Volunteer Work With Elephants

Volunteer Work With Elephants

Volunteer Work With Elephants. Volunteers required to do care and help work for Elephants and their mahouts at one of the Elephants Camp in India. For a long time now all the elephants located in Jaipur have not been living together. Every day, in the morning, the elephants in the city give tourist rides to Fort Amber. But this is tough for mahouts as well as elephants because there is a long distance to walk to the fort. In 2005 the Government of Rajasthan, India, has allotted a place in the area, 30 hectares of land near Jaipur, a place called Elephant Village. It has stable blocks for each elephant, it has housing for the animals; it also has a big man-made lake where the elephants can swim and get thoroughly washed after a day spent in the heat and dust.

Asia » India » Jaipur
Asia » India
Guesthouse
$340 for 1 Week in Total & $160 per week thereafter. No Application Fees required.
What is included: Arrival pickup from Jaipur, Program relevant materials, Accommodation in India Host Family, 3 Meal per day, Project Transportation, Weekend Sightseeings of Pinkcity Jaipur & 24 hours of admin support.
What is not included: Tourist Visa, Flights, Internet, Telephone Calls, Insurance Cover, and Airport Drop off.

Here are the fees for the elephant program (in US $). You can find more information on their website! 1 Week 180 2 Weeks 360 3 Weeks 540 4 Weeks 720 5 Weeks 900 6 Weeks 1080 Extra Week 180

Adrienne
Chicago, Illinois

Loved this!

I actually volunteered twice for the Elephant program, once in 2014, and again in Feb 2015. It is a super fun program that not only gives you a once in a lifetime experience up close and personal with Elephants, but also gives you a window into the life of the people who own and care for these animals and their families.
You can expect to wake up early (4 or 5am.) And take a 20min tuk tuk ride to the Elephant Village. There is some dirty work involved, such as picking up the poop (they give you gloves) and emptying the poop in a field. But the experience is great, the elephants are friendly and love treats such as bananas, apples, oranges...after all your hard work, you'll enjoy a nice cup of chai and a chat with the mahouts. Maybe even an elephant ride or two!
***Be advised going into this program that this is not an Elephant rescue program, or a Elephant Reserve. These elephants WORK. They are used to give tours up to Amber Fort and other places around Jaipur. Sometimes they are used for weddings. Some of these elephants were rescued from circuses or other abusive settings and brought to the elephant village. They still are used for tours however. In this program I can tell you first hand that these elephants are properly cared for. They are provided with veterinarian care regularly (one had an ear infection and was visited by a vet and treated daily with topical ointment as well as antibiotics while I was there.) They are fed properly (probably excessively! They get lots of treats!) and all are provided shelter and bedding to sleep on. They are chained when inside their shelter, and they are chained while you are cleaning up around them. This is for the protection of the people working near them. Although elephants are friendly and peaceful, they are still a huge animal with a lot of power and capable of severe damage, even if it is unintentional. As far as other reports of use of a bull hook go, I have seen a bull hook in one location. I have never seen it used on any of the elephants. None of the elephants I was around ever had wounds indicating bull hook use, or any other kind of abuse. Some of the elephants, that came from previous circumstances, have old scars around their ears and top of their head. These are obviously very old, and have been healed many years. Never have I seen any elephant with any fresh wound anywhere.
Volunteers help in two ways in this program: 1) The fee you pay to do this program goes to help the families who own the elephants, as well as provide food and care for the elephants themselves. These families are poor. The elephant tours are their sole source of income for many of them. Some of them can hardly afford to feed themselves, let alone an elephant. This program ensures that the elephant is properly fed, cared for, sheltered, and has access to medical attention.
2) Helping the family clean and take care of the elephant in the morning gives the family extra time to take care of children, spend time together, eat breakfast together etc. before they go out to make their money for the day.
I enjoyed this program so much I came back a year later and did it again. I think it does a lot of good for these people, as well as the elephants. But if you're looking for an experience working at an elephant sanctuary or reserve for rescued elephants, this is not it.

From the other reviews I've read on this site and others, perhaps being more clear that these are working elephants, and not an elephant rescue sanctuary, would help clear up misunderstandings people are having beforehand. However, things were clearly explained to me, and I knew what to expect ahead of time.

Linda
Calgary Alberta Canada

Best experience ever!

I traveled alone to India and worked 2 weeks with the elephants in the month of February. It was a life changing experience for sure and I feel blessed to have been able to work so closely with these magnificent animals. Totoram, the tuk tuk driver is a wonderful man who I felt safe with and well cared for. All the employees of VWI made me feel looked after as they checked in with me regularly to see how I was doing. The program is very affordable. The guest house was good. Living there was an authentic Indian experience that I will never forget. Although I am not a morning person, getting up at 0430 hours and being the first person the elephants saw in the morning made my day. I took bananas as a treat so they could start their day off happy. It was pretty cool to see the city come alive during the morning tuk tuk rides. Having the afternoons off to sight see or shop or hang out was perfect. I highly recommend this program to everyone. The work was not hard and the memories will be in my heart forever. Good Job VWI!

It is perfect the way it is but if I could suggest one small thing....to suggest reading material if there is any to learn more about the lives of the elephants and mawohouts and training they have. Too it would have been fascinating to watch them groom teh

Michael
Zurich - Switzerland

An amazing experience.

I was there 1 week in January 2015. Working days started at 5:00am. We cleaned the enclosures and fed the elephants before they went to work. Then we had a nice Masala Tea at the fire. Around 8:30am we were back and the rest of the day was free.
Accommodation with host family was basic but ok. Also food was good.
I hope I can manage to go there again. Would recommend this Project to everyone.

I would have loved to had the possibility to interact more with the elephants.

Response from Volunteering With India

Thank you Michael, We would love to see you back in program soon :)

Elise
Norway

An amazing experience!

We got up every morning at 4.30 and got picked up by the most amazing tuk tuk driver - Totoram. Then we drove for about half an hour to where the six lady elephants were waiting for us to wake them up :) We were back at the guest house around 8.00 every morning, and then we had the rest of the day off (except for two days a week when we went back to work in the afternoon to feed the elephants).

The work was not hard at all, and there was chai time (tea time) almost every 15 minutes :P The animals are huge, and in the beginning I was a little scared, but after the second day I trusted them completely. I also got the chance to "play" a little bit with them by asking the guys who worked with the elephants to teach me how to climb one. That was probably the highlight of the week, along with washing them and riding them.

The family we lived with was also fantastic (they even invited us to a wedding while we were there), but the food could have been better. Sometimes we only got chapati for breakfast, or we didn't get breakfast or lunch at all.

Response from Volunteering With India

Dear Elise,

Thank you for giving us rating in program 10 out of 9 :)
We have dedicated meals time for breakfast/Lunch/Dinner so if volunteers are not there at the house they misses the food. Meals provided by the family is typical Indian Vegetarian. Most of the Indian families eats multiple type of chapati's. In breakfast they serve mix veg paratha ( chapati) :)

Hollie
Oxford, England
University of Chester

I love elephants

I had an great time working with the elephants. Even within the one week they were there we got to know them and their personalities. The mahouts who care for the elephants are all extremely nice and feed you up with chai. Sukret kept in contact with us from the moment we booked the experience right until the very end (we now even have him and Govind on facebook). Our tuk tuk driver was the loveliest man in the world. My friend Megan spilt coffee on herself as we were sightseeing and he pulled over and rinsed her down! The host family were extremely accommodating and made us feel at home. Although while we were there, the daughter-in-law was basically in labour and one of the daughters was getting engaged, so it was a bit hectic.
I can assure you that this project and all the people are legitimate. We have a very near miss. Our driver for around Rajisthan tooko us to who we thought was Sukret, but the guy claimed to be Sukret's cousin. After attempting to take our money several times, we rang Sukret just to double check, and he said he had no idea who that man was and didn't have a cousin that worked at the elephant village. It was a close call!

The only thing that bothered me was that the elephants had scars on their ears from the bull hooks that they use, and some had various other injuries/conditions, that we saw no care for.

Linda
N.Ireland
University College Dublin

Very Professional Program

My son and I were involved in this project for a week .Although this was a relatively short time, we learnt a lot about the daily care of the elephants and were able to build up a good relationship with several of the elephants, especially Rhooba. Although the Mahouts speak very little English, Govind, our Co ordinator, was with us daily to answer our questions and ensure we were still able to interact with the Mahouts and learn a great deal about the life of a working elephant.We were able to feed and bath the elephants daily and make elephant chapatis! The work does begin early, at 5 am but this does mean, the late mornings and afternoons are free to explore. Sukret, Govind and our driver were excellent helping us and providing advice when needed. The program is very professionally run and is to be commended.
People seeking to take part in the project should be aware that these are working elephants and although they are well cared for and have good relationships with their Mahouts, they are chained up for much of the time which does give rise to some welfare concerns. All the elephants were very friendly and showed no sign of depression. They were not over worked and did have regular veterinary care. In February, there are Elephant Games, when the elephants will play games such as football etc.They are trained for a period before this. This would be an excellent time to volunteer!

it would have been wonderful to be involved in training the elephants for the games but the timing was wrong.

NatalieG
Pico Rivera, CA
Cornell University

Lovely time in Jaipur!

This program was really great! I spent a month there this past summer and I learned quite a lot about the elephants in Jaipur and Indian culture. The elephants are wonderful to work with. I loved being able to bathe them in the lake and help the mahouts paint them. It can be difficult seeing the elephants work with such heavy chairs and be chained the way they are. However, you definitely gain perspective after you learn about the elephant culture in Jaipur and learn about how other elephants are treated in other projects. I think the elephants are well taken care of and the mahouts genuinely care about them. My host family was really great too! I had a lot of time to myself, but they were really friendly and helped me with shopping. My room was great and I really liked that I had my own bathroom. I also enjoyed the sightseeing that was organized on the weekends - there are a lot of beautiful, interesting places to see in and around Jaipur. The program staff also helped me plan a trip to visit the Taj Mahal, which was stunning.
Overall, this program was amazing and I hope I can go back one day!

You have to pay for wifi and bottled water. Both are really cheap so it's not a big deal, but it's always nice to know what costs you will come across before you arrive for a program.

Thomas
Berlin

Fantastic Experiance

Doing a Volunteer work with elephants in Jaipur was a wonderful experience.
First of all, thanks to our host family they take care us well. They not only shared incredible love but also very informative, patient and gave us plenty of options during our stay.
At first on our day 1, I must admit I was rather timid around the elephants but after thirty minutes I felt like I had made some new best friends. During our stay my wife, some friends and I learned how to feed the elephants and establish a relationship. Soon, we were doing things I never imagined like bathing and feeding the elephants from close-up.

Doing a care work with elephants isn't just a fun experience but a true bonding experience between you and these wonderful, mysterious animals. Not only do you leave with a greater understanding of the species but an appreciation for mahouts efforts in creating a serene and humane habitat for the elephants. If you're going to India spend at least 1 weeks with them.

Not any!

Grace
Perth Australia
University of Western Australia

Elephants are amazing, host family are a nightmare!

The actual volunteer project working directly with the elephants was amazing! The mahouts are wonderful to talk to and are clearly devoted to their animals. , govind and Raj were fantastic!

However, our group had travelled a lot around India before arriving at the project, and so were familiar with costs and scamming. Our host family at Prity guest house took advantage of the naiivety of the other volunteers and were taking them to shops where they would receive commission for extortionate tourist prices. As well as this, they were charging ALOT for henna, their own clothes and paintings that they were trying to sell the volunteers! They were rude and obviously did not want us in their home.

Overall the project was fantastic, and working with the elephants and their mahouts should not be missed. However, if you are interested in this project, PLEASE request other accommodation, as it ruined our entire experience.

Response from Volunteering With India

Dear Grace,

Thank you for giving us rating in the program. We understand overall your experience in the project was wonderful but only you did not like the host family. We did not have any complains so far for the family and it is the first time we get a bad review for the family. As we recommend all our volunteers if there is any problem between the project please tell us so that we can fix in time. I had also met with your group in 4 times in a week and you did not told me about that. If problems are told us in time; we can fix it. But we consider your review and if in the future found these things we will change the family.

Sukret

Amanda
Cambridge, UK
University of Cambridge

Elephants, samosa parties and chai - Incredible India did not disappoint!

My flight arrived early but within 5 minutes Sukret was there to pick me up. A great Service.

The accommodation was very good, the guesthouse had everything you could need including WiFi internet, space to dry your clothes and a shop nearby that sold everything you would need day-to-day. The food was very tasty, available on demand and plenty of it – there was always the offer of more.

Toteram-ji, the taxidriver, drove me everywhere and he was awesome! I found that most of the time I would get into the tuk-tuk and I didn’t know where I was going but I always went somewhere exciting! I will miss our samosa parties in the tuk-tuk a lot. He was on time, his driving was great and his smiley hallo, good morning! at 4:30 a.m was always much appreciated.

Govind was my project supervisor and he really made my trip amazing. He was very helpful with any questions. I am yet to find one he couldn’t answer. He included me in things outside the project with his friends and family and I loved every minute of it. Sukret was also extremely helpful and answered my questions promptly. He was always around to check everything was ok.

I did the elephant project for 3 weeks. Everyday we left at 4:30 a.m and started by cleaning the elephant enclosure, picking up her poo with your bare hands, washing and scrubbing the elephant, then dressing the elephant ready to go to amber fort. Once the elephants had left we made bundles of food for them to eat later. Some afternoons we would make chappathi’s for the elephants. The mahouts were great fun and I could always get involved with whatever they were doing. The project itself was really enjoyable with a highlight being washing the elephant in the elephant pool on my last morning.

I was bit nervous about going to India with VWI, but there was absolutely no need to be. The staff at VWI was professional, friendly and couldn’t have been more accommodating. They were very inclusive and I really enjoyed getting involved and learning about Indian culture firsthand. I was treated so well – I loved meeting their families and their friends. My sari will remind me of all the great times I spent with them. The sightseeing trips on the weekends were very well organized and included everything. Jaipur is a wonderful city to live in.

I got to experience all the projects offered by VWI; this organization does such a worthwhile job. All projects are well-run and great value for money. All transportation food and accommodation is organized for you, all you have to do is enjoy every minute of the experience, the end of my time in India came a bit too fast.

I would give VWI 10/10, I had an awesome time and want to thank everyone involved. I would highly recommend this company to future volunteers and will come back the next time I am in India.

Originally I thought I wanted to go to India with a larger international organisation so that there would be 10-20 volunteers out on project. I am very glad that I didn't as I definitely feel I got to experience the culture much more this way. But I would say that I would go back to India at a different time of year. When I went on the programme it was mid August (very hot season in India), so there were fewer volunteers.

Next time I would ideally go at a busier time of year for VWI, and also try and plan my trip to be in India over a festival time. I have seen photos of VWI including volunteers during festivals and I would love to experience that!

Justine
Melbourne, australia
La Trobe University

Volunteer Elephant India

Project was good, all mahouts that I worked with were friendly and tried to talk to me even limited English. Elephant work was good. It was good to be up close and personal with the elephants. All were well trained and I felt 100% safe when working closely with them. The Transport was reliable, on time and friendly. Project coordinator Raj was great to show us around and answer our question about elephants, the project, Indian culture. His English is really good which enabled us to communicate with him and the mahouts. Project was great, everything associated with the elephants was amazing, such a great experience.

Nina
perth, australia

Jai Ho! Chai & Elephants

The elephant project is incredible! The mahouts were very friendly and obviously we devoted to their elephants. Being able to wash and bathe the elephants was a highlight! The Project coordinator was amazing , very helpful and lovely to talk to. Totoram was the best driver. He was so friendly and accommodating & took us every morning for chai!
I will be back again with my mother.

Rita
perth, australia

Incredible India & Elephants

The Project itself was very enjoyable. It was cool to get to know the elephant. The work was not too challenging. The Mahouts were friendly and joking with us. Raj the project coordinator was pleasant to have with us. Govind and Sukret were very accommodating too. Totoram the driver was kind and caring and we enjoyed his presence.
Definitely recommend the project.

No critical feedback, only the project starts too early but we can't do anything that's already mentioned before we joined.

Tom
Belgium

Lovely time with Elephants

I had a wonderful time in Jaipur with Elephants. During my 4 weeks of project with VWI i also go to visit some of the beautiful places in Jaipur, Agra, Pushkar & Delhi. Here people are so friendly.

My work with the elephants starts everyday in morning; VWI has dedicated driver which pick me up in time and drop at the project site; there is project coordinator always there which assist me all the work to help mahouts and to care elephants. My work was there to everyday clean the area, wash the elephants, feed them and also go to afternoon to made chapati's. The work environment with the elephants and mahouts is so happy and fun.

The host family is so nice, my room was nice, food was great. I definitely recommend this project for future volunteers.

I did not found any!

carol
Milton Keynes , England

Authentic experience

I went to Jaipur to work with the elephants and what a great experience it was.

If you are looking for an authentic experience then this is the project for you. From the family to the transport it is the real deal.

I was worried as a lone slightly older traveller about how safe I would be. I need not have worried at all, at every stage the organisation exceeded expectations leaving me free to enjoy the experience.

The day starts early and so if you are working with the elephants you have a lot of downtime. It is worth noting here it may be better to do this trip with a friend since I did get a little bored at the house.

Whilst on the trip it was the Holie festival and what fun be aware that you are not told to oil your body before playing so that the powder does not stain. I was bright pink for almost a week!!! Thanks Sukret.

Live a little and go for this adventure.

Shopping was a trial because it seem s to be the aim to get as much out of the tourists as is possible. Be prepared to barter.

The meal times were really random and on more than one occasion we were left wondering if we were going to be fed. Indeed a few times no breakfast or lunch was provided. I would have liked to have set times for meals so that I could work round them.

It is also worth remembering the family are running a business so everything costs.

Response from Volunteering With India

Thank you Carol for giving the feedback and 100% rating. We are sorry about the improper food for the time when you volunteer with us. The reason as you were also aware that the host family brother was died during the time when you were volunteering. This makes them not to provide the meals for volunteers in time for 4 days - As there was a peace time in the family. We are sorry about the issue :(

Tara
Denver, Colorado
Colorado State University

Happiness, Curry and Elephants

I would highly recommend this organization. I did the Volunteer With Elephants program and had a truly amazing experience. I really can't express how it changed my life.

From the moment I got there, and even before arriving, I had support from their staff. They always made sure I had what I needed and was safe..which was very valuable being a woman traveling alone.

They really set you up to be comfortable and the value of having a driver was very nice. The manager/owner of this organization always took the time to take me and see things I would have never known how to find, explain where to go for shopping.

The tour you get at the end is also worth it in itself. I loved spending time with the elephants and everything was hands on.

The town was beautiful and so full of history and character. Lots of sight seeing! Everyday was a new unique experience and I met a lot of really nice people.

The family I stayed with was very hospitable, although the food was a little oily and vegetarian it was really tasty. I had my own room with a shower and always felt welcome. The girls there did Henna for me and even helped me shop for a Sari and local attire.

All in all I had an incredible experience, I would highly recommend this organization as it has a personable and human aspect to it. If you are thinking of going, and have more questions feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Never stop travelling :-)

It is really easy to get taken advantage of their when purchasing items at the market. You really have to bargain and you also get a lot of attention. If you look at is as an adventure though and go in with a good attitude you will be fine. Yes there is poverty and it will smell and you will see things you wish you didn't its all part of the experience.

Michele
Saudi Arabia

Volunteering with the Elephants

Ms by Michele
on December 16, 2012
I would like to pass on what an amazing experience it is in Jaipur with the awesome elephants. I was made to be so welcome by all, from the coordinators to the fab mahouts. Tutarum ji who picked us up from our guest house was a real character and always made sure we found plenty of drinking holes for a lovely cup of real Indian chai, we had chance to go to teach the children at a school. They were such a great bunch of kids, and very clever.I was invited to two weddings and they were very colourful and lively. I didn't have to worry about anything accommodation was seen to and All I had to worry about was getting up on time!!
If I could I would do it all again.
If you love history Jaipur has lots to offer. Thanks Sukret and Govind and Tutarum Ji for making it the best experience ever.....

I would like to have had chance to bathe the elephants at the elephant village, but it was wrong time of year to do this. I guess having more time with the ellies, but being with them early mornings gives you the chance to explore Jaipur and make lots of new friends......

Alex
Perth, Australia

Do it!

Most insane crazy fun filled week of my life! This project is great way to enhance the travel experience- turning it from a self indulge holiday to something where you actually have make a difference in someone life.

Not to mention the amazing side activities like riding elephants, the extreme consumption of chai, feeding monkeys and riding on motorcycles to midnight temples, and attending a 12 hour Indian wedding (If you're lucky!)

If this is your first experience volunteering in another country, VWI is great way to get you started.

We paid alot of money to participate in the program, and only around 5% of it went to the organisation we volunteered with - I would like to see more money go to those who need it.

Sian
London, UK.
University of East London

'haathi' heaven

I spent only one week on the volunteer programme with elephants in Jaipur. However, this proved the most life changing week I think I'll ever experience.

On arrival in Jaipur I was greeted by Sukret at the airport, and transported to the guest house. The host family were so welcoming, and all the food provided was amazing, it was absolutely impossible to go hungry!

Staff at VWI were so friendly and willing to help, and the mahouts despite language barriers were also friendly and supportive, so the whole working experience was made very comfortable.
Myself and another volunteer worked between two villages of elephants, and we also experienced a day at one of VWI's other projects (Children project), which was great and the children were so lovely!

India is a beautiful country, VWI workers were more than happy to show the wonders of the amazing pink city once work was over. At the weekend we visited a traditional Rajasthani village resort called 'Chokhi Dhani'

This project was fun, different and educating. I have recommended this project to many friends, and I hope to return soon to work with VWI again.

It would have been even more fun to share this experience with more volunteers, though I know this is not a factor brought about by VWI.

Response from Volunteering With India

Thanks Sian, You were also a very good volunteer in the Village. We wish you best in your life and Hope to see you soon here with your friends.

Nicoline
Denmark

Summer in India

I spend 4 wonderful weeks working on the elephant project. I had a tough start because there were some problems with my baggage in Delhi airport, But Sukret was very helpful through it all, so no matter what happens, just take it easy, and you are in safe hands. I will admit that I Had times when I just thought that everything was new for me here, it such a big culture difference. I come here for 4 weeks so on my beginning days I learned how to get around the city. The transportation is really cheap in India. I saw the entire tourist place on weekend sightseeing and did a lot of shopping. The staff members were really nice to introduce me for their families and taking me to different places. The work with elephants is amazing. On a normal day I got pick up from the host family at 4:30 a,m and was home again at about 9 p.m. Most of the days I cleaned the elephants area, washed and scrubbed the elephants and made food for them to eat. But I also experience to bath the elephant in the lake ride. Every day you have the program coordinator with you to the project, so you are never alone there is always someone to talk with and to answer your entire question. And that makes feel really safe and comfortable. I had an amazing time volunteering. Definitely a place I would love to visit again. Hard Work but really amazing elephants. All the people whom I met here is very welcoming and sweet. I like to give A Big 9 mark from 10 to VWI. The project Staff members Really great! Could not wished any better. It was great to write with Sukret, and he always answered really fast. I am really picky with food and I don’t like anything spicy, but the family was very nice to make sure there always something I could eat.

If I should visit again, my number one priority would be not to be there alone this time. In 3 out of 4 weeks I spend there I was the only volunteer working there, and I think it would have been even more fun, if there had been just a few more

Response from Volunteering With India

Thank you Nicoline for the review. We wish you best in your studies.

Volunteering With India gives you opportunity to work in India for various development volunteering program including work with children, Orphanage work, Work with elephants,Women empowerment & Theater Volunteer program.