Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Kenya

We went to a kindergarden in the slums to teach them proper hygiene
We went to a kindergarden in the slums to teach them proper hygiene
Soccer day at Hope and Home, an orphanage
Soccer day at Hope and Home, an orphanage
I was able to spend some time with this cutie!
I was able to spend some time with this cutie!
Orphanage work in Kenya with Projects Abroad
Orphanage work in Kenya with Projects Abroad
Volunteer in Kenya with Projects Abroad
Volunteer in Kenya with Projects Abroad

Become a valued volunteer in Kenya with Projects Abroad! Every year we send hundreds of volunteers to Kenya to take part in projects that include: Teaching, Sports, Conservation & Environment, and Childcare.

We also have internships in the Medicine & Healthcare field, including in Nursing, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Occupational Therapy and General Medicine. This is your chance to enhance your skills in a setting where volunteers can make a profound difference.

During your time as a volunteer with Projects Abroad you will have the opportunity to travel and explore Kenya. This is a beautiful country and we're proud of the work we're doing here.

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Select your own start date and duration
  • Get 24/7 support from the local staff
  • Make a difference where it is needed most
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends

Start Planning Next Year's Trip of a Lifetime..

🌍 Explore the world ⭐ Add valuable skills to your resume 📅 28 weeks of travel

We'll take you to five different countries around the world, where you'll gain a whole host of experience to make your resume shine & contribute to a better world.

Discover more & Apply! - Limited spaces available.

Popular Programs

Live in the Kenyan wilderness and join our efforts to protect the endangered Rothschild Giraffe and other African wildlife.

Travel to Africa and get practical classroom experience while helping children improve their English.

Coach sports during physical education classes in Kenya and help students improve their fitness and confidence levels.

Work with disadvantaged children and support early childhood development in Nanyuki.

Jing

So wonderful Kenya trip

I'd been dreaming about a trip in Africa for a so long time and I achieved it with Projects Abroad! At the begining, I was a little shocked by Africa poor villages,but I felt very safe to have a PA staff with me all the time and when I saw the wild animals in the conservation, it's so amazing to me!! I was very happy to get to know people from different countries and they were all interested in environmental protection. What I remember most is the giraffe's graceful walk. The project of PA is of great practical significance to the local area. Our daily work requires a lot of manual labor, which makes me feel that I am helping the local people and animals.We are also helping to build schools for the poor primary schools in the area. The children are very lovely, but many of them don't have shoes. PA has made regular contributions to their daily necessities, and it is nice of PA to make such contributions for a long time. We also made a voluntary donation because I brought many gifts from China. If we go there next time, we will bring more Chinese gifts to them. One candy I've found everyone loves: white rabbit creamy candy! If you don't know this, haha, get one from you Chinese friends~

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Starry sky!! Starry sky!! It's hard to see the stars in our country. On the grasslands of Kenya, camp workers build bonfires at night, and then we talk and look at the stars around the bonfires! This is the best life ~
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Jing,
I’m happy to hear about your fantastic time away with us on our Conservation project in Kenya. Great things are achieved when volunteers join our global community. Your time and effort are greatly appreciated not just by us but by the local community. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Rob

Great experience

I have had the best experience of my life in Kenya! I met the best people from all over the world, the projects abroad staff was amazing as well! Great guidance, amazing job by everyone from Team Projects Abroad Kenya! You change lifes and create the best memories for your volunteers! I am so grateful!
The project was amazing, the childs were the best and way more. Projects Abroad really cares about safety and well-being of their volunteers! But Kenya cannot be the ultimate experience without seeing the epic marvelous wildlife! The organization is supporting her volunteers to do such safaris. And they were great! I saw all the big 5 animals and even more!
The best thing probably is meeting new friends! I still speak the most of them and I am so happy with that!
All the love to projects abroad and their staff. Cheers from a super grateful traveller!
Rob✌
❤❤

Stay long enough!! 5 weeks were flying. Like legit😉
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Rob,
Thank you for leaving such a nice review. We’re delighted that you had a great time while having a profound impact on the local community. We hope that you can join us again in the future on our Care & Conservation Project in Kenya or perhaps a totally different project and destination – there are loads to choose from! See you soon.

Noa

School volunteer/feeding program

I’ve already been to Kenya before I traveled with Projects Abroad, but it was still a new way of seeing the country.
The staff in Nanyuki are the best, sweetest, professional, funny and most friendly people I’ve ever met. They help you with everything and they make you feel welcome from day one.
It’s a good experience to live with a host family and you feel more like home because you’re part of a Kenyan family.
I did my volunteer program in a school where there was a feeding program. We played and made creative things with the kids, and every time I go to Kenya, I go visit the school and the kids and it’s so nice. I did my volunteering with a girl from Italy, and today we are very good friends who still meet up and we traveled back to Kenya together after the program was over. So all in all it was an amazing experience and I’ve made friends for life all over the world. I can only recommend people to go with Projects Abroad and see the world.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
How friendly the Kenyan people are! They are so helpful
Response from Projects Abroad

Hello Noa, I am happy to hear that you had a great experience with the Projects Abroad team. Your amazing effort into the Teaching project in Kenya is hugely appreciated. Let’s start planning your next Projects Abroad adventure!

Chris

Teaching and Working at Queenstar Community Organisation

I arrived back in Nanyuki at a difficult time, just after the terrible events in Nairobi. This had an effect because of a heightened state of alert but the staff were excellent ensuring that we felt safe and secure.

At Queenstar, aged 71 (my 2nd visit). I worked with both the children (teaching English & Environmental Studies) as well as the staff team in developing the concept of community working. We explored a number of areas where community collaboration could be developed in ways that encourage sponsors & others to help them in meeting their objectives.

I was directly involved in the poultry project

After school it was good to be back sharing experiences with other volunteers. As before it felt like we were the United Nations.

Be prepared to get involved - extend yourself - learning from those you are helping and those who are working with you..
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review!

They were indeed horrible times but thank you for giving the country another chance and also for putting your trust in us, we pride ourselves on our Gold standard safety and support.
Your ability to connect across ages and community groups is something to be admired - thank you very much for time and service, it has been great having you!

Should you ever wish to go for your 3rd time (I believe they say everything goes in 3’s) or try your community collaboration skills elsewhere, let me know, we would love to have you!

Wishing you all the very best sir,

Caleb
Projects Abroad - Community Manager

Read my full story
Savannah

Teaching Physical Education- Nanyuki, Kenya

I traveled to Nanyuki, Kenya in June of 2017 and it has been an experience that has changed my life! Just like many first time volunteers abroad my feelings were nervousness, fear of what to expect and home sick, but all those feelings went away within the first week of my placement. I could not have been put at more ease when I walked into the Projects Abroad office the first time and meeting all the wonderful staff. Every staff member was welcoming and wanted to make sure you felt "at home" during your placement. They were there anytime you had a question or a problem. The staff as absolutely remarkable and made my volunteer experience just that much better.
I was placed at a school called Hope & Home where I was teaching Physical Education. This experience was eye opening and I was able to learn a lot about how the schooling works in Kenya and what struggles they face on a daily basis. The staff members at Hope & Home were so welcoming and kind when I first arrived. They all appreciate every little thing you are able to help with and the kids there are so amazing!! On average I would spend about 6 hours a day at my placement and was able to help with not only teaching Physical Education but teaching English as well.
In my free time I was able to explore the town of Nanyuki, go on weekend trips to other parts of Kenya and hang out with the other volunteers. The staff was great in helping you find things to do on the weekends and was able to set you up with someone that could set up safaris and day trips to other locations.
The thing that made this trip wonderful was my host family. My host family was amazing!! They were so welcoming and overjoyed we were staying with them. I loved that they had younger kids and we were able to learn some of the basic cultural traditions during my duration of my stay. Overall, My experience volunteering with Projects Abroad in Kenya was amazing. The staff, my host family and everyone at my placement were amazing. I would recommend this program to anyone that wants to experience something they never have before.

I would have loved to have more days where we were able to learn how to cook traditional African foods. I was able only able to attend 1 and I was there for 5 weeks.
Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Savannah. It's great to hear you had such a wonderful time in Kenya! The children and the families are always happy to receive volunteers from around the world and learn from them, but also teach them about their own culture. We will look into adding more opportunities for teaching traditional African cuisine. Thanks for the feedback!

Brooke

Volunteer with Projects Abroad

My name is Brooke Stoddard, and I travelled to Kenya in October 2017 to volunteer with Projects Abroad. At first, I was quite nervous about the whole adventure, since it was my first time travelling so far from home. Not only was I travelling far from home, I did not know anyone either. When I first arrived, I, as well as many other volunteers, thought "What am i doing here?". However, once I arrived to the Projects Abroad office in Nanyuki, all my stress had dropped off my shoulders. I was so relived. The staff was extremely welcoming, and make 100% certain that all their volunteers are safe at all times. The volunteers felt like family to me for the 3 weeks I was in Kenya. The volunteering was a life changing experience. I was working in the orphanages, and the children are so appreciative of everything we do for them. They simply may just need a smile, or a hug to make a difference in their day. It is truly heart warming. Every week day, all the volunteers were brought back to the Projects Abroad office where we could all interact and socialize with one another, which truly was great. Also, the staff organized social events every week, in order for the volunteers to simply get together and have fun. I guess i could go on and on about this volunteer trip, but if i have one last thing to mention, its that I highly recommend Projects Abroad. They are all simply amazing. From the moment you sign up for the trip, until the last day you leave the destination to go home. I, for one, loved every second of my adventure, and I will certainly be back to volunteer soon with Projects Abroad.

Erin

A once in a lifetime experience

My experience in Kenya is one I will certainly never forget. From the outstanding staff, to making friends from all over the world; seeing elephants and giraffes, to helping improve the living conditions for less fortunate people, this experience opened my eyes to a whole new world. During my four weeks in Kenya, I stayed at a beautiful home with a welcoming family. The kids in the house kept me on my toes, and the adults provided authentic Kenyan meals.

When I wasn't at home, I was spending an average of 6 hours a day at a school called The Fountains. There, I was working alongside a teacher to help 2-4 year olds learn English. This, being my first real experience as a teacher, helped me to build up my confidence being in front of a class. I learned how different schools work in Africa, and was able to give suggestions based on what I have learned in college as an Education major.

To be honest, I was quite nervous going into this experience. I have never really left the country before, so this was a big step for me. My mother was even more worried, but those nerves got put to rest when I told her how outstanding the staff was. There are four main coordinators in Nanyuki, Kenya, and they all exceeded my expectations. This experience wouldn't have been nearly as great without their hard work, dedication, kindness, and perseverance. They were constantly catering to our needs, and making sure we had the best experience possible. They organized medical outreaches, a day to teach a kindergarden in the slums how to properly wash their hands and brush their teeth, a soccer day with an orphanage, a renovation day, and much more. We even ended up getting so close that all of the volunteers and volunteer coordinators went to dinner before we all had to leave. Overall, I would highly reccommend this experience, and push for you to choose Kenya as your destination!

I don't have really any problems with this program. The only thing I would change if I could, would be the arrival process. It was a bit hectic and overwhelming, and could be improved.
Emilee

Care placement in Kenya

Traveling overseas for the first time by yourself can be a very overwhelming scary experience. The Projects Abroad staff helped make my pre-departure, arrival, time in Kenya and departure as smooth as possible. The staff opened me with welcoming arms and made sure that each day I was in Kenya was a positive experience for me. They constantly checked in on me and made sure that I was happy in my placement, happy with my host family and happy with the overall experience. I was not 100% happy with my first care placement so they helped find me a placement where I found my true calling. I would not have made it through my time in Kenya without them!
Also with the support of my host family, I had the most amazing experience in Kenya. My host family was so caring and loving which helped make me feel even more comfortable with them. They always had breakfast, lunch and dinner ready for me. They always asked about how my day was and listened to all of my stories, just like my own parents would have. They asked questions and helped me understand why some of the people do what they do in Kenya. When I left I truly felt like their home was mine and they were my own family. They were incredible.
The other volunteers I met in Kenya soon became close friends. They helped make my time in Kenya even more memorable. We constantly shared adventures and stories and helped push each other to reach our goals.
Projects Abroad helped make my life time dream come true.