As an IVHQ Community Development volunteer, you’ll be empowering local communities through a variety of initiatives. You'll have the choice of working across 14 program locations around the world, with volunteer placements in women’s education, immersion programs, food rescue, youth support, rural community development and HIV/AIDS support.
Discover below 5 of the 15 Community Development projects currently available to IVHQ volunteers. You can find the rest of the options on IVHQ's Community Development page.
- Peru: Choose from two locations and projects - the Feeding the Homeless project in Bogota or the Community Development project in Cartagena.
- Brazil: Working with local organizations in Brazil, volunteers provide assistance with day to day tasks that allow the staff to focus on big picture initiatives and development within their communities. The program is based in Rio de Janeiro.
- Marrakech: The Amazigh (Berber) community is made up of the descendants of the indigenous, pre-Arab inhabitants of North Africa. This project provides volunteers with the unique opportunity to work within an Amazigh village while helping them with their daily tasks, and providing them with new skills to help improve their daily life.
- Sri Lanka: Want to experience traditional Sri Lankan life? You can in the rural community of Hanguranketha in the Nuwara Eliya district or in the surrounding areas of Sigiriya. Volunteers assist with the long term development of communities and the education of local villagers.
- Tanzania: Many people who are known to be suffering from HIV/AIDS in Tanzania can find it difficult to gain employment and ultimately provide for their households. This project offers volunteers the opportunity to provide assistance to women living with HIV/AIDS, supporting them in becoming more self-sufficient.