Plan My Gap Year - Volunteer in Ghana from $375

Plan My Gap Year - Volunteer in Ghana from $375

PMGY offers 2-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in the ancient capital of Kumasi. Volunteers get involved in a wide-range of project work including English teaching, orphanage care, medical electives, mental health & psychology and working with special needs children.

Our programmes in Kumasi run throughout the year. We have two start dates every month so you decide when you go and how long you go for.

Africa » Ghana » Kumasi
- 24/7 in-country support
- In-country orientation course
- Volunteer Handbook
- Full Financial Protection
- And of course PMGY's round the clock UK support service - It's what we're famous for!

Lea

Ghana Orphanage Programme

I stayed in Ghana for 4 weeks on the orphanage programe of PMGY. I am very happy with PMGY, the staff was nothing but supportive and did everything as soon as you asked. They are very friendly and generally awesome people. The housing was absolutely fine as well and I did like the food, although it was starting to get repetetive in the end.
The only issue I had wasnt with PMGY but with the attitude of the locals. THey dont care about the children and their goal is basically to do as little work as possible, so they often wont let the kids play outside, because they might get dirty and things like that. But because of that the children appreciate you even more and you can really make them feel loved.
I would go abroud with PMGY again!

I was completely satisfied with PMGY

Hannah
University of Brighton

Ghana

I have had the most incredible 3 weeks in Ghana. I have done so many things that I never thought I would do. My placement at the orphanage with the disabled children was challenging but extremely rewarding. I also had the opportunity to do some days at the mental health placement which was rewarding and massive thanks to seth for setting that up for me. I have made friendships and created memories that I know will last a lifetime. All the staff at Pmgy do an amazing job at making everyone feel welcome and comfortable as though the volunteer house is our second home. I can't thank the Pmgy uk team and the Ghana team enough for welcoming me into the Pmgy family and making my time here the best it can possibly be. I will, without a doubt be using Pmgy for my travels in the future. Thank you guys for everything.

Samuel

Grateful for Ghana

Visiting Ghana has been the most surreal experience. I spent 8 weeks here in the volunteer house, and despite on the odd occasion when I thought 2 months was too long, I wouldn't have changed it for the world. Excuse the cliche, but I really have made friends for life from the people I've met whilst in Ghana.

I cannot thank the PMGY staff enough for their endless work in keeping us fed, comfortable and happy for the duration of our stay. Whether it be first thing in the morning, or late at night, they are always there to help us and answer any and all questions we have. Without these wonderful, beautiful people my experience here wouldn't have been the same.

At the head of the staff is Seth with Florence at his side, however there are other members of staff that often go unappreciated. Dennis is a hard worker, and practical joker. He'll help you with anything you ask, and he is an excellent representation of the PMGY Ghana Team. Next are the ever present Christy and Cindy. These ladies work non stop. They're up at the break of dawn, preparing us breakfast and a take away lunch from 5am. They work throughout the day to clean up after us messy volunteers, and maintain a home whilst we're at placement. They then serve us plentiful meals in the evening. They keep spirits high with their giggling and contagious smiles. Without these two ladies, we'd be helpless. I have worked alongside Florence from day one being as she works at the school herself. I have never met someone so determined to help make a difference. I don't know where she finds the energy, but the woman remains enthusiastic with bundles of energy from the early mornings right through to late at night. PMGY Ghana are lucky to have Florence with the work rate she has. She is like the mother of the house, which is a wonderful characteristic of hers, meaning the volunteers feel comfortable to talk to her about any and all issues. Seth is the best coordinator we could have asked for. The words 'stop, and 'relax do not apply to him. If he's not taking us volunteers on trips, he's travelling down to Accra to pick up the new volunteers, and he's always on hand and easy to contact if we have any problems/questions.

I remember being asked in my first few days of arriving in here, 'why did you choose Ghana?', and to be completely honest I couldn't give and answer I was proud of. However, despite me not being answer that question 8 weeks ago, I can now confidently say why YOU should come to Ghana.

To the PMGY staff, the children of Divine International, and more importantly to Ghana, Diolch. Thank you. Medaase.

Unconditional love, Sir Yaw Sam

Group activities in the evening to integrate the new group with the existing group of volunteers.

Ffion
Wales

Ghana

I spent four amazing weeks in Ghana, and honestly can say it was one of the best experiences of my life. I mainly did the school project however was very lucky and was able to spend a few days observing in the hospital. The team in Ghana are outstanding, Seth will always to his best to help you in what ever worries/problems you have. Cindy and Christie (the two cooks/cleaners) and Florence (education coordinator) are the most hard working amazing people I have ever met and they are not just staff members to me I would consider them family. The house was cleaned head to toe every morning by cindy and Christie and bins were changed most days. There was plenty of food at all times and if we ran out they would always make more and if you didn't like what was being served they would offer to make something else for you. There were children just outside the house that used to come and play it's really lovely to spend some time with the local children after placement. The local children never were aloud into the house to play just because of safety really but volunteers would take out things to them like bubbles, balls and colouring. There were plenty of comfy sofas and chairs around for everyone to sit down and either watch tv or plan lessons or just talk to one another after placement! Teaching at the school was incredible, I felt it was well organised and an amazing experience that everyone should get the chance at.

The only improvements I can suggest is better beds and a better fridge although they were more than okay, just feel they could be improved.

Angharad
Llanelli, Wales
University of Wales- Trinity Saint David

Ghana 2017

In July/August I spent three weeks of my holidays volunteering in Ghana with PMGY and what a memorable experience I had. From the time that I booked my trip in the UK to the time that I left for the airport to come home, I can truly say that the oganisation and support from all members of staff was great. I had the most rewarding and wonderful three weeks working in the orphanage where I have gained a different perspectivie on life. Working with children who are less fortunate than us in the UK has been overwhelming and has changed me as a person. Along with the orphanage I was allowed to work at the school and see all the hardwork Florence has done since being there.She is an inspiration and her passion for her job and the children inspired me along with other volunteers to help transform the nursery. I thorougly enjoyed this project and the transformation brought smiles to many faces.

Being in a house with great people made the experience even more enjoyable. I've created some great friendships and hopefully we will stay in contact. Seth's motivavtional attitude and humorous personailty succeded to make me smile and laugh throughout the three weeks and he's a brilliant coordnator. Also Dennis and the kitchen staff are fantastic and provided us with some tasty meals.

I highly reccomend this trip/company to future volunteers. I was sad to see my trip come to an end but the memories I have created will remain in my heart forever. Thank you PMGY for a trip of a lifetime. Hopefully I will be back soon :)

Thomas
University College Cork

Ghana 2017 - Medical programe

I'm just finishing up four weeks doing the medical volunteering here in Ghana with PMGY. It's been absolutely incredibly and I can't believe I'm saying it but even after our weeks I wish I was staying longer. I've had just such a great time here and what really made it was the people. Everyone in the house has been just such a pleasure to live with, volunteers and those working with PMGY. The medical volunteering was incredibly interesting and you really were able to get some hands on experience in all the different departments of the hospital that would really be hard to access so easily at home. Here in Kumasi I did everything from ultrasounds, to carrying out HIV and Malaria testing in the laboratory, to helping take vitals and take bloods in Emergency to even acting as an extra set of hands during Surgery. I've found the whole experience hugely beneficial for myself.
The UK team were incredibly helpful during the contact period as I wasn't able to come on set dates due to family commitments and was worried about some of the issues about that but Josh and the team smoothed all my worries away with a short bit of correspondence and sorted everything for me so I was able to get here okay. I couldn't be more grateful.
The staff here in Ghana were something else, within a week I'd felt like we'd been friends for years, they made me feel so at home and they're mostly the reason I'm sorry to go. Seth and Florence were really proactive in helping you to give back to the communities around here if you wanted to and it was nice to feel like I was a part of something that was actively improving the lives of people in the area. The other volunteers really do bring out the best in you and I found myself incredibly inspired by their selflessness and thoughtfulness, and the staff here were really good at helping you direct that charity to ensure it helped as much people a possible.
Even though I did Medical volunteering I was also able to take part in the Teaching program some days and visit the school and the kid there are something else. They're absolutely amazing and were another contender for my favourite part of Ghana. Just seeing how much PMGY improved the school in the few week I was here wasa incredible, we completely renovated two rooms and had a new playground for the kids fitted and I've never seen gratefulness like what we got from the kids.
I felt really safe during my time here, granted I didn't go out too much at night but I felt very secure and at ease when taking long journeys and doing stuff by myself during the day (granted, I am a 6"3 man in his twenties but still). That's parially just due to the local people as well, most I encountered were just so friendly and would always greet you with a smile if you smiled first.
I couldn't recommend PMGY more and I already have suggested it to the 3 friends back home who've snapchatted me asking about my stay. I've enjoyed my time here immensely and my four weeks here have really blown my expectations out of the water. Medaase guys.

Maybe just more detailed day plans upon arrival?

Barbara
Manchester Metropolitan University

Ghana- Orphanage Project

I have spent the most amazing 4 weeks in Ghana volunteering at the children's home. From the very start, I have received the help and support form the UK Plan My Gap Year team, when it came to finalising the trip like the visa application etc. When I arrived in Ghana I was picked up by the local team, I felt same and comfortable from the beginning, we travelled to Kumasi on the next day. When I arrived at the house everyone including other volunteers and the PMGY's staff were very welcoming and helpful. On the orientation day, we were taken to our placements and had everything explained for us, like what our days are gonna look like, how we get to the placement etc. I couldn't enjoy the time at the placement more than I have, I enjoyed every bit of it, whether it was playing with the kids, changing them, feeding or helping with everyday tasks such as washing and drying clothes. I think that being able to experience all of it, was one of the best opportunities that I had, and I couldn't be more grateful for it. All of the staff at the house are amazing, and are working really hard to do their best and help volunteers whenever they need them. Seth, Florence, Dennis, Cindy and Christy deserve a huge thank you from all of the volunteers. I would recommend this amazing experience to anyone!

David

3 Week Medical Project Review

From stepping out of the airport, you're immersed in this amazing culture that is unlike any other country I've traveled to. The country is vibrant with each tro tro journey providing a different spectacle each time. The locals are very friendly and approachable, especially all the kids who will always smile and wave at you and shout "obroni" (or "chinaman"). The kids really do make you smile and vice versa. If you also want to be proposed to, Ghana is the country for you.
I did the medical project during the morning and managed to see births in Maternity, caesarean sections in Theatre and get hands on in the Emergency Ward. The doctors are happy to teach you and let you do basic things like vitals etc. if you're proactive and ask them to, although do sometimes offer a bit too much with suturing for example. A definite highlight were the 12 hour night shifts we got to do, where you can help out a lot and I would make sure to do one whilst in Ghana. The hospital is vastly different to UK ones as expected, so allows an interesting comparison in equipment and approach to healthcare.
In the afternoon we'd go to the school (not the orphanage) which was always something to look forward to as the kids will all remember you and get extremely excited to play. I enjoyed getting to help teach them things like English and maths and that is definitely the impact you can make on the medical project, once you realize how hard it is to teach things like simple multiplication and their lack of simple things like pen and paper.
The rest of the time is what you make of it, as there's many places to visit and people to talk to. The staff really do put in the effort for you for a smooth and comfortable trip. I personally once never felt unsafe, even travelling alone for the day around the city.
My trip ended with an incredible Mole Trip with some spectacular sights, which also emphasized how close you become with fellow volunteers, this does lead to emotional Sundays when volunteers come and go. It may not be for everyone but when it is right for you, it is an unforgettable experience of a lifetime of which I'm sad I was only there for 3 weeks, but unbelievably grateful it happened and looking forward to future trips now.

Just that people have the knowledge and maybe photos of the rooms and house facilities before coming, along with a normal daily timetable so people know what to look forward too.

Charlie
London
University of Dundee

Medical Placement

I have just got back from a month away on the medical placement. I have had a lot of fun and made friends that I'll keep for a life. The UK team was really helpful and always answered my questions really quickly. Cindy and Kristy are amazing at doing all the cooking and cleaning and the food they serve is always amazing. Florence is brilliant at her job and is always there for a chat. Dennis and Seth are so funny and really helpful if you need anything. I never once worried about my safety in Ghana and I always felt safe and looked after whether it was in the house or whilst we were out and about. I am so glad I went and got to meet some amazing people that I will share an experience with for life.

Lauren

Life changing experience

I spent a month in Ghana doing the teaching project and also the orphanage project. I have had the best 4 weeks of my life. I had the pleasure of meeting so many amazing people. The children brought me so much happiness and joy. In the school, they are so motivated and interested to learn which makes it a lot more enjoyable. Seeing the transformation of the nursery class while I was there and the smiles of the children when they entered their new classroom, is something I'll remember forever. In the orphanage, the children are just amazing. They appreciate everything you do for them no matter how big or small. Even by just colouring a picture with the children, can make their day. The children in both the school and the orphanage are so warm and welcoming, you're always greeted with a smile and a hug every morning! I have formed so many close bonds with people and have made friends for life in Ghana. You become so close to the other volunteers and I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to share my experience with. The staff in the house are fantastic. I've never met such passionate and hard working people. If ever you needed help with anything or even just wanted a chat, they are always there to help you no matter what and will always make time for you. They make you feel so at home and are extremely supportive. The UK team are also very supportive as they're always there to help you with any questions or issues you may have. I had no safety issues in Ghana at all. I was a bit nervous about safety at first but I felt more safe in Ghana than I do at home. The locals are the friendliest people you'll ever meet. You're given so many opportunities in Ghana that most people will never get the chance to experience. I'm so sad to be leaving and I'm already looking at flights to come back. My experience has been life changing and I'd 100% recommend PMGY Ghana!

I would recommend maybe getting more metal bunk beds and possibly for the bathroom situation to improve. More group communication would be useful too in the evenings so everyone can talk about their day☺️

Gabriella

PMGY Ghana 2017

I have just spent the past 4 weeks in Ghana. I completed a mixture of the medical and teaching project. The medical project was amazing. I learned so much and got some hands on experience that I wouldn't have been able to get at home. It's also amazing to see the different health care system over there. I really enjoyed the medical project but I loved the teaching project.
I didn't think I would enjoy teaching as much as I did. The children at the local school are all so eager to learn and it's just completely different to home. It's also so reward to teach a lesson and to be able to help struggling children understand.
The staff are all amazing. Cindy and Christie do an amazing job with the cooking and cleaning. They aren't given enough credit. Flo knows everything and can help with any problems or queries anyone has. Of course there is Dennis as well who can take you anywhere and will do anything you ask of him. Then lastly Seth, the project wouldn't be the same without Seth. He puts so much work into each project and ensures we get on well and that everything runs so smoothly.
The safety was also perfect. There wasn't a single time where I felt worried about my safety. Ghana is a lovely country and the people are all so welcoming. The volunteer house is also nice and private and safe.
I would recommend PMGY Ghana to friends as it was the experience of a lifetime that I am so grateful for.

Alana
Hertfordshire
Aberystwyth University

PMGY Ghana April-May 2017

I spent 4 truly amazing weeks in Ghana, and there wouldn't have been a better company to go with than Plan My Gap Year! I am so grateful I got to go as it was the best thing I have ever experienced.
I went to Ghana with a friend from school, it was really lovely getting to endure this opportunity with a friend and didn't make my first trip alone as daunting. However the team and all the other volunteers are so welcoming and friendly that going alone would be just as good, we were greeted with happiness and excitement at the airport and welcomed like family as soon as we stepped into the volunteer house.
I spent my time in Ghana volunteering in the orphanage, the first day we were greeted by many hugs and smiles, the children were so happy to see us each day and we were so happy to see them as well. Getting to spend so much time playing and helping with the children was so positive. The majority of my time was spent in the home unit and the nursery block where the bonds formed with these children were incredible, we got to help out with day to day childcare and washing of the clothes, each day we went staying till so late as we didn't want to leave we got to put the children and babies to bed which was always peaceful at the end of a long day. Taking the kids into the sensory room so they could play, paint, read and make music was my favourite part of the day as they looked so happy to get in and play with anything they could get hold of.
My birthday was in my first week of being there, and i will never forget it. Seth bought me a cake and the older boys helped organise a party with the kids, they all sang happy birthday to me on the stage in English and Twi and it was the sweetest!
The team in the house work so hard, and always make sure everyone is safe and is having the best time possible, they cannot be thanked enough for everything they do, it is always appreciated! The food was delicious, and we were never left hungry. Seth even went out of his way every Thursday to introduce us to the nicest spring rolls in Ghana!
The weekend trips were really well organised and so fun, getting to see more of Ghana and the culture.
The hardest thing about going to Ghana was leaving and saying goodbye to everyone, definitely want to come back! If i could change one thing about my time in Ghana it would be to go for longer as it went so quickly and I didn't want to leave. I would recommend PMGY Ghana to everyone! Thankyou so much, my heart will always be in Ghana X

Chloë Christie
Scotland

My Ghana Experiance

I have just returned home from 2 weeks in Ghana, taking part in the teaching project. I can honestly say that it was the most influential 2 weeks of my life, and I regret not staying longer.
The school has changed how I view education greatly. These kids are so excited to learn, especially about where the volunteers are from! They are incredibly smart and want to show you their work, and will drag you into their classroom so they can test their English.
The PMGY staff are very helpful and supportive, both the UK team and Ghana team. I was apprehensive prior to travelling due it being my first time travelling alone, and the UK team were always quick to respond to any questions I had. Regarding the Ghana team, they become more like your friends than staff. I would have late night chats with Dennis out on the porch, and Seth would crack my back and give me the best hugs, and Florence would get us all up and dancing and singing. If you had any issues with anything - Ghana or home related - you could go to any of them and they would help out and be as supportive as possible. You will also make life-lasting friendships with the other volunteers.
Ghana was surprisingly more safe than I thought it would be. We travel by ourselves to and from placements so you get used to not wearing a seatbelt. Even if you got lost travelling in the trotro,the locals would happily point you in the right direction. Although, if you any issue with strangers touching you, I don't think Ghana would be the best PMGY destination. Ghanians like the look of white and light hair, and will grab and stroke you as you walk past. I would definitely recommend Ghana otherwise though. I'm already planning my trip to Ghana.

More organization/information given to volunteers regarding arriving in Kumasi bus station and returning to the airport.

Andrew
Newcastle University

Teaching placement review

I've just returned from 5 weeks in Ghana. It was a brilliant experience and it was shared with an amazing group of people. Having not travelled to Africa before, I was apprehensive about safety but this never became an issue. I always felt safe and comfortable when going around Kumasi. I spent the majority of my time teaching at the school. It was an incredible journey from the first day to the last. Seeing the kids' eagerness to learn was so refreshing and it was so rewarding watching them progress in my time there. It was such a good feeling when I managed to get them to understand something when they were struggling. All of the staff in Ghana do a fantastic job. They make every volunteer feel welcome and they all try so hard to make it a fun and enjoyable experience. My time in Ghana with PMGY was a truly unforgettable experience and I would recommend it to anyone who's thinking of going.

I have very few complaints about my program but there a few hings that i feel could be improved upon. Although it is very reasonably priced when compared to other organisations that offer similar projects, I was sometimes hard to see where the money went towards. I'm not saying that it wasn't value for money but I think that it would put people's mind at ease if they knew exactly what their money went towards. The volunteer house only has one toilet/shower which is shared between 20-25 people at peak times. This can sometimes be a problem but I more often found that it was ok.

evie
UK

Ghana Trip 2017

I spent 2 weeks in Ghana, on the orphanage placement. It was such an amazing experience and every day I spent, whether at placement or even just at the house, was fantastic.
At placement, in the orphanage, we were introduced too all the mothers and got too know the routine. I found my favourite area was the day centre as I was able too teach and help out with lunches and washing up. I also really enjoyed the home unit as I really felt valued and as though my help was really needed. Even just little jobs like helping serve lunch, washing clothes, changing nappies and playing with the children, made a massive difference and meant the world too the children.
As well as working in the orphanage, I also had the opportunity too go to the school and sit in some lessons and help with marking. I also managed too donate money too enable the school nursery to be re-do and make the environment more appropriate for young children too learn and play in.
The staff at the volunteer house were all so supportive and helpful no matter how little or much you asked of them. The staff constantly made me feel safe and relaxed throughout my stay, and looked after us 24/7.
The environment in the volunteer house, was so homely and made me feel at ease and comfortable. I wish I had been able too stay longer, and will definitely be going back next year !
I would reccomend PMGY too anyone looking at international volunteering. After being too Ghana, at first it was a culture shock but I soon adjusted and almost immediately was able too fully enjoy the experience and get the most out of every day. All the luxuries I take for granted at home, even little things, have been put in perspective; and the whole trip has been a massive eye opener and the most amazing experience.

no improvement.

Lucy
Cardiff University

Ghana psychiatric unit

I really enjoyed my time in the PMGY ghana house, I made lots of wonderful friends and got to explore some of ghana with the most amazing staff team! On days off we were always given options of things to do by the in house staff such as the culture centre, market etc. and were generally either taken there or shown how to get there (which we always felt safe doing by ourselves as the tro tros were quite easy to use). The biggest challenge was dealing with the lack of running water but we all managed to deal with that quite quickly. it was really fun being able to live with so many people and play games every evening to chill out after placement.
The trips to cape coast and mole national park were amazing, it was incredible to be able to see so much of a different country and i really enjoyed the surfing lesson. it was really fun being able to do something recreational and getting some fabulous experiences along side my friends.
I enjoyed the placement and tried to get as much out of it as possible, i learnt a lot from the nurses who were very willing to explain to us what was going on. However the psychiatric unit was disappointing as the nurses and patients spoke in the native language to each other ( as expected i guess), which made it difficult to understand what was going on and to make a positive contribution. the nurses did their best to explain what was happening but we weren't left with much opportunity to participate and do things. we also went out with the community outreach nurses into the local community to promote mental health and reduce stigma which was really interesting to learn about how little the public knew about mental health. again there was not much english spoken here so it was difficult to understand and contribute to the discussions. overall the placement was positive and i learnt a lot but i feel i was limited by the language barrier.
I really enjoyed the whole experience, and it was really sad to leave everybody behind when i had to go home. it is definitely an experience that I won't be forgetting any time soon.

metal bunk beds
running water
english speaking hospital program

Robyn
Edge Hill University

PMGY Ghana

I have just recently returned from Ghana, where I spent four weeks. I can honestly say it was one of the most amazing and incredible things I have ever experienced.
Throughout my time there, I volunteered at two hospitals in Ghana in their psychiatric units as I was on the mental health programme. However, in the last week I spent a lot of time at the school as well. I really appreciated the flexibility and the opportunity to spend time and help such extraordinary children.
The mental health programme allowed me to learn so much about how they diagnose and treat psychological and psychiatric disorders. I gained a lot of knowledge and experience that I couldn't have gained in the UK.
I couldn't have felt more comfortable in the volunteer house, and while the water/power cuts could be annoying. However, it was never for long, and accommodations were made for that. The staff at the house were amazing, and could not have been more helpful or available. I never once felt unsafe, and always felt secure.
I highly recommend this experience and PMGY to anyone.

Hanan
4 months old
Kuwait

Life changing experience

I am really happy that I have volunteered to help and doing something good for the kids at the school , to see their faces lighting up when they see you and so eager to learn and so interested in what you have to say. They even will pul you into their class and they were so smart that I didn't have to work so hard in teaching them. I loved every moment with them and I will be back next year, I miss them so much

Catherine
New York, USA
Pace University- Pleasantville

Truly a Life Changing Experience

Upon booking this trip I was extremely nervous, as I have never traveled alone before. However, from the start, I was never actually alone. The PMGY team were always eager to answer any questions and answered my emails/returned my phone calls promptly. They ensured that everything ran smoothly from the airport pick up, to transportation, food, (etc.). The second I got off the plane and exited the airport, I was greeted by smiling, friendly faces. Seth, Dennis, and Florence helped me with exchanging money, activating my SIM card, and anything else that I may have needed assistance with.
Everyone in the volunteer house is like one big family. The house is surrounded by a gate and has an outside patio space, kitchen, multiple bathrooms, and several bedrooms as well as a living room and dinning room area. There are many group activities to partake in, but one is always free to go out and explore on their own adventure if they wish to do so! I found that I was never bored while staying in Ghana, as there was always something to do.
I volunteered at the Manhyia District Hospital in the Emergency and Surgery Ward, and also assisted teachers at the school placement as well. Both placements were extremely rewarding. I got to watch multiple surgeries, and the doctors actually gave me a lesson or two during the procedure and explained step by step what they were doing to the patient. It was a brilliant learning experience. In the emergency ward, there was more hands on work. I got to take patients vital signs, assess patients, and assist nurses with whatever they needed! The school placement was filled with vibrant energy, and the children I got to meet were unforgettable. You are able to teach the children your own lesson that you have constructed, and interact with them one on one. The teachers at the school love the volunteers and really do appreciate the help.
Overall, Ghana with PMGY was an incredible experience. I have come back home a different person, with a different perspective. I am forever grateful for the friends I have made, the people I have met, the experiences I've had, and the memories I've made. I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone who wants to travel! PMGY makes you feel right at home, and ensures that you are safe at all times and have no complications during your trip. It was a wonderful experience!

Rebecca

Disabled children placement

I spent four weeks in Ghana, on the Disabled children placement.
It was a great experience, from the start we were guided around until confident to travel alone. Even when travelling alone the local community are so helpful and friendly; from telling you which stop to get off for the next minibus, to letting you know your bag is open in the market. There was never a reason to feel unsafe during my time in Ghana.

For the placement itself once I was able to recognise the routine of the children's home it became easier to be productive and make a good impact. The home seems understaffed so being able to help with washing clothes, changing nappies, and giving so more attention to a child who's usually left to their own devices does make a positive difference. w
Whether it's chatting or singing with them, exercising their arms and legs to encourage mobility, there's always something to be done.

In addition to working in the children's home I was given the oppurtunity to contribute at the School; I paid school term fees for a number of students and helped towards their end of term party.

The PMGY team in Ghana were really supportive and hardworking, and help you to let of steam at the end of a tiring day or week.
I wish I could have stayed longer as they have created a home environment for us volunteers, and continually took our needs into consideration, seeing what they could change to make our stay better. They also told is about the differences in Ghana, and encouraged us not to be wasteful, for example concerning water and food.

I would recommend Pmgy Ghana to anyone and hope to return. Come with an open mind and acknowledge that many of the norms which are taken for granted in the developed world are luxuries here and appreciate how people work around it. It may take a few days to adjust but it's worth it.

sian
Glyndŵr University

Unforgettable & Lifechanging

Firstly, from the start of my experience when I signed up with PMGY , the U.K staff (Philip & Josh) were most helpful. Together, they were on hand , on a daily basis (via email) to answer all my queries. The sign up process was made simple and every question I had was answered prompt and honest. I then made contact with Seth (the company coordinator in Ghana) via facebook, and he also answered every query I had leading up to my trip. Already, even before arriving at Ghana to volunteer I felt at ease that I would be looked after.

The staff in Ghana are all amazing people. You become part of a family. All of which are on hand 24 hours a day as you all live together in the same house during your stay.

The safety elements during your placement in Kumasi is the teams utmost importance. It actually surprised me how safe of a country Ghana is, so although you can assured that the team has your safety as a number one priority, this is not something that is an issue. Ghana is one safe friendly county. You will not only be looked after by the team, but also by the local Ghanaians. Never once throughout my stay did I feel unsafe. It was like home from home to me. Far safer than even being at home in the U.K in my opinion.

The placements offer so much experience and opportunities. Those of which you can not gain in the UK. For example, during my mental health placement at Tafo District, I was able to write out patient prescriptions for the nurses. You gain so much hands on experience which will have a huge impact on your life forever.

Mental Health project lets you have an insight on how mental health patients are treated. In the UK you could ever gain an insight like you can in Ghana. Medial staff are friendly and are really helpful with any questions that you may have.

The school/teaching project is most enjoyable. You will engage in very close relationships with the children, the teachers and even the children's parents. I was lucky enough on my last weekend to go to one of the family's home and take their 3 children out on my own. The Ghanaian community are most friendly I've met in my whole life. I've gained a new family for life.

I am confident that after completing my placement at both Mental Health and School/teaching, I have made a huge impact into various lives. Returning back home to the UK is sad, but Its also and incredible feeling knowing you have touched the lives of so many people who can stay in touch with and be a part of their life forever.

Food is amazing. I love embracing in local cultures of any country I visit, and Ghana has been my favorite by far. From learning to african dance, make african food, to getting tailored african outfits made at such a low cost, it made my trip even more enjoyable than I could of imagined.

No improvemnts needed.

Lucy

PMGY Ghana

When people have asked me how my time in Ghana was, I have found it really hard to put it into words. I have experienced emotions which I have never experienced before, been introduced to a new culture, become more confident in myself and I have made friends for life.

The volunteer house itself is what I expected with around 6 volunteers per room which enabled me to become really close to numerous people. The living and dining area is spacious so all of the volunteers were able to sit together and participate in activities which also helped our group to become even closer. Although often having no running water came as a shock, I surprisingly really enjoyed the bucket showers.

My time at the orphanage was an experience which I will never forget. Although at the beginning of my three weeks I found it hard to know what I was able to do at the orphanage and after the initial shocks of how the house mothers treated the children, I soon settled in and felt able to contribute in ways that enabled me to make a difference. As my time progressed at the orphanage, I found myself becoming more confident in myself and became much more involved. I painted the disabled girls' room along with a couple of other volunteers and transformed their dark and dull room into a light, pretty, girly room which was greatly appreciated by the house mother and the children. Some of the children at the orphanage have completely stolen my heart and I plan on visiting them again in the future. The children at the orphanage have taught me a very important lesson as they all were so positive, enthusiastic and happy despite them having absolutely nothing.

The staff at PMGY Ghana have been absolutely amazing. I couldn't have asked for a more supportive, caring and enthusiastic team to spend my three weeks with. Whenever I needed advice or help Seth or Flo were always there to help. As this was my first time volunteering abroad I was a bit apprehensive before I came as I thought I might feel out of my comfort zone, however, the staff really helped to make everyone feel at home as soon as they stepped foot in the volunteer house. I felt so safe during my time in Ghana, there was never a time that I felt anxious or worried about safety aspects.

Overall, I have had the most amazing experience of my life and I cannot recommend volunteering in Ghana enough. I believe that it has changed me for the better and I have learnt a lot of important life lessons.

Savannah
2 months old
South West Wales
Wales

PMGY Ghana

I have recently returned home from three weeks in Ghana with PMGY.
I loved my three weeks in Ghana, I can honestly say I've made friends for life. After arriving off the plane and arriving at the hostel we were met by staff at Pmgy before arriving at the hostel for the night.
The volunteer house is easy to settle into with bunk beds and lockers for personal belongings. The living room has a TV and the dining room is large and good to play games in. I found myself enjoying the bucket showers which were welcomed after a long hot day.
Placement is overwhelming but amazing and the children will steal your hearts as they did mine. I was shocked to have found myself so attached the the children so soon but with their charm and smiles they make any day a good day. The orphanage was hard for me at first but after finding my feet I was confident to roam around and find jobs to do. The school is so amazing, the children will be overjoyed to see new people and they love singing and dancing! I would definitely recommend visiting both.
The staff are helpful and are happy to help arrange any excursions you're interested in.
Overall I would recommend this amazing oppertunity and I've returned home with a lot more perspective on the little things. I would love to visit the children again and see how they've grown.

I think that a little more insight on life at the volunteer house e.g. Food and bathroom situation and bedroom would be useful in preparing new volunteers.

Caitlin
Cardiff
University of Winchester

PMGY GHANA- MAY/JUNE 17

I cannot put into words how amazing my time was in Ghana. The past two months have been absolutely incredible and life changing. I have come back so thankful that I got to experience what I did and it has changed my outlook completely. I loved my time in Ghana and I cannot thank the PMGY team enough.
I did the teaching project and the orphanage project and loved both! I fell in love with the children from day one and the bounds formed with them I will never forget. I would teach at the school in the mornings and then volunteer in the orphanage in the afternoon and I'm thankful that i was able to do both projects as they have taught me so much. Both projects are completely different experiences but each were equally rewarding and I felt like I was helping at both. Whilst at times it was challenging, the fulfilling feeling you got from helping the children and seeing them happy made it easier. The attitude that the kids have is inspiring and seeing their smiling faces has really taught me not to take anything for granted. They constantly stayed positive and happy and I feel blessed that I got to work with them. I will honestly always remember them and everything they have taught me. Leaving both projects was incredibly difficult and probably one of the hardest things i've had to do. I miss the Kids so much and think of them everyday, they have made such an impact on my life.
Not only is the projects amazing but so are the PMGY Ghana team. They are incredibly hard working and helpful and this experience wouldn't of been the same without them. Seth and Flo will do anything to help and go out of their way to ensure you are enjoying yourself and having a good time. Flo is a shinning star and to me the heart of the house. She is constantly upbeat and cheerful and its impossible to be anything but happy when around her. Whilst also working at the school herself, she also helps volunteers in any way possible and I never felt out of my depths at the school as she was always there to make sure everything was ok. I also need to mention the two best chefs Kristy and Cindy for the delicious food they cooked for us everyday. Not only that though they too were so upbeat and happy that it was just lovely to be around them. They created such a fun atmosphere in the house. Often you'd come home from project feeling tired but it was nice to come back to their liveliness and chat about our days or have a little dance. I consider all of them friends and I feel lucky to of meet them. Also not to miss out Roland, Dennis, Kwami and prince, a massive thank you for making this time so great. All the team made me feel so welcome from day one and it did feel like one big family. I never once felt alone as I knew I could always have someone to go to. By the end of my time in Ghana it felt more like a second home. Also to all my fellow volunteer a massive thank you to all of you for making this trip so special, I love you all!
I never felt unsafe throughout my whole stay in Ghana, and I always knew if I needed help the locals were always more than happy to help with what you need. I've fallen in love the country and the culture, whilst its very different to back in the uk, its so interesting to see and experience. What i have found most inspiring is the happiness of everyone you meet, even people who are struggling keep a smile on their face and I think that's truly amazing! I would 100% recommend PMGY Ghana! The memories I have from Ghana I will cherish forever and Ghana will always have a special place in my heart! I will definitely be returning.

William
Scotland
Open University

William Tennant - Ghana 2017

It's difficult to put into words how my time in Ghana has been.

From arriving at Kotoka Airport to spending the night in the Pink Hostel then arriving at the volunteer house in Kronum, all of which were experiences in themselves, I knew I was going to be spending my time with an incredible bunch of people.

The volunteer house is as you can imagine. Lots of bedrooms, a communia dining room. I think this aided in us becoming a closer group in some way. The food was a culture shock, obviously, and I'm still unsure about some of it, but Christie and Cindy do a great job, as does Flo, Dennis and of course Seth!

My placement was incredible. I worked in the Emergency Unit and made some great friends with the nurses. It was hard at times - myself and another volunteer found a woman in cardiac arrest in the car park of the hospital and despite doing everything we could in the Emergency Unit we couldn't save her. The EU team is very welcoming and supportive, and we were able to chat about what happened.

The most difficult time I had on my trip was saying goodbye to people who I became so close to. For three weeks we worked, ate, travelled and shared rooms with eachother and to have to say goodbye to them one day was really difficult.

I'd definitely recommend PMGY to people, and especially the medical programme.

Ellé

PMGY Ghana - June

I have recently returned from a 4 week placement with PMGY Ghana where i worked both at the teaching placement and the childrens home. Both placements were absolutely incredible and something i couldn't reccomend highly enough, the school is incredible and the children are amazing to work with and it's great to see them eager to learn! Aswell as the orphanage, it is an amazing experience there and again the children and wonderful and there smiles will fill you with joy! My time in Ghana was the best time of my life, the culture and people make every penny worth it and i would reccomend traveling to Ghana as it is amazing! I can't wait to be returning next year!

Only improvements would be more support from staff at the orphanage.

Mariza
Kumasi, Ghana
Roehampton University

PMGY Ghana

My time here in ghana has been beyond amazing. During my last 3 weeks in Ghana, I have encountered a wide rage of experiences, opportunities and eye opening insights, which willl remain with me forever. Everyday in ghana has been a different day which has made this trip so delightful and fun. I'm extremly happy that I made the choice to come and volunteer in ghana, as the people here are always happy and kind, the culture is different and welcoming and overall the volunteers that I've met have turn out to be more than just but friends but more like family.

The medical placement where I was volunteering, has made my time here in ghana feel like I made a difference. The majority of the time at the hospital I observed the doctors, nurses and surgeons, however from these observations i managed to learn a lot which may not have been volunteering in a direct manner but it surely made me aware of many things.

The staff in ghana are lovely, supportive and extremely friendly. They've made me feel like I've been at home for the past 3 weeks. I appreciate everything that they do and I'm very grateful for them being there for all of us.

Personally, I think Ghana is a safe country to visit and volunteer as everyone is so friiendly and welcoming and I've had no issues.

I loveeeee ghanaaaa

Tania
Roehampton University

June 2017 - Medical Programme

Since arriving to Ghana there hasnt been a single day that I have regreted signing up for the programme. It has been an extraordinary experience as well as rewarding in many ways. Ghabna has change me as a person and enable me to realise how privileged I am and how many aint that lucky.
Altghough at first I was sceptical about my placement as it didnt feel like I was helping, I was able to combine it with the school programme which gave me the opputunity to help. The medical placement is fantastic and I would honestly not fault the program itself. the medical professiuonals were always ready to share their knowledge with you and challenge your understanding and views of medicine. Truly enjoyed myself and Im glad I cameas I was able to witness things (eg. surgeriers) that I probably wouldnt be able to back in the UK.
Staff were great! From the minute we stepped in to this country to the minute we left. Never felt alone, or in any way lost because wherever and whatever i neede4d i would have somebody.
Ghana is very safe all the locals love obronis and like in any other country you have that odd episode taht a purse gets stolen but honestly Ghana is SAFE! I would defenetly recomend Ghana, you are going to have the best time of yoyur life! A special shout to Dennis for helping me so much, he has defenatly changed my experience since I have been here. He was always ready to help, buy anything that I wanted/needed, take me to placement until I was sure of my way ect.

Possibly cheaper programmes.
I know it's hard but maybe avoid having conversations in twi in front of volunteers as we dont really know what is being said and although is probably nothing is just nicer if we could understand it.

Natalie
University of Glasgow

Ghana Summer 2017

I have just spent a life changing 3 weeks in Ghana with PMGY and couldn't have asked for a better organisation to do volunteer work with. As a 17 year old, I was quite apprehensive about travelling all the way to Africa on my own. However, in hindsight there was no need to worry at all - it was as fun, eye opening and educational as I could have ever hoped for. I took part in the orphanage program which was very emotional at times but extremely rewarding when you make a child smile or you make a mother's job that little bit easier. Despite the initial culture shock I experienced at the beginning, I overcame that and began to learn more about myself and the country which has opened my eyes an awful lot. The kids are great and become your own little friends which makes it so much harder to leave them but only goes to show the amazing relationship you are building with them, showing that you are making a positive difference. As for the staff that work in the volunteer house, they are all truly amazing. Each and every one of them gives 100% and more to make sure you feel happy during your stay. I cannot fault any member of staff, Seth, Flo, Dennis, Kristy and Cindy are your friends and really do make you feel like you are part of a family. They are a huge part of my experience because of the many laughs and happy moments I've had with them during the 3 weeks. Safety is not an issue to worry about whilst in Ghana, even though, to admit I was a bit concerned to start with. However, I had no reason to, I felt very safe during my time in Ghana and not once did I feel in danger. I must say though, the tro tro drivers can be a bit crazy but you get used to it haha! I would 100% recommend PMGY to anyone who really wants to make a positive impact in the world because you really do feel like you are with this organisation. PMGY Ghana you have been amazing! Thank you for this opportunity!

Natalie xx

Lily

6 weeks with PMGY GHANA

I have just got back from an absolutely amazing and life changing 6 weeks in Ghana. I did both teaching and orphanage programmes and I honestly loved both so much. The children are all beyond happy and just seeing their little smiles put a smile on my face every single day. 6 weeks absolutely flew by and if I could if I would've stayed for way longer- put it this way, I loved it so much I am planning on going back next year.
Each day I travelled to the school in the morning and taught at the school then left to go to the orphanage for the afternoon. Every day came with its own challenges but every day was making a difference. If a day came that was a challenge- the staff at the house and fellow volunteers were there 24/7. I honestly could not recommend PMGY ghana enough! The children are bundles of fun, the staff are absolutely amazing and so friendly, and the general community and vibe is just so vibrant. I can't say a single bad word about it. Before I came I was a little worried about the safety out there, but there was never a single moment I felt unsafe. Everyone is so friendly and the staff will make sure you know how to get around before going out without them.
Thank you so much for such a life changing and extrordinary experience- would honestly recommend PMGY to anyone and everyone!! You won't be disappointed :)

Can't see the programme needing any improvements:)

Plan My Gap Year (PMGY) is an award-winning international volunteer placement organisation based in the UK. We provide the worlds most affordable, need-driven and supportive short-term volunteer programmes across Africa & Asia. Our programmes start from just one weeks in duration right up to six