GVI: Volunteer in India

GVI: Volunteer in India

We are proud to launch our new GVI Business Internships Abroad!
Business Internships Abroad are a great way to apply your business management and leadership skills and explore the world while experiencing new cultures and contributing to a sustainable cause and kickstarting your own career!

GVI’s Business Internships are the perfect opportunity to gain valuable, hands-on experience, especially if you are a student majoring in:
- business management,
- human resources,
- accountancy,
- marketing or
- international relations students

Business Interns can look forward to using their theoretical training skills to work in a local community with developing entrepreneurs, assisting them with developing their microenterprise businesses by:
- running hands-on, educational workshops on microenterprise business skills,
- conducting business training initiatives and
- mentoring and guiding small business owners

To apply or find out more about the value of the internships, follow the link below.

India is a rapidly developing country, filled with a rich culture, traditions and beautiful landscapes. There are major community development issues and a huge gap between the rich and poor. You can make a sustainable long-term difference through a variety of different project focuses in India.

Top Volunteer Projects in India:

• Women's Empowerment Project in India: Contribute to sustainable, long-term women’s empowerment initiatives when you travel to Kerala, India. Help give women and young girls access to equal education, health care and income opportunities.
  • Volunteer with Children in India: Discover the colorful culture of India when you volunteer alongside local teachers supporting disadvantaged children. Your work will support a local care center as well as low income families by assisting with their educational needs.
  • Volunteer on Construction Projects in India: Volunteer on construction projects in local slums in India. Assist on projects addressing basic needs such as building eco-toilets, home repairs, or renovating schools and playgrounds to make them suitable learning environments.
  • Childcare Expedition in South Asia: Discover Asia when you travel to Nepal, India and Laos on a world wind volunteer experience! Contribute to valuable childcare initiatives and help provide much needed educational and early development support to the underprivileged children of these regions.
  • Volunteer Healthcare Project in India: Provide support for special needs children, lead sessions, games or sport activities alongside specialist teachers. Assist with the children's physical and education development and take part in therapeutic activities with the local residents of the relief settlement.
Asia » India

Kiri
New Zealand
University of Waikato

11/10 recommendation!

My time in Kerala, India with GVI was absolutely amazing! I recommend it for anyone who wants to meet a wide range of people from different backgrounds and cultures. I can now say I have best friends all around the world!
During that first weekend we became like a little family which made the whole experience so much more fun as we had people to share the adventure with. In the house there were a wide range of ages which was lovely as there was always someone older for us students to ask advice from... in exchange for technology lessons!
My typical day in the GVI house would involve doing a few chores around the house, lesson planning, going out to projects and then hanging out with the other volunteers and staff in the evening.
My favourite part of the day was always going out to projects. As part of the Women's Empowerment team I got to work with women and girls from four years old up to mothers and grandmothers. The staff really took advantage of everyone's individual skills and allowed us to work on projects that we would have the biggest impact in.
I liked the weekly schedule of working Monday-Friday lunchtime and then having the weekends to explore Kerala which is a truely beautiful state. I took amazing trips with the other volunteers around the backwaters and to the Munnar tea planation. There was also a beautiful beach and market about a 5 minute walk from the GVI house where we could go in the evenings or before we started work for the day.
Volunteering in India with GVI was honestly the best thing I've ever done. I became so much more confident and have absolutely fallen in love with the culture in Kerala. I can't wait to go back later this year!

James
Barnt Green, Worcestershire

Special memories and good, challenging work.

I'd rate my first GVI program in Kerala, India as 5 stars . This was back in 2012, and was an education project which I was part of for three months. It was an excellent 'gap year' experience, India is a wonderful country and culture and the volunteer work was a brilliant learning experience which I owe so much too. The staff were extremely helpful and the base was very safe and I have a lot of very special memories there.

A little more volunteer support, I felt at times a little thrown into the deep end. This might be due to my age at the time and the incredible heat meant that I did struggle a couple of times during the project.

Mayuree
Pretoria, South Africa

GVI Kerala Teaching Programme

IN 2011 December I spent a month in Kerala, India with GVI on their teaching program. It was my first time volunteering.From the onset the support I received from everyone in the organisation was awesome.
The experience was fulfilling and so humbling that I went on to volunteer with them for the next 2 years - and will continue to do so. Highlights include watching elephant parades, seeing the difference that being able to assist those lesser privileged makes in their lives, celebrating Christmas's and New Years with new friends in different parts of the world ... A truly life changing experience

Thao
Melbourne, Australia
Deakin University

GVI Kerala - the best volunteering program you will come across

To echo the previous review and to put this very simply, I similarly had the time of my life on this volunteering program.

From the get go, everything about GVI and this program excited me. The thought of having to adapt to an entirely different culture, living in a house with a possible 11 more people, having the opportunity to teach Indian children and being able to experience Indian culture seemed like the perfect mix – and it was.

We worked almost 46 hour weeks – all of those hours being hard work but extremely, extremely rewarding. I was able to become very close to my group of 7 kids and to this day, almost 3 months later, I miss them dearly. There are so many positive aspects to this program but it is being fortunate enough to get to know the children that makes this program incredible.

On top of this, I was able to develop life-long friendships with a group of volunteers from all over the world. It is comforting to know that I have made such substantial friendships throughout this program and something I will cherish for many years to come.

I fell in love with Indian culture and Fort Kochi – where the GVI house was based, in ways that I cannot explain. Despite working 5 days a week, our weeknights were spent at cafes eating cakes and drinking tea, at local restaurants experiencing the delicious local Kerala food, while our weekends were spent taking trips to places such as Munnar (eating delicious homemade chocolate), Varkala (soaking up the sun and swimming in the Arabian sea), Periyar (going on adventurous Jeep safaris and treks) and many more.

If you’ve read this entire review to get an idea on whether or not to join this program, I urge you not to hesitate. The experience I had was so much more than I could put into words. You will spend an amazing amount of time with the adorable children who will undoubtedly change your life, the warm and welcoming locals, and with Ridhi and Ross – the very best and program manager and coordinator you will ever come across.

Desiree
Pamplona, Spain
Universidad Pública de Navarra

Volunteering in South Kerala, India with GVI

If Aladdin's genie magically appeared right now and gave me 3 wishes those would definitively be: 1. Go back in time to July 1st, South Kerala, India. 2. A family for the Manipur kids we tough. 3. One more month in this program.

Working with GVI in this program changed my life. I have to admit I thought it was not going to be hard for me to adapt to the country considering that I was born and raised in a 3rd world country. But it wasn't easy at all. My first week on the program was driving me mad; I was scared of messing up and I was not confident on what I was doing considering that I had never taught or even worked with children before. But I had the wonderful support of the coordinators Ridhi and Ross all the time. They gave me strength all throughout the program. After the first week, teaching came out naturally, I easily learned the name of my kids and I was starting to have the best time of my life. I got really close to my kids, its like if they became part of my family and I have to admit I still shed some tears when I go through pictures and recall memories.

This program helped me see things different. The social scene is obviously an impact, but despite the poverty in India, people will always smile at you while walking on the streets of Fort Kochi. It is a whole new culture but I loved it. The living conditions where simple but comfortable. It was hard to live with 11 other people in the same house. We all had shores to do every day and we had to be responsible for the house cleaning. I remember the early rush in the morning, 12 people in a small kitchen trying to make their breakfast. This simple things made me grow as a person. It made me learn how to work in groups and how to get out of my "comfort zone".

I have to admit that GVI did a great job with all their information on the program before I got there but they forgot to tell me something crucial: "you will have the time of your life".

Yes, this program changed me. How? In words I can't explained. I was completely happy for a whole month. I met the most wonderful people on this trip. The children I taught became "my kids" and my housemates became my friends. I became so close to these two groups of people that I can call them family and this program wouldn't have been the same without them.

Working on this program made me grow and mature as a person and it made a difference on me as well as I made a difference on this world. I could see that on my last day, when Songayao gave me a big hug and didn't let go for a while and when Rominao and Tamchimla started shedding tears as we said goodbye.

I enjoyed volunteering abroad and I would definitively do it again. I recommend this program and GVI to others and I am sure they will have a wonderful experience as well.

GVI is an award-winning organisation that tackles critical local and global issues by operating education and training programs on sustainable development projects around the world.

Formed in 1997, we have been operating our award-winning programmes for over two decades and over 25,000 participants have volunteered