Converse in English and Stay for Free at Beautiful Hotels in Hungary

Converse in English and Stay for Free at Beautiful Hotels in Hungary

Spend a week or two in a beautiful countryside venue with all expenses paid ?

Welcome to Angloville!

Angloville offers cultural exchange programmes where volunteers receive free board and lodging in beautiful countryside hotels in exchange for helping Hungarian programme attendees practise their English.

It is a chance to meet people from all over the world and build some long-lasting friendships. Please visit our site to view available venues and dates.

No participation fees.

Europe » Hungary
Project Types
Year Round
Hotel
Board and lodging in hotel included

You have to be at least 18 years of age to join Angloville Junior program and at least 23 years of age for Angloville adult program as per Angloville website.

Eugene
New York

Angloville: The Experience to Cherish

In September 2015, I joined Angloville in Hungary at Hotel Nyerges. This was my first experience in such a program. I applied to this program to have a unique experience in my humdrum life. Plus, I couldn’t say no to see Budapest and stay free of charge at a resort with a pool, thermal bath, and Jacuzzi, including free board and 3 meals a day for one week. Of course, I had to work, but, somehow, after a vigorous week, I felt rested and re-energized.

When I applied, I was concerned that the program was a scam -- too good to be true. However, I did a proper research on the program and didn’t find any negative comment or even a warning to stay away. So, I decided to apply thinking that if it was a scam, they would ask me for money at any point during the application process and even after. However, they never did. In fact, administrators of the program were friendly, positive, and professional.

Last, but not least, I was concerned that I wouldn’t be accepted. Though I earned TEFL Certificate, and my English language knowledge, I believe, is on par with most of English-born speakers, I was apprehensive due to my accent. My accent is not thick, but it stands out. Nevertheless, I was accepted into the program. As Gideon (my Skype interviewee – talk about a new experience) told me that having a different accent in the program will be beneficial to local participants since people of the world speak in English with different kinds of accents and exposing themselves to one would be a great experience. With such positive feedback, I was ready to head out to the land of people who grow wonderful wine (though a bit too sweet) and speak one of the craziest languages of this beautiful planet.

Before coming to the program, I received all of the itineraries that included step-by-step explanations about the tour of Budapest and of the program itself. Of course, one requirement was to provide a confirmation number of my in-bound flight to show my commitment to the program.

My first experience with Angloville (not counting my Skype interview) was during the Budapest tour where I met the Anglos for the first time. The tour guide, Eva Kleyer, was a good guide and provided interesting information about the history of Budapest. Yes, there was a lot of walking, but we also traveled on the local bus and metro. The tour consisted of Buda Castle, Hero Square with the local castle (where a traditional festival was taking place), and random visits such as to Jewish controversial monument, a playful fountain, and monument to Soviet regime and a statue to Ronald Regan on the same square. The tour ended with a lunch.

The program
First and foremost, I want to send positive energy and evaluation to two organizers and administrators of the program Fanni and Sebastian. They were extremely dedicated to the program. Both of them went beyond and above to make sure the program ran smoothly and was interesting, exciting, and fulfilling for all particinants. Due to their dedication, no one had to worry about administrative aspects and activities of the program.

The teaching/tutoring consisted of already pre-planned questions and idioms that we had to discuss with English-learners. Of course, we didn’t have to stick to the provided questions. Many talked about topics that either were connected to the theme of the lesson or about something else entirely. Furthermore, there were group activities, two-on-two activities, and, finally, a presentation on any topic that an English-learner would like to talk about. Anglos, for the final project, worked only as mentors. Overall, the organizers did a phenomenal job with preparations and running of the program. Pre-planned lessons were difficult to talk about but were not a hindrance. After all, when intelligent people come together, conversations become quite interesting.

Last, but not last, group activities were fun and exciting; really took people out of their comfort zone. The environment was safe, I believe, and it allowed participants to be a bit foolish that was welcomed. Two-on-two conversations were rare but more useful. One such activity was a telephone conversation. I wish we had more of such activities.

My recommendation about the activities would be to create more useful activities that are challenging but not too philosophical because some one-on-one discussions had such great conversations that 45 minutes for an activity wasn’t enough. A lesson is as good as the activity that ends on time.

As for Hotel Nyerges, I would say that the place was great. It was homey. The air was fresh (considering I came from NYC) with lots of animals. Plus, there was a Jacuzzi, a thermal bath, a pool, and great menu (did I mention this before?). However, the place lacks an air-conditioner in the rooms or even a good fan.

In the conclusion, I would highly recommend for any English-speaking individual (who has a good knowledge of it and either was born in an English-speaking country or has a mild accent, like I do) and those want to improve English to jump into this program head first. It would be a new experience and meeting new people of different backgrounds and experiences is always a great idea. You will work hard, but you will relax and won’t feel too stressed out (imagine having an activity in a Jacuzzi). This was definitely a different kind of vacation that I would do again.

Autumn
Hungary!
San Jose State University

Loved volunteering with Angloville!

I participated in two of these programs and enjoyed both immensely. I would not say it is easy but it is very rewarding and memorable. It is rewarding and inspiring to help the participants with their language skills and confidence with the English language. It is memorable to form friendships with people you would probably otherwise never meet and get to really know what a country and it's people are like.

More group activities. It sounds silly but even things like going to the grocery store or going out to dinner together and having participants explain things to native speakers can be very fun and educational

Reginald
In London, UK

Inspiratonal!

As a retired person, the fact that I can still find an opportunity of little cost and interact and enjoy the experience of conversing with not only foreign speakers, but English speaking people from around the world, is a fantastic adventure.
I found the experience inspirational and Im still learning. Learning about another culture, another language and meeting people who may become friends in the future.

More leisure time with the participants.

Dave
Philadelphia
University of Minnesota

Angloville June 2015 Budapest

The June 2015 program in Hungary was a rewarding experience for me and for the Hungarians, based on their comments.
This was going to be my last English immersion participation, but I left Hungary very positive and excited to do it again.
The Hungarian people are genuine, warm, and eager to learn. The group was very eclectic representing all ages and backgrounds. It was a wonderful introduction to the Hungarian culture. The food and wine is delicious.

Prague, Czech Republic
University of Melbourne

Great fun but not a 5 star resort holiday!

I participated in the Angloville program held at Aracy Kocsag Hotel in Fule, Hungary from 10th -15th May 2015.

As numerous websites will tell you, the Angloville program provides native English speakers with an opportunity to meet people from Eastern Europe (Hungary in this case), as well as other native speakers. In return for providing our language and conversation skills, we (the native speakers) are provided with “free accommodation and food for six action-packed days.”

Angloville advertises this venue as offering “elegance and comfort away from the noise of the world in an authentic rural environment… surrounded by picturesque and calm countryside stretching for miles.” And it truly is a beautiful location.

The day before the start of the program some of the members of our native speakers' group met each other for the first time in Budapest, and were taken on a four-hour guided tour of the city, followed by a restaurant lunch.

The following day, a bus arrived to take us to the venue, which is located approximately 90 kms from Budapest, near Lake Balaton.
Upon our arrival at the hotel, we were introduced to the 9 Hungarian participants, the 2 program coordinators and to the remaining native speakers (bringing the number of natives speakers to 8). There are usually an equal number of native speakers and participants, however two participants had elected to do a ‘tandem’ program making the ration slightly uneven.

The program did indeed provide an invaluable way to learn more about a country with which I wasn’t familiar, and to go beyond the usual tourists’ impressions of Hungary. During my week there, I met some amazing people and forged some life-long friendships.

Although the program was fairly intense (5 hours of conversation sessions each day, not including social activities and conversation over meals – breakfast, lunch and dinner) the time flew.

The accommodation at our venue was fairly basic – we were provided with very small, shared bedrooms and one bathroom to share between 4 people (not en-suite as advertised). Meals were another area which was somewhat disappointing due to the fact that there were so few fresh fruit and vegetables available. Nevertheless for anyone used to backpacking and sleeping in hostels, these things would not cause any real hardships.

I would also like to add one final word of warning about the idea that the program would provide us with time to go hiking, walking and swimming: “A typical 6 day programme is spent in a stimulating environment with Hungarian people in a series of one-on-one discussions, group activities, negotiations, hiking, walking, swimming, meals (with both Hungarian and English speakers), entertainment, and social time.” Unfortunately, our days were so heavily packed that this left very little time for any personal time to enjoy the beautiful countryside.

I would greatly urge anyone thinking of joining this program expecting a holiday, to think again. As an ESL teacher, I have never worked so hard in any teaching job in my life – upwards of 6-7 hours a day! Despite the challenges, I truly did enjoy the week. I haven’t laughed so much nor had so much fun for a long time. The Hungarians were the loveliest group of people you could ever hope to meet and I am very grateful to this program for having provided me with this opportunity.

Overall, if I were asked if I would recommend the program, the answer would have to be “absolutely, but…” It does provide a wonderful opportunity to connect with people from different cultures and to experience a different aspect of life in another country. Nevertheless, it would be good to be fully aware before signing up, that this is not an all- expenses-paid holiday in the country, as one may be led to believe. The work is intense, the accommodation and food are basic, and there really isn’t enough personal time to take advantage of the facilities which are advertised on the website. For these reasons alone, I would hesitate to recommend the program to anyone.

Angloville is one of the biggest providers of free educational volunteering / cultural exchanges in Europe (www.angloville.com/home). We offer ESL-related volunteering experience during which students can discover 7 European countries for free, having their board and lodging in beautiful countryside hotels covered, while helping young