Unearth the World: Ghana Orphanage and School Project -- CLOSED

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Unearth the World.

Unearth the World has partnered with a growing Ghanaian school and orphanage located in Ofaakor, a rural village near Kasoa and just 90 minutes from the capital of Accra.

In this project, volunteers will work alongside local people to care for, teach, and build relationships with volunteer staff and children.

The care tasks include bathing, clothing, feeding, and playing with children. Some volunteers may even wish to help out at the school, assist the cook in preparing meals, or contribute towards building/repair projects as needed.

This nonprofit organization was created by an inspiring and entrepreneurially minded Ghanaian woman. What began as an orphanage caring for 4 children has grown into an amazing organization housing over 120 children and providing education for the village youth.

Applicants must be hardworking, open-minded, and interested in service learning. They must also have an expertise in early childhood development or social work.

Annie

Volunteer experience at Royal Seed Home

My experience volunteering at the Royal Seed Home with the help of Unearth the World was amazing. I was fully prepared arriving on site because of the work that UTW did for me. They made sure I had everything on the packing list and made sure I was mentally prepared by holding a pre-trip orientation. They had been to this home before so they were able to describe exactly what I was about to experience.

At the home, I helped bath the children and get them ready for school. In the mornings, I also helped feed the babies and look after them. Throughout the day, I would help with cooking meals and play with the children when they weren't in school. During exams, they had us administer tests and oversee the classrooms. One day, we even got to help build a new site they are working on in order to house more children. On the weekends, we'd play volleyball and soccer with the kids and read them books, which they loved. We also attended church on Sunday at the home.

I always felt safe volunteering here. The home has a separate volunteer house where they have a guard at all times. They bring you your food to eat there as well.

I wish I had planned more than a week volunteering here. It was hard to leave the children just after that short amount of time. I could see that the biggest impact I had was just the additional love and attention I could provide to the children. The children and the staff at the home were so friendly and appreciative of our help. I'd recommend this experience to anyone!

The only suggestion I would make to the staff at Royal Seed Home is to possibly have a basic agenda of the daily or weekly schedule. When I first arrived, I didn't know how long the children were in school for. We were actually there during exams so it was different. Also, some kids went off site on the weekends which I wasn't aware of. So, many children weren't around on the weekend during most of the day to play with.
Caitlin

Ghana Orphanage Review

I had the best experience volunteering abroad at a Ghana Orphanage, known as Royal Seed Home. The overwhelming hospitality by all individuals at the orphanage enabled me to feel right at home. Royal Seed Home's warm and inviting demeanour allowed me to "jump" right into volunteering. I felt welcomed to help in various areas, which included preparation of meals, bathing and feeding children, playing with them, and providing support in the classroom setting. I always felt safe at all times. When I was helping at the home, my valuables and personal belongings were kept safely locked at the volunteer home. The adults at Royal Seed always made sure I was well fed, well rested and meeting all of my volunteer goals throughout my stay. I would go back to Royal Seed Home in a heartbeat, but for a much longer stay!

If I had to change one aspect of the program, it would be to condense the "pre-trip" preparation questions and articles for the volunteer.

About Unearth the World

Unearth the World is a social enterprise devoted to planning meaningful and transformative international exchange opportunities for students, professionals, groups and families. We prioritize social impact, financial transparency, and volunteer...