Plan My Gap Year - Volunteer in India from $330

Plan My Gap Year - Volunteer in India from $330

PMGY offers 2-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in India’s captivating capital city of Delhi. Volunteers get involved in a wide-range of project work including English teaching, orphanage care, medical electives, women empowerment initiatives and working with special needs children.

Our programs in Delhi run throughout the year. We have two start dates every month so you decide when you go and how long you go for.

Asia » India » Delhi
- 24/7 in-country support
- In-country orientation course
- Volunteer Handbook
- Full Financial Protection
- And of course PMGY’s round the clock UK support service – It’s what we’re famous for!

Sarah
England
The Arts University College at Bournemouth

Unforgettable experience

I spent two weeks in India and had the best time of my life. The whole experience from beginning to end was something I will never forget. It was VERY hot whilst I was there but although in the beginning it felt unbearable i quickly got used to it and missed it as soon as i got home.

The program is well organised and motivated by care and with great understanding.

I would highly recommend this program to anyone wishing to visit india and experience the culture.

Sarah x

Aseel

September 2017

This Month was not a regular month at all to me, it started full of inthusiasm for the trip to India and become a bit harder when i had to face the loss of my beloved Grandmother on my 4th day of the program in India. and found no optio for support from the PMGY organization Unfortunately!
i staid for two weeks in the house with Vishy and his wonderful family, i volunteered in the medical program. as a 4th year medical student this experience was very enriching to me due to the fact that i was able to explore a totaly different medical system and therapy methods.
The experience in the slum clinics, dispensary, medical camp and differet clinics has tought me many meaningful lessons and will accompany me through all my years in the medical feild.
other than that, i had real good time spent with my fellow volunteers in the orphanages with the amazing kids staying there. and had enough time on the weekends to travel thanks to the help of Vishy, i cannot find the words to describe this person ! inlimited kindness and a huge heart whom is willing to help in everything needed, my visit would have been much harder without Vishys help.

-Better orientation and welcoming, my first night was a total shock to me as i arrived really late at night to the volunteers house.
-Add a PMGY sign to the volunteers house to ease the first shock when arriving.
- Make a weekly Schedule for the volunteers so that each group will know the plans for the next days in the project
- Medical project should be for volunteers with a previous medical experience and not for everyone (this will make the work more efficient, most of the days youll find 3-4 people sitting in the same clinic and theres not much to do)
- choose procedures and surgeries only with doctors who are interested in volunteers accompany and giving explanations in order to make it a valuable lesson.

Annabel
Preston

Best month ever

I spent just under a month in Faridabad with Vishy and his family and couldn't have asked for a better experience. They were amazing and helped us out with anything we needed (including booking all our weekend trips) and made us all feel completely safe! The accommodation in Faridabad was lovely and clean and there was different foods to try every day! You're only an hour away from Delhi on the metro, making it easy to spend evenings out if you wanted to! The support team in the UK were amazing, too, and answered any questions I had really quickly! I did the women empowerment programme which I loved and all the women there were so welcoming!! I'd recommend the programme to anyone!

The only advice I'd give to future volunteers is just to keep an open mind; India can be a little overwhelming at times (the heat, how busy it is etc) but it's the most amazing place I've visited!

Can't recommend PMGY and the projects in India enough!

Ellen
Devon, England

Women's Empowerment Project

I spent three weeks volunteering with the Women's Empowerment Project in Faridabad and it was spectactular.
The coordinator Vishy was fantastic at making sure you felt comfortable, helping organise weekends trips, changing your money. He knew everything and was always willing to help, just swing him a WhatsApp!
Going to the slum school everyday was also a great learning curve. I spent time with the sewing business set up by Vishy wife, Kranti.
Unfortunately the women's empowerment project itself wasn't quite what I was expecting. It was only three afternoons a week and was predominantly teaching English to the few girls that turned up. However, in my last week we changed the Project around so volunteers would visit the girls polytechnics school- much better!
I definitely wouldn't go for any less than three weeks if you want the true, Indian experience. Definitely worth it, go whilst you can.

The women's empowerment project was changed and developed at the end of my stay so should be much improved. Continue to make sure that other projects aren't left behind. The medical project was so busy that although Vishy tried his hardest, it meant that those doing the other projects didn't have nearly as much set up.

Alice
Canterbury
Coventry University

Can't recommend this enough!

Had the best time in India for 6 weeks! I felt really helpful within the teaching programme, and loved joining in with the woman's empowerment when I could! Vishy is one of the nicest people ever and so incredibly helpful booking so many of our trips for us. Anything you need he can help you out. The only thing I noticed is that the medical programme came become a little crowded at peak times, but as Vishy is opening up new clinics I think this problem will soon be resolved. Prepare yourselves for a massively rewarding and 100% authentic Indian experience! Best time ever.

faiza
london
University of Greenwich

pmgy india

Volunteered in india for 2 weeks. Was one of the best life time experiences and would love to do it again. Worked as a clinical volunteer which also included work in the orphanage and the slum school. Visited many hospitals and also had the chance to watch surgeries and assist in providing health check ups for the public. Also had the chance to visit many beautiful attractions such as the taj mahal and other beautiful places in Delhi and jaipur. This experience had a positive impact on my life as I got to learn so much about the different cultures and beliefs and this experience helped me get a hospital placement in london.☺

Enjoyed the programme so much. Can't think of any improvements

Erin
england
Queen Mary- University of London

Faridabad!

Had a wonderful 2 and a half months this year in Faridabad. Vishy and his family were so accommodating and willing to help with anything whilst the projects themselves were interesting and enjoyable.
Weekends were completely flexible also meaning it was easy to travel around if you wished.

The only issue I may have raised would be it can be overcrowded within certain projects at times but Vishy tried his ultimate best to make sure this didn't become an issue.

Nao
Japan

Challenge

I had a wonderful and precious time in Faridabad. It was the opportunity to know the culture and the environment in India.

I am a nursing student in Japan. I was studying English during this year in Sydney because I want to work in developing countries as a nurse in the future and I need to improve my English skills. The purpose of this volunteer was to know how the area where the project has conducted is, to know whether I can adapt such an environment and to apply to my English skills.

One of the most surprising aspects in India was the low level of hygiene. Although I searched the environment in India before I came, it was more terrible than I expected. In particularly, I realised that the situation in a hospital was not good even though I knew this is because of the lack of money. On the other hand, in a slum school, children wash their hands before the lunch time. I was admired this custom.

In terms of the communication between participants, which is one of my goals, it was hard for me to have a good relationship with them. At the beginning of the project, I tended to stay in a room after the project because I felt a bit nervous and I couldn't understand their conversation. But they were very kind and attractive girls so I could gradually get along with them. Indeed, I miss them now.

As a result, I could get great experience through this volunteer. I really appreciate Vishav and his family to organise everything for the project. In addition, I met a lot of people in Faridabad and wonderful members. I will not definitely forget this experience and I would like to visit India again.

Katy
Chichester

5 weeks in India

I stayed in India for 5 weeks and was able to travel around India including Mumbai, Varanasi, Dharmsala and Rishikesh, as well as making the most of my time volunteering in Delhi. I was able to see all of the main attractions in Delhi during the week as the metro system is great. We also had a few good nights out in Delhi.
The family we stayed with were very helpful and generous and I received support before and during my trip. I would definitely recommend it as a first travelling experience.

Aaran
England

Faridibad 2016

I went to India with PMGY few weeks ago and it was one of the best experiences I have done. The accommodation and the people there was great and I hope to go abroad with PMGY again over the coming years. I would thoroughly recommend any thinking of going abroad to do it with PMGY, not only can enjoy the travels of your destination but have the satisfaction of helping others as well.

I had the best time ever in India, and I would do it all over again. Hopefully I will do many other trips with PlanMyGapYear.

Anthony
Newcastle
Newcastle University

Faridabad 2016

I spent 4 weeks teaching in India with PMGY. Before I left the support and guidance I received from Josh was very good. He was very swift with his responses to any questions, queries or worries I had. When I arrived the country was nothing what I expected as it is totally different to the UK but the accommodation was very good (a lot better than what I was expecting). The food in the accommodation was also good- a lot of Indian food though but still very good. The project was amazing. I really felt I was making a difference when I was with the children and the kids were so welcoming and so willing to learn. The whole project is also incredibly flexible so if you wanted to do teaching with different age groups then that was organised for you or if you wanted to do some work with the women's empowerment then you could do that. The project works with you and it is so easy to change to make you happy so that you can make a real difference. There was also enough free time for me to explore such an amazing country and I would definitely recommend the golden triangle trip- seeing the Taj Mahal is definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity and Jaipur is a beautiful trip. The trip is very well organised and gives you the opportunity to see parts of the cities with your guides which you wouldn't get if you decided to just go by yourself.
Thanks PMGY for an amazing trip

Katie
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Faridabad!

I spent 3 weeks in Faridabad in India doing the medical volunteer programme. From booking the trip, I had support whenever I needed it and exchanged lots of emails with pmgy coordinators and staff. Vishy and his family at the volunteer house were lovely and Vishy knows everyone so can arrange pretty much anything you want to do! The programme itself was great and even though I had no previous medical experience before I went out, I got to try loads of different practical things and learn lots at the same time, I'd definitely recommend this programme to young people like me looking to get some experience before going off to uni. For me, 3 weeks wasn't enough but the time I had was the best experience of my life and I would definitely go through plan my gap year again.

Alex
Henley on Thames

Cultural immersion like no other

Spending four weeks with PMGY in India felt more like a lifetime on another planet. We spent a month divided between the Delhi and the Kerala regions, volunteering for a week in orphanages in each location. It was evident that we made an impression on the children and brightened up their every day, but we were also able to make a lasting impact on the school - helping to paint and refurbish. After a week of volunteering, we spent 7 days travelling around the region, seeing the Taj Mahal, Jaipur's Red Fort and the mountains of Kerela amongst other beautiful sights.

Being in a culture so different to our own and removed from the comfortable security of home was a cultural shock; but I am very grateful to the hosts at PMGY for giving us such raw exposure to India at both the most decadent and dire extremes. We were supported all the way by staff who grew up and lived around the accommodation, so I can recommend this to both experienced and first time travellers alike!

James
Harrogate, North Yorkshire

PlanMyGapYear Experience

I have just arrived back in England after having an amazing 4 weeks in India, on the medical programme. Seeing the differences in healthcare compared to my own country was a real eye opener for me. Also, I could not have asked for better hosts whilst I was there; Vishy and Karanti and all their staff were so welcoming to all the volunteers, and it really made me feel like I was at home during my stay there. I am in awe of all the work they all do for all the volunteers, orphans, and slum community.

Tanita
Aylesbury
Roehampton University

My second visit to PMGY India

I have just returned from my second summer with plan my gap year in India ( both three weeks long) and have loved every minute of it. I spent both summers mainly at the Isabella school and, having seen/ been through other volunteering opportunities; it is apparent the difference that PMGY volunteers makes to these children's lives. You are able to see how the money that you pay is put back into the projects and community in order to ensure they keep improving.
I especially like how pmgy offers a personal feel to their programmes through the volunteer handbook, Facebook group and employing previous volunteers in order to act as In-country coordinators. Lisa, Hannah and Steph( from my first summer), went above and beyond to share their experiences with me and offer support throughout my trip.
During my time in India, I visited Dharamsala, the golden triangle, Amritsar, Varanasi, Mumbai, Goa and south India . All of which Vishy helped me plan and book.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my summer with pmgy . I never once felt like I was just another customer and I think this is through the support I received from the uk and in-country teams. I would not hesitate to recommend or use them again.

Emma
Leicester, United Kingdom

Amazing!

Two very simple words can be used to describe the experience... Absolutely amazing!!!
Before booking with PMGY year I did extensive research on various companies however PMGY came out top based on affordability and reviews and after being out there and experiencing it for myself, I can understand why.
The welcome pack they send out to you prior to leaving is fully comprehensive and you have lots of communication / contact before departure. It was great joining the relevant PMGY FB page, as it allows you to start talking to other volunteers which in turn puts you at ease also (especially when you're going out on your own).
When I arrived in Delhi, Vishy and his family genuinely can't do enough for you and they make you feel welcome from the moment you are met from the airport. Vishy was always on hand to answer questions or have information at the ready, especially when it came to planning your weekend trips. He also gives you ideas and helps you plan for evening activities to ensure you truly soak up the culture and learn their way of living.
The projects are fantastic and the kids are truly amazing. I spent my time working at the Isabella school and it was lovely working alongside their teach Rita who again was so friendly and welcoming. The programmes also gives you flexibility so I was able to spend a day at the Slum school as well.
The only thing I wished I'd done differently was fund raising before I went out as for just £80, you can send a child to private school for a whole year which can make such a difference to a youngs life. I would say it's definitely worth finding out this sort of information before going.
Overall... Would I do it all again... Absolutely. And I'm already looking at my next adventure with PMGY.
Good luck and have fun to all the future volunteers

Jessica
Sudbury, Suffolk
University of Southampton

An amazing experience

I spent two weeks in India on the medical programme. I had the most amazing and memorable experience from start to finish. Vishy, Steph and all the other PMGY organisers were so helpful and welcoming, they are able to accommodate your preferences in what you want to get out from your experience; whether you want to spend time in surgery, gp clinics or labs. The food was delicious and there was plenty of time to visit and discover Delhi.
My time in India confirmed my decision to go into Medicine and was so beneficial to my application!
I would highly recommend anyone to participate in volunteering with PMGY.

Chloe
Monmouth

Volunteering in India

As a first time solo traveller I felt very safe and welcome at the PMGY India programme. Vishy, the programme leader was very helpful and always available to answer any questions you might have. The set up there is great. It lends perfectly to a great social experience, meeting your fellow volunteers and the volunteering enables you to gain experience in a variety of areas, across each volunteer programme. There were lots of opportunities to travel and explore both Delhi and further afield in India. I had an amazing experience as part of this programme, both gaining essential first hand work experience and making friends for life. I highly recommend this programme to all!

Amish
London

An Amazing Experience

My experience volunteering in India was one of the most amazing and breathtaking experiences of my life. Having been my first solo trip abroad, and to India, initially I was apprehensive of booking this trip however, I honestly was not disappointed!
The project I had booked to do was English Teaching within a Slum school and this was an invaluable and extremely enjoyable experience in which I was able to interact with children of different age groups, teaching them basic English and Maths. I was also able to help out within an Excel class which would run in the morning, within the orphanage we were staying, for older teenagers/students. This I also found to be a great experience - helping out other people who were my age and older - talking to them and listening to their different life experiences.
Further to this, I was also extremely fortunate that the projects were really flexible so within the first week of my stay I was also able to help out within the medical clinic in the slum. This I found to be really rewarding as I interacted with many patients of different age groups and medical needs, as well as doctors from different countries! This I found to be extremely engaging and everyday presented a new case - witnessing how appreciative the patients (and children within the slum school) were of the care and help they were receiving really opened my eyes, making me appreciate more of what its available to me at home.
As the projects mainly started in the morning and ended by the early afternoon, there was a lot of time in which we were able to spend traveling the local areas and experiencing the culture of India. Being an hour away from Delhi allowed us to enter the city many times seeing most/if not all of the major tourist attractions. Also as at the weekends we were free - trips could be arranged to Agra to see the Taj Mahal (YOU CAN'T GO TO INDIA AND NOT SEE THE TAJ MAHAL), Jaipur and many other destinations to see tourist attractions. So visiting Agra & Jaipur for me was also an added bonus!
Volunteering with PMGY I found to be a really great experience, not only were the projects an invaluable experience but meeting so many new people and also being able to travel and sightsee was really amazing making the experience, in my opinion, even better. I would definitely recommend this programme! :)

Despite having a really amazing experience helping within the slum school, sometimes I felt as if the teaching was not very structured. Also, even though I enjoyed helping lots of children from different age groups, many were of different abilities yet still in the same class. There were also only 3 teachers to a large number of students which meant that it was often difficult for attention to be given to all the children. It maybe would have also been helpful for us as volunteers to sometimes take a small group of children separately to help them instead of just helping the teacher with all of them at once.
Also I would definitely say that language, despite personally not having a problem due to being able to speak Hindi, can also become a barrier for volunteers whilst helping - so perhaps it would be helpful for a bigger emphasis to be put on volunteers learning some basic words/phrases to communicate.

Michael
Fort Collins

PMGY/India Fitzsimmons review

I believe that the Teaching program is beneficial to the students, on-site, teachers and volunteers. I also believe that changes can be made to improve the effectiveness of the program for all three groups (which I have already shared).
I am impressed by the quality and quantity of volunteers, and by their young age!
I believe that the experience has been positive for me and for those with whom I have come in contact.

1) Organization 2) Use of resources – i.e. volunteer time, and experience

There are so many children at so many different learning levels and only three teachers that it is difficult to give the students attention that is appropriate to their skill level and needs, and yet some of the volunteers are not put to the most efficient use. I don’t know if or how it could be done to provide the teachers with more organized learning materials so that they could more effectively split up the students and give the volunteers more meaningful work within the student groups. In other words, more granular, written, lesson plans and make better use of the volunteers to implement the plans. This would require splitting students into smaller groups and spending more time planning, so I know it would be a challenge.

Plan My Gap Year (PMGY) is an award-winning international volunteer placement organisation based in the UK. We provide the worlds most affordable, need-driven and supportive short-term volunteer programmes across Africa & Asia. Our programmes start from just one weeks in duration right up to six