Medical placement

Medical placement

Medical students, pre medical students and medical practitioners can take part in this program. In Ghana, medical placement is more of internship than volunteering. Volunteers have the option to chose the particular medical unit to work or can rotate from unit to unit.

Volunteers get the opportunity to participate in outreach programs organize by the hospital or the organization. Volunteers are affiliated to a particular orphanage where they go to apply first aid.

• Program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • Program runs all year long and on any day
  • Weekend tour attractions to any part of Ghana
Year Round
Accra, Brong Ahafo, Cape Coast

Caitlin

Awesome Experience

I spent 2 weeks in Ghana where I stayed with Sally and her lovely family.
During my time there, I was able to work at a Mental Rehabilitation Centre, Anwiam Clinic and Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital. The program was tailored to my experiences and interests so I was really able to get the most out of being there. The residents of the rehabilitation centre were so grateful for a new face and someone to take an interest in them and their lives, and it was so eye-opening to get an insight into the Ghanaian mental health system, an insight that only could have come from the hands-on experience enabled by this program. The nurses and other staff at Anwiam Clinic were also the kindest people I have met, eager to make me feel welcome and teach me everything I wanted to know that was in my remit of clinical capability. The time I spent at the KATH was also very valuable, as I was able to work on the emergency resus ward which was also being used as an ICU overflow facility. There, under the supervision of the deputy ward manager, I was assigned my very own patient who had been involved in a road traffic accident. I had to check vitals regularly, administer medications, change the drip when needed, empty his catheter bag and even use a suction machine to respirate sputum to ensure that he didn't choke. Every healthcare professional I came into contact with, including other volunteers, was so supportive and happy to teach me. I got so much more out of two weeks in Ghana than I could have got out of a practical work placement here in the UK, and the exposure really consolidated the fact that I want to be a nurse, so I am now heading to university in September to study adult nursing with a view to using this clinical knowledge to contribute to the health of many different patients around the world.
As a culture, people were so friendly, and it is common practice for them to share with you their food, company and language (people love it even if you just say 'medase' which is 'thankyou' in Twi). This was the case with Sally and her family; they were so hospitable and went above and beyond to ensure I was safe and happy, advising me on the best way to spend my weekends and helping me to organise an Easter celebration dinner for the residents of the rehabilitation centre.
There is so much more I could say but overall, I really had an amazing time and came back a better person than when I went, and I really do feel that my time spent in Ghana altered my perspective which has already influenced decisions in my life and will continue to do so in the future.

Fathin

Medical Attachment November 2016

It was a great and memorable experience for me. Sally was very helpful of my welfare and hospitality from the moment I sat foot in Ghana. I did the medical placement in Anwiam Clinic in Kumasi. The clinic staffs and doctors were so friendly and taught me a lot of things related to medical practice. I also had the opportunity to deliver a baby which was quite exciting for a first timer. It's ambitious to say that I hope all medical students/graduates should experience working in Africa, but really, the experience was priceless.

Visit to the needy in secluded area to help in managing the sick and the poor.

Dianne
University of California- Berkeley

Medical Placement Summer 2017

I had such a great time doing the Medical Placement at Anwiam Clinic. The hospital is more than accommodating of your skill level and I love how eager they are to not just teach about clinical practice, but also to teach about Ghanaian culture and practices. The medical placement more than exceeded my expectations, teaching me more than I thought I could learn from the experience. The people at the hospital are not afraid to challenge your learning! Furthermore, Sally has been such a great host - giving tips on travelling, cooking a variety of delicious Ghanaian food, and always ready to help when necessary! I hope to come back to Ghana someday because of all the memorable experiences I've had and my hopes of learning and experiencing more from this country and its people!

Solutions for Life Initiative Ghana is a grassroot organization, our volunteer and internship program is an initiative to help connect passionate individuals and groups who seek to make a difference in the life of people whiles discovering themselves to the very people whose lives and