Volunteer Abroad in Ghana with United Planet: 2-12 Weeks

Volunteer Abroad in Ghana with United Planet: 2-12 Weeks

Teach in a primary or secondary school tutoring in English, math, or any other subject agreed to ahead of time. Most classrooms have too many students and your assistance highly valued. If you have a special talent to share there are people who would like to learn from you: playing an instrument, singing, etc.

Africa » Ghana
Project Types
* Airport pickup and drop off
* Accommodations at oceanfront guest house with breakfast
* Performances by traditional groups
* Financial Contribution made on your behalf to schools and teachers
* Many exciting and fun opportunities to socialize with Ghanaians
* Optional: Dinner (home cooked meals) at the cultural center/guest house for 7 days: USD 70.00
* We will provide a list of restaurants in the neighborhood for those wishing to eat out-meals average 5-10 USD each
Rural Areas

Jodie
Richard Stockton College of New Jersey

Take me back to Ghana!

Prior to my departure, the United Planet (UP) staff helped me tremendously to make sure my time in Ghana would go smoothly. While in Ghana, I worked at Volta Regional Hospital where I met ( and still keep in contact with) the incredible staff. Everyone there was so welcoming, it truly felt like home. After spending 8 weeks in the Emergency Ward, it pained me so much to leave. I learned how to dress wounds, take vitals, set IV lines and so much more. As I left the hospital, saying goodbye to Auntie Mercy (my host family) was extremely tough. I experienced so much while during my stay at her house. I was fortunate enough to witness a traditional wedding and engagement. Our excursions included going to the waterfalls and monkey sanctuary. I truly can't wait to go back to Ghana! Even though I have my family in the USA, I also have a family in Ghana.

This is such a cliche but I truly don't know how this program can improve. It was life changing and I have nothing negative to say about my experience while in Ghana.

Madeline
Phoenix
Northern Arizona University

Healthcare trip to Ghana

I had an amazing time over in Ghana. The first night you will stay in Accra and be able to explore the city with the in country coordinator. From then on, you head to the location where you meet the host family and tour the hospital. I stayed with Mercy and her family and they were amazing! For volunteers, you have our own part of the compound with two rooms, each with at least four beds, and two bathrooms. The organization at the hospital was a little lacking, however if you have the personality to take control of the program, you will get the most out of it.

Response from United Planet

Madeline, thank you for your feedback! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your time in Ghana. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the suggestion to be proactive throughout the course of your program - this is a helpful recommendation for volunteers and something that is necessary when volunteering in a work environment that we may not be used to. Thanks so much for your service and we would love for you to stay involved with United Planet!

Andrew
Queens
Villanova University

United Planet Ghana Trip !

My trip to Ghana was great! My coordinator was super helpful and always very quick to reply. They got me connected to the supervisor in Ghana, who picked me up when I arrived and took me to my host family, whom I stayed with for 2 months. I volunteered at the Volta Regional Hospital and was able to witness many different procedures and treatment practices that I never would have been able to anywhere else. The people there were very friendly and welcoming even despite the fact that I was only a temporary visitor. By the end of my trip, I felt comfortable enough to stay much longer.

If the program was cheaper, it would be much more affordable for many people.

Response from United Planet

Andrew, thank you for telling us about your Quest to Ghana. We are so excited that you were able to observe some unique procedures at the hospital. Also, it is great that you felt so integrated with the local community!

Megan
Beverly, Massachusetts
Endicott College

Ghana Healthcare Quest 2 weeks

Hello!
well I'll start by saying I would HIGHLY recommend Ghana as a volunteer experience. My first recommendation is 2 weeks isn't nearly enough ( I stayed for two and was heartbroken when I left.) So the first night you are in the capital Accra, and the country coordinator will take you around and show you the city. The first thing I was grateful for was the other volunteer who went with me, if you have a friend or can coordinate with another volunteer I would highly recommend that also, it's nice just to have a companion seeing as it is a completely different continent. I never felt unsafe, or nervous which I feel is a stigma with Africa so don't worry on that. As for the hospital experience I am in the nursing field so unfortunately I can't speak of pre med. However I was in the A&E (accident and emergency) and absolutely LOVED it. If you make it known you want to help and learn everyone from doctors to student nurses will take you under. I even went around and did rounds with the doctors (and pre med students) and I am a nurse so you can see how great they are with including. You will see a lot of injuries and illness you wouldn't see otherwise so be prepared for that. As for living, I stayed with Mercy, and had my own room/bathroom, she is great and very accommodating. Riley (the other volunteer) and I researched and had a list of things we wanted to do before we left, so I would also suggest doing that. On the weekend our country coordinator took us to the waterfall and monkey sanctuary which is a once in a lifetime experience. I'll attach pictures. Everyone there wants to be your friend, and take you out. The people are amazing, and I wish I never left. Oh transportation, you can walk to the hospital, or take a cab either is super cheap, and getting from the capital to Ho the country coordinator will arrange for you. Just be prepared that you are in Africa so, it's not like taking a cab in New York. Let me know if you have any other questions! (oh p.s. 1 us dollar is 4 cedi so you won't spend alot of money) ok like I said let me know! And if you go please tell the employees in Emergency I say Hello!!!

More information about activities could have been provided, most activities I participated in were because of research I did myself.

Response from United Planet

Megan, thank you for sharing your story. We are so excited that you were able to get a good nursing experience during your volunteer Quest to Ghana. Thank you for your important feedback as well, we are always looking for ways we can improve our programs so that our volunteers have the best experiences possible.

K
Boston
University of Arizona

Volunteer Teaching in Ghana

What a wonderful opportunity it was to teach in Ghana. As a single female, I felt very safe and the in host coordinator was fabulous. He worked so hard to make sure that I felt comfortable. I stayed with a lovely host family and got to know some of the people in the community. Teaching in a primary school was a bit difficult because there was not a lot of English spoken so there were times that I was not engaged but it was a good experience overall for a short term volunteer position.

United Planet is an international non-profit organization based in Boston, MA with a mission to enhance cross-cultural understanding while addressing shared challenges to create a community beyond borders, one relationship at a time. We connect volunteers who want to make a difference with communities in