Most Affordable Volunteer Programs In India From $134

Most Affordable Volunteer Programs In India From $134

The organization has been welcoming people from all over the world for many years, more than 4000 since 2006. We offer a range of volunteering options such as Street Children Education, English Teaching at Government Schools, Orphanage Work, Women Empowerment and others.

We also provide the unique combination of doing meaningful volunteering work and exploring the country in weekends. We have created 3-6 week special programs that include various travel activities, including a camel safari, tiger safari , trekking to the Himalaya, and visits to Agra, Pushkar, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Dharamshala, Ranthanbhore and more!

• World's Most Affordable & Safe Volunteer Programs !
  • Experience: We have 10 years of experience running our volunteer program successfully in India.
  • Safety: We have full time staff close by in our volunteer placements.
  • Flexibility: You can choose your own start date and end date!
  • Meaningful: You will experience worthwhile and fulfilling volunteer projects serving our local society.
Asia » India » Jaipur
1 Year+
Pickup from Jaipur International Airport
Program orientation
Extensive information prior to arrival
Accommodation (sharing)
Lunch & Dinner
Placement and assistance in work area
Daily Transport to program site
All program relevant materials
24x7 In-house wi-fi internet
All taxes and bank charges

Shreyl
Peru

Student Internship in North India

The course that I did in my internship was pretty enjoyable and would help me to carry ahead in my professional career. I got to know how to implement my gathered skills practically and see the real outcomes from them. It gave me the courage to be bold enough and confident so that I can converse with professionals with full confidence. It was a real boost and stimulated my intellect to the next level.

I can surely recommend their services to anyone. Amazing services guys! I went to the student internship in North India and trust me, and really learnt a lot about the country too. It’s an awesome country with diverse cultures yet unity in all.

I found them brilliant in giving support to the students coming from overseas.

Fajer

University Group trip to India

Sankalp Volunteers
Introduction

I am Fajer Ben Naser, a graduate from the American University of Kuwait 2015.
For as long as I remember, I have admired being a leader in volunteering and not only wanted to change the lives of people who are less fortunate, but mine, and those around me to take a step up, leave their comfort zone, and experience the real world.
Experiencing the real world doesn’t come naturally, by traveling the world, living in luxurious hotels and learning about cultures. Its living the culture, wearing their clothes, eating their food, showering with a bottle of water, not having a choice of whether to walk, hop on a tuk-tuk or a camel’s hump.
Those are the moments we refuse to forget and taught us a lesson, that what we have can be gone at any moment, and what we think we need are just “wants” that make us see life way more complicated than it is.

I have organized several trips with my university, and my aim was that after I graduate, I would see those who took part, continue and take on my path to create future youth volunteers. I successfully did. Sankalp volunteers were our starting point. After having assured everyone’s safety and good time, volunteering trips became an annual part of our university’s good cause initiative.
Sankalp Volunteers 2013, Jaipur

To sum up all of our experiences in a nutshell, the trip to Jaipur India with Sankalp Volunteers in 2014 was unforgettable; it changed each and every one of us as individuals and group leaders, and brought us close together. As most of us travelled not knowing anyone in the group, we became a close group of friends that went on several other trips representing our University after India was the first for most of us.

Flashing back through the memories, describing our experience gets me lost out of my excitement. To start off, we were a group of 20 students around the age of 18-23 both males and females. As we arrived at Jaipur’s airport early in the morning, we were very warmly welcomed by Pranay, Sankalps Director who picked us up on time with a tour bus as promised. Amita, welcomed us at the Sankalp’s housing with warm greetings and some snacks before going down to the basement to have an introductory session.

We all felt safe, as we went into the house, not knowing what to expect, it was exactly what we saw in pictures, no disappointments, three floors, and a basement. In fact it has a very cozy living room, which was our lunch area and a rooftop terrace for us to chill at night.
Volunteering experiences

The volunteering programs differed. We had a choice of going to the orphanage (girls only), teaching and playing with the street kids at a local school run by Sankalp Volunteers, and lastly, teaching at government schools some English and math, all very basic, nothing to worry about. As the number of volunteers in each area varies, we divided ourselves into groups as Amita explained that once we chose a place to volunteer, we could not change it later. At first, we wanted to try volunteering in all three places and be able to rotate. But after volunteering for 10 days, we understood why that was a rule, and thankfully we sticked to it. Going to the same place and spending hours with the same kids allowed us to grow a connection between them and us that both of us needed. We learned what our weaknesses are and tried working on that, and the kids wanted some older people to look up to, and not just visitors.

Briefly, for all three areas, we woke up early in the morning where a car arranged by Sankalp took and to and from the orphanage, or Schools. After that we’d come back home where we’d find our vegetarian lunch prepared and then rest and explore the city together. Indeed, the food was very clean and healthy, no one got sick or tired as there was enough provided for everyone. One rule is to always drink from bottled water, that’s it.
The orphanage

The orphanage was a tough task, as the people who volunteered there wanted to take another step forward, having previous volunteering experiences before. It taught us girls how to become mothers, and appreciate our families. We went in in the morning seeing how the kids all share a few beds to sleep on, some disabled kids with no wheelchairs or aid, children crying and fighting over what clothes to wear as they shared everything. They had no sense of belonging to a place, nor a thing.
We tried to create an enjoying atmosphere. You’d think its easy to sing, dance and play, what else would make kids happier? Here, we understood the difference; the street kids and school kids were fine with those simple acts, but not the orphans. Too much emotional energy was required, but in the end we did it. After the first week, the kids began to realize that we’re not like any visitor coming for a day or two to sit around, since unfortunately, they had no official “teacher” or “guardian”. We helped them shower and change and play old school games.
If you’re looking for something very life changing and have experienced volunteering before, this is where you’d love to be. It made us stronger.

Street kids and Government schools

Here too, so much patience is required. Kids coming up to you so excited and shouting around a class of around 40 kids is hard to handle. You don’t just want to teach them and leave; you want to make sure they understand the lesson, as if you’re their teacher. Its your responsibility now. Making sure all of your group members abide to the rules and regulations of Sankalp and the school and act as adult leaders is necessary because these kids look up to us as foreigners.
The uniform

During our first day at Jaipur, we went to a shopping center to buy local clothing, as it is a must to be wearing while volunteering. For the government schools, it is required by the government and for the rest; we wore it out of respect and the very different culture we were around. It also made us feel very local, and enjoy the experience. Not only that, we all felt safe while wearing local clothing, as it is advised not to wear tight or short clothes.
Daily touring

Clearing our minds and setting ourselves free came at the end of the day after having some rest. We went to a lot of markets around and ate a lot of good food.

Amazing experience, truly one of a kind. This is because the house was really good safe, had good food, Amita and Pranay were always a doorstep away for any help. We also met a few other volunteers who stayed at the house the same time as we did, great opportunity to make connections worldwide!
After volunteering with sankalp volunteers, Amita and Pranay kept us updated about the kids whether they got adopted or graduated from school. We truly feel like we are part of the Sankalp Family. Great efforts Amita and Pranay, well done.

Truly, a place to visit again with a group of friends, school or family.

All the best everyone.
Fajer Ben Naser

Gabrielle
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
University of Cincinnati

School and Orphanage

First off, I want to give Pranay and Amita a huge shout out and thank you two for giving me the opportunity to volunteer in this program.
I had the most amazing experience I have ever had while teaching at the school and working at the orphanage. I made some really good friends with the volunteers who stayed at the house and thought the living arrangement was terrific; better than I expected! I will never forget the undeniably giving people who I worked with.
Finally, I believe that this trip changed my life. I will never be able to go through a day without thinking about the kids I met. I became attached to many of them and built relationships I never thought I'd be able to have. Being able to love someone more than myself has made me a better person and I hope to come back to see the kids again.
I would recommend this trip to anyone looking to build relationships and make changes in a positive way!

Gabrielle

Denille
US

My volunteering experience with Sankalp was amazing and definitely a highlight of mine during my trip throughout S&E Asia. I got every bit of experience I had expected to out of it and this was my first trip to India.

They were very accommodating and as we were planning our visit to Jaipur with their Orphanage work and project for Street Kids. We first heard of Sankalp Volunteer via their facebook page and made contact with them through email. We had flight issues and their flexibility allowed for us to rearrange our dates to stay as well as pick up from the Jaipur airport. The couple who run Sankalp Volunteer that picked us up was shy at first, but of course by the end of the trip they were just like a family member.

The volunteer house simple and authentic, you have rooms with 2 bunk beds which are comfortable for four people. Most of the rooms are located on first & second floor and can be accessed by stairs, they accommodate old age volunteer on ground floor. There a lounge area in the center on every floor. Each room has their own private western toilet/shower room as well as lights and power outlets.

We were fortunate to split our program duration between their Project for Street Kids and Orphanage work. The school for street kids was a 15 minutes rickshaw ride from volunteer house and orphanage situated in city center on 40 minutes rickshaw ride, the good thing is this; the program fees cover all daily transport to project!

Teaching and working in the schools and orphanage gave me so much joy, and taught me to consider a new normal from a child’s perspective. Dressing in a different way, eating different food and even walking down different streets: everything that was completely opposite to the life I knew suddenly presented itself to me, and I had no choice but to accept it. And I loved every second of it.

Approximately $26 USD/day; you get accommodation (sharing rooms) and shower, transportation from the airport, meals, daily transport to projects, 24 hour wi-fi internet access, staff that turn into family, and a beautiful, relaxing place to chill at roof-top.

I highly recommend making Sankalp a part of your Indian adventure!. You won't regret it!!

Andrea
Colorado

Volunteer in India with Sankalp Volunteer Society

I and my friend volunteered with Sankalp through their street children program in Jaipur. The program professionally organized and managed because it is running directly by the people you will stay with, you can see exactly where money is spent. Many other companies/organization charges a lot but here program cost considerably lower than what is available in your home country. When we arrived I didn't know what to expect and I have only been pleasantly surprised. The volunteer house is fantastic, it is not glamorous but it is cozy and welcoming and it really feels like home. The Team is so helpful and really gives you a sense of comfort and security while you are here. We took a few of their organized excursions during our volunteer time. It is very nice to have everything planned for you; we didn't have to worry about a thing. We saw some great things here and the chance to really live in another city. Working with the street kids is something I will never forget. they are so eager and bright they are a blast to teach. Also seeing the spirit and generosity they have towards one another is really something to be inspired by. I recommend this program to everyone as Sankalp provides great volunteer opportunities in India :)

Danielle
London

Summer Volunteer Program in India with Sankalp

I have been in summer volunteer program with Sankalp. I would recommend this program if you are looking to help with some great social project combined with some travel to best part of amazing India !

No curfew at 9:00 pm please !!! However I know this house rule is completely for volunteer's safety and security !!

Rebecca
California
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Spiced up my study abroad

I went on a month long trip with Sankalp to Jaipur while on spring break from studying in England. The program was fantastic. I was picked up at the airport and driven to the house where the volunteers stay. The house is great (by Indian standards... don't expect suburban America) and the staff was lovely.

Day to day life included getting up early to go to work at the orphanage, then ending the day at noon and going straight home for lunch (amazing food cooked by the house mother). In the afternoon we had free time to explore the markets, museums, parks, etc. You need to be back at the house by sundown for safety reasons. Dinner is cooked for you and getting to know the other volunteers was a highlight of the trip. I never felt trapped inside or anything after dark. There's a TV / living room upstairs so most of the volunteers and the house mother congregated there in the evening.

On the weekend there are trips to other parts of the region. I went to Agra one weekend, and Ranthambore another. There is a private driver (commonplace in India) who drove us around, and the hotels you stay in are great. The activities were well planned and very fun.

The best part about this program is that 1) it's sustainable travel. The money you spend will stay with the locals. And 2) you get to experience Indian culture first hand. The staff are ALL locals. You will be a tourist, but you will engage and learn from true Indian culture. You will almost surely have culture shock. But you'll come away changed. I adored my experience with Sankalp.

I wish there had been a more in-depth orientation when I arrived. I got about 30 minutes of one-on-one introduction to India and Indian culture. If I'd known there would be so little orientation, I might have read up more before I went. Either way though, my experience was still great.

Do you want to explore the world and do something meaningful at the same time? Then you should consider participating in one of the volunteer and travel programs of Sankalp Volunteer.

Sankalp Volunteer offers various low cost volunteering options in India. Our main projects are