Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Ghana

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Projects Abroad has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Children playing at trinity orphanage
Children playing at trinity orphanage
Nature hike
Nature hike
feeding bamboos
feeding bamboos
orphanage work
orphanage work

Projects Abroad has been placing volunteers abroad since 1992. As a volunteer in Ghana you will have the opportunity to work in a number of different capacities, including: Teaching, Care, Building, Medicine & Healthcare, Journalism, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine, Microfinance, Sports, Agriculture, and Law & Human Rights. All our volunteers work directly with local communities to have a meaningful and longterm impact.

Thank you for your interest in volunteering in Ghana with Projects Abroad! We look forward to seeing you in the field.

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Select your own start date and duration
  • Get 24/7 support from the local staff
  • Make a difference where it is needed most
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends

Start Planning Next Year's Trip of a Lifetime..

🌍 Explore the world ⭐ Add valuable skills to your resume 📅 28 weeks of travel

We'll take you to five different countries around the world, where you'll gain a whole host of experience to make your resume shine & contribute to a better world.

Discover more & Apply! - Limited spaces available.

Popular Programs

Volunteer with Children in Ghana

Gain childcare experience and help children develop their skills in Ghana.

Building Volunteer Work in Ghana

Get your hands dirty and assist with hands-on construction work while volunteering in Ghana.

Volunteer Football Coaching in Ghana

Live in West Africa and get coaching experience by helping local children improve their football skills.

Volunteer Teaching English in Ghana

Gain practical experience teaching English to children in the more rural areas of Ghana.

Trine

Fun

The company makes sure you are safe and placed into a good and sweet family and they really cares about you.
They make fun activities and help if you want to travel around with other volunteers in the weekends.

If you want to stay local and learn a culture from the inside, then you should definitely travel with Projects Abroad. Often you learn, that no matter how faraway from your home country you are, you still have a lot in common with the people in the new country.

I would recommend to travel with Projects Abroad.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
How fun it can be to travel on my own and how many good new friends I got.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hey Trine,

It was amazing to read and learn about your wonderful experience on our Veterinary Medicine project in Ghana. We hope to see you on another one of our projects; you’d be welcome back with open arms.

David

Ghana Football Coaching

I had no idea when I signed up to join Projects Abroad quite how profound an impact my time in Ghana would have on me. I started out a young, probably naive, amateur football coach. I wanted to experience something different, have some fun, and learn how football was coached in a different country. I got this and much more. I can honestly say that I met some incredible people from all around the world, made memories to last a lifetime, and developed new skills that you just can't get without going outside your comfort zone. The football was amazing, the people were fantastic, and Projects Abroad couldn't have been more helpful. The Projects Abroad staff went out of their way to make me feel safe and help me settle in. They were there every step of the way. I'd recommend it to anyone with a sense of adventure - you won't regret it!

Throw yourself into it and take every opportunity that comes your way. It's natural to be a bit apprehensive if you've never one anything like this before, but the staff are there to help and before you know it you'll be having an incredible time and won't believe what you've been able to accomplish.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hello David,
Thanks for leaving your review about our Sports project in Ghana. It’s warming to hear about your story, what an experience you’ve had – I’m sure you’ll remember it for the lifetime!

Marcello

Best experience ever

I did this experience last summer (2019) and, I think, it was the best choice I could make: to leave alone, go to another continent and help others. It wasn't easy to adapt to African culture, to their rhythms, to their ways of relating, to their food. It was hard to have no bathroom (but a mass grave), no shower (but a bucket), to live in precarious hygienic conditions; but it was a fantastic experience! I confess that I had moments of psychological failure (not because I wanted to go home, but for what my eyes saw and my ears listened). Little episodes marked my experience in Ghana.
I saw happy children for a simple hug or for a little candy.
I saw children licking a candy card to the last millimeter (and sometime eat it) ... because who knows when they can have another one again.
I saw children who, despite having only one biscuit for themselves or a small ration of food, always shared what they had with other children who had nothing.
I saw children having fun with nothing: a broken-down little car or 2 chewed crayons for hunger, but these little babies were happy because they were full of energy and creativity.
I knew an invincible host, who is fighting her breast cancer from countless years, but who, despite everything, is full of life and wants to do everything possible to ensure a future for her little 12-year-old daughter.
I met a teacher who is fighting from 26 years to welcome children up to 5 years into her school to stimulate them to learn English (so they can have the bases to go to school and study and build a better future for themselves and their own land). She, with the help of some other inexperienced teacher and some Projectsabroad volunteers, currently welcomes over 80 children: she is often tired, but she is always extremely positive and ready to do everything for her community! She hopes that those children won't be future homeless and / or drug addicts.

Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Marcello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this excellent review. Projects Abroad and the local community really appreciated your help on the Care project in Ghana. We hope to see you again soon on one of our projects or internships.

Mari

Ghana Volunteering

The most unique aspect of my volunteering experience was not only mixing with new people on the trip, but mixing with Ghanaians. Such as our host family, people in the communities and schools and specially our Supervisor Philip. He was so caring making sure we were happy at all times, he pushed us to our limits and filled the whole day with life changing activities. We still keep in contact with everyone we met there and so it’s such a memorable experience. What is also amazing is the envolvement even after you’e left. Even today I am still discussing fundraising to donate to a school we visited. It was also very good how the staff visited us at our homes regularly to make sure we were okay. It was extremely amazing how we had a great taste of their culture, playing ball games outside at night, but also showing them some of our culture and our games.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
To be careful about foods I ate. Unfortunately I went to the hospital but the Projects Abroad staff were truly amazing during this. They comforted me even when I was throwing up in a bucket.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Mari,
I'm glad to hear you had an amazing time on High School Specials, Medicine & Healthcare
project in Ghana. Thank you for the effort you put into the project. It is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a positive review. It really does help build the Projects Abroad Global Family. We hope to see you on one of our projects again!

Beth

Ghana volunteering

My experience in Ghana was the best experience I have had. Being part of a different culture and they way they do things was eye opening and has inspired me to want to go back. Working in a special needs school was the incredible, it has allowed me to realise my passion to work with special needs individuals permanently. My projects abroad manager was amazing and was there for any problems or worries I had. The staff at the school were lovely and incredibly grateful for what I did. Activities were planned by my projects abroad manger to ensure we got the most out of our stay and got a true feeling of what it is like to live in Ghana. Giving back to the community (painting a classroom) was a great experience, knowing that they children will benefit. I can’t wait to go back!

I would stay longer so that I could travel and explore Ghana more
Response from Projects Abroad

Hey Beth,
Your positive review is truly appreciated. Thank you for your commitment towards our Care project in Ghana. Great things are achieved when our global network of volunteers come together. We hope to see you volunteering again with us soon.

Micol

Medical Volunteering Program

I decided to travel to Ghana for the medical volunteering program to understand if medicine was really the degree I wanted to study. It was pleasing to know I was following the right path, which wouldn’t have been possible without this experience.

The first impression was not really good, as I arrived to the airport and found an unpleasing weather and couldn’t find the staff members who were supposed to take me to the hotel. But after this first moment, I felt very welcomed. I spent the first night in the capital (Accra) and the day after traveled to Cape Coast, where I met the other volunteers. I believe that what made my experience special, besides the wonderful activities, was my group, that was composed by a variety of nationalities. Thanks to them, I developed team work abilities, time management, and learned not only about Ghana’s culture, but also about my friends’ culture.

All the bonding was linked to the activities I did, such as community services, travels to the leprosy camp, awareness lessons about malaria and cholera in local schools and day spent at the city hospital to observe the nurse and doctors’ work. I couldn’t have done none of them without the help of our supervisor, Mohammed, that was always careful to show us the right procedures and made sure everything was fine.

The only complain I would make is about the food, which wasn’t very good, but bearable for three weeks.

I hope everyone who decides to live the same experience will find it as pleasing and amazing as I did. And I strongly recommend this program to any student who is studying, or willing to, medicine. :))

Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Micol,
Thank you for your brilliant review. It's warming to know that we are able to provide such beneficial experience for both the volunteer and the recipient community. Your hard work and effort towards the High School Specials Medicine project in Ghana is greatly appreciated. We hope to see you again on one of our projects or internships.

JENNIFER

Ghana Physiotherapy

Volunteering abroad is one of the most rewarding and fun things you can do. I spent 3 weeks in Ghana and I loved every minute of it. I have made life long friends from Ghana and other volunteers I met there. The projects are safe, fun and you will learn a lot as long as you throw yourself into the experience. I did physiotherapy and got to interact with patients under supervision. I also did some nursing at local camps that are provided free health services from Projects Abroad. There is always support from staff if you need it and the staff are very friendly and approachable. My advice would be to throw yourself into the culture and make the most of it. When it comes to going home, you really will miss it. I highly recommend Projects Abroad for volunteering.

Throw yourself into the experience. Try the local foods and do as much as you can at your project.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Jennifer,
Thank you for leaving such a nice review. We’re delighted that you had a great time while having a profound impact on the local community. We hope that you can join us again in the future on our Physiotherapy project in Ghana or perhaps a totally different project and destination – there are loads to choose from! See you soon,

Maria

The Most Memorable Experience!

The idea of volunteering abroad has always interested me at a young age.There were several organizations out there, but none of them really spoke to me until I came across Projects Abroad. I was thinking about becoming a nurse, so when I heard about the High School Specials Medicine program, it immediately sparked my interest and I started researching. There were a handful of countries that I had in mind before choosing Ghana. It took my parents a lot of convincing to send me onto this trip and I will forever be grateful to them for letting me go because it was the most memorable two weeks of my life that I will never forget.

I first arrived in Accra and was met by the airport coordinator, Nyame, who immediately greeted me when I walked out of the airport and was very welcoming and kind. He gave me my Ghanaian name, Akosua, which corresponds to the day I was born. We then waited for three other volunteers, who were from France (and on the same flight as me!) and then drove to the Pink Hostel. After a long night in the Pink Hostel, me and two other volunteers drove three hours to Cape Coast, where our project placement was.

Our three hour drive to Cape Coast was filled with bumpy roads, church music, random police barrier stops, and naps. We finally arrived at our host family house and was warmly greeted by our host mother. We also met another girl in our program, who had been there for two days prior. Our host mom showed us to our rooms, and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. We had our own toilet and shower, which became very convenient. Our host family was very large, there were always several family members around, who were always welcoming and friendly towards us. Our host family also gave us large portions, even though there were only four of us, so we never went hungry.

Our trips to various communities was the highlight of my trip. During our community outreaches we would test for blood pressure, BMI, blood grouping, hepatitis B, blood sugar and malaria. The people in the communities were always so kind towards us, even though we were the ones pricking them!
Once a week we went to the Cape Coast Teaching Hospital where we were able to choose which ward to shadow, I chose the Pediatrics. Being from Canada, I was able to experience some of the best healthcare in the world. Seeing Cape Coast Teaching Hospital was a real eye opening experience. Some of the kids admitted had malnourishment, malaria, and sickle cell anemia. To learn hear and learn about a disease is one thing, but to see it in real life is another. The nurses also helped and taught me how to do vitals, back home things like heart rate and respiratory rate were measured by a system, but in Ghana it was done manually.
We also went to a leprosy camp once a week and helped clean and bandage wounds for people. It was quite frightening to clean the wounds at first, because some of them were fairly large and shocking, but once we got used to it, and practiced a lot it came to us easily.

As the trip was coming to an end, I didn’t want to say goodbye to my new family in Ghana or the new friends I had made. We had done everything together for two weeks and spent so much time together. There is no doubt that I wouldn’t have had an experience this amazing if it weren’t for the staff there, Eric and Victor. They were always very positive, friendly, and kind towards us. They made sure we were well taken care of and treated us like family. Saying goodbye to them and my new friends was one of the most emotional and upsetting goodbyes I’ve ever had to do. The people I met during the outreaches, hospitals and leprosy camps also made my experience in Ghana more memorable. They were all very friendly and always wanted to start conversations with us. I can definitely say that my two weeks in Ghana truly changed my life and it is an experience that I will never forget. Two weeks was too short and I wish I could’ve spent more time there. I hope my story and experience will inspire you to go to Ghana because it is truly a remarkable country that I know I will visit again someday!