Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Kenya

Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Kenya

Become a valued volunteer in Kenya with Projects Abroad! Every year we send hundreds of volunteers to Kenya to take part in projects that include: Teaching, Sports, Conservation & Environment, and Childcare. We also have internships in the Medicine & Healthcare field, including in Nursing, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Occupational Therapy and General Medicine. This is your chance to enhance your skills in a setting where volunteers can make a profound difference.

During your time as a volunteer with Projects Abroad you will have the opportunity to travel and explore Kenya. This is a beautiful country and we're proud of the work we're doing here.

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Select your own start date and duration
  • Get 24/7 support from the local staff
  • Make a difference where it is needed most
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends
Africa » Kenya
See website for prices.
Nanyuki

Erin
Cedar Falls, Iowa
University of Northern Iowa

A once in a lifetime experience

My experience in Kenya is one I will certainly never forget. From the outstanding staff, to making friends from all over the world; seeing elephants and giraffes, to helping improve the living conditions for less fortunate people, this experience opened my eyes to a whole new world. During my four weeks in Kenya, I stayed at a beautiful home with a welcoming family. The kids in the house kept me on my toes, and the adults provided authentic Kenyan meals.

When I wasn't at home, I was spending an average of 6 hours a day at a school called The Fountains. There, I was working alongside a teacher to help 2-4 year olds learn English. This, being my first real experience as a teacher, helped me to build up my confidence being in front of a class. I learned how different schools work in Africa, and was able to give suggestions based on what I have learned in college as an Education major.

To be honest, I was quite nervous going into this experience. I have never really left the country before, so this was a big step for me. My mother was even more worried, but those nerves got put to rest when I told her how outstanding the staff was. There are four main coordinators in Nanyuki, Kenya, and they all exceeded my expectations. This experience wouldn't have been nearly as great without their hard work, dedication, kindness, and perseverance. They were constantly catering to our needs, and making sure we had the best experience possible. They organized medical outreaches, a day to teach a kindergarden in the slums how to properly wash their hands and brush their teeth, a soccer day with an orphanage, a renovation day, and much more. We even ended up getting so close that all of the volunteers and volunteer coordinators went to dinner before we all had to leave. Overall, I would highly reccommend this experience, and push for you to choose Kenya as your destination!

I don't have really any problems with this program. The only thing I would change if I could, would be the arrival process. It was a bit hectic and overwhelming, and could be improved.

Emilee
Western Michigan University

Care placement in Kenya

Traveling overseas for the first time by yourself can be a very overwhelming scary experience. The Projects Abroad staff helped make my pre-departure, arrival, time in Kenya and departure as smooth as possible. The staff opened me with welcoming arms and made sure that each day I was in Kenya was a positive experience for me. They constantly checked in on me and made sure that I was happy in my placement, happy with my host family and happy with the overall experience. I was not 100% happy with my first care placement so they helped find me a placement where I found my true calling. I would not have made it through my time in Kenya without them!
Also with the support of my host family, I had the most amazing experience in Kenya. My host family was so caring and loving which helped make me feel even more comfortable with them. They always had breakfast, lunch and dinner ready for me. They always asked about how my day was and listened to all of my stories, just like my own parents would have. They asked questions and helped me understand why some of the people do what they do in Kenya. When I left I truly felt like their home was mine and they were my own family. They were incredible.
The other volunteers I met in Kenya soon became close friends. They helped make my time in Kenya even more memorable. We constantly shared adventures and stories and helped push each other to reach our goals.
Projects Abroad helped make my life time dream come true.

Jessica
Brooklyn, New York

Two Week High School Special with Projects Abroad was awesome!!

I had always been interested in volunteering abroad and decided on joining Projects Abroad for their 2 Week Care and Community project in Nakuru, Kenya. My parents we reassured about safety after reading through continuous satisfactory reviews, and through receiving emails and phone calls from both the Kenyan and New York Projects Abroad offices.

Upon my arrival to Nairobi, Kenya, I was greeted by two staff members who were very friendly, took my bags, and led me to a minivan with a driver, and two other volunteers who had also recently landed at the airport. We then drove to a guest house were we spent the night before our three hour drive to Nakuru. Once in Nakuru, we arrived at the house of our host mother, Miriam. Miriam had a beautiful, gated, five bedroom home. She was very kind, as was her caring housemaid, Lynette, who assisted us with anything that we needed and cooked our meals. I truly felt at home and comfortable at Miriam’s.

Our work consisted of renovating a classroom in a school that was in bad condition. We worked in the mornings to sand the walls, put in a new floor, and repaint the classroom. We would then go home for lunch, and later tend to children at care centers, such as a baby orphanage. I can’t describe how much our work was appreciated. We even took a Swahili lesson and a local dance workshop. On the weekends we visited lakes, went on a safari, and enjoyed the wildlife and souvenirs at local markets.

I was more than satisfied with my experience with Projects Abroad and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who is interested in seeing the world in a different light. My two weeks in Nakuru were exciting and adventurous, and I’ve created new friendships that I will never forget. I am grateful to Projects Abroad for guiding me through every step of the way of such an exciting moment in my life.

I would have wished to received a schedule from the day we arrived so that I would have known what we were going to do each day, instead of finding out about our plans for the next day, the day before.

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast variety of programs geared towards those