Coach Basketball and More in Ghana with DUNK

Coach Basketball and More in Ghana with DUNK

DUNK is primarily focused on the Nima and Jamestown communities, two of the financially poorest areas of Accra. We currently serve approximately 250 boys and girls from ages 10 to 19, providing them opportunities in basketball, after-school tutoring, community outreach, and potential scholarships.

In addition to coaching with our basketball programs, as a volunteer with DUNK, you can:

• Teach basic academic subjects and provide training on health issues or life skills topics;
• Share you interests in the arts, theater, writing, photography, or another area of your suggestion;
• Organize community outreach projects, such as “Clean Up” days; or
• Contribute to DUNK’s operations by focusing on areas such as accounting, marketing, communications, and more

The duration and timing of a volunteer stay is flexible and provides the chance to explore the many historical sites and natural splendors throughout Ghana as well as the beaches, markets, and restaurants of Accra.

Africa » Ghana » Accra
Africa » Ghana
Guesthouse
We ask that you pay a reasonable fee of $500 (per month of stay) to help cover the costs of your volunteer experience as well as support the maintenance and continued development of our programs. This fee covers:

• Pre-departure support and orientation in Ghana
• Letter of initiation for your visa
• Information on vaccines and other health matters
• Transportation to and from the airport in Accra
• Lodging in Ghana
• In-country volunteer support

Volunteers are responsible for obtaining various items prior to departure, including:

• Airline ticket
• Visa for Ghana
• Required vaccinations
• Travel and medical insurance

Aaron
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Life Changing Experience!!!

The best 6 weeks of my life. What made this project so great is the people you meet. The other coaches and volunteers make you feel at home from day one and the all the kids you coach are wonderful. Whilst I was volunteering there was two other volunteers with me, we always something to do. You learn so much whilst volunteering with DUNK, especially if you get to know the kids you are coaching on a personal level.

DUNK is a totally worthwhile organization to volunteer with. The best parts of it is getting the opportunity to work with such friendly staff in such a beautiful country and help the kids you work with develop on the basketball court and of the court.

Bas
Holland

Dreams

One of the DUNK! kids took me and my american college to his house. He lived in a very small house with his mom, grand mom and two sisters. They were all honored for having us as their guests. The boy told old that when he was young he had a dream. He dreamed that one day in his life, white people would pay him and his family a visit at their house. It was a big dream of him. When he told us, he said that he could finally fill in the heads and names of the white people he dreamed about.

I think the preparation. I had no idea what to expect. I had no idea of the materials they had. I could have brought a lot of stuff with me.

Amira
Montreal, Canada

An experience that has impacted my life forever

Working at dunk was something I could never forget about. Coaching all of those beautiful children and watching them grow week after week is so rewarding. This was my first trip ever on my own and it turned out to be fantastic thanks to my supervisors and of course the children. They created a fun and exciting atmosphere. The coaches were so welcoming when I first arrived to the court. I remember my first day like it was yesterday! After having coached I was headed home when I completely got lost in my neighbourhood and had to call my coaches to ask them where to go! It was so embarrassing, but they were so kind, they both turned back around and came to find me and walked me home !

DUNK is an organization completely aimed at helping individuals grow, both on the court and off. I'm so grateful for having been given that chance to work in such a beautiful country ! :)

The only thing I would change about this program is the number of volunteers. Get up and help :)

DUNK - Developing Unity, Nurturing Knowledge - was founded in 2011 to give children from deprived communities a sporting opportunity. It is a youth-led, community-based organization providing safe space for children, to play, socialize, grow, and learn. Through the combination of basketball coaching, after-school tutoring,