Plan My Gap Year - Volunteer in Ghana from $375

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Plan My Gap Year has decided to pause some of their upcoming programs temporarily and may be offering flexible booking options as well. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

local kids
Before
Before
After
After

PMGY offers 2-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in the ancient capital of Kumasi. Volunteers get involved in a wide-range of project work including childcare, English teaching, medical electives, mental health & psychology and working with special needs children.

Our programmes in Kumasi run throughout the year. We have two start dates every month so you decide when you go and how long you go for.

• Most Affordable – PMGY’s programs are accessible to everyone who wants to make a difference, through low fees and high-impact projects.
  • Best Support – Our international and local teams provide extensive around the clock services to assist you every step of your PMGY adventure.
  • Safety Prioritised – With safety a PMGY number-1 priority, we have taken all necessary precautions to ensure our programs are as safe and structured as possible.
  • Extraordinary Experiences – With PMGY, you have the opportunity to truly immerse yourself in amazing cultural and travel experiences, ensuring you leave with unforgettable memories.
  • Friendships for Life – Your PMGY experience not only opens up a doorway for new experiences and exciting memories, but also life-long friendships when meeting new people from around the world.

Popular Programs

ghana-childcare

Brighten up the lives of vulnerable children in Ghana and make a vital and important contribution to their daily lives.

ghana-teaching

Help young children develop the skills that will help improve their future job prospects. Teach a variety of subjects such as English, Maths and Art.

ghana-medical

A fantastic opportunity to gain experience and insight into the health care system. Learn from local staff and get involved in supporting them.

africa-encounter

Spend a life-changing 6, 9 or 12 weeks of volunteering across the world’s second-biggest continent in Ghana, fascinating Tanzania & epic South Africa!

• Program Selection 10
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 10
  • Impact on Student 10
Savannah

Journey of a lifetime

PMGY Ghana has been my favorite adventure so far. I Traveled to Ghana in May of 2019 alone at 21, It was scary but rewarding to all ends. I participated in the Medical program hoping to gain experience from the hospitals and from day one i was allowed to get hands on. An outreach program was set up and we tested a local school group for malaria. I spent 30 days in the country with the most amazing staff and a great group of volunteers that I can now call lifelong friends. Thorough every challenge I faced in the country the support of the staff was there, the nightly activities are so much fun from dance parties with the local kiddos, learning to balance objects on your head, game night , etc. The food adjustments was the hardest thing I faced, The food is all good but proportions are smaller than usual and if you are staying for a long time the meal change on a daily basis but not weekly so be prepared for that. Everything else was transparent in the handbook so read that clearly! Take the leap to ghana!

Anything that you would want changed with the program is just ghanian culture like the food or water shortages etc and shouldn't be changed or couldn't.
Milly

Disabled Children Project

Living in Ghana has been the most incredible experience of my life. One I will never forget.

I planned on going to Ghana for two months but after two weeks I knew I wanted to stay. With assistance from the UK team they made everything so easy and I ended up staying for five months (If I had the money I would have stayed another 5!)

As soon as I got there I felt so welcome. The staff make you feel like part of the family and they go above and beyond to do everything they can for you. Especially Flo, Dennis, Ruby, Rosemary and Mercy.

I felt confident enough to travel to and from placement on my own. Working at Kumasi Children’s home was amazing. I loved being able to make a small difference in the children’s lives everyday.

I would recommend this trip to everyone. Go into it with an open mind, embrace the culture and the differences, talk to people, try the food and learn the language.

I feel so lucky to have had this experience. Ghana made my heart so full and I miss it every day. I had so many opportunities and made friends for life.
I can’t wait to go back.

My advice is to try everything. Try the food, speak the language get to know the locals. Everyone is so friendly so don’t be shy.
Embrace the cultural differences and enjoy every day.
There are also things you might find overwhelming or hard to accept such as the everyday struggles people face. But you also have to remember you can’t help everyone. So do what you can, small things like shopping local can make a big difference to people.
Emily

Amazing Experience!

I volunteered in Ghana for three weeks. And I wish I could've stayed much longer! The locals in the community and especially at the volunteer house were beyond welcoming. The volunteer house was comfortable and clean. It began to feel like home very quickly. The PMGY workers provided a family-like environment. They encouraged discussions about anything and everything. If something confused you or made you feel uncomfortable someone was always there to talk to you about it.
Placement was usually early in the morning and usually you could leave whenever you were ready to. The kids at the orphanage were adorable and full of smiles. At times it was exhausting and difficult to know the kids didn't have a family, but being able to give them basic attention was satisfying. I quickly fell in love with them and sincerely wanted to adopt all of them. I also went to the school and helped in a classroom for a few days. The students were eager to learn and loved playing with the volunteers.
The weekends were for relaxing, free time, or going on the PMGY weekend trips. I did both Mole and Cape Coast and I recommend both of them. It was a neat way to see different parts of Ghana.
Ghanaian culture is completely different than American culture and it was very refreshing. Going into the trip with an open mindset is the best thing to do. The way they view time, humor, basic conversations and life overall can be surprising, but as you adjust it's easy to fall in love with their way of life.
Overall, it was a mind opening experience that I will never forget!

Be completely open minded! Remember that Ghanaian culture is different and no particular culture is superior. Don't act out on something that bothers or surprises you in a dramatic way. That would be like someone coming to your country or house and acting as if you lived a horrible life.
Amy

3 Weeks just wasn’t enough!

3 weeks just wasn’t enough, if I had it my way I would have stayed for 3 months!! I always find it hard to explain how the trip was because as amazing as it was, it breaks my heart seeing how most families live. It really does put into perspective how lucky we really are.

The PMGY team in Ghana are absolutely wonderful... even Dennis who only says a few words😂

My advice for future volunteers, If you want to go out and help people and make a difference this programme and organisation is for you! If you want a party trip to get drunk every night, Benidorm or Ibiza is for you. Grab every experience you can whilst being out there, at the end of the day, you paid money to HELP and that is what is expected of you when you go out there.

The program itself, I think it should start venturing out into more countries!
Olivia

Highly Recommend!

Whilst in Ghana, I spent two weeks volunteering at the local hospital, Manhyia Government Hospital in Kumasi. This trip was the first time I had ever done something like this and travelled alone, however PMGY made me feel completely safe and gave me support from the start, even from booking to after I had arrived home. Any worries, problems or queries I had regarding my trip were quickly answered by the amazing pre-departure team. PMGY allowed me to experience so many amazing new things and gave me the opportunity to work and learn about Ghanian healthcare.

I was able to shadow in the Operating Theatre and watch numerous cesarians and complex surgeries as well as viewing Ultrasounds in the scan room, and learn about neonatal care. Whilst the role was mainly observational, all of the staff at the hospital were incredibly kind and extremely willing to teach us and get us involved in the project.

Whilst living in the country, you will stay at the volunteer house with the other volunteers and you are looked after by the staff. The people I met were some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, and we are already talking about all returning together in the near future. Furthermore, the staff at the house really go out of their way to make you feel so at home and comfortable. The project exceeded my expectations in every way possible.

Each of the projects are well worth doing and incredibly rewarding! To anyone considering participating in one of Plan My Gap Year’s programmes, I would highly recommend and jump at the opportunity. Thank you PMGY!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
As this was my first time travelling alone I found it terrifying at the start, but PMGY were there to support me at every step!
Portia

Experience of a lifetime

My time spent volunteering in Ghana was the best 6 weeks of my life. So many unforgettable memories and life long friendship made.

Prior to my departure I received copious amounts of helpful information and my questions were always answered by either Josh, Seth or fellow volunteers. I felt very prepared for my trip thanks to the PMGY team.

The PMGY house in Kumasi is basic but has everything you need. Including some amazing workers who will become your family within a short period of time. I felt very comfortable in the house as all the staff made me feel so welcome and I knew I could go to them if I ever had any questions or needed help. The food was incredible. We got a mix of local and Western dishes. I really enjoyed getting to try the local food.
PMGY coordinators Florence and Dennis were always super helpful when it came to planning things to do on weekends or afternoons, organising transport to and from places and were also great company. They always put your needs before their own and go above and beyond to make sure your experience is incredible.

I spent my time volunteering at the New Life Home which I thoroughly enjoyed. A typical day volunteering involved leaving the house at 6:30am and then getting straight into work once we got to the home. Transport to and from the orphanage was very cheap and easy to get. Once at the orphanage I spent the morning getting the kids changed and ready, I fed them, washed up the morning dishes, also helped with laundry, but most importantly got to spend the day cuddling and playing with the gorgeous children that just adore having someone to play with. These kids stole my heart very quickly. I admire the sisters at the orphanage and feel so grateful for the time and effort they put in to making sure the children get what they need in order to live a normal and happy life.

The weekend trips, Mole and Cape Coast, were definitely well worth the money.
At Mole you got to go on a Jeep Safari as well as a walking safari, which although there wasn't a whole lot of variety in terms of animals it was a fun experience. Beware of the baboons at the national park! They WILL come into your room if the door isn't locked!
We also got to go to Kintampo Falls where we got to swim, which was beautiful and refreshing. Then we went to the monkey sanctuary where you get to hold and feed the monkeys which is super cool.
Cape Coast was more of a relaxing trip but still heaps of fun. The first day we went to Kakum National Park for the board walks, stroked crocodiles, and went to the Cape Coast Castle which was very interesting. The Hide Out Lodge was amazing accomodation right on the beach so you could hear the waves crashing as you fell asleep. On the second day we got to go surfing, the instructors are very helpful. We also had a bonfire and got to sing and dance which was lots of fun.

To everyone considering going to Ghana I highly recommend you do so! The people over there have become my 2nd family and I have taken away so many amazing memories with me. This trip gave me a new outlook on life which I'm so grateful for.
Be sure to make the most of your time in Ghana. Speak to the coordinators to find out how you can get more involved, what you can do in your spare time (I guarantee there is always something), help around the kitchen, get to know the staff and the local families.

Thankyou to PMGY for creating such an incredible experience. One that I will never forget. I will be back Ghana ☺️

I thoroughly enjoyed this program so don't believe anything needs improving. It was an incredible experience and I will definitely be going again
Sarah

Plan My Gap Year is the best! Loved every second.

I had an absolutely incredible time In Ghana with Plan My Gap Year and would recommend this experience and PMGY to anyone and everyone. Philip and Josh in the UK team were so incredibly helpful from moment one. They went out of their way to answer any questions promptly, organise absolutely everything and make the booking process quick and easy. Plan My Gap Year is extremely reasonable with exceptional service. Seth, Flo, Dennis, Prince, Christie and Emmanuel out in Ghana are incredibly friendly, helpful and welcoming. I quickly felt welcomed into their big family. I took part in the medical program and was amazed by all the incredible experiences I had the pleasure of being involved with and observing. I also had the opportunity to help out in an orphanage and on an outreach program where Plan My Gap Year provide medical care to remote villagers who are unable to afford/ access it. I would highly recommend the Plan My Gap Year project in Ghana as the people, food and weather are just fantastic in every way. The people are the most open, fun and kind that I have ever met. This was to date the best experience of my life. I cannot wait to book my next trip. Plan My Gap Year is the best!!

I had an absolutely amazing time, I just wish I could have been there for longer!
Lea

Ghana Orphanage Programme

I stayed in Ghana for 4 weeks on the orphanage programe of PMGY. I am very happy with PMGY, the staff was nothing but supportive and did everything as soon as you asked. They are very friendly and generally awesome people. The housing was absolutely fine as well and I did like the food, although it was starting to get repetetive in the end.
The only issue I had wasnt with PMGY but with the attitude of the locals. THey dont care about the children and their goal is basically to do as little work as possible, so they often wont let the kids play outside, because they might get dirty and things like that. But because of that the children appreciate you even more and you can really make them feel loved.
I would go abroud with PMGY again!

I was completely satisfied with PMGY