• Ghana

Program Details

Year Round
Guesthouse Host Family Hostel
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30)

Pricing

What's Included
Accommodation Airport Transfers Equipment Meals Transportation
What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare SIM cards Travel Insurance Visa
Mar 25, 2020
Jul 28, 2021

Travel to Ghana, a country with an abundance of nature, from mountains, waterfalls, and wildlife, to diverse beach coasts. In the city of Accra, visit forts and castles detailing over four centuries’ worth of history, or be sure to try the traditional kelewele, a favorite savory side dish.

You’ll join a team of like-minded participants, GVI staff, and partners to support sustainable development projects. Focuses include childhood development, education, global health awareness, and women’s empowerment, and your efforts directly contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs).

This is an opportunity to get involved in assisting with vocational training, financial planning for local livelihood initiatives, teaching English to youth, or conducting workshops on gender disparities within the community. At the same time, learn about culture, gain hands-on skills, and meet people from around the world, while traveling and exploring Accra, Ghana.

Program Highlights

• Connect with participants from around the world and actively contribute to the UN SDGs.
  • Learn about different cultures and traditions, and try a variety of local cuisines.
  • Assist with women’s empowerment, childhood development, and health awareness initiatives.
  • Become a global citizen as you better understand local and international issues around community development.
  • Explore mountain ranges, relax on beaches, and visit historical monuments that are over four centuries old.

Popular Programs

Interns teaching computer skills in Ghana

By joining this program, you are supporting community members in their chosen career focus, and contributing to the UN Sustainable Development Goal 8: Decent Work And Economic Growth, and Goal 5: Gender Equality. Focus areas include English language, business management, IT literacy, and financial planning. You will also have the opportunity to learn more about culture in Ghana, and explore the surrounding west coast of Accra.

Intern teaching a group of students in Ghana

In Accra, Ghana, on the West coast of Africa, team up with other like-minded participants to support the development of children and young adults. You will be actively contributing to the UN Sustainable Development Goal 4: Quality Education, and Goal 10: Reduced Inequalities. Activities include planning and conducting lessons, assisting local schools with their educational capacity, and supporting the improvement of educational resources and environment.

Intern leading a workshop in Ghana

Support local partners to conduct training workshops focused on global health awareness, and gender equality and disparity within the community. You will be supporting improved access to quality education, and reproductive health education for local women. This is also an opportunity to gain cross-cultural skills while contributing to the UN Sustainable Development Goal 4: Quality Education, and Goal 5: Gender Equality.

Aimee
No, I don't recommend this program

My amazing trip to Ghana

Going to Ghana I signed for the teaching programme and I am so unbelievably grateful that I did, i stayed with my class for 13 weeks and I got to watch them improve and grow and it was the most rewarding feeling I’ve ever had. I have fallen in love with everything about this place- the people , the food and the country. And on top of all that I have made some best friends for life. I enjoyed my time here so much that I am planning to come again over Christmas 😊. My perspective on life and values have changed so much.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I ate was Gizzard. Everyday in school Grandma who is the owner of the school I worked in cooked amazing meals for us everyday. On my second day there was a strange kind of meat and it was gizzard. It was chewy and very bizarre but I’m glad I gave it a chance
1 person found this review helpful.
Response from GVI

Hey Aimee, thanks for your review! I'm absolutely thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your programs so much that you're heading back! We look forward to seeing you back on base continuing to make an impact.

Clodagh

Best experience of my life

I signed up with GVI Ghana for two weeks, over two months later I am still here volunteering in this amazing country. From day one I have felt a part of this community, making relations with the local people and getting great insight to life in Ghana. I felt safe during my whole time here, especially during a pandemic. I have been part of community projects that I will remember forever, and have made friends that I will have forever. I cannot recommend GVI Ghana enough to people, it has been the greatest experience of my life.

Response from GVI

Clodagh, thanks for your review! I'm so happy to hear you had such a great experience with us. We welcome you back to base again sometime in the future. In the meantime, please do keep on spreading your GVI love!

Isabella

GVI Ghana

I went out to GVI Ghana in Spring 2021, it was by far the best thing I have ever done with my life. The base is in Kokrobite which is a town full of really welcoming people who are grateful for your time and efforts. I went out to do the Women's empowerment project, but also got really involved with the education side of it, and loved every minute. I have never experienced anything as fulfilling as the past 6 weeks of my life. I was only meant to be there for 4 weeks, but I very quickly decided this would not be enough time to spend there, especially when I had such an amazing opportunity. The connections and relationships you build up with your students (any age) and fellow volunteers is amazing, it's a bond you can't replicate. I love to be outdoors, meeting new people and trying new things, so this program was perfect for me.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing was when I started to teach in the schools: how grateful all the kids were. And even though these kids had nothing - several could barely afford food and water, but they were some of the happiest kids I've ever met. Always smiling, wanting to get involved in everything we suggested etc. It is so eye opening as many kids in Western culture may be miserable for whatever reason, e.g. not owning some item, or their parents not allowing them to do something. Yet these kids are extremely happy and they have nothing.
Response from GVI

Hey Isabella, thanks for your review! I'm thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience with us and enjoyed your time on base as much as you did. We'd love to have you back on base sometime soon!

Claudia

My 2021 trip to Ghana

Travelling has always been a massive thing for me and after my travelling got cancelled due to corona virus i was searching the net for other options. I found GVI volunteering and had a look at the different places i could visit during the pandemic. Ghana was one of the only places open at the time and i was a bit hesitant but after looking at the videos online and reading more about it i decided to book for 6 weeks (March 2021-May2021). I can say hand on my heart this was the best decision I've ever made, i even extended to 10 weeks whilst i was out there. I was working on the educational program which was so eye opening and incredible. I felt so lucky i could work so closely with the community and i was able to make such a difference over the 10 weeks. At times i did find certain situations hard to deal with but everything i did has made me grow so much as a person. Matt who is the Program Manager would always check on us and was always available to chat to if we were ever struggling or needed advice. Our weekdays were full with teaching the children and doing extra activities with them such as creative arts, boxing, dance and much more. As i have dyslexia i could straight away spot the children who also suffers with the disability. I found in Ghana the teachers were every unaware of the struggles some children may have because of dyslexia. I was able to do a presentation to spread awareness and give them tips of teaching methods which could help some of the children with learning. The weekends were our to do as we please. We were able to visit many places such as Cape Coast, Volta Region, Ada Foah, Accra and Wli waterfalls. Ghana is such a beautiful place with wonderful people and i couldn't recommend going enough. I'd give my whole experience 10/10. I cant wait to return, hopefully next year!! I also want to say thank you to Naa who did most the cooking which was all delicious.

Response from GVI

Hey Claudia, thanks for your great review! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us as much as you did. Your hard work and efforts have certainly impacted this project in a meaningful way. Please do keep on spreading your love for GVI. And obviously, we would love to see you back on base soon!

Jen

Amazing experience!

I spent 4 weeks in Kokrobite, Ghana, teaching and travelling, and it was the best 4 weeks of my life! GVIs commitment to sustainable development really stood out to me and the staff at the base are very welcoming and friendly. GVI staff were incredibly helpful pre-departure also! Volunteering in the school is challenging but also so fun. The children give you such a unique insight into Ghanaian culture and its hard to see how the experiences I had in that school can compare to anywhere else in the world! I would recommend this trip to anyone looking to make a meaningful impact as a volunteer and anyone looking for an adventure!

My only advice would be this, do not underestimate how quickly your time in Ghana will fly by! I was there for 4 weeks and it felt like 2. There is so much to do and so much to see, if you really want to make an impact then stay as long as you can!
Response from GVI

Jen, thanks for your review! I'm so happy to hear you had such a great experience with us. We welcome you back to base again sometime in the future. In the meantime, please do keep on spreading your GVI love!

Tonja

Incredible Experience

Volunteering through Global Vision International was a great experience.

Before volunteering, all my questions were answered, and the registration process was simple. I was provided information on what to do when I arrived in Ghana and met with the Director of the program I worked with, Sabre Trust.

During my time as an English Volunteer, I taught primary school students and lived with an amazing host family. Outside of volunteering, I was able to spend time with other volunteers on excursions and explored the country.

I would recommend GVI for volunteering and interning, and I look forward to my next volunteer experience through them.

I actually had an amazing experience and can't think of anything to improve.
Read my full story
Response from GVI

Hey Tonja, thanks for your review! I'm thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience with us and enjoyed your time on base as much as you did. We'd love to have you back on base sometime soon!

Rebecca

Amazing!

As one of the first volunteers on this project, it was an incredibly exciting, fun and humbling experience.
I learnt a huge amount on how projects like these are set up and run.
Getting to work so closely with the local NGO, Action for Compassion in the beautiful Elmina Castle made me feel very grateful every day. The people from the AFC and the local area were so welcoming and kind and really made us feel apart of their lives and community through teaching us the local language and going out of their way to make sure we felt at home.
Getting to work closely with AFC meant we could integrate easier into the local communities and make contact with women who we were targeting for our sewing project. Getting to know these women and learn about their lives was very special. Along with these women, the guys from AFC and the other volunteers and staff from GVI, I have made some life long friends.
The area of Elmina was very beautiful but quiet making it the perfect base with the slightly larger town of Cape Coast very close by which was nice to spend the weekends or evenings.
This experience has been very humbling, has taught me an incredible amount and really was so much fun!

Response from GVI

Hey Rebecca, thanks for your review! I'm thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience with us and enjoyed your time on base as much as you did. We'd love to have you back on base sometime soon!