germany will have the chance to stay with Arabic host families, study colloquial Arabic or German, and experience the German/Arabic culture, politics, and daily life in the city of Halle, Germany.

Media

The Volunteer in Media & Journalism Program in Germany: is an opportunity to build and develop media and journalism skills. Program participants conduct video interviews, write articles describing Center activities, write articles describing stories of refugees’ lives, as well as daily life in Halle, Germany. Participants’ photography skills are utilized photographing the Center’s activities.

• 5 rating 90.18%
  • 4 rating 9.82%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Candice

Excellence Center & Volunteer Program, Halle

The Excellence Center provides a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere where volunteers can easily find students to teach and a supportive staff. Rafat does a great job of providing volunteers with many ways to be involved with the community. He also organizes so many fun opportunities to build morale and give everyone time to get to know one another. It’s easy to feel supported and at home, especially for those who haven’t traveled abroad often or at all. I would highly recommend this program for anyone who is open minded, likes or wants to travel, and enjoys helping others. The German and Arabic language lessons they provide are intensive and taught by very knowledgeable, native speakers.

Come with great ideas to share and with knowledge of the English language. There are so many ways to teach English in this kind of setting, but if you know how you can utilize materials and resources in a creative way, it’s very helpful. The center provides materials as needed but being creative with what you have at hand or can easily find makes it more fun for the learner, especially the young ones!
Pros
  • Friendly, helpful staff
  • Wonderful families and grateful students
  • Comfortable, easy going atmosphere
Cons
  • Not enough variety of English nationalities, i.e. British, Australian, South African
  • Many very young volunteers who aren’t prepared to be on their own
1 person found this review helpful.
Joel

Great experience. It will change your life in the best ways possible.

This experience was super fun and I don't regret a single moment of it. I have met so many amazing people who will be my friends for many years to come. Without this program, none of that would have happened; but it did, and I'm grateful. It's super fun teaching English and its super fun learning German in the country where the language was created. The staff here is super nice and welcoming, and there was never a moment where I felt unwelcome or out of place while at the center. It really is like one big family in many ways. 10/10 would totally go again.

My advice to future travelers on this program would be to stay heathy. This program is super fun and amazing, and the best way to experience it is to be in the best health, so my advice is to take necessary steps to stay healthy while in Germany.
Pros
  • Friends.
  • Experience.
  • Good food.
1 person found this review helpful.
Sarah

A Transformative Summer

These past two months have been nothing short of transformative. I started nearly every morning with a home-cooked Palestinian breakfast and sat with my fellow volunteers, where we talked about everything from our lives back home to our plans for the week. After breakfast, clean-up was a group effort, and playful banter filled the kitchen as the cleaning was done. The community created over the breaking of bread shares an unbreakable bond that I know each of us is the better for. A huge part of our experience is shaped by the work that we do, but equally important are the friendships and bonds we create with each other as we return to our daily lives and attempt to integrate the lessons we learned back home. I had the privilege of attending community events, tutoring people of all ages and backgrounds, and immersing students in life at the Center, along with getting an unparalleled German language education with Muaz, an incredible teacher. The entire team is incredibly dedicated and kind, truly willing to go the extra mile. This experience has undoubtedly made me a better, more open-minded person ready to tackle whatever comes next.

Really take your time to enjoy Halle! And don't be afraid to ask others to go somewhere; someone will always be up for it!!
Pros
  • Kind staff and people
  • Safe, welcoming environment
  • Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity
Madeline

Excellence Center

Throughout my six weeks at the Excellence Center, I met some of my best friends, made life-long connections and learned valuable information about myself and other cultures. Being at the Excellence Center was like being in a family and it has hands down been one of the best experiences. The staff at EC do a phenomenal job at creating a healthy environment that allows you to meet an abundance of new people, whether you stay for a week or a month. We partake in team breakfast, group dinners, and football matches (which are hands down the highlight of the week, even if you’ve never played before) which allow you to get to know your peers beyond the workspace. I can confidently say that when you join this program, you are bound to meet a group of likeminded people who are interested in you and your life story.
Although I met many new people here, I also did do a lot of learning! Throughout my time, I studied Arabic without any prior knowledge or experience. Ali was a phenomenal teacher and did a great job at making lessons interactive and specific to your learning level. Along with this, the staff does a great job at incorporating your new learned language into your everyday interactions. Although I did not study as long as others, I am for sure taking home an abundance of knowledge that I can work with when I get back home.

I would 100% recommend this program to anyone who is looking to volunteer or do an internship. You will learn so much more besides academics and you will be so much more fulfilled after your time here.
Pros
  • Great community
  • Excellent food
Cons
  • None
Niccolo

Niccolo's Review

Having spent around 5 weeks on this program, I'm confident in saying that it far exceeded my expectations in every way. Finding this as a means to complete a requirement for my university (Sciences Po Paris), I wasn't really sure what to expect besides a small language learning school and a quaint German town. I was prepared to spend most of my free time just talking with friends back home and most of my time in the center doing intensive work. Instead, what I found was an incredibly welcoming team, a fantastic social scene with people of all ages, and a thriving little city with infinitely more life than I assumed it would have.

The team, Ali, Muaz, Dušan, and of course Rafat, are all great people with whom I could talk for hours (and frankly I wish I had talked with more). If you're volunteering, the work you do is important, but you can regulate the intensiveness to whatever level you're comfortable with and the people you work with are all extremely nice. The other people I've met here, both on the program and in the local international student scene, are incredibly interesting and diverse - and I've made some lasting friendships among them. The town of Halle is great, with plenty of events and activities if you seek them out while not having the stress of a city like Berlin. I'd also like to shout out its prime location, with tons of destinations to visit on weekends only a couple hours away by the local train system.

All in all, my only complaint is that I can't stay longer. The community here is unparalleled and I hope to return to Halle in the future. Finally, I should mention that the value of the program, with housing included and constant events planned with members from the center, is well worth the price. If you're looking at this program and are on the fence, I'd say go for it. I certainly regretted nothing.

Olivier

Olivier Banyuls's experience at The Excellence Center in Europe

I am a French student in international relations and I was searching for something where I could learn German and do an internship. And I found this incredible program where I volunteered to teach English at the same time and it was a wonderful experience. The people who are in this organization are so nice and they are always asking you if you are well, etc. And it feels nice to help ambitious people seeking to learn a language like English. And the German lessons are so good and our teacher is nice.

What was your funniest moment?
The Muaz Fan Club(our German teacher) In this fan club you will achieve all the funnier moments of the program…
Pros
  • Good vibes
  • German lessons
  • Good people
Cons
  • Some are not so open-minded
Marnee

Community-driven, Meaningful impact, fun experience.

The excellence center is the physical embodiment of community. I was only there for a week, but I wish I had stayed longer. The staff is very friendly, welcoming, and helpful. I mainly worked with Ali, Muaz, and Rafat. Although I was only able to receive a few hours of Arabic, Ali was able to teach me how to greet, some basic phrases, and even took me out to learn how to order food in a restaurant setting. Muaz was a wonderful tour guide and answered all my questions about the migrant community in Halle for my research project as he is also involved in many other organizations in Halle. Rafat is the admirable leader of the excellence center as he ensures all are welcome into the center by making breakfast for everyone everyday, making schedules and accommodations, and organizing weekly community events like soccer(football) games and dinner. I am truly grateful for having had the opportunity to volunteer at the Excellence Center and making new friends!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment was playing football(soccer) for the first time. However, everyone at the center was super friendly and also new to playing football. They helped ease my nerves, made me feel part of the team, and cheered me on as I played for the first time.
Pros
  • Fostering Community
  • good learning experience
  • meaningful positive impact
Cons
  • none
Marnee

Meaningful Experience

The Excellence Center is more than an educational organization, it is the physical embodiment of community. I was only there for one week, but I wish I had stayed longer. The staff is incredibly welcoming, friendly, and helpful. I mainly worked with Rafat, Ali, and Muaz and they were more than happy to make me feel comfortable and at home. I only had a short time to learn Arabic, but Ali was able to teach me basic phrases and even took me out to teach me how to order food in a restaurant setting. Muaz was a wonderful tour guide and answered all the questions I had regarding the migrant community for my research project. Rafat exceeds as the leader of the center, as he even cooks breakfast for everyone every morning and organizes community events on Thursdays like soccer/football games and dinner. I am overall very grateful for having had the opportunity to volunteer at the Excellence Center and make new friends.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-wrecking moment was playing football as I had never played before and was still healing from a foot injury. However, everyone made me feel very welcome and safe and cheered me on as I played my first ever game of football (soccer).
Pros
  • Community
  • Learning a new language
  • making a positive impact
Cons
  • none