Volunteer in Haiti: Global Health Initiative

Haitian children
Haitian children
Haitian locals
Haitian locals

A primer for studying public health or medicine, this university-level program is designed to give a progressive experience: You’ll challenge your preconceptions of how public health is implemented, work to help improve access to clean water in schools, assist local doctors and health professionals in the field, and think critically about how to solve crises of health insecurity in both rural and urban communities.

Enjoy the old soul of this beautiful island nation as you play an active role in improving Haitian lives.

Program Highlight!

The ancient Inca Empire is yours to discover while making a difference in the lives of rural families on our Peru: Service in the Sacred Valley™ program.

Reese

My Experience with The Haiti Global Health Initiative

I had an amazing time traveling with GLA to participate in the Haiti Global Health Initiative. Even before we left I felt so prepared; our program coordinator had done several group skypes with me and the other families, going into detail about what to wear, how much money to bring, what to do when I land, etc.
The staff was so friendly, and all my mentors were amazing. They were young, fun and got to know every one of us over the course of the 10 days.
The adventures themselves were great. Hiking up to the Citadel was quite the workout, but almost went quickly as we were entertained by the locals who came with us on the way up. Beach day was also one of my favorite days, where my new friends and I got to relax on the soft sands and swim at one of Haiti's Caribbean beaches.
The service work I got to do in Haiti was the most rewarding part of the entire trip. Building a school beside the locals and their children was amazing. By the end of our time there we had made true friends, despite the language barrier. The pop-up clinics were also very enjoyable because again we got to interact with locals while asking about their medical history and taking their temperature, which some had never done before.
The only reason I didn't give the program a 10/10 is because the food gets a bit repetitive. The first few nights it tastes delicious, but it is the same few foods nearly every night (excluding pizza night, the last night there). There also just isn't a lot of food available, so I highly recommend bringing a lot of snacks.
Overall though, I had an incredible experience. The trip was beyond what I could ever. imagine, and if I could I would definitely go back.

Like I said before, just the food. Maybe more options, and just more in general. My shorts were a size too large by the end of the trip!

About Global Leadership Adventures (GLA)

With a history and heritage in global education, Global Leadership Adventures packs our itineraries with leadership development, volunteering and the delight of taking learning off the beaten path. Our unique program design produces what many...