View Other Details
Volunteer with Orangutans, gibbons, a baby Sun Bear, Crocodiles and various birds. This centre near the city of Yogyakarta is making good strides towards helping the animals brought into the centre.
Java is the main gateway for wild animals being smuggled illegally from the islands of Borneo and then shipped off alive and dead around the world. The centre works closely with the government and royal family to help confiscate wild animals smuggled in from Borneo and other forests. You will have a direct hand in animal rescue and rehab, and impact the local community.
FUZE volunteers pay a fee in order to cover the cost of their stay and to contribute to FUZE's programs. Your fee will feed an orangutan, rescue a sun bear, give someone a job, and help save our planet and animals. It helps us make an impact in the community and provides you with an amazing Indonesian experience!
- Yogyakarta is the cultural capital of Java and there are plenty of things to see and do on your days off.
- Join a range of traditional and local cultural experiences including gamelan lessons and batik lessons.
- Become personally acquainted with the 7 orangutans currently living at the Centre.
- Shadow the centre's animal keeper - experience firsthand and ask questions directly.
Since the Jogja Wildlife Rescue Centre has been running, we have:
• Rescued & housed 186 animals
• Confiscated & rescued 38 animals from illegal wildlife trade
• Released 20 animals back into the wild including a Javan eagle in 2016
• Initiated & developed the successful kids club, focussing on environmental sustainability
• Continued teaching at the community English club
• Held information booths to teach tourists about animal welfare and keeping endangered animals out of the pet trade
FUZE ECOTEER has:
• Reached out to 10 families through Javan dinners
• Contributed RM3,600 to those families for hosting the dinners