Street Children Volunteer India

Street Children Volunteer India

Would you like to do Volunteer Work With Children in India? If yes, you are in the right place; VWI offers you to work for one of our care project for the children which are found on Streets & are orphans in India.
The reason to starting this project is to the aim of helping and supporting the children in difficult circumstances especially runaways, orphans, and street children in Jaipur, India. It supports and provides community based rehabilitation. Most of these children are kidnapped by criminal gangs in India and forced into doing child labour, or they are left by their parents on railway station, bus stations, and next to traffic signals because of poverty.

Asia » India » Jaipur
Asia » India
Guesthouse
Project Fees: $340 for 1 Week in Total & $160 per week thereafter. No Application Fees required.
What is included: Arrival pickup from Jaipur, Program relevant materials, Accommodation, Meal, Transportation, Visit to local area, Weekend sight seeings of Jaipur Pinkcity & 24 hours of admin support.
What is not included: Tourist Visa, Flights, Internet, Telephone Calls, Insurance Cover, and Airport Drop off.

Travelling as a way of life
Vicente
TOULOUSE
Complutense University of Madrid

Excellent project and staff

Thank you to VWI for such an amazing experience in Jaipur. I participated in the street children project for two weeks teaching English and mathematics. The staff from all the projects is very professional, helpful and friendly which makes it very easy to adapt to the organization. Every morning the taxi driver picks you up and takes you to the school. There you will spend the morning with the children, teaching them basic subjects and doing many activities such as playing, crafts and dancing with them. This was the most rewarding part of the experience. In the afternoons, you have free time to visit the city or do other activities. One evening I went to another project for women empowerment to help them develop skills such as sewing, doing henna drawings or learning English. The staff members are very flexible and accommodating so you can profit 100 per cent of all their organization. If you want to learn about Indian culture and traditions, this is the best way to do it. During the volunteer program you will live with an Indian family where you will be able to get to know their traditions, religion, food…. The host family is very welcoming and helpful. For instance, we were made part in the Sister’s day celebration with the family this special occasion. In the weekends VWI staff also organizes some sightseeing activities to do some tourism around Jaipur. It was really fun as you can spend as much time as you like at the different forts, palaces with other volunteers.
I would definitely recommend for future volunteers to work with the children and women empowerment project

It could be helpful to have some guidelines in advance to know what to teach to the children and how the school works.

John

Great Program

I recently volunteered to teach English and math at the school for street kids. It was a great experience to work with the kids. They were eager to learn and loved to play games and interact with me and the other teachers. The guest house was a nice accommodation and in a very good location to see things in Jaipur during free hours. The only strange thing is the curfew hours, I'm not really used to that as an adult but it wasn't too much of a problem. I wish I would have planned more time to stay because working with the kids was very rewarding and I was able to establish good relationships with several of them in a very short amount of time. The work being done is very important and allows an opportunity to make potentially a life long impact on their lives. I highly recommend the program and would suggest planning some teaching games or activities in advance to make the most of the experience."

Maybe creating a set curriculum for the kids and preparing teachers a bit more ahead of time.

prof photo
Melissa
Miami, Florida
Miami International University of Art & Design

VWI - Street Children Program

I participated in the Street Children Program through Volunteering With India, and every minute of the program was incredible. From the moment I arrived in Jaipur I felt at home. Sukret met me at the airport and drove me to my host family's home. Every morning our host family prepared a wonderful breakfast for us, before our driver (Tota Ram- who is amazing!!) would pick us up and take us to the school to teach and play with the children. Teaching the boys English was the highlight of my trip! Everyday they are eager to learn and excited to play new games. The boys greeting us with smiles each morning made for a really rewarding experience. I also learned how to cook chapati, while helping prepare lunch for the boys one day. Govind and Sukret are so kind and helpful with guiding you throughout the entire experience. My host family left an imprint on my heart - my trip would not have been the same without them. Thanks to my host family, I was able to see Jaipur and Indian culture through an authentic perspective. I learned a lot about traditional food, Hinduism, family practices, fun local activities like flying kites. One night I went to the local temple with one of the family members. I will never forget how welcome my host family made me feel - they will forever be extended-family in my heart. I also became close with my fellow volunteers, and have made new friends for life. I will definitely stay in touch with everyone from the program, the entire experience was unforgettable. I will be back. If you are considering this program, don't think twice - just sign up!

Daniela
Zürich, Switzerland

Gap Year experience

In February 2016 I finally had the chance to visit India. It was a big dream since I was a little kid, but I never had the time to go. Since I took a whole year free before going to university in Zürich I decided to go volunteer. While I was searching online for an organization I got in touch with an old high school friend which told me about this organization in Jaipur. She went there last year and told me about her good experience. My parents were scared to let me go to India all alone, especially since I'm a girl and I have never been there. After several conversations I could finally convince them and I started to prepare myself for this big trip. I was really excited, since I went already to teach a few weeks before in a local school in Zambia. I knew though it would be different this time, because we would be taking care of a whole class ourselves.
As soon as I arrived at the airport Sukret was waiting for outside as promised. He brought me to the guest house I would be spending the next 3 weeks. The location for the house was amazing and the family was really nice. I needed a bit time thought, to get used to the spicy food. :)
Felipe, the other volunteer staying in the guest house during my time, and me, became really good friends, he even came to visit me in Europe a few weeks ago and at the moment I am planning to go visit him in his Hometown in Colombia.
The teaching was a bit hard at first, because we didn’t had enough help from the staff. We had a schedule to follow, like first math then english etc but they didn’t gave us any instructions for the subjects itself. After a few days we started to be creative and organized our own schedule. It was funny that after a few weeks exactly this became one of the positive parts of teaching. Since we didn’t had any instructions on what we had to teach we were really free and could take for example enough time for each student on any task we gave them. We could create our classes really fun to make the boys learn in a creative way.
Surprisingly I must say, that I felt really safe during my whole stay in Jaipur. Whenever we needed some help Govind, Sukret and the house family were free to help us or even drive us somewhere.
I hope that I will have the opportunity again to visit India and whenever I do, I will make sure that I can pass by in Jaipur and say hi to everyone.

As I mentioned, in the beginning it was a bit hard as a volunteer to know how and what to teach the boys. It would be easier for future volunteers if in the first few days the staff would help us a bit more while planing our classes or teaching.

Von
Darlington
University of York

First time travelling abroad, First time in India and First time Volunteering

I was a total newbie when it comes to travelling. Deep inside, I felt excited but nervous at the same time. However, I had no regrets on taking part of the volunteering programmes in Jaipur. The people who I worked with made it so much easier to settled in the place and their reliability made me feel confident that I would enjoy every bit of my experience in Jaipur. The guest house was cheap yet the service was good. I have enjoyed their vegetarian meals and the hospitality that the family has presented whilst staying in the house. Even though I only had a week of volunteering, I thought that I have learned so many things that haven't even crossed in my mind. Working with elephants made me aware of their situation and I am proud that I have taken care of their welfare. I have also enjoyed working with children, teaching them English alphabet and addition and subtraction. I feel that my small efforts on being there with them and interacting with have contributed to their personal growth and hopefully, these children would be successful as they can be. The city itself is full of attraction such as palaces and forts that made me love India more. I wish I had stayed a bit longer and I am sure that there's more to explore. Being a first timer, I would definitely recommend this experience to anyone regardless of their background

I wasn't really a fan of the city traffic. Otherwise, just continue the good work of the programmes!

Matthew
New York City

Getting to know Jaipur

Volunteering in Jaipur for two weeks gave me new perspective on many levels. Living with a lovely family showed me how the culture lives and worships. I enjoyed their food and hospitality. Talking to different members of the family and hearing their views on daily life. The similarities and differences. I remember watching their version of America's Got Talent. Working in the orphanages teaching english and music to the boys was very rewarding and fun. I felt close to these kids after only spending a week with them. Sharing different kinds of music they had never heard before and teaching them about instruments they had never seen was exciting. The smiles from these kids lifted my heart and mind and I didn't want to leave.

Olivia
England
Keele University

Unforgettable experience

My father and I had a truly amazing time with volunteering with children India and have so many unforgettable memories! I was travelling on my gap year and my father had some time off work!

The pick up from the airport was prompt and the Indian family who kindly took us into there home were so welcoming! They provided lovely vegetarian meals with and endless supply of chai tea which are great! The family also had Internet which was great to Skype people back home!

Teaching the street children in the school was a truly rewarding experience! The children were so excited and eager to learn from us! We taught a wide variety of subjects from English and maths to art, dance and singing! Neither of us had any experience of teaching in the past so we did a lot of improvising but the children were so great! I will always remember one little boy who loved to dance like Michael Jackson and his favourite thing to do was the moon walk!

We were provided with meals every day at the school and ate with the children.

To conclude we had a truly unforgettable time with volunteer with children India and would not change anything! If you want to experience the true India this is a great opportunity!

A list of supplies that could be brought and hours teaching to plan lessons

Justine
London
Goldsmiths- University of London

The best time of my life

There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think back to my time in India. I went with my mother 3 years ago now, when I was only 19 years old. I had been to India before, so I had an idea of what to expect. What I didn't expect, though, was how much more I could fall in love with this place and with every single person we met. We had looked around a lot before we went, to see who we would like to volunteer for. Sukret was the first person to answer the many emails we had sent out to various volunteer groups, and as soon as we had read it we were sold and never looked back. The organization of everything was impeccable! The family we stayed with are so unbelievably welcoming and will help you with anything you may need. The food is amazing, and their company is amazing. One thing that has to be said is that this is in no way an easy experience. Working with boys that have been through a lot of unthinkable things is hard to comprehend and very emotional. We soon realised that teaching them English and maths was not the most important part. Some of the boys had never had the opportunity to just be kids. Simply letting them play, making them smile and laugh, giving them cuddles and allowing them to be children was what a lot of them needed! Letting them learn through play was one of our many goals, and we couldn't have done it without the amazing help from Govind who translated for us and brought much joy to the boys as well.
The days can be long and hot, and after a day with the boys we could always look forward to a warm cup of Chai with Govind and our lovely tuctuc driver Totoram on our way home.
If you are there for a long time, Sukret and Govind have many ideas for things you can do over the weekends. They took us to a tiger safari, where we unfortunately did not see any tigers but still had such an adventure just getting there! Such great company:) India is a beautiful country that 'attacks' every single one of your senses - smells, noises, tastes and colours. Be prepared to be amazed! I would recommend this programme to anyone and everyone. I will never forgot this experience and truly hope to come again one day! We miss you all and think about you all the time. See you soon!

Adrienne
Chicago, Illinois

Great Experience!

I spent one week working with children at this center through VWI in February of 2015. This program is my favorite program so far at VWI ( I have also done 2 weeks working with Elephants and 1 week working in the women's program.)
While I was there, there were about 7 boys at the center of ages ranging from 6 to 14.
The boys come from being rescued from child labor in factories throughout India. While I was there one little boy had just come from Bangalore. Sometimes these children are kidnapped and forced to work long hours for food. Other children were given up by their families due to extreme poverty and inability to feed and care for them.
It's an extremely sad situation, but when you see the transformation of the boys first hand from when they arrive, to after being at the center for a few days it is so worth it. The boys stay at this center until either the organization can find their families, or if it was their family that abandoned them, they find a permanent facility or foster home for them. So boys are always coming and going.
I feel like I have had the most impact in this program than any other volunteering I've done in any other country.
As a volunteer, you are picked up in the morning and head off to the center. Govind is usually the interpreter, and he's amazing with the boys! We usually started by playing some classroom games with the boys, like duck duck goose or the hokey pokey. Afterwards we'd go over English (this is a bit tricky as you are dealing with a wide range of ages and abilities.) Mostly you go over the alphabet, we would also have them name animals or objects that started with that letter in English. We'd also go over English names for colors, and have the boys find things in the room that were blue or green etc. We'd spend some time on math as well by just writing out problems on the board and helping them solve them.
After a few basic lessons, you can do some crafts or coloring with the boys.
It's a good idea to either purchase some things for crafts at the market or bring them with you from home.
I brought some washable paint, fabric markers, and workbooks/coloring books from the dollar store back home, as well as a soccer ball, some jump ropes and crayons.
This is a charity organization, so while supplies are provided for you, they are usually fairly used and beat up. The children loved the soccer ball, as their old ball had a leak and was pretty much a flat ball they would kick around. Anything you can bring is very helpful and greatly appreciated.
We also bought some things from a local market in Jaipur, some wooden stamps, dish soap to make bubbles, and plain t shirts for the boys to decorate.
One day we had them use the fabric markers and write their names on the plain shirts and then decorate them with stamps and drawings. It was huge hit. I don't think many of the boys had much if anything that was theirs alone.
Another day we made bubbles out of dish soap and play in the yard with them. We also did jump rope, colored, played soccer, and had a silly string fight.
After the boys play in the yard, they are served lunch. The man that makes lunch may pull you and have you help him prepare the food. This is pretty easy and kind of fun to do. Then you bring the boys into the bed room area pass out rice, dal, and chapati for them and supervise them while they eat. If there is time while you are waiting for your ride back to show up, the boys usually appreciate if you draw something on the board for them to copy and color.
This is a great program. The boys are amazing, and it's a wonderful feeling to be able to help a child who has just come out of a horrible situation have fun, grow, and learn. Please consider this program, even a week is so worth it!

You will have a better experience if you bring some supplies with you for this program. Crayons, markers, coloring books, work books, play items such as balls, jump rope etc. are usually needed!

Sara
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

A memorable experience:

As a seventeen-year-old Moroccan girl who had never set foot on India before and who had no idea what kind of journey she would embark in, I should say I will never regret my choice of volunteering with VWI. It was by far one of the most powerful and meaningful experiences of my life! My arrival pick up service was good. I came to Jaipur before the expected time because my flight from Delhi left earlier, but I only had to wait for 10 mins before getting picked up. The host family is a real joy to be with. I had a wonderful time with them, and I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. While the accommodation was fairly comfortable, the food was IRREPROACHABLE! Indian mommy probably serves the best chais and chapatis in town! Transportation service is very efficient and the project staff members are so nice and sympathetic. I decided to volunteer with VWI because I wanted to volunteer with abused kids in India during my school’s winter break, so I did a google search for volunteer programs in India and VWI was honestly the best I could find, not only in terms of costs, but also and most importantly in terms of flexibility and variety of project offers . I would like to give 10 out of 10 to the Organization. I have had such a great time with VWI. The host family, the accommodation, the food, the transportation and my work at the center...everything was so perfect! I could hardly complain about anything. Also, I would like to add that the tons of hope and happiness that was transmitted to me every working day through the kids' genuine smiles are probably the memories I will cherish the most out of my volunteer experience. I am so thankful for everything. Thank you VWI!

Hilde
Bergen Norway

A wonderful month in Jaipur!

My younger daughter, Tini and I were fortunate enough to be able to spend the month of April voulenteering for The working with Children Project, set up through the Voulenteering with india (VWI) Organization.
It was an amazing and humbling experience, which I will recommend for all those interested in getting to truly know India and in making a small difference.
Our main objective was to teach English, Maths and Art and Craft/life skills.
Teaching is a huge challenge given the difference in age range and the boys various degrees of education. Most did not speak a word of english either.
We were lucky to be 2 and found it useful to divide the boys into different groups in which we were able to adjust our teaching to better suit their needs.
We started our days with English, everyday repeating days of the week, which day is it today, yesterday, tomorrow. We worked with basic knowledge as the alfabet, colours, months, seasons, fruit, vegatables, parts of the body etc. We then connected these topics with the other subjects, which included drawing and colouring fruit and vegetables, give them a price, drawing money, setting up "stalls" where the boys had to be customers and merhants greeting eachother politely, buying and selling, working out change etc. We all really enjoyed this!
Some of the boys were really clever in maths solving all the work we could give them easily. Others had no experience at all and we worked on really basic numers and adding single figures. We played with dice and counted dots.
In Arts and Craft the skills were also very variable. We worked on simple shapes, put these together to make simple drawings. Sometimes we read stories which our intepreter translated to Hindi, then we made drawings on the blackboard connected to the story which the boys copied. We also drew typical scenes from the different seasons in our country, showed the pictures from Norway, which they had to copy, we talked about continents, countries and capital cities. We played board games and did jigsaws.
I will recomend to bring materials from home if at all possible. We managed to buy some materials in Jaipur, but found the supply was very limited. Paint, colours, scissors, rubbers, pencil sharpeners and definately items showing letters and numbers.- but also simple board games! Memory was a big winner! Anything suitable for indoor activity.
Most of all we tried to be there for the boys - tried to make them smile and laugh - praising their work and effort, trying to help and encourage them to take a step forward however small.
The VWI organization was faboulous! Sukret organized everything perfectly, all meetings and pick ups and trips were without fault, Govind our intepreter was soo sweet, both with us and the boys. Our driver Totoram was fantastic mastering the eratic traffic in Jaipur, and we soon deared to keep our eyes open! - He also knows the best place for strong sweet Chai where we all used to end up after work.
We were also pleased with our accomodation, a far cry from a luxury hotel, but all the same a safe and quite place that felt strangely like home!
VWI certainly made us feel comfortable and welcome! We also had a super week end away on safari with Sukret and Govind. Thank you Sukret, Govind (must get your mums receipe for that peneer dish!) and Totoram! - And thank you to Ramesh at Bal Basera and last but not the least our sweet, sweet boys !!

VWI could post a list over items each procject needs/could make use of!
The project could have a diary where the voulenteers could give a short description of what they have been teaching and how they have approached the different subjects.

Beth
New York
Russell Sage College

Overall Amazing!!!

Recently I spent 3 weeks volunteering for The Working with Children Project, set up through the Volunteering with India (VWI) Organization. Overall the experience was amazing and worthwhile, highly recommended for those interested in travel and making a difference.
When volunteering for The Working with Children Project, the volunteer’s main objectives are teaching English and Math, although the work day also includes a dance time prior to lunch and arts and crafts/ life skills project in the afternoon. Teaching can prove difficult at times given the age range of the students and the various degrees of education. One suggestion when possible is to place the children into groups depending on education level and creating lessons for each level. Another suggestion is to bring materials from home if available or wanted, for example glue sticks, scissors, pencils, as classroom materials are limited.
Given the language barrier, teaching can be difficult although an English/ Hindi interpreter is assigned to the various volunteer sites. Despite this, remember that when volunteering you are having a small but very significant impact on the children in a very turbulent time in their life.
As for the VWI organization, enough praise cannot be given. Sukret, the site coordinators/ interpreters, and the organizations personal Tuk-tuk driver are all very accommodating, knowledgeable and personable. In relation to the cost of the program, the amount received is generous. Included is the guest house accommodations which is defiantly more than expected, 3 meals a day, transportation to and from volunteer sites and most local/ site-seeing in Jaipur. Volunteers are made to feel comfortable and welcomed, questions and concerns are promptly addressed and safety was not a concern. Overall I found this experience amazing, one which I hope to have again. Thank you Sukret and VWI!!!

I would have liked to have been put into contact with the Director of Taabar School and Orphanage (the volunteer site) prior to arrival. To have known what to expect could have meant being better prepared and a chance to bring supplies.

Valentina
Bologna

Great experience

Working in a friendly environment with kids that gave me a lot of energy, joy smiles, was the best way to get to know a different culture. Maybe language could be one difficulty but I was always surronded by people that spoke fluent English and that were happy to help me all the time

Maybe I´ll try to organize more group volunteering even for people that come by themselves

Response from Volunteering With India

Thanks Valentina for giving us 100% rating. We are looking forward to see you soon in the project.

Alex
Perth, Australia
University of Western Australia

An Amazing Experience!!!

Thank you for such an amazing volunteering week in India, I could not have hoped for something more fulfilling, colourful and exciting!
I participated in the street children project for 1 week teaching classes of English, mathematics, arts and games to previous street kids of Jaipur. I also volunteered for one day at the elephant project and made some big, big elephant sized chapati!
On top of volunteering we also celebrating the holy day kite festival with the children making kites and eating sweets on a rooftop, visited the Krishna temple at night, ate delicious Pani Puri and Indian desserts at markets and celebrated an engagement and wedding party with VWI staff! During our stay we lived with a host family, we had many delicious meals and watched lots of bollywood! From start to finish everything was well organised. Definitely would love to come back at some point!!! :)

Could have not have been more amazing!

Response from Volunteering With India

Thank you Alex for the review. We also appreciate your hard work in the center. We wish you will have best time. Hope to see you seen here :)

Irene
Adelaide, Australia
University of Adelaide

Change lives of children in India

Having not been to India before, it was a blessing for me to experience India with the organisation, Volunteering With India (VWI)!!

They were super professional in communicating with me before I arrive in India and the program fees were so reasonable comparing with some other organisation! (Some of well-known, big volunteer organizations are ridiculously expensive for not so valid reasons! Never pay thousands.... Do your own research!)

VWI helped me tremendously to do volunteer works as easy as possible by arranging transport (taxi) everyday to the volunteer organization and lovely accommodation where has Indian family feeling. Not only that, they really looked after me and other volunteers from various countries like personal friends and I had such a personal and fantastic experience with real local people!
And thanks to VWI, they really chose best NGO that I can possibly imagine and I had life changing time with children who were rescued from streets.
If I go back to India, I will definitely visit & work there again.

Hope my feedback helps you to make decisions! :-)

Sorry- cant think of any.

Response from Volunteering With India

Thank you Irene for the review. You were also a good volunteer in the project. The community enjoyed working with you. We wish you will have great time in your life.

Volunteering With India gives you opportunity to work in India for various development volunteering program including work with children, Orphanage work, Work with elephants,Women empowerment & Theater Volunteer program.