• Ghana

Program Details

Year Round
Guesthouse Host Family Hostel
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30)

Pricing

What's Included
Accommodation Airport Transfers Equipment Meals Transportation
What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare SIM cards Travel Insurance Visa
Mar 25, 2020
Jun 05, 2022
7 travelers are looking at this program

Travel to Ghana, a country with an abundance of nature, from mountains, waterfalls, and wildlife, to diverse beach coasts. In the city of Accra, visit forts and castles detailing over four centuries’ worth of history, or be sure to try the traditional kelewele, a favorite savory side dish.

You’ll join a team of like-minded participants, GVI staff, and partners to support sustainable development projects. Focuses include childhood development, education, global health awareness, and women’s empowerment, and your efforts directly contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs).

This is an opportunity to get involved in assisting with vocational training, financial planning for local livelihood initiatives, teaching English to youth, or conducting workshops on gender disparities within the community. At the same time, learn about culture, gain hands-on skills, and meet people from around the world, while traveling and exploring Accra, Ghana.

Program Highlights

• Connect with participants from around the world and actively contribute to the UN SDGs.
  • Learn about different cultures and traditions, and try a variety of local cuisines.
  • Assist with women’s empowerment, childhood development, and health awareness initiatives.
  • Become a global citizen as you better understand local and international issues around community development.
  • Explore mountain ranges, relax on beaches, and visit historical monuments that are over four centuries old.

Popular Programs

Interns teaching computer skills in Ghana

By joining this program, you are supporting community members in their chosen career focus, and contributing to the UN Sustainable Development Goal 8: Decent Work And Economic Growth, and Goal 5: Gender Equality. Focus areas include English language, business management, IT literacy, and financial planning. You will also have the opportunity to learn more about culture in Ghana, and explore the surrounding west coast of Accra.

Intern teaching a group of students in Ghana

In Accra, Ghana, on the West coast of Africa, team up with other like-minded participants to support the development of children and young adults. You will be actively contributing to the UN Sustainable Development Goal 4: Quality Education, and Goal 10: Reduced Inequalities. Activities include planning and conducting lessons, assisting local schools with their educational capacity, and supporting the improvement of educational resources and environment.

Intern leading a workshop in Ghana

Support local partners to conduct training workshops focused on global health awareness, and gender equality and disparity within the community. You will be supporting improved access to quality education, and reproductive health education for local women. This is also an opportunity to gain cross-cultural skills while contributing to the UN Sustainable Development Goal 4: Quality Education, and Goal 5: Gender Equality.

Genevieve

Amazing ghana volunteering

Had an incredible time with GVI Ghana; spent one month working in local partner schools with primary aged children assisting with one to ones to support literacy and maths. Work was very rewarding, kids were very engaged and you could see their progression. Felt very well looked after, food provided was a lovely mix of Ghanaian and western. Had plenty of cultural activities including African dancing, trip to Cape coast slave castle and hiking trip to the lush Volta region. Overall an incredible experience I am eager to go back!

Pros
  • Amazing cultural experience
  • Well looked after by staff
  • Great food
Cons
  • Less safe region of the world
  • Very humid climate without air conditioning
1 person found this review helpful.
Response from GVI

Hi Genevieve,

Thank you for this lovely review.

It's so AMAZING to hear that Ghana was an incredible experience for you. Thank you for all your hard work and for contributing such great efforts to the literacy program on base. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on base soon.

teagan

Amazing experience

I had such an amazing time in Ghana. I met so many other great people who were volunteering or staff of GVI. I made friends for life with some of them. My program was so great working with kids every day and being able to watch them grow in their English, Math, Science, etc. The community Kokrobite is so welcoming and some of the nicest people I've ever met. I have no bad things to say about my trip except that leaving was very hard. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone and everyone, it was seriously one of the best experiences of my life and I will definitely be going back.

Pros
  • I met some of the best people who share similar interests
  • Helping children to continue their education
  • Enjoying the community and ocean. Surfing.
Cons
  • I got Malaria on my trip
  • It is very hot. You do get used to it
  • Leaving Ghana
Response from GVI

Hi Teagan,

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave us a review.

It is lovely to hear that you had such a meaningful experience with us in Ghana. While making great connections and contributing great efforts to the program. We hope to see you back on base soon!

Laura

Best month of my life

I couldn’t have imagined how amazing my month in Ghana could have been. Not only did it give me a different cultural experience and perspective to various issues in my women’s empowerment programme; it helped me gain more confidence in my abilities both socially and on the projects. The projects were amazing and working with the local community and the kids was so rewarding. The social aspect was also so much more than I expected. Weekends away, social nights and the freedom to explore gave me the independence I didn’t think I had and helped me make some amazing friends.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Travelling alone for the first time to a new country. Took some time to build the confidence to do this; but once I did it I now feel more at ease to do it again
Response from GVI

Hi Laura - thanks for your review!

Georgia

The best 8 weeks ever

Trying to describe my time in Ghana is one of the hardest things. I don’t think words can adequately express how incredible my 8 weeks with GVI was and the impact it has had on me, but I’m going to give it a go!
The most heart filling, sometimes challenging, but always rewarding, fun, and exciting experience I could have ever imagined, which greatly surpassed any expectations I had.
I signed up for the international development internship, and through which I helped organise the GVI Ghana Earth Day event and fundraising. This consisted of going into three local schools in Kokrobite to give a presentation on reasons for keeping the community clean in how this can be done. Following this we hosted a mass beach clean collecting 900kg of rubbish with 100 members of the Kokrobite community coming together with us to start to make the change. This then developed into the Keeping Kokrobite Beautiful (KKB) Campaign, which aims to continue and develop the beach cleaning as well as starting the KKB Action Team which is working towards finding viable solutions to the lack of waste disposal for all those in the community.
I loved the flexibility GVI Ghana offers. Although I signed up for the International Development Internship, I was able to also get involved with our partner schools. I spent everyday getting to know, learning from and being inspired by the amazing children of Divine Home.
The weekends also offer so much, being able to explore the bits of paradise in Ghana. Travelling up and down the coast with your friends, seeing some incredible places and meeting even more beautiful people.
If you travel to Ghana with GVI you will have a life changing experience in which you gain so much from the people you are surrounded by, and are driven everyday by the impact you have.
I miss this country, community and everyone in it so much, and I’m hoping to travel out next year.
If you are reading this thinking twice about signing up, do it, please. Best 8 weeks EVER!!!❤️❤️❤️

Response from GVI

Hey Georgia - thanks for your detailed review!

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us as much as you did. Your hard work and efforts have certainly impacted this project in a meaningful way. Please do keep on spreading your love for GVI. And obviously, we would love to see you back on base soon!

Killian

GVI Ghana 2021 - What an Experience

What an experience! In October of this year, I spent six weeks in Kokrobite with GVI Ghana. It was genuinely six of the best weeks of my life. Matt, Zen and all the staff on base are so welcoming. It's literally as if they are welcoming you into their family. You have everything you need on base; great food, facilities, resources for school and projects etc. It makes it so much easier to get the most out of every day. I was an international development intern, which meant I got to attend cool events like YouthConnekt Africa Summit '21 and meetings with GVI Ghana's key local partners. These meetings allowed important community stakeholders to voice their opinions and identify what the most pressing community needs were. It also helped us to draw up projects to address these needs. If I could have changed one thing about my experience, I would have liked to do more of this kind of work. Regardless of what programme you are doing, everyone gives a hand out in the local schools at one point or another. The thing is once you do it once, you want to go back every single day. The kids absolutely idolise the volunteers. It is impossible not to smile from ear to ear when you work with them. I have zero teaching experience but with the support of the other volunteers you learn pretty quickly. If you are not comfortable taking a class by yourself which I wasn't for a little while, you can do one to one learning support with kids who may need it more than others. The kids are so hungry to learn and you can see the happiness it brings them when they learn something new. The evenings and weekends also provided a great opportunity to bond with other volunteers. Between sunrises, sunsets, surf days and weekend trips you share some pretty wholesome experiences together and you will make friends for life. To anyone thinking of going to Ghana, the advice I would give is go for as long as you possibly can. I was there for six weeks and I would have stayed for six months if I could!

Don't be afraid to go alone! Go alone, be your completely authentic self. You will be best friends with everyone on base one hour of arriving. Everyone there is likeminded and no person is left out.
Response from GVI

Hey Killian - thanks for your great review!

Madison

GVI Ghana

When I decided to do an International Development Internship with GVI Ghana I thought I knew what I was getting into. I could not have predicted or imagined all of the amazing experiences I had in Kokrobite, Ghana. Not only did I have an amazing experience culturally in Ghana, I was able to connect with and meet people from all over the world. Not only was I able to enjoy myself in Ghana but I was able to be part of projects and a purpose that I truly believe and make a difference. Originally I had planned to go for 6 weeks but ended up staying for 8 only to leave wishing I had more time with GVI. Ever since I have left I have been thinking about when and where I can do another program. Truly an amazing program with adventure all the while working in an environment that will help build professional experience for my career.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
My very first day I was supposed to be just observing teaching in the class rooms to become more familiar with the students and the way classes worked. Something had happened where there was a class without a teacher and they needed me to take over. I had not taught before, nor did I have anything planned so I was a nervous wreck. it happened so fast that I did not even have time to think about it so I just did it and did my best. I ended up really enjoying being in the classroom. It really pushed me out of my comfort zone and I made the best of it.
Response from GVI

Hey Madison, thanks for your review! AMAZING NEWS to hear that you had such an unforgettable time with us at GVI! We'd love to see you come back and continue to make an impact.

Aimee
No, I don't recommend this program

My amazing trip to Ghana

Going to Ghana I signed for the teaching programme and I am so unbelievably grateful that I did, i stayed with my class for 13 weeks and I got to watch them improve and grow and it was the most rewarding feeling I’ve ever had. I have fallen in love with everything about this place- the people , the food and the country. And on top of all that I have made some best friends for life. I enjoyed my time here so much that I am planning to come again over Christmas 😊. My perspective on life and values have changed so much.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I ate was Gizzard. Everyday in school Grandma who is the owner of the school I worked in cooked amazing meals for us everyday. On my second day there was a strange kind of meat and it was gizzard. It was chewy and very bizarre but I’m glad I gave it a chance
Response from GVI

Hey Aimee, thanks for your review! I'm absolutely thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your programs so much that you're heading back! We look forward to seeing you back on base continuing to make an impact.

Clodagh

Best experience of my life

I signed up with GVI Ghana for two weeks, over two months later I am still here volunteering in this amazing country. From day one I have felt a part of this community, making relations with the local people and getting great insight to life in Ghana. I felt safe during my whole time here, especially during a pandemic. I have been part of community projects that I will remember forever, and have made friends that I will have forever. I cannot recommend GVI Ghana enough to people, it has been the greatest experience of my life.

Response from GVI

Clodagh, thanks for your review! I'm so happy to hear you had such a great experience with us. We welcome you back to base again sometime in the future. In the meantime, please do keep on spreading your GVI love!