Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Ghana

Projects Abroad has been placing volunteers abroad since 1992. As a volunteer in Ghana you will have the opportunity to work in a number of different capacities, including: Teaching, Care, Building, Medicine & Healthcare, Journalism, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine, Microfinance, Sports, Agriculture, and Law & Human Rights. All our volunteers work directly with local communities to have a meaningful and longterm impact.

Thank you for your interest in volunteering in Ghana with Projects Abroad! We look forward to seeing you in the field.

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Select your own start date and duration
  • Get 24/7 support from the local staff
  • Make a difference where it is needed most
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends

Ali

Projects Abroad Christmas Special

I took part in one of the projects abroad care and community Christmas programs volunteering in Ghana. It was an absolutely amazing experience. I got the chance to work at an orphanage teaching English, organizing activities, fundraising, and just spending time with the kids. I made some really good friends from around the world and got to really submerge myself in Ghanaian culture. My host family was so great and the projects abroad staff were very helpful and kind. Overall an unforgettable 2 weeks.

Shenney

Project Abroad- a trip to remember!

My trip with Projects Abroad was definitely an experience I will never forget. I decided to travel to Ghana and volunteer in the medicine field because that was the field I was interested in. When I arrived to Ghana in the Accra airport, it was definitely a whole different culture than what I am used to in America. However, I was able to settle into my placement smoothly with the help of the Projects Abroad staff. There were staff sent by Projects Abroad that took me to my placement in Cape Coast, which was 3 hours from Accra, making the journey safe. When I arrived in Cape Coast at my host family's house and warmly welcomed by my host mother, brothers, and sister. At that time, I had no idea how much of a family they would feel like to me by the end of the trip. I also knew that all the other volunteers were staying in the same house and did not know where they were even coming from at the time.
However, I have to say my 2 weeks volunteering in Ghana was an amazing experience for so many reasons. Although I came into this trip not knowing who I would be volunteering and living with, but everyday working with the other volunteers made everything seem more comfortable and smoother. I definitely would not have made such amazing friends from all over the country if I had not applied for this program. Not only did we bond through our volunteering, but also through our evenings together at home in the dining room playing games and talking to each other. Another huge factor in our evenings were my host brothers and sister, they made us feel at home and treated us like true brothers and sisters. Every night with them was definitely not boring, but filled with fun and laughter. Additionally, I learned an incredible amount about the culture and volunteering during this experience. The Projects Abroad directors and supervisors made sure that we had a very enjoyable stay in Ghana, and I am very thankful for that. I very much enjoyed volunteering in community outreaches, as well as the leprosy camps, and the Projects Abroad supervisors also played a huge role in making the work enjoyable. They were there to help guide us in our work, but also treat us as one of their friends instead of teacher, and they added joy and thrill to the trip as well.
Projects Abroad has made my first trip to Africa one of the most memorable experiences in my life, and opened my eyes to what life is like in places like Ghana. This journey has made me appreciate my lifestyle more, and it also made me want to come back to Ghana in the future.

Terence

A Summer To Remember

Hi, I am a returned projects abroad volunteer. I volunteered in Accra, Ghana at the basketball coaching placement. My experience in Ghana was one of a lifetime and I constantly reflect on my time with projects abroad. The application process was easy and informative. From the moment i arrived in Ghana to the moment I left, I always had a very good support system. I stayed with a host family that was located close to my volunteer placement (20 minute walk). My host mother made my experience so much better and she was very helpful. The fact that you can get the chance to live with a local family is outstanding. My time spent at the placement was like no other. Through my weeks volunteering, I became friends with all of the children and really enjoyed my time spent with them. The in country staff at the placement were also very nice and helpful. By volunteering with PA, I really gained a new perspective in life and it left a positive impact on my life. I enjoyed volunteering in Ghana so much that I am planning on returning. I highly recommend volunteering abroad to anyone who wants toes the world and make a difference.

I feel like the price could be less expensive, besides that, it is great.
emily

Ghana Spring Break

My name is Emily and I attended a spring break trip to Ghana, Africa with Projects Abroad. The memories I made will last a lifetime. I made so many friends from all over the United States and the world. The other volunteers and I worked in schools, orphanages, and communities for public health. We bonded while volunteering and while eating our host aunt’s (amazing) meals. The staff made the anxiety of being in a foreign country disappear, and I was very anxious. Everything was taken care of and therefore, I was able to concentrate on enjoying the country and volunteer work. Richard, the staff member we volunteered with, was like a tour guide for the country. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience.

I can't think of a single thing that could've made my experience better
Megan

Projects Abroad in Ghana--- Adventure of a Lifetime

In May of 2016, I spent 4 weeks in Ghana with Projects Abroad. My project was being a veterinary intern at La Veterinary Hospital in Accra, Ghana. Overall, my experience was a fantastic one and I wish I could’ve stayed longer.

All of the people I had the pleasure of meeting from my host family to the other volunteers to the people I worked with through Projects Abroad and the hospital were extraordinary. The people really do make all the difference in a good trip and a great one. Be sure to make the most out of the time you have with them because it goes by so quickly and before you know your time abroad will be over. The projects abroad team members are very invested in what they do and I was surprised to find how often that they check in with you and make sure everything is going okay. Not only do they help with any issues that could come up with your project or your accommodation, but they organize fun activities such as language lessons, dance lessons or even just getting the group to have a nice meal together. So not only do you get to volunteer in an incredible place and gain experience like no other but you leave having new lifelong friends and endless stories to tell. Not to mention these friends that you make are from all over the world and learning about their culture as well as the culture of the country that you are in, is a learning experience that you would never be able to have in a classroom.

My project, like I said, was a veterinary intern at La Veterinary Hospital. The veterinary technicians and veterinarians were amazing. It was definitely an eye-opening experience coming from America where we are a bit spoiled when it comes to the resources that we have available to us. Innovation is extremely vital to success in places such as Ghana whose resources are not as abundant as other wealthier places. The only thing about my particular project that was a little misleading was what animals I would be working with while there. From the website and My Project webpage, I was under the impression that I would be working with domestic pets, livestock, and visiting zoos and wildlife sanctuaries. However, while I was there it was predominately dogs, a few cats, and a few small farm animals like goats and chickens. We did make one short visit to a resort that had some wildlife and exotic animals which was extremely cool! I basically just thought we would be doing more of things like that, so it was slightly disappointing. But besides that I have no complaints! The people were great and I learned a lot about the veterinary profession from the cases I assisted with while there.

You just can’t put into words how this kind of experience impacts your life and your future. And you also can’t put a price on this kind of adventure. If you are looking to volunteer and make a difference while meeting extraordinary people along the way, I highly recommend traveling with Projects Abroad.

Aubrey

Public Health Project in Ghana

Over winter break, I participated in a 3-week public health internship in Dodowa, Ghana assisting the nurses of the Shai-Osodoku District Hospital by weighing and vaccinating children 0-24 months at child welfare clinics and administering first-aid (treating malaria, ring worm, cuts/sores, etc.) to school-aged children during school and orphanage visits. I really enjoyed this project because it was very hands-on. I really felt like I was learning a lot about public health outreach in a developing country, all the while giving back to the community that was helping me learn these lessons. The experience has motivated me to pursue a nursing degree upon college graduation.

I stayed with Mr. and Mrs. Armah and their four children. The family took very good care of me. Despite frequent community-wide power outages, the accommodations were adequate and comfortable. I also very much enjoyed meeting and spending time with fellow volunteers from across the world, and traveling independently across southern Ghana on the weekends. My favorite places were Kakum National Forest, Cape Coast Castle, and the Tafi Atome Monkey Sanctuary!

Krista

Medicine Trip in Ghana

Every time someone asks me how my trip to Ghana was I almost am left without words. There is no way to truly describe how amazing my time was there. But, I try anyway. There are so many reasons why I had such an amazing time and I know that the fact that I went through Projects Abroad was one of them. The organization helped me so much in preparation of my trip, duration of my time there, and even after expressed support with anything I could have needed. I knew from the moment I got accepted to the program I applied for that I would be supported with anything and everything I needed.
The staff was excellent in making me feel comfortable and safe during my time there. Since it was my first time traveling alone, that was crucial to me and they exceeded my expectations.
I think that the work that we did was amazing as well. I believed that the group I volunteered with really made a difference in all of the communities we went to. I learned so much not only about the Ghanaian culture, but about healthcare things that I can utilize back home. I truly don't believe that I could have found a better organization then Projects Abroad

The only thing that I would change is have the program provide us with better equipment while working. It felt as though we were working with too little sometimes.
Sidra

Christmas and New Years in Ghana

How many people can say they spent New years on the beach in Africa? Well I can. I love medicine and experiencing it in a different cultural setting was very eye opening. My work schedule ranged from orphanages to leprosy camps and the people of Ghana are the nicest people I have ever come across. Going with Project's Abroad was the best decision I have made in 2015 and I cannot wait to go back with them in the upcoming years.

Marlow

A great experience

It was a great mix of cultural immersion and getting exposure to the substantive area of my program: law and human rights. I loved my home stay family and met a lot of great volunteers. This program had a great impact on my life and inspired me to volunteer abroad again.

Oliver

Ghana Two Week Special

I recently completed the two week medical special with Projects Abroad in Ghana. I am quite comfortable saying that it was a truly memorable experience. On arrival, despite the fact that I was traveling alone, the Projects Abroad team made me feel comfortable with the chaotic Accra airport. At no point was I uncertain where to meet Projects Abroad. During my time in Ghana, I was mainly located in Cape Coast. A unique aspect of the two week special was its ability to immerse volunteers like myself in Ghanaian culture. The friendly staff played a significant role in this; not only were they helpful but I feel as if I made several friends along the way. The host family also surprised me; the living conditions were acceptable and the food was good. The members of the household were also quite friendly. Finally, the medical experience I gained during this time was valuable, I always felt as if I was learning something new. Most importantly, you get the impression you are genuinely helping people in need. I would highly recommend Projects Abroad to anyone seeking a special experience overseas.

I can think of very little to improve this program.
Lauren

Morocco

I volunteered with Projects Abroad In Morocco for one week as an alternative Spring Break trip. It was an amazing experience and I wish I could have stayed longer. My host family and program coordinators were amazing and were very sensitive to my needs and wants. I had the opportunity to experience an entirely new culture, practice a foreign language and I felt like I was helping people also. PA is well worth the higher than usual cost, and it is an experience that I look back on very fondly.

cost
Chandler

Medical Service in Ghana

I had an amazing experience working in Ghana this spring break on an alternative spring break trip. I provided medical services in a variety of communities within and around Cape Coast. Before I headed to Ghana, I had already spoken with multiple staff members on the phone who informed me of my accommodations, what to bring, and many other important trip details. Arriving in Ghana, ProjectsAbroad staff was waiting for me with a big sign and a big smile. Throughout the entire trip, they kept me informed and feeling comfortable. My homestay family was absolutely wonderful – they were very generous and kind. I stayed up late at night talking with them – we shared funny stories and just learned about each other’s lives. The other volunteers I worked with were dedicated and really cared about the work they were doing. It was nice working along with others who were as passionate about volunteering and providing medical services to the communities we served. Overall, I truly enjoyed my time in Ghana and I wish I stayed and volunteered for a longer time period. I highly recommend ProjectsAbroad to anyone interested in volunteering abroad.

I wish I had more time to do activities with my home stay family; but since I was only in Ghana for a week, I needed to spend most of my time volunteering and providing medical services to the various communities
Kylegibson

A life changing experience

Projects Abroad provided a tremendous amount of support before I left, which helped alleviate any apprehension.

The host family I was placed with absolutely made the experience! They cooked my meals, taught me about their culture, and treated me like a son.

I was on a microfinance internship, which is a new project for Projects Abroad in Ghana. We helped setup two businesses, both are set up to be financially and operationally sustainable.

Amanda

Care Project in Ghana

I always wanted to go to a country in Africa. I researched different programs and different destinations and chose to go to Ghana through Projects Abroad. I heard Ghana was a great place to start for new travelers in Africa and I couldn't agree more. Being all alone in a different country thousands of miles away from home can be terrifying but I never once felt unsafe in my host house, walking around the city, or even traveling to different areas of Ghana. The people of Ghana are very friendly and accommodating to travelers.

The program itself was great. The staff was very informative and helpful months before departure up until I arrived safely back home. They were always willing to talk and help whether it was how to obtain my Visa, how to get around the city, or even just when I was homesick and needed someone to talk to. Even though I was all alone on this journey, I never felt alone because of the wonderful staff, the host family, and the other volunteers. The people I encountered on my trip made the trip great and I will never forget them.

One concern I had about my trip was the assignment. I signed up for a Care program but found myself doing more teaching than I anticipated. When I asked to switch assignments, the staff did not hesitate and were calling up different facilities that day which was nice. They really went above and beyond to make sure that I enjoyed my placement and experience in Ghana.

I would definitely recommend Projects Abroad to anyone looking for a respectable program to volunteer!

Laura

Teaching Project in Accra, Ghana

This was my second project with Projects Abroad. They take care of everything for you; arranging the airfare from your home city, picking you up at the airport with a friendly staff member clearly marked from Projects Abroad, and they bring you to safe and welcoming host family. The first full day that you’re in your placement you are brought to store to buy a cell phone and add minutes to it so that you can contact the staff at any time day or night if you need to.

I felt very safe on this trip. You are also taken to the offices and brought to the place where you will be working on the mode of transportation (“tro-tros”) and are instructed how to get there by having a staff member do it all with you.

I had never traveled abroad by myself before so these trips were very empowering, not only in the work I did but the independence and confidence I gained in myself.

In Accra, Ghana working in the school was just heart touching; teaching underprivileged children (who quite literally come off the streets) English and math skills who hardly could communicate with you was very rewarding and eye opening when they learn something from you in that short time you have with them. The teachers at the school were very helpful and grateful for the volunteers to spend one on one time with the kids. I gained lasting friendships with volunteers that I still communicate with them often and I can’t wait to volunteer again.

I would have the tro-tros paid for, the volunteers had to pay for their own tro-tros every day when going to work. It was very cheap, but it still was a daily expense.

About Projects Abroad

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast...