Plan My Gap Year - Volunteer in Ghana from $375

PMGY offers 2-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in the ancient capital of Kumasi. Volunteers get involved in a wide-range of project work including English teaching, orphanage care, medical electives, mental health & psychology and working with special needs children.

Our programmes in Kumasi run throughout the year. We have two start dates every month so you decide when you go and how long you go for.

• Program Selection 10
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 10
  • Impact on Student 10
Sarah

Plan My Gap Year is the best! Loved every second.

I had an absolutely incredible time In Ghana with Plan My Gap Year and would recommend this experience and PMGY to anyone and everyone. Philip and Josh in the UK team were so incredibly helpful from moment one. They went out of their way to answer any questions promptly, organise absolutely everything and make the booking process quick and easy. Plan My Gap Year is extremely reasonable with exceptional service. Seth, Flo, Dennis, Prince, Christie and Emmanuel out in Ghana are incredibly friendly, helpful and welcoming. I quickly felt welcomed into their big family. I took part in the medical program and was amazed by all the incredible experiences I had the pleasure of being involved with and observing. I also had the opportunity to help out in an orphanage and on an outreach program where Plan My Gap Year provide medical care to remote villagers who are unable to afford/ access it. I would highly recommend the Plan My Gap Year project in Ghana as the people, food and weather are just fantastic in every way. The people are the most open, fun and kind that I have ever met. This was to date the best experience of my life. I cannot wait to book my next trip. Plan My Gap Year is the best!!

I had an absolutely amazing time, I just wish I could have been there for longer!
Lea

Ghana Orphanage Programme

I stayed in Ghana for 4 weeks on the orphanage programe of PMGY. I am very happy with PMGY, the staff was nothing but supportive and did everything as soon as you asked. They are very friendly and generally awesome people. The housing was absolutely fine as well and I did like the food, although it was starting to get repetetive in the end.
The only issue I had wasnt with PMGY but with the attitude of the locals. THey dont care about the children and their goal is basically to do as little work as possible, so they often wont let the kids play outside, because they might get dirty and things like that. But because of that the children appreciate you even more and you can really make them feel loved.
I would go abroud with PMGY again!

I was completely satisfied with PMGY
Hannah

Ghana

I have had the most incredible 3 weeks in Ghana. I have done so many things that I never thought I would do. My placement at the orphanage with the disabled children was challenging but extremely rewarding. I also had the opportunity to do some days at the mental health placement which was rewarding and massive thanks to seth for setting that up for me. I have made friendships and created memories that I know will last a lifetime. All the staff at Pmgy do an amazing job at making everyone feel welcome and comfortable as though the volunteer house is our second home. I can't thank the Pmgy uk team and the Ghana team enough for welcoming me into the Pmgy family and making my time here the best it can possibly be. I will, without a doubt be using Pmgy for my travels in the future. Thank you guys for everything.

Samuel

Grateful for Ghana

Visiting Ghana has been the most surreal experience. I spent 8 weeks here in the volunteer house, and despite on the odd occasion when I thought 2 months was too long, I wouldn't have changed it for the world. Excuse the cliche, but I really have made friends for life from the people I've met whilst in Ghana.

I cannot thank the PMGY staff enough for their endless work in keeping us fed, comfortable and happy for the duration of our stay. Whether it be first thing in the morning, or late at night, they are always there to help us and answer any and all questions we have. Without these wonderful, beautiful people my experience here wouldn't have been the same.

At the head of the staff is Seth with Florence at his side, however there are other members of staff that often go unappreciated. Dennis is a hard worker, and practical joker. He'll help you with anything you ask, and he is an excellent representation of the PMGY Ghana Team. Next are the ever present Christy and Cindy. These ladies work non stop. They're up at the break of dawn, preparing us breakfast and a take away lunch from 5am. They work throughout the day to clean up after us messy volunteers, and maintain a home whilst we're at placement. They then serve us plentiful meals in the evening. They keep spirits high with their giggling and contagious smiles. Without these two ladies, we'd be helpless. I have worked alongside Florence from day one being as she works at the school herself. I have never met someone so determined to help make a difference. I don't know where she finds the energy, but the woman remains enthusiastic with bundles of energy from the early mornings right through to late at night. PMGY Ghana are lucky to have Florence with the work rate she has. She is like the mother of the house, which is a wonderful characteristic of hers, meaning the volunteers feel comfortable to talk to her about any and all issues. Seth is the best coordinator we could have asked for. The words 'stop, and 'relax do not apply to him. If he's not taking us volunteers on trips, he's travelling down to Accra to pick up the new volunteers, and he's always on hand and easy to contact if we have any problems/questions.

I remember being asked in my first few days of arriving in here, 'why did you choose Ghana?', and to be completely honest I couldn't give and answer I was proud of. However, despite me not being answer that question 8 weeks ago, I can now confidently say why YOU should come to Ghana.

To the PMGY staff, the children of Divine International, and more importantly to Ghana, Diolch. Thank you. Medaase.

Unconditional love, Sir Yaw Sam

Group activities in the evening to integrate the new group with the existing group of volunteers.
Ffion

Ghana

I spent four amazing weeks in Ghana, and honestly can say it was one of the best experiences of my life. I mainly did the school project however was very lucky and was able to spend a few days observing in the hospital. The team in Ghana are outstanding, Seth will always to his best to help you in what ever worries/problems you have. Cindy and Christie (the two cooks/cleaners) and Florence (education coordinator) are the most hard working amazing people I have ever met and they are not just staff members to me I would consider them family. The house was cleaned head to toe every morning by cindy and Christie and bins were changed most days. There was plenty of food at all times and if we ran out they would always make more and if you didn't like what was being served they would offer to make something else for you. There were children just outside the house that used to come and play it's really lovely to spend some time with the local children after placement. The local children never were aloud into the house to play just because of safety really but volunteers would take out things to them like bubbles, balls and colouring. There were plenty of comfy sofas and chairs around for everyone to sit down and either watch tv or plan lessons or just talk to one another after placement! Teaching at the school was incredible, I felt it was well organised and an amazing experience that everyone should get the chance at.

The only improvements I can suggest is better beds and a better fridge although they were more than okay, just feel they could be improved.
Angharad

Ghana 2017

In July/August I spent three weeks of my holidays volunteering in Ghana with PMGY and what a memorable experience I had. From the time that I booked my trip in the UK to the time that I left for the airport to come home, I can truly say that the oganisation and support from all members of staff was great. I had the most rewarding and wonderful three weeks working in the orphanage where I have gained a different perspectivie on life. Working with children who are less fortunate than us in the UK has been overwhelming and has changed me as a person. Along with the orphanage I was allowed to work at the school and see all the hardwork Florence has done since being there.She is an inspiration and her passion for her job and the children inspired me along with other volunteers to help transform the nursery. I thorougly enjoyed this project and the transformation brought smiles to many faces.

Being in a house with great people made the experience even more enjoyable. I've created some great friendships and hopefully we will stay in contact. Seth's motivavtional attitude and humorous personailty succeded to make me smile and laugh throughout the three weeks and he's a brilliant coordnator. Also Dennis and the kitchen staff are fantastic and provided us with some tasty meals.

I highly reccomend this trip/company to future volunteers. I was sad to see my trip come to an end but the memories I have created will remain in my heart forever. Thank you PMGY for a trip of a lifetime. Hopefully I will be back soon :)

Thomas

Ghana 2017 - Medical programe

I'm just finishing up four weeks doing the medical volunteering here in Ghana with PMGY. It's been absolutely incredibly and I can't believe I'm saying it but even after our weeks I wish I was staying longer. I've had just such a great time here and what really made it was the people. Everyone in the house has been just such a pleasure to live with, volunteers and those working with PMGY. The medical volunteering was incredibly interesting and you really were able to get some hands on experience in all the different departments of the hospital that would really be hard to access so easily at home. Here in Kumasi I did everything from ultrasounds, to carrying out HIV and Malaria testing in the laboratory, to helping take vitals and take bloods in Emergency to even acting as an extra set of hands during Surgery. I've found the whole experience hugely beneficial for myself.
The UK team were incredibly helpful during the contact period as I wasn't able to come on set dates due to family commitments and was worried about some of the issues about that but Josh and the team smoothed all my worries away with a short bit of correspondence and sorted everything for me so I was able to get here okay. I couldn't be more grateful.
The staff here in Ghana were something else, within a week I'd felt like we'd been friends for years, they made me feel so at home and they're mostly the reason I'm sorry to go. Seth and Florence were really proactive in helping you to give back to the communities around here if you wanted to and it was nice to feel like I was a part of something that was actively improving the lives of people in the area. The other volunteers really do bring out the best in you and I found myself incredibly inspired by their selflessness and thoughtfulness, and the staff here were really good at helping you direct that charity to ensure it helped as much people a possible.
Even though I did Medical volunteering I was also able to take part in the Teaching program some days and visit the school and the kid there are something else. They're absolutely amazing and were another contender for my favourite part of Ghana. Just seeing how much PMGY improved the school in the few week I was here wasa incredible, we completely renovated two rooms and had a new playground for the kids fitted and I've never seen gratefulness like what we got from the kids.
I felt really safe during my time here, granted I didn't go out too much at night but I felt very secure and at ease when taking long journeys and doing stuff by myself during the day (granted, I am a 6"3 man in his twenties but still). That's parially just due to the local people as well, most I encountered were just so friendly and would always greet you with a smile if you smiled first.
I couldn't recommend PMGY more and I already have suggested it to the 3 friends back home who've snapchatted me asking about my stay. I've enjoyed my time here immensely and my four weeks here have really blown my expectations out of the water. Medaase guys.

Maybe just more detailed day plans upon arrival?
Barbara

Ghana- Orphanage Project

I have spent the most amazing 4 weeks in Ghana volunteering at the children's home. From the very start, I have received the help and support form the UK Plan My Gap Year team, when it came to finalising the trip like the visa application etc. When I arrived in Ghana I was picked up by the local team, I felt same and comfortable from the beginning, we travelled to Kumasi on the next day. When I arrived at the house everyone including other volunteers and the PMGY's staff were very welcoming and helpful. On the orientation day, we were taken to our placements and had everything explained for us, like what our days are gonna look like, how we get to the placement etc. I couldn't enjoy the time at the placement more than I have, I enjoyed every bit of it, whether it was playing with the kids, changing them, feeding or helping with everyday tasks such as washing and drying clothes. I think that being able to experience all of it, was one of the best opportunities that I had, and I couldn't be more grateful for it. All of the staff at the house are amazing, and are working really hard to do their best and help volunteers whenever they need them. Seth, Florence, Dennis, Cindy and Christy deserve a huge thank you from all of the volunteers. I would recommend this amazing experience to anyone!

David

3 Week Medical Project Review

From stepping out of the airport, you're immersed in this amazing culture that is unlike any other country I've traveled to. The country is vibrant with each tro tro journey providing a different spectacle each time. The locals are very friendly and approachable, especially all the kids who will always smile and wave at you and shout "obroni" (or "chinaman"). The kids really do make you smile and vice versa. If you also want to be proposed to, Ghana is the country for you.
I did the medical project during the morning and managed to see births in Maternity, caesarean sections in Theatre and get hands on in the Emergency Ward. The doctors are happy to teach you and let you do basic things like vitals etc. if you're proactive and ask them to, although do sometimes offer a bit too much with suturing for example. A definite highlight were the 12 hour night shifts we got to do, where you can help out a lot and I would make sure to do one whilst in Ghana. The hospital is vastly different to UK ones as expected, so allows an interesting comparison in equipment and approach to healthcare.
In the afternoon we'd go to the school (not the orphanage) which was always something to look forward to as the kids will all remember you and get extremely excited to play. I enjoyed getting to help teach them things like English and maths and that is definitely the impact you can make on the medical project, once you realize how hard it is to teach things like simple multiplication and their lack of simple things like pen and paper.
The rest of the time is what you make of it, as there's many places to visit and people to talk to. The staff really do put in the effort for you for a smooth and comfortable trip. I personally once never felt unsafe, even travelling alone for the day around the city.
My trip ended with an incredible Mole Trip with some spectacular sights, which also emphasized how close you become with fellow volunteers, this does lead to emotional Sundays when volunteers come and go. It may not be for everyone but when it is right for you, it is an unforgettable experience of a lifetime of which I'm sad I was only there for 3 weeks, but unbelievably grateful it happened and looking forward to future trips now.

Just that people have the knowledge and maybe photos of the rooms and house facilities before coming, along with a normal daily timetable so people know what to look forward too.
Charlie

Medical Placement

I have just got back from a month away on the medical placement. I have had a lot of fun and made friends that I'll keep for a life. The UK team was really helpful and always answered my questions really quickly. Cindy and Kristy are amazing at doing all the cooking and cleaning and the food they serve is always amazing. Florence is brilliant at her job and is always there for a chat. Dennis and Seth are so funny and really helpful if you need anything. I never once worried about my safety in Ghana and I always felt safe and looked after whether it was in the house or whilst we were out and about. I am so glad I went and got to meet some amazing people that I will share an experience with for life.

Lauren

Life changing experience

I spent a month in Ghana doing the teaching project and also the orphanage project. I have had the best 4 weeks of my life. I had the pleasure of meeting so many amazing people. The children brought me so much happiness and joy. In the school, they are so motivated and interested to learn which makes it a lot more enjoyable. Seeing the transformation of the nursery class while I was there and the smiles of the children when they entered their new classroom, is something I'll remember forever. In the orphanage, the children are just amazing. They appreciate everything you do for them no matter how big or small. Even by just colouring a picture with the children, can make their day. The children in both the school and the orphanage are so warm and welcoming, you're always greeted with a smile and a hug every morning! I have formed so many close bonds with people and have made friends for life in Ghana. You become so close to the other volunteers and I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to share my experience with. The staff in the house are fantastic. I've never met such passionate and hard working people. If ever you needed help with anything or even just wanted a chat, they are always there to help you no matter what and will always make time for you. They make you feel so at home and are extremely supportive. The UK team are also very supportive as they're always there to help you with any questions or issues you may have. I had no safety issues in Ghana at all. I was a bit nervous about safety at first but I felt more safe in Ghana than I do at home. The locals are the friendliest people you'll ever meet. You're given so many opportunities in Ghana that most people will never get the chance to experience. I'm so sad to be leaving and I'm already looking at flights to come back. My experience has been life changing and I'd 100% recommend PMGY Ghana!

I would recommend maybe getting more metal bunk beds and possibly for the bathroom situation to improve. More group communication would be useful too in the evenings so everyone can talk about their day☺️
Gabriella

PMGY Ghana 2017

I have just spent the past 4 weeks in Ghana. I completed a mixture of the medical and teaching project. The medical project was amazing. I learned so much and got some hands on experience that I wouldn't have been able to get at home. It's also amazing to see the different health care system over there. I really enjoyed the medical project but I loved the teaching project.
I didn't think I would enjoy teaching as much as I did. The children at the local school are all so eager to learn and it's just completely different to home. It's also so reward to teach a lesson and to be able to help struggling children understand.
The staff are all amazing. Cindy and Christie do an amazing job with the cooking and cleaning. They aren't given enough credit. Flo knows everything and can help with any problems or queries anyone has. Of course there is Dennis as well who can take you anywhere and will do anything you ask of him. Then lastly Seth, the project wouldn't be the same without Seth. He puts so much work into each project and ensures we get on well and that everything runs so smoothly.
The safety was also perfect. There wasn't a single time where I felt worried about my safety. Ghana is a lovely country and the people are all so welcoming. The volunteer house is also nice and private and safe.
I would recommend PMGY Ghana to friends as it was the experience of a lifetime that I am so grateful for.

Alana

PMGY Ghana April-May 2017

I spent 4 truly amazing weeks in Ghana, and there wouldn't have been a better company to go with than Plan My Gap Year! I am so grateful I got to go as it was the best thing I have ever experienced.
I went to Ghana with a friend from school, it was really lovely getting to endure this opportunity with a friend and didn't make my first trip alone as daunting. However the team and all the other volunteers are so welcoming and friendly that going alone would be just as good, we were greeted with happiness and excitement at the airport and welcomed like family as soon as we stepped into the volunteer house.
I spent my time in Ghana volunteering in the orphanage, the first day we were greeted by many hugs and smiles, the children were so happy to see us each day and we were so happy to see them as well. Getting to spend so much time playing and helping with the children was so positive. The majority of my time was spent in the home unit and the nursery block where the bonds formed with these children were incredible, we got to help out with day to day childcare and washing of the clothes, each day we went staying till so late as we didn't want to leave we got to put the children and babies to bed which was always peaceful at the end of a long day. Taking the kids into the sensory room so they could play, paint, read and make music was my favourite part of the day as they looked so happy to get in and play with anything they could get hold of.
My birthday was in my first week of being there, and i will never forget it. Seth bought me a cake and the older boys helped organise a party with the kids, they all sang happy birthday to me on the stage in English and Twi and it was the sweetest!
The team in the house work so hard, and always make sure everyone is safe and is having the best time possible, they cannot be thanked enough for everything they do, it is always appreciated! The food was delicious, and we were never left hungry. Seth even went out of his way every Thursday to introduce us to the nicest spring rolls in Ghana!
The weekend trips were really well organised and so fun, getting to see more of Ghana and the culture.
The hardest thing about going to Ghana was leaving and saying goodbye to everyone, definitely want to come back! If i could change one thing about my time in Ghana it would be to go for longer as it went so quickly and I didn't want to leave. I would recommend PMGY Ghana to everyone! Thankyou so much, my heart will always be in Ghana X

Chloë Christie

My Ghana Experiance

I have just returned home from 2 weeks in Ghana, taking part in the teaching project. I can honestly say that it was the most influential 2 weeks of my life, and I regret not staying longer.
The school has changed how I view education greatly. These kids are so excited to learn, especially about where the volunteers are from! They are incredibly smart and want to show you their work, and will drag you into their classroom so they can test their English.
The PMGY staff are very helpful and supportive, both the UK team and Ghana team. I was apprehensive prior to travelling due it being my first time travelling alone, and the UK team were always quick to respond to any questions I had. Regarding the Ghana team, they become more like your friends than staff. I would have late night chats with Dennis out on the porch, and Seth would crack my back and give me the best hugs, and Florence would get us all up and dancing and singing. If you had any issues with anything - Ghana or home related - you could go to any of them and they would help out and be as supportive as possible. You will also make life-lasting friendships with the other volunteers.
Ghana was surprisingly more safe than I thought it would be. We travel by ourselves to and from placements so you get used to not wearing a seatbelt. Even if you got lost travelling in the trotro,the locals would happily point you in the right direction. Although, if you any issue with strangers touching you, I don't think Ghana would be the best PMGY destination. Ghanians like the look of white and light hair, and will grab and stroke you as you walk past. I would definitely recommend Ghana otherwise though. I'm already planning my trip to Ghana.

More organization/information given to volunteers regarding arriving in Kumasi bus station and returning to the airport.
Andrew

Teaching placement review

I've just returned from 5 weeks in Ghana. It was a brilliant experience and it was shared with an amazing group of people. Having not travelled to Africa before, I was apprehensive about safety but this never became an issue. I always felt safe and comfortable when going around Kumasi. I spent the majority of my time teaching at the school. It was an incredible journey from the first day to the last. Seeing the kids' eagerness to learn was so refreshing and it was so rewarding watching them progress in my time there. It was such a good feeling when I managed to get them to understand something when they were struggling. All of the staff in Ghana do a fantastic job. They make every volunteer feel welcome and they all try so hard to make it a fun and enjoyable experience. My time in Ghana with PMGY was a truly unforgettable experience and I would recommend it to anyone who's thinking of going.

I have very few complaints about my program but there a few hings that i feel could be improved upon. Although it is very reasonably priced when compared to other organisations that offer similar projects, I was sometimes hard to see where the money went towards. I'm not saying that it wasn't value for money but I think that it would put people's mind at ease if they knew exactly what their money went towards. The volunteer house only has one toilet/shower which is shared between 20-25 people at peak times. This can sometimes be a problem but I more often found that it was ok.

About Plan My Gap Year

Plan My Gap Year (PMGY) is an award-winning international volunteer placement organisation based in the UK. We provide the worlds most affordable, need-driven and supportive short-term volunteer programmes across Africa & Asia. Our programmes start...