Volunteer Program in Guatemala with Friends of the Orphans

Volunteer Program in Guatemala with Friends of the Orphans

The International Volunteer Program at the Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos home in Guatemala is one of our larger programs and accepts many volunteers at a time. Hogar San Bernardo was founded on rented property in 1996 and is now home to over 300 children. The home moved in 2003 to a brand new facility, with its own school, dormitories for the children, clinic, library, computer room, office buildings and workshops.

Our goal is to create a life of dignity for orphaned and abandoned children in the countries we serve. We believe in the power of education, access to basic needs and unconditional love to reverse the cycle of poverty and produce successful members of society. Our volunteers support this mission by filling jobs that are difficult to fill otherwise and supporting our local staff. Successful volunteers have a deep desire to serve, are flexible and have an open heart and mind.
Our program offers unique friendships, life enriching cross-cultural encounters and unique work experience. Volunteers have the opportunity to share their skills and talents while serving others. Most of all, volunteers offer attention and companionship to our children.

Common Volunteer Needs:
• Social Worker
• Special Education Teacher
• Speech Language Pathologist
• Visitor Coordinator

For the most current volunteer needs, go to nph.org and click on Volunteers.

North America » Guatemala
1 Year+
Project Types
Psychology
Spanish
Volunteers must find and pay for travel to and from the project. Volunteers must also cover pre-travel medical expenses (i.e. vaccinations) and health insurance as well as any language school expenses (if needed). A $20 background check is also required once they are accepted to the program.

• No fees to volunteer!
• Free room and board.
• A monthly stipend of ~$50 to $100 USD
Casa San Andres

SFienHelfman
Washington, DC
Concordia University- Chicago

Wish I could go back.

Best year of my life - This program had a huge impact on my life, personal development, and my current work and aspirations. I made friendships with the girls and other volunteers that have lasted long after the program's end, and I've already been back to Guatemala twice to visit.

If you're someone who likes adventure, and is willing to give your all for a year - but get a lifetime of experience back in return - this is the program for you.

Carrie

If you want to volunteer abroad in a professional role, don't look anywhere else.

My one-year volunteer commitment: January 2010-January 2011

**Note: For a quick summary of this review, scroll down to the ** at the end.

Impact:
My volunteer job was to be the full-time Communications Officer. I worked in the onsite office from 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday. I created content for and managed our website, so a typical day involved writing stories, conducting interviews, taking photos, answering emails, writing newsletter content, updating the website, promoting content via social media, and more. For someone who is interested in journalism or communications as a career, it's difficult to find volunteer abroad opportunities so closely related to your interests, so this was a perfect fit for me! In addition to really enjoying my job, I also felt like I had an important impact on the organization. My articles and photos were used to fundraise throughout our international offices. On one occasion, a story I wrote about an older child inspired a donor to pay for this child's entire university fees. In another example, a story I wrote caused a child to go from zero sponsors to five in just a few short months. Bottom line: I definitely felt like I was making a tangible difference.

Support:
Friends of the Orphans has excellent support for its U.S. volunteers. Before you leave, they walk you through all the necessary paperwork steps. You receive handbooks on what to expect, as well as lots of online resources/current volunteer blogs to browse. Each leaving volunteer participates in a phone conference with a volunteer coordinator and former volunteers -- where all questions and concerns can be answered. Additionally, if you live in a city where Friends of the Orphans has an office, the office staff is another great resource. During your volunteer year, the U.S.-based Friends of the Orphans staff checks in on volunteers and makes themselves available for any needs. (In-country there will be a separate support system, headed by another volunteer coordinator.) Returning home, Friends of the Orphans also does follow-up emails and phone calls and assists each volunteer with their transition home. Bottom line: I felt supported and encouraged every step of the way!

Fun:
Onsite fun = in Guatemala, you'll be living with 20+ other volunteers and 300+ kids. From holidays to festivals to sports to downtime spent goofing off, there is never a shortage of fun. Offsite fun = the Casa San Andres home in Guatemala is conveniently located about 20 minutes from Antigua, Guatemala. The backpacking capital of Guatemala (and possibly of Central America), Antigua is THE place for food, bars, dancing, meeting tons of travelers, visiting gorgeous colonial ruins, shopping, etc. It's also the jumping off point to travel anywhere else in the country/region. Bottom line: you're expected to work harder than you ever have in this volunteer program, but there can be just as much fun if you want it!

Value:
There is NO COST to volunteer with this program. On top of that, you receive free housing, 3 free meals a day, free access to an on-site clinic, and a monthly stipend. My stipend in Guatemala (January 2010 - January 2011) was $50 US per month. That doesn't sound like much, but when my housing and food is already taken care of, $50 US gets you pretty far in cheap Guatemala. You won't save up money by the end of your volunteer year, but you can definitely break even. If you plan on spending lots of money on travel/vacation, a couple thousand bucks saved up will be MORE than enough to last your year. Bottom line: This is the most economical year-long volunteer program out there. I challenge you to find a similar program with no fee to participate.

Safety:
Onsite, conditions are very safe. The entire campus was enclosed by a fence at the far edges, and there was a 24-hour guard on duty. On onsite clinic was open 24 hours a day. I always felt extremely safe on the property. Offsite, you obviously need to use common sense when traveling alone, at night, on unknown streets. But in general, the small town near Casa San Andres was very safe and very friendly. People knew us and were always quick to help. Guatemala is quickly becoming a tourist-friendly place with better infrastructure, so it's easy and safe to get around. I personally never had any problems with safety during my year.

Overall experience:
Great professional experience. Low cost. New language learned. Tons of new friends. A new "family" in Guatemala (300+ people big). Amazing travels. Great support. Good balance of hard work and free time. I LOVED my experience volunteering with this organization, and I would highly recommend it.

**I just committed to 2 more years with this organization. I leave later this month. If that doesn't tell you how I felt about my volunteer experience, then I'm not sure what could. :)

NPH USA, formerly Friends of the Orphans, transforms the lives of abandoned and disadvantaged children with homes, healthcare and educational programs, making a positive impact in Latin America and the Caribbean.

We support the 9 homes of Nuestros Pequenos Hermanos (Spanish for Our Little Brothers